PDA

View Full Version : Claims to Lame

Carheenlea
21-01-2019, 11:39 AM
When I was in Galway for Christmas and New Year I watched the derby in McGinns Hop House, and Daryl Horgan’s brother works there behind the bar. He wasn’t in working on that day though as he was over for the game.
Anyone else got any equally unimpressive anecdotes or achievments?

G15 Hibs
21-01-2019, 12:26 PM
I once met someone who claimed to know Kate Bush's gynecologist. I have no recollection of who this person was, or when or where the conversation took place. Thinking about it now, I can't be entirely sure it didn't happen to someone on a television programme and not me.

Smartie
21-01-2019, 01:25 PM
My claim to fame when I was wee was that I'd seen Danny McGrain's *****.

Nothing dodgy. My Dad spent a short spell as club doctor at Cowdenbeath (my grandparents knew the Ewings and he was roped in that way). They had a testimonial for one of their players and played Rangers in a friendly with a few special guests playing, including Danny McGrain and John Blackley. That was the first game I ever went to. I got to go into the home changing room after the game to meet all of the players (including the naked and hairy Celtic star.) I boasted about it for a while before realising(the hard way) that it wasn't really cool in any way.

Pretty Boy
21-01-2019, 01:31 PM
I bumped into Ron Atkinsons wife at Tenerife Airport. I apologised, she said it was fine, he started to walk away and she followed.

Smartie
21-01-2019, 01:36 PM
This has the potential to be the best thread in years.

Hermit Crab
21-01-2019, 01:39 PM
I used to work alongside Scott Browns brother, not anymore but in the same industry. Still see and speak to him most weeks. Really nice guy.

Hibee87
21-01-2019, 02:01 PM
My Dad took us to a race course one Friday night in the mid to late 90's, think it was Hamilton, and Billy Dodds was in front of us. My Dad said go and flick one of his big lugs, which I did. Billy Dodds was not amused. :rotflmao:

Hibee87
21-01-2019, 02:03 PM
I also worked at the Highland show for a few years in a row. I was 16 and got to serve Nell McAndrew in the hospitality suite. Was the best day.

hibs#1
21-01-2019, 02:20 PM
My Dad took us to a race course one Friday night in the mid to late 90's, think it was Hamilton, and Billy Dodds was in front of us. My Dad said go and flick one of his big lugs, which I did. Billy Dodds was not amused. :rotflmao:

That would have been hilarious to see.

Smartie
21-01-2019, 02:30 PM

Funny you say that.

I was at Dundee Uni in the late 90s. Billy Dodds had been at United and by this time was a Rangers player. I was in the famous Mardi Gras nightspot with a friend of mine who was a Celtic fan from Ballymena. He said to me in his unique accent "hey Smartie - there's that Billy Dodds. Wouldn't it be funny if I went up and gave him a wedgie?" I agreed, so he went over to give Dodds a wedgie.

I don't know what exactly went wrong but instead of giving him the promised wedgie he only succeeded in lifting an utterly bemused Billy Dodds up into the air and holding him there for a bit before putting him back down again.

It was so much funnier than it sounds.

Peevemor
21-01-2019, 02:52 PM
We sat next to a (then) 36 year old Viv Lumsden who was having a coffee in the Four Winds bar at the Glasgow Garden Festival. When she left one of my pals licked her cup.

MagicSwirlingShip
21-01-2019, 03:20 PM
Lead singer of Runrig bought my Bike as a 5 year old. Came to the house to pick it up after my Dad put an ad in the paper

Peevemor
21-01-2019, 04:25 PM
Lead singer of Runrig bought my Bike as a 5 year old. Came to the house to pick it up after my Dad put an ad in the paperTheir guitarist, Malcolm Jones, could often be found in the West End Hotel in Palmerston Place playing accordion in sessions. He's a good friend of Donald Park.

Scouse Hibee
21-01-2019, 04:53 PM
I once had the pleasure of handing Alex Higgins his balls in a box.

easty
21-01-2019, 06:13 PM
My granny’s cousins son is/was Bobby Sands.

Billy Whizz
21-01-2019, 06:37 PM
Sir Alex Ferguson used to phone my house when he was the St Mirren Manager. My dad started up a really successful boys amateur club in Paisley, and he called about getting some of the boys on trial. Never asked about me though🤣

Hermit Crab
21-01-2019, 06:55 PM
I see all sorts of celebs/dignitaries at work from time to time.

Danderhall Hibs
21-01-2019, 07:30 PM
I worked beside a guy that got “intimate” one Hogmanay with Julia Somerville from ITN news’ nanny.

Carheenlea
21-01-2019, 08:49 PM
I worked beside a guy that got “intimate” one Hogmanay with Julia Somerville from ITN news’ nanny.

This is proper ‘claim to lame’ territory :agree:

Smartie
21-01-2019, 08:54 PM
My granddad's brother's wife's brother scored this goal.

https://youtu.be/ruHAe0rT5Ig

Hibbyradge
21-01-2019, 08:58 PM
I regularly play golf with the guy who was the Bradford City chaplain when they knocked out Arsenal then Aston Villa to reach the league cup final in 2013.

EH6 Hibby
21-01-2019, 09:00 PM
Gerard Butlers brother works for the council. According to the staff directory, he was on the same floor as me when I worked there. I never saw him though.

lapsedhibee
21-01-2019, 09:01 PM
Gerard Butlers brother works for the council. According to the staff directory, he was on the same floor as me when I worked there. I never saw him though.

:faf:

bigwheel
21-01-2019, 09:03 PM
These are magic. Great thread. Keep them coming guys [emoji106][emoji106]

Smartie
21-01-2019, 09:07 PM
Steve Clarke's cousin once stank out a pub I was in with some totally rancid farts.

Alfiembra
21-01-2019, 09:23 PM
In 1972 I was 15 years old and went to watch the John Player Classic golf competition at Turnberry. I was watching some of the Pro’s tee off from the famous lighthouse hole which is a remote tee separated from the fairway by rocks and cliffs. The players would walk out to the tee and the caddies would wait for them down the fairway. One of the players duffed his tee shot into the sea and didn’t have a spare ball with him. So I got to run the 200 yards down the fairway to get a second ball from the caddy and run all the way back with it. Thankfully he kept that one in play. Can’t even remember who it was either.

calumhibee1
22-01-2019, 07:04 AM
A guy I work beside at work claims he bought the Scottish referee from Gladiators house off him. It apparently has an oil painting of the referee on the wall of one of the walk-in wardrobes.

The guy isn’t all quite there so I’m fairly certain it’s not true.. although how could you ever make something so out the blue up :greengrin

Pretty Boy
22-01-2019, 07:45 AM
When I was on a duty manager shift in a hotel I had to go and deal with a guest complaint in one of the rooms. One of the porters was delivering a room service breakfast to the room next door. The door was answered by Dougie Vipond wearing a dressing gown.

Hibrandenburg
22-01-2019, 08:19 AM
I saw Princess Anne having a slash. I still get flashbacks.

Mixu62
22-01-2019, 08:24 AM
Met Graeme Sounness at the old asda. It was a "meet the fans" thing before the world cup. Must have been 1982.

Slapped chic youngs badly heid outside hampden before a cup semi-final. He wasn't amused.

lyonhibs
22-01-2019, 08:56 AM
I went for a mistimed slash when in Dortmund with the TA and missed Chick Young coming round doing his "meet the fans" spraff. My mates got a photo with him and everything.

I used to work with Gabriel Batistuta's cousin in Oxford. He didn't have much interest and casually mentioned the fact that his cousin had been a footballer as if we were talking about some 2nd division clogger.

I once served Garry O'Connor at the Sainsbury's right next to the Odeon on Morrison Street.

Hibbyradge
22-01-2019, 09:40 AM
My wife's pal is Rick Wakeman's neice and I've met her loads of times.

Danderhall Hibs
22-01-2019, 09:49 AM
I’ve got 12 mutual connections on LinkedIn with former Hibernian cup winning legend Kevin McCann but I’ve never met him.

matty_f
22-01-2019, 10:11 AM
Sol Bamba's gardner in Dunfermline used to also cut my grass, he took one of my son's Hibs tops to get signed and turned up one evening with a match-worn shirt from Bamba.

My wife's cousins are Steven Tween and racing driver Gordon Shedden.

A few years ago I did stewarding at a festival in Fife called the Big Stooshie, I was in charge of the campsire (which was dead, lucky if there were 20 tents in there), and I ended up speaking to a guy who was in Mott the Hoople (I had no idea).

Hibbyradge
22-01-2019, 10:15 AM
I was in a London pub when Jason Isaacs walked past in the street.

I had my back to the window so I didn't see him.

Danderhall Hibs
22-01-2019, 10:24 AM
I was in a London pub when Jason Isaacs walked past in the street.

I had my back to the window so I didn't see him.

Tremendous.

Scouse Hibee
22-01-2019, 10:55 AM
Kylie Minogue stayed at the Caley when I was Security manager, I was on days off and never saw her.

McSwanky
22-01-2019, 11:02 AM
I've had sex in one of the Proclaimers' old bed (can't remember which one).

matty_f
22-01-2019, 11:18 AM
Coolio came into the McDonald's I worked in at Meadowbank.

My sister was in a record shop and saw Noel Gallagher there, she also queued behind Mark Lammar in Toys R Us.

matty_f
22-01-2019, 11:30 AM
I was just reminded of another one by another thread on this forum, I once hired a guy to work for HSBC who is pals with the Twilight Sad. I never met them or that, and he didn't know them at the time.

hibee_girl
22-01-2019, 11:33 AM
My granny’s neighbour’s neice is married to Noel Gallagher. He’s apparently been to visit but I’ve never seen him.

Paul Kane ate my tub of raspberry ripple ice cream on Scottish Cup Final day. Or so I’ve been told, I was only about 2 :greengrin

David Moyes has been in my house as my mum knew his then girlfriend. I slept through it.

Peevemor
22-01-2019, 11:48 AM
I've met, played with and know a good few people who are well known in the traditional music world. That may impress some people, but most will have no idea who or what I'm on about.

However,

Clare Grogan once blew in my bagpipes (that's probably my no. 1).

I did a concert in LA with an orchestra and choir directed by a Scot called John Currie. I discovered only recently that his son is Justin from Del Amitri. Edit: I just remembered that Ali Osman from Eastenders was on the same flight going across.

I once had a couple of drinks with Glen Michael - a very sound, funny guy.

I got blootered in Balerno (Kestrel Hotel) with Alex Salmond - also very funny.

I once walked down Dundas Street behind Cliff Richard (he was in a musical at the Playhouse at the time).

JeMeSouviens
22-01-2019, 11:50 AM
I met a guy at a party last year that went to school with Radiohead's drummer. They're still pals.

My friend's wife used to live with the guy who's Jimmy Perez's daughter's real father in Shetland.

I once went for a pee in the West stand toilets nearest hospitality and was joined at the trough by Pat Stanton and a Proclaimer (Charlie I think). What a moment.

hibee_girl
22-01-2019, 11:53 AM
I've met, played with and know a good few people who are well known in the traditional music world. That may impress some people, but most will have no idea who or what I'm on about.

However,

Clare Grogan once blew in my bagpipes (that's probably my no. 1).

I did a concert in LA with an orchestra and choir directed by a Scot called John Currie. I discovered only recently that his son is Justin from Del Amitri.

I once had a couple of drinks with Glen Michael - a very sound, funny guy.

I got blootered in Balerno (Kestrel Hotel) with Alex Salmond - also very funny.

I once walked down Dundas Street behind Cliff Richard (he was in a musical at the Playhouse at the time).

You’ve just reminded me Glen Michael came to visit the Sick Kids hospital when I was in after having my appendix out. Almost worth all the pain just to meet him :greengrin

Bangkok Hibby
22-01-2019, 12:38 PM
Great thread...

I've made a cup of tea for Moira Anderson (younger members need to Google)
Kissed Kiki Dee
Worked with Billy Lyall of Pilot
Currently work with Anne Lundon's cousin
My Mum was nearly knocked down crossing Albert Street by Willie Ormond

McSwanky
22-01-2019, 01:03 PM
A mate of mine once literally bumped into comedian Stewart Lee on the street. Apparently the fat Ratko Mladic lookalike was not best impressed. Sadly, Lee didn't say anything funny or offensive, which I am slightly disappointed by.

Caversham Green
22-01-2019, 01:10 PM
I had a client who did the catering for parties at Ringo Starr's house.

I walked past Liam Gallagher and Patsy Kensit in Puerto Banus and only twigged it was them about five minutes later.

I once shoved past Richard Harris in a London pub. He was one big guy.

John Blackley married my mum's cousin. Sad to say I've never met him but he did get autographs of the Hibs squad for me many years ago.

patch1875
22-01-2019, 01:16 PM
Had a drink with Tony Sirico(the Sopranos) at the Delano in Miami.

nellio
22-01-2019, 01:30 PM
I served Trevor Brookings wife when I worked in Sainsburys in Cardiff before the West Ham Liverpool FA cup final.

Nicky Wire from the Manics used to frequent a music shop I worked in so spoke to him once or twice.

Stood behind "Huw" from east enders at a Stereophonics gig.

hibs#1
22-01-2019, 01:33 PM
I once saw Robbie Coltrane in a shop in Balfron he was an absolutely huge guy.

Once saw Liam Henderson in the shopping centre in Livingston.

Peevemor
22-01-2019, 01:38 PM
Great thread...

Kissed Kiki Dee

There was a period when I had a fair bit of contact with some of the White Heather Club crew (and those that followed in their steps). Seriously, these people are not the same as us.

Billy Whizz
22-01-2019, 01:40 PM
Jim Baxter carried me off a plane in the 60’s, he had his leg in a cast at the time

Billy Whizz
22-01-2019, 01:44 PM
When I was in Capri last summer, Rod Stewart and Oenny Lancaster drove past us. My mum spoke to Penny. Tried to talk to Rod about doing another Scottish Cup draw, but he was away becforevi could speak to him

.Sean.
22-01-2019, 01:55 PM
My dad is fairly pally with Pat Nevin having been golfing pals over the years, my dad works at the same place as his brother in law.

My missus cousin is married to the daughter of a politician in America. I met him at a family do on boxing day and if you google his name the first image that pops up is of him standing in the Oval Office with Trump. Pleasant guy.

Danderhall Hibs
22-01-2019, 02:18 PM
My granny’s second cousin was Eammon Bannon. I never met him.

HUTCHYHIBBY
22-01-2019, 02:28 PM

I was knocked down by a Ford Capri on Albert Street in the '70s, don't know who was driving though.

EH6 Hibby
22-01-2019, 02:33 PM
Sol Bamba's gardner in Dunfermline used to also cut my grass, he took one of my son's Hibs tops to get signed and turned up one evening with a match-worn shirt from Bamba.

My sons Granny worked in the dentist that most of the Hibs team go to, she once got Sol Bamba to sign a birthday card for me.

Never met him either though.

Peevemor
22-01-2019, 02:43 PM
I was knocked down by a Ford Capri on Albert Street in the '70s, don't know who was driving though.

:greengrin

hibee_girl
22-01-2019, 03:13 PM
Johnny Vegas stood behind us in a shop queue in Spain, my mum never even noticed him (this is when he was at his biggest!)

Hibbyradge
22-01-2019, 03:17 PM
I saw Steve McLaren playing golf with his dad on an adjacent fairway to the one I was on.

It wasn't raining though.

G15 Hibs
22-01-2019, 03:55 PM
My dad is fairly pally with Pat Nevin having been golfing pals over the years, my dad works at the same place as his brother in law.

I told Pat Nevin to **** off in the bar at the Queen Margaret Union in Glasgow after a Camera Obscura gig. I don't think he heard me.

matty_f
22-01-2019, 04:23 PM
I told Pat Nevin to **** off in the bar at the Queen Margaret Union in Glasgow after a Camera Obscura gig. I don't think he heard me.

I saw Pat Nevin at a Bellen and Sebastian gig (Princes St Gdns), and also at a Chemical Brothers gig in Glasgow, and Neil Lennon at a James gig in Glasgow as well. He was with Gordon Strachan, who is good friends with the band, apparently.

On a tenuous link, Tim Booth has replied to a couple of my tweets and retweeted another.

blackpoolhibs
22-01-2019, 04:43 PM
Got talking to a bloke in my local just before Christmas, he told me he had been the stand in drummer for the group Pilot, they had a couple of hits in the 70s.

He said the main drummer left to join 10cc or a group like that, i forget what he said.

I never caught his name, might have been Billy? :confused:

pollution
22-01-2019, 04:56 PM
Arthur Duncan did my mum's feet.

Hibrandenburg
22-01-2019, 06:36 PM
My old man gave Pat Stanton a lift home after games a couple of times.

G15 Hibs
22-01-2019, 06:56 PM
Had forgotten this one. I used to work with someone who had been in Pan's People. But after they'd stopped appearing on Top of the Pops.

bringbackbenny
22-01-2019, 07:00 PM

Pat Stanton was the security officer at my Mrs's work in the early 90's.

HUTCHYHIBBY
22-01-2019, 07:04 PM
Pat Stanton was the security officer at my Mrs's work in the early 90's.

Benny used to stay next door to my aunt in Balerno.

patch1875
22-01-2019, 07:15 PM

I work with Pat in a car dealer for years.

wpj
22-01-2019, 08:17 PM
Johnny Vegas stood behind us in a shop queue in Spain, my mum never even noticed him (this is when he was at his biggest!)

Was on a train and he was sitting opposite, said hello but he was with his laddie so no one bothered him which he appreciated. Met a few musicians and once told Alex Miller Jim White was on the phone for him in a pub he looked at me and said "are you taking the piss?"

Allant1981
22-01-2019, 08:28 PM
My wifes cousins boyfriend is the nephew of john colquhoun the ex hearts player

blackpoolhibs
22-01-2019, 09:29 PM
I know a well known poster on here who told a d list pool player i know that he was good friends with me, when in reality we've only spoke on here and through a few pm's. :wink: . :devil:

CropleyWasGod
22-01-2019, 09:38 PM
I've met Pretty Boy

McSwanky
22-01-2019, 09:42 PM
Forgot about the time I saw Darren Jackson and a couple of others standing at the bar of a sin to be burnt down part of the Cowgate. I offered to buy him a drink. He said no thanks. Heady days indeed.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Peanut Shaz
22-01-2019, 10:03 PM
I've met Pretty Boy

So have I...I'm his Mum 😁

MagicSwirlingShip
22-01-2019, 10:19 PM
I used to work in a bar beside current MSP, Ben Macpherson.
Great guy!

stuart-farquhar
22-01-2019, 11:13 PM
I sat beside OGS at Manchester Airport when he was taking the U21s on a trip.

matty_f
23-01-2019, 03:43 AM
I worked beside a girl whose sister was a writer on Shameless.

bigwheel
23-01-2019, 05:38 AM
I once sat beside Amy Winehouse at London City Airport ...not a word was spoken between us

Hermit Crab
23-01-2019, 06:40 AM
So far, at work I've met or seen:

Alan Hanson
Ally McCoist
Tam Cowan (twice)
Stuart Lovell
Jeremy Vine
Kirsty Wark (most weeks)
Sir Alex Ferguson
Roy Walker
Ian Duncan Smith
Alex Salmond
Several other different Lords
Jim Goodwin, he's huge!
Pat Nevin
Jimmy Carr
Sheila Hancock

There are others who I've forgotten.

Peevemor
23-01-2019, 07:06 AM
In February 2012 I played at a concert in the Olympia in Paris. It was quite a big deal and there was a party organised afterward, however there was probably about 30 minutes between the end of the gig and the back stage area being open for guests.

During this time I went outside for a fag and heard a couple waiting in the queue speaking English. It was freezing so I told them to follow me. I said to the security/bouncer guys that they were my parents (even though they were only about 10 years older than me) and he let them in.

I got them sorted out with a drink and made small talk with them, eventually asking if they lived and worked in Paris. That was when he told me he was the Irish Ambassador to France. I said something like "Oh s**t! What do I call you? Your excellency? Monsieur l'Ambassadeur?", to which he replied "No. Paul, or dad, whatever you prefer".

Not a celebrity as such but memorable all the same.

Just Alf
23-01-2019, 07:37 AM
Sir Tom made me a (great) cup of coffee.

David Murray got his (lovely) secretary to make me one.

And Wallace Mercer seemed to go out his way to ensure I didn't get one :-(
(one of people later appologised)

I do like my coffee :-)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

HUTCHYHIBBY
23-01-2019, 07:48 AM
Kano gave my 50 goals v Hearts DVD to Russell Latapy, not got it back yet! 😢

Hibbyradge
23-01-2019, 09:34 AM
Arthur Duncan did my mum's feet.

What a pair of perverts. :bitchy:

lyonhibs
23-01-2019, 11:12 AM
I used to work in a bar beside current MSP, Ben Macpherson.
Great guy!

I went to school with him. Good goalie back then, nice guy who's interest in politics struck my teenage self as being a bit earnest and keen to impress. He got the last laugh there I guess.

Celtc fan too.

rodhibs55
23-01-2019, 11:26 AM
I kicked Scott (the jambo announcer tw*t) Wison when he used to play in goals for his department in the Ferranti inter department summer cup.

Hibrandenburg
23-01-2019, 11:38 AM
I used a simple stepover to trick Geebsie into going the wrong way. I still feel this spontaneous game between local rivals Wallyford v Wimpie had great influence in turning him into the stalwart Hibs defender he became.

Billy Whizz
23-01-2019, 01:27 PM
Billy Leckie was in my class at school

bigwheel
23-01-2019, 01:39 PM
Billy Leckie was in my class at school

that should be in the "sat near a prick" thread. :wink::wink: only kidding!

MagicSwirlingShip
23-01-2019, 05:04 PM
I went to school with him. Good goalie back then, nice guy who's interest in politics struck my teenage self as being a bit earnest and keen to impress. He got the last laugh there I guess.

Celtc fan too.

I had no idea of his political leanings back then. Must’ve been 9 or so years ago. Sound guy who made new staff feel welcome.

All power to the guy.

EH6 Hibby
23-01-2019, 11:53 PM
Might have mentioned these ones before on other threads, but Keith Wright bought me a drink in Brannigans at fountainpark. I saw him at the bar and got all excited so offered to buy him a drink, he was so chuffed at being recognised that he bought me one instead. Said he hardly ever got recognised any more.

Lyndon Andrews also tried to chat me up. He was on a night out with a few Hibs players, I’m sure it was after a derby where we’d one on a Sunday night. I had a boyfriend at the time so wasn’t interested, and he was a bit miffed cause I wanted him to introduce me to Mixu and Yogi who were also with him.

Rocky
24-01-2019, 10:07 AM
I was on an SYFA coaching course run by the great Keith Keith Keith. During one of the drills I scored a peach into the bottom right hand corner from a layoff from the great man himself. The crowd went wild as I ran towards the east terracing, arms aloft, hearing them chanting my name*

* That last sentence may not have happened in the real world, seeing as it was actually in Dalkeith. In a sports hall. And naebody cheered. Except maybe me a little bit

bigwheel
24-01-2019, 10:11 AM
I was on an SYFA coaching course run by the great Keith Keith Keith. During one of the drills I scored a peach into the bottom right hand corner from a layoff from the great man himself. The crowd went wild as I ran towards the east terracing, arms aloft, hearing them chanting my name*

* That last sentence may not have happened in the real world, seeing as it was actually in Dalkeith. In a sports hall. And naebody cheered. Except maybe me a little bit

the stuff that fans dreams are made off :not worth

weecounty hibby
24-01-2019, 05:34 PM
My wife's aunty was engaged to Alan Hanson when he signed for Liverpool. She didn't fancy moving so it was all off. He babysat for my wife on occasion. I have never met him.
P.S. he had a lucky escape, the wife's aunty is a total nutball!!

James310
24-01-2019, 06:36 PM
Bought Paul Scholes a drink in Ibiza around 1995. He never thanked me or spoke to me.

Sat next to JK Rowling on a flight and she was reading the Daily Mail and a story about people's dogs that looked like Harry Potter.

Squealing pig
24-01-2019, 06:39 PM
I was seeing an ex stripper who had had sexual relations with Russel Latapy

Wembley67
24-01-2019, 09:37 PM
When Alex Ferguson was at Dunfermline he used to give my mum a lift home regularly trying to get his way, my dad had to threaten him for him to back off.

SRHibs
25-01-2019, 05:16 PM
Had a 20 min conversation with Daley Blind and had no idea who he was. Did the same with the All Blacks and also had no idea who they were.

NORTHERNHIBBY
25-01-2019, 05:30 PM
My missus" oldest niece's partner's great- great uncle was Arnold Ridley from Dad's Army.

Peevemor
25-01-2019, 05:31 PM
Had a 20 min conversation with Daley Blind and had no idea who he was. Did the same with the All Blacks and also had no idea who they were.I don't follow rugby enough to recognise individual All Blacks, but if they were all together it'd probably set me thinking (or running).

Jones28
26-01-2019, 12:00 AM
I don't follow rugby enough to recognise individual All Blacks, but if they were all together it'd probably set me thinking (or running).

On the rugby theme, my wife's friend is married to the nephew of John Beattie. We got steaming at the wedding and my wife sang Van Morrison while John played the guitar.

Hibrandenburg
26-01-2019, 12:49 AM
My mum had her milk delivered by Sean Connery.

Mr Grieves
26-01-2019, 01:02 AM
I work with Scott Pittman's brother and he wind's me up despite not having an interest in football

I was good mates at school with David Elliot who's won a Scottish BAFTA.

Danny_Hibee
26-01-2019, 01:43 PM
My wife's ex-boyfriend was bullied in school by Sam Whitelock, the All Black.

I also bought Jimmy Boco numerous shots of sambuca after Ian Murray's testimonial.

heretoday
26-01-2019, 01:47 PM
When Alex Ferguson was at Dunfermline he used to give my mum a lift home regularly trying to get his way, my dad had to threaten him for him to back off.

He was a right dirty player too. All flailing arms.

James310
26-01-2019, 05:51 PM
On the rugby theme, my wife's friend is married to the nephew of John Beattie. We got steaming at the wedding and my wife sang Van Morrison while John played the guitar.

I worked next to his brother Alan Beattie in the 90s, he told me he was good pals with someone in Primal Scream but can't remember who.

Bangkok Hibby
27-01-2019, 06:29 AM
Great thread...

Kissed Kiki Dee

Simon Cowell kissed my ex wife in Harrods

I was supposed to go to the Cafe Royal after a "band of joy" concert at the Playhouse. Couldn't be arsed and went home, only to be sent photos of Robert Plant in having a pint 😡

Smartie
27-01-2019, 10:29 AM
I worked next to his brother Alan Beattie in the 90s, he told me he was good pals with someone in Primal Scream but can't remember who.

I saw Primal Scream at the first ever T in the Park.

There was about 0.5 seconds footage of me crowdsurfing on the TV coverage.

Allant1981
27-01-2019, 11:08 AM
My wife works with the wife of one of the guys from twin Atlantic, tried to get them to play at my wedding, didn't happen though

matty_f
27-01-2019, 11:11 AM
I saw Primal Scream at the first ever T in the Park.

There was about 0.5 seconds footage of me crowdsurfing on the TV coverage.

My cousins' band supported Primal Scream for a few college/uni gigs in their early days. Bobby Gillespie was in their house for a cup of tea.

Scouse Hibee
27-01-2019, 12:03 PM
I have liaised with the American Secret Service, FBI, MI5, and CIA during a week long conference that took place in Edinburgh which was pretty hush, hush. Had the bonus of being able to socialise with them every night with an unlimited bar tab. Met some great guys and some really unlikely MI5 operatives.

lyonhibs
27-01-2019, 12:16 PM
Gary Dempsey and some other Aberdeen players of the era were in a Glasgow nightclub (I think Bunker or Bamboo) when I was in as a student over a decade ago. They had an away game on the Sunday, this was the Thursday/Friday and they were steamboat. We had an Aberdeen fan in our group so briefly chatted to them. As they were leaving Dempsey said, or rather slurred , "don't tell Jimmy, don't tell Jimmy" as they stumbled out ��

James310
27-01-2019, 04:35 PM
I have liaised with the American Secret Service, FBI, MI5, and CIA during a week long conference that took place in Edinburgh which was pretty hush, hush. Had the bonus of being able to socialise with them every night with an unlimited bar tab. Met some great guys and some really unlikely MI5 operatives.

Can you tell us what the conference was, now it's all over. Or would you have to kill me?

Scouse Hibee
27-01-2019, 04:47 PM
Can you tell us what the conference was, now it's all over. Or would you have to kill me?

It was held in the Caley hotel where I was the security manager, it’s a few years ago now so no problem telling you.

Hibbyradge
28-01-2019, 08:17 AM
It was held in the Caley hotel where I was the security manager, it’s a few years ago now so no problem telling you.

Kill him anyway. Sorry James. :tee hee:

danhibees1875
28-01-2019, 08:36 AM
I used to work as a steward for G4S and was working T in the park in 2011 when Beyonce was there, I was manning the stairs stage left that she came down and at one point the big screens by the stage just had Beyonce and myself on them. Unfortunetaly she took the huff at not being allowed to headline or something so refused rights to broadcast her set - but someone in the crowd who didn't know I was there text me to say she'd seen me on the screen with Beyonce.

I also used to work at Tincastle for G4S and would occasionally get the leftover media pies at the end of the shift that the commentators/reporters didn't fancy eating.

Hibbyradge
28-01-2019, 08:40 AM
I also used to work at Tincastle for G4S and would occasionally get the leftover media pies at the end of the shift that the commentators/reporters didn't fancy eating.

I fell for your Beyonce tale, but I'm not having that.

Pies that the reporters didn't eat. Aye tight. :faf:

danhibees1875
28-01-2019, 08:56 AM
I fell for your Beyonce tale, but I'm not having that.

Pies that the reporters didn't eat. Aye tight. :faf:

:tee hee:

It was Tincastle we're talking about, and in the pre-chips days... fine for a student, but not much else. :greengrin

Hibbyradge
28-01-2019, 09:53 AM
:tee hee:

It was Tincastle we're talking about, and in the pre-chips days... fine for a student, but not much else. :greengrin

Gotcha. So it was only the Daily Star reporter who had one at all. 😁

Jim44
28-01-2019, 11:33 AM
When I was a kid, my dad’s work in Leith docks had a couple of small motor boats. He used to drink in Lawrie Reilly’s pub in Elbe Street and got quite friendly with Him. He invited him and his family to to go on a wee sail over the Forth to Aberdour. We set off on a lovely summer’s day on a flat calm but on the return journey the weather changed drastically and the stormy trip back was really quite terrifying. Safely back on land, I overheard my dad saying to Lawrie that he really thought at one stage our time was up. :paranoid:

overdrive
28-01-2019, 07:05 PM
I went to school with one of the former detectives on ITV’s Vera.

I stood next to Lewis Stevenson at a gig at the Picturehiuse once (can’t remember what gig it was).

I was sent along by my school in 6th year to a community centre opening where Alex McLeish was doing the official opening. This was when he was Hibs manager. Me and a girl in my year got our photo taken with him and it appeared in the EEN. It was my birthday a few weeks later and my parents had got a print of the photo from the EEN and got it framed as part of my birthday present. The Ginger Judas Prick signed for Rangers on my birthday! My lasting memory of sitting next to him was that he was reeking of booze at 2pm in the afternoon.

Mibbes Aye
28-01-2019, 08:57 PM
I used to work in a city centre hotel when I was in and out of university.

We had a function one night and Darren Jackson was there, whilst he was playing for us. He had a rather spiffing suit on as I recall.

I was behind the bar and he bought a massive round for a bunch of folk. I undercharged him hugely on the basis that he played for us. He looked a bit taken aback when I told him the cost but didn't say anything.

James310
28-01-2019, 10:18 PM
I found a really old picture of a Hibs team, late 19th century I think, behind a bookcase at my school. We sent it to Hibs and they published it in the programme.

Scouse Hibee
29-01-2019, 08:07 AM
As duty manager I waited to meet and greet Bob Hoskins who had booked under his own name and booked a basic room with no view. Our reservations manager had spotted this booking and upgraded him to a Castle View and left the usual VIP set up in his room of champagne, fruit, chocolates etc. When he arrived Bob Hoskins ( Yorkshire Businessman) was very appreciative of the fuss we made of him!

danhibees1875
29-01-2019, 08:20 AM
As duty manager I waited to meet and greet Bob Hoskins who had booked under his own name and booked a basic room with no view. Our reservations manager had spotted this booking and upgraded him to a Castle View and left the usual VIP set up in his room of champagne, fruit, chocolates etc. When he arrived Bob Hoskins ( Yorkshire Businessman) was very appreciative of the fuss we made of him!

:faf:

I like that. Might start booking hotels under celebrity names to see if I get any upgrades!

"Hi, one double room for the Obama's please"...

Peevemor
29-01-2019, 08:46 AM

I had a mate called Paul McCartney (sadly no longer with us) who had similar experiences. Among our crowd, some people called him 'Paul' and the others 'McCartney'. Our local was Leerie's on the corner of York Place and Dublin Street and one Sunday afternoon a non-local who was in with his mate to watch whatever match was on the tv overheard our conversation and asked if he was called Paul McCartney - it turned out that he was called John Lennon! It turned out to be an epic session with lines from Beatles songs being slipped into the conversation wherever possible.

Sylar
29-01-2019, 09:39 AM
I once nutmegged Jamie MacDonald with a Cruyff turn before scoring a pearler into the top corner when we were at school together (he was an outfield player at that early point, and one of the best footballers in West Lothian).

I beat Paul Di Resta at go-karting once when we were at a mutual friend's birthday party (we attended the same high school).

I went for a few beers after a work event in Mountain View (California) last year, and Mark Zuckerburg was part of a large group of people at the table next to us - I never spoke to him.

When I was a student at Dundee Uni, I was out for a night out in St Andrews. It was a Tuesday or Wednesday evening and it was pretty quiet, but it was the time Prince William was studying there. 5 large guys came into the bar with earpieces in, and shortly after follows HRH and 2 friends. There were only my group of 4 in the bar at this point and the ended up sitting at the table right beside us and got chatting to us - we ended up buying each other a round. Thoroughly nice guy.

Hibbyradge
29-01-2019, 01:47 PM
I'm friendly with the father of s previous coach to the Irish Olympic dressage team and I've spoken to her on the phone once.

:kbacker:

:smug:

overdrive
29-01-2019, 02:11 PM

I have a mate called Andy Murray - if we are eating out we always get him to book. He is actually moderately famous in the design world so has a decent web/social media presence and he has been inundated in the last couple of weeks with emails and DMs from doctors and people giving him tips on how they managed to solve problems with their hips. A 90 year old woman even invited him to go with her to her weekly Pilates class :faf:. He also got tracked down and paid £50 by a newspaper in the run up to tennis Andy Murray’s first Wimbledon final - just to get his photo taken and give a few words on what is was like to be “Andy Murray”.

Smartie
29-01-2019, 03:23 PM
I went to school with one of the former detectives on ITV’s Vera.

I stood next to Lewis Stevenson at a gig at the Picturehiuse once (can’t remember what gig it was).

I was sent along by my school in 6th year to a community centre opening where Alex McLeish was doing the official opening. This was when he was Hibs manager. Me and a girl in my year got our photo taken with him and it appeared in the EEN. It was my birthday a few weeks later and my parents had got a print of the photo from the EEN and got it framed as part of my birthday present. The Ginger Judas Prick signed for Rangers on my birthday! My lasting memory of sitting next to him was that he was reeking of booze at 2pm in the afternoon.

This particularly bleak tale makes Watership Down seem like uplifting, light-hearted fun.

Alfiembra
30-01-2019, 11:41 AM
I used to play Badminton with Mike Larnach who was better known as Davie Coopers strike partner when they both played at Clydebank, they famously put the Huns to the sword in the cup which earned Davie Cooper his move to Ibronx.
Mike had a good football career and a really nice guy to boot, played for Newcastle and Motherwell among others.

Mango Man
02-02-2019, 02:16 AM
My band supported Foo Fighters guitarist, Chris Shifletts side project band called Jackson United, and also supported American band Filter at the Liquid Rooms.

Also Keith Wright presented me with a medal for my under 10s football team.

Hibeesmad
02-02-2019, 05:03 AM
Once worked in a hotel and served loads of people within football. Delivered room service to Gordon Strachan and his wife, also had a long chat with Malky Mackay about football and Hibs.

HUTCHYHIBBY
02-02-2019, 04:45 PM
Some people have really misunderstood the thread title.

Hibeesmad
02-02-2019, 09:15 PM

Shame

Hiber-nation
02-02-2019, 09:41 PM

What exactly is a claim to lame anyway?

HUTCHYHIBBY
03-02-2019, 10:19 AM

Ask the OP in case I provide a wrong answer.

Scouse Hibee
03-02-2019, 10:53 AM

One time I was in the checkout line
Behind Steven Seagal
Once I'm pretty sure Mr. Jonah Hill
Was in the very next bathroom stall
My best friend's brother
Well, he was an extra in Wayne's World 2
My neighbour's baby sitter
Dated three of the guys in Motley Crue
I swear Jack Nicholson
Looked right at me at a Laker's game
I got a lame
Lame claim to fame
Check it out, I bought a second hand toaster
From a guy who says he knows Brad Pitt
I got me an email from the prince of Nigeria
Well, he sure sounded legit
My sister used to take piano lessons
From the second cousin of Ralph Nader
Last year I threw up in an elevator
Next to Christian Slater
Well guess what, my birthday and Kim Kardashian's
Are exactly the same
I got a lame
Lame claim to fame
I got a lame
Lame claim to fame
Once at a party, my dentist accidentally
Sneezed on Russell Crowe
I posted first in the comments
On a YouTube video
I tried to sit by Steve Buscemi
But he told me this seat's taken
I know a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy
Who know a guy who knows a guy who knows Kevin Bacon
I had a car that used to belong
To Cuba Gooding Jr.'s uncle
A friend of mine in high school
Had jury duty with Art Garfunkel
One time I was staying in the same hotel
As Zooey Deschanel
I used the same napkin dispenser
As Steve Carell at a Taco Bell
I don't mean to brag but
Paul Giamatti's plumber knows me by name
I got a lame
Lame claim to fame
I got a lame
Lame claim to fame
I got a lame
Lame claim to fame
I got a lame
Lame claim to fame
Ow, let's get lame boys

Greentinted
03-02-2019, 01:18 PM
Worked as a doorman up town in late 90s - early 2000s and had many minor celebs giving it the big-I-am and asking us to identify them (drinking in an empty head does that). Notably lame names included Gary Naysmith, Kevin James, and Craig Chalmers (who,in fairness, returned the following night sober apologising for being a dick) but the lamest in my experience was a swarthy, good looking guy who looked kind of familiar and demanded VIP treatment because he was Darius Danesh’s brother!

Hiber-nation
03-02-2019, 02:19 PM
Behind Steven Seagal
My best friend's brother
I swear Jack Nicholson
I got a lame
Lame claim to fame
Next to Christian Slater
Are exactly the same
I got a lame
Lame claim to fame
I got a lame
Lame claim to fame
Sneezed on Russell Crowe
On a YouTube video
As Zooey Deschanel
I don't mean to brag but
I got a lame
Lame claim to fame
I got a lame
Lame claim to fame
I got a lame
Lame claim to fame
I got a lame
Lame claim to fame
Ow, let's get lame boys

Cheers, unsurprisingly I hadn't heard of that!

Hibbyradge
04-02-2019, 09:49 AM
Behind Steven Seagal
My best friend's brother
I swear Jack Nicholson
I got a lame
Lame claim to fame
Next to Christian Slater
Are exactly the same
I got a lame
Lame claim to fame
I got a lame
Lame claim to fame
Sneezed on Russell Crowe
On a YouTube video
As Zooey Deschanel
I don't mean to brag but
I got a lame
Lame claim to fame
I got a lame
Lame claim to fame
I got a lame
Lame claim to fame
I got a lame
Lame claim to fame
Ow, let's get lame boys

Weird. :wink:

The Modfather
04-02-2019, 10:54 AM
I met Carola, Sweden’s Eurovision winner in 1991 in Oslo when I was there for the Scotland game under Burley. She was just a pretty blonde, who grow on trees out there, wasn’t until locals we got chatting to told me who she was. Even then, meh! Strangely enough then met Dermot O’Leary outside the same pub.

matty_f
04-02-2019, 12:26 PM
I met Carola, Sweden’s Eurovision winner in 1991 in Oslo when I was there for the Scotland game under Burley. She was just a pretty blonde, who grow on trees out there, wasn’t until locals we got chatting to told me who she was. Even then, meh! Strangely enough then met Dermot O’Leary outside the same pub.

I once quoted the post of guy who'd met Dermot O'Leary outside a pub.

Hibbyradge
04-02-2019, 12:38 PM

That's a good one, but I thought it was me that was bored! :greengrin

The Modfather
04-02-2019, 06:16 PM

If you want a signed photo of the guy who met Dermot O’Leary send me a PM 😀

Pedantic_Hibee
04-02-2019, 09:13 PM
I once stood no further than five yards away from Tony Drago.

Hibbyradge
04-02-2019, 11:01 PM
I'm only 5 steps from Kevin Bacon.

Saturday Boy
04-02-2019, 11:11 PM
I'm only 5 steps from Kevin Bacon.

But only 3 from streaky bacon.

I take it that you’re still bored 😄

I used to work beside a girl who’s big sister dated Zoltan Varga.

Even I think that’s pretty lame.