PDA

View Full Version : Player Agents

Captain Trips
16-01-2019, 06:16 PM
Are there many if any players at the higher or highest level who do not use an agent and conduct their own dealings?

James310
16-01-2019, 06:20 PM
Are there many if any players at the higher or highest level who do not use an agent and conduct their own dealings?

Paul Scholes did I believe.

bingo70
16-01-2019, 06:26 PM
Not sure how high a level you’re talking but I’m sure Christian Dailly never had an agent.

Michael
16-01-2019, 06:40 PM
Flamini

Peevemor
16-01-2019, 06:42 PM
Messi's agent is (or was) his dad.

Danderhall Hibs
16-01-2019, 06:53 PM
Roy Keane used a lawyer. Not sure who does it nowadays.

Chuck Rhoades
16-01-2019, 07:04 PM
In terms of the modern era, I am sure I read both Rashford and Alexander-Arnold use their respective brothers as their agents.

Edit - this thread is a sore reminder Willie McKay was paid £500k when Scott Brown moved from us to Celtic.

Is It On....
16-01-2019, 08:10 PM
I don't think Robbie Fowler had an agent - Souness apparently told him to get a good Financial Advisor / Accountant .

Scouse Hibee
16-01-2019, 08:36 PM
I don't think Robbie Fowler had an agent - Souness apparently told him to get a good Financial Advisor / Accountant .

Robbie has been a huge success as a businessman, invested well in property and goes from strength to strength.

Centre Hawf
16-01-2019, 10:42 PM
I think Colin Murdochs wife was a lawyer and may have helped with his dealings. Last I heard he moved into the world of Football Agency and is currently Johnny Evans' agent and netted a tidy profit from his most recent move I believe.

overdrive
16-01-2019, 11:15 PM

Where that may act as a disadvantage though is that a financial advisor or accountant won’t necessarily have the contacts in the game to fix you up with a club whereas an agent is more likely to have these contacts. It would be easier for a guy like Fowler in his prime that would likely have lots of clubs aware of him compared to a lesser known player.

Think of all the times you hear of a club signing a player off the back of an agent contacting them. That will be in part because agents have relationships with clubs. Non-agents are less likely to have those relationships to exploit.

basehibby
16-01-2019, 11:41 PM
If a player or a close friend or family member has the skills to deal with football clubs etc re contract negotiations then fair play to them - the players in question will maybe save themselves a few bob or keep it in the family. I suspect though that for a great many players this would serve as a sometimes bewildering distraction from their actual job of playing football. So - despite the controversy they stir up and the parasitical nature of some agents, I would say the advent of the football agent has been a good thing. If I were a professional footballer I would be glad to have the option to have someone to represent me who knew the ins and outs of football contracts and had a decent handle on what I was actually worth.

Hibeesmad
17-01-2019, 12:57 AM
Hibs took away a contract offer to John Robertson because he wanted to discuss the offer with his brother Chris who was at Rangers