PDA

View Full Version : I wish

IDHibs
04-01-2019, 11:38 PM
Back in the day ET picked out star players. Alan Gordon quality. Wee mickey for £13,000 Nijinsky was a joy to watch purely for his enthusiasm... happy days...OH and Sloop was the best most cultured defender i saw in my not short lived puff. John Blackley epitomised Hibs total class outfit. :na na::na na::na na:

oneone73
05-01-2019, 08:30 AM
Back in the day ET picked out star players. Alan Gordon quality. Wee mickey for £13,000 Nijinsky was a joy to watch purely for his enthusiasm... happy days...OH and Sloop was the best most cultured defender i saw in my not short lived puff. John Blackley epitomised Hibs total class outfit. :na na::na na::na na:

Could be wrong, but wasn't Nijinksky signed by Willie McFarlane?

Fuzzywuzzy
05-01-2019, 08:50 AM
I wish I was a little bit taller
I wish I was a baller
I wish I had a girl who looked good, I would call her
I wish I had a rabbit in a hat with a bat
And a six four Impala

SideBurns
05-01-2019, 09:05 AM
I wish I was a baller
And a six four Impala

I wish I could fly
Right up to the sky
But I can't
(You can!)
Naw! Ah cannae, as tells ye!!

BILLYHIBS
05-01-2019, 09:29 AM
I wish we had a Manager like Eddie Turnbull who knew the style and system he wanted to play knew the players he wanted (Herriot, Edwards and Gordon) and just went out and got them at fairly cheap to reasonable prices got his team together drilled the system into them religiously and played the same eleven for thirty months and at the end of it all they all knew each other’s game inside out

A joy to behold for any hibee like myself who witnessed such a great team it was like watching a game of chess on the football pitch

No disrespect to Neil Lennon but I am aware that what we witnessed was a once a once in a lifetime experience and that it ain’t gonna happen in the modern era.

Like Eddie Turnbulls team nothing lasts forever and for Neil Lennon the clock is ticking in this transfer window I am sure hope WISH pray he will turn things around

Smartie
05-01-2019, 09:37 AM
I wish I was a baller
And a six four Impala

*Andy McNeil's hibs.net username revealed*

H18S NX
05-01-2019, 01:06 PM
I wish we had a Manager like Eddie Turnbull who knew the style and system he wanted to play knew the players he wanted (Herriot, Edwards and Gordon) and just went out and got them at fairly cheap to reasonable prices got them team together drilled the system into them religiously and played the same eleven for thirty months and at the end of it all they all knew each other’s game inside out

A joy to behold for any hibee like myself who witnessed such a great team it was like watching a game of chess on the football pitch

No disrespect to Neil Lennon but I am aware that what we witnessed was a once a once in a lifetime experience and that it ain’t gonna happen in the modern era.

Like Eddie Turnbulls team nothing lasts forever and for Neil Lennon the clock is ticking in this transfer window I am sure hope WISH pray he will turn things around...Happy days indeed Billy,but even in the sixties we had some braw players.

Lago
05-01-2019, 01:14 PM
I wish we had a Manager like Eddie Turnbull who knew the style and system he wanted to play knew the players he wanted (Herriot, Edwards and Gordon) and just went out and got them at fairly cheap to reasonable prices got them team together drilled the system into them religiously and played the same eleven for thirty months and at the end of it all they all knew each other’s game inside out

Like Eddie Turnbulls team nothing lasts forever and for Neil Lennon the clock is ticking in this transfer window I am sure hope WISH pray he will turn things around

What can I say but your wish is my wish, a team that played for the shirt. Happy days loved them.

Connollys11
05-01-2019, 04:10 PM
I wish we had a Manager like Eddie Turnbull who knew the style and system he wanted to play knew the players he wanted (Herriot, Edwards and Gordon) and just went out and got them at fairly cheap to reasonable prices got his team together drilled the system into them religiously and played the same eleven for thirty months and at the end of it all they all knew each other’s game inside out

He was a man well ahead of his time was our Eddie like. That team of his should've won a lot more. It must've been a joy to watch them mate.

southsider
05-01-2019, 04:17 PM
Wish we had never sold SJM to such a p@sh team. In fact I wish we had never sold him at all. No one in the team to grab the game by the scruff on the neck like he did.

Connollys11
05-01-2019, 04:41 PM
Wish we had never sold SJM to such a p@sh team. In fact I wish we had never sold him at all. No one in the team to grab the game by the scruff on the neck like he did.

True mate he's sadly missed like we should've just let his contract run out this season

southsider
05-01-2019, 04:46 PM
Just saying Villa are rank. We should have gave him a £1m for a 2 year extension.

eastterrace
05-01-2019, 08:06 PM

Sure I seen it somewhere that the turnbull tornadoes only played together about 22 times so no where near 30 months.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

southsider
05-01-2019, 09:07 PM
Ned came to Hibs after Dave (Rangers are rubbish) left in 1971. We got to the Cup Final but our bottled crashed. Left Hampden as a broken hearted 12 year old

allmodcons
05-01-2019, 09:13 PM

Did Eddie Turnbull not break the bank when he signed Joe Harper?

madabouthibs
05-01-2019, 10:36 PM
I wish, number one was Ambrose, number two was Ambrose, number three was Ambrose....
Etc etc......

BILLYHIBS
05-01-2019, 10:52 PM
Did Eddie Turnbull not break the bank when he signed Joe Harper?

And so it begins.....

Eddie Turnbull decided to break up the Tornadoes after their loss to Hadjuk Split 4-5 in the ECWCQF a massive disappointment

He decided to sign his goalden boy from Aberdeen Joe Harper a player sold to Everton for £180000 he decided to buy for £120000 Aberdeen matched our offer but later withdrew it Harper hoping to scupper his move to HIBS demanded a 15k tax free signing on fee and the same wages as at Everton surprisingly Tom Hart agreed

I attended his debut at Brockville and to say it was a disappointment is a massive understatement he was fat overweight unfit and one of our heroes was sat on the bench

He was a good player without any doubt but was never accepted by the HIBS fans

Tom Hart wanted a return on his investment and decided to sell Cropley ORourke and Gordon

Yes I would say we broke the bank and the club but as Joe Harper said himself “ Do you think I would have left Everton for less money?”

It was the beginning of the end of the best HIBS team I have ever seen

BILLYHIBS
05-01-2019, 10:54 PM
I wish, number one was Ambrose, number two was Ambrose, number three was Ambrose....
Etc etc......
Was that an Efe moment? 😁

BILLYHIBS
05-01-2019, 11:04 PM
Ned came to Hibs after Dave (Rangers are rubbish) left in 1971. We got to the Cup Final but our bottled crashed. Left Hampden as a broken hearted 12 year old
Dave Ewing said Rangers are rubbish after a draw in a semi final we lost the replay to a Willie Henderson goal but yes I too was the tearful 12 year old leaving Hampden Park around about that time all to be ended on 9th December 1972 Scottish League Cup Final 2-1 win versus Celtic

GGTTH

IDHibs
06-01-2019, 02:20 AM

:aok::top marks Yogi????

IDHibs
06-01-2019, 03:15 AM
Dave Ewing said Rangers are rubbish after a draw in a semi final we lost the replay to a Willie Henderson goal but yes I too was the tearful 12 year old leaving Hampden Park around about that time all to be ended on 9th December 1972 Scottish League Cup Final 2-1 win versus Celtic

GGTTH

i was 15 and totally gutted...mind you Dixie Deans handled the baw and was well offside for his other 2...gimme Nijinsky or Marinello cutting in and shoving it to the weedgies any time.

IDHibs
06-01-2019, 08:10 AM
He was a man well ahead of his time was our Eddie like. That team of his should've won a lot more. It must've been a joy to watch them mate.

it was... check out wee Mickeys ball to Gordon for the second goal of the 0-7 humping.... that ball from Edwards was genious. Played with his head up saw things others didn't

BILLYHIBS
06-01-2019, 08:51 AM
And so it begins.....

Eddie Turnbull decided to break up the Tornadoes after their loss to Hadjuk Split 4-5 in the ECWCQF a massive disappointment

He decided to sign his goalden boy from Aberdeen Joe Harper a player sold to Everton for £180000 he decided to buy for £120000 Aberdeen matched our offer but later withdrew it Harper hoping to scupper his move to HIBS demanded a 15k tax free signing on fee and the same wages as at Everton surprisingly Tom Hart agreed

I attended his debut at Brockville and to say it was a disappointment is a massive understatement he was fat overweight unfit and one of our heroes was sat on the bench

Tom Hart wanted a return on his investment and decided to sell Cropley ORourke and Gordon

Yes I would say we broke the bank and the club but as Joe Harper said himself “ Do you think I would have left Everton for less money?”

“Sheer football delight....this green machine”. :greengrin

https://youtu.be/ppM_MbCh4cA

The Match was actually a lot closer than the score suggests ��

IDHibs
06-01-2019, 09:47 AM
Sure I seen it somewhere that the turnbull tornadoes only played together about 22 times so no where near 30 months.

bull****...barring injuries imposed on them by Huns, soapies and Johnny Love . Turnbull was a brilliant man... Bremner in for onion ? you had to be there

Allant1981
06-01-2019, 10:27 AM
bull****...barring injuries imposed on them by Huns, soapies and Johnny Love . Turnbull was a brilliant man... Bremner in for onion ? you had to be there

With the amount of times you have been corrected on things from that era I'm beginning to doubt you were there!!

BILLYHIBS
06-01-2019, 10:27 AM

Ha Ha!

I Met Johnny Love in the Cask Southside last week the first thing he said to me was “ It wisnae me that broke John Brownlies leg!”

IIRC it was Ian Printy

He went on to tell me he had been over in Spain and met Jackie MacNamara SNR and showed me images on his phone of them in a local hostelry

We also had a young Bobby Smith and Derek Spalding coming through who both were emerging talents

Mickey Edwards was a brilliant midfielder who could hit a fifty pence piece from fifty yards with his precision passing and got sent off in that bad tempered match versus East Fife at Easter Road and got a three month ban

I think East Fife had decided they were not going to get embarrassed like Hearts did a week earlier :greengrin

IDHibs
06-01-2019, 11:01 AM
[QUOTE=allant1981;5655688]With the amount of times you have been corrected on things from that era I'm beginning to doubt you were there!![/QUOTE
****in justify that statement.....

IDHibs
06-01-2019, 11:08 AM
Ha Ha!

I Met Johnny Love in the Cask Southside last week the first thing he said to me was “ It wisnae me that broke John Brownlies leg!”

IIRC it was Ian Printy

He went on to tell me he had been over in Spain and met Jackie MacNamara SNR and showed me images on his phone of them in a local hostelry

We also had a young Bobby Smith and Derek Spalding coming through who both were emerging talents

Mickey Edwards was a brilliant midfielder who could hit a fifty pence piece from fifty yards with his precision passing and got sent off in that bad tempered match versus East Fife at Easter Road and got a three month ban

I think East Fife had decided they were not going to get embarrassed like Hearts did a week earlier :greengrin

or like Ayr united were mind you i wisnae their ...all a figment of my oft corrected imagination just like i wisnae at the Napoli game, Sporting Lisbon. Liverpool and Leeds home and away. yonder **** dissing me is pure trolling

IDHibs
06-01-2019, 11:11 AM
With the amount of times you have been corrected on things from that era I'm beginning to doubt you were there!!

You talk ***** son... followed all my days as do my boys, daughter and grandaughters...you know **** all

HUTCHYHIBBY
06-01-2019, 11:12 AM
You talk ***** son... followed all my days as do my boys, daughter and grandaughters...you know **** all

You really are an angry man on here at times.

IDHibs
06-01-2019, 11:19 AM
You really are an angry man on here at times.

pretty justified when a knob end questions my credentials . oh by the way i was/am the original Heidthebaw others latched on to my moniker thereby showing a distinct lack of originality. Hardly Hibs class eh?

WoreTheGreen
06-01-2019, 11:23 AM
Ha Ha!

IIRC it was Ian Printy

Met him in the Cask last week to . He showed me the Jackie photos and also mentioned George Stewart has moved over there also

cabbageandribs1875
06-01-2019, 11:27 AM
oh oh

Allant1981
06-01-2019, 11:41 AM
pretty justified when a knob end questions my credentials . oh by the way i was/am the original Heidthebaw others latched on to my moniker thereby showing a distinct lack of originality. Hardly Hibs class eh?

It was a joke, lighten up with the abuse

BILLYHIBS
06-01-2019, 11:47 AM
Met him in the Cask last week to . He showed me the Jackie photos and also mentioned George Stewart has moved over there also

Aye that’s correct mentioned that to me anaw

Big George an absolute gentleman bleeds green HIBS daft said he would have signed for HIBS sooner in a heartbeat pardon the pun! :greengrin

eastterrace
06-01-2019, 08:02 PM

You forgot about Johnny Hamilton and John hazel

Lago
06-01-2019, 08:21 PM
And so it begins.....

It was, I could have cried. It was in the main mediocrity from there on. With short periods of hope.

allmodcons
06-01-2019, 08:29 PM
And so it begins.....

Nice summary. I was lucky enough to meet Eddie Turnbull pre-season at Deveronvale (Banff) when I was a young kid. He took me to see John Blackley who in turn took me round the changing rooms (more like a shed at Deveronvale back then) and got every player to sign my 100 Years of Hibs book.

I'm guessing it was maybe summer of 1976 maybe 1977. I was chuffed to bits.

HUTCHYHIBBY
06-01-2019, 08:31 PM
oh by the way i was/am the original Heidthebaw others latched on to my moniker thereby showing a distinct lack of originality. Hardly Hibs class eh?

I've no idea what you are on about.

BILLYHIBS
06-01-2019, 09:08 PM
Nice summary. I was lucky enough to meet Eddie Turnbull pre-season at Deveronvale (Banff) when I was a young kid. He took me to see John Blackley who in turn took me round the changing rooms (more like a shed at Deveronvale back then) and got every player to sign my 100 Years of Hibs book.

I'm guessing it was maybe summer of 1976 maybe 1977. I was chuffed to bits.

Is that you Des? :greengrin

allmodcons
06-01-2019, 09:32 PM
Is that you Des? :greengrin

Not quite but ironically my surname is Bremner!

BILLYHIBS
06-01-2019, 09:39 PM
Not quite but you ironically my surname is Bremner!

Aye he was some player!

No one appreciated how good until we sold him to Villa on the cheap I think we got Joe Ward as well and big gaps started to appear in our midfield where Des Bremner would normally have been

A legend at Villa Park went onto win the European Cup

:not worth

Inconsequential
06-01-2019, 10:09 PM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Absolutely right Turnbull's Tornadoes were terrific but after beating Hearts 7 nil on New Years Day things came crashing down in early Jan. 73 John Brownlie broke his leg, Alex Edwards got a suspension of seven or eight weeks. The side were never as potent for the rest of the season.

BILLYHIBS
06-01-2019, 10:31 PM
Absolutely right Turnbull's Tornadoes were terrific but after beating Hearts 7 nil on New Years Day things came crashing down in early Jan. 73 John Brownlie broke his leg, Alex Edwards got a suspension of seven or eight weeks. The side were never as potent for the rest of the season.

Agree but as others have said more than capable deputies came in for Herriot, Brownlie, Schaedler, Stanton Black and Blackley Edwards ORourke Gordon Cropley and Duncan we had Des Bremner, Iain Munro Bobby Smith Jim McArthur, Derek Spalding,Johnny Hamilton, John Hazel,Bertie Auld and Tony Higgins so we always had the nucleus of the Tornadoes usually always about 9 or 10 playing the system

Notice I forgot to mention Joe Harper :confused:

Lago
07-01-2019, 11:20 AM
Agree but as others have said more than capable deputies came in for Herriot, Brownlie, Schaedler, Stanton Black and Blackley Edwards ORourke Gordon Cropley and Duncan we had Des Bremner, Iain Munro Bobby Smith Jim McArthur, Derek Spalding,Johnny Hamilton, John Hazel,Bertie Auld and Tony Higgins so we always had the nucleus of the Tornadoes usually always about 9 or 10 playing the system

Notice I forgot to mention Joe Harper :confused:
He did score a cracking goal against Liverpool though.

BILLYHIBS
07-01-2019, 11:32 AM
He did score a cracking goal against Liverpool though.

Agree he was some player

Remember that night well got soaked in the old North Enclosure :greengrin

cabbageandribs1875
07-01-2019, 04:01 PM

indeed :rolleyes: