PDA

View Full Version : Your greatest Scottish sporting failure

Sammy7nil
02-01-2019, 09:48 AM
The other thread got me thinking what would it be ?

I suppose until 2016 Hibs and our cup record would be up there.

The one that jumped into my mind was Hearts when the lost they league and cup double.

Another strange one that popped into my mind was Tom McKean great athlete who won several Euro titles yet was knocked out in qualifying twice trying to coast through in the 800m.

Bostonhibby
02-01-2019, 09:52 AM
Hearts didn't do the double in 86?

Jeez, what were all those hats and T shirts about then?

Close the thread now, we have a winner.

Special mention for Stevie G's magic trip season.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Sammy7nil
02-01-2019, 10:01 AM
Another has to be the National teams failure to qualify for a tournament.

Pretty Boy
02-01-2019, 10:11 AM
Colin Montgomeries blow up at the 2006 US Open must he close. Fought himself into the lead and hit a perfect tee shot on the 18th. In cirumstances outwith his control he had to wait to play his 2nd shot and, by his own admission, his nerve started to go and he overthought it. Was hesistant with his shot, missed the green and walked off with a double bogey. Even a bogey would have got him into a play off.

Sammy7nil
02-01-2019, 10:17 AM
Colin Montgomeries blow up at the 2006 US Open must he close. Fought himself into the lead and hit a perfect tee shot on the 18th. In cirumstances outwith his control he had to wait to play his 2nd shot and, by his own admission, his nerve started to go and he overthought it. Was hesistant with his shot, missed the green and walked off with a double bogey. Even a bogey would have got him into a play off.

Yip I forgot about that one, I remember the commentator saying after he hit his drive he is about to win his first Major.

cleanyman
02-01-2019, 10:20 AM
Monty

Bottle job

Hendry's miss on the black at the Masters

Sore one

and Rangers failing to beat DU in '94

Smartie
02-01-2019, 10:26 AM
The 1978 World Cup.

TBH you could probably take all of the World Cups we qualified for and then didn't play all that well at between 1974 and 1990. I know some will probably come on here and say "aye but we did ok at ........" but when you consider the talent we had available at that time relative to the competition, we really should have at some point in history have got beyond the groups.

bigwheel
02-01-2019, 10:45 AM
Tbh. As painful as it is to write.....our fall from comfortable mid table to relegation under Butcher, mixed in with the Tynecastle relegation party, adding last minute Hamilton equaliser has to be up there with any sporting failure in recent times

In hindsight, it also allowed us to revitalise and fall in love with our club again...but it had all the hallmarks of a spectacular failure at the time...

Hearts failure that always makes me laugh is the Easter Road, high-fiving celebration at a late corner from Ryan Stevenson only for 9 man Inverness to equalise and go through on penalty kicks ...

Hibernia&Alba
02-01-2019, 10:46 AM
Losing to Costa Rica in the 1990 World Cup. Shameful.

Joe6-2
02-01-2019, 11:06 AM
The 1978 World Cup.

TBH you could probably take all of the World Cups we qualified for and then didn't play all that well at between 1974 and 1990. I know some will probably come on here and say "aye but we did ok at ........" but when you consider the talent we had available at that time relative to the competition, we really should have at some point in history have got beyond the groups.

Still annoys me that one, really was our best ever chance of going further in the tournament, one I don't ever see being repeated

Diclonius
02-01-2019, 11:09 AM
The Scotland narional team, period.

The 90+2
02-01-2019, 11:09 AM
That girl in the ice skating at the Olympics has to be the most recent one?

Bristolhibby
02-01-2019, 11:39 AM
Super Bowl 51

Atlanta Falcons 28-3 up at half time vs the Patriots.

Tom Brady turns it on and the Patriots win 34-28 in overtime.

Got to be one of the biggest chokes in sporting history.

J

Galahibby
02-01-2019, 11:41 AM
Potter’s 4-6-0 has to be up there.

(Potter’s entire career actually, now I come to think about it :clown:)

Hibernia&Alba
02-01-2019, 11:41 AM
Super Bowl 51

Atlanta Falcons 28-3 up at half time vs the Patriots.

Tom Brady turns it on and the Patriots win 34-28 in overtime.

Got to be one of the biggest chokes in sporting history.

J

Aye, though not very Scottish :greengrin

Hibernia&Alba
02-01-2019, 11:42 AM
Newcastle 96

Think they were 14 points clear at one point.

Am I the only yin who can see the word SCOTTISH? :greengrin

tartanhibee
02-01-2019, 11:43 AM
Am I the only yin who can see the word SCOTTISH? :greengrin

Yes thought I’d got away with that 😂

The 90+2
02-01-2019, 11:49 AM
Yes thought I’d got away with that 😂

Shaka Hislop is a close friend of his compatriot Jason Scotland 👍

Northernhibee
02-01-2019, 12:01 PM
Hearts at Dens Park and I’m not exaggerating because it’s them. One and a half hands on that trophy.

Greentinted
02-01-2019, 12:20 PM
Brian Whittle - Bridesmaid to the not particularly wonderful Tom Mckean and now a complete prick of a Tory MSP.
Special Mentions for Messrs C.Levein and G. MacKay and the Hearts squad of 1965.

Austinho
02-01-2019, 12:52 PM
Celtic blowing the title in stoppage time at Fir Park – Helicopter Sunday. Sadly I was there that day to watch Rangers eventually lift the trophy at Easter Road.

heretoday
02-01-2019, 12:55 PM
I'm old enough to remember the 1965 league decider with Killie pipping Hearts. At the time it seemed tough luck. Now we'd be dancing in the streets.

Bristolhibby
02-01-2019, 01:06 PM
Aye, though not very Scottish :greengrin

Fair play, didn’t read the word Scottish.

Still a great choke.

J

Bristolhibby
02-01-2019, 01:08 PM
Celtic blowing the title in stoppage time at Fir Park – Helicopter Sunday. Sadly I was there that day to watch Rangers eventually lift the trophy at Easter Road.

And us qualifying for Europe for the first time in years.

Bizarre game. 0-1 down suiting both teams, playing like a kick about.

The fear was if we gave them a game, they skelp us and we’d lose Europe.

Very odd game.

First time I invaded a pitch though. Glad I managed to get onto Easter Road.

J

Newry Hibs
02-01-2019, 01:25 PM
The 1978 World Cup.

Yes the '78 world cup set me on a lifetime of football disappointments (with a couple of notable exceptions). It was the first tournament I was really into (aged 12). At school in Luton getting friendly dogs abuse about 'Ally's army' and that record. However I had it all planned out with the fixtures on the back of my exercise book - just waiting for the inevitable group decider against the Dutch.

Jeez - school after each match was a bind! Even glorious failure against Holland didn't ease the torment.

I still say it was the blue shorts!!

Famous Fiver
02-01-2019, 04:14 PM
Two up with ten minutes to go at home in a Cup Tie against a team of jakey spoonburners and fouling up will do me.

Pretty Boy
02-01-2019, 04:23 PM

It's probably harsh but the 02/03 season for Celtic ended up a bit of a flop as well. At Christmas they were talking about a quadruple. As it turned out they finished 2nd in the league, lost the LC final, got beat in the SC quarter finals and lost the UEFA Cup final. I'm sure their fans have great memories but a season that promised everything ended without a trophy.

calumb
02-01-2019, 04:29 PM
Hearts at Dens Park and I’m not exaggerating because it’s them. One and a half hands on that trophy.

MITA won the league, MITA won the cup was the joke at the time 😁

NAE NOOKIE
02-01-2019, 04:37 PM
That girl in the ice skating at the Olympics has to be the most recent one?

Yeh, she sprang to mind for me as well, a world champion and everything but as soon as somebody said the word Olympics she turned into Bambi … felt heart sorry for her to be honest.

That aside the Scottish national side in Argentina 78 ….. Drawing with Iran was as shameful a performance as a Scottish team will ever come up with, a bunch of charlatans who destroyed a fine man, a man who should have been able to go for a cup of tea and a fag as his players annihilated a team on paper miles out of their league.

Sammy7nil
02-01-2019, 05:35 PM
Sorry just thought of another a team scored in the 90th min to go 4-2 up and failed to win. Yip it as Hibs at Tinycastle.

One Day Soon
02-01-2019, 05:35 PM
Argentina '78. I'll be bitter about that until the day I die.

hibbyfraelibby
02-01-2019, 07:46 PM
Dundee picking up our mantle if not winning the Scottish Cup in over a century.

Bristolhibby
02-01-2019, 10:11 PM
Sorry just thought of another a team scored in the 90th min to go 4-2 up and failed to win. Yip it as Hibs at Tinycastle.

That was a sore one. Felt like a defeat.

J

Bristolhibby
02-01-2019, 10:14 PM
Rugby wise, this was pretty bad.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/8508259.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/8514614.stm

J

bigwheel
02-01-2019, 10:15 PM
Dundee picking up our mantle if not winning the Scottish Cup in over a century.

Don't think it compares really...we had had what 11 or 12 failed final attempts? Think they have had one or two....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Radium
02-01-2019, 10:29 PM
Yeh, she sprang to mind for me as well, a world champion and everything but as soon as somebody said the word Olympics she turned into Bambi … felt heart sorry for her to be honest.

That aside the Scottish national side in Argentina 78 ….. Drawing with Iran was as shameful a performance as a Scottish team will ever come up with, a bunch of charlatans who destroyed a fine man, a man who should have been able to go for a cup of tea and a fag as his players annihilated a team on paper miles out of their league.

In terms of the Iran game I bumped into this when I had too much time on my hands recently. Scottish manager working in Iran at the time contacted MacLeod. Had never heard of Danny McLennan

https://youtu.be/_HtmPXFZInk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Connollys11
02-01-2019, 10:32 PM
Just missing out on qualifying for Euro 2008 When we had the group of death (again) that was very painful indeed.

mim
02-01-2019, 11:06 PM
I'm old enough to remember the 1965 league decider with Killie pipping Hearts. At the time it seemed tough luck. Now we'd be dancing in the streets.

I'll vote for this :greengrin

I was actually at the game.

Hearts could afford to lose 1-0 and, if they scored a goal, Killie would have needed 4 (because of goal average).

The game ended 2-0 to Killie.

Killie's goal difference was 29. Hearts goal difference was 41, not that it mattered at the time.

It did matter in 1986, when Hearts had a better goal average than Celtic, but a worse goal difference.

Sad,eh?? :greengrin

DetroitHibs
02-01-2019, 11:19 PM
Being 6-2 up against Motherwell ranks up there.

NORTHERNHIBBY
02-01-2019, 11:42 PM
The national team of the seventies not achieving their potential

MWHIBBIES
03-01-2019, 12:49 AM
Being 6-2 up against Motherwell ranks up there.

In greatest Scottish sporting failures? Doubt it makes the top 100

Forza Fred
03-01-2019, 04:01 AM
The Albert Kidd situation

FilipinoHibs
03-01-2019, 07:40 AM
The 1978 World Cup.

Yes agree we were outside bet ton win it. Lost to Peru, scrapped a draw with Iran!