PDA

View Full Version : VAR for SPFL

Moulin Yarns
17-01-2019, 10:18 PM
Breaking news that VAR will be used in the SPFL. Managers and referees meeting in Perth agree

Hibeesmad
17-01-2019, 10:27 PM
That’s Hearts and Rangers f****d

Moulin Yarns
17-01-2019, 10:28 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46913628

J-C
17-01-2019, 10:30 PM
They have to try and help the refs.

theonlywayisup
17-01-2019, 10:31 PM

Nah, depends who they've got in the VAR studio.

Michael
17-01-2019, 10:33 PM
Good. We should have started trialling it a couple years back though.

BILLYHIBS
17-01-2019, 10:41 PM

:faf:

Diclonius
17-01-2019, 10:55 PM
It'll be a bumpy introduction, but for the best.

One thing's guaranteed though - we'll never again score a goal against Hearts that just crosses the line.

Vault Boy
17-01-2019, 11:25 PM
Good news IMO.

Goal line technology should have been introduced years ago (the season in which Sparky belted that free kick in off the bar from about 125 yards against Hearts for example 🙄). I don't see this mentioned in the article but I'm hoping that comes hand in hand.

Waxy
17-01-2019, 11:25 PM
So the jambos will have to get by without their double figure amount of pens a season now.

tonyrougier123
17-01-2019, 11:36 PM
Better refereeing first please,VAR is something the game doesnt need imo.....summer football and decent fixture lists should be agreed in this same manner by teams calling a meeting with sfa chiefs.winter football is rank enuf in scotland without sitting waiting on video anylisis confirmations.as seen last night even though they got the right decision for the derby goal it was still a farce for football tbh.

BroxburnHibee
17-01-2019, 11:41 PM
It's not perfect by any means but if it starts righting wrongs then I welcome it.

Speedy
18-01-2019, 12:03 AM
I know this will sound strange but watching the Southampton Derby game last night, some of the offside decisions were too correct. No advantage was gained and it was close enough - just play on.

tonyrougier123
18-01-2019, 12:19 AM
I know this will sound strange but watching the Southampton Derby game last night, some of the offside decisions were too correct. No advantage was gained and it was close enough - just play on.

Agree its too faffy!

theonlywayisup
18-01-2019, 07:33 AM
Would this be for all Premiership games of just those on telly?

BILLYHIBS
18-01-2019, 07:48 AM

Agree Bryson goal should have been allowed to stand attacking side should be given the advantage to be pulled up for offside because of an ankle or elbow not obvious to the human eye ridiculous imo

Justice prevailed

The Spaceman
18-01-2019, 08:02 AM
Great news - teams like ours which try to play football can rejoice, whilst teams like Hearts are going to have to change their decades old culture of hacking and fluke. Superb.

SirDavidsNapper
18-01-2019, 08:09 AM
It's a no for me. Football is football, contentious decisions, mistakes, the lot. We've been on the receiving end a lot but it's all part of the game. The SPFL should maybe spend the money on training referees instead and put the rest in grass roots. I'd rather see slick advantage played instead of play stopping to check a video.

worcesterhibby
18-01-2019, 08:12 AM
Great news - teams like ours which try to play football can rejoice, whilst teams like Hearts are going to have to change their decades old culture of hacking and fluke. Superb.

VAR is only used for penalty box incidents and offsides..it won’t stop teams kicking lumps out of us. Plus it’s only as good as the VAR referee watching the screen..they will still all be members of lodges. It will just be lots of decisions in Rangers and hearts favour.

JimBHibees
18-01-2019, 08:15 AM
Prediction all agree a good idea. Consultation period for 18 months. Dispute it costs too much and argument over who pays. Kicked into long grass and all remains the same.

I think some refs would be petrified of this coming in.

Bristolhibby
18-01-2019, 08:18 AM
Prediction all agree a good idea. Consultation period for 18 months. Dispute it costs too much and argument over who pays. Kicked into long grass and all remains the same.

I think some refs would be petrified of this coming in.

Did the article not say the Clubs will pay?

J

Bobby's Cinema
18-01-2019, 08:19 AM
Slightly misleading OP. They back it in principle nothing further has happened yet (and this is managers and refs, why wouldn't they)

cabbageandribs1875
18-01-2019, 08:29 AM
pity we can't get retrospective VAR decisions for the oli goal at tinycastle or the stunning FK from sparky that was 3 ******* yards over the line, which unfortunately the hertz supporting gimp of a linesman astonishingly didn't see...even though thousands of others DID see, along with hunners of thousands on the tellybox

G15 Hibs
18-01-2019, 09:03 AM

J

Mexico will pay

BILLYHIBS
18-01-2019, 09:47 AM
https://vimeo.com/151903603

I feel at the very least we should have had Hawkeye goalline technology

The EPL introduced it 2013/14

It would have saved us grief and lost points in the Sparky and Oli Shaw goal incidents

It works by setting off a buzzer in the refs watch if 100% of the ball crosses the line

I suppose knowing the SPFL cost would have been an objection

The above link shows that Geoff Hurst goal in the 1966 World Cup Final did not cross the line

They think its all over......

MWHIBBIES
18-01-2019, 09:52 AM
Agree Bryson goal should have been allowed to stand attacking side should be given the advantage to be pulled up for offside because of an ankle or elbow not obvious to the human eye ridiculous imo

Justice prevailed
Benefit of what doubt? VAR takes away that doubt and shows he is offside.

Justice prevailed because an illegal goal was correctly disallowed.

Steve20
18-01-2019, 09:53 AM
It's going to take emotion out of the game. The best feeling at a game is the joy and celebration of when you score. To have that taken away by waiting about for a couple of minutes, just takes that moment away. You can't get that back, even once the decisions been made. The Southampton-Derby match the other night and the Spurs-Chelsea penalty decision was just far too long a wait.

It will be terrible for fans who attend games.

J-C
18-01-2019, 10:03 AM
Benefit of what doubt? VAR takes away that doubt and shows he is offside.

Justice prevailed because an illegal goal was correctly disallowed.

Don't know about that, I've watched it a few times and like the pundits the defenders shoulder is directly in line with the attackers leg which looked offside, usually if it's that close the attacker gets the benefit.

My_Wife_Camille
18-01-2019, 10:04 AM
It's going to take emotion out of the game. The best feeling at a game is the joy and celebration of when you score. To have that taken away by waiting about for a couple of minutes, just takes that moment away. You can't get that back, even once the decisions been made. The Southampton-Derby match the other night and the Spurs-Chelsea penalty decision was just far too long a wait.

Can’t agree with this at all. It’s not going to be used every time someone scores a goal FFS, just the rare occasion where there has been a foul or an offiside.

Take Forsters wrongly disallowed goal at Tynecastle as an example. Would you really say that you wouldn’t have waited a couple of minutes to verify that goal which could have gone as far as save us from relegation and years in the Championship just because the celebration wouldn’t have been as good?

J-C
18-01-2019, 10:08 AM
Can’t agree with this at all. It’s not going to be used every time someone scores a goal FFS, just the rare occasion where there has been a foul or an offiside.

Take Forsters wrongly disallowed goal at Tynecastle as an example. Would you really say that you wouldn’t have waited a couple of minutes to verify that goal which could have gone as far as save us from relegation and years in the Championship just because the celebration wouldn’t have been as good?

:agree: Lots of incidents would have made a huge difference to Hibs, Griffiths long range strike, Shaw's disallowed goal and the ridiculous missed hand ball against Falkirk, these are things VAR and goal line technology were designed for.

BILLYHIBS
18-01-2019, 10:11 AM
[QUOTE=MWHIBBIES;5667088]Benefit of what doubt? VAR takes away that doubt and shows he is offside.

Justice prevailed because an illegal goal was correctly disallowed.[/QUOTE

https://youtu.be/e0wFm3QBRbo

Never said benefit of the doubt?

VAR was brought in for a clear and obvious error

Was it clear and obvious?

Did the linesman raise his flag?

In 1990 the offside rule was changed to be level was onside

I understand your point of view but we are talking mm?

As a neutral I prefer to go with the pundits

At the end of the day it is a no goal

justice prevailed because Derby won ��

blackpoolhibs
18-01-2019, 10:12 AM
I like VAR when i'm watching at home, it seems to add a bit to the drama. Yet at a game, i can see how it takes away the spontaneous reactions a fan has to certain incidents.

cabbageandribs1875
18-01-2019, 10:17 AM

imagine the mixed emotions for us hibs fans when hertz score an equaliser against us in the 95th minute at tinycastle, only to see it chalked off by the VAR men

:)

Scouse Hibee
18-01-2019, 10:54 AM
Not a fan of VAR, it takes far too long and leaves fans in the ground wondering what the hell is happening. Goal line technology is sufficient in my opinion. VAR changes the game as we know it completely.

The Green Goblin
18-01-2019, 11:08 AM
I would use it for suspected red cards, tricky penalty claims and disputed goals.

SirDavidsNapper
18-01-2019, 11:11 AM
Not a fan of VAR, it takes far too long and leaves fans in the ground wondering what the hell is happening. Goal line technology is sufficient in my opinion. VAR changes the game as we know it completely.

Completely agree

JimBHibees
18-01-2019, 11:19 AM

J

Certainly seemed to be that the SFA chief exec was indicating the clubs should pay however assume clubs would expect contributions from others such as governing bodies/TV companies etc

JimBHibees
18-01-2019, 11:23 AM

That was one of the worst decisions I have ever seen given the player playing onside ran right past the linesman, that is where the line between competency and selective competency is blurred IMO. It was ok though he text the Hibs manager to next day to say he got it wrong. Pretty sure it was the same person who was the linesman in the infamous Dortmund Malaga game.

Carheenlea
18-01-2019, 12:32 PM
I’m for goal line technology to determine for certain if balls have crossed the line, but that would be as far as I would go with the technology. Not really that enthusiastic about rolling out full VAR. A lot of decisions in football are left to matter of opinion. It may make some incidents clearer, but you can bet that despite watching footage over and over there will still be arguments and debate over decisions made by the official viewing the VAR. Not a fan.

where'stheslope
18-01-2019, 12:33 PM
:agree: Lots of incidents would have made a huge difference to Hibs, Griffiths long range strike, Shaw's disallowed goal and the ridiculous missed hand ball against Falkirk, these are things VAR and goal line technology were designed for.
It would make a huge difference to other clubs as well!!!
Its not as if we've never scored any dodgy goals or had dodgy decisions go our way!!
The main hope is to try and get parity within the league for all teams and try and stop what seems to be biased decisions during games!!!!!

MWHIBBIES
18-01-2019, 12:57 PM
https://youtu.be/e0wFm3QBRbo

Never said benefit of the doubt?

VAR was brought in for a clear and obvious error

Was it clear and obvious?

Did the linesman raise his flag?

In 1990 the offside rule was changed to be level was onside

I understand your point of view but we are talking mm?

As a neutral I prefer to go with the pundits

At the end of the day it is a no goal

justice prevailed because Derby won ��Yes it was clear and obvious because he was offside.

worcesterhibby
18-01-2019, 01:13 PM
Yes it was clear and obvious because he was offside.

Except it is far from clear that he was offside.

BoomtownHibees
18-01-2019, 01:16 PM
The “Clear and Obvious” chat has nothing to do with offside.

If he’s offside, he’s offside. Not “just offside” or “just onside”. If you’re off you’re off

Hibbyradge
18-01-2019, 01:17 PM

The vast majority of goals are given with no need for VAR.

The occasional goal will be looked at do that the correct decision is made.

That's definitely a good thing.

Hibbyradge
18-01-2019, 01:21 PM
imagine the mixed emotions for us hibs fans when hertz score an equaliser against us in the 95th minute at tinycastle, only to see it chalked off by the VAR men

:)

That's another good point.

VAR will add drama for both sets of fans.

Hibbyradge
18-01-2019, 01:21 PM

For the better.

BILLYHIBS
18-01-2019, 01:22 PM
Yes it was clear and obvious because he was offside.

So why did the ref not give it right away if it was obvious because it wasn’t

We are both agreed justice was done in the end

Jones28
18-01-2019, 01:31 PM

But the decision was correct? So you'd rather have a game with wrong decisions and be able to celebrate a goal immediately than a game where you have to wait a minute or two to make sure it's right?

Makes **** all sense to me.

Hibbyradge
18-01-2019, 01:36 PM
But the decision was correct? So you'd rather have a game with wrong decisions and be able to celebrate a goal immediately than a game where you have to wait a minute or two to make sure it's right?

Makes **** all sense to me.

Plus, we didn't get to celebrate all the goals which were wrongly ruled out.

Keith_M
18-01-2019, 01:43 PM
Considering how many times Hibs have suffered from bad decisions, I'm all in favour

The Green Goblin
18-01-2019, 01:47 PM
That was one of the worst decisions I have ever seen given the player playing onside ran right past the linesman, that is where the line between competency and selective competency is blurred IMO. It was ok though he text the Hibs manager to next day to say he got it wrong. Pretty sure it was the same person who was the linesman in the infamous Dortmund Malaga game.

A different result in that game would have seen us avoid relegation iirc

MWHIBBIES
18-01-2019, 01:58 PM
So why did the ref not give it right away if it was obvious because it wasn’t

We are both agreed justice was done in the end

That's what VAR is for? Duh. The ref got it wrong initially and corrected himself.

BILLYHIBS
18-01-2019, 02:09 PM
OK I surrender offside by the minutist of tiniest bawhairs but still harsh in almost everyone’s opinion bar yours I certainly hope we do not have to go through this after every goal

If VAR wasn’t there it was a goal all day long

How many bawhair decisions have there been since 1875?

JimBHibees
18-01-2019, 02:12 PM

Absolutely.

where'stheslope
18-01-2019, 04:14 PM
A different result in all the other games that season and we could have won the league!!!
Relegation is a season long achievement, not 1 game!!!
I've got to be honest, I'm with you on what you say, but, we were poor that season and telling players who was going was not the way to end it!!!!!

HibbyAndy
18-01-2019, 04:31 PM
Considering how many times Hibs have suffered from bad decisions, I'm all in favour

:agree:

How many disgraceful decisions have Hibs been on the wrong end off in Derby games alone !

The amount of red cards we have been shown only to be rescinded , Horrible late challenges by Black , Templeton Berra etc that all should have been straight reds !

Hearts are ****ed with the amount of dodgey penalties they get week after week after week

Scouse Hibee
18-01-2019, 05:20 PM
For the better.

Not in my opinion, I was all for it in principal but now that I have seen it in action I don't like it. As I have said Goal line technology is fine as it's not really intrusive on the game. At least I can say I have seen plenty of proper football before the technological advances ruined it, youngsters will grow up knowing no difference though so all good. I expect the crowd will be able to vote for MOM from a button on their keypad next, the same keypad that will allow the crowd to select the next player to be substituted. :greengrin

we are hibs
18-01-2019, 06:04 PM
The “Clear and Obvious” chat has nothing to do with offside.

If he’s offside, he’s offside. Not “just offside” or “just onside”. If you’re off you’re off

Exactly. Bewildering people seem to think otherwise. Its not like a tackle where it can be a differing of opinion. It's pretty simple.

Eyrie
18-01-2019, 07:00 PM
I'm in favour of VAR with the following caveat.

The referee only gets 30 seconds to look at the footage. If he can't see anything to overturn the original decision in that time frame, then it isn't clear and obvious so the original call on the field should stand.

Just Alf
18-01-2019, 07:29 PM

The referee only gets 30 seconds to look at the footage. If he can't see anything to overturn the original decision in that time frame, then it isn't clear and obvious so the original call on the field should stand.Good shout

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Iggy Pope
18-01-2019, 07:39 PM
The vast majority of goals are given with no need for VAR.

The occasional goal will be looked at do that the correct decision is made.

That's definitely a good thing.

Watching the Southampton Derby replay the other night it did nothing for excitement and dragged the game backwards. Jeez, there was even a suggestion by the commentary team that every televised game would have its goals reviewed. Hopefully not. Not seeing VAR as progress. Jumping about re-celebrating a strike 60 seconds after the fact will drain the game of its current peak excitement.
Watching the game as a neutral on the telly was hard enough. And it spoiled what could have been pretty good viewing.

Zazu62
18-01-2019, 07:58 PM
Not a fan of VAR, football should just be left the way it is

Hibbyradge
18-01-2019, 08:07 PM
Watching the Southampton Derby replay the other night it did nothing for excitement and dragged the game backwards. Jeez, there was even a suggestion by the commentary team that every televised game would have its goals reviewed. Hopefully not. Not seeing VAR as progress. Jumping about
re-celebrating a strike 60 seconds after the fact will drain the game of its current peak excitement.
Watching the game as a neutral on the telly was hard enough. And it spoiled what could have been pretty good viewing.

I don't see it like that.

If Hibs score, we'll cheer as usual. If it is then challenged, we'll hold our breath.

When it's reviewed and given, we'll cheer again.

It won't just be for goals, the vast majority of which will not need VAR. It'll be for penalty claims, simulation and hand balls.

Those decisions need to be correct and VAR will help ensure they are.

John Macdonald would have been sent off if we'd had VAR in 1978. :wink:

BILLYHIBS
18-01-2019, 08:11 PM

If Hibs score, we'll cheer as usual. If it is then challenged, we'll hold our breath.

It won't just be for goals, the vast majority of which will not need VAR. It'll be for penalty claims, simulation and hand balls.

Diving Wee b

Enjoy your holiday 😁

MrSmith
18-01-2019, 08:14 PM

I agree 100% works very well in rugby. John Macdonald :grr: I relive that every sevco game at Easter Road! f@£$%^&G hate him! was about 13 or 14 when that happened, scarred for life!

delbert
18-01-2019, 08:15 PM

Yeh and we would have lost the Killie game at home which we won 3-2 with both penalty decisions being reversed, careful what you wish for with VAR !

Hibeesmad
18-01-2019, 08:19 PM
Yeh and we would have lost the Killie game at home which we won 3-2 with both penalty decisions being reversed, careful what you wish for with VAR !

And the Griffiths, Forster and Shaw goals would have stood against Hearts

Iggy Pope
18-01-2019, 08:20 PM

I don’t see it happening that way and I’m not sure VAR is helping get it right at all.
And it’s took the edge off the telly viewing already. Don’t know, but that could be important to a lot of folks who might depend on watching some form or other of TV pictures for their football......?

Hibbyradge
18-01-2019, 08:38 PM
Diving Wee b

Enjoy your holiday 😁

I'm back 👍

BILLYHIBS
18-01-2019, 08:46 PM
I'm back 👍
See you behind the goals then 😁👍🏾⚽️🏆🇳🇬

Wee Effen Bee
18-01-2019, 08:47 PM
Completely agree
Me tae Anaw. I agree with the anti-VAR comments and would add my concern: we teach our bairns to become as resilient as possible. One way of getting the message across is to ensure they are aware, that at the end of the day, life is feckn’unfair. How we deal with the downs in life determines our well-being. Surely grown up laddies could learn to accept a poor decision - without all this need for delay and hi-techy intervention - and be the better person for it. Learn to accept, that mistakes, although a frustrating part of the game, are also a catalyst for good banter/slagging/debate which can literally last for years.

Hibbyradge
18-01-2019, 09:04 PM
See you behind the goals then 😁👍🏾⚽️🏆🇳🇬

My next trip to Edinburgh will be for the Aberdeen game.

I had considered going up tomorrow, but I'm not long off the plane and I'm knackered. A journey tomorrow would finish me off. :greengrin

Jones28
18-01-2019, 09:10 PM

The referee only gets 30 seconds to look at the footage. If he can't see anything to overturn the original decision in that time frame, then it isn't clear and obvious so the original call on the field should stand.

But the whole point is to get the decision correct, this not only puts the referee under pressure to get it right but then gives them a time constrain like a game of ****ing countdown.

Eyrie
18-01-2019, 11:22 PM
But the whole point is to get the decision correct, this not only puts the referee under pressure to get it right but then gives them a time constrain like a game of ****ing countdown.

If the whole point is to get the decision correct then we need twenty cameras at every game and reviews could last fifteen minutes.

If the whole point is to avoid obvious errors then a thirty second review period will satisfy the objective without overly disrupting the flow of the game.