PDA

View Full Version : Official Site: EFE AMBROSE DEPARTURE CONFIRMED

RSS Bot
04-01-2019, 10:10 AM
More... (http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/9591)

The Spaceman
04-01-2019, 10:14 AM
Thank you Efe - certainly entertained us all in your time here! Class act. Good luck with the rest of your career :aok:

Big, big window for us now. Not that it wasn't already...!

Pretty Boy
04-01-2019, 10:24 AM
Good luck Efe. A joy to watch most of the time and he's every right to go after one last big payday.

Stating the obvious but a huge, huge window for us now and the start of a long term rebuild. There's a lot of work to do in the next 3 or 4 windows as we have a fair few nearer the end of their Hibs careers than the start of them.

bigwheel
04-01-2019, 10:24 AM
joy to watch..wish him all the best.....more than paid us back..

Vault Boy
04-01-2019, 10:26 AM
Gutted. An absolute joy to watch who just seemed to keep on getting better. I'll certainly miss watching him play.

All the best Efe.

Dublin07
04-01-2019, 10:27 AM
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Baldy Foghorn
04-01-2019, 10:38 AM
Gutted with this. Big void to fill

Billy Whizz
04-01-2019, 10:40 AM
Good luck Efe, we’ll miss you big time

GlesgaeHibby
04-01-2019, 10:42 AM
Thank you Efe - Player of the Year by a country mile so far this season. Gutted.

Stokesy's on fire
04-01-2019, 10:42 AM
Massive loss to Hibernian not only was a he a good player for us he was a great person. He is a fantastic Role model for any young player coming through. He is one of the fittest players in the game and despite all the negativity that was thrown his way by Celtic fans he just brushed it off and gave his all. All the best Efe Ambrose and thank you so much. Good luck

rotherhamrob
04-01-2019, 10:49 AM
Here's hoping daz and Paul stay fit because with Ryan being injured we're short of numbers at the back.

Keith_M
04-01-2019, 10:49 AM
Jeezo, we've lost our best player

:rolleyes:

MWHIBBIES
04-01-2019, 10:54 AM
Dunno who the fud behind me will moan about now.

Excellent player, as good as I've seen at Hibs. Big miss.

NORTHERNHIBBY
04-01-2019, 10:55 AM
Been a good deal for both parties.

Keith_M
04-01-2019, 10:58 AM
Not up to speed with all the details, so apologies if this is already mentioned anywhere else...

Will Hibs receive any money for him?

DarlingtonHibee
04-01-2019, 11:00 AM
He goes with our best wishes

J-C
04-01-2019, 11:02 AM
Was not always his biggest fan but grew to really appreciate what he did bring, this scenario was always likely as he needed to get his passport visa and we needed his experience, worked out for both parties, good luck wherever he goes.

Andymac85
04-01-2019, 11:02 AM
Wish him nothing but the best, but this is terrible news.

Hibernia&Alba
04-01-2019, 11:04 AM
He proved me wrong, having far more good performances than bad. He leaves behind a big gap in our defence. All the best big man. :aok:

Keith_M
04-01-2019, 11:05 AM
He goes with our best wishes

Never mind the best wishes, do we get any wonga?

Sorry to be so cynical about it but the most important thing to the player is the money (which is perfectly fair), so it would be nice to know if Hibs are getting anything that will help towards a replacement.

MWHIBBIES
04-01-2019, 11:07 AM

Sorry to be so cynical about it but the most important thing to the player is the money (which is perfectly fair), so it would be nice to know if Hibs are getting anything that will help towards a replacement.

Why would we?

04-01-2019, 11:07 AM
Sorry to see him go, was on course for player of the year. Best of luck Efe.

neil7908
04-01-2019, 11:08 AM
Ouch. Not a surprise given all the speculation but still a massive blow to lose our player of the season for nothing when we've have so many other gaps in the team too fill.

Hibernian Verse
04-01-2019, 11:09 AM

No because he had a clause in his contract allowing him to go for free now.

Cocaine&Caviar
04-01-2019, 11:13 AM
Surely means we will play 4 at the back the rest of the season.

BroxburnHibee
04-01-2019, 11:14 AM
Good luck to him. Can't blame him looking for a big payday.

Lennon really has a big job to do this month now.

Keith_M
04-01-2019, 11:26 AM
Why would we?

No idea, that's why I asked the question.

No because he had a clause in his contract allowing him to go for free now.

Cheers.

Sadly, that makes it even harder to try to replace him.

Maybe time for another discussion about how to find extra finances for the club...

;)

Centre Hawf
04-01-2019, 11:27 AM
Sorry to see him go, was on course for player of the year. Best of luck Efe.

The way we are atm there’s a good chance he’ll still be our POTY come May.

Hibernian32
04-01-2019, 11:29 AM
A massive FFS from me

Hibs90
04-01-2019, 11:40 AM
The good news just keeps coming :rolleyes:

The 90+2
04-01-2019, 11:43 AM
Please please be some kind of forward thinking back up plan. Good luck to the stroller.

calumhibee1
04-01-2019, 11:44 AM
The way we are atm there’s a good chance he’ll still be our POTY come May.

I don’t care what happens in the second half of the season, he’s getting my vote. Absolute shegger.

Tornadoes70
04-01-2019, 11:44 AM
Not going to join the love in as he's bolted at the first opportunity he could mid season right after a derby defeat as well. Don't wish him ill but not interested in him any longer.

Let's hope Lenny can bring in some decent players in the transfer window.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

makaveli1875
04-01-2019, 11:45 AM
We were lucky to get him in his prime and he took a big drop in wages to come here . This is his last shot at a big payday and he's right to take it . All the best big man , best goal celebration iv seen at ER

Bishop Hibee
04-01-2019, 11:46 AM
Big loss. Great player who was consistent and never injured. Good luck to him.

Sean1875
04-01-2019, 11:51 AM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keith_M
04-01-2019, 11:56 AM
Not going to join the love in as he's bolted at the first opportunity he could mid season right after a derby defeat as well. Don't wish him ill but not interested in him any longer.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

That's kind of where I am as well.

He's undoubtedly a good player, and I've loved watching him, but to leave just now is great for him... but not so much for us.

Oscar T Grouch
04-01-2019, 11:58 AM
Genuinely gutted with this news. I am happy I had the pleasure of watching Efe in a Hibs shirt. I wish him all the best for the rest of his career, hope he finds a good club to shine at. Should be an interesting window, but given how good Efe was for us I cannot see us signing another defender of his quality, not unless we have found a generous billionaire in the last couple of days.

mentalhibee
04-01-2019, 11:58 AM

Mon the Cabbage!!!

Hibs should have paid him what he was worth and we wouldn’t have had to put such a clause in his contract.

CockneyRebel
04-01-2019, 12:00 PM
So sorry to see him go he has been good for us but also we have been good for him and he could/should have seen out the season no?

Pretty Boy
04-01-2019, 12:03 PM
Hibs should have paid him what he was worth and we wouldn’t have had to put such a clause in his contract.

Tbf if the rumours of Cardiff being interested are true he's probably 'worth' £20K+ a week. We can't compete with that.

We've had 2 years, 18 month of ownership, from a guy who has probably taken a significant wage drop to come to us even at the top end of our scale.

Tornadoes70
04-01-2019, 12:03 PM
That's kind of where I am as well.

He's undoubtedly a good player, and I've loved watching him, but to leave just now is great for him... but not so much for us.

:top marks

Sir David Gray
04-01-2019, 12:04 PM
Massive loss to the club and I can only hope that there's a quality replacement lined up as they're big shoes to fill.

hibIBZ
04-01-2019, 12:07 PM
Big loss but good luck to him, always tried his best and provides great entertainment at times. huge now for porteous to step up. I would think this will free up quite a bit in wages as I am assuming he was our highest earner or certainly one of the highest

calumhibee1
04-01-2019, 12:12 PM
https://i.makeagif.com/save/US6RXp

Don’t know how to attach it so here’s a link. Enjoy 😎

SaulGoodman
04-01-2019, 12:15 PM

Could watch that all day

ThomasAgyepong
04-01-2019, 12:16 PM
Brilliant. Only gone and lost our technically best footballer. Now we have to bring in another centre-back, 2 midfielders and at least 1 striker. What do I expect Hibs to bring in? Another 3 Emerson Hyndman’s. Great if Gauld signs but we still have a lot of rebuilding to do.

LeithMike
04-01-2019, 12:16 PM
Brilliant defender for Hibs and played without fear. On his day (and there were many, many of these occasions) he was a class above our opponents. Hope we can find someone of similar class but with Paul, Darren and Ryan in central defence I'd prefer us to put everything into getting a central midfielder who is a standout.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

jacomo
04-01-2019, 12:21 PM
Gutted, great player and loved watching him in a Hibs shirt.

For all of you acting like jilted lovers... he is likely to sign a contract worth many multiples of his deal with Hibs. In fact his contract at Hibs will have been much, much lower than the one he had at Celtc.

Circumstances meant we enjoyed a great player for two seasons. Better to have loved and lost, than never loved at all...

bigwheel
04-01-2019, 12:22 PM

For all of you acting like jilted lovers... he is likely to sign a contract worth many multiples of his deal with Hibs. In fact his contract at Hibs will have been much, much lower than the one he had at Celtc.

Circumstances meant we enjoyed a great player for two seasons. Better to have lived and lost, than never loved at all...

:top marks

BlackSheep
04-01-2019, 12:23 PM
I'm also in the camp of thanks Efe, but a bit annoyed at the timing and the way in which he has gone.

He left Celtic with a reasonably terrible reputation for making mistakes and under Lennon at Hibs he has shown many of those critics just how good he is.

He was always here for the short term to help him get his citizenship, but to leave on a free is a right gut punch IMHO.

Good luck to him, I hope he gets the move he wants and deserves...

NAE NOOKIE
04-01-2019, 12:28 PM
What a blow this is …. He still had the odd mistake in him, but what an exciting player to watch he was for a centre half. You cant blame him for looking for the big bucks at this stage of his career and for the folk saying he should have stayed, bollox, we were lucky to have him for as long as we did.

Say he is on 3 grand a week at Hibs, 4 with bonuses maybe and he is offered 20K a week elsewhere tomorrow… between now and the start of July he would be giving up around £400,000 just to show his 'gratitude' to Hibs ….. deh think sae.

neil7908
04-01-2019, 12:30 PM
I'm also in the camp of thanks Efe, but a bit annoyed at the timing and the way in which he has gone.

He left Celtic with a reasonably terrible reputation for making mistakes and under Lennon at Hibs he has shown many of those critics just how good he is.

He was always here for the short term to help him get his citizenship, but to leave on a free is a right gut punch IMHO.

Good luck to him, I hope he gets the move he wants and deserves...

Ultimately both him and the club agreed this deal so I don't think it's fair to blamed him. If we weren't happy then we shouldn't have included it in the agreement.

Given its probably his last big contract and the wages he'll get elsewhere I find it hard to be too critical.

He's not a Hibs fan, he's a professional and on the balance of things we were lucky to have him. Even when he joined a lot of the chat was him only staying for 6-12 months.

Waxy
04-01-2019, 12:55 PM
This will be the first time a player has won player of the year after half a season. Good luck EA.

Tornadoes70
04-01-2019, 01:03 PM

Circumstances meant we enjoyed a great player for two seasons. Better to have loved and lost, than never loved at all...

Pathetic.

Just care about the future of our club and players who bolt mid season just after a derby loss are no great loss to me. No 'jilted lover' here. He only really showed what he was all about more towards the end of his contract when he was in the shop window in my opinion.

Move on, he's gone. Let's look to the future of signing decent players who actually want to be at Hibernian.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

bodhibs
04-01-2019, 01:11 PM

Just watched that about 20 times.

Sums up his play the vast majority of his time at Hibs, a couple of class touches then finds feet. Gutted he's away

Scotty Leither
04-01-2019, 01:18 PM
If, according to the website the club had offered him an improved contract (to one of our already highest paid players) then let's hope there's significant monies to bring in Allan, Gauld, and another starting player up front.

I take it somebody's staying at home to pursue deals while we're in Dubai?

superfurryhibby
04-01-2019, 02:02 PM

See below.

Tbf if the rumours of Cardiff being interested are true he's probably 'worth' £20K+ a week. We can't compete with that.

We've had 2 years, 18 month of ownership, from a guy who has probably taken a significant wage drop to come to us even at the top end of our scale.

Pathetic.

Just care about the future of our club and players who bolt mid season just after a derby loss are no great loss to me. No 'jilted lover' here. He only really showed what he was all about more towards the end of his contract when he was in the shop window in my opinion.

Move on, he's gone. Let's look to the future of signing decent players who actually want to be at Hibernian.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

Can't agree with this. Efe has been consistently good since he joined us, maybe the lack of quality around him has brought his own skills into greater focus, but he's always shown us what he's about.

The Harp Awakes
04-01-2019, 02:08 PM
The good news just keeps coming :rolleyes:

Don't worry, we'll get a few journeymen in on the last day of the transfer window who may play odd game for us, before leaving in the Summer. Sorted!

MWHIBBIES
04-01-2019, 03:13 PM
Don't worry, we'll get a few journeymen in on the last day of the transfer window who may play odd game for us, before leaving in the Summer. Sorted!

When was the last time we replaced a core playing with someone like this?

The 90+2
04-01-2019, 03:16 PM
When was the last time we replaced a core playing with someone like this?

McGinn with Hyndman?

MWHIBBIES
04-01-2019, 03:18 PM
McGinn with Hyndman?Don't think Hyndman was intended to replace McGinn at all. Very different players. Hyndman was a 6 month loan, not really a sign of a replacement.

Nevi_SOL
04-01-2019, 03:21 PM
joy to watch..wish him all the best.....more than paid us back..

This exactly 👍🏼

The 90+2
04-01-2019, 03:25 PM
Don't think Hyndman was intended to replace McGinn at all. Very different players. Hyndman was a 6 month loan, not really a sign of a replacement.

Who was brought in to replace McGinn then? It fits the very description short term or not and realistically same as we will replace Ambrose with.

Keyser Sauzee
04-01-2019, 03:27 PM
Gutted he’s away, will be remembered as a cult hero in time. Don’t blame him for wanting away given the offers he’s likely to receive and how poor we’ve been the last few months.

Connollys11
04-01-2019, 03:30 PM
Gutted he’s away, will be remembered as a cult hero in time. Don’t blame him for wanting away given the offers he’s likely to receive and how poor we’ve been the last few months.

A reckon he's made a mistake if I'm being honest. He'll never be a cult hero anywhere else and I think his career will go down the ****ter if he goes to Cardiff.

cleanyman
04-01-2019, 03:44 PM
This has bottom 6 season written all over it

Connollys11
04-01-2019, 03:46 PM

Haha it so does ae everything's fell apart since the Halloween derby

Borderhibbie76
04-01-2019, 03:52 PM
If, according to the website the club had offered him an improved contract (to one of our already highest paid players) then let's hope there's significant monies to bring in Allan, Gauld, and another starting player up front.

I take it somebody's staying at home to pursue deals while we're in Dubai?Someone better be...or there aren't gonna be a lot of ST renewals come March. This season is coming apart at the seams ...ridiculous we have to build half a squad in the next 4 weeks...really shambolic management imo

Good luck to you efe and thanks for the memories

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Sir David Gray
04-01-2019, 04:51 PM

It's far from ideal but let's wait and see what our squad looks like on 31st January before we start writing things off.

Keith_M
04-01-2019, 04:53 PM
AFAIK, nobody is acting like 'jilted lovers'.

It's just that some of us aren't kissing the photos of our ex on the bedside table and wishing them all the best with their new partner... when they're already down the road in his Ferrari and have already forgotten us entirely. *

:wink:

* No, that has never happened to me

:na na:

Hermit Crab
04-01-2019, 05:02 PM
Club will be raging, they will have paid for him to go to Dubai.

Keith_M
04-01-2019, 05:03 PM

Yet another waste of HSL money

:duck:

Billy Whizz
04-01-2019, 05:03 PM

I’m sure the club knew he was away well before today’s announcement

Hermit Crab
04-01-2019, 05:05 PM
Yet another waste of HSL money

:duck:

:tee hee:

Hermit Crab
04-01-2019, 05:06 PM
I’m sure the club knew he was away well before today’s announcement

Should expect a replacement soon then.

MWHIBBIES
04-01-2019, 05:11 PM
Who was brought in to replace McGinn then? It fits the very description short term or not and realistically same as we will replace Ambrose with.Probably Mallan or Horgan. They have more qualities that McGinn has.

2nd part of your post is based on nothing at all. We could replace him with a quality player.

emerald green
04-01-2019, 05:13 PM
Ambrose is an excellent footballer, so different from many of the cloggers playing in our league. It's like the team is slowly being dismantled.

Hibs need to dig deep and try to get quality replacements in asap. That said, it will be easier said than done.

Billy Whizz
04-01-2019, 05:14 PM
Should expect a replacement soon then.

Who knows. Can change a name on club class for free anyway, so you shouldn’t worry about the cost

Hi Heid Yin
04-01-2019, 05:43 PM
My POTY.

Gutted to see him go but I wish him well.

Swedish hibee
04-01-2019, 05:45 PM
Gutted.

Lancs Harp
04-01-2019, 06:12 PM
Well good luck Efe from me. He was great entertainment with no shortage of ability. Caused me several heart attacks but much more often left me in awe of his skills and coolness under pressure. We'll certainly miss his drive from the back, in this current team he was arguably our most creative player!!

But life moves on and the sun will rise again tomorrow like it always does. One door closes another one opens, the transfer window represents opportunity I'll leave that with the powers that be.

Thanks Efe but 'Mon the Hibs is more important.

Eyrie
04-01-2019, 07:25 PM
Disappointed he's chosen to leave, but even more grateful that he gave us eighteen months of quality that should have been outwith our budget.

Best wishes to him.

superfurryhibby
04-01-2019, 07:38 PM

As ever, on the wind-up.

Join the list.

calumhibee1
04-01-2019, 07:41 PM
As ever, on the wind-up.

Join the list.

Declaring you’re sticking someone on the ignore list is like they folk that threaten to delete Facebook in the hope that someone will beg them not to do it.

superfurryhibby
04-01-2019, 07:47 PM
Declaring you’re sticking someone on the ignore list is like they folk that threaten to delete Facebook in the hope that someone will beg them not to do it.

Aye right, you’re also red carded, but I still check in on you for a good laugh. The Hermit is unrelenting misery.

CathroMustStay
04-01-2019, 08:35 PM
Gutted.

Good luck for the future Efe.