PDA

View Full Version : David Wagner leaves Huddersfield

theonlywayisup
14-01-2019, 05:11 PM
David Wagner has left Huddersfield Town as manager by mutual consent with the club bottom of the Premier League.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46864005

Not a surprise.

04Sauzee
14-01-2019, 05:14 PM
Shame when that happens as he did a great job getting them up to the premiership and it was always going to be a very hard task to keep them up.

Heckys Wheel
14-01-2019, 05:25 PM
Assuming it wasn’t in fact, by mutual consent, you have to wonder what the board are expecting.

Mibbes Aye
14-01-2019, 05:26 PM
Eight points from safe but the clubs they are tracking look much better.

They also can't score. Horrendous 'goals for' column,

It's a fascinating position - do Huddersfield lump in and try and get someone who will scrape enough to keep them up or do they take the hit and the parachute payment and start building for a strong launch from the Championship next season

HH81
14-01-2019, 05:27 PM
Assuming it wasn’t in fact, by mutual consent, you have to wonder what the board are expecting.

He might have asked to leave? I know before they went up he was leaving if they had not won the shootout at Wembley.

hibsfan7
14-01-2019, 05:29 PM
they should have given him till the end of the season

Mibbes Aye
14-01-2019, 05:30 PM
He might have asked to leave I know before they went up he was leaving if they had not won the shootout at Wembley.

Full stops or commas please? :greengrin

Famous Fiver
14-01-2019, 05:54 PM
Sam Allardice?

Onceinawhile
14-01-2019, 06:02 PM
He might have asked to leave? I know before they went up he was leaving if they had not won the shootout at Wembley.

Apparently did ask to leave saying he needed a break.

Lago
14-01-2019, 06:05 PM
Sam Allardice?
Moyes

The 90+2
14-01-2019, 06:27 PM
He should have left the end of last season. Class manager

overdrive
14-01-2019, 06:45 PM
My Man Utd supporting colleague will be happy. He hates Wagner with a passion because he’s Klopp’s pal.

judas
14-01-2019, 06:50 PM

Er. To stay in the league?

gogsy23
14-01-2019, 07:00 PM
Heard him in an interview on saturday on 5 live or talksport and be came over very well. Seems to have reignited Huddersfields passion and belief and certainly there is/was a great bond between fans and club

jacomo
14-01-2019, 07:13 PM
Eight points from safe but the clubs they are tracking look much better.

They also can't score. Horrendous 'goals for' column,

It's a fascinating position - do Huddersfield lump in and try and get someone who will scrape enough to keep them up or do they take the hit and the parachute payment and start building for a strong launch from the Championship next season

Unless the manager told them he wanted out, it’s surely pointless to sack him unless they are going to try and avoid relegation?

They need players and a fresh approach. I’m sure big Sam is licking his chops.

bingo70
14-01-2019, 07:20 PM
Unless the manager told them he wanted out, it’s surely pointless to sack him unless they are going to try and avoid relegation?

They need players and a fresh approach. I’m sure big Sam is licking his chops.

My perception of Huddersfield recently has been a pretty progressive forward thinking club, they don’t strike me as a club that are desperate to stay in the premiership at any cost?

I’m no expert though so every chance I’m wrong, that’s just my perception of them.

Would they be able to attract Brendan Rodgers? I know Celtic are a million times bigger than Huddersfield but money talks and the lure of the premiership could tempt him?

Scouse Hibee
14-01-2019, 07:27 PM
No chance would he take the Huddersfield job in a million years. Far too big an ego to take on that type of challenge.

The 90+2
14-01-2019, 07:28 PM
My perception of Huddersfield recently has been a pretty progressive forward thinking club, they don’t strike me as a club that are desperate to stay in the premiership at any cost?

I’m no expert though so every chance I’m wrong, that’s just my perception of them.

Would they be able to attract Brendan Rodgers? I know Celtic are a million times bigger than Huddersfield but money talks and the lure of the premiership could tempt him?

Rodgers will get the Leicester job. It’s what made St Martin take Forrest.

Frazerbob
14-01-2019, 07:45 PM
Their chairman has stated that he was not going to be sacked and it was entirely Wagner’s decision. On this occasion it actually looks as though it was mutual consent.

Renton1875
14-01-2019, 07:50 PM
My Man Utd supporting colleague will be happy. He hates Wagner with a passion because he’s Klopp’s pal.

Seriously?

Waxy
14-01-2019, 08:09 PM
Wonder if he’ll go for another shot at Xfactor?

jacomo
14-01-2019, 08:35 PM

Yes, it does appear from the outside to be a happy, well-run club.

Doubt Rodgers would go there because the risk of relegation is too great, but if Leicester sack Puel I think he’d be chomping at the bit.

overdrive
14-01-2019, 09:02 PM
Seriously?

Yep. He seems to think the two conspire with each other with the sole purpose of screwing over United, even if it is to the detriment of Huddersfield. Weird eh?

Swedish hibee
14-01-2019, 09:25 PM
He'll always be loved in Huddersfield. Wonder where he'll go next?

sambajustice
14-01-2019, 09:39 PM
My mate is a Huddersfield season ticket holder. He's gutted.

However, they got off with one last season, they're horrendous in defence and can barely score. It was always going to catch up with them. Even the season they got promoted they finished with a 1 goal difference and didn't even score in the play offs!!

Last season they were about minus 30!!

Not sure if it's them or if I'm thinking of someone else but did they not bin their academy?

I have a soft spot for them because of my mate but they won't be any great loss to the PL. Should really start building now for the championship rather than going for broke. They need about 26/27 points from about 18 games. Starting with Man City on Sunday!

Michael
14-01-2019, 10:18 PM
Not sure how good Wagner is - maybe Championship level. Same goes for Huddersfield really.

Keyser Sauzee
14-01-2019, 10:37 PM
Not sure how good Wagner is - maybe Championship level. Same goes for Huddersfield really.

Surely taking a below average championship team to the premiership and keeping them up makes him better than championship level?

The Baldmans Comb
14-01-2019, 10:51 PM
Never heard of David Wagner and care even less about Huddersfield.

Admire the interest and passion shown but means flip all to me.

jacomo
14-01-2019, 11:04 PM
Surely taking a below average championship team to the premiership and keeping them up makes him better than championship level?

:agree:

tamig
15-01-2019, 09:41 AM
Their chairman has stated that he was not going to be sacked and it was entirely Wagner’s decision. On this occasion it actually looks as though it was mutual consent.

Yes they were talking about it on 5 Live last night. Apparently he told the chairman he wouldn’t be staying beyond the end of the season as he needed a break from the game. The two of them then discussed when the best time to go would be and they agreed on it being now. Absolutely no suggestion of a sacking with this.

heretoday
15-01-2019, 10:08 AM
He'll always be loved in Huddersfield. Wonder where he'll go next?

Some time off and then another job in the championship with a sizeable club fallen on bad times. Preston North End?