PDA

View Full Version : Bobby Robson

GreenNWhiteArmy
13-01-2019, 09:50 PM
Documentary available on Netflix. Fantastic watch. Seems like one of the games greatest guys.

Slaughtered before Italia 90, incredible how the press turned on him.

Britain has produced some incredible giants of world football, for those old enough where does he rank?

The Baldmans Comb
13-01-2019, 10:03 PM
The English media hated him with an absolute vengeance despite him being quite a successful English international manager reaching QF and SF of World Cup.

They set up him up many times just to abuse him and played up a long lost marital affair to undermine him.

Hardly one of the greats of the managerial world more of a very well respected and talented man who had limited though admirable success and Ipswich and Eindhoven fans should rightly laud his achievements.

Also one of the few Englishmen to carve out a successful managerial career in Europe as also did well at Porto and Barca.

Wakeyhibee
13-01-2019, 10:49 PM
I wouldn't say he'd be top 10, Fergie, Busby, Revie, Clough etc..., but I think what he did with a club like lpswich shows he was certainly a talented manager.

SquashedFrogg
13-01-2019, 10:55 PM
I wouldn't say he'd be top 10, Fergie, Busby, Revie, Clough etc..., but I think what he did with a club like lpswich shows he was certainly a talented manager.

Defo top 10 for me. Look where he managed and what he won. Ipswich was just a small part of his career. A sniff away from a world cup too.

Great documentary btw.

HH81
13-01-2019, 11:18 PM
Yes I watched it today. Very good documentary.

I don't remember Newcastle doing that well under him but they were in the champions League.

Great manager and came across as a great guy.

hibbydog
14-01-2019, 04:05 AM
Yes I watched it today. Very good documentary.

I don't remember Newcastle doing that well under him but they were in the champions League.

Great manager and came across as a great guy.

Say that to a Newcastle fan nowadays. ‘We’re not doing that well but we’re in the champions league’ !! Their problems all started when they got rid of Robson because 4th in the league wasn’t good enough for them. Total phannies who didn’t deserve him.

Anyways, great manager.

Wakeyhibee
14-01-2019, 07:19 AM
Defo top 10 for me. Look where he managed and what he won. Ipswich was just a small part of his career. A sniff away from a world cup too.

Great documentary btw.

Well maybe just, I was thinking there were a lot of others, Shankley, Paisley, Stein, Chapman (1920s) to name a few more with greater success.

His Ipswich career was his biggest managerial spell 13 years even I was surprised at that. Genuine bloke who took a lot of unnecessary stick whilst England boss.

Pretty Boy
14-01-2019, 07:53 AM
Say that to a Newcastle fan nowadays. ‘We’re not doing that well but we’re in the champions league’ !! Their problems all started when they got rid of Robson because 4th in the league wasn’t good enough for them. Total phannies who didn’t deserve him.

Anyways, great manager.

There was little to no calls from the fans for Robson to go. There was a bit discontent as the season started with no wins in 4 but the reaction when he was sacked was an angry one. I was at the home game immediately after it was done and the atmosphere was poisonous, Freddy Shepeherd is on record as saying he was subjected to real vitriolic abuse.

A big part of the issue was there was a rotten core in the dressing room and there was a suggestion some players had downed tools. I suppose he has to take a bit responsibility for that as it was very much his team and it was a driving factor in bringing Souness in to 'sort them out'. That went well.

Sacking Robson played a part in Newcastles decline but he wasn't going to be around much longer anyway given his age. That's not an endorsement of the decision btw. The lack of ability to compete financially with the clubs they had challenged throughout the 90s and early to mid 00s was arguably a bigger reason.

Sir Bobby is a legend in Newcastle and you'll be hard pushed to find a Newcastle fan with a bad word to say about him.

SquashedFrogg
14-01-2019, 08:04 AM
Well maybe just, I was thinking there were a lot of others, Shankley, Paisley, Stein, Chapman (1920s) to name a few more with greater success.

His Ipswich career was his biggest managerial spell 13 years even I was surprised at that. Genuine bloke who took a lot of unnecessary stick whilst England boss.

Fair comments. I suppose its how people measure and compare. Let's give him 10 and a half.

CockneyRebel
14-01-2019, 08:27 AM

Surely can't put Revie in front of Robson. Revie had a great squad of players and turned them into the biggest bunch of cheats and thugs in the history of top flight English football. Robson had a wide CV covering quite a few good clubs and a had pretty good run with the England job. Whether or not he should go into the top 10 is an individual vote but he ranks way above Revie IMO.

Wakeyhibee
14-01-2019, 10:13 AM
Surely can't put Revie in front of Robson. Revie had a great squad of players and turned them into the biggest bunch of cheats and thugs in the history of top flight English football. Robson had a wide CV covering quite a few good clubs and a had pretty good run with the England job. Whether or not he should go into the top 10 is an individual vote but he ranks way above Revie IMO.

Included him due to his success. He took Leeds from nearly relegated to the third to a top team in England and Europe. I didn't like his tactics but I've spoken with Peter Lorimer, Alan Clarke and Paul Reaney about him. All speak highly even if he had his faults

Sammy7nil
14-01-2019, 10:22 AM
Two of my Fav Bobby quotes / reported saying

Reporter to Newcastle's Shola Ameobi: "Do you have a nickname?"
Ameobi: "No, not really"
Reporter: "So what does Bobby Robson call you?"
Ameobi: "Carl Cort."

"He's the only man I know who could start an argument with himself."
On former Newcastle striker Craig Bellamy

SquashedFrogg
14-01-2019, 12:05 PM
Two of my Fav Bobby quotes / reported saying

Reporter to Newcastle's Shola Ameobi: "Do you have a nickname?"
Ameobi: "No, not really"
Reporter: "So what does Bobby Robson call you?"
Ameobi: "Carl Cort."

😂🤣 Brilliant!

SChibs
14-01-2019, 01:41 PM
I thought this said 'Barry Robson' and I thought it was a transfer rumour before I opened it. Thank God I misread

JimBHibees
14-01-2019, 02:58 PM
Always came over a genuinely nice man and you have got to give him credit for trying management in other countries at genuinely big clubs.

Also says alot for him to have given the opportunity for young Jose Mourinho to get into coaching when at Porto.

They criticism of him at Italia 90 by the tabloids was pretty shocking but nothing new there. Part of me wanted him to win it just to shut them up, I did say only part though. :greengrin

Mibbes Aye
14-01-2019, 03:30 PM
Outstanding manager who took a provincial English team to unbelievable heights then had success in three different European countries. And did the best with an England team since 1966.

Probably gets lost that he had a decent career as a player. Not shy of a goal and got himself twenty England caps, including scoring in the infamous 9-3 defeat of Scotland.

JimBHibees
14-01-2019, 03:51 PM
Outstanding manager who took a provincial English team to unbelievable heights then had success in three different European countries. And did the best with an England team since 1966.

Probably gets lost that he had a decent career as a player. Not shy of a goal and got himself twenty England caps, including scoring in the infamous 9-3 defeat of Scotland.

Ipswich also won the UEFA cup I think or was it Cup winners cup and were very close to winning the league when Villa won it. Also one of the first I think to have real success with foreign talent Muhren and Thijssen (sp?) were quality technical players.

Mibbes Aye
14-01-2019, 04:07 PM
Ipswich also won the UEFA cup I think or was it Cup winners cup and were very close to winning the league when Villa won it. Also one of the first I think to have real success with foreign talent Muhren and Thijssen (sp?) were quality technical players.

I remember listening to their game against Aberdeen on the radio in 1981. Two outsider clubs who were brimful of talent.

Ipswich were silly good. Decent keeper, strong defence - players like Russell Osman who couldn’t get a sniff of an England cap but was good enough to compete at the highest level - let alone Mick Mills and Terry Butcher and George Burley.

Great midfield with the Dutch guys and John Wark, and real talent upfront with Mariner, Brazil and Gates.

Colr
14-01-2019, 10:16 PM
Bobby Robson was always worth listening to when he was a pundit. Very inciteful and illuminating.

Jackie Charleton was as well!

A million times better than that gob***** Ian Wright.

Scouse Hibee
14-01-2019, 10:47 PM
I remember listening to their game against Aberdeen on the radio in 1981. Two outsider clubs who were brimful of talent.

Ipswich were silly good. Decent keeper, strong defence - players like Russell Osman who couldn’t get a sniff of an England cap but was good enough to compete at the highest level - let alone Mick Mills and Terry Butcher and George Burley.

Great midfield with the Dutch guys and John Wark, and real talent upfront with Mariner, Brazil and Gates.

Russel Osman was capped 11 times for England

jacomo
14-01-2019, 10:49 PM
There was little to no calls from the fans for Robson to go. There was a bit discontent as the season started with no wins in 4 but the reaction when he was sacked was an angry one. I was at the home game immediately after it was done and the atmosphere was poisonous, Freddy Shepeherd is on record as saying he was subjected to real vitriolic abuse.

A big part of the issue was there was a rotten core in the dressing room and there was a suggestion some players had downed tools. I suppose he has to take a bit responsibility for that as it was very much his team and it was a driving factor in bringing Souness in to 'sort them out'. That went well.

Sacking Robson played a part in Newcastles decline but he wasn't going to be around much longer anyway given his age. That's not an endorsement of the decision btw. The lack of ability to compete financially with the clubs they had challenged throughout the 90s and early to mid 00s was arguably a bigger reason.

Sir Bobby is a legend in Newcastle and you'll be hard pushed to find a Newcastle fan with a bad word to say about him.

Newcastle spent so much money chasing the dream. Close to doing a Leeds when Ashley bought them.

Robson was at the end of his career there but still did well and a great manager. Seemingly a very decent guy too which must count for something?

Mibbes Aye
15-01-2019, 09:29 AM
Russel Osman was capped 11 times for England

So much for memory. I would have happily listed him in the category of decent players who never got capped :greengrin

In my head I have Hughes and Watson as centre halves, with Phil Thompson and Terry Butcher coming in to replace them.

Curiously I can’t think of too many centre halves from the period Osman would have been selected. England were very strong for full backs though - Mills, Neal, Sansom, Anderson, Cherry and there must have been others too.

Peevemor
15-01-2019, 10:01 AM
I remember watching a documentary about him, probably about 15 years ago.

Outwith the football stuff, he came across as a lovely, down to earth bloke.

At one point he he pointed out the standard of workmanship and quality of the door facings in St James Park - I thought it was brilliant.

Wakeyhibee
15-01-2019, 10:18 AM
So much for memory. I would have happily listed him in the category of decent players who never got capped :greengrin

In my head I have Hughes and Watson as centre halves, with Phil Thompson and Terry Butcher coming in to replace them.

Curiously I can’t think of too many centre halves from the period Osman would have been selected. England were very strong for full backs though - Mills, Neal, Sansom, Anderson, Cherry and there must have been others too.

Brian Talbot was another decent CF who didn't get much of a look in

Mibbes Aye
15-01-2019, 10:24 AM
Brian Talbot was another decent CF who didn't get much of a look in

:agree:

Alan Sunderland too.

The English top flight was great back then. Lots of very talented Home Nations players who struggled to get international caps but were winning domestic and European trophies galore.

BILLYHIBS
15-01-2019, 12:32 PM
Watched this today

Great player great Manager and a great and brave man

Transformed the fortunes of every club he ever managed Ipswich PSV Barca Porto Newcastle and England

Wore his heart on his sleeve

I had forgotten how good the real Ronaldo was

Sir Bobby Robson RIP

Wakeyhibee
15-01-2019, 01:12 PM
:agree:

Alan Sunderland too.

The English top flight was great back then. Lots of very talented Home Nations players who struggled to get international caps but were winning domestic and European trophies galore.

My post should have read CH btw. Top flight had plenty of Scottish talent too. I seem to recall Scotland naming a top 40 before being whittled down to a 22. Might have been '78, sadly now lucky to get 22

SquashedFrogg
15-01-2019, 01:21 PM
Watched this today

Great player great Manager and a great and brave man

Transformed the fortunes of every club he ever managed Ipswich PSV Barca Porto Newcastle and England

Wore his heart on his sleeve

I had forgotten how good the real Ronaldo was

Sir Bobby Robson RIP

Great summary.

Mibbes Aye
15-01-2019, 01:26 PM
My post should have read CH btw. Top flight had plenty of Scottish talent too. I seem to recall Scotland naming a top 40 before being whittled down to a 22. Might have been '78, sadly now lucky to get 22

There was a ridiculous amount of talent in 78 and 82. It felt like every top English club had a bunch of Scots. The amount of medals either of those two squads had must have been massive and certainly miles greater than the current squad.

The whittling down for 78 was harsh for some and it is incredible to think that someone like Souness was left out for the first two games but at the time it probably seemed like a fair call.

As for Talbot, I don’t think he played CH, he was an attacking midfielder IIRC.

One Day
16-01-2019, 09:37 AM
I watched it last night too. Very enjoyable, realy nice man. Was interesting what Shearer said about the end of his time at Newcastle. To many players earning a lot of money but had no respect for him or the club which he couldn't understand.

JimBHibees
16-01-2019, 04:53 PM
There was a ridiculous amount of talent in 78 and 82. It felt like every top English club had a bunch of Scots. The amount of medals either of those two squads had must have been massive and certainly miles greater than the current squad.

The whittling down for 78 was harsh for some and it is incredible to think that someone like Souness was left out for the first two games but at the time it probably seemed like a fair call.

As for Talbot, I don’t think he played CH, he was an attacking midfielder IIRC.

Definitely a midfielder bit of a workhorse.

Wakeyhibee
17-01-2019, 10:26 AM
Definitely a midfielder bit of a workhorse.

https://youtu.be/zGv4rGUtI0g

My mistake, age I suppose. Do remember watching this goal though in the SF.

SirDavidsNapper
17-01-2019, 11:17 AM
I don't think there's any doubt Bobby Robson is one of the all time great managers. Having watched the program he was also a true gent. Staggering what he did with Ipswich in particular.

CyberSauzee
17-01-2019, 01:56 PM
Robson was so good as a manager that even his translator got the odd job as a head coach.

WeeRussell
17-01-2019, 07:33 PM

A more accurate summary and good post.

PeeJay
23-01-2019, 09:23 AM
Documentary available on Netflix. Fantastic watch. Seems like one of the games greatest guys.

Slaughtered before Italia 90, incredible how the press turned on him.

Britain has produced some incredible giants of world football, for those old enough where does he rank?

Watched this yesterday - it was very moving and thought provoking, he really seems to have been a genuinely decent guy and a great ambassador for the sport of football - interesting to hear him praised so highly by people such as Ferguson, Mourinho, Guardiola, Ronaldo, Linneker and "Gazza" - definitely one of the game's greats!