PDA

View Full Version : Nightshift

MagicSwirlingShip
06-01-2019, 09:35 PM
Looks like I’ll be starting a new job before the end of the month, 11pm - 7am. Wondering if any Hibees out there have any tips on working nights?

I’ve done some night work in the past and I usually end up sleeping my days away, getting nothing done outside of work.

Just Jimmy
06-01-2019, 09:38 PM
i work shifts. Nights I actually find easy. I struggle with earlys and trying to go sleep early. when I come off nights I usually go right to bed. mine are 9pm til 7am so I go to bed about 830am and get up about 230pm. on my last night I sleep 830 til about 2ish and then get up and just go to bed earlier.

it helps that it's not permanent nights though.

what is your line of work?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Jay
06-01-2019, 09:39 PM
Say goodbye to any form of sleeping pattern you ever had, youll either sleep for scotland or wont sleep at all, im the latter. I do a mix of days and nights in the same week though so I never stood a chance. I sound grumpy, thats because im shattered :greengrin

11-7 isnt too bad though. You should get a bit of day before you go to work

MagicSwirlingShip
06-01-2019, 09:44 PM
I’m going to be constant Nightshift so don’t have to worry about changing back to dayshift / backshift.

After years of starting work around lunchtime I really struggle with standard dayshift ie 8am starts, I find myself half asleep until lunchtime and generally pretty unhappy.

My Mrs works 9-5 so the biggest concern is still having time to see her, fitting in the gym and some daylight if possible. Also things like what time to eat etc.

Scouse Hibee
06-01-2019, 09:46 PM
I detested nights, I started them in the summer months years ago, came home at 8am to lovely sunny days so invariably stayed up far too long and never got into a sleeping pattern for months which totally knackered me. So.....my advice is get into a regular sleeping pattern straight away. don’t be tempted to stay up to do other things and you will be fine.

Radium
06-01-2019, 10:26 PM
Having worked various shifts over the past 25 years I quite enjoy nights. The one thing I have found is that as I have got older, recovering from the nights is harder.

I try a short (4hr) sleep and catch up the next night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hibbyradge
06-01-2019, 10:30 PM
Hermit Crab is your man.

MSK
07-01-2019, 05:24 AM
Im similar to Mrs S, I mostly do 9-5 Mon to Thurs then nightshift 10-8 on the Friday, normally I get away between 6-7, home for a coffee then at most just a couple of hours sleep, the adrenalin of working in a busy A&E dept carries me through the shift then the come down helps me get a couple of hours, Ive never managed more than a couple of hours, been doing nights on and off for over 15 years

Hermit Crab
07-01-2019, 08:42 AM
Go to bed as soon as you can, after your shift have a quick bite to eat (if you like) but don't bugger about in the house, quick munch then just get to bed.

Buy blackout blinds or curtains, they are a god send, especially during the light summer months.

If you have a bedroom at the quiet side of your house/flat then sleep in there during the day

On your day off get up about lunchtime and stay up then you'll sleep at night meaning you get to enjoy your day off.

It might not seem like it but you get used to it, I've been doing permanent nights now for over 3 years. I love it, driving to/from work is great as theres very little traffic.

Where are you going to be working?

MagicSwirlingShip
07-01-2019, 09:55 AM
Go to bed as soon as you can, after your shift have a quick bite to eat (if you like) but don't bugger about in the house, quick munch then just get to bed.

Buy blackout blinds or curtains, they are a god send, especially during the light summer months.

If you have a bedroom at the quiet side of your house/flat then sleep in there during the day

On your day off get up about lunchtime and stay up then you'll sleep at night meaning you get to enjoy your day off.

It might not seem like it but you get used to it, I've been doing permanent nights now for over 3 years. I love it, driving to/from work is great as theres very little traffic.

Where are you going to be working?

Thanks Hermit, some great tips here.

My new work is only a 15 minute walk from my flat so can get home pretty sharpish.

I was thinking of doing my gym sessions in the morning after work but I’ll try and fit these in evening time and just get home for a kip after reading your advice.

Rocky
07-01-2019, 11:12 AM
I don't work nights so just curious - is there a reason it's better to sleep straight after a nightshift? People who work days get up just before work then have their free time after work usually, I thought maybe it'd be same on nights? Just thinking that especially in winter there's not a lot of daylight around so I could see the benefit of making the most of the daylight time after your shift then maybe bed at 3pm, up at 10pm, shower and go to work?

Speedy
07-01-2019, 12:11 PM
I don't work nights so just curious - is there a reason it's better to sleep straight after a nightshift? People who work days get up just before work then have their free time after work usually, I thought maybe it'd be same on nights? Just thinking that especially in winter there's not a lot of daylight around so I could see the benefit of making the most of the daylight time after your shift then maybe bed at 3pm, up at 10pm, shower and go to work?

Don't have any experience of nights so happy to be corrected but could be to do with seeing family/friends between 5 & 10?

Rocky
07-01-2019, 12:31 PM
Don't have any experience of nights so happy to be corrected but could be to do with seeing family/friends between 5 & 10?

Aye that would make sense right enough. Don't tell my wife and kids that that thought never crossed my mind!

Just Jimmy
07-01-2019, 03:45 PM
I don't work nights so just curious - is there a reason it's better to sleep straight after a nightshift? People who work days get up just before work then have their free time after work usually, I thought maybe it'd be same on nights? Just thinking that especially in winter there's not a lot of daylight around so I could see the benefit of making the most of the daylight time after your shift then maybe bed at 3pm, up at 10pm, shower and go to work?for me it's usually you are tired after you finish so it's easy to sleep and even if you wake up early you've slept for 5 or 6ish hours. then I get the chance between 4 and 8 to see my partner etc.

I also work a mix of shifts so I try and just sleep when I'm tired too.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Hermit Crab
07-01-2019, 05:39 PM
Thanks Hermit, some great tips here.

My new work is only a 15 minute walk from my flat so can get home pretty sharpish.

I was thinking of doing my gym sessions in the morning after work but I’ll try and fit these in evening time and just get home for a kip after reading your advice.

Another thing is if your new job is hard graft then you'll have no trouble sleeping when you get home as you'll be knackered from your shift.

Jones28
07-01-2019, 07:25 PM

For me it was because my days were reversed. I worked 6pm-6am for about 10 weeks non stop. I would go to work, do my 12 hours then go home and go straight to bed, wake up about 3 and then head to work after the gym.

I really enjoyed it but I wouldn't want to do it again.

NORTHERNHIBBY
07-01-2019, 09:40 PM
When I had to do night shift work, I struggled at the weekends to start with. My working week started Sunday evening at eleven. The nature of the work meant suiting up for a cleanroom at the start of the shift and then suiting down at the end. During the winter months we didn't see any sunshine or natural daylight and that had an odd effect. But you get used to it.

MSK
08-01-2019, 05:19 AM
When I had to do night shift work, I struggled at the weekends to start with. My working week started Sunday evening at eleven. The nature of the work meant suiting up for a cleanroom at the start of the shift and then suiting down at the end. During the winter months we didn't see any sunshine or natural daylight and that had an odd effect. But you get used to it.I think its down to the individual, I done a few night shifts when I worked at the Brewery, they were brutal, used to fall asleep on the bus home and when I got into bed I didnt get up until tea time. Nowadays I cope fine, normally a couple of hours is enough for me, up take the dog for a walk, shower then ready for the day ahead.

Jay
08-01-2019, 06:03 AM
I fall asleep on the bus home all the time. Tbf its a fairly long journey. Stupidly travelled in uniform once and a guy woke me up to tell me i did a sterling job and did i want wakened up when we got to the hospital. :rolleyes:

Danderhall Hibs
08-01-2019, 11:40 AM
I fall asleep on the bus home all the time. Tbf its a fairly long journey. Stupidly travelled in uniform once and a guy woke me up to tell me i did a sterling job and did i want wakened up when we got to the hospital. :rolleyes:

I thought you were going to say he was going to give you a row for wearing your uniform to/from work instead of changing in the hospital...:greengrin

Jay
08-01-2019, 01:51 PM
I thought you were going to say he was going to give you a row for wearing your uniform to/from work instead of changing in the hospital...:greengrin

Im classed as community so.its okay but its something i never do, cant even remember what happened that I did that day.

Hermit Crab
08-01-2019, 02:35 PM

Mrs S in her nurses uniform. What a sight for sore eyes. :greengrin

Jay
08-01-2019, 03:56 PM

Behave yersel, our uniforms are like tattie sacks.

Billy Whizz
08-01-2019, 03:58 PM

Nice to see you smiling HC

Hermit Crab
08-01-2019, 04:20 PM

Can't be that bad. :tee hee:

MSK
08-01-2019, 07:02 PM
Behave yersel, our uniforms are like tattie sacks.Well yours is 😆

Hermit Crab
09-01-2019, 07:02 AM

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190109/4a770074446165ac0bd49f02bec84441.jpg

Jay
09-01-2019, 07:04 AM
Well yours is 😆

How do you look **** hot in yours like?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190109/4a770074446165ac0bd49f02bec84441.jpg

If your comparing me to Hattie Jaques Ill hunt you down!

Hermit Crab
09-01-2019, 07:06 AM

If your comparing me to Hattie Jaques Ill hunt you down!

My uniform is **** hot. :aok:

Haha, ooooh matron!! :greengrin

Jay
09-01-2019, 07:08 AM
My uniform is **** hot. :aok:

Haha, ooooh matron!! :greengrin

This is what nightshift does for you people. :rolleyes:

Hermit Crab
09-01-2019, 07:09 AM
@Magic Swirling Ship, don't do what I'm doing after your nightshift. Sitting in the hotel watching Quincy ME on Itv4 and posting on hibs net. :greengrin

Hermit Crab
09-01-2019, 07:11 AM
This is what nightshift does for you people. :rolleyes:

Nightshift is brilliant, not for everyone though. I work with some who just can't cope.

MSK
09-01-2019, 08:46 AM

!Yes, I look smart as **** in my uniform 👍

Jay
09-01-2019, 08:55 AM
Yes, I look smart as **** in my uniform ��

Pleased for you. I just look like a tattie sack full of pockets. Mind you its huge on me too which doesnt help

MSK
09-01-2019, 09:40 AM
Pleased for you. I just look like a tattie sack full of pockets. Mind you its huge on me too which doesnt helpWe (Radiology) have switched from tunics to polo shirts, they fit much better and are far more comfortable and look better than the tunics, the trousers are straight leg (or baggy if thats your preference) so a lot smarter all round, Occ therapy and Physio have went the same way, not before time imo

Jay
09-01-2019, 10:14 AM
We (Radiology) have switched from tunics to polo shirts, they fit much better and are far more comfortable and look better than the tunics, the trousers are straight leg (or baggy if thats your preference) so a lot smarter all round, Occ therapy and Physio have went the same way, not before time imo

Oh i hate the polo shirts even more!

Hermit Crab
09-01-2019, 11:33 AM
From discussing nightshifts to NHS uniforms, only on Hibs.net. :greengrin

Jay
09-01-2019, 11:40 AM
From discussing nightshifts to NHS uniforms, only on Hibs.net. :greengrin

Well no woman should ever be forced to wear a polo shirt! It needs discussed :greengrin

MSK
09-01-2019, 07:59 PM
From discussing nightshifts to NHS uniforms, only on Hibs.net. :greengrinTrue, I wear scrubs on nightshift instead of a uniform, cant have blood, guts and piss on my good gear 😆

Killiehibbie
09-01-2019, 09:12 PM
Didn't mind it too much when I was single and life was work, sleep and boozer at weekends. For anybody trying to have any kind of family life nightshift is brutal.

Hermit Crab
10-01-2019, 03:11 AM
Didn't mind it too much when I was single and life was work, sleep and boozer at weekends. For anybody trying to have any kind of family life nightshift is brutal.

I have a mrs and a young son, I manage ok.

Killiehibbie
10-01-2019, 09:06 AM
I have a mrs and a young son, I manage ok.
Depends how many nights you have to do and how long a shift is. Wait until you're doing school runs, football training, after school clubs, swimming lessons, etc, etc.

.Sean.
10-01-2019, 11:42 AM
It looks like my work is going to start us on the continental 12-hour shift pattern. I’m currently on call every 3rd week so that weeks knackered anyway and the money being talked about is excellent so I’m pretty keen to get started. I’m maybe being naive but I have never had any trouble sleeping, could sleep for Scotland in fact. The operators are already on the same shift pattern and they seem to deal with it fine.

Allant1981
11-01-2019, 06:53 AM
I was constant night shift for a while in a previous job and hated it, I finished at 7 and was usually in bed for 8 and awake at about 1, tried staying awake longer but couldn't manage, plus with my Mrs working during the day and then not seeing my wee boy I decided enough was enough, took a pay cut and went Monday to Friday 9-5 back with the nhs, was the best thing I ever done and in hindsight should never have taken the job to start with, now see the family more and actually get to do stuff with them

MSK
11-01-2019, 07:33 AM
I was constant night shift for a while in a previous job and hated it, I finished at 7 and was usually in bed for 8 and awake at about 1, tried staying awake longer but couldn't manage, plus with my Mrs working during the day and then not seeing my wee boy I decided enough was enough, took a pay cut and went Monday to Friday 9-5 back with the nhs, was the best thing I ever done and in hindsight should never have taken the job to start with, now see the family more and actually get to do stuff with themWith the NHS there are many jobs that suit the individual, particularly clinics which run 9-5 Monday to Friday. There are though many jobs within the service that suck the life out of you, I do 0830 till 1630 Monday to Friday, 0900 till 1700, 0900 till 1930, night shifts then every 10 weeks I work 12 days straight without a day off, its the service though and I just have to get used to it, the hospital never shuts 🥺

TRC
11-01-2019, 08:36 AM
Work three shift, night 22-06, back shift 14-22, morning 06-14, apparently this is completely wrong way to go.Also type one diabetic. Plays havoc with blood sugar especially mornings. We go on a course about healthy lifestyle when working shifts. Most has been covered, but one of the things they say, that I've not seen, is try to not eat during night shift but if you must take something very light.

Allant1981
11-01-2019, 12:22 PM
With the NHS there are many jobs that suit the individual, particularly clinics which run 9-5 Monday to Friday. There are though many jobs within the service that suck the life out of you, I do 0830 till 1630 Monday to Friday, 0900 till 1700, 0900 till 1930, night shifts then every 10 weeks I work 12 days straight without a day off, its the service though and I just have to get used to it, the hospital never shuts 🥺

When I first worked for the NHS I worked a shift pattern and it wasn't so bad as the night shifts were every 4 or 5 weeks, going onto constant nights when I left killed me, suit some people but not me, mon-fri was the best thing that ever happened to me work wise!

Danderhall Hibs
11-01-2019, 01:54 PM
With the NHS there are many jobs that suit the individual, particularly clinics which run 9-5 Monday to Friday. There are though many jobs within the service that suck the life out of you, I do 0830 till 1630 Monday to Friday, 0900 till 1700, 0900 till 1930, night shifts then every 10 weeks I work 12 days straight without a day off, its the service though and I just have to get used to it, the hospital never shuts 🥺

At least nurses get to put their feet up on the Nightshift and read a book etc. Quite relaxing.

MSK
11-01-2019, 02:01 PM
At least nurses get to put their feet up on the Nightshift and read a book etc. Quite relaxing.Aye of course they do, the patients just do their own toileting, bed changing and medication, actually a waste of time and money having Nurses on night shift.

Jay
11-01-2019, 02:40 PM
At least nurses get to put their feet up on the Nightshift and read a book etc. Quite relaxing.

Correct. Thats why i fall asleep.on the bus home :na na:

Hibbyradge
11-01-2019, 03:34 PM

Candy crush. :agree:

Killiehibbie
11-01-2019, 04:40 PM
Lucky my wife doesn't visit here. The reply would hurt your head.

Just Alf
11-01-2019, 05:22 PM
At least nurses get to put their feet up on the Nightshift and read a book etc. Quite relaxing.:greengrin

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Hermit Crab
11-01-2019, 07:22 PM

:tee hee:

Hermit Crab
11-01-2019, 07:22 PM

Train Guards don't. :boo hoo:

Danderhall Hibs
11-01-2019, 07:30 PM
Aye of course they do, the patients just do their own toileting, bed changing and medication, actually a waste of time and money having Nurses on night shift.

Aye that’ll be in the old folk ward?

Better getting a job in one of the other ones - you’d be volunteering for the Nightshift - read a book, cup of tea, hand some tablets out, biscuit and a cup of tea and repeat.

Danderhall Hibs
11-01-2019, 07:31 PM

Only if she could be arsed getting up of the chair to swing at me. :greengrin

Danderhall Hibs
11-01-2019, 07:32 PM
Train Guards don't. :boo hoo:

It’s an undervalued profession mate. :agree:

MSK
11-01-2019, 07:48 PM
Aye that’ll be in the old folk ward?

Better getting a job in one of the other ones - you’d be volunteering for the Nightshift - read a book, cup of tea, hand some tablets out, biscuit and a cup of tea and repeat.Sounds like you have plenty of experience in that area. Thank **** Im not a staff Nurse, I prefer to graft for my money

staunchhibby
11-01-2019, 08:00 PM
Out of order the remark re nurses putting there feet up on nights.

Hibbyradge
12-01-2019, 10:37 AM
Out of order the remark re nurses putting there feet up on nights.

I didn't realise that Whoosh-itis was so contagious!

HUTCHYHIBBY
12-01-2019, 11:51 AM
It's amazing anyone took the nightshift nurses post at face value.

Danderhall Hibs
12-01-2019, 11:52 AM
It's amazing anyone took the nightshift nurses post at face value.

Hit a nerve I think.

Just Alf
12-01-2019, 06:10 PM
Hit a nerve I think.Sigh... They were just pissed coz some of their pals probably use the spare bed.....

PS I got it, and having a wee laugh at those that didn't :-)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

MSK
12-01-2019, 06:42 PM
Sigh... They were just pissed coz some of their pals probably use the spare bed.....

PS I got it, and having a wee laugh at those that didn't :-)

Sent from my SM-G935F using TapatalkIve just recovered from Danderhalls absolutley side splitting humour, I would have attempted some humour myself but didnt want to steal his thunder

Ps, Ive just finished a night shift, Im not a Nurse and I dont work in a ward but I am grumpy as **** 😃👍

Danderhall Hibs
12-01-2019, 06:59 PM
Ive just recovered from Danderhalls absolutley side splitting humour, I would have attempted some humour myself but didnt want to steal his thunder

Ps, Ive just finished a night shift, Im not a Nurse and I dont work in a ward but I am grumpy as **** 😃👍

You did try - you deleted it though. :wink:

MSK
12-01-2019, 07:10 PM
You did try - you deleted it though. :wink:I deleted similar to what I just posted above, I tend to do that now and again, bonkers eh

Just Alf
13-01-2019, 08:43 AM
Ive just recovered from Danderhalls absolutley side splitting humour, I would have attempted some humour myself but didnt want to steal his thunder

Sleep sound my friend, you'll wake up all nice and refreshed :agree:

Ready to go again! :devil:

MSK
13-01-2019, 08:52 AM
Sleep sound my friend, you'll wake up all nice and refreshed :agree:

Ready to go again! :devil:Cheers mate, Im early start tomorrow but will probably take until Wed until I fully recover from Fridays night shift, think its an age thing 😆

Hibrandenburg
13-01-2019, 09:25 AM
I used to do 24hr shifts and it was a killer. I'd fall into bed after being awake for at least 26hrs, sleep for at least 10 then wake up 8hrs before the next next shift meaning I'd have to go at least 33hrs before seeing my bed again.

MSK
13-01-2019, 09:28 AM
I used to do 24hr shifts and it was a killer. I'd fall into bed after being awake for at least 26hrs, sleep for at least 10 then wake up 8hrs before the next next shift meaning I'd have to go at least 33hrs before seeing my bed again.Ouch that sounds brutal !! Think I will stop moaning about my piddly wee 12 hr nights now 😆

Scouse Hibee
13-01-2019, 09:34 AM
I used to do 24hr shifts and it was a killer. I'd fall into bed after being awake for at least 26hrs, sleep for at least 10 then wake up 8hrs before the next next shift meaning I'd have to go at least 33hrs before seeing my bed again.

What did you do on your shifts? One thing is for sure, they never got the best out of you for the duration of your shift.

Jones28
13-01-2019, 09:53 AM

What the hell kind of job had you doing 24 hour shifts?

Hibrandenburg
13-01-2019, 10:07 AM
What did you do on your shifts? One thing is for sure, they never got the best out of you for the duration of your shift.

I was a Paramedic and have to agree with you about not getting the best out of their employees, I'd go further and say it was downright dangerous. The constant fatigue was not only a personal health hazard but also a hazard to patients whose lives were literally in our hands. Add to that our drivers who were driving in a highly hazardous environment after being on duty for almost 3 times the legal limit associated with other driving jobs. I loved the job and it was a difficult decision to give it up but I'm now so glad I did. There's not many old men in that line of work over here.

Hibrandenburg
13-01-2019, 10:13 AM
What the hell kind of job had you doing 24 hour shifts?

A loophole in EU work regulations allowed government employees to work way beyond that what was allowed for other workers. I believe the same loophole was used to extend the duty times of junior doctors in the NHS.

Scouse Hibee
13-01-2019, 10:17 AM
I was a Paramedic and have to agree with you about not getting the best out of their employees, I'd go further and say it was downright dangerous. The constant fatigue was not only a personal health hazard but also a hazard to patients whose lives were literally in our hands. Add to that our drivers who were driving in a highly hazardous environment after being on duty for almost 3 times the legal limit associated with other driving jobs. I loved the job and it was a difficult decision to give it up but I'm now so glad I did. There's not many old men in that line of work over here.

Wow, that was some shift for such a demanding job, hats off to you.

Mindrasect
14-01-2019, 03:45 AM
only have experience of 10 days, & those are worst :confused: