PDA

View Full Version : Penalty taking

Carheenlea
19-01-2019, 07:59 PM
After missing another penalty, does anyone think that Flo should maybe have had another shot for the second penalty and hopefully tuck it away for a confidence boost given the scoreline Was comfortable? I thought at the time he might try again, but the way Mallan clinically drilled it home it looks like he will be the one to take them for now.

franck sauzee
19-01-2019, 08:01 PM
After missing another penalty, does anyone think that Flo should maybe have had another shot for the second penalty and hopefully tuck it away for a confidence boost given the scoreline Was comfortable? I thought at the time he might try again, but the way Mallan clinically drilled it home it looks like he will be the one to take them for now.

His last 2 penalties have been absolutely woeful. Mallan's was right in the corner. I'd give them to Mallan

MWHIBBIES
19-01-2019, 08:04 PM
Mallan is on them now. Flos today was very poor.

SMAXXA
19-01-2019, 08:05 PM
His last 2 penalties have been absolutely woeful. Mallan's was right in the corner. I'd give them to Mallan

Today’s wasn’t woeful as you put it imo

GreenProfessor
19-01-2019, 08:17 PM

I said the same to my Dad at the game. We were pretty comfortable and I thought it might have made sense to give him the second PK to give his confidence a boost. To be be fair to Mallan mind, his effort was excellent.

Nice to see Flo congratulate Mallan after he scored, looked like they had a laugh about it 👍🏻

calumhibee1
19-01-2019, 08:19 PM
Today’s wasn’t woeful as you put it imo

Without having seen it back I didn’t think it was that bad either. Malians to lose now though IMO. If Cummings comes back then I’d give them to him.

Tynie01011973
19-01-2019, 08:27 PM
Without having seen it back I didn’t think it was that bad either. Malians to lose now though IMO. If Cummings comes back then I’d give them to him.

Said at match today, Flo's penalty miss was exact same as Mallans miss in Aberdeen penalty shootout.

Wish he would get back to thumping them in instead of trying to place them 👍

Lancs Harp
19-01-2019, 08:33 PM
Usually at any Club there's a queue of players wanting to take penalties, whether you're an SPL team or playing on the local rec.

Sorry Flo, missed a couple, time the baton was passed.

J-C
19-01-2019, 08:43 PM
Mallan is a dead ball expert, it's one of the things he's very good at, he should take them from now on.

One Day
19-01-2019, 10:17 PM
Mallan is a dead ball expert, it's one of the things he's very good at, he should take them from now on.

That's how I feel too. Flo missed 2 in a row Mallans job now until he misses

Eyrie
19-01-2019, 10:52 PM
Noticed Hanlon coming forward at the second penalty. He's done well from the spot in shoot outs for us.

That said, Mallan's was nicely struck so he's the man until he misses.

overdrive
19-01-2019, 10:58 PM
Noticed Hanlon coming forward at the second penalty. He's done well from the spot in shoot outs for us.

That said, Mallan's was nicely struck so he's the man until he misses.

I think he was telling Kamberi/Mallan that Mallan was to take it. Captain’s decision. But I’d agree, Hanlon would be a good penalty taker.

SonOfDavidFrancey
20-01-2019, 07:49 AM
I’m mystified about Flo’s penalties - when he started taking them they looked unstoppable top corner jobs. Why did he stop doing that?

1van Sprou7e
20-01-2019, 07:56 AM
I’m mystified about Flo’s penalties - when he started taking them they looked unstoppable top corner jobs. Why did he stop doing that?

This, his first 2 were dynamite and he also scored a good one against Killie this season

IGRIGI
20-01-2019, 07:57 AM
I've always liked the idea of giving penalty duty to a CB like Hanlon, they are always going to just put the laces through it and rocket it in.

NORTHERNHIBBY
20-01-2019, 08:01 AM
Strikers are not always the best option for penalties as how many times in 90 minutes are they required to hit the ball when it isn't moving.

Onceinawhile
20-01-2019, 08:13 AM
I've always liked the idea of giving penalty duty to a CB like Hanlon, they are always going to just put the laces through it and rocket it in.

I'm sure Steven pressley had a very good penalty record for hearts.

jockspanner
20-01-2019, 08:55 AM
Strikers are not always the best option for penalties as how many times in 90 minutes are they required to hit the ball when it isn't moving. I think Stevie Mallan is the guy to take the penalties, but I am sure he was the one that missed the 1st penalty against the dons, .

Keith_M
20-01-2019, 09:01 AM
After missing another penalty, does anyone think that Flo should maybe have had another shot for the second penalty and hopefully tuck it away for a confidence boost .....

Not me, no.

I was screaming at him to get the F... away from the penalty box

:greengrin

BILLYHIBS
20-01-2019, 09:05 AM
Not me, no.

I was screaming at him to get the F... away from the penalty box

Me too think he now missed three in a row give someone else a chance

Peevemor
20-01-2019, 09:06 AM
I've always liked the idea of giving penalty duty to a CB like Hanlon, they are always going to just put the laces through it and rocket it in.Tommy McIntyre often placed his penalties.

Scouse Hibee
20-01-2019, 09:10 AM
Strikers are not always the best option for penalties as how many times in 90 minutes are they required to hit the ball when it isn't moving.

True, many a defender particularly full backs have been stalwart penalty takers of yesteryear.

MagicSwirlingShip
20-01-2019, 09:19 AM
Can we not give big Marv one. Man needs a goal

NORTHERNHIBBY
20-01-2019, 09:29 AM
True, many a defender particularly full backs have been stalwart penalty takers of yesteryear.

And the odd goalie now and again.

Bostonhibby
20-01-2019, 09:43 AM
Flo had a decent game I thought but the penalty was another hopeless effort. I'm happy for mallan to have the job for now.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

rotherhamrob
20-01-2019, 09:58 AM
And the odd goalie now and again.

Aye, hamish mcalpine springs to mind, did he take all the penalties or am I imagining it?
I'm showing my age now😎

SquashedFrogg
20-01-2019, 10:02 AM
Tommy McIntyre often placed his penalties.

Cool penalty taker.

where'stheslope
20-01-2019, 10:06 AM
Aye, hamish mcalpine springs to mind, did he take all the penalties or am I imagining it?
I'm showing my age now😎
Yep, he took many a penalty for Dundee United and scored, the problem is if he misses then no one in goal at the other end!!!

MSK
20-01-2019, 10:12 AM
Yep, he took many a penalty for Dundee United and scored, the problem is if he misses then no one in goal at the other end!!!Funny thing is, according to wiki he played 477 times for utd but only scored 3 of them, I thought it was a lot more, probably missed many others, his first scored was against hibs though, ******* 😆

rotherhamrob
20-01-2019, 10:27 AM
Funny thing is, according to wiki he played 477 times for utd but only scored 3 of them, I thought it was a lot more, probably missed many others, his first scored was against hibs though, ******* 😆

Must be a memory thing, I always thought he took them all lol.

bigwheel
20-01-2019, 10:28 AM
Must be a memory thing, I always thought he took them all lol.

Think it was just a season or two where he was their chosen penalty taker ....

Pete
20-01-2019, 11:07 AM
If Cummings comes back then I’d give them to him.

Maybe I’m being unfair as I can’t remember his overall penalty record but the thought gives me the shivers. Even the winning one in the shoot out was ropey as 😳

Great striker though.

Seekyit
20-01-2019, 11:36 AM
Yep, he took many a penalty for Dundee United and scored, the problem is if he misses then no one in goal at the other end!!!

I'm sure that happened at Celtic Park in 197?. The things you remember.

cabbageandribs1875
20-01-2019, 12:00 PM
I'm sure that happened at Celtic Park in 197?. The things you remember.

BC or AD that's one helluva memory :greengrin

Jones28
20-01-2019, 12:27 PM

If he ever scores for us it will be a special

A Hi-Bee
20-01-2019, 12:35 PM
Joe Davis Hibs left back from the 60's was pretty good at them.

HiBremian
20-01-2019, 12:41 PM

Said it on the match thread yesterday. Pens are about confidence, and Marv has it in bucketloads. And he'd put his laces, boot, leg and body through the ball. :greengrin

Seekyit
20-01-2019, 12:52 PM
BC or AD that's one helluva memory

:greengrin I've checked. March 1977.

erin go bragh
20-01-2019, 02:50 PM
Cool penalty taker.

He sure was . 33-1 to score first in the 91 league cup final 👌
Someone posted that Milligan has never missed a pen 🤔

Weegreenman
20-01-2019, 03:03 PM
The test of a true penalty taker is how they react or cope with the pressure of the next one after a miss. Even the very best penalty kings miss now and again but then they usually show balls of steel when the next opportunity arises. That’s what I was hoping Kamberi would show but sadly that didn’t happen. Luckily for us we have one of the best strikers of a dead ball I think I’ve ever seeen in a Hibs jersey to step in and take up the mantle! :aok:

The Sundance Kid
20-01-2019, 04:34 PM
The current squad's record at scoring penalties for Hibs:
David Gray - 1 taken, 0 scored (0% scored)
Steven Whittaker - 2 taken, 1 scored (50% scored)
Paul Hanlon - 3 taken, 3 scored (100% scored)
Vykintas Slivka - 1 taken, 1 scored (100% scored)
Jamie Maclaren - 2 taken, 1 scored (50% scored)
Martin Boyle - 5 taken, 4 scored (80% scored)
Stevie Mallan - 2 taken, 1 scored (50% scored)
Lewis Stevenson - 1 taken, 1 scored (100% scored)
Thomas Agyepong - 1 taken, 0 scored (0% scored)
Florian Kamberi - 6 taken, 4 scored (67% scored)
Oli Shaw - 2 taken, 1 scored (50% scored)
Fraser Murray - 1 taken, 1 scored (100% scored)

southern hibby
20-01-2019, 07:01 PM
Said it a few times now that I would love to see penalties at the end of every friendly. We can arrange with the team we’re playing to
Put penalties on at the end of the game irrespective of the score this would give players the chance to practice them in front of fans rather than just in training. It would also allow the goalkeepers a chance to maybe make a save if we were playing a team that didn’t have many shots on target ( East fife in a preseason friendly pops to mind )

GGTTH

Iggy Pope
20-01-2019, 07:12 PM
The current squad's record at scoring penalties for Hibs:
David Gray - 1 taken, 0 scored (0% scored)
Steven Whittaker - 2 taken, 1 scored (50% scored)
Paul Hanlon - 3 taken, 3 scored (100% scored)
Vykintas Slivka - 1 taken, 1 scored (100% scored)
Jamie Maclaren - 2 taken, 1 scored (50% scored)
Martin Boyle - 5 taken, 4 scored (80% scored)
Stevie Mallan - 2 taken, 1 scored (50% scored)
Lewis Stevenson - 1 taken, 1 scored (100% scored)
Thomas Agyepong - 1 taken, 0 scored (0% scored)
Florian Kamberi - 6 taken, 4 scored (67% scored)
Oli Shaw - 2 taken, 1 scored (50% scored)
Fraser Murray - 1 taken, 1 scored (100% scored)

Martin Boyle at 4 out of 5 is surprising. He really doesn’t look comfy with a penalty.

Hibeesmad
20-01-2019, 07:16 PM
Didn’t Whittaker take penalties for Rangers?

Hibernian32
21-01-2019, 12:03 AM
I thought the first one they should have gave it to Gauld would have been a nice gesture, I thought the same with the second.

Scouse Hibee
21-01-2019, 07:00 AM
Didn’t Whittaker take penalties for Rangers?

Yes he did.

calumhibee1
21-01-2019, 07:32 AM
Maybe I’m being unfair as I can’t remember his overall penalty record but the thought gives me the shivers. Even the winning one in the shoot out was ropey as 😳

Great striker though.
I actually forgot about that his chipped pen :greengrin

I’m sure his record was pretty good overall though :agree:

BILLYHIBS
21-01-2019, 07:47 AM
Mark Milligan has a very good penalty record especially in high profile games his problem might be getting back into the side on his return from the Asia Cup

Source: YouTube

Edit: Too many to post on here so must be decent under pressure

BILLYHIBS
23-01-2019, 07:29 AM
Mark Milligan has a very good penalty record especially in high profile games his problem might be getting back into the side on his return from the Asia Cup

Source: YouTube

Edit: Too many to post on here so must be decent under pressure

Another high pressure penalty from Mark Milligan in the Asia Cup the other day

The job is now Stevie Mallins by the look of it but Milligan a decent option if things go Pete Tong and he gets back in the starting eleven