PDA

View Full Version : v Rangers - Saturday 9 March: Moved for TV?

Jamesie
08-01-2019, 10:49 AM
Looking at the round of fixtures for the weekend of 9/10 March there must be a good chance that the game against Rangers is moved to the Sunday for TV purposes. Granted, if Celtic were to make the last 16 of the Europa League their first leg would be on Thu 7 March and they'd be moved to the Sunday - but as a home Old Firm match that wouldn't normally be televised anyway.

Celtic v Aberdeen
Dundee v Heart of Midlothian
Hibernian v Rangers
Livingston v St. Johnstone
Motherwell v Hamilton Academical
St. Mirren v Kilmarnock

Danderhall Hibs
08-01-2019, 10:55 AM
Bound to be - Scotland at home to Wales (I think) in the 6 nations on the Saturday afternoon as well.

Jamesie
08-01-2019, 11:34 AM
Bound to be - Scotland at home to Wales (I think) in the 6 nations on the Saturday afternoon as well.

Absolutely!

Leith Green
08-01-2019, 01:36 PM
The Scottish live football schedule literally just reads as whichever team is at home to the old firm. Its an absolute disgrace

Bristolhibby
08-01-2019, 01:41 PM
When do the next bank of fixture changes get announced?

J

lyonhibs
08-01-2019, 01:53 PM
The Scottish live football schedule literally just reads as whichever team is at home to the old firm. Its an absolute disgrace

Is it? TV companies need people to watch what they broadcast and those 2 boils on the arse of the earth so, sadly, have by far the largest fan bases in Scotland. If we were to insist on St Johnstone vs Killie etc being shown on telly then the joke of a TV deal would become even more of a nonsense.

Danderhall Hibs
08-01-2019, 04:11 PM
Is it? TV companies need people to watch what they broadcast and those 2 boils on the arse of the earth so, sadly, have by far the largest fan bases in Scotland. If we were to insist on St Johnstone vs Killie etc being shown on telly then the joke of a TV deal would become even more of a nonsense.

There was viewing figures posted on twitter yesterday by a guy from the BBC for the 2 derbies last month and the numbers were pretty poor. They were disputed by the boy from BT but he didn’t say what the actual numbers were.

That’s for our 2 biggest games - imagine what Hamilton v Livi would pull in?

matty_f
08-01-2019, 04:26 PM
There was viewing figures posted on twitter yesterday by a guy from the BBC for the 2 derbies last month and the numbers were pretty poor. They were disputed by the boy from BT but he didn’t say what the actual numbers were.

That’s for our 2 biggest games - imagine what Hamilton v Livi would pull in?

The numbers were brutal, when I worked at Sky we had a comms where one of the SPL games that they showed (I think it was still branded as the SPL back then) had 30k viewers.

That's why they don't chuck the huge money at it.

Not In The Know
08-01-2019, 05:29 PM
What were the figures?

killie-hibby
08-01-2019, 06:10 PM

The gist of Leithgreen's post highlights the fact that the Bigot twins televised matches are their away games. Meaning that supporters of the other ten clubs are inconvenienced more often than them. He doesn't mention fan bases.

Billy Whizz
08-01-2019, 06:16 PM
The gist of Leithgreen's post highlights the fact that the Bigot twins televised matches are their away games. Meaning that supporters of the other ten clubs are inconvenienced more often than them. He doesn't mention fan bases.

I thought we all had the same amount of home game on TV?

lyonhibs
08-01-2019, 06:17 PM

Inconvenienced how? Kick off times? But the OF fans in attendance are similarly inconvenienced no?
So OF away fans are in fact the most inconvenienced?

I'm not getting it to be honest. It's commercial logic that most televised games are the OF are away from home.

Danderhall Hibs
08-01-2019, 06:35 PM
What were the figures?

SPFL Derby Day TV Ratings:

Hibs-Hearts: 63k
Rangers-Celtic: 177k

brianmc
08-01-2019, 06:48 PM
Pretty sure even the "top" EPL games only get 300-400k viewing.

It's all about the foreign rights/advertising, sadly.

The 90+2
08-01-2019, 06:52 PM

They aren’t really. Looking at it logically then every old firm supporter has to travel early on a Sunday to places like Aberdeen and Inverness every away game.

Far more of an inconvenience for them than us having to play at home a couple of Sunday’s.

3pm
08-01-2019, 06:57 PM

I read something saying that was inaccurate.

rotherhamrob
08-01-2019, 06:58 PM

I'm sure we'd have had a few more if arsenal v Liverpool hadn't been on at the same time.

killie-hibby
08-01-2019, 07:24 PM
Inconvenienced how? Kick off times? But the OF fans in attendance are similarly inconvenienced no?

I'm not getting it to be honest. It's commercial logic that most televised games are the OF are away from home.

The most inconvenienced are season ticket holders. Maybe I am in the minority,as at time of purchase of my ST, I expect most games at ER to KO at 3pm on a Saturday. I am well aware this does not happen. I get bloody well annoyed having to leave Kilmarnock at 9am for a 1200 or 1230 KO usually for games at ER against the Bigots.
The Bigots seem to have more home games at traditional times than the other 10 clubs, therefore their season ticket holders are not inconvenienced. Whether or not they attend away matches is their choice. Can you explain why it is commercial logic for most of the Bigots away games be televised.

killie-hibby
08-01-2019, 07:31 PM

The most inconvenienced are season ticket holders. Maybe I am in the minority,as at time of purchase of my ST, I expect most games at ER to KO at 3pm on a Saturday. I am well aware this does not happen. I get bloody well annoyed having to leave Kilmarnock at 9am for a 1200 or 1230 KO usually for games at ER against the Bigots.
The Bigots seem to have more home games at traditional times than the other 10 clubs, therefore their season ticket holders are not inconvenienced. Whether or not they attend away matches is their choice. Can you explain why it is commercial logic for most of the Bigots away games be televised.

Gmack7
08-01-2019, 07:37 PM
recently Celtic v hibs and Celtic v hearts when both games were 1st v 2nd were played at 3pm with no live TV,we then had to watch Hamilton v The rangers on the Sunday that is ridiculous. The biggest games should be televised

lyonhibs
08-01-2019, 07:40 PM

Because the OF have the biggest fan bases, tv companies want the highest possible viewing figures and Bigot Brothers away games are necessarily when the highest % of their fans won't be at the game and thus will be sat in front of the telly.
Not saying I like it, but there it is.

Billy Whizz
08-01-2019, 07:43 PM
recently Celtic v hibs and Celtic v hearts when both games were 1st v 2nd were played at 3pm with no live TV,we then had to watch Hamilton v The rangers on the Sunday that is ridiculous. The biggest games should be televised

They can only show a certain amount of home games per club
Think it could be around 6 each max

Gmack7
08-01-2019, 07:48 PM
They can only show a certain amount of home games per club
Think it could be around 6 each max

i realise that,for me thats one of the problems,hibs,hearts,Aberdeen, and kilmarnock at ibrox and parkhead should be on Tv.people want to watch the bigger games but we're not showing them all,I'd be interested to know if the EPL has the same restrictions

killie-hibby
08-01-2019, 07:49 PM
Because the OF have the biggest fan bases, tv companies want the highest possible viewing figures and Bigot Brothers away games are necessarily when the highest % of their fans won't be at the game and thus will be sat in front of the telly.
Not saying I like it, but there it is.

Cant disagree with your explanation. Further proof that we, who attend games, are further down the pecking order, than those who sit at home on their big fat backsides watching SKY/BT sports.

Danderhall Hibs
08-01-2019, 07:50 PM

So did I - I mentioned it in my original post but haven’t seen the updated/correct figure.

Geo_1875
08-01-2019, 08:48 PM
900 Hibs fans at Ibrox and 1200 at Parkhead yet we rarely get these games televised. Both Glasgow teams get more tickets at ER yet we have to rearrange our lives for their fans convenience. Don't see how that's acceptable.

Nakedmanoncrack
09-01-2019, 08:59 PM
Looking at the round of fixtures for the weekend of 9/10 March there must be a good chance that the game against Rangers is moved to the Sunday for TV purposes. Granted, if Celtic were to make the last 16 of the Europa League their first leg would be on Thu 7 March and they'd be moved to the Sunday - but as a home Old Firm match that wouldn't normally be televised anyway.

Celtic v Aberdeen
Dundee v Heart of Midlothian
Hibernian v Rangers
Livingston v St. Johnstone
Motherwell v Hamilton Academical
St. Mirren v Kilmarnock

Hopefully a fun Fri night fixture, unlikely, but if it ends up Sun that will be another home game I'm missing.

JimBHibees
10-01-2019, 07:04 AM
i realise that,for me thats one of the problems,hibs,hearts,Aberdeen, and kilmarnock at ibrox and parkhead should be on Tv.people want to watch the bigger games but we're not showing them all,I'd be interested to know if the EPL has the same restrictions

Totally agree just suits the narrative non of teams are making up the numbers. As you say they get pretty much all their home games at 3 on a Saturday which will be mostly full as not on tv while all other teams will likely have reduced attendance at home to either cheek because of tv and time of game.

Antifa Hibs
10-01-2019, 09:10 AM
Quite simple really... A standard game, SPL team home to one of the OF probably attracts what, 120,000 viewers? Have that game at Ibrox and Parkhead and you could take 30-40000 viewers away.

Personally i'm happy our games in Glasgow aren't on the tele. For those that go what's better, 3pm on a Saturday or 12pm on a Sunday? No brainer.

FilipinoHibs
10-01-2019, 09:19 AM
Are there tickets left for this game. Website saying none available.

Diclonius
10-01-2019, 09:28 AM

I'm amazed that their figures are only about three times higher than ours.

Billy Whizz
10-01-2019, 09:44 AM
Are there tickets left for this game. Website saying none available.

Not on sale yet

Phil MaGlass
10-01-2019, 02:56 PM
I'm sure we'd have had a few more if arsenal v Liverpool hadn't been on at the same time.

The huns v sellik game was also live on TV in Holland, were these figures also taken into account?

Oh and just to add, the Dutch commentators were raving about the game in Scotland, not for the skill, but the real blood and guts and 100 mph pace of the game that is missing in modern football

Eyrie
10-01-2019, 08:19 PM
I'm amazed that their figures are only about three times higher than ours.

The 400,000 Hearts fans must have been washing the Rover instead of watching the derby.

Tommy75
11-01-2019, 05:48 PM
Quite simple really... A standard game, SPL team home to one of the OF probably attracts what, 120,000 viewers? Have that game at Ibrox and Parkhead and you could take 30-40000 viewers away.

Personally i'm happy our games in Glasgow aren't on the tele. For those that go what's better, 3pm on a Saturday or 12pm on a Sunday? No brainer.

That is the problem though, hardly any Hibs fans get to go to Ibrox or Park Head because of the rubbish allocation they give us. The whole TV deal is structured to suit the bigot brothers from Glasgow.

Jamesie
12-01-2019, 11:57 AM
Wondering if this could perhaps be moved to the Friday evening rather than the Sunday...

hibs#1
12-01-2019, 12:04 PM

Yes Darrell Currie from Bt sport said on twitter these figures where wrong.

Danderhall Hibs
12-01-2019, 12:53 PM
Yes Darrell Currie from Bt sport said on twitter these figures where wrong.

But didn’t/couldn’t confirm the current numbers?

Albanian Hibs
12-01-2019, 03:13 PM
Wondering if this could perhaps be moved to the Friday evening rather than the Sunday...

I hope so

hibee_girl
15-01-2019, 11:19 AM
Been confirmed for the Friday night (the 8th) at 7.45pm

Steven79
15-01-2019, 11:27 AM
I booked a room in Livingston as I assumed this game would be moved to the Friday night as I'm going to the Scotland game the next day, looks like it's paid off.

The 90+2
15-01-2019, 12:04 PM
Friday night? Epic! :thumbsup:

lyonhibs
15-01-2019, 12:05 PM
Bit of a win on the Rangers game rescheduling. Coming home that weekend with a bit of luck, landing earlier in the day on the Friday. Nice swally in the offing :agree: