PDA

View Full Version : So, Ryan Gauld?

judas
05-01-2019, 03:39 PM
Apologies if there’s already been a thread about this, but with the link to Hibs apparently becoming stronger, does anyone have any thoughts on this prospect?

Seems a genuine talent. Technically outstanding, but how would hibs fare against the Sporting Lisbon B team which is where he currently plays. And can hibs accommodate Mallan, Allan (as I’m sure he will be joining) and Gauld in the same midfield?

Thoughts?

Connollys11
05-01-2019, 03:45 PM
He was class when he left for sporting can't say I've followed his progress but you never loose what he's got so I'm sure he'll be a very good acquisition pal.

DaveF
05-01-2019, 03:55 PM
Is he with sporting reserves or farense?

If it's the latter they are playing tomorrow. It might be on farense TV :-)

Hermit Crab
05-01-2019, 03:58 PM
Someone posted on the transfer thread that he's signing for Aberdeen.

CLASS OF 72 -73
05-01-2019, 03:59 PM
Bit like Allan really very talented but not fulfilled the potential - until he came to Hibs so you never know. Seems a bit lightweight for an already short lad as well to cope with a very physical SFPL.

MSK
05-01-2019, 04:03 PM
Someone posted on the transfer thread that he's signing for Aberdeen.And others said it was a fake account

1875Sean
05-01-2019, 04:05 PM
Is he with sporting reserves or farense?

If it's the latter they are playing tomorrow. It might be on farense TV :-)

Currently at farense, be interesting if he is in the squad

Wilson
05-01-2019, 04:07 PM
He was class when he left for sporting can't say I've followed his progress but you never loose what he's got so I'm sure he'll be a very good acquisition pal.

He has never had much of a look in at Sporting. His time there consisted mainly of loans to fellow Primeira Liga sides - some with more game time than others.

There was one occasion where he was allowed to play against his parent club in the cup and was instrumental in putting them out. Sporting took the huff and recalled him from what was looking like a successful loan period.

Currently he is on loan at Segunda liga side Farense where he is getting a start most weeks.

I reckon he would do a decent job for us or Aberdeen.

SirDavidsNapper
05-01-2019, 04:08 PM
Bit like Allan really very talented but not fulfilled the potential - until he came to Hibs so you never know. Seems a bit lightweight for an already short lad as well to cope with a very physical SFPL.

To be fair he was coping well with it at Dundee United. I'd be quite excited about him signing but im greedy so also want Allan.

calumhibee1
05-01-2019, 04:08 PM
Impossible to say. Could be a decent signing, hasn’t done a lot since he left Scotland though. Even if he’s as good as he was at DU then he’d be half decent, your like to think he’s got better than he was when he was 17 though.

Connollys11
05-01-2019, 04:13 PM
He has never had much of a look in at Sporting. His time there consisted mainly of loans to fellow Primeira Liga sides - some with more game time than others.

There was one occasion where he was allowed to play against his parent club in the cup and was instrumental in putting them out. Sporting took the huff and recalled him from what was looking like a successful loan period.

Currently he is on loan at Segunda liga side Farense where he is getting a start most weeks.

I reckon he would do a decent job for us or Aberdeen.

That's pish patter ae haha sounds like he's never had a fair crack of the whip. Hopefully we can get him but if the sheep are in for him aswell then a can't see him signing for us over them especially with him being from that area and the wages they're currently paying out! As long as we get Scott Allan that's the main thing this signing would just be a bonus Allan is priority.

LustForLeith
05-01-2019, 04:30 PM
Wasn’t it Levein who brought him through at Dundee United? If so, any chance he could join another Edinburgh club?

NAE NOOKIE
05-01-2019, 04:31 PM
In truth he will be a bit of an unknown quantity … if he has acquired the savvy to dodge heavy tackles and hold the ball under pressure from more physical players his alleged natural talent should shine through.

But my main concern is that for a player with so much alleged talent he hasn't really made an impression at Sporting and for all of his loan spells doesn't seem to have attracted much attention from other clubs who would perhaps think he was gettable given Sporting's reluctance to give him a first team chance. I know there's a massive release clause, but that was written in at the start of his contract 3 and a half years ago and I highly doubt even Sporting would take it seriously if a reasonable bid came in and I'm talking in the thousands, not millions.

In fact I cant really remember anybody raving about his appearances for Scotland under 21s either, which considering the hype surrounding him I find rather surprising.

I would like us to acquire him in the hope that he will live up to our expectations, but in all honesty I'm under no illusions that he is going to have a John McGinn or Scott Allan like impact on the team.

Since90+2
05-01-2019, 04:35 PM
In truth he will be a bit of an unknown quantity … if he has acquired the savvy to dodge heavy tackles and hold the ball under pressure from more physical players his alleged natural talent should shine through.

But my main concern is that for a player with so much alleged talent he hasn't really made an impression at Sporting and for all of his loan spells doesn't seem to have attracted much attention from other clubs who would perhaps think he was gettable given Sporting's reluctance to give him a first team chance. I know there's a massive release clause, but that was written in at the start of his contract 3 and a half years ago and I highly doubt even Sporting would take it seriously if a reasonable bid came in and I'm talking in the thousands, not millions.

In fact I cant really remember anybody raving about his appearances for Scotland under 21s either, which considering the hype surrounding him I find rather surprising.

I would like us to acquire him in the hope that he will live up to our expectations, but in all honesty I'm under no illusions that he is going to have a John McGinn or Scott Allan like impact on the team.

Very few players in Scotland would make the grade at Sporting. 2 or 3 Celtic players possibly but nobody else in the league would be good enough to make it at them.

The 90+2
05-01-2019, 04:37 PM
Must be the Johna song when he signs!

1van Sprou7e
05-01-2019, 04:44 PM
Must be the Johna song when he signs!

What song? Surely should be the Rob Jones song

The Green Goblin
05-01-2019, 04:45 PM
There’s already a transfer thread. (?)

NAE NOOKIE
05-01-2019, 04:47 PM
Very few players in Scotland would make the grade at Sporting. 2 or 3 Celtic players possibly but nobody else in the league would be good enough to make it at them.

I agree mate, but on the gathering evidence that Gaud looks like falling into that category I'm still surprised that the hundreds of clubs out there who aren't of the standard of Sporting but still have loads of money to spend haven't tried to attract him. As I said, I highly doubt the 60 million Euro release clause or whatever it was is anything like a factor now and I would imagine his parent club wouldn't be that hard to deal with given his obvious lack of progression to the standard of player Sporting Lisbon are looking for.

Wilson
05-01-2019, 04:48 PM

I don't know if we can read too much into the lack of a move. He always claimed to be happy in Portugal. Maybe he was? Maybe it is only now that he has had to drop down a division for a game that he is prepared to move?

More likely it was Sporting who wanted to keep their player close. As his contract runs down they may have softened on that policy? Who knows?

Too many questions but the lad can play.

Henderson doesn't get a look in for Scotland either but we'd all take him back.

Tyler Durden
05-01-2019, 04:54 PM

Not sure why you are saying “alleged” talent? He was phenomenal for Dundee Utd before his move.

Played as a number 10 then but think he might be suited a bit deeper now, time will tell. Every signing is a gamble but these are the type of moves I’d favour, young talented guys with something to prove.

bodhibs
05-01-2019, 04:56 PM

Which tbf is a car crash of not much more than bickering

Since90+2
05-01-2019, 04:57 PM
I agree mate, but on the gathering evidence that Gaud looks like falling into that category I'm still surprised that the hundreds of clubs out there who aren't of the standard of Sporting but still have loads of money to spend haven't tried to attract him. As I said, I highly doubt the 60 million Euro release clause or whatever it was is anything like a factor now and I would imagine his parent club wouldn't be that hard to deal with given his obvious lack of progression to the standard of player Sporting Lisbon are looking for.

I think the downside could be if he signs and has a phenomenal 5 months he will likely be out of our budget both transfer and wages wise. If he tears up the league then I could see Celtic and/or Rangers being interested.

We would then be back to square one in the summer and need to find another playmaker. I personally think if he signs he will be a quality signing and his time in Portugal will have improved him considerably.

The Leith Dutch
05-01-2019, 05:17 PM
To be fair he was coping well with it at Dundee United. I'd be quite excited about him signing but im greedy so also want Allan.

Ignoring the argument that you can never have too many good players my concern would be that during the summer window we signed good players without focusing on signing the players need for a good team.

In hindsight you may think some of those players look like bad signings but at the time at least they looked good.
I'm not sure it ever looked like we had a team.

Is struggle to see Allan, Mallam and Gauld in the same team z and that team working..... At the very least I think you'd be forced to play one up front and two actual centre miss who can run the Midfield

NAE NOOKIE
05-01-2019, 05:21 PM
Not sure why you are saying “alleged” talent? He was phenomenal for Dundee Utd before his move.

Played as a number 10 then but think he might be suited a bit deeper now, time will tell. Every signing is a gamble but these are the type of moves I’d favour, young talented guys with something to prove.

He may well have talent, but at 23 years of age that has taken him as far as Sporting's reserve team and a number of loan spells. You have to ask why this phenomenal player only managed to amass 11 Scotland under 21 caps … its not as if we were awash with world class talent in that area.

Don't get me wrong, he may be a great wee player … but for me I would want to see him perform for Hibs or if it turns out to be Bristol City or Aberdeen them before I start wetting my knickers about his virtues as a footballer.

southsider
05-01-2019, 05:26 PM
Wasn’t it Levein who brought him through at Dundee United? If so, any chance he could join another Edinburgh club?

Jackie Mac (Jnr). His dad was talking about it in today’s Sun.

The Green Goblin
05-01-2019, 06:27 PM
Which tbf is a car crash of not much more than bickering

True enough mate. Hard work reading through it.

The 90+2
05-01-2019, 06:37 PM
What song? Surely should be the Rob Jones song

Yeah that’s who I meant 😂👍

bodhibs
05-01-2019, 06:37 PM

Best thing I've seen is the tommy block song!

LustForLeith
05-01-2019, 07:24 PM
Jackie Mac (Jnr). His dad was talking about it in today’s Sun.

I stand corrected!

Lago
05-01-2019, 07:35 PM

But absolutely no transfer news of any kind.

Joe6-2
05-01-2019, 07:43 PM

😡

Jack Hackett
05-01-2019, 07:59 PM

I haven't even opened it this year. I had a premonition :greengrin

... And would love to see Ryan come here

bodhibs
05-01-2019, 08:35 PM

You should, it's a blast 🙄

The Green Goblin
05-01-2019, 08:41 PM

Also true.

The Green Goblin
05-01-2019, 08:42 PM

:greengrin Please will you tell me the next time you have a premonition?

The Green Goblin
05-01-2019, 08:43 PM
You should, it's a blast 🙄

Like a blast of liquid nitrogen to the clacker bag.

Mibbes Aye
05-01-2019, 10:05 PM
He may well have talent, but at 23 years of age that has taken him as far as Sporting's reserve team and a number of loan spells. You have to ask why this phenomenal player only managed to amass 11 Scotland under 21 caps … its not as if we were awash with world class talent in that area.

Don't get me wrong, he may be a great wee player … but for me I would want to see him perform for Hibs or if it turns out to be Bristol City or Aberdeen them before I start wetting my knickers about his virtues as a footballer.

I posted something broadly similar on the PM board but if he is joining us then I sincerely hope I'm wrong.

I see a fair bit of Portuguese football and I reckon Sporting would give us a chasing, though they are weaker due to some internal problems which saw players essentially trying to resign.

He hasn't even been playing that frequently on loan but the saving grace is that football there tends to be technically proficient, so he will be in a side that are trying to play the right way.

He was highly-rated when he left Scotland however and I get the impression that Lennon is the kind of guy who can turn a player's career around (notwithstanding the criticism he has been getting for giving public stick to some players).

Smartie
05-01-2019, 10:16 PM
Best thing I've seen is the tommy block song!

Ryan Gauld scans OK in that song too.

CMurdoch
05-01-2019, 10:52 PM
A little concerned he is another wee guy brought into our midfield by Lennon on top of Mallan, Horgan & Hyndman.
I was really surprised at how little Hyndman achieved. Nothing to do with lack of effort as others suggested , just didn't work in our present team.

Gauld is a good reliable hard working guy and will have technical ability in spades.
Hopefully has a bit more vision than Hyndman and a desperation to get on the ball to show what he can do.

Downside is very limited big time match experience in the last 4.5 years in terms of games and quality. Currently plays in a league where crowds of 1,100 is the norm. Make no mistake there is a lot riding on this loan spell for Gauld as well as Hibs, so he will be massively motivated.

Conclusion - Jury's out but he is match fit and ready to go. Good luck Ryan and well done to those who got this deal over the line.

Tornadoes70
06-01-2019, 12:05 AM
A little concerned he is another wee guy brought into our midfield by Lennon on top of Mallan, Horgan & Hyndman.
I was really surprised at how little Hyndman achieved. Nothing to do with lack of effort as others suggested , just didn't work in our present team.

Gauld is a good reliable hard working guy and will have technical ability in spades.
Hopefully has a bit more vision than Hyndman and a desperation to get on the ball to show what he can do.

Downside is very limited big time match experience in the last 4.5 years in terms of games and quality. Currently plays in a league where crowds of 1,100 is the norm. Make no mistake there is a lot riding on this loan spell for Gauld as well as Hibs, so he will be massively motivated.

Conclusion - Jury's out but he is match fit and ready to go. Good luck Ryan and well done to those who got this deal over the line.

Talented football players find time and space in which to feed in others. Johnny Collins, Russell Latapy, Alex Edwards, Micky Weir, Scott Allen etc etc etc weren't and aren't the most physical but their class enabled them extra time and space in order to spread play and to score goals.

CMurdoch
06-01-2019, 03:14 AM
Talented football players find time and space in which to feed in others. Johnny Collins, Russell Latapy, Alex Edwards, Micky Weir, Scott Allen etc etc etc weren't and aren't the most physical but their class enabled them extra time and space in order to spread play and to score goals.

Of course they do, but in the midfield you also need players to do the dirty work so the talented get the time and space to create.
This has been our problem this season and the likes of Hyndman have been "sacked" before they can play the killer pass etc.

Looking back at Hyndman's previous playing stats, rather than where he was coming from club wise, showed a guy with very little experience. Gaulds playing record since leaving Dundee Utd 4.5years ago is similarly sparce.
Fingers crossed that he is the/a missing part in the Hibs machine.

wpj
06-01-2019, 03:57 AM
Record reporting it's a done deal and he should be joining the squad in Dubai.

Mibbes Aye
06-01-2019, 06:56 AM
Of course they do, but in the midfield you also need players to do the dirty work so the talented get the time and space to create.
This has been our problem this season and the likes of Hyndman have been "sacked" before they can play the killer pass etc.

Looking back at Hyndman's previous playing stats, rather than where he was coming from club wise, showed a guy with very little experience. Gaulds playing record since leaving Dundee Utd 4.5years ago is similarly sparce.
Fingers crossed that he is the/a missing part in the Hibs machine.

I think what you are referring to is what football purists describe as the ‘Matty Jack role’.

Technically, and possibly legally, it involves drinking in Clark’s Bar on the night before the game until three or four hours after closing time, longer if it was extended hours for the Festival. Then back to somebody’s flat for more drink, then back to Clarks or an accommating abode for a full cooked breakfast, eggs always fried.

No athlete could put that in their system without fluids, so a couple of pints of Guinness and a double dark rum chaser would be requisite, preferably in a really dodgy boozer that just happened to be open that early.

On no accounts is shaving tolerated, or indeed washing one’s hair or probably brushing one’s teeth.

Then it’s a case of getting to the game. The strip is donned and one goes out into battle knowing that whichever pretty boy with neat moves you are protecting, you are going to put their opponents into row Z as soon as you can get studs on them. And you do.

jeffers
06-01-2019, 07:04 AM
I just hope at the end of his loan I’m not reading on here how he would have been a great player for us if only he’d been played in his best position.

Rumble de Thump
06-01-2019, 10:37 AM
Ryan Gauld quotes from March 2018:

"I have worked hard at this. It is not about muscle mass but becoming stronger in an athletic sense. I have done that and I continue to work on it.

"Mainly, I have developed defensively. I was just 17, 18 when I came here but my defensive knowledge is much bigger. Tactically, I am more sure of my positioning. You have to be capable of that in Portugal before getting a game.
"I like to think of myself as that boy who is capable of taking people on, making chances, chipping in with a few goals. That won't change."

Future17
06-01-2019, 01:37 PM
Starting for Farense today.

SirDavidsNapper
06-01-2019, 01:43 PM
Starting for Farense today.

Would be just our luck him getting injured

Future17
06-01-2019, 03:30 PM
Subbed off in 71 mins with his team leading 1-2.

Robbo6-2
06-01-2019, 03:43 PM
Personally I have no idea how we can be close to a deal for a player who is already at another club and is still playing for them.

Seems odd to me. Hopefully the reports are true and he does join.

The 90+2
06-01-2019, 03:44 PM
Personally I have no idea how we can be close to a deal for a player who is already at another club and is still playing for them.

It was his final loan appearance for them today.

Iggy Pope
06-01-2019, 03:57 PM

Transfers appear to have worked like this for several decades.

Robbo6-2
06-01-2019, 04:01 PM
Transfers appear to have worked like this for several decades.

I know how transfers work.

If I was describing a transfer deal as close I would expect all the financial terms being agreed and a medical complete. How can a medical have been done? Not to mention the player is on loan at another club and is in a different country.

There is so many things that could still go wrong with this move which is why am saying it's a surprise the media are saying it's close.

Lago
06-01-2019, 04:14 PM

If I was describing a transfer deal as close I would expect all the financial terms being agreed and a medical complete. How can a medical have been done? Not to mention the player is on loan at another club and is in a different country.

There is so many things that could still go wrong with this move which is why am saying it's a surprise the media are saying it's close.
Agree

Iggy Pope
06-01-2019, 04:22 PM

Can't it be close before the medical? Often it falls through after the medical. But you'll know that.

I once picked up my Season Ticket at Easter Road to get back in the car to hear that Darren Jackson had signed for Celtic.
I watched Pat Stanton come on for 10mins against Montrose and he was employed by Celtic next day.
The Huns signed the fellah Jones a couple of days ago and he announced it on twitter whilst still employed by Killie!
Has Efe had a medical at his new club or is he just signing on the dole?

Lago
06-01-2019, 04:30 PM
Can't it be close before the medical? Often it falls through after the medical. But you'll know that.

I once picked up my Season Ticket at Easter Road to get back in the car to hear that Darren Jackson had signed for Celtic.
I watched Pat Stanton come on for 10mins against Montrose and he was employed by Celtic next day.
The Huns signed the fellah Jones a couple of days ago and he announced it on twitter whilst still employed by Killie!
Has Efe had a medical at his new club or is he just signing on the dole?
Effe has had plenty of conversations with perspective employers prior to Hibs knowing he was off. In my opinion.

Jack Hackett
06-01-2019, 04:41 PM
Effe has had plenty of conversations with perspective employers prior to Hibs knowing he was off. In my opinion.

I'd imagine that Efe gave Hibs plenty of notice he'd be leaving, hence the improved terms they offered to persuade him to stay. Just a feeling that it's the kind of thing he'd do

Iggy Pope
06-01-2019, 04:46 PM

And a medical you think? Not stretching the point too much I hope. He could fail a medical easily couldn’t he? As could Ryan Gauld after the clubs have agreed a deal. Not without precedent.

Lago
06-01-2019, 05:05 PM
And a medical you think? Not stretching the point too much I hope. He could fail a medical easily couldn’t he? As could Ryan Gauld after the clubs have agreed a deal. Not without precedent.
True, don't think he would have gone otherwise.

SChibs
06-01-2019, 05:43 PM
Ryan Gauld quotes from March 2018:

"I have worked hard at this. It is not about muscle mass but becoming stronger in an athletic sense. I have done that and I continue to work on it.

"Mainly, I have developed defensively. I was just 17, 18 when I came here but my defensive knowledge is much bigger. Tactically, I am more sure of my positioning. You have to be capable of that in Portugal before getting a game.
"I like to think of myself as that boy who is capable of taking people on, making chances, chipping in with a few goals. That won't change."

Fair enough, building strength and building muscle are entirely different things and you train differently for each one.