PDA

View Full Version : McGeouch

BOB MARLEYS DUG
13-01-2019, 11:32 AM
Having a look at the Sunderland fans forum after there game vs Luton yesterday, and clicked onto the McGeouch thread...

“Does the simple things well, that’s it.

Absolute embarrassment as a defensive midfielder how Luton midfielders went passed him at will.

Absolute inability to take a shot no matter how much space he has around the box.

Absolute inability to play a final ball, insists on playing the simple tippy tapping *****.

If we would send him back to ****ing Scotland I’d do it in a shot, he was in the team of the year of something there wasn’t he, surely we could get a swap for someone for him?”

Give him back!!!

Some mixed reviews for those who might be interested to read: https://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/mcgeouch.1458235/

tamig
13-01-2019, 11:36 AM
Having a look at the Sunderland fans forum after there game vs Luton yesterday, and clicked onto the McGeouch thread...

Absolute embarrassment as a defensive midfielder how Luton midfielders went passed him at will.

Absolute inability to take a shot no matter how much space he has around the box.

Absolute inability to play a final ball, insists on playing the simple tippy tapping *****.

If we would send him back to ****ing Scotland I’d do it in a shot, he was in the team of the year of something there wasn’t he, surely we could get a swap for someone for him?”

Give him back!!!

Some mixed reviews for those who might be interested to read: https://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/mcgeouch.1458235/
The comment about the shooting is about the only one consistent with his time here.

Michael
13-01-2019, 11:39 AM
Weird - some say he was MoTM and some say he was "embarrassing".

I'd happily take him off their hands though.

hibsfan7
13-01-2019, 11:42 AM
i would take him back in a minute never forget he is a HIBS LEGEND

SirDavidsNapper
13-01-2019, 11:43 AM
Sunderland love turning good players bad. Send him back no problem

Waxy
13-01-2019, 11:53 AM
With fans like that no wonder they are where they are. Why would a player put his heart into playing for that?

basehibby
13-01-2019, 11:54 AM
A perfect demonstration of how clueless dolts with laptops are not an exclusive feature of Hibs.net but are quite evenly spread among the football following population.

jeffers
13-01-2019, 11:57 AM
I’ve not seen a single minute of his games with Sunderland, but maybe their comments are an accurate reflection of his performances for them.

MWHIBBIES
13-01-2019, 11:59 AM
Same things often said on here. Folk wanted us to bin him after a few injuries. He's absolutely class and was since his first game at Hibs

ScottB
13-01-2019, 12:00 PM
When he was with us, he was alongside McGinn, and, for some of it, Allan. It must be a lot easier to perform well when you’ve got quality beside you, not sure what sort of guys he’s got now, or what system etc but I’m sure it’s entirely possible he may not be doing as well as he did here.

Clearly, he should come home!

southsider
13-01-2019, 12:01 PM
Miss him lots. Classy player

Mibbes Aye
13-01-2019, 12:03 PM

Give him back!!!

Those comments are hilarious but a wee bit reminiscent of posts on here up until May 2016.

McGeouch isn’t a shot-taker.

McGeouch isn’t the one to play the final ball.

McGeouch isn’t a defensive midfielder.

Correct.

The post that does get it right is the one that says he does the simple things well. Except doing the simple things well is one of the hardest jobs.

He showed, he picked up, he dribbled, he passed and ran. Then showed again. Repeat ad infinitum.

Classy, classy player.

Smartie
13-01-2019, 12:19 PM
With fans like that no wonder they are where they are. Why would a player put his heart into playing for that?

They're exactly the same as us and he managed to perform well enough for Hibs.

There were plenty of Hibs fans who didn't "get" Dylan.

For me he was the player who made us tick, but he was helped by having some superb players around him.

At Sunderland I think they have a few midfield plodders - get a dynamic SJM type in there and they'll see more from Dylan.

Players like him who take the ball from the defence under pressure and move it on are often the difference between an ineffectual hoofball side and a football team.

I'd be firmly om the side of those who believe he's a player but it's not really a surprise that he splits opinion.

In the modern "I want it all and I want it now" there is little appreciation of players who do less than score 30 goals a season, even when the unspectacular guys are very often the difference.

flash
13-01-2019, 12:22 PM

You read some of the stuff about our players on here?

Frazerbob
13-01-2019, 12:38 PM
I was speaking to a Sunderland ST holder on Friday who was telling me he’s the worst player he’s seen in years. He was absolutely scathing. By contrast, he was raving about Chris McGuire.

Mantis Toboggan
13-01-2019, 12:40 PM
Based on that Netlix documentary I would take the views of Sunderland fans with a large pinch of salt

lyonhibs
13-01-2019, 12:44 PM

Have you read some of the comments on here about Hibs players? Every club has "fans like that" in their support.

I'd take McGeouch back in a heartbeat FWIW.

Waxy
13-01-2019, 12:47 PM
You read some of the stuff about our players on here?

Yes. I guess as you can have a few below par players, you can have below par fans.

3pm
13-01-2019, 12:54 PM
‘Does the simple things well, that’s it’....they’d maybe still be in the Championship (at worst) if a few of their players over the last few years had done the same thing.

Waxy
13-01-2019, 01:00 PM
Have you read some of the comments on here about Hibs players? Every club has "fans like that" in their support.

I'd take McGeouch back in a heartbeat FWIW.

Yes but it can get to the point when the vast majority of fans turn against the players, manager and the club as a whole.
We witnessed that ourselves as we were relegated a few year ago.

superfurryhibby
13-01-2019, 01:04 PM
Same things often said on here. Folk wanted us to bin him after a few injuries. He's absolutely class and was since his first game at Hibs

There were few doubting his ability, more his commitment. Lennon said as much himself, did he not?

McGeouch had a very good final season, until then he was a source of frustration and people rightly questioned whether he had been a good acquisition based on his long history of injury and the stop- start nature of his Hibs career.

AgentDaleCooper
13-01-2019, 01:05 PM
We miss mcgeouch almost as much as we miss mcginn IMO.

CMac1988
13-01-2019, 01:12 PM
When he was with us, he was alongside McGinn, and, for some of it, Allan. It must be a lot easier to perform well when you’ve got quality beside you, not sure what sort of guys he’s got now, or what system etc but I’m sure it’s entirely possible he may not be doing as well as he did here.

Clearly, he should come home!

This x100. We had a very good balance of players that complimented each other. It's why players like Mallan, Slivka and Hyndman, before he left, aren't exactly bad players, they just don't work well together. Possibly the same for Dylan down there. Haven't really seen him play there but those comments are similar to what was said about him on here. He played in a team where him doing the simple things allowed others to do what they done best.

hibbysam
13-01-2019, 01:16 PM
The defensive side is something he’s always lacked. Numerous times in the championship we lost goals off the back of running in behind Dylan and him not tracking.

Like said previously Dylan is invaluable if you have a SJM and Scott Allan types beside him but it’s easy to see why he’s be less effective in a poor midfield that Sunderland probably have.

Speedy
13-01-2019, 01:17 PM
There were few doubting his ability, more his commitment. Lennon said as much himself, did he not?

McGeouch had a very good final season, until then he was a source of frustration and people rightly questioned whether he had been a good acquisition based on his long history of injury and the stop- start nature of his Hibs career.

Even going back to the first time Allan was here, it was McGeouch who made us tick.

Those who wanted him punted prior to his last year were quite clearly wrong.

blackpoolhibs
13-01-2019, 01:24 PM
Toni Kroos never scores, never creates any goals, but he's been one of the best midfielders in the world.

makaveli1875
13-01-2019, 01:31 PM
Toni Kroos never scores, never creates any goals, but he's been one of the best midfielders in the world.

He's scored 14 for Germany and 37 league goals in 10 seasons in club football

flash
13-01-2019, 01:32 PM

Not even remotely.

Sir David Gray
13-01-2019, 01:37 PM
I'd happily take him off their hands. Class player.

Pretty Boy
13-01-2019, 01:40 PM
His ability to take the ball from the defence and use it smartly is a huge miss for this season. One of those rare players who have the ability to dictate the pace of the game.

We probably miss McGinns drive more but Dylans willingness to show for and take the ball is almost as big a miss. One of those players some fans will never fully appreciate but he's a class act; more fool the Sunderland fans if they can't see it.

blackpoolhibs
13-01-2019, 02:12 PM
He's scored 14 for Germany and 37 league goals in 10 seasons in club football

Under 4 goals a season, probably similar stats to Dylan.

Scouse Hibee
13-01-2019, 02:14 PM
Same type of comments on Henderson at Liverpool from clueless idiots.

NORTHERNHIBBY
13-01-2019, 02:17 PM
Checked the thread through and there is no mention of bedwetters, happy clappers or doom and gloomers. I wouldn't take the site seriously.

Souter96Mac
13-01-2019, 02:22 PM
Surprised that Sunderland fans can't recognise a good player 🙄

Hope they stay down as long as possible.

makaveli1875
13-01-2019, 02:43 PM
Under 4 goals a season, probably similar stats to Dylan.

Dylans lucky if he's scored 4 in his entire career

ekhibee
13-01-2019, 02:51 PM
Maybe McGeouch's another one like Scot Allan, he didn't look anything special for Celtic (although he didn't play many games for them), who knows, maybe it's the same at Sunderland. Good player for Hibs though. When he was at Celtic he did seem a more attacking player than when he was with us, maybe he just found his niche.

blackpoolhibs
13-01-2019, 03:00 PM
Dylans lucky if he's scored 4 in his entire career

Just checked wiki and you are right, what i would say is they are the same type of player, the kind that are invaluable to their team.

They both keep the ball and move it on and receive it in tight spaces while probing looking for small openings.

A quality player.

Mibbes Aye
13-01-2019, 03:05 PM
Maybe McGeouch's another one like Scot Allan, he didn't look anything special for Celtic (although he didn't play many games for them), who knows, maybe it's the same at Sunderland. Good player for Hibs though. When he was at Celtic he did seem a more attacking player than when he was with us, maybe he just found his niche.

I think you have a point, he will be asked to do something different, alongside different teammates, in a different slot from what we asked of him.

If you are lucky as a footballer you find a natural position where you have the players around you who can bring out your best.

Allen had McGeouch and McGinn, but also linked in beautifully with Hanlon and Stevenson. That, combined with the increase in his work rate made him very special.

Mibbes Aye
13-01-2019, 03:09 PM
Just checked wiki and you are right, what i would say is they are the same type of player, the kind that are invaluable to their team.

They both keep the ball and move it on and receive it in tight spaces while probing looking for small openings.

A quality player.

:agree:

Any team with ambition needs that kind of player.

Since90+2
13-01-2019, 03:12 PM
I think you have a point, he will be asked to do something different, alongside different teammates, in a different slot from what we asked of him.

If you are lucky as a footballer you find a natural position where you have the players around you who can bring out your best.

Allen had McGeouch and McGinn, but also linked in beautifully with Hanlon and Stevenson. That, combined with the increase in his work rate made him very special.

McGeough,like Allan, doesn't have the athleticism required to play in England IMO.

That's the one thing McGinn always had over the other 2,he was a better athlete and had the physicality to play at a higher level despite Allan and McGeough arguably being better technically.

Smartie
13-01-2019, 03:23 PM
McGeough,like Allan, doesn't have the athleticism required to play in England IMO.

That's the one thing McGinn always had over the other 2,he was a better athlete and had the physicality to play at a higher level despite Allan and McGeough arguably being better technically.

I think McGeouch does have adequate athleticism to succeed in England. He has a wee burst of pace and a good touch to keep the ball from opposition players, but I think he does need to a McGinn-type beside him and quick players out wide and in front of him to hit with passes.

McGeouch will be lost when he has a plodder in midfield with him.

McGinn's all-round game is very good though, and with athleticism being a big part of the game down there he was always the favourite to go the furthest.

I do find it funny who goes down South and does well and who goes down South and struggles, same with the players you would expect to come up here and do better than they do.

heretoday
13-01-2019, 03:28 PM

Agree :agree:

Walter
13-01-2019, 04:45 PM
I always felt he was almost like a Quarterback picking the ball up and distributing it allowing things to happen

Smartie
13-01-2019, 05:03 PM
I don't remember McGeouch often being outmuscled, over-run or outrun.

Itsnoteasy
13-01-2019, 05:25 PM
Based on that Netlix documentary I would take the views of Sunderland fans with a large pinch of salt

Along with the views of many Hibs supporters.

neil7908
13-01-2019, 05:32 PM
Die hard Sunderland fan I know was pretty much mixed about him. Think like when he first joined us injuries have hampered his progression.

chrisski33
13-01-2019, 06:42 PM
Maybe being at hibs and playing alongside McGinn brought the best out of Dylan

Heckys Wheel
13-01-2019, 06:45 PM
Maybe being at hibs and playing alongside McGinn brought the best out of Dylan

Love Dylan as a player but not sure how well he’d do in this seasons midfield next to Mallan and Hyndman. No doubting McGinn allowed the rest of the midfield to play.

MWHIBBIES
13-01-2019, 06:58 PM
Love Dylan as a player but not sure how well he’d do in this seasons midfield next to Mallan and Hyndman. No doubting McGinn allowed the rest of the midfield to play.Dylan allowed McGinn to play. He took it from the defence and gave it to McGinn and Allan.

Dylan would do very well in this team. He'd make Mallan and Slivka etc better.

berwickhibee
13-01-2019, 07:02 PM

Without doubt. Class act.

Brooster
13-01-2019, 07:12 PM
Without doubt. Class act.

I've been at a couple of Sunderland games this season. The fans haven't really taken to McGeoch at all. I would take him back in a minute.

Sir David Gray
13-01-2019, 07:17 PM
I've been at a couple of Sunderland games this season. The fans haven't really taken to McGeoch at all. I would take him back in a minute.

I was at their home game v Southend a few months ago and he got subbed quite early in the second half. He's not started much recently either.

Brooster
13-01-2019, 07:22 PM
I was at their home game v Southend a few months ago and he got subbed quite early in the second half. He's not started much recently either.

I was at that game too. He sat even deeper than Cattermole that day which is no mean feat. He got subbed as soon as Sunderland went 2-0 up.

WeeRussell
13-01-2019, 07:23 PM
very good player and I’d of course have him back in a Hibs shirt.

However... although the Sunderland poster hasn’t pitched it in the nicest of ways and has gone over the top. His observations aren’t as wide of the mark as reactions on her suggest?

I don’t have many memories of him taking a shot, Splitting a defence, or making a tackle. Does the simple stuff well and helps make a team tick. Does that very, very well. But isn’t that essentially what the mackem boy is saying - albeit putting it like a d1ckhead.

berwickhibee
13-01-2019, 07:55 PM

Ive seen him this season too, just think the mackems need educated😀⚽

basehibby
13-01-2019, 08:41 PM
very good player and I’d of course have him back in a Hibs shirt.

However... although the Sunderland poster hasn’t pitched it in the nicest of ways and has gone over the top. His observations aren’t as wide of the mark as reactions on her suggest?

I don’t have many memories of him taking a shot, Splitting a defence, or making a tackle. Does the simple stuff well and helps make a team tick. Does that very, very well. But isn’t that essentially what the mackem boy is saying - albeit putting it like a d1ckhead.

About the only thing that tallies with my memories of Dylan are the apparent reluctance to shoot. I remember him also being a decent ball winner for his diminutive stature though so the crap about him being rubbish defensively makes no sense at all. Also he can play a good through ball when it's on although he DOES tend towards keeping possession and doesn't take many risks with it.

Dylan's main asset was ball retention - ie keeping possession in tight midfields where the tackles could be flying in thick and fast. This made perfect sense for a team like Hibs who try to build from the back through the midfield - and where the available outballs included talents like McGinn, Allen and Stokes who were also great at receiving the ball to feet in tight situations.

That he's not being appreciated at Sunderland perhaps speaks volumes about the style of football they are trying to play (more direct? just guessing here) and the quality of some of his teammates. It's all very well being able to pass the ball neatly but that's not much use if the player you're passing to has a poor first touch. I am speculating here but the prevailing style in the English lower leagues tends to direct percentage based football utilising big, athletic (but not necessarilly very talented) players in my experience - do Sunderland like to play that way? If so then Dylan's talents are pretty much wasted there.

Lancs Harp
13-01-2019, 08:54 PM
About the only thing that tallies with my memories of Dylan are the apparent reluctance to shoot. I remember him also being a decent ball winner for his diminutive stature though so the crap about him being rubbish defensively makes no sense at all. Also he can play a good through ball when it's on although he DOES tend towards keeping possession and doesn't take many risks with it.

Dylan's main asset was ball retention - ie keeping possession in tight midfields where the tackles could be flying in thick and fast. This made perfect sense for a team like Hibs who try to build from the back through the midfield - and where the available outballs included talents like McGinn, Allen and Stokes who were also great at receiving the ball to feet in tight situations.

That he's not being appreciated at Sunderland perhaps speaks volumes about the style of football they are trying to play (more direct? just guessing here) and the quality of some of his teammates. It's all very well being able to pass the ball neatly but that's not much use if the player you're passing to has a poor first touch. I am speculating here but the prevailing style in the English lower leagues tends to direct percentage based football utilising big, athletic (but not necessarilly very talented) players in my experience - do Sunderland like to play that way? If so then Dylan's talents are pretty much wasted there.Plenty of teams in the English lower league teams try to push the ball about. I'd update your speculation. Hardly anyone uses uses the "big athletic but not necessarily very talented" centre forward these days and havent done for some time. Its more prevalent than in the higher divisions obviouslybut certainly not the status quo.

NAE NOOKIE
13-01-2019, 09:03 PM

That he's not being appreciated at Sunderland perhaps speaks volumes about the style of football they are trying to play (more direct? just guessing here) and the quality of some of his teammates. It's all very well being able to pass the ball neatly but that's not much use if the player you're passing to has a poor first touch. I am speculating here but the prevailing style in the English lower leagues tends to direct percentage based football utilising big, athletic (but not necessarilly very talented) players in my experience - do Sunderland like to play that way? If so then Dylan's talents are pretty much wasted there.

Pretty good summing up. My memory of Dylan is just about the same, he could tackle pretty well, but his main assets were finding space, ball retention and linking the play from a deep position, he could run with it reasonably well too … but they are right about his shooting, he was always reluctant to take a shot on and the few times he did you could see why :greengrin

Neil Lennon did the same sort of job at Celtic in his time there and Scott Brown became exactly the same, nothing dynamite in the way of goals or incisive defence splitting passes, but an ability to just keep the ball moving between defence and the more creative and dynamic players. Perhaps the way Sunderland play they don't suit or need that type of player …. the way Hibs play ( or would at least like to ) a McGeouch would suit us just fine …. a great wee player, I'd have him back in a heartbeat :aok:

frazeHFC
13-01-2019, 09:10 PM
A Sunderland report I read had him as an 8/10 with 'outstanding' as the comment. So surprised to then see those comments.

NAE NOOKIE
13-01-2019, 09:18 PM
i would take him back in a minute never forget he is a HIBS LEGEND

The funny thing is that in the 2016 cup final our much lauded midfield was the least effective bit of the team in an attacking sense, McGinn, McGeouch and Fyvie all played a more spoiling sort of game in front of the defence with all the telling contributions coming from set pieces and our stand out performances, Stokes aside, being in defence.

GreenOnions
14-01-2019, 08:58 PM
The funny thing is that in the 2016 cup final our much lauded midfield was the least effective bit of the team in an attacking sense, McGinn, McGeouch and Fyvie all played a more spoiling sort of game in front of the defence with all the telling contributions coming from set pieces and our stand out performances, Stokes aside, being in defence.

Certainly Logan was pretty much a spectator for most of the game so his defenders must have protected him well. I think new rangers had only 3 attempts on target in 90 mins.

His opposite number in the new rangers goal was very busy though throughout the game. He had to make quite a few really good saves.

LaMotta
14-01-2019, 09:05 PM
One thing the EU Referendum result taught us is that the majority of people in Sunderland aren't the brightest.

jacomo
14-01-2019, 09:54 PM

Then two defenders ended up getting subbed and it was time for Henderson to deliver.

Funny old game! :thumbsup:

bigwheel
02-03-2019, 02:45 PM
Dylan not even on the bench today..might be injured ???

Lago
02-03-2019, 03:18 PM
Dylan not even on the bench today..might be injured ???
Don't see Effe quoted either at Derby.

Callum_62
02-03-2019, 03:33 PM
Don't see Effe quoted either at Derby.

Couldve done with him today [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lago
02-03-2019, 03:39 PM
Couldve done with him today [emoji23]

Yes no doubt he is a big loss!

Callum_62
02-03-2019, 03:40 PM
Yes no doubt he is a big loss!

I meant Derby County

Lago
02-03-2019, 03:44 PM
I meant Derby County

Well yes maybe their needs are greater, certainly getting a doing today & SJM not even playing:greengrin

timewilltell
02-03-2019, 03:54 PM
One thing the EU Referendum result taught us is that the majority of people in Sunderland aren't the brightest.

Says the intellect of..... Dalkeith...! hahahaha

LaMotta
03-03-2019, 09:21 AM
Says the intellect of..... Dalkeith...! hahahaha

The majority of the people of Midlothian voted in a sensible fashion in that referendum.
:wink:

I'm guessing you enjoy gammon though.....hahahahaha

04-03-2019, 03:11 AM
McGeouch not even on the bench for Sunderland on Saturday. Seems he's slipping further and further out of the picture all the time down there. That said, Maguire breaking his leg last midweek may see him retain a spot on the bench at least.

Superfurry72
04-03-2019, 06:00 AM
Certainly Logan was pretty much a spectator for most of the game so his defenders must have protected him well. I think new rangers had only 3 attempts on target in 90 mins.

His opposite number in the new rangers goal was very busy though throughout the game. He had to make quite a few really good saves.

Other than the two goals, I don’t recall them having another shot on target. The only other attempt I can remember from them is the Miller header off the bar.

Springbank
04-03-2019, 06:44 AM
marciano

porteous hanlon NewCentreHalf

boyle mcgeough allan omeonga horgan

kamberi mcnulty

id pay to watch that team tbh

Bob Box Fish
17-03-2019, 07:40 AM
Dylan unused sub again yesterday, he’s had about 6 mins game time in the last half dozen games. Get him back in the summer - omeonga , McGeouch and Alan .... :greengrin

eastcoasthibby
17-03-2019, 08:05 AM
Watched Dylan play a couple of games at Sunderland albeit nit in past 3 months, but what struck me is that they like.to get the ball wide to either full backs or wide players and do it that way and just dont think Dylans ability as a central midfielder is actually shown in there league, its a very different set up and style ! Midfields.arent.as.tight as up here ....if he is up for a move in the summer yes please !! other thing is If they dont get promoted it might well be a new manager in there !! Will mean no Ross not scouting in the same pond as we are ..