PDA

View Full Version : Hibs in 1902...

Babyshamble
18-01-2019, 03:17 AM
A Dons mate of mine sent me An old paper clip stating Hibs tried to relocate to Aberdeen.namely pittodrie.a year before Aberdeen were formed.sorry can't seem to post the foto.any historians shed some light on this? Will be glad to send the foto in an email.

BILLYHIBS
18-01-2019, 06:42 AM
A Dons mate of mine sent me An old paper clip stating Hibs tried to relocate to Aberdeen.namely pittodrie.a year before Aberdeen were formed.sorry can't seem to post the foto.any historians shed some light on this? Will be glad to send the foto in an email.

Rings a bell.

Confirmed on Hibernian Historical Trust website as at that time HIBS were only renting their ground

There was Dundee HIBS and look what happened to them :greengrin

We also have our impersonators in the West

Geo_1875
18-01-2019, 06:50 AM
Franchising all over Scotland?

One Day
18-01-2019, 08:53 AM
I'm sure that I read this in one of the Hibs books. It was rumoured that Hibs were planning to move to Aberdeen and 2 or 3 smaller teams in Aberdeen merged to create Aberdeen FC and prevent this happening.

SouthMoroccoStu
18-01-2019, 09:27 AM
You know what. I think we won the cup that year

MB62
18-01-2019, 09:30 AM
There was also a Glasgow Hibernian and a Kilmarnock Hibernian (don't know if this is the same Killie of today or a different club altogether)

makaveli1875
18-01-2019, 09:36 AM
You know what. I think we won the cup that year

Won the league in season 1902-03 too

CentreLine
18-01-2019, 09:38 AM
There was also a Glasgow Hibernian and a Kilmarnock Hibernian (don't know if this is the same Killie of today or a different club altogether)

Now that would be interesting to bottom out. One for our historians. My understanding is that Glasgow Rangers (as was) were created by the “establishment “ pumping money in to a small team in Glasgow Green to counter the rise and popularity of the Celtic team inspired by us. Perhaps today’s Kilmarnock was similar??? 🤔

superfurryhibby
18-01-2019, 09:50 AM
Now that would be interesting to bottom out. One for our historians. My understanding is that Glasgow Rangers (as was) were created by the “establishment “ pumping money in to a small team in Glasgow Green to counter the rise and popularity of the Celtic team inspired by us. Perhaps today’s Kilmarnock was similar??? 🤔

Rangers were formed long before Celtic. The established teams of the first generation of Scottish football were the likes of Queens Park, Renton, Vale of Leven, Rangers and Third Lanark. If there was an establishment team in the pioneer years it was probably Queens Park.

SouthMoroccoStu
18-01-2019, 09:53 AM
I'm sure that I read this in one of the Hibs books. It was rumoured that Hibs were planning to move to Aberdeen and 2 or 3 smaller teams in Aberdeen merged to create Aberdeen FC and prevent this happening.

So if it wasn’t for the sheep we’d be yams.... ;)

Shudder at the thought

Joe6-2
18-01-2019, 12:37 PM

Thank the Lord

Joe6-2
18-01-2019, 12:37 PM
So if it wasn’t for the sheep we’d be yams.... ;)

Shudder at the thought

🤢🤮

JeMeSouviens
18-01-2019, 12:52 PM
Rangers were formed long before Celtic. The established teams of the first generation of Scottish football were the likes of Queens Park, Renton, Vale of Leven, Rangers and Third Lanark. If there was an establishment team in the pioneer years it was probably Queens Park.

It's true that Rangers grew fat on embracing the position of Protestant challengers to the Catholic Celtic though. And in the early 1900s Celtic were the dominant team in Scotland which didn't sit well with notions of Prod supremacy.

G15 Hibs
18-01-2019, 01:20 PM

Killie celebrated their 150th anniversary the other week, so I reckon they owe nothing to Hibs.

JeMeSouviens
18-01-2019, 01:48 PM
Killie celebrated their 150th anniversary the other week, so I reckon they owe nothing to Hibs.

Oldest professional club in Scotland.

southsider
18-01-2019, 01:53 PM
Hibs inspired hundreds of clubs in Scotland to take up the game. Some with Hibs in the title (eg Maryhill Hibs) and others not. Lots of clubs with the last name Emerald or Emmet were formed. Some were feeder clubs to Hibs, again others were not. However the emergence of seltic (sic) chamged all that.

Keith_M
18-01-2019, 02:02 PM
Hibs inspired hundreds of clubs in Scotland to take up the game. Some with Hibs in the title (eg Maryhill Hibs) and others not. Lots of clubs with the last name Emerald or Emmet were formed. Some were feeder clubs to Hibs, again others were not. However the emergence of seltic (sic) chamged all that. We

Hibs actively encouraged other emergent clubs in various areas with immigrant* Irish populations.

Celtc, on the other hand, actively set about closing down any competition for a supporter base, including subsidising buses to Glasgow for supporters from those areas, and also opposed Hibs' promotion to the First Division.

Never mind, though, because they're a 'club unlike any other, with charitable roots' :rolleyes:

* If you want to argue about the word immigrant, start your own thread :)