PDA

View Full Version : 3 Years Ago Today

SouthMoroccoStu
09-01-2019, 05:36 PM
Our epic and legendary Scottish Cup winning run began

Raith Rovers 0 - 2 Hibernian

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uR8lXziQNxM

And I think I'm correct in saying we were the 4th team in a row to knock Raith out of the cup to go on and win the trophy

Mick O'Rourke
09-01-2019, 05:52 PM

And I think I'm correct in saying we were the 4th team in a row to knock Raith out of the cup to go on and win the trophy

" They will be dancing in the streets of Raith" !!! said the commentator when Rovers won the League Cup.in '95.

I was studying at Telford College when Rovers won the League Cup, beating Celtic in the final.
Two guys on one of my courses were Rovers fans from the Kingdom.

The were walking on air for weeks!

Always cheers me when "wee" teams win trophies,against the odds.

Just like May '16 :greengrin

danhibees1875
09-01-2019, 06:06 PM

McGregor scored Hibs 1000th Scottish cup goal that night I believe.

It was a very good record Raith had, something like 4 in a row and maybe 5 out of 6 years. The next year they were put out by hearts though and their run ended.

BILLYHIBS
09-01-2019, 06:18 PM
Anyone know if King Dom got a medal?

Serious question

Oohh Malonga!

Archie70
09-01-2019, 06:18 PM
How many of us said... this might be our year" but never actually believed it!

BILLYHIBS
09-01-2019, 06:27 PM

Ehhh!

Had been saying it every year for the sixty years before 2016

And a lot more that went before us

Spirits in the Sky

Keith_M
09-01-2019, 06:47 PM
Ah, 2016! The year we finally managed to equal the number of major trophies won by Queens Park

:duck:

:greengrin

we are hibs
09-01-2019, 06:52 PM
Wonder who the 5th team to knock Raith out in a row were and if they went on to win the cup too?

Hibbyradge
09-01-2019, 07:02 PM
Wonder who the 5th team to knock Raith out in a row were and if they went on to win the cup too?

I suspect that you already know the answers to those questions.

Pretty Boy
09-01-2019, 07:06 PM
We were pretty brutal in the 1st half, efficient in the 2nd. A certain Chris Dagnall put in a decent shift considering he had a pretty thankless task up top.

If you'd have asked me on the road back to Edinburgh that night if I'd just seen the cup winners I'd have answered with a resounding no.

Future17
09-01-2019, 07:18 PM
"They will be dancing in the streets of Raith" !!! said the commentator when Rovers won the League Cup.in '95.

This gets quoted often as a mistake, but Raith is an area of Kirkcaldy. Not too dissimilar from saying "they'll be dancing in the streets of Leith" in reference to us.

SouthMoroccoStu
09-01-2019, 07:26 PM
" They will be dancing in the streets of Raith" !!! said the commentator when Rovers won the League Cup.in '95.

I always thought this was an old Only Excuse joke

“St Mirren fan” Chic Young talking about them winning the cup

“Dancing in the streets of Mirren”

Taking the mick as he’s a rangers fan with zero knowledge of the buddies

Joe6-2
09-01-2019, 07:31 PM

I did for the 48th year in a row!!

Mick O'Rourke
09-01-2019, 07:42 PM
This gets quoted often as a mistake, but Raith is an area of Kirkcaldy. Not too dissimilar from saying "they'll be dancing in the streets of Leith" in reference to us.

Aye
But the English broadcaster did not know that.
Just like the ones that pronounce the town Kirkcallday

A favourite holiday town of our family back in the 50s'
I can still smell the linoleum !
Fitting that our cup dream all started there

WoreTheGreen
09-01-2019, 07:56 PM
Aye
But the English broadcaster did not know that.
Just like the ones that pronounce the town Kirkcallday

A favourite holiday town of our family back in the 50s'
I can still smell the linoleum !
Fitting that our cup dream all started there

Tut tut we went to aberdour

Onceinawhile
09-01-2019, 08:09 PM

Serious question

Oohh Malonga!

No. He wasn't in the cup final squad.

Eyrie
09-01-2019, 08:09 PM

Serious question

Oohh Malonga!

I thought only those involved in the final (starter or substitute) got a medal? Could be wrong.

BILLYHIBS
09-01-2019, 08:20 PM
No. He wasn't in the cup final squad.

Makes perfect sense just looking at all my winners medals when I was a sub! :greengrin

Newry Hibs
09-01-2019, 08:43 PM
Makes perfect sense just looking at all my winners medals when I was a sub! :greengrin

And your runners up medals when you played?

Sammy7nil
10-01-2019, 06:49 PM
I thought only those involved in the final (starter or substitute) got a medal? Could be wrong.

I don't know the answer but I am sure I read in England u get something like 42 medals :confused:

BILLYHIBS
10-01-2019, 06:54 PM

:faf:

Criswell
10-01-2019, 11:08 PM
As I sat in the pub when we were 0-2 to Hearts at Tynecastle with 10 minutes to go I thought I had more chance of getting to the Moon than us winning the cup that year. Apart from winning a final was our draw there the best result we have ever had?

Scotty Leither
10-01-2019, 11:15 PM
I always thought this was an old Only Excuse joke

“St Mirren fan” Chic Young talking about them winning the cup

“Dancing in the streets of Mirren”

Taking the mick as he’s a rangers fan with zero knowledge of the buddies

I last saw wee Chic at a sportsmans' dinner. He had zero knowledge of amusing stories, too.

Hibbyradge
10-01-2019, 11:48 PM

:thumbsup:

Hibbyradge
11-01-2019, 12:07 AM
As I sat in the pub when we were 0-2 to Hearts at Tynecastle with 10 minutes to go I thought I had more chance of getting to the Moon than us winning the cup that year. Apart from winning a final was our draw there the best result we have ever had?

I was in a pub too, in North York, watching the game on a tiny wee TV. I was the only person watching that screen.

When Hanlon scored the equaliser, I shouted "ya fluccin beauty" so loudly, the whole pub was silenced and they all looked at me.

I smiled at them all and shouted, "Ma bonny boys!" :hilarious

Smartie
11-01-2019, 12:32 AM

We used to slag the Jambos for celebrating draws with us wildly.

I'll never do that again, as getting that draw under those circumstances would have been one of my favourite games even if we hadn't gone on to win the cup.

theonlywayisup
11-01-2019, 07:51 AM

Can't believe that, Hibs were two nil down in the next round with only ten minutes to go. Very unlikely a wee team like Hibs would recover from that.