PDA

View Full Version : OTJ interviews James Colllins

S.sct
08-01-2019, 09:11 PM
Interesting insight to a dreadful team

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/49-james-collins/id1295784638?i=1000427261107&mt=2

Winston Ingram
08-01-2019, 09:16 PM
Interesting insight to a dreadful team

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/49-james-collins/id1295784638?i=1000427261107&mt=2

Thanks for that. I’ll give it a listen.

Hibeesmad
08-01-2019, 09:55 PM
Interesting when OTJ says that the fans were negative towards the players so the players didn’t warm to the fans.

Centre Hawf
08-01-2019, 09:56 PM
Genuinely didn't know he had a podcast. Is it a good listen or is it worth just listening to the James Collins one?

Hibbyradge
08-01-2019, 10:20 PM
OTJ talking about Sunshine on Leith after our derby win when Collins scored:

On those post-match scenes, podcast host Tudor Jones summed it up: “That’s what we could have had more often...if we weren’t so useless. ****** sake.”

The_Horde
08-01-2019, 11:55 PM
Interesting when OTJ says that the fans were negative towards the players so the players didn’t warm to the fans.

I think that's the wrong way round. The players didn't give s pluck about the fans and the feeling was mutual because of it. To be fair the players were probably just the face of the club taking the brunt of the boardrooms blame.

Viva_Palmeiras
09-01-2019, 03:54 AM
OTJ talking about Sunshine on Leith after our derby win when Collins scored:

On those post-match scenes, podcast host Tudor Jones summed it up: “That’s what we could have had more often...if we weren’t so useless. ****** sake.”

Thanks HR. Prob just me but I normally like to hear what players of yearsteryear thought. Not so with this one so I’d rather read a summary / transcript. An era perhaps best left behind along with “an audience with Rowan Vine”

DetroitHibs
09-01-2019, 05:44 AM
Proper wage thief Jones. Says he knew his legs were gone, but wanted one more move. Guy was a useless streak off piss!

JimBHibees
09-01-2019, 06:20 AM
Summed up by OTJ bottling a 50/50 tackle which led to Hamilton equaliser in play off game.

sambajustice
09-01-2019, 07:28 AM
Proper wage thief Jones. Says he knew his legs were gone, but wanted one more move. Guy was a useless streak off piss!

More fool us for not scouting properly then.

Pretty Boy
09-01-2019, 07:29 AM
Summed up by OTJ bottling a 50/50 tackle which led to Hamilton equaliser in play off game.

That's my only memory of him.

Fans were negative to him because he stole a living from us for a year. The various people who allowed the move to happen probably have a case to answer as well mind you.

SirDavidsNapper
09-01-2019, 07:37 AM
More fool us for not scouting properly then.

This. Can't blame the boy for wanting to join a big club with a good signing on fee and wage. It's all on us that one.

CRAZYHIBBY
09-01-2019, 07:38 AM
That era was a really **** time to be a hibs fan. then fenlon came along and thelp job was too big for him and he signed ***** players...griffiths and claros were probably the only 2 good players he brought in

SirDavidsNapper
09-01-2019, 07:42 AM
That era was a really **** time to be a hibs fan. then fenlon came along and thelp job was too big for him and he signed ***** players...griffiths and claros were probably the only 2 good players he brought in

Matt Doherty was decent :greengrin

SirDavidsNapper
09-01-2019, 07:48 AM

I really liked Gary Deegan until some clown broke his jaw. Was half the player he was before after that.

BILLYHIBS
09-01-2019, 08:01 AM
Sounds as though the podcast was coming from the middle of Waverley Station

I always quite liked Tom Soares loads of skill needed a rocket up his arse was surprised he only played 10 games and scored two goals

Imagine bad mouthing us fans?

I suppose there is only so much crap any self respecting fan can put up with

Tudor Jones was at Carlisle half an hour after the Hamilton game FFS!

Gaffer1875
09-01-2019, 08:05 AM
Thanks for sharing.

Shocked to hear OTJ and his honest views that his legs were gone when he signed, unbelievable.

Didn’t mind James Collins too much but Rowan Vine! He was a joke!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GreenArmyyy!
09-01-2019, 08:41 AM
Collins was a trier so would never give him too much of a hard time, just a shocking footballer as was his strike partner Paul Heffernan.

Front three of Collins, Vine and Heffernan, that’s enough to give anyone nightmares.

Danderhall Hibs
09-01-2019, 08:47 AM
That was interesting - not a lot on what they thought of Butcher but they seemed to like Fenlon.

He did say his legs were going but he didn’t realise quite how much. They did seem to accept that it was their fault and had good things to say about the club and the city etc.

I get what they’re saying about the fans though - folk were on their case early and it must’ve been hard for them to feel accepted (cos they never were and weren’t given the chance to).

Chip shop Joe
09-01-2019, 09:09 AM
Collins was a trier so would never give him too much of a hard time, just a shocking footballer as was his strike partner Paul Heffernan.

Front three of Collins, Vine and Heffernan, that’s enough to give anyone nightmares.

With the exception of a defence😃

Danderhall Hibs
09-01-2019, 09:19 AM

Did they ever play together? I thought Heffernan came later and Vine was emptied/injured early doors?

Wakeyhibee
09-01-2019, 09:19 AM
OTJ legs gone when he signed? He was 29!! Unless it's injury related that's really poor

Centre Hawf
09-01-2019, 09:31 AM
OTJ legs gone when he signed? He was 29!! Unless it's injury related that's really poor

Not to sound harsh on OTJ but if you know your legs are gone why are you trying to get wages at a professional level when you can’t contribute. Signing folk like him on probably decent wages were a huge issue at that time for me.

Wakeyhibee
09-01-2019, 09:33 AM
Not to sound harsh on OTJ but if you know your legs are gone why are you trying to get wages at a professional level when you can’t contribute. Signing folk like him on probably decent wages were a huge issue at that time for me.

He got a 2 year deal out of Falkirk as well shortly afterwards.

SMAXXA
09-01-2019, 09:34 AM
The title of this thread gives me the fear no chance am listening to that

Centre Hawf
09-01-2019, 09:36 AM
He got a 2 year deal out of Falkirk as well shortly afterwards.

No bad for some.

calumhibee1
09-01-2019, 09:36 AM

If a club are willing to pay you a big wage then of course you’re going to take it. If your legs are gone then that’s their problem.

If some club I had no affinity to in League 2 in England or something phoned me today and asked me to sign I’d do it in a heartbeat. I know I’d be nowhere near good enough but that would be their issue, not mine.

Tom Hart RIP
09-01-2019, 09:37 AM
OTJ was outstanding against us at ER the previous season. As was Rowan Vine. So much so I had to find out who they were. I was delighted to sign both.
Shame it didn’t work out but both were good players although not for us.
OTJ welsh international and RV went for million pound deals.

calumhibee1
09-01-2019, 09:45 AM
OTJ was outstanding against us at ER the previous season. As was Rowan Vine. So much so I had to find out who they were. I was delighted to sign both.

Rowan Vine had 25 clubs throughout his career. Incredible. Can’t be many players with more than that!

heretoday
09-01-2019, 09:50 AM
I think I'll pass on listening to that.

danhibees1875
09-01-2019, 09:51 AM
If a club are willing to pay you a big wage then of course you’re going to take it. If your legs are gone then that’s their problem.

If some club I had no affinity to in League 2 in England or something phoned me today and asked me to sign I’d do it in a heartbeat. I know I’d be nowhere near good enough but that would be their issue, not mine.

Exactly. It's a shame that it's us that got the bad end of the deal but I can't see what people are expecting here. OTJ was never going to go "Pat, I'm not sure I'm good enough - I'm just going to play for East Fife instead". It's nice to hear players talk openly and relatively positively considering the time at which they played for us, it's a shame it never worked out for Collins as other than missing a couple of sitters (jumped on worse at the time due to our situation) he had a lot of good attributes for a forward player.

MWHIBBIES
09-01-2019, 09:53 AM

Heffernan and Collins both made a living scoring goals wherever they went. Neither is a shocking footballer. Heffernan was actually decent for us, just injured often.

calumhibee1
09-01-2019, 09:58 AM
Heffernan and Collins both made a living scoring goals wherever they went. Neither is a shocking footballer. Heffernan was actually decent for us, just injured often.

I thought Heffernan was awful. He only scored 5 in 35.

I didn’t actually realise he made 11 appearances under Stubbs, I thought he’d left that summer.

The_Horde
09-01-2019, 10:06 AM

I didn’t actually realise he made 11 appearances under Stubbs, I thought he’d left that summer.

AS apparently quite liked him, just wished he'd got a younger version of him.

Pretty Boy
09-01-2019, 10:14 AM

Heffernan was a good player who was absolutely shot by the time we got him. 2 or 3 seasons earlier he would have been a great signing.

Saint Hibee
09-01-2019, 10:17 AM
I really liked Gary Deegan until some clown broke his jaw. Was half the player he was before after that.

I also thought Gary Deegan did a pretty good job for us for a while. For some reason I really liked Paul Cairney too!

Carheenlea
09-01-2019, 10:21 AM
Was actually a very good listen I thought. Pretty honest about their times at Hibs during what was a difficult period. There’s no doubt the relationship between players and fan was more strained to the relationship and identity that we have now. Our patience and frustrations had been stretched too far and and we were definitely far quicker to jump on players backs back then than now, and it just summed up the toxic atmosphere about the club at that time.
You could sense that they didn’t really want to give much airtime to Malpas which told its own story really, and Butcher made an almighty pigs ear of things alright. The worst managerial appointment ever, and I’m embarrassed to think back on how I was desperate to see the appointment made. Have said before that as soon as I saw him pull that stupid face in the main stand on his first PR photo shoot I suddenly got a bad feeling about the whole thing.
Both came across pretty well, but Collins was perhaps embellishing things a little when talking of hearing bricks bouncing off the stand as angry fans gathered outside following relegation.

Centre Hawf
09-01-2019, 10:23 AM

I don’t necessarily disagree with that. And the club should take first responsibility for signing him and not putting him through the necessary checks or signing him if those checks did flag issues. It just really annoys me hearing him say how his legs had gone at 29 and was quite happy effectively stealing wages from clubs after it.

SirDavidsNapper
09-01-2019, 10:49 AM

Common theme that. Liam Craig and Danny Swanson spring to mind too.

Hibs90
09-01-2019, 10:54 AM
Collins actually speaks okay of us to be fair but still strikes me as a prick. OTJ was a wage thief.

The 90+2
09-01-2019, 10:54 AM
Detest them both.

Michael
09-01-2019, 10:55 AM
I also thought Gary Deegan did a pretty good job for us for a while. For some reason I really liked Paul Cairney too!

Cairney started okay. Was so slow though.

Centre Hawf
09-01-2019, 11:13 AM
Cairney started okay. Was so slow though.

First 6 months he was class. Nutmegged folk for fun and set sparky up constantly. Then seemed to drop off. Never a winger in a million years and I cannot believe we never tried him as a 10.

Bishop Hibee
09-01-2019, 11:24 AM
OTJ would be a contender for a place in my worst Hibs XI and that’s saying something. Seemed more interested in golf on his social media than football. Dreadful player.

overdrive
09-01-2019, 11:54 AM
First 6 months he was class. Nutmegged folk for fun and set sparky up constantly. Then seemed to drop off. Never a winger in a million years and I cannot believe we never tried him as a 10.

I think teams got wise to lack of pace after the first six months and realised he was a bit of a one trick pony with the nutmeg followed by the cutting in on his right foot.

Heffernan was alright but as others have said he was too old by the time he got here. Vine was a waste of space. More interested in his beard than playing football. Collins was a trier but just wasn't very good at us. I think the pressure of following Griffiths got to him (as he kind of alludes to in the interview).

fiolex1
09-01-2019, 12:15 PM
So what do club medicals actually achieve? How could OTJ pass a medical when his legs were gone.
I would imagine there would be some type of bleep test as well as an examination?

Hibbyradge
09-01-2019, 12:17 PM
So what do club medicals actually achieve? How could OTJ pass a medical when his legs were gone.
I would imagine there would be some type of bleep test as well as an examination?

Bleep test? Wotsat?

calumhibee1
09-01-2019, 12:20 PM

I used to love doing the bleep test in PE at school. Would hate to think how bad I’d be at it now compared to how I used to be :greengrin

Wakeyhibee
09-01-2019, 12:22 PM
Detest them both.

Bit harsh. Collins at least put in the effort. It's hard to tell if he was good enough or not (I suspect not) as the whole team were poor. He's done well elsewhere before and after at a lower level. Comes across ok in the interview.

James Stephen
09-01-2019, 12:38 PM
It really was just the most terrible of times. Butcher and his hatchet man of an assistant administering the final wound to a club that had been going steadily downwards for the 7 years since winning the league cup.

As much as i really cant stand Butcher (more so Calderwood i have to say), it really was a study in the badly managed decline of a club, and the failings of Collins, Mixu, Fenlon and Calderwood were all too similar to not have been heavily influenced by the highheidyins running the club.

fiolex1
09-01-2019, 12:43 PM
Bleep test? Wotsat?

Basically it is running out 20 metres and back. You get a a pre determined time to do this which reduces on every complition and the time limit is sounded by a bleep. All the major fitness test are done this way. My son who plays under 18 Rugby managed a score of 17 a few months back, my other son who is hoping to be a policeman is currently sitting at 12. I am sure if OTJ legs had gone his bleep test would’ve picked this up?

Hibbyradge
09-01-2019, 12:45 PM
Basically it is running out 20 metres and back. You get a a pre determined time to do this which reduces on every complition and the time limit is sounded by a bleep. All the major fitness test are done this way. My son who plays under 18 Rugby managed a score of 17 a few months back, my other son who is hoping to be a policeman is currently sitting at 12. I am sure if OTJ legs had gone his bleep test would’ve picked this up?

Thanks for the information. Every day's a school day.

Centre Hawf
09-01-2019, 01:06 PM
Bit harsh. Collins at least put in the effort. It's hard to tell if he was good enough or not (I suspect not) as the whole team were poor. He's done well elsewhere before and after at a lower level. Comes across ok in the interview.

Had the "pleasure" of encountering Collins a few times that season and the guy came over as a bit of a bell end to be honest.

Hibernia&Alba
09-01-2019, 04:41 PM
Some names in the Hibs hall of shame in this thread. Bad times.

Hibeesmad
09-01-2019, 05:35 PM
The days of Alan Maybury, Fraser Mullen and Michael Hart.

Thank god for Sir David Gray

Wakeyhibee
09-01-2019, 05:36 PM
Had the "pleasure" of encountering Collins a few times that season and the guy came over as a bit of a bell end to be honest.

Fair play mate, I never had the "pleasure". Was just going off his on field efforts and this interview.

MWHIBBIES
09-01-2019, 05:43 PM
The days of Alan Maybury, Fraser Mullen and Michael Hart.

Thank god for Sir David Gray
Nothing wrong with Maybury. Solid player for Hibs.

jacomo
09-01-2019, 06:32 PM
Nothing wrong with Maybury. Solid player for Hibs.

This comment alone shows how bad things were.

Maybury did nothing of note for us, but I suppose in comparison to some of his team mates that made him a stand out!

MWHIBBIES
09-01-2019, 06:39 PM
This comment alone shows how bad things were.

Maybury did nothing of note for us, but I suppose in comparison to some of his team mates that made him a stand out!No, he was actually just a solid player. Good pro who had a solid career.

WoreTheGreen
09-01-2019, 06:46 PM
Some names in the Hibs hall of shame in this thread. Bad times.

They all started bad and got worse pretty consistent

derekduval
09-01-2019, 06:48 PM
I would like to say JAMES Collins was really good with the kids at The Hibs kids panto and I thought he tried really hard but was a young lad following Griffiths with not much support and wish him well.

Only listen to half the podcast and not heard his take on the Cheltenham incident yet which hasn’t done him any favours.

WoreTheGreen
09-01-2019, 06:50 PM
I would like to say JAMES Collins was really good with the kids at The Hibs kids panto and I thought he tried really hard but was a young lad following Griffiths with not much support and wish him well.

What character was he playing

jacomo
09-01-2019, 07:10 PM
No, he was actually just a solid player. Good pro who had a solid career.

Undoubtedly he did have a solid career but - as with many of the names on here - all of his highlights were before he pulled on a Hibs shirt.

For us, he was bang average.

calumhibee1
09-01-2019, 07:13 PM

The old version of the bleep test was better. Your score was how many times you ran the length of the hall. Much simpler. Gone are the days I could get up to 170 odd I’d suspect :greengrin

derekduval
09-01-2019, 07:16 PM

Wishy washy

Eyrie
09-01-2019, 07:19 PM

Pretty obvious.

The real question is who was playing the front half?

WoreTheGreen
09-01-2019, 07:33 PM
Pretty obvious.

Banjo springs to mind

tamig
09-01-2019, 07:43 PM
Detest them both.

In what way do you “detest” them and why? A pretty strong word. James Collins was a grafter and I thank him for his goal in a winning derby. If OTJ’s legs were gone, I’d have hoped a medical would have identified that. I have nothing against either lad.

Hibbyradge
09-01-2019, 07:52 PM
Pretty obvious.

:faf:

Very good 👍

MWHIBBIES
09-01-2019, 08:05 PM
Undoubtedly he did have a solid career but - as with many of the names on here - all of his highlights were before he pulled on a Hibs shirt.

For us, he was bang average.He was about average yeah, which was much better than the previous 7/8 years of right backs. Far better than Clancy, Hart, Mullen etc.

Never let us down and trained the younger teams during his time here as well.

Danderhall Hibs
09-01-2019, 08:24 PM

Pussy in boots.

Eyrie
09-01-2019, 09:59 PM
:faf:

Very good 👍

It was too good to pass up.

Collins tried hard but just wasn't good enough in his time here.

Winston Ingram
10-01-2019, 05:45 AM

Heffernan was slightly better version of Maclaren but still awful

JimBHibees
10-01-2019, 06:50 AM

Please let go you know you want to. :greengrin

BILLYHIBS
10-01-2019, 06:59 AM

Dunno remember back in August 2011 he destroyed us scoring two in a 4-1 win missing a sitter in the last minute in a match televised live by Sky Sports from Rugby Park

Like MacLaren he scored goals but like MacLaren he spent a lot of time injured at Easter Road

I personally think we should have signed him earlier in his career as he was a talent

TheHarpy76
10-01-2019, 07:07 AM
Collins actually speaks okay of us to be fair but still strikes me as a prick. OTJ was a wage thief.

He almost compares signing for us to going home with the fat, ugly bird at the end of the night because you’re desperate for a ****.
What a prick!

I’d almost convinced myself that that era never happened.

ian cruise
10-01-2019, 07:14 AM
On paper a lot of the players in that squad should have done much better than they did, it's a shame really (particularly for us fans). Surprised we didn't pick up that OTJ was done at his medical but it's happened to bigger clubs than ourselves.

There's a few nsnes being mentioned who weren't awful, and actually did pretty well for us at the time. We've moved on in the quality of players we're signing and they look poor in our teams of the last 4 years but guys like Maybury still came in, did a job and were the bright spots in a pretty grim time to go and watch Hibs.

Hibee Mac
10-01-2019, 07:14 AM
What is he on about saying they were trapped in the dressing room with bricks being thrown in the stadium after the Hamilton game?? Absolutely fantasy stuff.

Diclonius
10-01-2019, 07:35 AM
I'm glad Collins enjoyed himself, but I still have PTSD from the Worst Miss Ever™ in the Edinburgh derby.

Pretty Boy
10-01-2019, 07:39 AM
What is he on about saying they were trapped in the dressing room with bricks being thrown in the stadium after the Hamilton game?? Absolutely fantasy stuff.

Yep that's just a lie.

I was an interested bystander at that protest and it was a couple of hundred folk chanting 'sack the board' and the like for half an hour or so then it dispersed. The players cars were parked at the corner between FF and East and a couple of dozen people went round there and shouted a bit abuse.

Bricks bouncing off the stand is total fanstasy stuff.

lyonhibs
10-01-2019, 07:41 AM
Listening to OTJ interviewing James Collins is like jumping head first into a portal back to a dark, dark time in our team's history, starring two of the worst culprits and in the case of OTJ, an absolute wage thief to boot.

Think I'll pass.

Heckys Wheel
10-01-2019, 08:06 AM
This wage thief patter is absolute nonsense.

Said he didn’t realize his legs were going as bad as they were.

Do people really expect him to walk into the office and ask them to rip up his contract because he’s not doing himself justice?

Pretty Boy
10-01-2019, 08:47 AM

Do people really expect him to walk into the office and ask them to rip up his contract because he’s not doing himself justice?

'My legs had gone' is being a bit economical with the truth though. He had a pre exisiting injury in his knee that he had surgery on and when he retired he admitted it had 'plagued him'.

Whilst the Hibs medical and scouting teams should have been aware of that it doesn't say much for OTJs personal integrity that after leaving Hibs, where he apparently knew his 'legs had gone', he went on to sign another contract at another club. It's probably another situation in which football and the real world don't mix. If i played down a medical condition at my work that impacted my performance and it was later discovered I would probably be looking a a gross misconduct disciplinary.

blackpoolhibs
10-01-2019, 08:54 AM

Maybe he should have come on here to have it confirmed that his legs had gone? :tee hee:

JimBHibees
10-01-2019, 08:57 AM
Maybe he should have come on here to have it confirmed that his legs had gone? :tee hee:

Depends of course what age he was. Under 30 ok, day over 30 totally gone. :greengrin

Danderhall Hibs
10-01-2019, 09:14 AM

:agree: it’s a mix of folk hearing what they want to hear or in some cases not listening at all but jumping on the bandwagon anyway.

tonyrougier123
10-01-2019, 10:33 AM
Read snippets of that podcast,two players who are absolutely oblivious to what it ment to play for hibs.fans gave them everything.team at the time was impotent.collins says he wished he never signed,interesting that he never said wished id done better.otj,well less said the better!! 😤

Danderhall Hibs
10-01-2019, 10:48 AM
Read snippets of that podcast,two players who are absolutely oblivious to what it ment to play for hibs.fans gave them everything.team at the time was impotent.collins says he wished he never signed,interesting that he never said wished id done better.otj,well less said the better!! 😤

You’ve not listened to it then?

tonyrougier123
10-01-2019, 11:19 AM
You’ve not listened to it then?

No

Langlee Hibs
10-01-2019, 12:07 PM
For all the rankness being talked about I still think Duffy's mob were worse!

Shrekko
10-01-2019, 12:45 PM
Re James Collins... are the same folk who're defending Kamberi at the moment and saying his poor form is purely because of 'lack of service' not going to do the same for Collins? He seems to score elsewhere.

MWHIBBIES
10-01-2019, 04:32 PM
Re James Collins... are the same folk who're defending Kamberi at the moment and saying his poor form is purely because of 'lack of service' not going to do the same for Collins? He seems to score elsewhere.

Kamberi isn't missing sitters, is younger, faster, more talented, higher potential, actually done well for us.

Look at Kamberis goal vs Celtic at Parkhead. Collins couldn't do that on FIFA never mind real life.

Collins scored 6 goals in 40 games, Kamberi has 9 this season already.

No comparison.

overdrive
10-01-2019, 05:18 PM
Kamberi isn't missing sitters, is younger, faster, more talented, higher potential, actually done well for us.

Look at Kamberis goal vs Celtic at Parkhead. Collins couldn't do that on FIFA never mind real life.

Collins scored 6 goals in 40 games, Kamberi has 9 this season already.

No comparison.

Collins was actually younger than Kamberi (marginally) when he signed for us.

Hibeesmad
10-01-2019, 05:20 PM
No, he was actually just a solid player. Good pro who had a solid career.

My main memory of him was getting ripped apart in the Scottish Cup final.

Other than that I think he played nearly every game the season we got relegated. Very solid

we are hibs
10-01-2019, 06:08 PM
Collins sitter at Easter road will haunt me till my dying days. Almost scored a screamer right at the end of that game too

MWHIBBIES
10-01-2019, 06:15 PM
My main memory of him was getting ripped apart in the Scottish Cup final.

Other than that I think he played nearly every game the season we got relegated. Very solid

Everyone got ripped apart that day. Sauzee and co got ripped apart in 2001.

Many other good players played most games that season. Craig, Williams, Robertson, Stevenson, Hanlon. It was much more management to blame. Fenlon had them 5th.

LaMotta
10-01-2019, 07:53 PM

Kamberi can shoot. Collins couldn't. Kamberi has his faults but he is 20 times the player JC was.

Heisenberg
10-01-2019, 07:56 PM

He’s scored goals elsewhere because the level of football he’s been playing at is lower than up here. Stick Kamberi in at league one/two and he’d bang them in as well.

BILLYHIBS
10-01-2019, 08:09 PM
Everyone got ripped apart that day. Sauzee and co got ripped apart in 2001.

Many other good players played most games that season. Craig, Williams, Robertson, Stevenson, Hanlon. It was much more management to blame. Fenlon had them 5th.

It didn’t help our cause Latapy getting himself sacked the night before

We held our own but the game changed when they brought on Jackie MacNamara Jnr who ripped us apart scoring their first goal after 38 mins after that there was only going to be one winner

IIRC I don’t think Sauzee looked fully fit that day either

99 years and counting ��

Billy Whizz
10-01-2019, 08:12 PM

We held our own but the game changed when they brought on Jackie MacNamara Jnr who ripped us apart scoring their first goal after 38 mins after that there was only going to be one winner

101 years and counting 😁

Was carried off at Ibrox the week before or so before the Final, 4-0 defeat. To be fair this Hibs team was on a downward spiral well before the final

Hibbyradge
10-01-2019, 08:16 PM

99 years and counting ��

Sauzee had a broken foot bone.

SirDavidsNapper
10-01-2019, 08:21 PM
For all the rankness being talked about I still think Duffy's mob were worse!

Who would win a 2 legged playoff between Duffys Duffers and Butchers Balloons? One things for sure it wouldn't be pretty.

Michael
10-01-2019, 08:30 PM
Who would win a 2 legged playoff between Duffys Duffers and Butchers Balloons? One things for sure it wouldn't be pretty.

It's Butcher's Mince!

Coco's Clowns were pretty awful too.

BILLYHIBS
10-01-2019, 08:35 PM
Was carried off at Ibrox the week before or so before the Final, 4-0 defeat. To be fair this Hibs team was on a downward spiral well before the final

Latapy broke team curfew by going out drinking with Dwight Yorke and was effectively dismissed by Alex McLeish as he was caught drink driving causing him to miss the last Derby of the season and the 2001 Scottish Cup Final which we lost 0-3 to goals from McNamara and Larsson two( one pen)

We were up against it but held our own until the 38 th minute when the influential McNamara fired in the opener after that there was always only going to be one winner

The Modfather
10-01-2019, 08:39 PM
That's my only memory of him.

Fans were negative to him because he stole a living from us for a year. The various people who allowed the move to happen probably have a case to answer as well mind you.

I remember reading Butcher saying that when he came in with Marsella, as a club we used Wikipedia as part of our recruitiment. We were an absolute shambles until Dempster came in so it’s no surprise when we signed players ready for the scrap heap like TUdor Jones.

leithsansiro
10-01-2019, 10:36 PM
I remember reading Butcher saying that when he came in with Marsella, as a club we used Wikipedia as part of our recruitiment. .

Surely not? That’s a damning indictment if ever there was one. You mean to tell me that I could’ve gotten myself signed by Hibs if I’d bothered to make myself a Wikipedia page that looked decent? I blame Petrie, just ‘cos

itslegaltender
20-07-2019, 08:15 AM
OTJ interviews Rowan Vine.

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/the-longmans-football-world-podcast-with-owain-tudur-jones/id1295784638?i=1000430274367

Didn’t see a thread on this. Guy sounds like a complete nutter. Good background in Butcher and Malpas and an incident at Ross County that led to Vine never playing for Hibs again.

Also claims he told Petrie that Butcher had lost the dressing room in the January and Petrie didn’t believe him.

Talks of faction splits in the team and a dry boaking incident with Collins

Hibs stuff is a bout 40 mins in.

JimBHibees
20-07-2019, 08:38 AM

99 years and counting ��

Latapy wasn't sacked the night before the final was a few weeks before when he got done for drink driving with his mate Dwight just before a Derby.

JimBHibees
20-07-2019, 08:42 AM
Sauzee had a broken foot bone.

Pretty sure it was a hamstring injury 6 days before the final at Ibrox. Personally don't think he should have played at Ibrox given his importance to the team.

BILLYHIBS
20-07-2019, 10:01 AM
Latapy wasn't sacked the night before the final was a few weeks before when he got done for drink driving with his mate Dwight just before a Derby.

👍🏾
Getting my Friday nights mixed up

It was almost 20 years ago

😁👍🏾⚽️🏆🇳🇬

Please see my post dated 10/1/19 😁
10.35pm

HIBERNIAN-0762
20-07-2019, 10:04 AM

Just before the cup final v Celtic I think it was.

judas
20-07-2019, 10:06 AM
Rowan Vine. One on the least effective players I’ve seen in my 37 years watching Hibs.

Not a scintilla of positive influence on the team or club.

Butcher didn’t make friends in the dressing room, we all know that, but Vine lost any ability he was supposed to have the minute he walked across the threshold at ER.

Some of these spoilt laddies, moving straight out of school and boys clubs and into the world of professional football, wouldn’t know real responsibility if it punched them square in the pus. The entitlement is pathetic.

Displacing the blame onto others is a losers method.

FilipinoHibs
20-07-2019, 10:13 AM
I think I'll pass on listening to that.

I could not take it after the Duff Gray thread made spine chill an got me really angry again. The Philippines police are very unforgiving.

Bishop Hibee
20-07-2019, 10:19 AM
TudorJones was absolutely brutal. Straight into my worst Hibs XI. More interested in golf than football. Disgraced the shirt. Vine wasn't much better. The only positive about watching crap players like them is it makes the good times all the sweeter.

FilipinoHibs
20-07-2019, 10:38 AM

99 years and counting ��

Sauzee not over injury from Ibrox and Latapy sacked for being on the piss.

Since452
20-07-2019, 10:51 AM
Don't think our form was good at all going in to that final. Needed to be firing all cylinders against that excellent Celtic team. They were so powerful all over the park. They'd have given Rodgers treble treble winners the run around.

Since452
20-07-2019, 10:56 AM
TudorJones was absolutely brutal. Straight into my worst Hibs XI. More interested in golf than football. Disgraced the shirt. Vine wasn't much better. The only positive about watching crap players like them is it makes the good times all the sweeter.

Don't really blame OTJ. Hibs signed him when he was finished as a player but didn't see it. Sure OTJ admitted he was surprised at the Hibs move happening as he was done but couldn't refuse the money on offer.

we are hibs
20-07-2019, 11:01 AM
Alan Maybury a solid player for hibs 😂 he was absolutely dreadful. Between him and tim Clancy for 2 of the slowest footballers I've ever seen

Peevemor
20-07-2019, 11:07 AM
Alan Maybury a solid player for hibs 😂 he was absolutely dreadful. Between him and tim Clancy for 2 of the slowest footballers I've ever seen

Maybury was far from dreadful for us. He played 50 games (started 46) and did what was asked of him. He was a good, committed pro in a squad carrying too many passengers.

The 90+2
20-07-2019, 11:14 AM
Maybury was far from dreadful for us. He played 50 games (started 46) and did what was asked of him. He was a good, committed pro in a squad carrying too many passengers.

Maybury was guff. It shows the level the club and team had fallen to that he was considered a good committed pro’.

we are hibs
20-07-2019, 11:16 AM

He was honking. Ripped up for arse paper on countless occasions. Players like him were part of the reason we went down. Mainly because they were *****. Nothing to do with attitude.

Steve-O
20-07-2019, 11:28 AM
He was honking. Ripped up for arse paper on countless occasions. Players like him were part of the reason we went down. Mainly because they were *****. Nothing to do with attitude.

Got absolutely ripped in the 2013 cup final as I recall

Smartie
20-07-2019, 11:49 AM
Maybury was decent.

He WAS absolutely horrifically slow, but his positional sense was excellent so he didn't end up getting exposed all that often. Every now and again he'd come up against a player who was just too good, young, quick and clever (Stokes destroyed him down his side in the cup final mentioned above).

Clearly he had great limitations as a player by the time he joined us but he was aware of that.

Far too much was expected of him ie sticking him in the first team every week, when by that stage in his career he should have been no more than a competent squad player who covered on special occasions.

It wasn't his fault we didn't have a better option, he gave everything, and I don't think it can have been easy for him playing for us.

Peevemor
20-07-2019, 11:55 AM
Maybury was decent.

He WAS absolutely horrifically slow, but his positional sense was excellent so he didn't end up getting exposed all that often. Every now and again he'd come up against a player who was just too good, young, quick and clever (Stokes destroyed him down his side in the cup final mentioned above).

Clearly he had great limitations as a player by the time he joined us but he was aware of that.

Far too much was expend of him ie sticking him in the first team every week, when by that stage in his career he should have been no more than a competent squad player who covered on special occasions.

It wasn't his fault we didn't have a better option, he gave everything, and I don't think it can have been easy for him playing for us.Exactly.

BILLYHIBS
20-07-2019, 12:20 PM
Sauzee not over injury from Ibrox and Latapy sacked for being on the piss.

:thumbsup:

See my posts #99 and #104