PDA

View Full Version : Would you welcome a cap on the number of foreign players?

matty_f
07-01-2019, 07:04 PM
If memory serves me well, there used to be a limit on the number of foreign players permitted in a team - I can't recall if that was just for European games or if it also included domestic ties.

I think it was 4 foreigners per team, possibly up until the time that Bosman happened (I'm not sure if that is right) and we saw an influx of foreigners into the game - arguably at the expense of Scottish talent.

With Brexit likely to alter employment conditions for foreigners, would you welcome a restriction on the number of foreign players each team was allowed to play?

Billy Whizz
07-01-2019, 07:08 PM
Last time around, if my memory serves me well, it was only in Europe where you had to play a min of 7 Scots, could be wrong though?
It will push up the cost of buying Scottish talent though

Think we’d need 2/3 years etc to see it through though

matty_f
07-01-2019, 07:19 PM
Last time around, if my memory serves me well, it was only in Europe where you had to play a min of 7 Scots, could be wrong though?
It will push up the cost of buying Scottish talent though

Think we’d need 2/3 years etc to see it through though

I think it would encourage clubs to produce and play better Scottish players.

The Modfather
07-01-2019, 07:24 PM
If memory serves me well, there used to be a limit on the number of foreign players permitted in a team - I can't recall if that was just for European games or if it also included domestic ties.

I think it was 4 foreigners per team, possibly up until the time that Bosman happened (I'm not sure if that is right) and we saw an influx of foreigners into the game - arguably at the expense of Scottish talent.

With Brexit likely to alter employment conditions for foreigners, would you welcome a restriction on the number of foreign players each team was allowed to play?

100%, we could still sign marquee foreign players but more care and attention to our youth systems could only benefit the national side.

I still think we have a culture that a foreign name automatically makes them better or more glamorous than a homegrown player. Squad fillers like Big Dave, as an example, do we really gain anything more than promoting a youngster to fill the same role of padding out the squad?

bingo70
07-01-2019, 07:25 PM
If you’re telling me I wouldn’t get that feeling excitement that i got when
we signed Pa Kujabi again I’d struggle to get behind that rule.

Every reasonable response in my head agrees it would be good for the game, I just love signing a foreign exotic sounding player though, especially a striker or fast winger.

Pretty Boy
07-01-2019, 07:28 PM
I like the idea but much like salary caps and so on it only works if there's a common consensus across the board to implement it. If Scotland goes it alone there's a risk of being left further behind in European competiton by clubs from countries signing the best players on merit rather than nationality.

I'm sure the original rule only applied in European competiton as it had quite an impact on Man Utd in the formative years of the Champions League as they often had to leave Peter Schmeichel out in favour of an additional foreigner outfield.

beensaidbefore
07-01-2019, 08:16 PM

Iirc Gareth Evans and Michael O'Neil counted as foreign players. Imagine that now. And I think it was only 3 on the pitch at one time.

Edit: found this. Quite decent summary. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/4528732.stm

500miles
07-01-2019, 08:33 PM
Has really reduced the quality of football in Russia apparently.

Kojock
07-01-2019, 08:33 PM
I like the idea but much like salary caps and so on it only works if there's a common consensus across the board to implement it. If Scotland goes it alone there's a risk of being left further behind in European competiton by clubs from countries signing the best players on merit rather than nationality.

I'm sure the original rule only applied in European competiton as it had quite an impact on Man Utd in the formative years of the Champions League as they often had to leave Peter Schmeichel out in favour of an additional foreigner outfield.

Pre-Bosman, clubs were under a "three-plus-two" rule in European competition, meaning they could name no more than three foreign players in their squad for games on the continent, with an additional two who had progressed through the club's academy.

And in 1994, with UEFA ruling that Welsh and Scottish players counted as foreigners to English sides, then-Manchester United manager Ferguson was infamously forced to replace first-choice goalkeeper Peter Schmeichel with Gary Walsh in the 4-0 defeat by Barcelona at the Nou Camp in the Champions League group stages.

SouthMoroccoStu
07-01-2019, 08:38 PM
Over 20 years without an appearance at a tournament for the national side suggests something has to be done

I would take it further. 7 home grown player - 3 of which should be youth system/ academy graduates

Would stop the old firm just buying any decent Scottish player, not that you’d notice

Billy Whizz
07-01-2019, 08:41 PM
Over 20 years without an appearance at a tournament for the national side suggests something has to be done

I would take it further. 7 home grown player - 3 of which should be youth system/ academy graduates

Would stop the old firm just buying any decent Scottish player, not that you’d notice

They’d just hoover up all the best academy players

SouthMoroccoStu
07-01-2019, 08:48 PM
They’d just hoover up all the best academy players

Would parents be as willing to move or travel to Glasgow when all teams would offer the same, if not greater, opportunity?

Forza Fred
07-01-2019, 08:54 PM
What would the definition of ‘foreign’ be though?

If Martin Boyle had played one more competitive international, would he be deemed ‘foreign’-?

‘Place of birth’ is no longer the simple identifier that it was 50 or so years ago.

hibbysam
07-01-2019, 10:10 PM
Not for me. If your good enough nationality shouldn’t matter. It’s up to our youngsters to get better and push their way in. Our very own are managing now, and if they keep improving they’ll keep getting rewarded. If we don’t produce any then we have to look elsewhere.

Sammy7nil
07-01-2019, 10:15 PM
Pre-Bosman, clubs were under a "three-plus-two" rule in European competition, meaning they could name no more than three foreign players in their squad for games on the continent, with an additional two who had progressed through the club's academy.

And in 1994, with UEFA ruling that Welsh and Scottish players counted as foreigners to English sides, then-Manchester United manager Ferguson was infamously forced to replace first-choice goalkeeper Peter Schmeichel with Gary Walsh in the 4-0 defeat by Barcelona at the Nou Camp in the Champions League group stages.

That's Baws Man - No it is true i tell ya :greengrin:wink:

Callum_62
07-01-2019, 10:16 PM
Copy whatever Croatia are doing

Which i dont think is restricting peoples right to work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Callum_62
07-01-2019, 10:34 PM
So we make our own rules?

[emoji848]

MWHIBBIES
07-01-2019, 10:48 PM
Copy whatever Croatia are doing

Which i dont think is restricting peoples right to work

Croatian football is as corrupt and shady as it gets. Definitely not a good example to follow despite their international success.

Callum_62
07-01-2019, 10:51 PM
Croatian football is as corrupt and shady as it gets. Definitely not a good example to follow despite their international success.

Copy the parts that helps them create world class footballers and punch way way above there weight relative to there population

Saturday Boy
07-01-2019, 10:53 PM
So we make our own rules?

[emoji848]

Sorry, I’ve managed to delete my original post while editing it. It’s an age thing.

What it should have said (short version) is that, yes I agree that we should be looking at what Croatia and other “small countries” are doing, but being in the EU gives them a flexibility that we will loose. Scottish football will be well down the list when the post Brexit visa and employment rules are drawn up.

I’ll never get the hang of opening a text while trying to do something else on my phone.

Callum_62
07-01-2019, 10:56 PM
Sorry, I’ve managed to delete my original post while editing it. It’s an age thing.

What it should have said (short version) is that, yes I agree that we should be looking at what Croatia and other “small countries” are doing, but being in the EU gives them a flexibility that we will loose. Scottish football will be well down the list when the post Brexit visa and employment rules are drawn up.

I’ll never get the hang of opening a text while trying to do something else on my phone.

[emoji106][emoji2532]

We dont necessarily lose the right - its now in the Gov hands to decide what they do. FoM doesnt have to be abolished - but it will im sure

Saturday Boy
07-01-2019, 11:01 PM
[emoji106][emoji2532]

We dont necessarily lose the right - its now in the Gov hands to decide what they do. FoM doesnt have to be abolished - but it will im sure

True.

I can remember back in the 60s and 70s, many top European clubs had Yugoslavian players. In those days, they were only allowed to play abroad after a certain age.

There must be something about the coaching or set up that works, to have produced good footballers consistently over the years.

NAE NOOKIE
08-01-2019, 01:51 AM

If the top English teams were limited to 4 foreign players they would have to pick a team from the catering staff lol.

Seriously though … With our best talent already being hoovered up by English clubs and that not looking like its going to end any time soon, if we were limited to the number of foreign players we could sign I can only imagine what that would leave us with. Yes it would force us to field home grown talent, but whether or not it would improve the overall game is open to debate.

Want to sexy up football:

No transfers between clubs from different countries until a player is at least 24 years old or he has reached 10 international caps in competitive games, whichever comes first.

A worldwide wages cap of 50,000 per week …. or a cap on the amount clubs can spend on wages, as they do in American football.

No seeding in club or international competitions.

That might not do much for the likes of Scottish clubs, but it would sure as hell set the cat amongst the pigeons in Europe :greengrin

Haymaker
08-01-2019, 02:11 AM
Copy the parts that helps them create world class footballers and punch way way above there weight relative to there population

Copying is what we've been doing for years. What works for one does not work for another.

Callum_62
08-01-2019, 06:12 AM
Copying is what we've been doing for years. What works for one does not work for another.

We have obviously been copying from the wrong places then

Phil MaGlass
08-01-2019, 09:31 AM
If the top English teams were limited to 4 foreign players they would have to pick a team from the catering staff lol.

Seriously though … With our best talent already being hoovered up by English clubs and that not looking like its going to end any time soon, if we were limited to the number of foreign players we could sign I can only imagine what that would leave us with. Yes it would force us to field home grown talent, but whether or not it would improve the overall game is open to debate.

Want to sexy up football:

No transfers between clubs from different countries until a player is at least 24 years old or he has reached 10 international caps in competitive games, whichever comes first.

A worldwide wages cap of 50,000 per week …. or a cap on the amount clubs can spend on wages, as they do in American football.

No seeding in club or international competitions.

That might not do much for the likes of Scottish clubs, but it would sure as hell set the cat amongst the pigeons in Europe :greengrin

I have always been for the no seeding in club or int comps.

MyJo
08-01-2019, 11:15 AM
Don't think there needs to be a cap on foreign players as opposed to a minimum requirement for Scottish players within first team squads.

Impose a limit to the number of players teams can have within their first team squad and eligible to play in league games with a requirement for 25% of those players being Scottish (as in, eligible to play for the Scottish National Team).

so a first team squad of 32 players needs to have 8 Scottish players in it for example.

Kojock
08-01-2019, 11:44 AM
That's Baws Man - No it is true i tell ya :greengrin:wink:

Bit late in pulling the Christmas cracker lol

Haymaker
08-01-2019, 12:56 PM
We have obviously been copying from the wrong places then

While I will agree something needs to change, we cannot just copy and paste what X country is doing. We're well behind, no doubt, but we can't just expect to copy and get results.

where'stheslope
08-01-2019, 03:13 PM
Are you saying Scottish Football is any different?
Watch our forum, its all about corruption in our country!!!!

RoslinInstHibby
08-01-2019, 03:22 PM
Has really reduced the quality of football in Russia apparently.

was just about to say the same thing:agree: