PDA

View Full Version : Andy Murray

Frazerbob
11-01-2019, 02:45 AM
Just announced his retirement. Aussie Open looks like his final tournament although he hopes to make Wimbledon his last hoorah.

Absolute legend who’s done Scotland proud and a thoroughly decent chap.

He’s one of our own......

hibbysam
11-01-2019, 04:18 AM
Just announced his retirement. Aussie Open looks like his final tournament although he hopes to make Wimbledon his last hoorah.

Tennis won’t be the same for me beyond Andy Murray, the greatest sportsman Britain has seen in my opinion, and contrary to what people would have you believe, a right down to earth character. Hopefully the Murray’s are allowed to build their vision for tennis in Scotland fairly soon.

FilipinoHibs
11-01-2019, 04:42 AM
Tennis won’t be the same for me beyond Andy Murray, the greatest sportsman Britain has seen in my opinion, and contrary to what people would have you believe, a right down to earth character. Hopefully the Murray’s are allowed to build their vision for tennis in Scotland fairly soon.

Hear hear we will miss you Andy. You turned tennis into Scottish pub viewing and did Scotland proud. And a Hibby to boot.

GGTTH1980
11-01-2019, 05:40 AM

Greatest Scottish sporting legend......proud to call him a fellow hibby. Named my son after him....

LustForLeith
11-01-2019, 06:39 AM
Heartbreaking watching his press conference.

Injury might have cut short his career but it won’t take away the legacy and impact he has had on the country and sport.

Nameless
11-01-2019, 07:10 AM
The only reason I've watched any tennis over the last 10 years has been to see Andy. It's been some journey, and watching him win the US Open is one of my favourite sporting moments. His record at the Oz Open is unbelievable, something like 7 final appearances - maybe this will finally be the year he goes one better.

Sent from my G3311 using Tapatalk

JimBHibees
11-01-2019, 07:15 AM
Scottish sporting legend simple as. Has provided an amazing roller coaster with his monumental games and performances. A glorious talent and fantastic he was able to get over the hurdle and be a multiple major winner plus 2 Olympics and Davis cup. He owes nobody anything as he bared his soul, emotions and fantastic ability for all to see. Well done Andy.

JohnM1875
11-01-2019, 07:19 AM
Actually gutted by this news. But totally the right call. As previously mentioned watching him is the main reason I got into tennis. And watching his slam wins are some of my favourite sporting moments ever. Definitely be missed in the world of tennis.

CallumLaidlaw
11-01-2019, 07:30 AM
The only reason I've watched any tennis over the last 10 years has been to see Andy. It's been some journey, and watching him win the US Open is one of my favourite sporting moments. His record at the Oz Open is unbelievable, something like 7 final appearances - maybe this will finally be the year he goes one better.

Sent from my G3311 using Tapatalk

Unfortunately he’s more likely to lose in the first round to a very good player next week. His movement simply isn’t there any more.

Heartbreaking tho, a much more likeable character than some would give him credit for, a terrific role model in how to live the life of a sportsman, and his performances will live long in the memory. He deserved more slam wins than he had but he almost ticked it all off the list. Wimbledon, Davis Cup, Olympic Champion and of course, my favourite of all, that first slam win at the US Open. What a night that was [emoji172]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jacomo
11-01-2019, 07:31 AM
Scottish sporting legend simple as. Has provided an amazing roller coaster with his monumental games and performances. A glorious talent and fantastic he was able to get over the hurdle and be a multiple major winner plus 2 Olympics and Davis cup. He owes nobody anything as he bared his soul, emotions and fantastic ability for all to see. Well done Andy.

:agree:

His achievements are simply phenomenal.

Sir David Gray
11-01-2019, 07:31 AM
I'm absolutely gutted to wake up to this news even although it was always likely to be on the cards.

Andy Murray will go down in history as one of Scotland's all time greatest sportspeople. What he's achieved is highly unlikely to be surpassed by any other Scottish (or even British) tennis player for a very long time. To win one Major and become the first British man to do so since the 1930s and finally emulate Fred Perry was one thing. To go on and win three Majors (including the Holy Grail of Wimbledon) and Olympic gold was the stuff of dreams.

He is an inspiration to many young athletes and the perfect role model on how to live your life.

Thanks for the memories Andy. If this is the time he says goodbye then it's been a privilege to follow his career over the last 15 years, from seeing him on the courts at Stirling University as a scrawny teenager to watching him on the TV at all the major events and at Buckingham Palace collecting his knighthood from the Queen it's been a journey I've thoroughly enjoyed following.

Good luck to him for the future and I'm sure he'll be a success in anything he chooses to do.

There's only one Andy Murray.

PeeJay
11-01-2019, 07:41 AM
Sad stuff listening to one of Britain's greatest sportsmen announcing that the pain is too much and he may have to retire sooner than he really wanted to. He brought us so many great memories, particularly the Wimbeldon victory in 2013 - Have to wish him all the best. Looks like now is the time for him to step back and put his health and future life first - good luck to him whatever he finally does! Would have been great to see him say farewell at Wimbeldon this year, but seems that may not be possible.

Maybe he will have more time to visit Easter Road now? :greengrin

Northernhibee
11-01-2019, 07:41 AM
Strip away the titles, the achievements, the records, the amazing matches and you still have a fantastic bloke. What an incredible man who still has so much to offer the world. He’s one of our own.

calumhibee1
11-01-2019, 07:46 AM
Gutted for him.

As an aside, why do most news outlets not refer to him as Sir Andy Murray? The EEN has but the Guardian and BBC articles I’ve read don’t.

The Spaceman
11-01-2019, 07:50 AM
Heartbreaking to watch. In my opinion, he is Scotland's most successful sportsman ever (playing wise), as well as the UK's best ever Tennis player. What he has achieved in an era where we also had Federer, Nadal, and Djokovic is absolutely sensational and will have undoubtedly inspired the next generation of Tennis players across the UK.

If he does retire at the Australian Open or Wimbledon, he bows out as a sporting legend and won't ever be forgotten. It sounds like he has got his head screwed on, with his own hotels etc, and no doubt we will see him in a commentating and coaching capacity in the near future, so won't be the last we hear of Andy Murray!

SirDavidsNapper
11-01-2019, 07:54 AM

Hear hear. Remember being on my knees in celebration when he won Wimbledon for the first time. A legendary sporting moment. He really has done Scotland proud.

hibbydog
11-01-2019, 07:55 AM
I'm absolutely gutted to wake up to this news even although it was always likely to be on the cards.

Andy Murray will go down in history as one of Scotland's all time greatest sportspeople. What he's achieved is highly unlikely to be surpassed by any other Scottish (or even British) tennis player for a very long time. To win one Major and become the first British man to do so since the 1930s and finally emulate Fred Perry was one thing. To go on and win three Majors (including the Holy Grail of Wimbledon) and Olympic gold was the stuff of dreams.

He is an inspiration to many young athletes and the perfect role model on how to live your life.

Thanks for the memories Andy. If this is the time he says goodbye then it's been a privilege to follow his career over the last 15 years, from seeing him on the courts at Stirling University as a scrawny teenager to watching him on the TV at all the major events and at Buckingham Palace collecting his knighthood from the Queen it's been a journey I've thoroughly enjoyed following.

Good luck to him for the future and I'm sure he'll be a success in anything he chooses to do.

There's only one Andy Murray.

Well said.

Also worth noting that he was world number one during a period when the greatest ever players (federal Djokovic and nadal) were in their prime.

Incredible achievement. Massively proud of him.

Jones28
11-01-2019, 07:59 AM
Such a shame, but he has been a superstar at the highest level of sport and inspired so many people to get into tennis.

Wonder if we will see him at Easter Road after he retires?

Bristolhibby
11-01-2019, 08:05 AM
Gutted for him.

As an aside, why do most news outlets not refer to him as Sir Andy Murray? The EEN has but the Guardian and BBC articles I’ve read don’t.

Maybe he’s asked not to be. I would be a bit embarrassed TBH.

Fair enough receiving the Honour as the U.K. needs a way to honour its people. But to insist people call me Sir, Na. Not for me.

J

BILLYHIBS
11-01-2019, 08:14 AM
Legend!

I saw grown men cry in the Liberton Inn when he won Wimbledon

:not worth

cleanyman
11-01-2019, 08:16 AM
Farewell Andy

He was finished 18 months ago. Now let's see the younger generation step up.

J-C
11-01-2019, 08:25 AM
Fantastic ambassador to Scottish and British tennis/sport, he looked like he was struggling with hip problems for a couple of years prior to surgery and it is a notoriously difficult area to recover fully from. He's not that old but the gruelling training and tennis circuit has taken it's toll on his body and particularly his style of play. I've definitely watched far more tennis this past 10 years purely because of Murray and he'll be sadly missed but he's left a good legacy and there are a couple of young players pushing near the top of the game, Kyle Edmund being No.1 and last years Aussie open semi finalist.

One Day Soon
11-01-2019, 08:28 AM
Just fantastic moments for Scots and Brits when he won Wimbledon and that London Olympic Gold. Memories I'll always be grateful for.

lyonhibs
11-01-2019, 08:30 AM
Never thought I'd greet over a tennis result, but I was in bits when he won Wimbledon for the first time.

An incredibly hard working inspiring figure, and quite certainly the greatest individual sportsperson the UK has produced in my lifetime, maybe ever.

Such mental strength to come back from 5 (?) GS final defeats in the greatest era that men's singles has ever seen and win 3 Grand Slams.

He could retire tomorrow without picking up a racquet again and be immortal.

stoneyburn hibs
11-01-2019, 08:43 AM
It's going to be sad not to see him play anymore , followed him right from the beginning of his career.
Scotland's greatest ever sportsman leaves a great legacy and I'm sure he'll still do great things after retirement.

Great memories, gutted.

number9dream
11-01-2019, 08:46 AM
Hope the Big Man can make it through to Wimbledon but he'll be in pieces if he does, with the reception he's sure to get. He's going to be an emotional wreck on Monday or Tuesday when he gets on court in Melbourne.
Three Slams, eight other finals, two Olympic golds, a Davis Cup single-handedly, 14 Masters tournaments - all in the toughest era tennis has ever known - absolutely incredible.
Hopefully he can help bring through another Scottish tennis star - as well as mentoring our two lads to great things.
A LEGEND.

Pretty Boy
11-01-2019, 08:55 AM
I remember watching him gas at Wimbledon and lose in 5 sets in my last year at school. He was the next big thing then and he certainly fulfilled that potential. a lifetime later it's sad to see it end in such a heartbreaking way.

I just hope he has the right support around him now because plenty sportsmen have struggled to walk away and live a 'normal' life, particularly in individual sports. A fine ambassador for Dunblane, Scotland and the UK who has done himself proud.

Brightside
11-01-2019, 09:02 AM
The best sportsman the country has ever produced. To compete in what has been the greatest ever period in Tennis is astounding. I’d rather he retired now than go on playing at 50%. Amazing human being.

jacomo
11-01-2019, 09:03 AM
I remember watching him gas at Wimbledon and lose in 5 sets in my last year at school. He was the next big thing then and he certainly fulfilled that potential. a lifetime later it's sad to see it end in such a heartbreaking way.

I just hope he has the right support around him now because plenty sportsmen have struggled to walk away and live a 'normal' life, particularly in individual sports. A fine ambassador for Dunblane, Scotland and the UK who has done himself proud.

Once he had allowed himself some time to rest and recuperate, I’m sure he will be fine.

His agency is already involved with a few players at Hibs and long may it continue.

IGRIGI
11-01-2019, 09:09 AM
Voted yes, supported "Anyone but England" , a true Scot you could get behind while sticking it right up the cringers.

Greenbeard
11-01-2019, 09:19 AM
Much respect and can't disagree with all the accolades already stated, but am I the only one who thinks he let's himself down a bit by his tendency to greet in public, like a bairn whose sweeties have been taken off him. Man up FFS!
Yes he has worked fur Cunard, but he has had a stellar career doing what he loves and is absolutely minted because of it. Life goes on Andy. Be thankful and move on to the next chapter in your life.
Contrast with The Big Yin's recent public appearances.

The_Horde
11-01-2019, 09:29 AM
Much respect and can't disagree with all the accolades already stated, but am I the only one who thinks he let's himself down a bit by his tendency to greet in public, like a bairn whose sweeties have been taken off him. Man up FFS!
Yes he has worked fur Cunard, but he has had a stellar career doing what he loves and is absolutely minted because of it. Life goes on Andy. Be thankful and move on to the next chapter in your life.

Laddie's an emotional being. That's what's endeared him to the public.

It clearly means far more to him than we could ever understand and he probably wouldn't have made it without caring so much.

Shrekko
11-01-2019, 09:33 AM

So he’s not allowed to be emotional? It’s human nature and nothing to do with him not realising how lucky he is, which he certainly does. Anyone would be sad at such a journey coming to an end.

He’s a great guy who does lots of compassionate things but is allowed to have feelings surely? Not any more self indulgent than ‘The Big Yin’ these days so not sure where that comparison comes from!!

Frazerbob
11-01-2019, 09:35 AM

‘Man up’? Deary me. Nothing wrong with showing your emotion. What about the thousands of grown men who had a wee greet at Hampden on 21.05.16?

MWHIBBIES
11-01-2019, 09:38 AM

Yes, you're probably the only one who thinks that. Telling emotional people to "man up" is neanderthal stuff.

Pretty Boy
11-01-2019, 09:39 AM

Is it that uncommon for top sportsmen to cry?

I can obviously recall Murray but off the top of my head I remember Ricky Hatton in tears when he realised his career was over, Chris Hoy crying at the Olympics, Bubba watson at Augusta, Michael Jordan after the Bulls beat the Lakers, Tiger Woods when he won the Open after his Dad died, David Beckham in his last game, Gazza obviously, John Terry after the Moscow final, Roger Federer has broken down multiple times, Matthew Pinsent at the 2004 Olympics........

It's easy to say man up because you have loads of money but you can't just switch off emotion like that. These guys put everything into their sport so when it all falls apart or all comes together it's easy to understand why emotion gets the better of them.

hibsbollah
11-01-2019, 09:42 AM
In my opinion, the greatest Scottish sportsman of all time.

I remember watching him at his first Wimbledon; the commentator remarking that he had a lot of talent but really needs to work on his fitness and physique. He'd been sick going into the final set and lost due to exhaustion.

Fast forward a few years and he's the very definition of pure fitness based on physical dedication. He also speaks very well on serious matters (how many male sportsmen talk about being a feminist??) even if he gets a bit irritable with the inane chat that passes for sporting comment sometimes. And of course, he won. A lot.

And yes, men are allowed to get emotional in public, especially if it's something like forced retirement due to injury. It's the twenty first century.

And that's before we mention hes a Hibby too. It doesn't get much better than Andy Murray.

J-C
11-01-2019, 09:42 AM

So when Lennon is in a dark place and young lads are feeling low, they've to just "Man Up" I'm so glad you're not responsible for trying to talk down jumpers from the North Bridge, "pull yourself together" doesn't cut it nowadays.

Vault Boy
11-01-2019, 09:44 AM
A sad moment, but he must do whatever is necessary for his long-term health and wellbeing. A sporting legend and one of our own.

BILLYHIBS
11-01-2019, 09:44 AM
‘Man up’? Deary me. Nothing wrong with showing your emotion. What about the thousands of grown men who had a wee greet at Hampden on 21.05.16?

Mea culpa!

:boo hoo:

Vault Boy
11-01-2019, 09:50 AM

This attitude is a prominent reason behind men taking their own lives. Being encouraged to bottle up emotions. This is an archaic and toxic belief.

Brightside
11-01-2019, 09:55 AM

Away and boil yer heid! as The Big Yin would say.

One Day Soon
11-01-2019, 10:14 AM
Voted yes, supported "Anyone but England" , a true Scot you could get behind while sticking it right up the cringers.

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/09/18/1411032880501_wps_2_Andy_Murray_of_Great_Brit.jpg

"up the cringers" :faf:

A lovely guy, pretty switched-on personal and public politics, emotionally well balanced and such a strong antidote to the norm of sporting superstar ego narcissism.

He's a pretty rare thing these days - a public figure you can genuinely admire for their integrity, honesty and - despite all the wealth - being in touch with reality.

makaveli1875
11-01-2019, 10:18 AM
He's had an unbelievable career . I guess he is emotional because he got that injury when he was at his absolute peak , no1 in the world and looking good to win another slam or 2 . He stood tall in an era of giants and played in some historic matches ..

11-01-2019, 10:32 AM

Meanwhile, the English Wimbledon drought continues 👍

The Harp
11-01-2019, 10:42 AM
How many of us thought we would ever see a Scot win Wimbledon not just once, but twice? Unbelievable achievement by Andy. Sad to think of him having to retire at an early age but what a career to have had. Magnificent!

Bangkok Hibby
11-01-2019, 10:53 AM

Unfortunately this jokey, throwaway comment has led many English to hate him. For me, far and away the greatest British sportsman ever. A lovely, unassuming guy. Good luck for the future Andy. Thanks for the memories.

Bangkok Hibby
11-01-2019, 10:55 AM

Yes

lyonhibs
11-01-2019, 11:22 AM

Troglodyte stuff there. "Man up" ffs :rolleyes:

PatHead
11-01-2019, 11:32 AM
To me the greatest Scottish sportsman of all time. I have been lucky enough to see him play a couple of times. A real champion and quality tennis player who never gives up. The effort he has put into making himself so physically strong without the aid of drugs is incredible.

As someone else commented he has always stood up for what he believed in based on very high morals. He has no time for drug cheats like Marian Cilic or Elana Sharapova and called them out unlike any other top players. He wanted lifetime bans.

A real inspiration to many including the two Hibs players he mentors. Hope he finds time to come up and do some more mentoring. It could make a massive difference in time.

Thanks for the memories.

B.H.F.C
11-01-2019, 11:41 AM
Shame that he doesn’t get to retire on his own terms.

Only achieved what he did because of the incredible dedication and sacrifice he’s shown.

DaveF
11-01-2019, 12:02 PM
Pretty much inevitable ending but sad all the same.

The night he won the US open was gripping viewing.

Thanks for the memories Andy.

Hibby Gav
11-01-2019, 12:05 PM
In my opinion, the greatest Scottish sportsman of all time.

I remember watching him at his first Wimbledon; the commentator remarking that he had a lot of talent but really needs to work on his fitness and physique. He'd been sick going into the final set and lost due to exhaustion.

Fast forward a few years and he's the very definition of pure fitness based on physical dedication. He also speaks very well on serious matters (how many male sportsmen talk about being a feminist??) even if he gets a bit irritable with the inane chat that passes for sporting comment sometimes. And of course, he won. A lot.

And yes, men are allowed to get emotional in public, especially if it's something like forced retirement due to injury. It's the twenty first century.

And that's before we mention hes a Hibby too. It doesn't get much better than Andy Murray.
:top marks

IGRIGI
11-01-2019, 12:17 PM
https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/09/18/1411032880501_wps_2_Andy_Murray_of_Great_Brit.jpg

"up the cringers" :faf:

A lovely guy, pretty switched-on personal and public politics, emotionally well balanced and such a strong antidote to the norm of sporting superstar ego narcissism.

He's a pretty rare thing these days - a public figure you can genuinely admire for their integrity, honesty and - despite all the wealth - being in touch with reality.

It's too easy 😂, every single time you're hooked within seconds 😂

HibsGW
11-01-2019, 12:23 PM
Troglodyte stuff there. "Man up" ffs :rolleyes:

Almost comes across as satire

One Day Soon
11-01-2019, 12:32 PM
It's too easy 😂, every single time you're hooked within seconds 😂

Massive cringe from Andy there. Every single time you're pumped in seconds. :greengrin

jacomo
11-01-2019, 12:39 PM

Looks like you are the only one, aye.

AM has always worn his heart on his sleeve. He put absolutely everything into his tennis career, made sacrifices most of us couldn’t even contemplate.

Man up?? Purlease.

GloryGlory
11-01-2019, 12:46 PM
Meanwhile, the English Wimbledon drought continues 👍

The Sun, Express, etc will be reduced to going bananas every year over some no-hoper from Tunbridge Wells or somesuch who reaches the second round.

Good luck, Andy. Scotland's greatest ever!

Newry Hibs
11-01-2019, 12:50 PM
BBC website has a pop quiz about him. Not all tennis related!
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/46823617

One Day Soon
11-01-2019, 12:54 PM
The Sun, Express, etc will be reduced to going bananas every year over some no-hoper from Tunbridge Wells or somesuch who reaches the second round.

Good luck, Andy. Scotland's greatest ever!

I feel for Keredine Idessane, the BBC Scotland commentary guy who seemed to manage to spend most of his time travelling around the world on Andy Murray's coat tails reporting on his progress. It's going to be a dull stuck-in-Scotland life for him now.

Callyballybe
11-01-2019, 12:59 PM
Apart from that famous day in May, sitting in Hamiltons watching him win Wimbledon for the first time is probably my favourite Scottish sporting moment. Can remember the whole day clearly. Absolute scenes when Novak hit the net at the end.

Not just one of the best athletes this country has ever produced, but how he has conducted himself over his career should be studied and taken on board by any of our up and coming sports people. Truly one in a million.

Congrats Andy on a stellar career - thank you for the memories.

CMurdoch
11-01-2019, 01:03 PM
I feel for Keredine Idessane, the BBC Scotland commentary guy who seemed to manage to spend most of his time travelling around the world on Andy Murray's coat tails reporting on his progress. It's going to be a dull stuck-in-Scotland life for him now.

What now for Keredine?

stoneyburn hibs
11-01-2019, 01:18 PM
What now for Keredine?

Cameron Norrie

cleanyman
11-01-2019, 01:19 PM
Cameron Norrie

Good to see he's into the Auckland final

Where he grew up

stoneyburn hibs
11-01-2019, 01:26 PM
Good to see he's into the Auckland final

Where he grew up

Born in South Africa, grew up in New Zealand.
100% Scottish 😁

JimBHibees
11-01-2019, 01:28 PM
Born in South Africa, grew up in New Zealand.
100% Scottish 😁

Sounds Scottish.

cleanyman
11-01-2019, 01:29 PM
Sounds Scottish.

He identifies as English. He's already said that to the press

He was mystified when folk started calling him Scottish

Sergio sledge
11-01-2019, 02:45 PM

Is his dad not Scottish?

Mcpakeisgod
11-01-2019, 02:53 PM
Legend!

Was a cracking boozer, shame what happened to it

Juniper Greens
11-01-2019, 02:58 PM

Identifies as British. Corrected John Inverdale when he called him English

Mcpakeisgod
11-01-2019, 03:01 PM
Still remember watching the 2013 final in sunny beach Bulgaria , had a bunch of English boys trying to noise us up during it. Oh how sweet that was

WoreTheGreen
11-01-2019, 03:05 PM
Legend!

My father in law was a regular in there

cleanyman
11-01-2019, 03:41 PM
Identifies as British. Corrected John Inverdale when he called him English

He's not Scottish though is he as some claim?
He was on the tube during the world cup with its a coming home t shirt.
The Scottish link is only through his da'

Doh Rae Me
11-01-2019, 03:43 PM

Has it shut? Used to go there when I stayed at the inch.
Very nice pint too.

murray26
11-01-2019, 03:46 PM
Thank you Andy for the hours and hours of pleasure / pain entertainment and joy I had following your career on the telly.. Scotlands best sportsman of my generation IMO.. happy retirement and maybe chuck a couple of bob into HSL if you would.. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

ScottB
11-01-2019, 03:47 PM
He turned tennis into national pub television in Scotland all by himself.

A sheer force of will to compete in the most difficult era of his sport that saw his body give out before he did, and, an unquestionably decent, stand up guy to boot.

Scotland’s best.

Mcpakeisgod
11-01-2019, 03:56 PM
Has it shut? Used to go there when I stayed at the inch.
Very nice pint too.

Yeh I'm afraid so, long story short the pub got into the wrong hands and lost its licence . Just finished being turned into flats now.

Bostonhibby
11-01-2019, 04:28 PM

Good luck, Andy. Scotland's greatest ever!They've never really got over that guy Tom Henperson who nearly got to a final once.

It'll be a long time before we see a winner like Andy Murray again. Great player and great person.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

hibsfan7
11-01-2019, 04:34 PM
all the best andy

eastterrace
11-01-2019, 04:40 PM
Must be greatest British tennis player ever , also when you watched his games he really put you thru the wringer total rollercoaster. All the best Andy and hope see you down at Easter road sometime soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

weecounty hibby
11-01-2019, 04:49 PM
True Scottish sporting legend, probably Scotland's greatest ever sportsman and one of, if not the, greatest British. Was at the top of his sport when in a period where the three greatest players of all time were also playing. Add to that he seems to be a genuinely nice guy, fairly down to earth, and a Hibby as well. Can't get much better than that

GloryGlory
11-01-2019, 05:04 PM
They've never really got over that guy Tom Henperson who got to a final once.

It'll be a long time before we see a winner like Andy Murray again. Great player and great person.

Timmy never reached a slam final. Greg Rusedski did once reach the US Open final.

Bostonhibby
11-01-2019, 05:10 PM
Timmy never reached a slam final. Greg Rusedski did once reach the US Open final.Fixed it[emoji5]

JimBHibees
11-01-2019, 05:17 PM

So a Springbok Kiwi whose dad is Scottish identifies himself as English, what a mixed up kid he is. :greengrin

Greenbeard
11-01-2019, 05:49 PM
Ok maybe I am the only one who thinks that. For the record, I have no problem with men showing their emotions.
Derek Redmond's Olympic 400m dream coming to a shuddering halt with a hamstring pull down the back straight when he was in the form of his life, getting up to limp round the track to finish what he knew was his last Olympic appearance, and then being helped by his dad who ran from the crowd, now that was justifiable uncontrollable sporting emotion.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2G8KVzTwfw

Clearly we all know AM is highly emotional and he knows it himself, so have your greet away from the cameras man, compose yourself and act like a pro in public. You've had plenty time to do that and come to terms with your career ending before facing the cameras. As a sporting mentor he should be able to show more mental fortitude in front of the cameras.

It's sport. To compare my views on AM greetin' in front of the cameras and suggest I would adopt the same attitude with folk with serious mental health problems or potential bridge jumpers is a tad OTT.

BILLYHIBS
11-01-2019, 06:10 PM
Did not realise he has won BBC SPOTY three times

Most top notch sports people struggle to win it once

Legend!

LustForLeith
11-01-2019, 06:16 PM

Legend!

Slightly off topic but Remember when Justin Fashanu almost won Sports Personailty Of The Year

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/10513352/BBC-Sports-Personality-of-the-Year-2013-an-award-that-reflects-the-times.html

I’m sure it wasn’t just the Gay Times that was backing him but loads of gamblers too. He was 250/1 it wjn

jakedance
11-01-2019, 07:49 PM
Authentic, brave and gives everything he’s got to be the best he can be.

Hi Heid Yin
11-01-2019, 08:04 PM
For me, the greatest Scottish sports person of all time.

I wept when he clinched that Wimbledon in 2013.

This is how much it meant to me as a Scotsman.

I had grown weary and accustomed to our sporting "glorious losers" tag - especially at football (World Cup 74 - undefeated but went out)

Andy Murray on the other hand was a glorious "Winner!"

Sir David Gray
11-01-2019, 09:00 PM

I honestly don't see what's wrong with him showing his emotions at a time when he's announcing to the world that his career is practically over at just 31 years of age.

The reality of it all has probably just hit him during that press conference. Until then it probably hasn't felt real.

He is an emotional guy and I like that about him.

Comparing it to Billy Connolly's situation isn't really fair as it's totally different. He is much older for a start and has had a long time to come to terms with what's happened to him.

Obviously Murray's situation isn't life threatening but his body has let him down and preventing him from carrying on with a career that he loves and achieving more of his goals.

Tricla
11-01-2019, 09:39 PM
Ok maybe I am the only one who thinks that. For the record, I have no problem with men showing their emotions.
Derek Redmond's Olympic 400m dream coming to a shuddering halt with a hamstring pull down the back straight when he was in the form of his life, getting up to limp round the track to finish what he knew was his last Olympic appearance, and then being helped by his dad who ran from the crowd, now that was justifiable uncontrollable sporting emotion.

Clearly we all know AM is highly emotional and he knows it himself, so have your greet away from the cameras man, compose yourself and act like a pro in public. You've had plenty time to do that and come to terms with your career ending before facing the cameras. As a sporting mentor he should be able to show more mental fortitude in front of the cameras.

It's sport. To compare my views on AM greetin' in front of the cameras and suggest I would adopt the same attitude with folk with serious mental health problems or potential bridge jumpers is a tad OTT.

Pish

SRHibs
11-01-2019, 09:42 PM

Clearly he just doesn’t have the same control over his emotions that someone “manly” like yourself does. What an odd thing to nitpick about.

The Harp Awakes
11-01-2019, 09:52 PM

Yup and a Hibby. An idol.

hibbysam
11-01-2019, 10:20 PM
I honestly don't see what's wrong with him showing his emotions at a time when he's announcing to the world that his career is practically over at just 31 years of age.

The reality of it all has probably just hit him during that press conference. Until then it probably hasn't felt real.

He is an emotional guy and I like that about him.

Comparing it to Billy Connolly's situation isn't really fair as it's totally different. He is much older for a start and has had a long time to come to terms with what's happened to him.

Obviously Murray's situation isn't life threatening but his body has let him down and preventing him from carrying on with a career that he loves and achieving more of his goals.

It may not be ‘life threatening’ as such, however a hip injury as severe as this must be can have lasting and prolonged effects on his body later in life, potentially restricting mobility in a major way. Murray’s quality of life could end up being fairly horrendous should he not get the big operation that he is talking about.

I think he’s every right to be emotional, his body has failed him at arguably his best period of success, giving up the one thing he’s only ever known to do, and not knowing quite how much his body will allow him to do in every day life going forward.

The previous poster telling him to ‘man up’ is horrendous, neither wonder their is a stigma around males (especially young males) showing their emotions and speaking out for how they are feeling.

JeMeSouviens
11-01-2019, 10:49 PM
Top player, top bloke, Hibby, greets a bit. What’s not to like?

Sir David Gray
11-01-2019, 10:52 PM
It may not be ‘life threatening’ as such, however a hip injury as severe as this must be can have lasting and prolonged effects on his body later in life, potentially restricting mobility in a major way. Murray’s quality of life could end up being fairly horrendous should he not get the big operation that he is talking about.

I think he’s every right to be emotional, his body has failed him at arguably his best period of success, giving up the one thing he’s only ever known to do, and not knowing quite how much his body will allow him to do in every day life going forward.

The previous poster telling him to ‘man up’ is horrendous, neither wonder their is a stigma around males (especially young males) showing their emotions and speaking out for how they are feeling.

Totally agree.

He has been struggling now for the last 18 months - 2 years. He has only played in 7 events since Wimbledon 2017.

It's clear that he is in a great deal of pain and you are correct to say that he's at risk of having real mobility issues later in life. I think there's a possibility that he'll need a hip replacement at some point in the future but he must think about his long term health.

When he lost to Sam Querrey at Wimbledon 2017 and the extent of his hip injury really came to a head, he was sitting at world number one and would have expected to have gone on to win more Majors and to dominate the sport.

To have had that opportunity taken from him and to have worked so hard over the last 18 months to try and get back to full health but realise that it's all been in vain, it must be hard to take.

I absolutely hate the term "man up" it has terrible connotations and there's absolutely nothing wrong with a man showing his emotions in public and showing that he is upset.

Smartie
11-01-2019, 11:02 PM
Top player, top bloke, Hibby, greets a bit. What’s not to like?

Yep.

Just like me, only better at tennis.

GonzoReturns
11-01-2019, 11:21 PM

‘Man Up’ please explain what you mean by that? Seriously what a pathetic line to use.

Baader
11-01-2019, 11:26 PM
An absolute legend. Still can't believe what he achieved. You'd be laughed at for even suggesting a Scotsman would one day win Wimbledon or any tennis slam. Scotland's greatest sportsman in my opinion.

'Man up' btw is a tragic expression.

McD
11-01-2019, 11:40 PM

He’s entitled to cry if he feels the need, he’s dedicated his life to his craft, even spending long periods away from his wife and daughter in an effort to rehabilitate his injuries.

You’re coming across as very callous and devoid of the emotion you’re criticising him for showing, maybe that’s how you prefer it, manning up I suppose.

as for being a mentor, being able to harness ones emotions can often drive one to greater achievements, something Murray has been able to do, feeding off of his emotions and those of the crowds. I’d say he’s a pretty good example of emotions being a positive performance enhancement.

Beyond that, I’d say today he has shown thousands of men that showing your emotions is not only ok, it’s to be encouraged, except for Neanderthals who think men should ‘man up’.

On a more positive note, Andy has had an amazing affect on Scottish sport, he is certainly one of the most successful Scottish athletes ever, and a role model for every Scottish athlete, child, and probably many more of us. He’s not only been an incredible sportsman, he’s also been a strong and vocal advocate against drug use, and for female tennis in general. The press conference where he called out the journalist for forgetting that female tennis players count too was actually something that gave me more pride in him as a Scotsman, a Hibby, and a classy man.

chrisski33
12-01-2019, 12:03 AM
He’s entitled to cry if he feels the need, he’s dedicated his life to his craft, even spending long periods away from his wife and daughter in an effort to rehabilitate his injuries.

You’re coming across as very callous and devoid of the emotion you’re criticising him for showing, maybe that’s how you prefer it, manning up I suppose.

as for being a mentor, being able to harness ones emotions can often drive one to greater achievements, something Murray has been able to do, feeding off of his emotions and those of the crowds. I’d say he’s a pretty good example of emotions being a positive performance enhancement.

Beyond that, I’d say today he has shown thousands of men that showing your emotions is not only ok, it’s to be encouraged, except for Neanderthals who think men should ‘man up’.

On a more positive note, Andy has had an amazing affect on Scottish sport, he is certainly one of the most successful Scottish athletes ever, and a role model for every Scottish athlete, child, and probably many more of us. He’s not only been an incredible sportsman, he’s also been a strong and vocal advocate against drug use, and for female tennis in general. The press conference where he called out the journalist for forgetting that female tennis players count too was actually something that gave me more pride in him as a Scotsman, a Hibby, and a classy man.

Hear Hear!!

Hi Heid Yin
12-01-2019, 12:24 AM

:top marksI could not have said it better

Bishop Hibee
12-01-2019, 12:35 AM
Legend. His performance in beating Djokovic at Wimbledon 3-0 was as good as any tennis I’ve ever seen. Great guy too. All the best for the future.

SquashedFrogg
12-01-2019, 12:51 AM

Don't even know where to start. Litterally every sentence is an abomination.

NadeAteMyLunch!
12-01-2019, 12:54 AM

Chronic chat. He could have years to come to terms with it but until he’s sat in a press conference admitting on camera that’s it’s all over it won’t have felt real. By your logic you shouldn’t cry at weddings or funerals as you’ve had months to prepare for them and should act ‘like a pro in public’ [emoji849]

SquashedFrogg
12-01-2019, 01:03 AM
Legend. His performance in beating Djokovic at Wimbledon 3-0 was as good as any tennis I’ve ever seen. Great guy too. All the best for the future.

Phenomenal performance.

By far the greatest Scottish sports person ever. By a mile.

Tornadoes70
12-01-2019, 01:40 AM
Phenomenal performance.

By far the greatest Scottish sports person ever. By a mile.

I disagree.

Admittedly Andy winning Wimbledon etc was a great fantastic sporting achievement.

However, a Scot winning the Green Jacket in golf Sandy Lyle was just as unique if not more so.

Sandy Lyle for me but each to their own.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

Greenbeard
12-01-2019, 06:46 AM
Now I know how the Jambos must have felt 1.1.73 - annihilated. That'll be my .net career over then. Ah'm away for a wee greet. In private.

Dashing Bob S
12-01-2019, 07:16 AM
Now I know how the Jambos must have felt 1.1.73 - annihilated. That'll be my .net career over then. Ah'm away for a wee greet. In private.

Hate people sneaking off in private to cry because they haven’t got the nuts to do it in public. Man up FFS!

J-C
12-01-2019, 08:44 AM

I've had both my hips done, my 1st was resurfaced back in 2009, metal cap and metal socket, I suffered a great deal of pain for over a year, regular sleepless nights and limping about like Quasimodo, I was working as a personal trainer at the time and had to give it up to come back to the bloody taxi trade. My right hip went 3 years later and was a full transplant. Andy is a young man to be having arthritic hip problems and it really limits your mobility, the last thing he needs at his age is to have a full hip replacement due to him trying to compete at the top level of his sport, he's more than likely doing more damage than good, I feel for him.

Mon Dieu4
12-01-2019, 09:43 AM
He has had an amazing career and goes out with his head held high, to have won what he has in this era is some feat (nothing will ever convince me that Nadal and Djokovic were not juiced out their eyeballs for the majority of it though)

I love his dry sense of humour and the fact that it's lost on so many, he comes across as a normal bloke who has done wonders with hard work and dedication, I hope he can find happiness in coaching and developing the next crop of superstars

J-C
12-01-2019, 10:37 AM
He has had an amazing career and goes out with his head held high, to have won what he has in this era is some feat (nothing will ever convince me that Nadal and Djokovic were not juiced out their eyeballs for the majority of it though)

I love his dry sense of humour and the fact that it's lost on so many, he comes across as a normal bloke who has done wonders with hard work and dedication, I hope he can find happiness in coaching and developing the next crop of superstars

There were certainly questions about Djorkovic and his sudden rise to world domination with many media sources pointing the finger at him and some of his answers to the press are a bit weird almost accusing the media of a witch hunt instead of wanting the sport cleaned up if there is any wrong doing as Murray wanted.

Smartie
12-01-2019, 10:44 AM
He's very passionate about his sport and his never-say-die ability to battle back from the toughest of positions is about as good as I've ever seen in sport.

He's clearly going to be upset and emotional as he comes to the realisation that his career looks to be ending.

Keith_M
12-01-2019, 10:46 AM
An absolute legend. Still can't believe what he achieved. You'd be laughed at for even suggesting a Scotsman would one day win Wimbledon or any tennis slam. Scotland's greatest sportsman in my opinion.

'Man up' btw is a tragic expression.

How about 'Person Up' then?

:dunno:

Keith_M
12-01-2019, 10:52 AM
I disagree.

Admittedly Andy winning Wimbledon etc was a great fantastic sporting achievement.

However, a Scot winning the Green Jacket in golf Sandy Lyle was just as unique if not more so.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

There are far too many candidates for such an honour.

Jackie Stewart, F1 World Champion 3 times and finished 2nd twice.
Colin McRae, 25 Rally Wins
Billy McNeill, Only Scot to captain a European Cup side.
and of course, the late, great Jocky Wilson.

makaveli1875
12-01-2019, 10:57 AM
I disagree.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

Murrays achievements will live on and be talked about for decades to come . Iv never even heard of Sandy Lyle

DR1875
12-01-2019, 12:26 PM
Simply Hibs Class...

Sir David Gray
12-01-2019, 12:55 PM
Murrays achievements will live on and be talked about for decades to come . Iv never even heard of Sandy Lyle

I would probably delete this post if I was you!

PapillonVert
12-01-2019, 01:28 PM

Legend!

Actually, to be pedantic, he has won it five times!

Won junior SPOTY the year he won the Junior US Open. Also won the team prize with the GB Davis Cup Team.

tamig
12-01-2019, 01:52 PM
Totally agree.

He has been struggling now for the last 18 months - 2 years. He has only played in 7 events since Wimbledon 2017.

It's clear that he is in a great deal of pain and you are correct to say that he's at risk of having real mobility issues later in life. I think there's a possibility that he'll need a hip replacement at some point in the future but he must think about his long term health.

When he lost to Sam Querrey at Wimbledon 2017 and the extent of his hip injury really came to a head, he was sitting at world number one and would have expected to have gone on to win more Majors and to dominate the sport.

To have had that opportunity taken from him and to have worked so hard over the last 18 months to try and get back to full health but realise that it's all been in vain, it must be hard to take.

I absolutely hate the term "man up" it has terrible connotations and there's absolutely nothing wrong with a man showing his emotions in public and showing that he is upset.

The “man up” attitude is a contributing factor to the stigma attached to mental issues which is only now getting the attention it rightly deserves imo. An attitude that has no real place in today’s society. We are sll human - not machines.

AltheHibby
12-01-2019, 01:54 PM
Can't forgive him for nearly killing my dog!

When he won Wimbledon me and Mrs Al both screamed so loudly the pooch nearly had a heart attack. 😁

Seriously, he's a fantastic sportsman and an inspiration to so many.

And if you're reading this, thanks for everything Andy.

Salisbury Hibby
12-01-2019, 01:57 PM
Murrays achievements will live on and be talked about for decades to come . Iv never even heard of Sandy LyleJust imagine someone saying in a couple of decades time, I've never heard of Andy Murray.

It doesn't negate their achievement, it just highlights the lack of knowledge on the part of the person who says it.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Dashing Bob S
12-01-2019, 04:23 PM
Nothing against either contained stoicism or ostentatious show of genuine emotion. People are different and have different coping strategies for stress. The only people worth judging are the professional judges who feel moved to constantly pass judgement on others behavior and believe the rest of the world really gives that much of a toss.

HUTCHYHIBBY
12-01-2019, 05:03 PM
I remember being in the boozer in Skopje after Scotland had lost 1 0 to Macedonia and the Scotland fans singing"We're only here for the tennis" as Andy battled away in the US Open Semi. 😀

HUTCHYHIBBY
12-01-2019, 05:04 PM

All that white dust going about whilst the tennis was on?

hibsfan7
12-01-2019, 06:47 PM
all the best andy you gave me the 2nd best moment in sport only to be beaten by THAT goal on the 21st of may 2016

Sammy7nil
12-01-2019, 07:50 PM

Have u heard of Fred Perry? If u have maybe Andy will be talked about in eighty years :wink:

Andy just an all time great who will be sadly missed. My tennis viewing will / has dropped significantly since his injury.

PapillonVert
13-01-2019, 10:30 AM
Have u heard of Fred Perry? If u have maybe Andy will be talked about in eighty years :wink:

Andy just an all time great who will be sadly missed. My tennis viewing will / has dropped significantly since his injury.

The only consolation I can think of is we won't have to put ourselves through the nail-biting, nerve-shredding, gut-wrenching experience of watching Andy in a GS semi-final or final or in one of his epic five-setters coming back from 2-0 down!

Still, will miss him.

On the brighter side, don't know if anyone noticed, but Jamie and his partner, Bruno Soares, won the Men's Doubles at the Sydney International tournament (beat the No. 1 seeds) and so look to be in decent form for the Aussie Open. They also reached the final of the tournament in Brisbane.

HUTCHYHIBBY
13-01-2019, 10:42 AM
My tennis viewing will / has dropped significantly since his injury.

Me too.

Speedy
13-01-2019, 03:06 PM
Hope the Big Man can make it through to Wimbledon but he'll be in pieces if he does, with the reception he's sure to get. He's going to be an emotional wreck on Monday or Tuesday when he gets on court in Melbourne.
Three Slams, eight other finals, two Olympic golds, a Davis Cup single-handedly, 14 Masters tournaments - all in the toughest era tennis has ever known - absolutely incredible.
Hopefully he can help bring through another Scottish tennis star - as well as mentoring our two lads to great things.
A LEGEND.

As much as Murray contributed to that win, it's very harsh (untrue in fact) to say he won it on his own.

Allant1981
13-01-2019, 03:08 PM
As much as Murray contributed to that win, it's very harsh (untrue in fact) to say he won it on his own.

Did he not play and win almost every match?

eastterrace
13-01-2019, 03:15 PM

Sure he won his two single ties and the pairs with his brother so suppose you could say won it himself. True champion he is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Speedy
13-01-2019, 03:17 PM

Yes but I'm sure one of the early ties was won 3-2 including a singles win from James Ward.

And obviously, Jamie Murray played his part in the doubles.

Cabbage East
13-01-2019, 03:20 PM

So glad I don’t know anyone like you.

Sir David Gray
13-01-2019, 04:16 PM
Yes but I'm sure one of the early ties was won 3-2 including a singles win from James Ward.

And obviously, Jamie Murray played his part in the doubles.

Yeah Ward put GB 2-0 up in the first round match v the USA with a 5 set win over John Isner (he won 15-13 in the fifth set).

That was his last win for GB in the Davis Cup.

heretoday
13-01-2019, 04:31 PM
I don't know who to support now. There's a big hole in my tennis life.

WoreTheGreen
13-01-2019, 04:56 PM

Cliff Richards or mybe not

Scouse Hibee
13-01-2019, 06:12 PM
A sad premature end to a fantastic career, made me proud to be British did our Andy.

Viva_Palmeiras
13-01-2019, 06:44 PM

Thankfully theres still another Murray Hibee carrying on the baton...

Iggy Pope
13-01-2019, 07:21 PM
Cliff Richards or mybe not

He’s a big hole right enough.

cleanyman
13-01-2019, 07:28 PM
A sad premature end to a fantastic career, made me proud to be British did our Andy.

Him singing GSTQ brought a tear to my glass eye

tamig
13-01-2019, 08:05 PM

Whats your point?

McD
13-01-2019, 08:10 PM

Here we go...:bitchy:

Pretty Boy
13-01-2019, 08:19 PM
Can we keep the whole 'yoons' and 'nats' stuff off this thread and this board please. There's an entire thread dedicated to it elsewhere and it's referenced on various other threads there. You can bore each other to death with your point scoring on those.

It's irrelevant to this discussion and, much to some of your disappointment, everything doesn't boil down to who does and doesn't support independence. Deal with it.

Tynie01011973
14-01-2019, 10:23 AM
Two sets down and tiebreak in 3rd set ATM. Murray 2-0

Tynie01011973
14-01-2019, 10:25 AM
Murray 4-1

Tynie01011973
14-01-2019, 10:31 AM
Murray wins tiebreak 7-5 Still down 2-1 in sets

makaveli1875
14-01-2019, 10:34 AM

AO 1st round and it sounds like a Wimbledon final , absolutely packed and going nuts every point Murray wins

Pretty Boy
14-01-2019, 10:35 AM
What an absolute legend. He looks like he can barely walk but sheer willpower is giving him a chance. Crowd are responding to his heart in some style as well.

TrinityHibs
14-01-2019, 10:41 AM

and you know you never come back from 2-1 down to win 2-3:flag:

One Day Soon
14-01-2019, 10:50 AM
5hit, the classic truism that you don't know what you've got until it's gone. Watching him now and gutted for him that his career will finish earlier than it perhaps could have. What a great guy.

green day
14-01-2019, 10:56 AM
I had the same issues as AM before I got my hip resurfacing done 6 years ago - I could barely walk with my boy to the park never mind play top level tennis for 3 hours.

I cant imagine the pain he is going to be in post match - He is a total warrior, absolutely love the guy.

makaveli1875
14-01-2019, 11:00 AM
5hit, the classic truism that you don't know what you've got until it's gone. Watching him now and gutted for him that his career will finish earlier than it perhaps could have. What a great guy.

True , British tennis is in a bad place without Murray . Watched a bit of Edmund getting humped off Berdych , no grit or fight in him whatsoever. Murray is putting up a better fight on 1 leg against a much better player .

Northernhibee
14-01-2019, 11:09 AM
The boy is a warrior. If this ends up his last game then what a eulogy to his career. Most players would have given up by now.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
14-01-2019, 11:12 AM

Hibees here, Hibees there.......!

CentreLine
14-01-2019, 11:24 AM
5-1 and I just had to burst out laughing for no reason. What a guy

One Day Soon
14-01-2019, 11:25 AM
This is a privilege to watch. Talk about never say die.

Pretty Boy
14-01-2019, 11:28 AM
This is unbelievable stuff.

CentreLine
14-01-2019, 11:28 AM
No. Not believing this 😅

makaveli1875
14-01-2019, 11:30 AM
Unbelievable scenes . Thats some comeback if he can win this . Go on Andy

Oscar T Grouch
14-01-2019, 11:32 AM
I am so happy my boss is away skiing, means I can watch this on You Tube, what a player Murray is, I am going to miss this guy when he retires. 'Mon Andy!!!

CentreLine
14-01-2019, 11:32 AM
If he wins it they need to play Sunshine on Leith 😀

B.H.F.C
14-01-2019, 11:35 AM
Really hope he can win this set. It’s absolute classic Murray this.

Tynie01011973
14-01-2019, 11:36 AM
What hip injury! Unbelievable 😁

One Day Soon
14-01-2019, 11:36 AM
This is like watching a gladiator.

makaveli1875
14-01-2019, 11:38 AM
That was vintage Murray defending that point . He's still got it he cant retire yet , c'mon Andy

hfcok
14-01-2019, 11:39 AM
http://www.hibs.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=21573&stc=1&d=1547465921

Scottie
14-01-2019, 11:39 AM
'WHO NEEDS 2 HIPS WHEN YOU HAVE A HEART THE SIZE OF ANDY MURRAY'S' :not worth

Keyser Sauzee
14-01-2019, 11:40 AM
I am so happy my boss is away skiing, means I can watch this on You Tube, what a player Murray is, I am going to miss this guy when he retires. 'Mon Andy!!!

U got a link?? Can’t find it when I’ve looked.

Oscar T Grouch
14-01-2019, 11:43 AM
U got a link?? Can’t find it when I’ve looked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCVLglJiT1w

Northernhibee
14-01-2019, 11:45 AM
Murray loses the break

Keyser Sauzee
14-01-2019, 11:47 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCVLglJiT1w

Cheers

we are hibs
14-01-2019, 11:47 AM
Toiling now

CentreLine
14-01-2019, 11:53 AM
Brave brave effort but coming up short it seems. Now 4-1 down and struggling with the hip

makaveli1875
14-01-2019, 11:53 AM
Cant see him turning this round now . shame he was rocking those last 2 sets

Oscar T Grouch
14-01-2019, 11:55 AM
Cheers

Sorry it seems to have gone back to the first set for some reason. Im back to listening on BBC

Northernhibee
14-01-2019, 11:55 AM
Brave brave effort but coming up short it seems. Now 4-1 down and struggling with the hip
This isn’t about winning or losing now. This is about so much more. So proud of Andy Murray and how he’s one of our own.

One Day Soon
14-01-2019, 12:02 PM
Love this guy.

Northernhibee
14-01-2019, 12:03 PM
21st of May spirit here. Persevere.

Northernhibee
14-01-2019, 12:09 PM
What an astonishing performance. What a career. If this is the end there is no more fitting way to say goodbye to the court.

Curried
14-01-2019, 12:12 PM
Sorry it wasn't to be Andy, but loved the bloke with the Hibs top, Jimmy Hat and Scotland flag shown just before the last game.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
14-01-2019, 12:16 PM
6 - 2 , a poignant way to end it ! :greengrin

The 90+2
14-01-2019, 12:18 PM
How emotional was that? What a legend. :agree:

heretoday
14-01-2019, 12:18 PM
They're really milking it on the Aussie TV! He might play again at Wimbledon but it's going to take some effort.

makaveli1875
14-01-2019, 12:23 PM
They're really milking it on the Aussie TV! He might play again at Wimbledon but it's going to take some effort.

I wouldnt be surprised at all to see him at Queens and Wimbledon . He never mentioned anything about it being his last match when he was interviewed .

Sir David Gray
14-01-2019, 12:23 PM
Only caught some of it live as I'm at work but that match, in a nutshell, sums up why Andy Murray is a legend.

He may have lost the match but given the circumstances, it was an incredible effort.

Take a bow Andy. If that's to be the last match of your career then it sums up the way you played the sport.

Unbelievable competitor.

14-01-2019, 12:25 PM
I think he believes it isn't yet over. I think he'd have been a lot more emotional afterwards if he really thought that was his last match.

hibby6270
14-01-2019, 12:47 PM
Valiant effort. He can’t possibly retire now. Even at 50% fitness, he showed he’s still got it.
Have the second op and come back in 12-18 months.:agree::thumbsup::wink::greengrin:not worth

B.H.F.C
14-01-2019, 12:49 PM
I think he believes it isn't yet over. I think he'd have been a lot more emotional afterwards if he really thought that was his last match.

Yeah I thought that as well.

I think we’ll see him at Wimbledon now.

Agree with what one of the commentators said afterwards as well, that it was lack of match practice as opposed to the dodgy hip that caught him in that fifth set.

Keyser Sauzee
14-01-2019, 01:01 PM
Valiant effort. He can’t possibly retire now. Even at 50% fitness, he showed he’s still got it.
Have the second op and come back in 12-18 months.:agree::thumbsup::wink::greengrin:not worth

I was surprised to hear how he spoke about another possible operation, quite a U turn from how he was talking a few days ago.

What a guy, Britain’s greatest sports man, how mush mental strength does the guy have.

CMac1988
14-01-2019, 01:37 PM
I was surprised to hear how he spoke about another possible operation, quite a U turn from how he was talking a few days ago.

What a guy, Britain’s greatest sports man, how mush mental strength does the guy have.

I'm sure it was mentioned a few days back too but got lost in the media frenzy. He said that it was possible to have another operation to smooth out the hip bone or something to that effect. Could reduce the pain, make things worse or leave him almost pain free but no longer able to play tennis. Sounded like a last resort and was something he hadn't yet decided upon doing.

Mick O'Rourke
14-01-2019, 02:42 PM
When i read of footballers/managers moaning about playing too many games in a certain period.
I alway think of athletes like Andy Murray.
Andy will have spent more energy this morning than most footballers do in a month of Sundays.
Andy Murray is the finest (and probably fittest) sportsman from these shores that i have witnessed in my lifetime.
Remarkable career. Against many odds.

I salute a Champion.

JeMeSouviens
14-01-2019, 02:49 PM

Me too. If has another operation between now and Wimbers, there's no way he'll be able to play at Wimbers. :confused:

Sounds like he's not given up on a longer term comeback.

southsider
14-01-2019, 03:03 PM
The way I read it a 2nd op would allow him to play 5vs & Golf with his mates, be able to run around with his kids but not allow pro tennis. Just my take on things.

The 90+2
14-01-2019, 03:07 PM
The way I read it a 2nd op would allow him to play 5vs & Golf with his mates, be able to run around with his kids but not allow pro tennis. Just my take on things.

Yeah, that's what I read into it too. The second op' wouldn't primarily be to get back playing tennis at an elite level.

HibbyAndy
14-01-2019, 03:17 PM

An unbelievable will to win

Britain's greatest ever Sportsman

Heckys Wheel
14-01-2019, 04:02 PM

Got the impression it was the Adrenalin talking. Must’ve been buzzing after winning those two sets.

green day
14-01-2019, 05:35 PM

Correct, in a nutshell.

He needs either a hip replacement or (as he is fairly young) most likely a hip resurfacing (BHR) at some point in the near future.

These operations are identical, the only difference is that the BHR is a smaller implant and hence he will retain more bone at the top of his leg.

BHR are usually recommended for more active and younger people, but dont suit everyone.

I got it done 6 years ago, and it is great - however there is zero chance he will play pro tennis afterward.

The only question is if he gets if before Wimbledon or after - If I was a betting man, I would say he will wait and play a match at Wimbledon because a few months more wont gub his already screwed hip joint any more. Of course, only he knows how much pain hes in.

heretoday
14-01-2019, 06:39 PM
He should just retire now. What's the point of going on? He'll never hit the same level again.

I'm worried about him.......

Brunswickbill
14-01-2019, 08:00 PM

Hibees here, Hibees there.......!

Another view of our Hibby friends supporting Andy Murray today.:not worth

The 90+2
14-01-2019, 08:24 PM
He should just retire now. What's the point of going on? He'll never hit the same level again.

I'm worried about him.......

He will retire after today, Wimbledon won’t happen. He will bow out in an epic match rather than horsed off someone plus Jamie never goes to his matches. A fitting way to bow out this morning, although in usual typical Scottish fashion, just when you thought the impossible was achievable....apart from the US and Wimbledon and the Olympics.

Tennis talk seriously, Andy always had an amazing Australian yet never won it. Was it 3 finals 2 semis? The same guys with the jimmy hats shouting let’s go Andy let’s go about 12 years ago now adults 👍😂. What a ride it’s been watching him - except in the French.

18Craig75
14-01-2019, 08:46 PM
5 Australian finals!! Was lucky enough to be there for his run to one of them, 2011 or 2012.

What a hero and a true inspiration. Hopefully see him at Easter Road more in his retirement. I wonder if his kids are Hibs Kids...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Pointer
14-01-2019, 09:13 PM
I'm sure it was mentioned a few days back too but got lost in the media frenzy. He said that it was possible to have another operation to smooth out the hip bone or something to that effect. Could reduce the pain, make things worse or leave him almost pain free but no longer able to play tennis. Sounded like a last resort and was something he hadn't yet decided upon doing.

The op can be a great success as I can testify. Just back from the gym doing 115kg leg presses. Ruined my tennis though!

Seriously, it would rid him of pain and improve his lifestyle but as for getting back to top grade tennis, I'm not so sure. With his guts then maybe, he's still a young man.

Greenio
14-01-2019, 11:02 PM
I was in Melbourne Arena for the match last night. Absolutely amazing atmosphere and a truly fitting send off for a total legend - if it turns out to be so.

So much support and emotion in the place - support not just for the match, but for the man himself.

Saw a couple of Hibs tops dotted about the place, which is always nice to see so far from home.

Got a selfie with Judy at the end too!

Wonder if he'll push on to Wimbledon?

Sammy7nil
14-01-2019, 11:08 PM
I was in Melbourne Arena for the match last night. Absolutely amazing atmosphere and a truly fitting send off for a total legend - if it turns out to be so.

So much support and emotion in the place - support not just for the match, but for the man himself.

Saw a couple of Hibs tops dotted about the place, which is always nice to see so far from home.

Good stuff it looked like a great occasion I hope he retires. He was walking like a duck at some points when he looked in pain.

Sir David Gray
14-01-2019, 11:16 PM

I'm extremely jealous.

It would have been incredible to have been there.

The Baldmans Comb
14-01-2019, 11:56 PM
Hopefully Andy Murray can make it through to Wimbledon and make it through a round or two before the inevitable and he can then take the very justified acclamation from the knowledgeable English crowd and the smattering of Scottish people present.

Truly a wonderful sportsman who wears his heart on his sleeve but who should now very seriously think of his family and the next 50 years of his life

WeeRussell
15-01-2019, 12:15 AM
Thought Bautista Agut was both professional and respectable and paid a nice tribute to Andy even when the first question was designed to deflect from the occasion.

Nice moment and the tributes from other players are what got me most.

Hopefully see the big fellae on court again.

hibsbollah
15-01-2019, 07:22 AM
His match and the context around it was the lead story in France's 'l'équipe' yesterday, a higher billing than the Gael Montfils match, which shows what a widely respected worldwide figure he is.

JeMeSouviens
16-01-2019, 03:57 PM
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/jan/16/andy-murray-career-could-be-saved-metal-hip-implant-bob-bryan-australian-open-tennis

J-C
16-01-2019, 04:41 PM
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/jan/16/andy-murray-career-could-be-saved-metal-hip-implant-bob-bryan-australian-open-tennis

It's called a hip resurfacing, I had my left hip done this way in 2009, many sportsmen have it done as long as the head of the femur isn't too badly damaged. The head of the femur is routed into a cylindrical shape and a cobalt alloy cap pinned into the bone, the hip socket is then cleaned up and again cobalt alloy cup placed in the socket. It gives greater movement when it heals and it's known generally as a sports hip, whether you can get back to Murray's levels I don't know but Pat Nevin has had both his hips done this way and he still does hill running down in the Borders where he lives.

https://orthoinfo.aaos.org/en/treatment/hip-resurfacing/

Sir David Gray
16-01-2019, 07:55 PM

It's called a hip resurfacing, I had my left hip done this way in 2009, many sportsmen have it done as long as the head of the femur isn't too badly damaged. The head of the femur is routed into a cylindrical shape and a cobalt alloy cap pinned into the bone, the hip socket is then cleaned up and again cobalt alloy cup placed in the socket. It gives greater movement when it heals and it's known generally as a sports hip, whether you can get back to Murray's levels I don't know but Pat Nevin has had both his hips done this way and he still does hill running down in the Borders where he lives.

https://orthoinfo.aaos.org/en/treatment/hip-resurfacing/

If anyone can make this work then it's Andy Murray. His determination and drive to overcome adversity is pretty much second to none.

If he does need to retire, it won't be through a lack of trying and you can be sure it will be his last possible option.