PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Bognor

stevebone
20-01-2019, 11:30 AM
Morning Hibbies, just a quick and slightly belated note to say that all in Bognor - though disappointed to lose Tommy Block - were delighted to see him unveiled by your club yesterday, and even get a place on the bench for the cup game. Amazing stuff.
This is what we did on him finally getting the deal done, including what I thought was a very good little interview with Hibs TV - admittedly this is nothing you won't have seen already at your end.
https://www.bognor.co.uk/sport/football/non-league/from-bognor-to-hibernian-block-s-journey-is-complete-1-8776280
Best of luck for the rest of the season and we'll all be watching Tommy's progress with great interest.

Northernhibee
20-01-2019, 11:31 AM
Cheers - all the best for Bognor in return :flag:

Souter96Mac
20-01-2019, 11:37 AM
Got a feeling this boy will be a cult hero.

007 Mickey Weir
20-01-2019, 11:38 AM
Thanks for this and good luck to Bognor!! 🇳🇬🇳🇬

WillowbraeHibby
20-01-2019, 11:39 AM
Likewise, all the best to you guys. :flag:

tamig
20-01-2019, 11:47 AM
Thanks Steve. It’s been great getting all of your updates over the past few months. Hope you continue to check in here.

Speedway
20-01-2019, 11:56 AM
Steve,

Your lad Tommy seems to have a fantastic attitude so all credit to Bognor for developing players like that.

Very best to you and the club for the rest of the season!

Peevemor
20-01-2019, 11:59 AM
Morning Hibbies, just a quick and slightly belated note to say that all in Bognor - though disappointed to lose Tommy Block - were delighted to see him unveiled by your club yesterday, and even get a place on the bench for the cup game. Amazing stuff.
This is what we did on him finally getting the deal done, including what I thought was a very good little interview with Hibs TV - admittedly this is nothing you won't have seen already at your end.
https://www.bognor.co.uk/sport/football/non-league/from-bognor-to-hibernian-block-s-journey-is-complete-1-8776280
Best of luck for the rest of the season and we'll all be watching Tommy's progress with great interest.

Thanks for all your input to date

He comes across as a great lad and, given all the goodwill messages, he seems to be appreciated by everyone down there.

I'm really hoping he realises his ambitions

DaveF
20-01-2019, 12:19 PM
I think we should remember he is here for the development squad and needs to impress there before he will be a feature around the 1st team. His place on the bench yesterday was more to do with our lack of numbers than anything else.

I certainly hope he makes it but I doubt we will be seeing him in the 1st team soon.

SMAXXA
20-01-2019, 12:26 PM
I think we should remember he is here for the development squad and needs to impress there before he will be a feature around the 1st team. His place on the bench yesterday was more to do with our lack of numbers than anything else.

I certainly hope he makes it but I doubt we will be seeing him in the 1st team soon.

Christ the voice of doom let the lad enjoy his selection for the squad regardless of how it came about

Spike Mandela
20-01-2019, 12:34 PM

Don’t think this was the case at all. Plenty of players could have been selected ahead of Tommy. I think this was a clever selection giving the lad a taste of how it feels to be around the first team and what he has to aspire to.

Good luck to the lad, will watch his progress with interest.

MartinfaePorty
20-01-2019, 12:39 PM
Don’t think this was the case at all. Plenty of players could have been selected ahead of Tommy. I think this was a clever selection giving the lad a taste of how it feels to be around the first team and what he has to aspire to.

Good luck to the lad, will watch his progress with interest.Exactly how I saw it. Ideal game to have him on the bench, but he was never going to get on. Basically, a taste of what could be if he applies himself!

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Famous Fiver
20-01-2019, 12:44 PM
Good luck to the lad.

Pretty disappointing that there is an opinion on here that he is nowhere near the first team. Does my head in.

That is questioning Hibs ambition, Lennon's competence, the lad's ability, our whole recruitment process.

Duncan Edwards was playing first team football at 18.

What do some folk on here want?

Rant over

DaveF
20-01-2019, 01:02 PM
Christ the voice of doom let the lad enjoy his selection for the squad regardless of how it came about

Calm down ffs, it's hardly the voice of doom. His unveiling stated he was for tbe development squad and that is where he will be to start with. I'll be absolutely delighted if he is first team material as soon as possible and I was hoping he would get 10mins yesterday to cap off a great week for him but it wasn't to be.

Thankfully, after seeing his interview, he realises the challenge ahead unlike some on here who seem to expect him to be replacing Bartley or whoever right now.

SirDavidsNapper
20-01-2019, 01:04 PM
All the best to Bognor too. Seem a great wee club.

DaveF
20-01-2019, 01:06 PM

Good luck to the lad, will watch his progress with interest.

I actually agree but the circumstances with injuries certainly helped that decision. I can only really think of Gullan who has been around the 1st team of late who wasn't selected yesterday. There are probably others that I've forgotten though.

Greencore
20-01-2019, 01:30 PM
Do do do do do do do

Lemonade
20-01-2019, 01:59 PM
Everyone loves a story like this.
Really hoped he would have got on yesterday just to top off the week for the boy .
His interviews and enthusiasm are excellent.

Really hope he makes it.

Paisley Hibby
20-01-2019, 04:51 PM
Calm down ffs, it's hardly the voice of doom. His unveiling stated he was for tbe development squad and that is where he will be to start with. I'll be absolutely delighted if he is first team material as soon as possible and I was hoping he would get 10mins yesterday to cap off a great week for him but it wasn't to be.

Thankfully, after seeing his interview, he realises the challenge ahead unlike some on here who seem to expect him to be replacing Bartley or whoever right now.

Aye, that's all true and very sensible DaveF. But I think none of that serious sensible stuff needed to be said right now. This a great wee story, a dream chance for a young guy and I wish you'd just left it at that for now.

SMAXXA
20-01-2019, 06:23 PM
Aye, that's all true and very sensible DaveF. But I think none of that serious sensible stuff needed to be said right now. This a great wee story, a dream chance for a young guy and I wish you'd just left it at that for now.

Exactly where I was coming from, avoidable

DaveF
20-01-2019, 06:30 PM

The faux outrage to my post by a few here is why the Internet is just so bonkers. If I've killed Tommys dream due to him reading my comment I'm truly sorry.

Thankfully I suspect he has a bit more about him than the take offence to everything type.

DetroitHibs
20-01-2019, 08:03 PM
The faux outrage to my post by a few here is why the Internet is just so bonkers. If I've killed Tommys dream due to him reading my comment I'm truly sorry.

Thankfully I suspect he has a bit more about him than the take offence to everything type.

Your response was 100% accurate. Unfortunately we live in a society where people just have to take offense to every comment that's not a positive one. I'll let the lads talking on the pitch determine wether he's a good player or not. Just have to look no further than Jamie Insall to see how these developments signings can turn out.

Forza Fred
20-01-2019, 08:12 PM

Yep, a reasonable comment, translated by some that Santa Claus has just shot Bambi!

One learns to just ignore those who seem to look for reasons to be angry.

Similar thing happened to me when I had the temerity to suggest that Jamie MacLaren was not ‘great’, but just ok

Some have to appreciate, that there IS room for opinions that don’t necessarily agree with one’s own!

Forza Fred
20-01-2019, 08:16 PM
And for what it’s worth I subscribe to the train of thought that he was on the bench to get a taste of what it’s like to be included in the first team squad.

staunchhibby
20-01-2019, 08:31 PM
I thought it was clever of Lennon to include Tommy on the bench.Gives him something to strive for and hopefully he takes the opportunity.

Colr
20-01-2019, 08:34 PM
“Bugger Bognor!”

Iggy Pope
20-01-2019, 08:52 PM

Steve.
Nice stuff and disregard the bickering. We really cannot help it. Guaranteed a gate if we get a friendly down there!

JimboHibs
20-01-2019, 09:08 PM
Exactly where I was coming from, avoidable

Tell you whats avoidable.The outpouring of love towards Bognor on here by some posters 😂😂😂 get a grip,if the laddie is keek will you still declare the love for Bognor 🤣

Forza Fred
20-01-2019, 09:29 PM
Tell you whats avoidable.The outpouring of love towards Bognor on here by some posters 😂😂😂 get a grip,if the laddie is keek will you still declare the love for Bognor 🤣

Never been to Bognor in my life, but have a distant memory of it being used in comic sketches in Monty Python or other comedy shows of that era

LustForLeith
20-01-2019, 09:39 PM
Ive not really been following his story apart from trying to establish the most important factor of if he’s got a song yet. And it could one of two ways. But fair play to him. I know you can’t really compare but with Chelsea about to spend £270,000 a week on a loan player, football seems to be keeping a wee bit out of hand and unrealistic. It’s great to see there’s still stories of youngsters being plucked from obscurity.

Not only that but he seems quite genuine and comes across well.

MagicSwirlingShip
20-01-2019, 11:07 PM

He will probably steal a march on his development team team mates as he has experience playing competitive football against grown men.

Hibeesmad
20-01-2019, 11:13 PM
What type of player is he? For anyone who has seen him play

CraigHibee
21-01-2019, 12:17 AM
Wish him all the best, certainly sounds like he has the right attitude

Forza Fred
21-01-2019, 02:46 AM
Just watched his interview and its good to see someone so delighted and enthusiastic to get his chance.

He reminds me a bit about another 'unknown' from many years ago who left Australia as a teenager and flew over to the UK determined to follow his dream.

Tommy may not have travelled as far as Craig Johnston to get where he is just now, but let's hope his journey from this point is every bit, and even hopefully more, successful.

Booked4Being-Ugly
21-01-2019, 05:14 AM
What type of player is he? For anyone who has seen him play

From what i’ve saw he looks like a CDM.

Seems a solid, no-nonsense player that does the simple things really well, moving the ball from defence to midfield with a good range of passing.

Hope i’ve got that right.

FilipinoHibs
21-01-2019, 06:00 AM
Everyone loves a story like this.
Really hoped he would have got on yesterday just to top off the week for the boy .
His interviews and enthusiasm are excellent.

Really hope he makes it.

Aim high. Aim for the top. Believe in yourself Tommy.

stevebone
21-01-2019, 11:25 AM
In reply to Iggy Pope, show me a fans messageboard that does not involve bickiering! Plenty of that at Bognor, much of it caused by my headlines in the local paper!
And in reply to someone else whose name I've forgotten - yes CDM to use today's language! Has been used as centre half at Bognor too but primarily midfield.

worcesterhibby
21-01-2019, 11:29 AM
Thanks Steve, always good to see papers actually interacting with forums, rather than just nicking content off them ! Hopefully Tommy will be a big success at Hibs and you can continue to update your readers as he picks up cup winners medals and European appearances in the coming years. Best of luck to the remaining Bognor boys this season.

Sergey
21-01-2019, 11:37 AM
In reply to Iggy Pope, show me a fans messageboard that does not involve bickiering! Plenty of that at Bognor, much of it caused by my headlines in the local paper!
And in reply to someone else whose name I've forgotten - yes CDM to use today's language! Has been used as centre half at Bognor too but primarily midfield.

Howdy, Steve. I know Nywood Lane very well as I'm involved with Lowestoft Town and we've had many a happy visit down to the South Coast...most memorably when we beat you in the Play-Off Semi a few years ago.

It will be interesting to see how this young lad progresses - Alfie Rutherford was a player I liked the look of, but his career seems to have stalled, but I understand he's on over a grand a week at Havant. Ollie Pearce always seemed to be a thorn in our side, even while at Worthing. Another player who didn't fulfil his potential.

Anyway, we've been shunted into the Southern Premier Central Division and our away-days take us to the likes of Biggleswade and Coalville - than the Lord for Sat-Nav's.

blackpoolhibs
21-01-2019, 12:29 PM
Howdy, Steve. I know Nywood Lane very well as I'm involved with Lowestoft Town and we've had many a happy visit down to the South Coast...most memorably when we beat you in the Play-Off Semi a few years ago.

It will be interesting to see how this young lad progresses - Alfie Rutherford was a player I liked the look of, but his career seems to have stalled, but I understand he's on over a grand a week at Havant. Ollie Pearce always seemed to be a thorn in our side, even while at Worthing. Another player who didn't fulfil his potential.

Anyway, we've been shunted into the Southern Premier Central Division and our away-days take us to the likes of Biggleswade and Coalville - than the Lord for Sat-Nav's.

FFS Graheme, up the A1 and turn right at the first roundabout that says Biggleswade, i'm sure the ground is halfway down on the right. Lovely little place thats probably a bit too up market for you cockneys. :wink:

Stokesy's on fire
21-01-2019, 12:58 PM

You can be the founder of the Bognor Hibs Supporters club. :aok: Nice to see a wee message on here from you. Maybe a friendly can be arranged :flag:

jacomo
21-01-2019, 01:43 PM
Never been to Bognor in my life, but have a distant memory of it being used in comic sketches in Monty Python or other comedy shows of that era

I have.

Nice place, terrible name.