PDA

View Full Version : Lennon criticising players again

angus hibby
02-01-2019, 03:49 PM
Whilst talking about all the injuries we’ve had, Lennon publicly saying the players have to take more responsibility when it comes to rehab, diet etc. To me, this is questioning their professionalism. Merited or not?

Could be aimed at any of the players who have been injured and if it’s Gray, Hanlon, Bartley, McGregor, MacLaren etc, think he’s way off the mark here.

All these public rants are getting tiresome and I’m sure the players are thinking the same too.

Keyser Sauzee
02-01-2019, 04:01 PM
How are we to know if they are merited or not? We don’t know how they players are undergoing their rehab?

Viva_Palmeiras
02-01-2019, 04:04 PM
Old news. Can we not just crack on it must we continue the self flagellation into the NY?

SMAXXA
02-01-2019, 04:04 PM
Maybe Hyndman who’s now gone could be as simple as that, he’s saying what everyone is thinking some seem chocolate

B.H.F.C
02-01-2019, 04:11 PM
I think it’s interesting that the two players he mentions as always being available are Ambrose and Whittaker.

Two of our most experienced players but also the most successful in terms of the careers they’ve had. Coincidence, or is it’s because they’ve done more of the ‘right’ things that Lennon talks about?

angus hibby
02-01-2019, 04:11 PM
Old news. Can we not just crack on it must we continue the self flagellation into the NY?

Wasn’t aware it was “old news”. Reported in Evening news today.

Smartie
02-01-2019, 04:13 PM
I think it’s interesting that the two players he mentions as always being available are Ambrose and Whittaker.

Two of our most experienced players but also the most successful in terms of the careers they’ve had. Coincidence, or is it’s because they’ve done more of the ‘right’ things that Lennon talks about?

If he's going to make a point and illustrate if in this way, surely he's going to mention Lewis Stevenson (who I don't recall ever having been injured before now)?

CMac1988
02-01-2019, 04:15 PM
Apologies if posted elsewhere but the article in question for reference.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/neil-lennon-slams-hibs-injury-record-and-orders-players-to-work-on-fitness-1-4850841

Elephant Stone
02-01-2019, 04:18 PM
Don't think I've ever heard a manager criticise a squad for getting injured too much before, seems a bit strange. Don't think public criticism of the squad is going to do much good in the long term either, seems like a bit of a last resort - in which case you might wonder why his day-to-day management isn't working well enough.

bingo70
02-01-2019, 04:20 PM
I’m a bit unsure what to think on this tbh.

On one hand I find it really interesting, I want to take it at face value and hope the players take on board what he’s saying. If I was a player I’d like to think I’d take it constructively and look at how I was looking after myself.

There’s also a bit of me concerned by it though. I don’t think this constant blaming the players Is heathy, I’d rather everyone was in it together, if they’re not listening to him or not playing when he thinks they should I’m not sure that’s a great reflection on his management. The best managers have players running through brick walls for them.

Overall I’m not sure it’s something to get overly concerned about.

ScottB
02-01-2019, 04:20 PM
When a manager reaches this point, publicly calling out players etc a la Jose Mourinho, does it ever end well?

Centre Hawf
02-01-2019, 04:23 PM
Only the players and staff at Hibs will no to what he's really referring to exactly, so for that reason I can't say I agree or disagree with what he's saying.

If theres an element of our squad not pulling their weight and keeping healthy etc then I'll back Lennon to call them out on it. It was something we let fester at East Mains prior to relegation and Stubbs done well to eradicate that culture. If this is Lennon's attempt at doing the same or to chase it away then go ahead.

If however that isn't the case and he's just poking the badger so to speak then he needs to be careful as it can backfire on him having constant pops at his players. Only time will tell though.

Elephant Stone
02-01-2019, 04:25 PM
“I was never the most athletically gifted, but I was fit for every game until I was 37. So, if I can do it, they can do it.'

Guessing and hoping he's got more information to base this idea on than his own injury record. Also, don't think you want players carrying injuries declaring themselves fit out of fear now, then underperforming cause they're injured and risking worsening their injuries.

Billy Whizz
02-01-2019, 04:25 PM
We have had quite a few muscle injuries, can think of Boyle, Agyepong and Stevenson all having hamstring injuries
Rocky, Bogdan, Nelon, and Fraser Murray with groin/calf injuries
Can’t remember exactly what Gray, Hyndman and hanlons injuries exactly were
Add in McLaren with a back problem, and Porteous and Flo with their knee injuries

angus hibby
02-01-2019, 04:27 PM
I’m a bit unsure what to think on this tbh.

On one hand I find it really interesting, I want to take it at face value and hope the players take on board what he’s saying. If I was a player I’d like to think I’d take it constructively and look at how I was looking after myself.

There’s also a bit of me concerned by it though. I don’t think this constant blaming the players Is heathy, I’d rather everyone was in it together, if they’re not listening to him or not playing when he thinks they should I’m not sure that’s a great reflection on his management. The best managers have players running through brick walls for them.

Overall I’m not sure it’s something to get overly concerned about.

I think it is concerning. Publicity critising the strikers and now questioning players professionalism. Mourinho-esque.

bingo70
02-01-2019, 04:29 PM
I think it is concerning. Publicity critising the strikers and now questioning players professionalism. Mourinho-esque.

Mourinho never had a great time of it at Man United but let’s not get carried away, he’s a phenomenal manager that’s achieved a huge amount in the game.

If there’s method to the madness and Lennon is trying the same thing then I’m happy to trust him for now, doesn’t mean I’m totally enamoured by it though.

Smartie
02-01-2019, 04:33 PM
It would be interesting to know exactly who this is aimed at.

Players who were here before him and have served us well in the past or his own signings?

Jones28
02-01-2019, 04:34 PM
When a manager reaches this point, publicly calling out players etc a la Jose Mourinho, does it ever end well?

No, it doesn't.

Hi Heid Yin
02-01-2019, 04:39 PM
As a pro Neil Lennon supporter, I have to admit that even I am questioning this latest outburst by our manager.

It comes across as a manager who is at the end of his tether and beyond "frustrated" at how the half- season has panned out.

I really do hope that there is nothing negative "bubbling away" behind the scenes and that it really is just a case of our Lenny "letting off steam" as he is prone to doing.

The 90+2
02-01-2019, 04:44 PM
Don't think I've ever heard a manager criticise a squad for getting injured too much before, seems a bit strange. Don't think public criticism of the squad is going to do much good in the long term either, seems like a bit of a last resort - in which case you might wonder why his day-to-day management isn't working well enough.

He used to rip Dylan about it to?

blackpoolhibs
02-01-2019, 04:44 PM
I'm pretty sure Whittaker has also been injured at some stage this season? :confused:

bingo70
02-01-2019, 04:45 PM
I'm pretty sure Whittaker has also been injured at some stage this season? :confused:

Ffs here’s mr negative again, give it a rest eh 😜

blackpoolhibs
02-01-2019, 04:46 PM
Ffs here’s mr negative again, give it a rest eh 😜

Sorry. :greengrin

One Day Soon
02-01-2019, 04:51 PM
I'm delighted to read that article. He's absolutely right.

SideBurns
02-01-2019, 04:52 PM
He talks about continuity of selection, when he has chopped and changed the team beyond necessity on several occasions! I can't recall a Hibs manager previously criticising his own players in such a short space of time to such an extent. Lennon has been a great manager for us in my opinion, but I'm fed up reading his comments in the press - is nothing ever his fault?

Elephant Stone
02-01-2019, 04:52 PM

Did he? Dylan seemed to get injured a lot less under Lennon actually :hilarious Lets see how this one plays out.

wookie70
02-01-2019, 04:53 PM
I thought that when I read it too. The part about him bigging his injury free career up would have surely went down well with Hibs heroes like SDG and Hanlon. He needs to stop talking to the press imo as it is only going to make whatever is happening behind the scenes worse

bingo70
02-01-2019, 04:54 PM
As a pro Neil Lennon supporter, I have to admit that even I am questioning this latest outburst by our manager.

It comes across as a manager who is at the end of his tether and beyond "frustrated" at how the half- season has panned out.

I really do hope that there is nothing negative "bubbling away" behind the scenes and that it really is just a case of our Lenny "letting off steam" as he is prone to doing.

Fair play to you, I gave you some jip previously as I felt you wouldn’t criticise Lennon for anything, I was obviously wrong though so hands up, apologies.

It’s crossing my mind that Lennon may be saying this for the players benefit further to their career and not just to get them on the park quicker. If he was to quit tomorrow for example, the players would still do well to follow Whittaker and Efe’s examples for the benefit of their career and for any future manager, what he has said doesn’t really strike me as something a manager would say expecting an immediate difference to be made.

bingo70
02-01-2019, 04:56 PM
I'm delighted to read that article. He's absolutely right.

You don’t know if he’s right or not.

Unless of course you’re the Hibs physio or got access to the medical records of the players he’s talking about.

Fuzzywuzzy
02-01-2019, 04:58 PM

He basically thought that what Dylan was going through was psychosomatic and he had been putting up his own barriers that prevented him from reaching his potential. After it was said it changed his performance and injuries

One Day Soon
02-01-2019, 04:59 PM
You don’t know if he’s right or not.

Unless of course you’re the Hibs physio or got access to the medical records of the players he’s talking about.

I do know that he's right that players need to look after themselves properly and the injury record this season would seem to suggest that at least some of them could be more professional about that. I also don't assume that Lennon is a liar or that he doesn't have access to the advice of the physio or the medical records.

Hi Heid Yin
02-01-2019, 04:59 PM
Fair play to you, I gave you some jip previously as I felt you wouldn’t criticise Lennon for anything, I was obviously wrong though so hands up, apologies.

It’s crossing my mind that Lennon may be saying this for the players benefit further to their career and not just to get them on the park quicker. If he was to quit tomorrow for example, the players would still do well to follow Whittaker and Efe’s examples for the benefit of their career and for any future manager, what he has said doesn’t really strike me as something a manager would say expecting an immediate difference to be made.

And fair play to you bingo70.

:aok:

NAE NOOKIE
02-01-2019, 05:02 PM

Was Mourinho's gripe not that his players were pulling out with injuries which in his opinion they should be able to play with, or was that another big name EPL manager?

Anyway, whatever the case NL doesn't seem very happy with our seemingly never ending injury crisis and who can blame him, its as frustrating as hell for the fans, I hate to think what its doing to him. A lot of the injuries do seem to be soft tissue damage, hamstrings, that sort of thing … Marciano, Agyepong, Gray and McGregor for different reasons probably being the ones doing his head in the most.

We have made a big deal of our dedication to sports science at East Mains and yet it doesn't seem to be making a difference … it sounds to me like they need to stick yoga onto the curriculum to make the players more supple and possibly remind some of the players that until advised otherwise they are being paid to be professional ( with emphasis on the word professional ) athletes and they should treat their bodies accordingly.

There are a number of players who seem to remain injury free more than their peers and who have had careers well into their 30s ….. Perhaps we could do worse than look at the training regime of these guys and see what we can copy. I've said many times, for £2000 a week you are not going to get a player with the talent of Ronaldo, Messi or Ryan Giggs because that's something no amount of coaching or training can give you. But for that money what you should be getting is a player who can pass a ball to a guy in his own team 99 times out of 100 and who is willing to push himself to be as physically fit as possible.

If through a lack of application or a lack of practice you are failing to do one or both of these things you shouldn't be getting paid to play football in my humble opinion.

bingo70
02-01-2019, 05:09 PM
I do know that he's right that players need to look after themselves properly and the injury record this season would seem to suggest that at least some of them could be more professional about that. I also don't assume that Lennon is a liar or that he doesn't have access to the advice of the physio or the medical records.

Do the players not look after themselves properly?

This has never been something that’s been a problem before, have they just stopped looking after themselves this season?

If so, why? If the players are faking it then why? What are they scared of?

I’m assuming they get appearance fee, why would they sacrifice appearance fee for no good reason.

Said it before but if players aren’t playing when they could that isn’t a good reflection of Lennon at all imo.

Baldy Foghorn
02-01-2019, 05:09 PM
Agree with NL on this one.....

Viva_Palmeiras
02-01-2019, 05:15 PM

Unreserved apology owed - sorry Angus! I Should have checked for an updated article first which was posted subsequently.
Lenny is really going for them on this.
For me I think we need to deal with this once and for all and I still what I think JC tried and failed to achieve fitter and more disciplined.

Financially it’s impossible to compete with the Uglies. The one thing we can to is be as fit as we can - no excuse. The marker needs to be laid down as we set a standard and one to be maintained.

Hibeesmad
02-01-2019, 05:22 PM
I think he’s trying to give the players advice to help them rather than have a go at them. Don’t see the problem

J-C
02-01-2019, 05:23 PM
Lennon's calling out players who have the slightest wee knock and are pulling out of games instead if rolling up the sleeves and getting on with it. Whittaker looked to be playing when not fully fit at times, it's that attitude has having a go at. Someone mentioned Stevenson being pretty much injury free, I'd add Boyle to that, gets kicked up and down the park, yet has there next week raring to go,obviously his latest injury is an exception.

Billy Whizz
02-01-2019, 05:24 PM
You just wonder if playing in Europe early, and less of a preseason, has led to muscle injuries

SideBurns
02-01-2019, 05:26 PM
I can't recall a Hibs manager so consistently questioning his players' performances, fitness & general professionalism. I think Lennon did a great job at Hibs in his first two seasons, and last season was one of the most entertaining and enjoyable in the 40 years I've been going to ER, but I have to ask - is nothing ever his fault??

JimBHibees
02-01-2019, 05:27 PM
You just wonder if playing in Europe early, and less of a preseason, has led to muscle injuries

Could be a factor playing more competitive games and also following up with so many games being on artificial surfaces. Not sure of the merit of saying this in public.

JimBHibees
02-01-2019, 05:28 PM
I can't recall a Hibs manager so consistently questioning his players' performances, fitness & general professionalism. I think Lennon did a great job at Hibs in his first two seasons, and last season was one of the most entertaining and enjoyable in the 40 years I've been going to ER, but I have to ask - is nothing ever his fault??

Always find his press interviews a couple of days before games are usually very good and he does seem to accept he makes mistakes and responsibility.

One Day Soon
02-01-2019, 05:34 PM

This has never been something that’s been a problem before, have they just stopped looking after themselves this season?

I’m assuming they get appearance fee, why would they sacrifice appearance fee for no good reason.

Said it before but if players aren’t playing when they could that isn’t a good reflection of Lennon at all imo.

Of course not all players look after themselves properly, we've seen plenty examples of that over the years.

Scott Allan doesn't get a look in at Celtic so he's not getting appearance fees either, doesn't seem to bother him otherwise there would be a transfer request. Plenty of players are on a very good basic so loss of the appearance fee is hardy going to hurt.

If players aren't playing when they could that isn't a good reflection of themselves at all.

emerald green
02-01-2019, 05:40 PM
I could be wrong, but I can't recall any other manager(s) in Scotland coming out with public criticism of his players along these lines.

Smartie
02-01-2019, 05:43 PM
Always find his press interviews a couple of days before games are usually very good and he does seem to accept he makes mistakes and responsibility.

There also doesn't seem to be that many players who have played for him in the past badmouthing him.

Cammy Bell was the most recent one who came out and said that he had a decent knack of calling right when working out how to manage a player - sometimes they need to take constructive criticism for their own good.

His honesty might work against him at times - he's quite open with the media and spoken words that are in reality quite constructive can appear different when written down. Basically he's a headline writer's dream.

The team has been struggling and we're all looking for stuff to pin the fact on.

Smartie
02-01-2019, 05:44 PM
I could be wrong, but I can't recall any other manager(s) in Scotland coming out with public criticism of his players along these lines.

John Collins, Paul Le Guen?

bingo70
02-01-2019, 05:49 PM
Of course not all players look after themselves properly, we've seen plenty examples of that over the years.

Scott Allan doesn't get a look in at Celtic so he's not getting appearance fees either, doesn't seem to bother him otherwise there would be a transfer request. Plenty of players are on a very good basic so loss of the appearance fee is hardy going to hurt.

If players aren't playing when they could that isn't a good reflection of themselves at all.

No comparison at all here with Scott Allan, totally different situations and don’t see why he’s being brought into it tbh?

All players just want to play football, if they’re choosing not to then I personally have concerns about the environment that’s been created at the club.

I’m sure there’s method to his madness and he’s not just ranting for the sake of it but I’d be surprised if this sees an improvement in our injury list in the second half of the season.

emerald green
02-01-2019, 05:49 PM
John Collins, Paul Le Guen?

Well remembered as regards Collins. That didn't end well IIRC.

I can't comment on Le Guen.

hibsbollah
02-01-2019, 05:55 PM

Collins was right. His failure to spot a player notwithstanding, he got a lot right.

emerald green
02-01-2019, 05:59 PM
Collins was right. His failure to spot a player notwithstanding, he got a lot right.

I agree.

angus hibby
02-01-2019, 06:05 PM

Players more than ever before look after themselves off the pitch. I’m sure they all eat the right things, rest appropriately, do gym work etc. I’m sure on one of the DVD’s (possibly the Championship winning one) you saw the players being questioned about their sleep patterns etc. To question their professionalism is a very low blow as far as I’m concerned.

Smartie
02-01-2019, 06:09 PM

Le Guen was a success in France.

When he attempted the same methods and expected the same levels of professionalism in Scotland the players clubbed together to get him forced out.

All he was trying to do was instil a bit of proper professionalism but came up against the usual objections re diet, alcohol etc.

Iirc Barry Ferguson was a chief instigator of the trouble.

I also agree that Collins was right about a lot. We could have been ahead of the curve if we'd been able to tough out a few dodgy spells together. We had some decent youngsters at that time - getting the youngsters to buy into his philosophy didn't seem to be a problem. If he'd had a Garry Parker working with him, or someone with an eye for a player Stubbs style then we'd have been onto a winner.

It would never have been plain sailing all the way, but I think it would have been worth it.

hibsbollah
02-01-2019, 06:10 PM
Players more than ever before look after themselves off the pitch. I’m sure they all eat the right things, rest appropriately, do gym work etc. I’m sure on one of the DVD’s (possibly the Championship winning one) you saw the players being questioned about their sleep patterns etc. To question their professionalism is a very low blow as far as I’m concerned.

I think this is very optimistic. I'd say a sizeable minority don't.

silverhibee
02-01-2019, 06:13 PM

Was Whittaker not injured a bit at the start of the season, seemed to think he was in and out the team, pretty sure he looks after himself fitness wise as well, maybe some yoga.

Players coming back from and injury and out golfing walking round a golf course can't be good for these players, to many bonding nights out, all things Lennon is allowing players to do, find it a bit hard for the manager to think that the players aren't looking after themselves, this has to be the best behaved group of players we have had for a wee while now and I'm pretty sure they will be doing all the right things.

But would seem it will all be sorted in Dubai and the players will all be fit again, don't know how easy that will be but couldn't he have done it a few weeks ago. :greengrin

Joe6-2
02-01-2019, 06:14 PM

Apart from the rights and wrongs, let's totally ignore anything that rag prints

neil7908
02-01-2019, 06:14 PM
I don't know enough about the medical side of football and injuries but it seems pretty crazy to suggest that all of the squad (including seasoned Hibs veterans like Stevenson, Gray and Hanlon) are ignoring medical advice and failing in a basic part of their job in keeping themselves fit.

Despsite criticism of modern footballers I would be gobsmacked if they would rather be in the treatment room than out playing.

Maybe some are ignoring advice from the medical staff but if the squad as a whole are doing it (particularly the ones mentioned above) that indicates something is seriously wrong.

emerald green
02-01-2019, 06:15 PM
Le Guen was a success in France.

When he attempted the same methods and expected the same levels of professionalism in Scotland the players clubbed together to get him forced out.

All he was trying to do was instil a bit of proper professionalism but came up against the usual objections re diet, alcohol etc.

Iirc Barry Ferguson was a chief instigator of the trouble.

I also agree that Collins was right about a lot. We could have been ahead of the curve if we'd been able to tough out a few dodgy spells together. We had some decent youngsters at that time - getting the youngsters to buy into his philosophy didn't seem to be a problem. If he'd had a Garry Parker working with him, or someone with an eye for a player Stubbs style then we'd have been onto a winner.

It would never have been plain sailing all the way, but I think it would have been worth it.

Thanks for reminding me about Le Guen. Ferguson stirring it at Ibrox rings a bell now you mention it.

The bit in bold. We'll never know now unfortunately.

As regards Neil Lennon, I just hope he knows what he's doing.

Joe6-2

This,

The Modfather
While he might have some valid points, until I hear Lennon talk about the mistakes he has made this season rather than his one sided take on the season I don’t want to hear anymore from him.

It’s not practical, but I’d love to get the players’ take on things this season for some balance.

One Day Soon
02-01-2019, 06:18 PM
No comparison at all here with Scott Allan, totally different situations and don’t see why he’s being brought into it tbh?

All players just want to play football, if they’re choosing not to then I personally have concerns about the environment that’s been created at the club.

I’m sure there’s method to his madness and he’s not just ranting for the sake of it but I’d be surprised if this sees an improvement in our injury list in the second half of the season.

Any player not getting a game and without prospect of one isn't getting an appearance fee. You'd imagine if appearance fees were the motivation you implied then they would take action: get fitter, train harder, look after themselves better to avoid injury, request a transfer etc.

Their choosing not to usually has nothing to do with the atmosphere at the club. I well remember a senior Jambo of my acquaintance explaining how Kenny Black had a bad long term ankle injury....in his head.

I'm sure there's method there too. He's an excellent manager and I don't see why he shouldn't call out what he sees and knows.

silverhibee
02-01-2019, 06:24 PM

Was Whittaker not injured a bit at the start of the season, seemed to think he was in and out the team, pretty sure he looks after himself fitness wise as well, maybe some yoga.

Players coming back from and injury and out golfing walking round a golf course can't be good for these players, to many bonding nights out, all things Lennon is allowing players to do, find it a bit hard for the manager to think that the players aren't looking after themselves, this has to be the best behaved group of players we have had for a wee while now and I'm pretty sure they will be doing all the right things.

But would seem it will all be sorted in Dubai and the players will all be fit again, don't know how easy that will be but couldn't he have done it a few weeks ago. :greengrin

J-C
02-01-2019, 06:28 PM

Stevenson was one of the players very much influenced by Collins and he's one of the fittest very seldom injured players in the league.

silverhibee
02-01-2019, 06:35 PM

Doubt it Billy, don't see the other teams who were in Europe being ravaged with injuries.

hibsbollah
02-01-2019, 06:37 PM
Stevenson was one of the players very much influenced by Collins and he's one of the fittest very seldom injured players in the league.

I met Lewis in November 2006, when he wasn't much more than a boy. A really nice character, he talked happily for ages and he clearly held Collins in high regard. In those days he had a very small build, totally unrecognisable from his physique today. I'm guessing this is partly down to the work ethic that he learnt from Collins.

angus hibby
02-01-2019, 06:45 PM
Apart from the rights and wrongs, let's totally ignore anything that rag prints

Even when it has direct quotes from our manager....?

Billy Whizz
02-01-2019, 06:45 PM
Doubt it Billy, don't see the other teams who were in Europe being ravaged with injuries.

You’d be surprised Silver. Rangers and Celtic have had a lot of injuries too! I’m not saying solely down to that, must be a contributing factor. Can’t remember Stevenson having a muscle injury, but he was on Scotland duty pre season as well

Aberdeen to be fair only had 2 local games against Burnley

Anyway the most important thing is the injuries clear up, and NL has the best players to pick from

bingo70
02-01-2019, 06:49 PM
You’d be surprised Silver. Rangers and Celtic have had a lot of injuries too! I’m not saying solely down to that, must be a contributing factor. Can’t remember Stevenson having a muscle injury, but he was on Scotland duty pre season as well

Aberdeen to be fair only had 2 local games against Burnley

Anyway the most important thing is the injuries clear up, and NL has the best players to pick from

Burnley really struggling this season too.

Borderhibbie76
02-01-2019, 06:53 PM
He talks about continuity of selection, when he has chopped and changed the team beyond necessity on several occasions! I can't recall a Hibs manager previously criticising his own players in such a short space of time to such an extent. Lennon has been a great manager for us in my opinion, but I'm fed up reading his comments in the press - is nothing ever his fault?No apparently not...another episode of the Lennon blame game...it really is getting tiresome now tbh. Yes we've suffered with injuries but the Lennon roulette with starting line ups hasn't helped continuity neither and this public criticism of players every 5 mins is becoming a concern. Actually had a Jambo say to me at work today he doesn't think the players were playing for Lennon in the Derby...he also admitted that's the poorest Hearts team to win at ER in a while...interesting perspective I thought...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

silverhibee
02-01-2019, 06:55 PM
I think this is very optimistic. I'd say a sizeable minority don't.

I would think the biggest majority will eat the right things and rest when needed, not all will do extra gym work though, but will do stretching and stuff like that.

allmodcons
02-01-2019, 07:00 PM
He basically thought that what Dylan was going through was psychosomatic and he had been putting up his own barriers that prevented him from reaching his potential. After it was said it changed his performance and injuries

IMO Lennon took Dylan from being a decent player to a very good one. It's no coincidence that Dylan's best form was during the 2nd half of last season after Lennon spoke with him regarding the psychological issues you refer to and, indeed, making said conversation with Dylan public knowledge.

bingo70
02-01-2019, 07:01 PM
IMO Lennon took Dylan from being a decent player to a very good one. It's no coincidence that Dylan's best form was the the 2nd half of last season after Lennon spoke with him and regarding the psychological issues you refer to and, indeed, making said conversation public knowledge.

Did he?

I remember reading about it on here, don’t remember Lennon making it public?

allmodcons
02-01-2019, 07:10 PM
Did he?

I remember reading about it on here, don’t remember Lennon making it public?

100% he did. That's the only reason I know anything about it.

coco mc
02-01-2019, 07:15 PM
I know from one player directly that he himself has questioned his teammates professionalism in regards with recovery etc . And about 2 weeks after the player he specifically mentioned got injured !!

J-C
02-01-2019, 08:00 PM
IMO Lennon took Dylan from being a decent player to a very good one. It's no coincidence that Dylan's best form was during the 2nd half of last season after Lennon spoke with him and regarding the psychological issues you refer to and, indeed, making said conversation with Dylan public knowledge.

It's also no coincidence that Dylan went to see a professional recommended by Snodgrass to help his well known hip problems, afterwards he was one of the best midfielders in the league last season, totally fit and injury free.

bawheid
02-01-2019, 08:00 PM
It’s going to be very interesting to see how all of this pans out. Could go either of two ways. We’ll either finish 10th or 3rd!

pacoluna
02-01-2019, 08:08 PM
Neil Lennon is the antichrist.

hibsbollah
02-01-2019, 08:09 PM
Neil Lennon is the anti-christ.

Tam McCourt fits in to all this how?

Edit. One of my highlights of 2018....

Tam packed his bag last night pre-game
Zero hour nine A.M.
And he's gonnae be high as a kite on Persil fumes by then

He miss his fork so much, he miss his tufing knife
It's lonely out in East Mains
On such a timeless plight

And he thinks it's gonnae be a long long time
'Til kick off brings him 'round again to find
he disnae wash his breeks that gid at home
Oh, no, no, no.
He's a Hibskit man
Hibskit man burning out his tumble dryer fuse up here alone

Oh, no, no, no.
He's a Hibskit man

East Mains ain't the kind o place to wash your kit alone
In fact it's cold as hell
And there's no one there to wash them if he didnae

And all this Washing powder science he disnae understand
It's just his job 6 days a week
A Hibskit man, a Hibskit man

And he thinks it's gonna be a long long time
Oh, no, no, no.
He's a Hibskit man

Oh, no, no, no.
He's a Hibskit man

And Tam thinks it's gonnae be a long long time..."

Tyler Durden
02-01-2019, 08:14 PM
IMO Lennon took Dylan from being a decent player to a very good one. It's no coincidence that Dylan's best form was during the 2nd half of last season after Lennon spoke with him and regarding the psychological issues you refer to and, indeed, making said conversation with Dylan public knowledge.

I don’t think McGeouch’s form was any better in second half of last season. He missed a number of games towards the end.

Dylan was brilliant whenever he was fit throughout his time here. I don’t really think Lennon deserves any credit for improving him IMO. He matured and obviously played more games but not sure that was due to Lennon.

Hi Heid Yin
02-01-2019, 08:18 PM

Zero hour nine A.M.

Oh, no, no, no.
He's a Hibskit man

Oh, no, no, no.
He's a Hibskit man

Oh, no, no, no.
He's a Hibskit man

Oh, no, no, no.
He's a Hibskit man

:tee hee::tee hee:

allmodcons
02-01-2019, 08:25 PM
I don’t think McGeouch’s form was any better in second half of last season. He missed a number of games towards the end.

Dylan was brilliant whenever he was fit throughout his time here. I don’t really think Lennon deserves any credit for improving him IMO. He matured and obviously played more games but not sure that was due to Lennon.

Dylan's biggest problem was his not playing enough games and this was due to the psychological issues he was facing.

It's disingenuous of you to forget the part played by Lennon in getting Dylan to believe in himself.

There is no doubting his best and most consistent spell of form was the 6 months prior to him leaving Hibs when he played alongside SJM and Scott Allan

Hibeesmad
02-01-2019, 08:26 PM

Neil Lennon went to McGeough’s house as a youngster to sign him for Celtic and gave him his debut. Lennon deserves every credit for McGeough’s progression as a footballer and I’m sure McGeough himself would say the same

Tyler Durden
02-01-2019, 08:37 PM
Dylan's biggest problem was his not playing enough games and this was due to the psychological issues he was facing.

It's disingenuous of you to forget the part played by Lennon in getting Dylan to believe in himself.

There is no doubting his best and most consistent spell of form was the 6 months prior to him leaving Hibs when he played alongside SJM and Scott Allan

Not intending to be disingenuous. Last year Dylan played many more games and therefore yes - more consistent in that sense. At a higher level also I suppose. However he always played great whenever he started, that was all I meant.

I genuinely don’t know whether Lennon helped him beat psychological issues.

James Stephen
02-01-2019, 10:00 PM

I think im reluctantly coming to this realisation too... we dont have many similarities with Man Utd, but Mourinhos departure has a lot of paralells to Lenny's repeated barbs at his players.

I cant help but feel that he is trying to protect his own reputation, knowing fine well that if he is seen to fail at this job, his career will be on a serious downwards trajectory.

ScottB
03-01-2019, 12:38 PM
I think im reluctantly coming to this realisation too... we dont have many similarities with Man Utd, but Mourinhos departure has a lot of paralells to Lenny's repeated barbs at his players.

I cant help but feel that he is trying to protect his own reputation, knowing fine well that if he is seen to fail at this job, his career will be on a serious downwards trajectory.

It creates a no win situation for both sides really. The team isn't performing, so the manager is on the defensive, he's decided it's not his fault, or, at least, he doesn't want to say it's his fault, so he's attacking the players, blaming them. Makes it likely that the players then, either consciously or subconsciously, down tools, because they're sick of it and want rid of him, and if things improved, they'd be validating the public complaints that it was all 'their' fault, so perhaps it's better to coast along and will then return to their best once he's out the door, making it look like it was all the now ex manager's fault. Pretty much what we've seen happen at Man Utd - Mourinho lost the dressing room with his continual moaning, selection changes and tactics, but the second he's gone all is rosy and they've won 4 in a row.

I can't imagine players enjoy being called out in public, having their professionalism questioned etc, whether there's truth in it or not. Ultimately, if enough of them come to the conclusion they've had enough of a manager, well, what's the most effective way to bring about a change? Crap results...

Monts
03-01-2019, 01:16 PM

Did Dylans upturn in fortunes not come after seeing a specialist about his groin troubles? Lennon had suggested he thought the problem was just in Dylans head, but the results from the specialist treatment seemed to disprove that? :confused:

J-C
03-01-2019, 02:52 PM
Did Dylans upturn in fortunes not come after seeing a specialist about his groin troubles? Lennon had suggested he thought the problem was just in Dylans head, but the results from the specialist treatment seemed to disprove that? :confused:

It did, Snodgrass had the same problem and he went to the specialist he went to.

Pedantic_Hibee
03-01-2019, 03:06 PM

Zero hour nine A.M.

Oh, no, no, no.
He's a Hibskit man

Oh, no, no, no.
He's a Hibskit man

Oh, no, no, no.
He's a Hibskit man

Oh, no, no, no.
He's a Hibskit man

That was my favourite post of last year 😂

The 90+2
03-01-2019, 03:48 PM
That was my favourite post of last year 😂

Who posted it?

cookin_on_gaz
03-01-2019, 03:52 PM
I think this is very optimistic. I'd say a sizeable minority don't.I done some work for a pro rugby player a few years back and his club provided all his meals through a posh kind of meals on wheels service. Everything was high in protein etc and decided by sports scientists. I would have thought we would do similar but it appears not.

Sent from my AGS-W09 using Tapatalk

J-C
03-01-2019, 04:19 PM
I done some work for a pro rugby player a few years back and his club provided all his meals through a posh kind of meals on wheels service. Everything was high in protein etc and decided by sports scientists. I would have thought we would do similar but it appears not.

The old adage leading a horse to water springs to mind, you can do all the nutrition stuff but if a players then sods off to Greggs after training, there's not much the club can do unless they find out about it. I remember a Charlie Adam's interview where he said he was terrible when at Rangers and he didn't understand all the diet stuff, he said he was unfit and playing at 75% of his potential, only when he went down south did he get his eyes opened up.

There could be many things Lennon is having ago at them about, diet, training, rehab training, everything is in place for the players to be the best they can be, it's up to the to use all the facilities to the fullest and if they don't they won't last long here.

cookin_on_gaz
03-01-2019, 04:44 PM
The old adage leading a horse to water springs to mind, you can do all the nutrition stuff but if a players then sods off to Greggs after training, there's not much the club can do unless they find out about it. I remember a Charlie Adam's interview where he said he was terrible when at Rangers and he didn't understand all the diet stuff, he said he was unfit and playing at 75% of his potential, only when he went down south did he get his eyes opened up.

There could be many things Lennon is having ago at them about, diet, training, rehab training, everything is in place for the players to be the best they can be, it's up to the to use all the facilities to the fullest and if they don't they won't last long here.I do like a good adage [emoji4], and it's hard to disagree with any of your points.

hibsbollah
03-01-2019, 10:03 PM
Who posted it?

Someone called Anti hoofbaw:not worth

Bet he disnae wash his breeks that gid at home

The 90+2
03-01-2019, 10:09 PM
Someone called Anti hoofbaw:not worth

Bet he disnae wash his breeks that gid at home

😃 amazing.