PDA

View Full Version : NHC Sent off by your former PE teacher

theonlywayisup
21-01-2019, 01:52 PM
That's what happened to James Milner on Saturday - apologies if already posted before.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46946865

The Liverpool player was sent off against Crystal Palace by referee Jon Moss, who was Milner's PE teacher at Westbrook Lane Primary School in Leeds.

CraigHibee
22-01-2019, 12:20 AM
Class 😁 one of my old teachers at the Royal high used to be a linesman years ago

Hermit Crab
22-01-2019, 12:21 AM
My old PE teacher was involved at Spartans, may have been the manager at one point. Sam Lynch is his name.

Rattler
22-01-2019, 05:39 AM
My old PE teacher was involved at Spartans, may have been the manager at one point. Sam Lynch is his name.

Sam was my old PE teacher as well at Craigmount. Just retired last year.
Ended up also being the guidance teacher for my laddie who’s only 14!

Ringothedog
22-01-2019, 05:47 AM
My old PE teacher Iain Munro at Boroughmuir played for Hibernian.

calumhibee1
22-01-2019, 05:56 AM

Sam Lynch was the co-manager for quite a while at Spartans with Micky Lawson. Packed it in at Spartans probably around 8 years ago or so.

green day
22-01-2019, 06:08 AM
Bobby Ford was a PE teacher at my school - Liberton High.

He used to play part time for Raith, Dunfy etc in the late 70s, early 80s.

This was back in the days of the Terracing and Coo Shed - me and my pals from school used to give him abuse from the sidelines (always ensuring we were hiding behind an adult :greengrin) for a wee giggle.

As an aside, his wee brother was in my big sisters year - Brian Ford - and was a decent footballer too. Was on Hearts books as a youngster, but didnt quite make it.

WoreTheGreen
22-01-2019, 06:49 AM

This was back in the days of the Terracing and Coo Shed - me and my pals from school used to give him abuse from the sidelines (always ensuring we were hiding behind an adult :greengrin) for a wee giggle.

As an aside, his wee brother was in my big sisters year - Brian Ford - and was a decent footballer too. Was on Hearts books as a youngster, but didnt quite make it.

You mean Graham ( i was at Libby too)

southern hibby
22-01-2019, 06:51 AM

I too went to Libby left in 84 and can remember Bobby Ford.

GGTTH

calumhibee1
22-01-2019, 06:53 AM

Quite short and bald? I had a PE teacher at Broughton called Mr Ford but I’ve no idea what his first name was. I’m sure folk used to say he was a footballer aswell. Good guy.

Nakedmanoncrack
22-01-2019, 07:03 AM
My old PE teacher Iain Munro at Boroughmuir played for Hibernian.

Iain Munro was a good player, also capped a few times for Scotland, though not during his time at Hibs.

green day
22-01-2019, 07:31 AM
You mean Graham ( i was at Libby too)

Yes I do, had an early morning moment :thumbsup:

eta - was probably thinking about his mate, also in my sisters year - Brian Donaldson? - who was a goalie on Dundee Utd books at the same time.

Ringothedog
22-01-2019, 08:50 AM
Iain Munro was a good player, also capped a few times for Scotland, though not during his time at Hibs.

He certainly was and we got Ally Scott and Graham Fyffe in a swap deal from the Huns 🤦🏻

BILLYHIBS
22-01-2019, 09:26 AM

Sam Lynch was in my class at Auggies great guy good footballer Celtic supporter!

2 out of 3 ain’t bad! :greengrin

Gettin' Auld
22-01-2019, 10:02 AM
Milner's lucky that he didn't get a few hundred lines too........

Two yellows equal one red

Two yellows equal one red

Two yellows equal one red.......

WoreTheGreen
22-01-2019, 10:37 AM
Yes I do, had an early morning moment :thumbsup:

eta - was probably thinking about his mate, also in my sisters year - Brian Donaldson? - who was a goalie on Dundee Utd books at the same time.

Brian’s sister married Sandy Robertson (ex hun)

FilipinoHibs
22-01-2019, 10:46 AM
That's what happened to James Milner on Saturday - apologies if already posted before.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46946865

The Liverpool player was sent off against Crystal Palace by referee Jon Moss, who was Milner's PE teacher at Westbrook Lane Primary School in Leeds.
My pe teacher once punched me in the face for closing him down too much in a bounce game. Massive fight broke out. Jambo of course.

green day
22-01-2019, 12:42 PM
Brian’s sister married Sandy Robertson (ex hun)

Yep - Sandy was from our neck of the woods too.

We used to see him standing at the same bus stop at The Carlton after we walked up from Easter Road - he was always in his Hun blazer and tie after getting the train back from Glasgow.

zitelli62
22-01-2019, 01:37 PM
Played against Bobby ford when he was with peebles rovers hard wee player but a nice guy.

chasitup
22-01-2019, 02:06 PM
Quite short and bald? I had a PE teacher at Broughton called Mr Ford but I’ve no idea what his first name was. I’m sure folk used to say he was a footballer aswell. Good guy.

Bobby Ford did teach at Broughton in the late 80's too. He was a really good guy. Apparently scored the first goal in the original Premier League or something like that too.

jgl07
22-01-2019, 02:22 PM
My PE teacher, Trevor Porteous, played for Stockport County and had a long spell as player-manager, manager, and general factotum with the club.

We also had Ray Wood who played in goal for Manchester United and survived the Munich air crash. He won two League Championship medals before losing his place to Harry Gregg. He had moved to Huddersfield Town when he started teaching part time.

Moulin Yarns
22-01-2019, 02:22 PM
If you were at Broughton around the early '70s then you would have had' mighty mouse' Ian McLaughlin as head of PE. My shoulder still hasn't recovered from being used as a demonstration of how not to tackle.

al1875
22-01-2019, 02:28 PM
Bobby Ford did teach at Broughton in the late 80's too. He was a really good guy. Apparently scored the first goal in the original Premier League or something like that too.

Showing my age a bit here, but he taught at Newbattle in the mid seventies 😳😳😳

calumhibee1
22-01-2019, 02:30 PM

He must have been at Broughton a good while then as I had him when I started at Broughton in 2002 :agree:

Jonnyboy
22-01-2019, 02:31 PM
Showing my age a bit here, but he taught at Newbattle in the mid seventies 😳😳😳

Showing my age too when I say Bobby Ford was at Liberton at the same time as me. Played in the school football team obviously whilst I played in the rugby team. It’s a toss up as to who committed the most physical challenges 😂

Hermit Crab
22-01-2019, 02:46 PM
Sam Lynch was in my class at Auggies great guy good footballer Celtic supporter!

2 out of 3 ain’t bad! :greengrin

I wonder if you'll know my old man and his mates then? They were all at Auggies along with Sam Lynch.

Lago
22-01-2019, 03:34 PM
Swing that lantern, this is turning into a love in, great, love these sort of threads 😊, unfortunately not being from Edinburgh can't add anything 😪

BILLYHIBS
22-01-2019, 03:40 PM
I wonder if you'll know my old man and his mates then? They were all at Auggies along with Sam Lynch.

Nae bother!

What is your old mans name HC?

OR

Even better the name of one of his mates ?

Billyhibs was my nickname at school because even way back then I was a HIBS nurd!

Mick O'Rourke
22-01-2019, 04:10 PM
Sam was my old PE teacher as well at Craigmount. Just retired last year.
Ended up also being the guidance teacher for my laddie who’s only 14!

I am a year or so older than Sam.
He was mair pally wae ma wee brothers growing up in Clermiston.

Sam indeed was a good fitba' player.
As for being a Celtic fan?

The whole family were, but i don't think they went to many games.

Although Sam's brother became a priest, so he would have got into Celtic Park free back in the day (Easter Road as well at one time.)

Ma faither use to drink wae Sam's (also named Sam) dad in the old Fox Covert Hotel public bar .

Lovely family,the Lynch's.
If you are still in touch,give Sam my regards,Rattler.

Hermit Crab
22-01-2019, 04:59 PM
Nae bother!

What is your old mans name HC?

OR

Even better the name of one of his mates ?

Billyhibs was my nickname at school because even way back then I was a HIBS nurd!

You have a PM.

Hermit Crab
22-01-2019, 05:01 PM
I am a year or so older than Sam.
He was mair pally wae ma wee brothers growing up in Clermiston.

Sam indeed was a good fitba' player.
As for being a Celtic fan?

The whole family were, but i don't think they went to many games.

Although Sam's brother became a priest, so he would have got into Celtic Park free back in the day (Easter Road as well at one time.)

Ma faither use to drink wae Sam's (also named Sam) dad in the old Fox Covert Hotel public bar .

Lovely family,the Lynch's.
If you are still in touch,give Sam my regards,Rattler.

My old man is from Clerrie and went to school with Sam, maybe you or your brothers know him?

linlithgowhibbie
22-01-2019, 05:03 PM

Bobby (and Graham) are my brothers in law. Bobby used to give it tight to me for being a Hibbie when I was going out with/engaged/married to his wee sister.
Graham swapped all the Hibs and Scotland programmes I gave him for a scalextrix set without telling me. I could have murdered him when I found out. Had programmes from the late 50s 60s and whole seasons home and away in the 70s.
Both decent guys for Jambos.
They used to turn out for Alec Millers "Hibs" team that played against Club 86 at Easter road too.
Bobby did score the first Scottish Premier league goal.

NAE NOOKIE
22-01-2019, 05:11 PM
I went to a rugger playing school and the gym teacher was a right bufter …. he once disallowed the only try I ever scored because I celebrated. I still like rugby as a game, but no wonder I have little time for its self absorbing good manners :greengrin

Hermit Crab
22-01-2019, 05:14 PM
I went to a rugger playing school and the gym teacher was a right bufter …. he once disallowed the only try I ever scored because I celebrated. I still like rugby as a game, but no wonder I have little time for its self absorbing good manners :greengrin

I've no heard that since I was at school. :faf:

NAE NOOKIE
22-01-2019, 05:28 PM
I've no heard that since I was at school. :faf:

Still hear it used from time to time around here from us non rugby types. C'mon the Rowse lets give thowse Heriots chaps a sound thrashing … pundy* it Fraser and try to get the ball on the blind side for Gervaise to move it on to Farquhar.

* Nae idea what that means, I heard somebody shout it at a Gala game one time :greengrin

HibbiesandtheBaddies
22-01-2019, 06:05 PM
If you were at Broughton around the early '70s then you would have had' mighty mouse' Ian McLaughlin as head of PE. My shoulder still hasn't recovered from being used as a demonstration of how not to tackle.

I was at Broughton late 70's / early 80's, he loved sending us on laps round the playing fields in the pissing rain. Never a pleasant prospect getting the belt off him either, but not as bad as Mr Aitken the Techy Drawing teacher, he was a vindictive *******! :greengrin

Moulin Yarns
23-01-2019, 08:37 AM
I was at Broughton late 70's / early 80's, he loved sending us on laps round the playing fields in the pissing rain. Never a pleasant prospect getting the belt off him either, but not as bad as Mr Aitken the Techy Drawing teacher, he was a vindictive *******! :greengrin

Aitken once gave me a B in tech drawing for getting 92%, the reason was there were 2 others with 93% and 95% and he could only give a percentage of the class an A. The next parents night was fun when my mum tore a strip of him for making me feel inadequate.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
23-01-2019, 09:42 AM
Aitken once gave me a B in tech drawing for getting 92%, the reason was there were 2 others with 93% and 95% and he could only give a percentage of the class an A. The next parents night was fun when my mum tore a strip of him for making me feel inadequate.

:greengrin He was a bit of a fud right enough.