PDA

View Full Version : Stephane Omeonga

GGTTH07
18-01-2019, 09:37 AM
http://bit.ly/2QVDoPO

Good pedigree and looks like he’d be a good signing.

RoxburghHibs
18-01-2019, 09:43 AM
http://bit.ly/2QVDoPO

Good pedigree and looks like he’d be a good signing.

The link doesn't work I'm afraid.

RoxburghHibs
18-01-2019, 09:44 AM
try this...

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-line-up-loan-deal-for-genoa-midfielder-stephane-omeonga-1-4858547

Diclonius
18-01-2019, 09:48 AM
I presume this guy is a DM given we now have approximately 23857321896710568123095810396820968213096820935820 368 AMs.

J-C
18-01-2019, 09:49 AM
I presume this guy is a DM given we now have approximately 23857321896710568123095810396820968213096820935820 368 AMs.

Looks more like box2box

Diclonius
18-01-2019, 09:50 AM
Looks more like box2box

Eh, that's fine too.

Captain Trips
18-01-2019, 09:51 AM
In all honesty with Gauld in and hopefully Allan sooner rather than later I wouldnt look to sign a DM. Iwould go with Marvin IMO he is more than capable.

BlackSheep
18-01-2019, 09:52 AM
On paper looks good... never scored a professional goal tho....

BlackSheep
18-01-2019, 09:53 AM
In all honesty with Gauld in and hopefully Allan sooner rather than later I wouldnt look to sign a DM. Iwould go with Marvin IMO he is more than capable.

I understand what you are saying, but if we can get a player who does the job of Bartley but can also contribute to attacks then let’s do it.

Not saying Omeonega is that player but in general an enforcer who can pick a pass and maybe score a goal or two would be a great addition.

Diclonius
18-01-2019, 09:54 AM
On paper looks good... never scored a professional goal tho....

McGeouch scored about 2 for us. I don't think that's what this guy will be coming in for.

J-C
18-01-2019, 09:56 AM
Eh, that's fine too.

Just seen the wee clip of him, yes more Dylan like but has the burst of speed and strength McGinn has, maybe a wee mixture of both, more all round midfielder.

The 90+2
18-01-2019, 09:58 AM
The more the merrier fire him in the van and let’s see what he can o 👍

SirDavidsNapper
18-01-2019, 10:09 AM
I'm all for new faces coming in but Mavrias and Nelom also had good pedigrees. Always wary of players i've never heard of.

we are hibs
18-01-2019, 10:17 AM
I'm all for new faces coming in but Mavrias and Nelom also had good pedigrees. Always wary of players i've never heard of.

They were coming in as back up though. Don't think this guy is. Seen a bit of his YouTube videos and he seems to get stuck in. That's what we need right now.

18-01-2019, 10:18 AM
On Genoa official website: https://genoacfc.it/omeonga-ai-saluti-lascia-pegli/

Basically says he’s left Genoa to go to Scotland and he’ll be playing there providing there are no issues closing the deal.

Callum_62
18-01-2019, 10:18 AM

he has played 3 times in Seria A this season with 5 Belgian U21 caps

Surely hes an upgrade on Whittaker CM

Winston Ingram
18-01-2019, 10:20 AM
On Genoa official website: https://genoacfc.it/omeonga-ai-saluti-lascia-pegli/

Basically says he’s left Genoa to go to Scotland and he’ll be playing there providing there are no issues closing the deal.

Google translate

After that of Nicolas Spolli, with the transfer of the Argentine defender to Crotone, we go towards the departure of another element of the rose. In fact, midfielder Stephane Omeonga, a Belgian Under-21 international, greeted managers, technicians and classmates this morning before the session at the Signorini Center, emptying the locker room of personal belongings. A new professional adventure in Scotland is ready for him, if there will be no hitches in closing the operation. And 'the second element that leaves the staff, numerically quite high in the first round

The 90+2
18-01-2019, 10:24 AM
Welcome our Belgian friend. I’ll avoid all jokes of our other loan player contributing the square root of Brussel sprout 👍

Winston Ingram
18-01-2019, 10:25 AM
They paid 500k for him 18 months ago and a regular member of the 1st team squad

https://www.transfermarkt.com/stephane-omeonga/leistungsdaten/spieler/342472

JimBHibees
18-01-2019, 10:26 AM
he has played 3 times in Seria A this season with 5 Belgian U21 caps

Surely hes an upgrade on Whittaker CM

The fact he has been around their first team squad and started some games is a positive given the level that is.

brog
18-01-2019, 10:45 AM

Had you heard of Latapy, Beuzelin, Malonga, Laursen etc etc etc?

SirDavidsNapper
18-01-2019, 10:46 AM
They were coming in as back up though. Don't think this guy is. Seen a bit of his YouTube videos and he seems to get stuck in. That's what we need right now.

That's true

SirDavidsNapper
18-01-2019, 10:57 AM
Had you heard of Latapy, Beuzelin, Malonga, Laursen etc etc etc?

I hadn't but they were all on long term deals. Lennons short term loan track record isn't great bar Kamberi. Very much hope i'm wrong to be concerned.

Joe6-2
18-01-2019, 11:01 AM
Welcome our Belgian friend. I’ll avoid all jokes of our other loan player contributing the square root of Brussel sprout 👍

😂😂

04Sauzee
18-01-2019, 11:03 AM
I hadn't but they were all on long term deals. Lennons short term loan track record isn't great bar Kamberi. Very much hope i'm wrong to be concerned.

Barker didn't look to bad, Bogdan is looking Ok, Allan last season didn't look to Shabby, Ambrose was originally short term and he was OK

B.H.F.C
18-01-2019, 11:05 AM
Barker didn't look to bad, Bogdan is looking Ok, Allan last season didn't look to Shabby, Ambrose was originally short term and he was OK

Add in Commons an MacLaren when he was on his original loan.

The_Horde
18-01-2019, 11:06 AM

Commons was pretty decent..

GreenNWhiteArmy
18-01-2019, 11:15 AM
Commons was pretty decent..

Andrew Shinnie "done a job"

J-C
18-01-2019, 11:24 AM

I can guarantee there are hundreds of players all over the European leagues that you've never heard of before but are decent players, unless you sit and watch all the top European leagues every week for hours on end. It's a market I've been wanting Hibs to look at for a while, the only downside is sometimes many foreign players don't always settle well, so it can be a problem, thankfully Edinburgh is a lovely cosmopolitan city to live in.

Joe6-2
18-01-2019, 11:31 AM
Are we definitely the Scottish club he's coming too?

J-C
18-01-2019, 11:32 AM
Are we definitely the Scottish club he's coming too?

Another report from Italy has mentioned us by name, so it would look like it.

Joe6-2
18-01-2019, 11:33 AM
Another report from Italy has mentioned us by name, so it would look like it.

Cheers J-C

superfurryhibby
18-01-2019, 11:37 AM

Utter nonsense and you know it:confused:

ScottB
18-01-2019, 11:37 AM
So, have we now got like for like replacements for last year's midfield?

McGinn- Gauld
McGeough - Omeonga
Allan - uh, Allan

Remains to be seen how effective they'll be of course, but at least it seems like the right sort of players for these positions?

04Sauzee
18-01-2019, 11:40 AM

McGinn- Gauld
McGeough - Omeonga
Allan - uh, Allan

Remains to be seen how effective they'll be of course, but at least it seems like the right sort of players for these positions?

Possibly not as if we don't get Allan in during this window then Gauld and Omeonga are more than likely to be away by the time Allan comes in

euro Hibby
18-01-2019, 11:51 AM
reading here that they are saying he has gone to Hibs for 6 months. Tough tackler , good legs , needs expereince.

CMurdoch
18-01-2019, 12:09 PM
Another player into the midfield. Happy with that.
Trust the recruitment team to have brought a decent player in with the characteristics we are currently missing.
The market is taking off now for Scottish teams. See Tony Andrieu has returned on loan to Hamilton.

Speedway
18-01-2019, 12:19 PM
Another player into the midfield. Happy with that.
Trust the recruitment team to have brought a decent player in with the characteristics we are currently missing.
The market is taking off now for Scottish teams. See Tony Andrieu has returned on loan to Hamilton.

There was chat on here about us wanting him last time he was at them.

Greenbeard
18-01-2019, 12:23 PM

McGinn- Gauld
McGeough - Omeonga
Allan - uh, Allan

Is Gauld really a like-for-like replacement for McGinn? I don't know. Guid if he is, even if 70% the player McGinn was.
Not there Sat but first question will be wizGauldguid?

SirDavidsNapper
18-01-2019, 12:26 PM
Utter nonsense and you know it:confused:

Is it?

JimBHibees
18-01-2019, 12:34 PM
Is Gauld really a like-for-like replacement for McGinn? I don't know. Guid if he is, even if 70% the player McGinn was.
Not there Sat but first question will be wizGauldguid?

Gauld is nothing like McGinn IMO.

yerauldda
18-01-2019, 12:39 PM
Gauld is nothing like McGinn IMO.

Far more like Mcgeouch now - I think we will see a deeper midfielder than the one that left Scotland.

McgInn - Omeonga
McGeouch - Gauld
Allan - Allan (if he comes in)

1van Sprou7e
18-01-2019, 12:55 PM
Far more like Mcgeouch now - I think we will see a deeper midfielder than the one that left Scotland.

McgInn - Omeonga
McGeouch - Gauld

He may or may not be deeper but there is no way in hell that he'll be playing mcgeouchs role surely

JimBHibees
18-01-2019, 12:57 PM

McgInn - Omeonga
McGeouch - Gauld

Hope not as his main strength is his creativity.

yerauldda
18-01-2019, 01:04 PM
Hope not as his main strength is his creativity.

He won't be like for like with McGeouch but I don't think he or Lennon see him as the out and out 10 he was at Dundee United. You can still be creative from deep.

The 90+2
18-01-2019, 01:05 PM
He may or may not be deeper but there is no way in hell that he'll be playing mcgeouchs role surely

If it gets Mallan out that role then I'll be all for it.

JimBHibees
18-01-2019, 01:06 PM
If it gets Mallan out that role then I'll be all for it.

Yet bizarrely his best game was probably in that position v the champions

The 90+2
18-01-2019, 01:13 PM
Yet bizarrely his best game was probably in that position v the champions

Yep. Although I thought he was very good along side Super John early doors.

18-01-2019, 01:17 PM
Just posting to point out Stephane Omeonga fits perfectly into the Malonga song

Smartie
18-01-2019, 01:21 PM
reading here that they are saying he has gone to Hibs for 6 months. Tough tackler , good legs , needs expereince.

TBH that's almost the perfect fit for what we're needing and what we can provide.

Smartie
18-01-2019, 01:22 PM

Have we signed Tommy Block?

If so, after Ryan Gauld and Tommy Block, he's the first January signing whose name doesn't fit into "that song".

Unless we immediately nickname him Baby Shark of course?

calumhibee1
18-01-2019, 01:27 PM

:thumbsup:

Great song

calumhibee1
18-01-2019, 01:28 PM
TBH that's almost the perfect fit for what we're needing and what we can provide.

Yup. If he’s any good and that description is correct then he could be exactly what we need in there.

SRHibs
18-01-2019, 01:31 PM
Omeonga
Omeonga
Ome-ome-onga
Ome-ome-onga

percy veer
18-01-2019, 01:56 PM

McLaren, efe, even commons made an impact just off the top of my head

Diclonius
18-01-2019, 01:59 PM
McLaren, efe, even commons made an impact just off the top of my head

Marciano, Barker, Allan..

JimBHibees
18-01-2019, 02:16 PM
Marciano, Barker, Allan..

Bogdan

jacomo
18-01-2019, 02:57 PM
Bogdan

Ok, but apart from the 8 players named above, have any of Lennys loan signings made an impact?

:wink:

Mcpakeisgod
18-01-2019, 02:59 PM
Comparing the two coming in directly to mcginn & mcgeouch is setting these guys up to fail, let's just see what their own style is, hopefully it's enough to improve our midfield and brings their own unique quality and style to the side. Good luck boys

Inconsequential
18-01-2019, 03:00 PM
Ok, but apart from the 8 players named above, have any of Lennys loan signings made an impact?

:wink:
The 8 exceptions prove the rule. :agree:

WoreTheGreen
18-01-2019, 03:03 PM
Comparing the two coming in directly to mcginn & mcgeouch is setting these guys up to fail, let's just see what their own style is, hopefully it's enough to improve our midfield and brings their own unique quality and style to the side. Good luck boys

👍🏻

judas
18-01-2019, 06:05 PM
Don’t fancy the guy at all. Not sure what the point is in this case.

Unseen work
18-01-2019, 06:13 PM
Don’t think he’s like McGinn or McGeouch and don’t want to compare him to either.

Seems to like getting on the ball deep but also running at folk and making them commit, seems skilful with pace, strength and energy.

Stuart93
18-01-2019, 06:22 PM

You don’t fancy the guy and haven’t ever seen him play? Hmm

southsider
18-01-2019, 06:24 PM

Neil said he would bring the side ‘legs’. It’s exactly what we need.

tamig
18-01-2019, 06:24 PM

Based on?

BOB MARLEYS DUG
18-01-2019, 06:25 PM

File this lad under “one of THEY guys”

1875Sean
18-01-2019, 06:26 PM
Andrew Shinnie "done a job"

Been on the bevy?

Iggy Pope
18-01-2019, 06:41 PM

In a blokeish way or some other sort of way?

Waxy
18-01-2019, 06:49 PM

Do do do come on and do the conga fits pretty well to the Malonga song too.

Sioux
18-01-2019, 06:49 PM

Wtf?

bigwheel
18-01-2019, 07:08 PM

Never seen him play for a single minute - wrote off already. Hibs net during transfer window season. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Jack Hackett
18-01-2019, 07:13 PM

I have every faith that our people don't just pick a random on transfermkt. I think that's a hertz thing.

southern hibby
18-01-2019, 07:23 PM
I’ve got no problem with the guy coming in if NL thinks he can do a job and he’s what we need then fair enough.

What I do have a problem with ( and I’m not really sure why ) is we seem to be constantly getting 6 month loans for players. Yes this does work in our favour sometimes, the signing of Kamberi for instance but we’ve now got three 6 month loans on our books. Is this a healthy way for Hibs to go? I’m not sure and for some reason it does feel like it’s a problem as it seems to constantly happen now getting loans in during our transfer window.

GGTTH

Callum_62
18-01-2019, 07:26 PM
I’ve got no problem with the guy coming in if NL thinks he can do a job and he’s what we need then fair enough.

What I do have a problem with ( and I’m not really sure why ) is we seem to be constantly getting 6 month loans for players. Yes this does work in our favour sometimes, the signing of Kamberi for instance but we’ve now got three 6 month loans on our books. Is this a healthy way for Hibs to go? I’m not sure and for some reason it does feel like it’s a problem as it seems to constantly happen now getting loans in during our transfer window.

GGTTH

whos the 3 6 month loans? Gauld (already talked about possible extension), Omeonga and....??? who am I forgetting?

bingo70
18-01-2019, 07:27 PM

GGTTH

I see it as the best way of getting good players out of our price range in the door.

If he absolutely loves it and does well then it will only help us if we then try to keep him on a longer term deal

Jack Hackett
18-01-2019, 07:29 PM

GGTTH

Maybe that's because we need short term solutions to short term problems? While it would be great to plan and sign for the future, there are ongoing problems we need to solve. Personally, I'm not in the least phased when someone comes on loan.

18-01-2019, 07:33 PM
I see it as the best way of getting good players out of our price range in the door.

If he absolutely loves it and does well then it will only help us if we then try to keep him on a longer term deal

This is obviously the strategy. Get boys in on 6 month loan deals. Hope they do well, sell them the club, make them happy then it makes it a lot easier to sign them permanently. Nothing wrong with it and a lot more sensible than *****ing cash on contracts for players who might not fit.

green with envy
18-01-2019, 08:03 PM

Makes no sense if you haven't like the majority of us hasn't heard of the lad - what's the point of your post?

jacomo
18-01-2019, 09:16 PM

GGTTH

Welcome to modern football.

southern hibby
18-01-2019, 09:27 PM
whos the 3 6 month loans? Gauld (already talked about possible extension), Omeonga and....??? who am I forgetting?

Thought Agyepong was on a 6 months with option to extend. Or have I got that wrong?

GGTTH

Callum_62
18-01-2019, 09:29 PM
Thought Agyepong was on a 6 months with option to extend. Or have I got that wrong?

GGTTH

Isnt it a seasons loan?

Anyway i get your point but its probably
Partly the way if the world and market we are in now

Good if some can be persuaded to stay on though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

southern hibby
18-01-2019, 09:30 PM
Or should have I said 6 months left on a season loan for him.

GGTTH

Not In The Know
18-01-2019, 10:21 PM

Nail on head.

CMurdoch
19-01-2019, 12:08 AM

GGTTH

I bet Hearts wish they had signed Malaury Martin on a 6 month deal

As a rule:
The Summer window is for permanent deals and season long loans
The January window is for 6 month loans and pre contracts

southern hibby
19-01-2019, 12:41 AM
I bet Hearts wish they had signed Malaury Martin on a 6 month deal

As a rule:
The Summer window is for permanent deals and season long loans
The January window is for 6 month loans and pre contracts

Can’t argue with that about Martin, but come the summer we will then have another 3 players leaving that will need replaced and it seems to be a vicious circle we may be creeping towards.

Also not sure if we’ll have any other players leaving too. Possibly Brogdan unless we’re extremely lucking in convincing him to stay.

We could say that we might convince one other loan signing to sign on permanently but ( let’s be honest we we’re lucky Kamberi signed considering championship teams were after him ) there’s a good chance if they do well other teams will come in for them.

I do understand that these loans allows us to get players in that we would normally not be able to get and we get to see them and they get to see us but for some reason I personally don’t feel this is the way we should be going. I may feel different if it was one or possibly two on loan but there is 4 I can think of on loan that can just walk away in May. Then back to square one trying to re-address these gaps.

GGTTH

southern hibby
19-01-2019, 12:47 AM
Forgot to add I genuinely hope these guys have an amazing time here and thoroughly enjoy the experience because if they do decide to go back then tell other players of that great time they had here it may just one day persuade another player to join.

GGTTH

CMurdoch
19-01-2019, 01:11 AM
Can’t argue with that about Martin, but come the summer we will then have another 3 players leaving that will need replaced and it seems to be a vicious circle we may be creeping towards.

Also not sure if we’ll have any other players leaving too. Possibly Brogdan unless we’re extremely lucking in convincing him to stay.

We could say that we might convince one other loan signing to sign on permanently but ( let’s be honest we we’re lucky Kamberi signed considering championship teams were after him ) there’s a good chance if they do well other teams will come in for them.

I do understand that these loans allows us to get players in that we would normally not be able to get and we get to see them and they get to see us but for some reason I personally don’t feel this is the way we should be going. I may feel different if it was one or possibly two on loan but there is 4 I can think of on loan that can just walk away in May. Then back to square one trying to re-address these gaps.

GGTTH

Recruitment for the 1st team is constant. Most players are signed on 2 or 3 year contracts so you are looking at a minimum of 4 new permanent players every summer plus a couple of loans. Then another couple of loans in January if you have injuries or there are obvious weaknesses in the team like our midfield and forwards.

It is bad for your financial health if you get your permanent signings wrong. Using Hearts as an example, they will have paid Martin 3.5 years wages for he haw, Conor Sammon 3 years cash in order for him to play for other teams, Oshinwa, years doing he haw then paid off, Old Man Hughes 2/3 years wages to play a couple of games between injury bouts. A massive waste of money from them.
By comparison we have no permanent players massively out the picture and sooking loads of money from the club. We have had Angepong and MacLaren in an almost permanent injured state giving us very little return on our investment but we won't be stuck with them beyond the summer. Far less waste than had they been on permanent contracts.
We can't afford to waste money like Celtic or a team in the top 2 English leagues.

Juniper Greens
19-01-2019, 01:15 AM
Have we signed Tommy Block?

If so, after Ryan Gauld and Tommy Block, he's the first January signing whose name doesn't fit into "that song".

Unless we immediately nickname him Baby Shark of course?

Tommy Block do do do do do do

southern hibby
19-01-2019, 01:30 AM
Recruitment for the 1st team is constant. Most players are signed on 2 or 3 year contracts so you are looking at a minimum of 4 new permanent players every summer plus a couple of loans. Then another couple of loans in January if you have injuries or there are obvious weaknesses in the team like our midfield and forwards.

It is bad for your financial health if you get your permanent signings wrong. Using Hearts as an example, they will have paid Martin 3.5 years wages for he haw, Conor Sammon 3 years cash in order for him to play for other teams, Oshinwa, years doing he haw then paid off, Old Man Hughes 2/3 years wages to play a couple of games between injury bouts. A massive waste of money from them.
By comparison we have no permanent players massively out the picture and sooking loads of money from the club. We have had Angepong and MacLaren in an almost permanent injured state giving us very little return on our investment but we won't be stuck with them beyond the summer. Far less waste than had they been on permanent contracts.
We can't afford to waste money like Celtic or a team in the top 2 English leagues.
Fair comments, but I forgot about MacLaren so that’s 5 on loan that can just walk away in May or he may leave this window.

GGTTH

Viva_Palmeiras
19-01-2019, 04:22 AM
Fair comments, but I forgot about MacLaren so that’s 5 on loan that can just walk away in May or he may leave this window.

GGTTH

It’s all about options. Kamberi for prime example take a player on loan and agree an option and price. Mitigates the risk of an Agathe.

Tug Wilson
19-01-2019, 06:49 AM
I really don't understand people's aversion to loan signings. Can't help feeling that this complaint is only trotted out when the team is not performing.

Stewboy
19-01-2019, 06:52 AM
It’s all about options. Kamberi for prime example take a player on loan and agree an option and price. Mitigates the risk of an Agathe.

I doesn't really, its actually the same. Boy comes in and does well so that alerts other clubs who can talk to parent club.

One way to really mitigate THAT risk is to sign the lad on a permanent deal, but then that opens up a risk of him being a flop, and then on a long term contract.

Both loan and permanent come at a risk, however the way of football now is to take 'better' players from bigger clubs

superfurryhibby
19-01-2019, 07:12 AM
I doesn't really, its actually the same. Boy comes in and does well so that alerts other clubs who can talk to parent club.

One way to really mitigate THAT risk is to sign the lad on a permanent deal, but then that opens up a risk of him being a flop, and then on a long term contract.

Both loan and permanent come at a risk, however the way of football now is to take 'better' players from bigger clubs

Option to sign at an agreed price does circumvent the risk of losing a successful loanee. Not sure of the way of football, but Hibs aren’t going to be in a position to take better players from bigger clubs very often. More likely is signing players that haven’t cut it at bigger clubs, it comes with risk, no matter how you look at it.

Hibee Mac
19-01-2019, 07:31 AM

Signing on a loan with an agreed option to sign (basically first dibs) does mitigate the risk though?

And it also mitigates the risk of said player being a flop and being stuck with him, win win in many ways.

Stewboy
19-01-2019, 07:36 AM
Signing on a loan with an agreed option to sign (basically first dibs) does mitigate the risk though?

And it also mitigates the risk of said player being a flop and being stuck with him, win win in many ways.

Aye, that's a fair point!

Gmack7
19-01-2019, 10:37 AM
so he's played a few games in Italy's top league and has a few under 21 caps for Belgium,But he doesn't even have 1 not 1 full cap for Belgium it's a no from me as they dont have many good midfielders.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
19-01-2019, 10:38 AM
so he's played a few games in Italy's top league and has a few under 21 caps for Belgium,But he doesn't even have 1 not 1 full cap for Belgium it's a no from me as they dont have many good midfielders.

😂

Smartie
19-01-2019, 10:59 AM
I really don't understand people's aversion to loan signings. Can't help feeling that this complaint is only trotted out when the team is not performing.

The team during the second half of last season had loads of loan signings and was up there with the best Hibs sides I've seen.

No problem with them at all - but it makes for an easy target of the team isn't playing well.

Totally rebuilding the squad every summer isn't hugely appealing though, especially considering our mixed success with this approach.

neil7908
19-01-2019, 10:59 AM
Option to sign at an agreed price does circumvent the risk of losing a successful loanee. Not sure of the way of football, but Hibs aren’t going to be in a position to take better players from bigger clubs very often. More likely is signing players that haven’t cut it at bigger clubs, it comes with risk, no matter how you look at it.

I don't mind the odd loan signing but you shouldn't fill the team with them. If you are bringing players in on loan I agree that an option to sign is ideal, though I appreciate not alway possible.

I think generally though loans are only brought in when a team isn't doing well. They aren't a great way to build for the future.

Sioux
19-01-2019, 11:07 AM
Signing a player on loan with an option to buy is only an agreement between the clubs. There's no guarantee that when the loan ends, and the player returns to his club, that the player will agree to a transfer, no matter what the clubs had agreed.

The advantage is that the agreed price is most likely lower than what the market value would have been otherwise

Hermit Crab
19-01-2019, 11:15 AM
Taken from Genoa Twitter-It's official, Stéphane #Omeonga will take the direction of Scotland and join the club of @HibernianFC , evolving in Premiership. The talented 22-year-old Belgian midfielder has already greeted his teammates and will be loaned for a period of 6 months. #Genoa

SirDavidsNapper
19-01-2019, 11:17 AM
Seem a decent lot over at Genoa

we are hibs
19-01-2019, 11:26 AM
He's at Easter road now having pictures done with a scarf

Hibbyradge
19-01-2019, 11:32 AM
Obviously, good players on permanent contracts is the preferred arrangement, but in respect of our core first team, I'd rather have a quality loanee than a mediocre journeyman on a 3 year contract.

I think this is Lennon's philosophy too.

CockneyRebel
19-01-2019, 11:42 AM
Obviously, good players on permanent contracts is the preferred arrangement, but in respect of our core first team, I'd rather have a quality loanee than a mediocre journeyman on a 3 year contract.

I think this is Lennon's philosophy too.

Absolutely agree with all of the above.

superfurryhibby
19-01-2019, 11:46 AM
I don't mind the odd loan signing but you shouldn't fill the team with them. If you are bringing players in on loan I agree that an option to sign is ideal, though I appreciate not alway possible.

I think generally though loans are only brought in when a team isn't doing well. They aren't a great way to build for the future.

Look at recent loanees. Ambrose-signed permanently after loan, Kamberi and Marciano, the same. Allan signed on loan twice and now heading for a permanent again. Stokes-loan and permanent. MacLaren -loan then loan with a permanent option. Did Boyle also not come initially onloan?

The team has been doing well enough these past four years, the quality is much better than that of past times.

It’s a low risk strategy which supplements the regular squad. Guys like Barker and Gunnarson also did well on loan. The club are doing good business all round. No need to worry.

southern hibby
19-01-2019, 11:47 AM

Tug-W, just so you know I’m not complaining about loans I just think that having so many short term loans at the one time is a bad idea because when May comes round we are back to square one looking for more players to fill gaps again. As I said it’s a vicious circle we seem to be getting into.

GGTTH

hfc rd
19-01-2019, 11:51 AM
Look at recent loanees. Ambrose-signed permanently after loan, Kamberi and Marciano, the same. Allan signed on loan twice and now heading for a permanent again. Stokes-loan and permanent. MacLaren -loan then loan with a permanent option. Did Boyle also not come initially onloan?

The team has been doing well enough these past four years, the quality is much better than that of past times.

It’s a low risk strategy which supplements the regular squad. Guys like Barker and Gunnarson also did well on loan. The club are doing good business all round. No need to worry.

Yep Martin Boyle was a loan with an option to buy when we done a swap deal with Dundee who took Alex Harris on the same deal.

Also another cup winning legend that we had on loan was Liam Henderson.

Hibbyradge
19-01-2019, 11:53 AM
Tug-W, just so you know I’m not complaining about loans I just think that having so many short term loans at the one time is a bad idea because when May comes round we are back to square one looking for more players to fill gaps again. As I said it’s a vicious circle we seem to be getting into.

GGTTH

I doubt you'll find any disagreement with that view, but the alternative, i.e. signing players below the desired quality, is worse.

jakedance
19-01-2019, 11:57 AM

Totally agree. Nothing wrong with loan signings if they’re good players with the right attitude.

Hibbyradge
Yep Martin Boyle was a loan with an option to buy when we done a swap deal with Dundee who took Alex Harris on the same deal.

Scott Bain was another successful loan, albeit for very different reasons.

superfurryhibby

How could I have forgotten!

As othrs have said, the loans can bring in quality that we couldn’t otherwise find. It’s a part of modern football, just like any other aspect of transfer business, it’s all about how well you manage it!

superfurryhibby
19-01-2019, 12:00 PM
Scott Bain was another successful loan, albeit for very different reasons.

Yep, that ended up being part of a shrewd bit of loan based transfer business from Hibs that brought Allan back and led to a tremendous last half of the season.

elevengoats
19-01-2019, 12:58 PM
I'm assuming it's him anyway

Really exciting news!

alihibs1
19-01-2019, 04:39 PM
Currently at Easter Road. On his Instagram story

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

banchoryhibs
19-01-2019, 04:49 PM
He was in the West Upper today wearing club kit. Looks like the deal is over the line.
Just need to see the scarf over his head now.

The Spaceman
19-01-2019, 04:56 PM
Like the sound of this guy - sounds like, on paper, he is just what we need! If we can get Allan this window, a good pedigree of striker (CumDog!) and a winger in, think we will be looking good! Really hope Agyepong will come back in too.

TAHibby
19-01-2019, 04:58 PM

tamig
19-01-2019, 05:03 PM

Pedant alert. Scott Allan was only on loan once. When he joined in 2014 it was a two year permanent deal.

04Sauzee
19-01-2019, 05:04 PM

Nice , looking forward to the rest of the season.
Would be outstanding if we can get Allan in and at least one forward and a wide player.

Speedway
19-01-2019, 05:04 PM

I don’t want to jump the gun here but he may have signed.

machibby
19-01-2019, 05:53 PM
Looks decent from the clip on his Instagram

Big_Franck
19-01-2019, 06:09 PM
I know we've seen some great highlight reels before, only for the boy to turn out to be gash, but here (https://www.instagram.com/p/BjkigbeAaaH/) is Omeonga's.

He has played against some decent opposition. Looking forward to seeing him!

Jack Hackett
19-01-2019, 06:10 PM
Pedant alert. Scott Allan was only on loan once. When he joined in 2014 it was a two year permanent deal.

Pedant alert... 2 years is not 'permanent' :greengrin

Heisenberg
19-01-2019, 06:12 PM
I know we've seen some great highlight reels before, only for the boy to turn out to be gash, but here (https://www.instagram.com/p/BjkigbeAaaH/) is Omeonga's.

The way he battled for the ball in one of those clips was so similar to John McGinn’s style.

SRHibs
19-01-2019, 06:18 PM

Balenciaga! 😳

tamig
19-01-2019, 06:19 PM
Pedant alert... 2 years is not 'permanent' :greengrin

Fair cop guv.

04Sauzee
19-01-2019, 07:01 PM
Looks pretty official without being official 😂😂 :)

https://twitter.com/cabbage0762/status/1086715070602768384?s=19

adhibs
19-01-2019, 07:05 PM

Very impressed by that. Good technique, plenty tricks, strong, and direct. Hopefully he can contribute like that over full games.

Jack Hackett
19-01-2019, 07:48 PM
Looks pretty official without being official 😂😂 :)

https://twitter.com/cabbage0762/status/1086715070602768384?s=19

Cracking image of ER in that feed

A beacon of light in the gloom :flag:

Gmack7
20-01-2019, 09:30 AM
Do we announce new signings on Sundays or will we be kept waiting until tomorrow?

Hermit Crab
20-01-2019, 09:44 AM
4pm today. :greengrin

Winston Ingram
20-01-2019, 10:03 AM

Baffles me as well. It’s rare that we sign a player on more than a 1 or a 2 year deal anyway

where'stheslope
20-01-2019, 10:11 AM
Baffles me as well. It’s rare that we sign a player on more than a 1 or a 2 year deal anyway
Only problem with loan players, is they are not yours and can be pulled back at any time ( look at Gregg Stewart) and leave you in the lurch!
Plus, why spend money on East Mains and youth if your forever bringing in loan players to fill gaps?

Hibbyradge
20-01-2019, 10:17 AM
Plus, why spend money on East Mains and youth if your forever bringing in loan players to fill gaps?

Daily training?

GloryGlory
20-01-2019, 10:31 AM
Only problem with loan players, is they are not yours and can be pulled back at any time ( look at Gregg Stewart) and leave you in the lurch!

I can think of Marciano, Kamberi, Mallan and Horgan as recent examples of players signed for 3+ years.

04Sauzee
20-01-2019, 10:34 AM
It's not like we have had to use some of the younger boys who have come through the academy

Porteous
Gullan
Shaw
Mackie

And we have Fraser Murray who there are high hopes for.

Tug Wilson
20-01-2019, 10:49 AM

We started with Mackie yesterday who is a East Mains product. There were 3 more on the bench of which 2 came on. I don't think that us bringing in some loan players is hampering the youth development.

I don't agree with the view that loan players somehow try less than players on full contracts. Yes we have had players on loan who have been poor but we have also had players signed on long term deals that have been rubbish as well.

Seems that as soon as a few results go badly people look for scapegoats and loan players are an easy target.

I doubt that we could have got Bogdan on a permanent deal so no complaints about getting him on loan.

We were all (mostly) delighted when we got Jamie Mac back on loan and were desperate to get Brandon back so happy to do similar business with Man City for Agyepong.

We could not get Ryan Gauld on anything but a loan.

Indeed in the January window you are often looking more at loans than transfers as teams try to refresh their squads for minimal outlay until they can do more permanent business in the summer.

Sometimes a short term fix is what is required.

Speedway
20-01-2019, 10:54 AM
We started with Mackie yesterday who is a East Mains product. There were 3 more on the bench of which 2 came on. I don't think that us bringing in some loan players is hampering the youth development.

I don't agree with the view that loan players somehow try less than players on full contracts. Yes we have had players on loan who have been poor but we have also had players signed on long term deals that have been rubbish as well.

Seems that as soon as a few results go badly people look for scapegoats and loan players are an easy target.

I doubt that we could have got Bogdan on a permanent deal so no complaints about getting him on loan.

We were all (mostly) delighted when we got Jamie Mac back on loan and were desperate to get Brandon back so happy to do similar business with Man City for Agyepong.

We could not get Ryan Gauld on anything but a loan.

Indeed in the January window you are often looking more at loans than transfers as teams try to refresh their squads for minimal outlay until they can do more permanent business in the summer.

Sometimes a short term fix is what is required.

Didn’t we sign Mackie from Raith?

Tug Wilson
20-01-2019, 10:55 AM
I can think of Marciano, Kamberi, Mallan and Horgan as recent examples of players signed for 3+ years.

Slivka was also a 3 year deal.

We signed SJM on a 4 year contract when we were in the Championship.

I think any squad is likely to be a mix of permanent contracts, short term loans and youth players. Hibs seem to have the balance about right just now.

04Sauzee
20-01-2019, 10:57 AM

I actually think you could be right

Tug Wilson
20-01-2019, 10:58 AM

Fair point. Been at Hibs for 3 years now. Still a development player who is now breaking through to the 1st team rather than straight in there.

J-C
20-01-2019, 11:54 AM
Fair point. Been at Hibs for 3 years now. Still a development player who is now breaking through to the 1st team rather than straight in there.

Originally at Hibs and was told too small, went to Raith and re signed at 16 yr, so you could say he's came through our Dev squad.

1van Sprou7e
20-01-2019, 12:05 PM
Originally at Hibs and was told too small, went to Raith and re signed at 16 yr, so you could say he's came through our Dev squad.

Is that really what happened? Dunno why every time a young player is released people claim it's because he was "too small"

Fair play if I'm wrong but I can't imagine us still doing that in this day and age

Hibernian Verse
20-01-2019, 12:10 PM
Is that really what happened? Dunno why every time a young player is released people claim it's because he was "too small"

Fair play if I'm wrong but I can't imagine us still doing that in this day and ageThat guy Lewis Stevenson never made it cos of his height either.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

SirDavidsNapper
20-01-2019, 12:10 PM

Yeah. Both Hibs and Hearts offered contracts and he chose the good guys.

Greencore
20-01-2019, 12:32 PM

Came through at hibs, was let go and raith signed him. We and hearts wanted him. Signed for us.