PDA

View Full Version : Weekend breaks

HibbyAndy
10-01-2019, 04:04 PM
Looking to take the mrs away Friday 1st March and come back Sunday 3rd March , Anyone got any good advice where to go ? Wouldn't mind somewhere down South like Liverpool or Yorkshire or maybe even Newcastle , To be fair somewhere that's not a million miles away as it's only a short 2 day stay , Also accommodation that are decent prices , Pretty sure a travel lodge or a holiday inn would also be 10 times cheaper than a B&B ,

I'd be travelling by train i must add as well , Just somewhere me and the mrs can have a nice quiet chilled time with a little scenery and good food along the way

MSK
10-01-2019, 04:22 PM
Looking to take the mrs away Friday 1st March and come back Sunday 3rd March , Anyone got any good advice where to go ? Wouldn't mind somewhere down South like Liverpool or Yorkshire or maybe even Newcastle , To be fair somewhere that's not a million miles away as it's only a short 2 day stay , Also accommodation that are decent prices , Pretty sure a travel lodge or a holiday inn would also be 10 times cheaper than a B&B ,

I'd be travelling by train i must add as well , Just somewhere me and the mrs can have a nice quiet chilled time with a little scenery and good food along the wayHavent been myself mate but Wife fancies York for a wee break, meant to be really nice 👍

JeMeSouviens
10-01-2019, 04:23 PM

I'd be travelling by train i must add as well , Just somewhere me and the mrs can have a nice quiet chilled time with a little scenery and good food along the way

York's pretty nice but not particularly cheap.
Northumberland is lovely, great beaches, plenty of nice eats etc. Not sure what it would be like without a car. You could have a look at Alnmouth which is (almost) on the train line.

HibbyAndy
10-01-2019, 04:36 PM
Trains to any part of England are very pricey !

danhibees1875
10-01-2019, 04:42 PM

North Berwick it is then. :greengrin

Newcastle, Manchester, and Liverpool are all fairly good options that don't take long to get to. Nice enough cities for things to do, big enough to have plenty eateries and a variety of cheap hotels.

Moulin Yarns
10-01-2019, 04:48 PM
Just back from Liverpool for a new year break, lovely city, lots to see and do or just chill. Pleasantly surprised that I stayed at the same hotel as Leicester City before they played Everton and the England Rugby Union squad. Not cheap but not much more than Premier Inn.

Titanic hotel.

beensaidbefore
10-01-2019, 05:10 PM

Went to St Andrews for the weekend in late Nov. Weather wasn't great but nice wee place and plenty places to eat and drink.

JeMeSouviens
10-01-2019, 05:25 PM

If you have any tesco clubcard vouchers you can exchange them for credit x 3 at redspottedhanky.com

http://www.redspottedhanky.com/about-us/affiliates/tesco-clubcard/

Hibbyradge
10-01-2019, 05:29 PM
Two together Railcard is the way to go. It costs £30 but you'll get that back in one trip.

If anyone decides to go to York, let me know and I'll recommended some of my favourite eateries.

And, if you bring your golf sticks ... 😁

HibbyAndy
10-01-2019, 05:56 PM
Two together Railcard is the way to go. It costs £30 but you'll get that back in one trip.

If anyone decides to go to York, let me know and I'll recommended some of my favourite eateries.

Nice one Radge cheers :thumbsup:

Also thanks for all the helpful replies :agree:

Scouse Hibee
10-01-2019, 07:12 PM

Plenty to do in Liverpool mate and trains not too expensive if you look now and are flexible about when you travel on the Friday.

BroxburnHibee
10-01-2019, 07:16 PM
Recommend York and Liverpool :agree:

hibs#1
10-01-2019, 08:04 PM
We went to Belfast a couple of years ago. We flew so wasn't much traveling it was also pretty cheap on top of that it was a really cool and interesting place.

Scouse Hibee
10-01-2019, 08:12 PM
We went to Belfast a couple of years ago. We flew so wasn't much traveling it was also pretty cheap on top of that it was a really cool and interesting place.

Agreed, we done Belfast too, loved it and will return.

Pretty Boy
11-01-2019, 06:39 AM
York is lovely but it's not particularly cheap for accomodation. Loads of pubs and it's small enough that most things are walkable.

Staying in Yorkshire but something a bit different I'd recommend Beverley. I discovered it through a day at their racecourse and it's a very pretty little market town. Quiet but a few things of interest to see and more than a few decent pubs and restaurants. Nellies is like a step back in time with traditional gas lighting still in use. The Saturday market is great for a browse as well.

HUTCHYHIBBY
11-01-2019, 08:46 AM
York as mentioned.

Go to Carlisle, for an "interesting" experience spend the night on Botchergate. 🍺

I've done a few day trips to Darlington recently but, never stayed overnight. It's probably more suited to a lads trip than a romantic w -end away though.

JeMeSouviens
11-01-2019, 08:58 AM
York is lovely but it's not particularly cheap for accomodation. Loads of pubs and it's small enough that most things are walkable.

Staying in Yorkshire but something a bit different I'd recommend Beverley. I discovered it through a day at their racecourse and it's a very pretty little market town. Quiet but a few things of interest to see and more than a few decent pubs and restaurants. Nellies is like a step back in time with traditional gas lighting still in use. The Saturday market is great for a browse as well.

:agree: Ripon's like that as well.

Hibbyradge
11-01-2019, 09:34 AM
There's a myriad of B&Bs in York, but because it's such a beautiful city, you have to pay a premium to stay overnight.

Try the Travelodges too. They're usually available for around £80 a night at weekends.

I think it's worth paying a bit more in York. It really is lovely and it's so easy to get to from Edinburgh.

HUTCHYHIBBY
11-01-2019, 09:40 AM
Travelodge Sale ends tonight. (https://www.travelodge.co.uk/?WT.tsrc=Affiliates&awc=1586_1547203027_78403520c5ba32d842984a8f6356b1 fc&utm_medium=affiliates&utm_source=67035)

Lemonade
11-01-2019, 11:07 AM
Have a look at Hazelwood Castle in Tadcaster.
Stunning building with large grounds and 800 years of history . It’s a great place to take the wife.

Sylar
11-01-2019, 01:24 PM

I second this advice.

We bought one last year and have done 3 trips to London with it since. It really reduces the cost of travelling!

Hibbyradge
12-01-2019, 05:46 PM
If you do decide to go to York, let me know and I'll point you in the direction of not only excellent restaurants, I'll let you know where to find pubs where you can still get a pint for £2. 👍

DH1875
12-01-2019, 06:04 PM
Can fly Easyjet return to Belfast or Bristol for under £50 return (each) on those dates.

HUTCHYHIBBY
12-01-2019, 06:06 PM
When I checked yesterday it was £45return to Charleoi 1-4 Feb

Jones28
12-01-2019, 08:59 PM
Berwickshire 👍🏻

Future17
12-01-2019, 09:57 PM
Have a look at Hazelwood Castle in Tadcaster.
Stunning building with large grounds and 800 years of history . It’s a great place to take the wife.

Is she free next weekend? ;-)

Hibbyradge
12-01-2019, 10:11 PM
Is she free next weekend? ;-)

:faf:

stantonhibby
13-01-2019, 08:44 AM
If you do decide to go to York, let me know and I'll point you in the direction of not only excellent restaurants, I'll let you know where to find pubs where you can still get a pint for £2. 👍

A few of us heading to York in June for a couple of nights for the races.....any restaurant recommendations would be welcome!

Hibee87
13-01-2019, 09:35 AM

I'm not sure if it's still there or open, but there was a pub that pints were not too expensive right on the river. Literally at the bottom of the bridge opposite side from the O'Neill's....think it was a decent price but also pub was prone to flooding IIRC so not sure if it still open?

To the OP I fully recommend York, also wasbit England nyou were looking? Going up north Aviemore is great, and if you like your whisky I fully recommend the Tomatin tour which is not too far away. Inverness is another option

nellio
13-01-2019, 09:52 AM
I recently took my wife away for her birthday. Managed to get a return flight to Milan cheaper than the return train to York!

Look at Europe it won't cost too much more.

pollution
13-01-2019, 05:25 PM
My wife suggested that we went away to somewhere she hadn't been before so i suggested the kitchen.

Rocky
13-01-2019, 06:15 PM
Durham is worth considering if you're going by train, I really liked it there. It's worth checking first class prices too as if you're travelling at the right times you can get them for not much more than standard.

If you're considering Liverpool it might be worth checking flight prices as I've seen some really cheap flights to Liverpool.

Allant1981
13-01-2019, 06:28 PM
We are off to Oban again next month, always go at the start of the year and the end, not really much to do but the wife loves the place, been going there for the last 7 years now

Time For Heroes
14-01-2019, 04:28 PM
£36 get you to Dublin on these dates mentioned, flying mid afternoon Friday and Sunday.
Try Sky scanner, you can put your desired destination as anywhere and it will give you a list of places based on price

HibbyAndy
14-01-2019, 05:48 PM
Fantastic guys for all the suggestions its very much appreciated ! :aok:

.Sean.
14-01-2019, 08:07 PM
Newcastle is cheap as chips on the train and never disappoints. Only an hour or so too. Me and the missus go down every few months.

Further afield Budapest was lovely for a couples break and very reasonable.

We’re going to Barony Castle in Peebles in Friday, anyone been?

beensaidbefore
15-01-2019, 04:36 PM

Just been on easyjet, and you can get flights to Amsterdam for as cheap as a train to York. Takes an hour and half to get there and an hour at the other end to get the train in etc.

beensaidbefore
15-01-2019, 04:37 PM
Newcastle is cheap as chips on the train and never disappoints. Only an hour or so too. Me and the missus go down every few months.

Further afield Budapest was lovely for a couples break and very reasonable.

We’re going to Barony Castle in Peebles in Friday, anyone been?

Bgrother got married there mate nice hotel. Check out the map of Scotland. Was still being refurbished when we were there but apparently is all finished now. You can take the car about 5 miles further to the meldons for a nice walk.

HUTCHYHIBBY
15-01-2019, 04:40 PM
Just been on easyjet, and you can get flights to Amsterdam for as cheap as a train to York. Takes an hour and half to get there and an hour at the other end to get the train in etc.

York isnae cheap but, The Dam steps it up a level.

beensaidbefore
15-01-2019, 04:41 PM
York isnae cheap but, The Dam steps it up a level.

Lovely place though eh? Desperate to get back and just had hols authorised at work...

LancashireHibby
15-01-2019, 04:55 PM
Can fly Easyjet return to Belfast or Bristol for under £50 return (each) on those dates.
Spent the weekend just gone in Bristol. Albeit it revolved around going to the Bolton game at Bristol City, but it was a really nice place all in all. Some cracking boozers by the river. Friendly people, tons of restaurants and really nice pubs. Ended up staying out until daft o’clock and didn’t see an ounce of bother.

HUTCHYHIBBY
15-01-2019, 06:55 PM
Lovely place though eh? Desperate to get back and just had hols authorised at work...

I'm not a hash man so, it's not really my cup of tea, unless you're talking about York! 👍

danhibees1875
16-01-2019, 02:37 PM
I'm not a hash man so, it's not really my cup of tea, unless you're talking about York! 👍

You don't need drugs to enjoy Amsterdam, just to enhance it.

Moulin Yarns
16-01-2019, 02:42 PM
You don't need drugs to enjoy Amsterdam, just to enhance it.

So long as you stick to 'window' shopping and not sampling the goods :wink:

calumhibee1
16-01-2019, 02:55 PM

An hour from the airport into the centre of Amsterdam is being extremely generous. It’s probably around 20 mins.

Amsterdams a great city and that’s coming from someone who’s never even smoked a cigarette never mind a joint.

beensaidbefore
16-01-2019, 04:40 PM

Some amazing things to see other than the 'main attractions'. I was there with the Mrs last year and she loved it. Rijksmuseum, van gough, Stedelijk, Albert Cuyp markets are just a few non sex/drugs related attractions. Brilliant shopping too. It's a small city too with everything in walking distance.

beensaidbefore
16-01-2019, 04:43 PM
An hour from the airport into the centre of Amsterdam is being extremely generous. It’s probably around 20 mins.

Amsterdams a great city and that’s coming from someone who’s never even smoked a cigarette never mind a joint.

True. By the time you get your bags, ticket for the train etc it's prob an hour from getting off the plane to arriving in Central. Quicker than getting into central Edinburgh from the airport I would say.

HibbyDave
17-01-2019, 11:22 AM
Krakow.
Very cheap hotels food etc and a fantastic city with everything easy to see.

Antifa Hibs
17-01-2019, 11:48 AM
I'm heading to (Free)Derry for a weekend away. Been before years ago for a day. Ryanair started flying their - got it for just under £50 return.

HibbyAndy
02-02-2019, 07:30 AM
Flights to Amsterdam round about £145

Dublin is £41

Decent enough prices but it's the accommodation side to things ! Hotels in Dublin are varying from £200 for 2 night stay

Allant1981
02-02-2019, 11:15 AM
Thinking of heading to Paris in Sept for my wedding anniversary is Charles de Gaulle airport near the city centre as transfers seem to be really expensive

pollution
02-02-2019, 11:33 AM
Thinking of heading to Paris in Sept for my wedding anniversary is Charles de Gaulle airport near the city centre as transfers seem to be really expensive

Not that close. Last time we went we took a bus to the terminal in central Paris and then a taxi.

That was a few years ago; sorry I can't be more recent.

Allant1981
02-02-2019, 12:15 PM
Not that close. Last time we went we took a bus to the terminal in central Paris and then a taxi.

That was a few years ago; sorry I can't be more recent.

I'll have a look at that option, some companies wanting €70 to transfer us into the city centre

Saturday Boy
02-02-2019, 09:04 PM

Best option from CDG to Paris is the train. TGV to Gare de Nord and you’re straight into the metro and RER network.

Much quicker and a lot cheaper than a taxi .

Del Boy
03-02-2019, 02:31 PM
Cheap flights to Berlin with easyJet from Edinburgh
Good for a 2/3 day break

staunchhibby
03-02-2019, 03:03 PM
Have a look at Hoppa for transfers.Just booked them for September.

Billy Whizz
03-02-2019, 03:57 PM
Have a look at Hoppa for transfers.Just booked them for September.

Used them in Fuerteventura last year, was easy to do and good service

Captain Trips
09-02-2019, 11:31 PM
Anyone been to Harrogate? Staying there for 2 nights on way back up here. Looked alright from what bars and restaurants I can see online.

speedy_gonzales
10-02-2019, 11:09 AM
Anyone been to Harrogate? Staying there for 2 nights on way back up here. Looked alright from what bars and restaurants I can see online.
I was there years ago. Nice enough wee place to walk around, the restored Turkish baths are a must visit.