PDA

View Full Version : NHC Wolves v Liverpool

Lago
07-01-2019, 08:18 PM
Watching this is like watching a trading session, really poor.

GlesgaeHibby
07-01-2019, 08:19 PM
Watching this is like watching a trading session, really poor.

Awful viewing so far. Expected better from these two teams.

GlesgaeHibby
07-01-2019, 08:23 PM
Milner made a total arse of that.

PatHead
07-01-2019, 08:25 PM
Liverpool in free fall now. Fist Manchester City, now Wolves.

😂

Lago
07-01-2019, 08:26 PM
Marginal improvement since the goal, well taken goal.

Frazerbob
07-01-2019, 08:31 PM
Reading Liverpool fan posts on FB and most fans would be happy to get knocked out. 4th place is a bigger ‘trophy’ than the cup. Sums up English football these days.

theonlywayisup
07-01-2019, 08:36 PM
Did I hear that Liverpool have a 16 year old playing in defence?

Lago
07-01-2019, 08:36 PM
Reading Liverpool fan posts on FB and most fans would be happy to get knocked out. 4th place is a bigger ‘trophy’ than the cup. Sums up English football these days.

Was once one of the best tournaments in the world, totally devalued by the big time Charlie's in the EPL. All started years ago when Man. Utd pulled out to play club world cup game. Shameful.

Tynie01011973
07-01-2019, 08:38 PM

The 'MAGIC' of the FA Cup disappeared years ago.

All the EPL teams and most Championship clubs cngaf about it- it's all about the honeypot of the promised land of TV money, unfortunately 😐

Billy Whizz
Was once one of the best tournaments in the world, totally devalued by the big time Charlie's in the EPL. All started years ago when Man. Utd pulled out to play club world cup game. Shameful.

Some of the attendances over the weekend have been shocking

I’m hoping we play out strongest team against elgin

Scouse Hibee
Did I hear that Liverpool have a 16 year old playing in defence?

Yeah Lovren went off injured early doors.

theonlywayisup
07-01-2019, 08:39 PM
Hadn't realised that Shearer was twice a losing cup finalist with Newcastle United.

Can't recall Newcastle United getting to a final when he was there.

jacomo
07-01-2019, 08:39 PM

Tbf that makes sense, given the circumstances. The League has become Liverpool’s holy grail - I bet plenty of them would chuck the Champions League now too.

Billy Whizz
07-01-2019, 08:40 PM
Hadn't realised that Shearer was twice a losing cup finalist with Newcastle United.

Can't recall Newcastle United getting to a final when he was there.

Did they not lose 4-0 v someone, can’t remember the other one

stantonhibby
07-01-2019, 08:42 PM

I think they lost both 3-0....one to Man u and one to Arsenal.

2-0 defeats to both in 1998 & 99.

Lago
07-01-2019, 08:43 PM
Got hammered by Liverpool.

Frazerbob
07-01-2019, 08:45 PM
I was at Chelsea on Saturday. Forest fans were brilliant, sang the entire match despite getting beat easily. Home fans were a joke. Hardly celebrated the goals and I think it was about 40 minutes before I heard anyone swear FFS. Pretend football fans. Thought Chelsea were supposed to be mental? 😂

weecounty hibby
07-01-2019, 08:48 PM
I think that Newcastle have been runners up more than any other club. Dont think Shearer played in all of them mind. How **** is it in modern football that winning a trophy isnt seen as the be all and end all!?

stantonhibby
07-01-2019, 08:48 PM
Got hammered by Liverpool.

1974. 3-0 , Shankly's last game in charge

Lago
07-01-2019, 08:49 PM
I think that Newcastle have been runners up more than any other club. Dont think Shearer played in all of them mind. How **** is it in modern football that winning a trophy isnt seen as the be all and end all!?

Sad.

we are hibs
07-01-2019, 08:50 PM

Especially for teams like spurs Newcastle and Leicester. Its not as if they win trophies every year. Their fans would surely rather a cup win than playing weakened teams

brianmc
07-01-2019, 08:53 PM
When teams would rather finish 17th in the Premier League than win the oldest cup competition in the world you know it's not about the fans or the football anymore. It's just cash cash cash...... And the truly depressing thing is that this generation of fans have been brainwashed to believe it!

BoomtownHibees
07-01-2019, 08:55 PM
1-1

Pretty Boy
07-01-2019, 08:56 PM
What a goal that is. Almost no backlift.

Klopp looks gutted. Think he could do without another FA Cup game, replay or otherwise.

theonlywayisup
07-01-2019, 08:56 PM
1974. 3-0 , Shankly's last game in charge

Don't think Shearer played in that game.

cabbageandribs1875
07-01-2019, 08:58 PM
odds of 11/2 for a liverpool win at HT was just too good to miss out on

stantonhibby
07-01-2019, 08:59 PM
Don't think Shearer played in that game.

Yeah I know.....i was replying to another poster who said they got hammered by Liverpool

hibee_girl
2-1 Wolves

overdrive
What another goal 2-1.

cabbageandribs1875
07-01-2019, 09:00 PM
merseyside huddies

Sir David Gray
07-01-2019, 09:00 PM
Boom :greengrin

cabbageandribs1875
07-01-2019, 09:01 PM
the boy must think he's Mallan

we are hibs
07-01-2019, 09:06 PM
Let's hope millwall draw West ham in the draw after the game.

Pretty Boy
07-01-2019, 09:16 PM
Some save there by Ruddy. He definitely got a finger on that even if the ref disagrees.

Lago
07-01-2019, 09:28 PM
Some save there by Ruddy. He definitely got a finger on that even if the ref disagrees.
Did he play for Motherwell sometime ago?

HoboHarry
07-01-2019, 09:31 PM
Yes he did......

hibsbollah
07-01-2019, 09:32 PM

sshhh. We all have to pretend its a fantastic competition.

BullsCloseHibs
07-01-2019, 09:33 PM
All this nonsense playing younger players then having to bring on the heavyweights cause yer getting gubbed. Makes the competition look stupid imo. It's clear that the Klopp wants to win this game, so why did he not play the big guns early on? They and the other clubs deserve all they get!

BullsCloseHibs
07-01-2019, 09:34 PM

It's a more exciting competition than the EPL or CL. 100%.

cabbageandribs1875
07-01-2019, 09:35 PM
liverpool can now concentrate on securing a top four spot in the league

Billy Whizz
07-01-2019, 09:35 PM

Was the Motherwell goalie in the 6-6 game

bodhibs
07-01-2019, 09:36 PM
Why don't teams want to win a trophy anymore?

Sir David Gray
07-01-2019, 09:37 PM
Full time Wolves 2-1 Liverpool

Did I hear correctly that it's 1 trophy in 13 years? :tee hee:

BullsCloseHibs
07-01-2019, 09:37 PM
Tattie bye Liverpool 😘

3pm
07-01-2019, 09:38 PM
Go Cathro!

bodhibs
07-01-2019, 09:38 PM
[QUOTE=Sir David Gray;5657318]Full time Wolves 2-1 Liverpool

Did I hear correctly that it's 1 trophy in 13 years? :tee hee:[/QUOT

BullsCloseHibs
07-01-2019, 09:39 PM
Why don't teams want to win a trophy anymore?

So most can concentrate on finishing in the Europa League (and field their reserve teams again (WTF?))!!!

BullsCloseHibs
07-01-2019, 09:40 PM
[QUOTE=Sir David Gray;5657318]Full time Wolves 2-1 Liverpool

Did I hear correctly that it's 1 trophy in 13 years? :tee hee:[/QUOT

that's POOR!!!!

bodhibs
07-01-2019, 09:40 PM
So most can concentrate on finishing in the Europa League (and field their reserve teams again (WTF?))!!!

Hhmmmm

HoboHarry
07-01-2019, 09:43 PM
Hope Scouse Hibby's dug is hiding safely under the bed out of range of his boot.......

Hibeesmad
07-01-2019, 09:44 PM
Cracks starting to form for Liverpool

Lago
Pleased for Wolves, putting that team out was just pure arrogance on Liverpool's part.

greenpaper55
The plan for a lot of clubs seems to be to play fringe players and give your regulars a night off but all that happens is you have to bring on a few of your top players to rescue the game. On top of that you might get a replay so you have an extra game anyway-nuts !

Baader
07-01-2019, 09:45 PM
Especially for teams like spurs Newcastle and Leicester. Its not as if they win trophies every year. Their fans would surely rather a cup win than playing weakened teams

Yeah. I remember arguing with a Newcastle fan at work (a proper Geordie) after they got dumped out the FA Cup in 2012. Told me it was all about making fourth and the Champions League. They were good that season and ended up in the Europa League places. I told him no-one will remember they made Champions League groups in 30 years but the fans would never forget if they won the FA Cup. Pointed out he'd never seen them win a trophy which quickly shut him up. Ridiculous.

MWHIBBIES
07-01-2019, 09:45 PM

Certainly looked like it at the weekend, some brilliant results. Don't know why you're so bitter towards the FA cup, not a boring game in it all weekend.

PatHead
07-01-2019, 09:46 PM
When did Liverpool last lose 2 big games back to back?

Sir David Gray
07-01-2019, 09:47 PM
FA Cup draw about to be made. Scouse, Chris Tarrant's got a new show on Channel 5 about railways. :greengrin

Sir David Gray
07-01-2019, 09:52 PM
Arsenal v Manchester Utd

cabbageandribs1875
07-01-2019, 09:54 PM
interesting

Barnet v Brentford

The Bees v The Bees :greengrin

monktonharp
08-01-2019, 01:14 AM
who did Acc. Stanley get? pished masel laughin' when 'pool got emptied.

IWasThere2016
08-01-2019, 01:22 AM
who did Acc. Stanley get? pished masel laughin' when 'pool got emptied.

Home to winners of Soton/Derby

hibsbollah
08-01-2019, 01:48 AM
Certainly looked like it at the weekend, some brilliant results. Don't know why you're so bitter towards the FA cup, not a boring game in it all weekend.

Bitter?

Not at all. I just remember when big teams wanted to win it. The results were 'brilliant' because the likes of Leicester left almost all their best players at home or on the bench. Pathetic when they have no chance of winning anything else. A lot of people seem to agree with me.

BILLYHIBS
08-01-2019, 07:32 AM
I wonder if Klopp is happy or angry his team is out of the FA Cup?

I feel sorry for the travelling fans

:dunno:

MWHIBBIES
08-01-2019, 07:41 AM
Bitter?

Not at all. I just remember when big teams wanted to win it. The results were 'brilliant' because the likes of Leicester left almost all their best players at home or on the bench. Pathetic when they have no chance of winning anything else. A lot of people seem to agree with me.The big teams win it every year though? How do they manage that if they don't want to? Its perfectly reasonable to rest players during this ridiculously busy period in England. Leicester have won as many major trophies as us during the last 20 years so I'd hardly say they have no chance.

SouthMoroccoStu
08-01-2019, 07:44 AM
I wonder if Klopp is happy or angry his team is out of the FA Cup?

I feel sorry for the travelling fans

:dunno:

Most Liverpool fans I know see the fa cup as a “distraction”, most generally don’t seem bothered

They want the premier league

James310
08-01-2019, 08:19 AM
The big teams win it every year though? How do they manage that if they don't want to? Its perfectly reasonable to rest players during this ridiculously busy period in England. Leicester have won as many major trophies as us during the last 20 years so I'd hardly say they have no chance.

Since 1995 the FA Cup has been won by Chelsea, Man U, Man City, Arsenal and Liverpool. Only in 2 year's has not one of those teams won it (Wigan and Portsmouth) So yes, the big teams do tend to win it.

BILLYHIBS
08-01-2019, 08:25 AM
Most Liverpool fans I know see the fa cup as a “distraction”, most generally don’t seem bothered

They want the premier league

Hmmmm

I think Man City have it in their locker to step up a gear when required especially now they are starting to get their players back similiar to Celtic in Scotland

Sir David Gray
08-01-2019, 09:53 AM
We have actually won more trophies in the last 13 years than Liverpool. :faf:

hibsbollah
08-01-2019, 10:17 AM
The big teams win it every year though? How do they manage that if they don't want to? Its perfectly reasonable to rest players during this ridiculously busy period in England. Leicester have won as many major trophies as us during the last 20 years so I'd hardly say they have no chance.

They have no chance of winning the league this season, though, do they? That's my point. Yet they still make seven changes for the Cup and leave Vardy and Schmiecal on the bench.

When i was watching football as a kid in the 70s and 80s all the top teams played their strongest sides in the Cup. It was as important as the league. Now, none of the top sides do. That demeans the tournament and its history in my eyes. How could it not?

danhibees1875
08-01-2019, 10:30 AM
They have no chance of winning the league this season, though, do they? That's my point. Yet they still make seven changes for the Cup and leave Vardy and Schmiecal on the bench.

When i was watching football as a kid in the 70s and 80s all the top teams played their strongest sides in the Cup. It was as important as the league. Now, none of the top sides do. That demeans the tournament and its history in my eyes. How could it not?

:agree:

I can kind of see why Liverpool have done it given their schedule and unprecedented start to the season, but it's disappointing to see none the less.

Why the likes of Leicester are doing so though... :confused:

I expect Hibs to go full strength against Elgin on the 19th. If we were in the middle of a tough fixture backlog and had found ourselves in a position to win the league (never mind still being in europe) then I would maybe change my mind on that.

J-C
08-01-2019, 10:37 AM
Liverpool still had a fairly strong side out, only the RB and left winger were the only real youngsters to start, the pundits summed it up 3-4 of those players looked like they couldn't be arsed. This happened a lot at the weekend, too many teams mistreating the cup seriously. As an aside, the young Liverpool CB showed up his more so called senior pros last night.

hibsbollah
08-01-2019, 10:47 AM
Liverpool still had a fairly strong side out, only the RB and left winger were the only real youngsters to start, the pundits summed it up 3-4 of those players looked like they couldn't be arsed. This happened a lot at the weekend, too many teams mistreating the cup seriously. As an aside, the young Liverpool CB showed up his more so called senior pros last night.

:agree:A championship calibre player playing at 100% will usually win his personal battles against a premier league calibre player playing at 80%.

Johnny_Leith
08-01-2019, 11:21 AM
:agree:A championship calibre player playing at 100% will usually win his personal battles against a premier league calibre player playing at 80%.

Wolves don't have many championship standard players. I'd say most of their squad is premiership standard quite comfortably.

hibsbollah
08-01-2019, 01:22 PM
Wolves don't have many championship standard players. I'd say most of their squad is premiership standard quite comfortably.

That true, but I wasn't agreeing about the Liverpool game in exclusion, more his general point;
This happened a lot at the weekend, too many teams mistreating the cup.

Johnny_Leith
08-01-2019, 01:37 PM
That true, but I wasn't agreeing about the Liverpool game in exclusion, more his general point;
This happened a lot at the weekend, too many teams mistreating the cup.

So you were, my bad. I'd agree then. I guess that is what sets players really apart, application and attitude. A few of the upsets from the previous round saw several teams rotate, and now we see why these players are squad players only rather than regular starters.

MWHIBBIES
08-01-2019, 02:12 PM

Football in the 70s and 80s was nothing close to the intensity of football in 2019 though. 50 games a season like this will cause seriously problems unless players are rested. Leicester still had more than enough to win the game. When do subs and reserves ever get a chance if the first 11 plays every week?

Hibs rested a few players in the first round against Raith in 2016, did it feel devalued when Gray was lifting it 5 months later? Did it ****.

I also find it pretty hard to believe top sides didn't rest players against 3rd and 4th tier sides back in the 70s and 80s.

blackpoolhibs
08-01-2019, 02:42 PM
When i first started watching football, i think we were allowed either one or two subs. :confused: Now clubs have 90 odd players and you are allowed to name 7 i think subs.

Do players actually play more games these days than players used to play in the 60s and 70s? :dunno:

Billy Whizz
08-01-2019, 04:40 PM
When i first started watching football, i think we were allowed either one or two subs. :confused: Now clubs have 90 odd players and you are allowed to name 7 i think subs.

Do players actually play more games these days than players used to play in the 60s and 70s? :dunno:

The top teams will play a lot more games, Champions/ Europa Keague etc Trying to remember how many was in a league when we only played home and away once
Think professionals would argue that the pace of the game now is so much faster, hence rotation happens regularly

hibsbollah
08-01-2019, 04:50 PM
The top teams will play a lot more games, Champions/ Europa Keague etc Trying to remember how many was in a league when we only played home and away once
Think professionals would argue that the pace of the game now is so much faster, hence rotation happens regularly

In the 70s in the old English First Division teams played 42 games to the current 38. There were also league cup and FA cup replays that dont take place now (Sheff Wed 6 replays against Chelsea in the 80s stick in my mind!), and there were still European Cup games, Cup winners cup games, UEFA cup, things like the Anglo Italian Cup as well. The Champions League cup format gives the top teams six extra games these days, thats a difference, fair enough. I dont have exact stats, but there is not a lot of difference between games played today and in the 70s, if any at all.

Billy Whizz
08-01-2019, 05:01 PM
In the 70s in the old English First Division teams played 42 games to the current 38. There were also league cup and FA cup replays that dont take place now (Sheff Wed 6 replays against Chelsea in the 80s stick in my mind!), and there were still European Cup games, Cup winners cup games, UEFA cup, things like the Anglo Italian Cup as well. The Champions League cup format gives the top teams six extra games these days, thats a difference, fair enough. I dont have exact stats, but there is not a lot of difference between games played today and in the 70s, if any at all.

Sorry I was thinking more about the Scottish clubs. Used to play 34, now 38 games. But presume as you say, add it all up, may come out around the same for the top teams

hibsbollah
08-01-2019, 05:03 PM
Sorry I was thinking more about the Scottish clubs. Used to play 34, now 38 games. But presume as you say, add it all up, may come out around the same for the top teams

I think thats the case, yeah. A bawhair either way:agree:

weecounty hibby
08-01-2019, 05:08 PM

But think about how difficult it must be too play on bowling greens, with lightweight balls, lightweight boots and defenders who aren't allowed to "lay down a marker" anymore. Also imagine having full time physios, dieticians, sports scientists, winter training camps in hot climates. It must be a total nightmare nowadays being a multi millionaire footballer.
Remember places like The Baseball Ground and the state of the pitch, Norman Hunter booting you up and down, balls taking on water, boots that weighed as much as your foot. Fish supper prior to the game and a few pints after followed with a white pudding supper.

hibsbollah
08-01-2019, 05:15 PM
But think about how difficult it must be too play on bowling greens, with lightweight balls, lightweight boots and defenders who aren't allowed to "lay down a marker" anymore. Also imagine having full time physios, dieticians, sports scientists, winter training camps in hot climates. It must be a total nightmare nowadays being a multi millionaire footballer.
Remember places like The Baseball Ground and the state of the pitch, Norman Hunter booting you up and down, balls taking on water, boots that weighed as much as your foot. Fish supper prior to the game and a few pints after followed with a white pudding supper.

One of the joys of having so much old footage easily accessible now is you realise how bad the pitches were in the 70s and 80s, there was a game on the other day involving Man U and i'm sure it was 80%+ sand, how they even passed the ball ten yards in a straight line i have no idea :greengrin

My boy is playing at the Oriam this weekend, its like a totally difficult sport in comparison.

blackpoolhibs
08-01-2019, 05:39 PM
I think thats the case, yeah. A bawhair either way:agree:

Yip, i dont think there's much in it. :agree:

:greengrin

McD
08-01-2019, 09:32 PM

:agree: 9 full internationals started the game for Liverpool, including 2 English, 2 Belgian, 1 Spanish and 1 Brazilian.

jacomo
08-01-2019, 10:47 PM
:agree: 9 full internationals started the game for Liverpool, including 2 English, 2 Belgian, 1 Spanish and 1 Brazilian.

Yes but few teams can seamlessly maintain their form when the manager makes 9 changes from one game to the next. Certainly not when playing against high calibre opponents (and Wolves really are good).

Liverpool chucked it. There is a good reason for that, and in the circumstances I think it’s understandable. But they chucked it.

J-C
08-01-2019, 10:54 PM

We've also had internationalist too, 1 Greek, 2 Australian, 1 Dutch, 1 Irish, 1 American, 1 Israeli, 1 Hungarian and 1 Lithuanian oh and 1 Scottish ( Whittaker ) and we've not been setting the heather on fire this season, so having internationals means absolutely nowt.

Iggy Pope
08-01-2019, 11:06 PM
We've also had internationalist too, 1 Greek, 2 Australian, 1 Dutch, 1 Irish, 1 American, 1 Israeli, 1 Hungarian and 1 Lithuanian oh and 1 Scottish ( Whittaker ) and we've not been setting the heather on fire this season, so having internationals means absolutely nowt.

I reckon 2 English, 2 Belgian, 1 Spanish and 1 Brazilian internationalist would see us pissing this league myself!

Iggy Pope
08-01-2019, 11:09 PM
One of the joys of having so much old footage easily accessible now is you realise how bad the pitches were in the 70s and 80s, there was a game on the other day involving Man U and i'm sure it was 80%+ sand, how they even passed the ball ten yards in a straight line i have no idea :greengrin

My boy is playing at the Oriam this weekend, its like a totally difficult sport in comparison.

He wants to try a take-on in a South Bridge playground. That'd sort him out. :wink:

Haymaker
09-01-2019, 02:45 AM

:agree:

#MFGA

hibsbollah
09-01-2019, 07:55 AM
He wants to try a take-on in a South Bridge playground. That'd sort him out. :wink:

:greengrin

calumhibee1
09-01-2019, 08:12 AM

3 Australian and 2 Scottish that should be, Boyle, Mac and Milligan and Whittaker and Lewis for Scotland :aok: and also a Nigerian :greengrin

J-C
09-01-2019, 10:00 AM
3 Australian and 2 Scottish that should be, Boyle, Mac and Milligan and Whittaker and Lewis for Scotland :aok: and also a Nigerian :greengrin

Forgot about Boyle and Efe, proves my point though having international players means nowt.

calumhibee1
09-01-2019, 10:13 AM
Forgot about Boyle and Efe, proves my point though having international players means nowt.

Yup, agree with that.