PDA

View Full Version : Winter Break to Dubai

Keyser Sauzee
02-01-2019, 12:17 AM
Sorry if this is posted anywhere else but when do/did the team fly out?
Just curious as Rocky’s Mrs has posted on Instagram that they’re away on a trip and it’s not to Dubai, is there a reason Rocky isn’t going with the team?

andrew70
02-01-2019, 12:19 AM
Just curious as Rocky’s Mrs has posted on Instagram that they’re away on a trip and it’s not to Dubai, is there a reason Rocky isn’t going with the team?

They have a few days off before they go to Dubai next Monday

Keyser Sauzee
02-01-2019, 12:20 AM
I see, thanks 👍🏼

Itsnoteasy
02-01-2019, 12:24 AM

I think it has also been posted previously that with Rocky being an Israeli he will be refused entry to Dubai.

Keyser Sauzee
02-01-2019, 12:25 AM
I think it has also been posted previously that with Rocky being an Israeli he will be refused entry to Dubai.

Didn’t know that was the case either, everyday is a school day. Cheers

Future17
02-01-2019, 12:30 AM

If that's true, the Club should not have booked the trip.

NAE NOOKIE
02-01-2019, 01:04 AM

Its possible I suppose that Marciano's injury means he cant train and so was allowed to miss the trip anyway and go away with his wife for a break.

But if that isn't the case and he cant go because Israelis are not allowed entry to Dubai then like you I cant believe Hibs booked a trip to that destination, what sort of a message does that send to Rocky and his family? There's a pile of warm countries with good facilities where Hibs could have gone, why pick one where a player is barred because of his nationality.

At best ill thought out, at worst disrespectful to an important player.

southern hibby
02-01-2019, 01:51 AM
I was thinking of going across to watch the ( supposed ) friendly on the Friday. However as Hibs have not mentioned if this is happening or who we are playing etc etc etc, I thought why spend all that money on a game that may not even take place.

There is fans booked to go over and I think it really is poor from Hibs not mentioning anything reference this friendly because it’s a lot of money to find out that it’s not happening or behind closed doors.

GGTTH

Hibbyradge
02-01-2019, 03:13 AM
I was thinking of going across to watch the ( supposed ) friendly on the Friday. However as Hibs have not mentioned if this is happening or who we are playing etc etc etc, I thought why spend all that money on a game that may not even take place.

There is fans booked to go over and I think it really is poor from Hibs not mentioning anything reference this friendly because it’s a lot of money to find out that it’s not happening or behind closed doors.

GGTTH

Eh?

Hibs haven't mentioned a game. There might not be one.

Yet folk are going in the hope that there will be one?

And you blame Hibs?

Sir David Gray
02-01-2019, 05:15 AM
It's a disgrace that we are going to a country where one of our players can't go.

Forza Fred
02-01-2019, 06:38 AM
They have a few days off before they go to Dubai next Monday

They fly out Saturday evening

Brooster
02-01-2019, 06:56 AM
Eh?

And you blame Hibs?

I know guys who are going, Hibs have assured them that there's a friendly on the Friday.

southern hibby
02-01-2019, 08:21 AM
Eh?

And you blame Hibs?

HR, I get what you say but according to Hibs fansrep they are waiting for international clearance. I’m not blaming anyone I’m saying there is no communication from Hibs which is wrong.

All it takes is an announcement ( officially ) to tell us what’s happening but absolutely nothing. Hibs will however send out numerous texts, letters etc when it comes to time to renew season tickets.

GGTTH

Jim44
02-01-2019, 08:27 AM
Given the speculation, I wonder if Ambrose will make the trip.

SirDavidsNapper
02-01-2019, 08:35 AM
Annoys me a bit they're going anywhere. They should be at East Mains trying to sort out their pathetic form not rewarded with a trip to Dubai

bigwheel
02-01-2019, 08:50 AM
Annoys me a bit they're going anywhere. They should be at East Mains trying to sort out their pathetic form not rewarded with a trip to Dubai

If it results in a better working environment for them, I'm all for it...if they had stayed at home, today (with this weather) they would likely have to be inside in the small Astro area...that wouldn't particularly be the best training set up for them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

green with envy
02-01-2019, 08:55 AM

You're easily annoyed, don't you have a life outside of Hibs? - also has it not occurred to you that "their pathetic form" can be addressed in warmer climes.

Tarrahib
02-01-2019, 09:06 AM
I just hope they can fill the plane up with new signings and loan deals.That way all the new players would be able to gel and make the expense of the trip worthwhile.

Eyrie
02-01-2019, 09:49 AM

Surely you mean getting changed at East Mains, then going for a run to Gullane where they pound the dunes for a couple hours before running back?

matty_f
02-01-2019, 09:51 AM

That's the spirit!

hibsbollah
02-01-2019, 09:55 AM
Surely you mean getting changed at East Mains, then going for a run to Gullane where they pound the dunes for a couple hours before running back?

I yearn for the days when Russell and Franck used to have their dodge the dog turds at Peffermill. You could hear their shouts floating downwind from the biscuit factory #wistfulsigh

calumhibee1
02-01-2019, 09:59 AM
If it results in a better working environment for them, I'm all for it...if they had stayed at home, today (with this weather) they would likely have to be inside in the small Astro area...that wouldn't particularly be the best training set up for them.

Working in Dubai would be a better environment for me aswell but I don’t get to do it :greengrin

I’m not hugely fussed either way whether they go or not but it would be interesting to see how much it costs. I would suspect it will be heading towards 6 figures..

Eyrie
02-01-2019, 10:03 AM
I yearn for the days when Russell and Franck used to have their dodge the dog turds at Peffermill. You could hear their shouts floating downwind from the biscuit factory #wistfulsigh

You're right. Make the players collect the dog turds at Peffermill first, then carry them down to Gullane to dodge for a couple of hours before collecting the turds again. Got to keep the beaches clean.

Heckys Wheel
02-01-2019, 10:09 AM
Working in Dubai would be a better environment for me aswell but I don’t get to do it :greengrin

I’m not hugely fussed either way whether they go or not but it would be interesting to see how much it costs. I would suspect it will be heading towards 6 figures..

Seems like overkill to me. I know Rangers and Celtic go to Dubai and Aberdeen go, partly funded by their supporters group out here. But I’m sure La Cala provides the warmer climate and facilities they need at a fraction of the cost?

we are hibs
02-01-2019, 10:22 AM

Seen Dean Shiels in Greggs in Craigmillar once when hibs were training there. Was when Collins was the manager too so wouldn't imagine that would've went down well if he was caught :hilarious

SMAXXA
02-01-2019, 10:23 AM
Perfect yet another reason for some to moan about the team going to a winter training camp, some people need to get a grip. Should be at EM, going somewhere a player can’t go blah blah I will trust the club and management to do what they believe is right that’s enough for me.

BoomtownHibees
02-01-2019, 10:26 AM
Seems like overkill to me. I know Rangers and Celtic go to Dubai and Aberdeen go, partly funded by their supporters group out here. But I’m sure La Cala provides the warmer climate and facilities they need at a fraction of the cost?

How much do you think the difference in cost will be?

overdrive
02-01-2019, 10:27 AM
Given the speculation, I wonder if Ambrose will make the trip.

Depending what’s in his passport, he might not get in either as he played for an Israeli team. These countries can be funny if you have even been to Israel and have an Israeli stamp in your passport. The Israelis got wise to this and stopped actually stamping the passport and started putting a removable insert into people’s passports but it didn’t used to be the case.

we are hibs
02-01-2019, 10:27 AM
Perfect yet another reason for some to moan about the team going to a winter training camp, some people need to get a grip. Should be at EM, going somewhere a player can’t go blah blah I will trust the club and management to do what they believe is right that’s enough for me.

Tbf how many times have we went away and it's actually benefited us? Went away under Collins and won the cup when we came back but obviously you had the stories of falling out with certain players, then under fenlon they went to Gibraltar came back and got pumped 9-0 from malmo over 2 games, Stubbs first season they went away before the play offs and lost them to rangers, pre season 2015 went away under Stubbs again and came back and starred the season slowly losing to Dumbarton and 6-2 to the huns in the petrol tank cup, away again before the league cup final that season and lost that, away under Lennon in January and stokes was emptied after it.

The common denominator in all this is Lewis Stevenson. Clearly a massive troublemaker.. :cb

Billy Whizz
02-01-2019, 10:28 AM

Where is La Cala

calumhibee1
02-01-2019, 10:30 AM
Where is La Cala

Near Malaga. I’m not sure we’ve ever been there though, is it not La Manga we go to sometimes?

aljo7-0
02-01-2019, 10:31 AM
Where is La Cala

I wonder if he meant La Manga?

southsider
02-01-2019, 10:32 AM
How much do you think the difference in cost will be?

Temp in Granada this am is a very pleasant 17.

The 90+2
02-01-2019, 10:38 AM
Tbf how many times have we went away and it's actually benefited us? Went away under Collins and won the cup when we came back but obviously you had the stories of falling out with certain players, then under fenlon they went to Gibraltar came back and got pumped 9-0 from malmo over 2 games, Stubbs first season they went away before the play offs and lost them to rangers, pre season 2015 went away under Stubbs again and came back and starred the season slowly losing to Dumbarton and 6-2 to the huns in the petrol tank cup, away again before the league cup final that season and lost that, away under Lennon in January and stokes was emptied after it.

The common denominator in all this is Lewis Stevenson. Clearly a massive troublemaker.. :cb

Didn’t we go away under Collins before the Scottish Cup Semi and the players moaned they couldn’t go out?

BoomtownHibees
02-01-2019, 10:41 AM

Very good. What’s your point?

overdrive
02-01-2019, 10:55 AM
Didn’t we go away under Collins before the Scottish Cup Semi and the players moaned they couldn’t go out?

Yep and that they weren’t allowed to drink coffee.

tamig
02-01-2019, 11:28 AM
Depending what’s in his passport, he might not get in either as he played for an Israeli team. These countries can be funny if you have even been to Israel and have an Israeli stamp in your passport. The Israelis got wise to this and stopped actually stamping the passport and started putting a removable insert into people’s passports but it didn’t used to be the case.

Does Efe not have a shiny new passport now?

southsider
02-01-2019, 11:41 AM
Very good. What’s your point?

A lot cheaper to get to than Dubai

SirDavidsNapper
02-01-2019, 11:50 AM
You're easily annoyed, don't you have a life outside of Hibs? - also has it not occurred to you that "their pathetic form" can be addressed in warmer climes.

I must be. And yes i do. Im sure it would but to most people an all expenses paid trip to Dubai would be seen as an exciting adventure/reward. We've won 2 games in 13. Thats the point you're missing. We have a multi million pound training facility to work on tactics and fitness. Why go away for nice weather and a tan and get pumped by Elgin in sub zero temperatures? At least they'll look good i guess...

Allant1981
02-01-2019, 11:54 AM
I must be. And yes i do. Im sure it would but to most people an all expenses paid trip to Dubai would be seen as an exciting adventure/reward. We've won 2 games in 13. Thats the point you're missing. We have a multi million pound training facility to work on tactics and fitness. Why go away for nice weather and a tan and get pumped by Elgin in sub zero temperatures? At least they'll look good i guess...

Have you ever posted anything positive

JimBHibees
02-01-2019, 12:17 PM
Have you ever posted anything positive

Maybe only to positively agree with someone slating the club for something. :greengrin

green with envy
02-01-2019, 02:16 PM

Again, have you ever posted anything positive?

Hibrandenburg
02-01-2019, 02:28 PM
It's a disgrace that we are going to a country where one of our players can't go.

That was my first thought, if true then FIFA need to turf out the UAE.

Ronniekirk
02-01-2019, 02:31 PM

McGinn Transfer Money Probably booked ages ago on assumption we would have been in Top Six and didn't have so many injuries

chrisski33
02-01-2019, 03:12 PM

Tbhim with you on this plus use the money towards signing targets plus im sure theres cheaper destinations than Dubai

HUTCHYHIBBY
02-01-2019, 03:15 PM

Did you pick her up in a bar? 😏

GordonR
02-01-2019, 03:18 PM

Plus, Dubsi’s a horrible, autocratic slave-state...

Future17
02-01-2019, 03:31 PM
Where is La Cala

Spanish nickname for Tynecastle.

Famous Fiver
02-01-2019, 03:45 PM
Has Squirrel arrived with the budgie smugglers yet?

NORTHERNHIBBY
02-01-2019, 04:10 PM

If this is true then it is unacceptable and goes against what we are meant to stand for.

Smartie
02-01-2019, 04:26 PM
Has Squirrel arrived with the budgie smugglers yet?

He's arrived with a fake limp, a jester's hat, budgie smugglers, Stokesy and a fire extinguisher.

What could possibly go wrong?

Sir David Gray
02-01-2019, 04:35 PM
That was my first thought, if true then FIFA need to turf out the UAE.

If this is true then it is unacceptable and goes against what we are meant to stand for.

It will be true, Israeli passport holders cannot legally enter the UAE as they do not recognise Israel as a state.

The only uncertainty is whether it even got as far as him being refused entry as it's possible that Hibs didn't even ask for him to fly to the UAE due to him being injured.

Either way, I find it really disappointing that we have chosen to fly to the UAE. There's plenty of other countries we could have gone to that also have the sun.

We shouldn't be encouraging these countries and giving them our business.

Sammy7nil
02-01-2019, 04:42 PM
Where is La Cala

It is in between Malaga and Marbella I have been there several times. Gerrard took Rangers there pre-season all the locals spoke very well about Rangers PR. They loved Gerrard saying he took lots of time out for photos etc.

StevesFamau5
02-01-2019, 05:17 PM
It is in between Malaga and Marbella I have been there several times. Gerrard took Rangers there pre-season all the locals spoke very well about Rangers PR. They loved Gerrard saying he took lots of time out for photos etc.

It's a lovely area. I go to Fuengirola every year and the locals I met are dead into football. Also the manager of the Yorkshire Rose pub is a Hibby I'm told.

We were around the same time as der hun and the union flags were everywhere... Weirdly they were pretty well behaved. Even some light hearted banter about the Scottish cup etc.

Billy Whizz
02-01-2019, 05:21 PM

Had a look on the map, just south west of Fuengirola. Weather not always guaranteed at this time of year though. I’ve been to Malaga the last 7 Januarys, can be mixed and cold at night

macca70
02-01-2019, 06:38 PM
For a club that’s constantantly scrimping in cost and working on a ‘budget’, it does seem surprising that we take the full squad to a winter training camp in Dubai.

Nothing against the idea but can’t imagine it would be cheap. Certainly significantly more expensive than Spain unless the club have a contact out there and have sorted a good deal.

Maybe we are about to announce a takeover by a Billionaire Sheikh!!

BullsCloseHibs
02-01-2019, 07:01 PM

Trip is a waste of time and money imo.

Billy Whizz
02-01-2019, 07:03 PM

If we have a great January, will be worth every penny

One for Crops, will they need to play a game to satisfy HMRC😄

Borderhibbie76
02-01-2019, 07:07 PM
Out of interest anyone know how long Hibs are in Dubai for...is it a week??

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

allmodcons
02-01-2019, 07:30 PM
Out of interest anyone know how long Hibs are in Dubai for...is it a week??

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

However long is too long. They deserve nothing for the form shown in the 1st half of the season. We have so much to learn from our neighbours in Gorgie.

IMO our board should cancel the trip to Dubai and get our squad put in the pillory at Leith Links so we can all vent our frustration.

Viva_Palmeiras
02-01-2019, 07:33 PM
If we have a great January, will be worth every penny

One for Crops, will they need to play a game to satisfy HMRC😄

Hmmm Business trip offset against tax? So not costing us extra if so? That’ll disappoint a few arguments if the case...

Coco Bryce
02-01-2019, 07:34 PM
Backwards country with backward laws and disgraceful human rights.

500miles
02-01-2019, 07:50 PM
Yep and that they weren’t allowed to drink coffee.

After Collins involvement in Celtics shambolic fitness regimen under Deila, I think the players were probably right to question his sudden and rigid dietary requirements.

Kris Commons gave a great interview with Si Ferry talking about how Deila and JC had them all super lean at celtic, but slow and lethargic because they switched them from a carb based diet to fat. It's ideal if you've got months to get used to the change, but not when you're in the middle of the season. One of the complaints the Hibs players had was feeling slow and lethargic too. Yeah, there were no doubt guys that lacked professionalism, but there were definitely good players in there who were fed up of not having reasonable concerns addressed.

hibsbollah
02-01-2019, 07:51 PM

I agree. The Norwegian woman jailed for having an extramarital affair because she reported being raped was a low point I read about. I've had work offers there and there's no way I would do it.

But I think the thread is missing the point. The reason athletes do warm/hot weather training in the winter is it improves performance. The science in terms of blood plasma, increased sweating and resistance to injury is all well-known. Not things you can put a price on really.

BoomtownHibees
02-01-2019, 07:54 PM
I agree. The Norwegian woman jailed for having an extramarital affair because she reported being raped was a low point I read about. I've had work offers there and there's no way I would do it.

But I think the thread is missing the point. The reason athletes do warm/hot weather training in the winter is it improves performance. The science in terms of blood plasma, increased sweating and resistance to injury is all well-known. Not things you can put a price on really.

Aye but never mind all that beneficial stuff, Hearts cancelled their Xmas trip away after being pumped 5-0 from Livi so why didn’t we cancel this? 🙄

Sammy7nil
02-01-2019, 07:54 PM
Hmmm Business trip offset against tax? So not costing us extra if so? That’ll disappoint a few arguments if the case...

You still pay for the trip just means u get a discount by not paying tax on the cost.

CropleyWasGod
02-01-2019, 08:42 PM
You still pay for the trip just means u get a discount by not paying tax on the cost.

Only if we make a profit, which we try not to do.

Jim44
02-01-2019, 09:37 PM

....... but is repulsive Dubai the only place we could find warm/hot weather for a winter training camp? I don’t think ethics or moral values feature highly in the priorities of football clubs and players. Ignorance is bliss, eh?

heretoday
02-01-2019, 10:12 PM
However long is too long. They deserve nothing for the form shown in the 1st half of the season. We have so much to learn from our neighbours in Gorgie.

IMO our board should cancel the trip to Dubai and get our squad put in the pillory at Leith Links so we can all vent our frustration.
Lol! A bit extreme. I was thinking more of a few sessions on the Gullane sand dunes watched over by heartless PT instructors.

calumhibee1
03-01-2019, 07:08 AM
Only if we make a profit, which we try not to do.

So if we don’t make a profit we can offset the full trip against the tax we’re due.. so in theory it’s coming out of HMRCs pocket rather than Hibs?

flash
03-01-2019, 07:09 AM

Corporate money pays for these trips.

CropleyWasGod
03-01-2019, 08:24 AM
So if we don’t make a profit we can offset the full trip against the tax we’re due.. so in theory it’s coming out of HMRCs pocket rather than Hibs?

Not at all.

We're paying it. If we make a profit, we get tax relief of 19% on it. That means that the net cost to us is 81%. If we make a loss, or break even, there is no tax relief and the net cost is 100%.

calumhibee1
03-01-2019, 08:39 AM
Not at all.

We're paying it. If we make a profit, we get tax relief of 19% on it. That means that the net cost to us is 81%. If we make a loss, or break even, there is no tax relief and the net cost is 100%.

:aok:

I was about to go and set up a limited company :greengrin

CropleyWasGod
03-01-2019, 08:43 AM
Corporate money pays for these trips.

Do you mean that our corporate income is ring-fenced for these trips?

flash
03-01-2019, 08:45 AM
Do you mean that our corporate income is ring-fenced for these trips?

No I believe it's external money presumably the team fulfil obligations in return.

hibsbollah
03-01-2019, 09:37 AM
....... but is repulsive Dubai the only place we could find warm/hot weather for a winter training camp? I don’t think ethics or moral values feature highly in the priorities of football clubs and players. Ignorance is bliss, eh?

You're right, I'm sure there are less unpleasant regimes we could have sent the team. My gripe was with the posts that cropped up yesterday that seemed to be saying Hibs are off on an expensive works 'jolly'.

Swedish hibee
03-01-2019, 10:01 AM
Oh no not another training camp winter break..

Greenworld
03-01-2019, 10:15 AM
Near Malaga. I’m not sure we’ve ever been there though, is it not La Manga we go to sometimes?La cala is a golf resort up in the hills near benalmadina...it does have other sports training facilities .
Think it might be la manga

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Greenworld
03-01-2019, 10:18 AM
Maybe this trip is funded by Prince dubai Head ruler of dubai who loves hibs and wants to buy them

Barney McGrew
03-01-2019, 10:21 AM
Anyone who thinks that the players will be away for a jolly clearly hasn’t been paying attention to the character of our manager and the comments he’s made about them improving their fitness :cb

bingo70
03-01-2019, 10:26 AM
Anyone who thinks that the players will be away for a jolly clearly hasn’t been paying attention to the character of our manager and the comments he’s made about them improving their fitness :cb

On that note I thought it was a wee bit naive of Stevie Mallan to be sharing on Instagram he was out on a bevy last night, drinking shots etc.

I know he’s a young guy and with no training for a few days it won’t do him any harm however with the noises Lennon has been making about being more professional in their own time it may have been a better idea for him not to share that kind of thing on Instagram.

pollution
03-01-2019, 11:27 AM
La cala is a golf resort up in the hills near benalmadina...it does have other sports training facilities .
Think it might be la manga

Not this time. La Manga is further east in the Murcia province.

Very conducive to training etc 17 degrees today, only three hours from Gullane.

Radium
03-01-2019, 11:38 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190103/c7d4740990ef9d8a74ea15e836793b1a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

calumhibee1
03-01-2019, 11:40 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190103/c7d4740990ef9d8a74ea15e836793b1a.jpg

Will Hibs TV be covering it? 👀

cabbageandribs1875
03-01-2019, 11:42 AM
looking forward to seeing how our influx of new players perform in this :)

mcfly
03-01-2019, 12:19 PM

Have you ever visited Dubai?

It’s certainly not a backward country

blaikie
03-01-2019, 12:25 PM
Perfect weather for it right now!

Al Wasl are a half decent outfit as well, will be a good game.

chrisski33
03-01-2019, 01:38 PM

in terms of its laws and way women are treated yes it is backwards

Hermit Crab
03-01-2019, 02:24 PM
Hope fans going know that being bevvied in the streets is a massive no no.

Coco Bryce
03-01-2019, 02:27 PM

My friend lives there but I would still never go. The things he tells me is enough for me not to go. He works in recruitment. They advertise jobs and state what race religion need/need not apply. Backwards no?

Problem is, they advertise it as a mega playground for tourists but in reality it's a deeply conservative Islamic state that treat women like ****.

No thanks

Sir David Gray
03-01-2019, 04:23 PM

In terms of the lifestyle and infrastructure it likes to portray, of course it's not backward. When you have the money that their rulers have then it's easy to build lavish hotels and housing and make it appear like an ideal holiday spot.

In terms of how they treat people and their legal system and employment law etc, it's one of the most backward countries on the planet.

Full of absolute hypocrites, they're quite happy to invite rich Westerners to their country to spend their money but they hate the Western way of life and will lock you up for so much as looking at someone the wrong way.

I wouldn't go to the UAE if you paid me.

Barney McGrew
03-01-2019, 04:36 PM
they're quite happy to invite rich Westerners to their country to spend their money but they hate the Western way of life and will lock you up for so much as looking at someone the wrong way

As someone who has ​been there quite a few times, I can sure you that you’re a million miles away from the truth.

Sir David Gray
03-01-2019, 04:53 PM
As someone who has ​been there quite a few times, I can sure you that you’re a million miles away from the truth.

Fair enough you're entitled to your opinion.

I still wouldn't go if you paid me.

Which part am I wrong about by the way?

The horrendous human rights record?

The dubious legal system?

The terrible treatment of migrant workers, mainly from the Indian subcontinent?

The fact that flogging is a punishment for illegal consumption of alcohol, however it is somehow tolerated (even encouraged) in the tourist areas?

The fact that 100 lashes are given to anyone found to have had premarital sex but they are actively encouraging young European couples to go there on holiday, a lot of whom won't be married but will likely have had sex during the course of their relationship.

I could go on but I'm sure you get my point.

It's a disgusting, intolerant regime with horrible, medieval laws thrust upon their own people but totally hypocritical when it comes to those who are willing to spend big money on holiday.

Barney McGrew
03-01-2019, 05:04 PM
Which part am I wrong about by the way?.

The bits I quoted.

Baldy Foghorn
03-01-2019, 05:24 PM
The bits I quoted.

What can we expect BM?

Billy Whizz
03-01-2019, 05:27 PM
What can we expect BM?

Minimum Factor 50 for you

Baldy Foghorn
03-01-2019, 05:29 PM
Minimum Factor 50 for you

27 degrees at moment Billy, ya beauty:aok:

bigwheel
03-01-2019, 05:30 PM
What can we expect BM?

Are you heading there B? Nice one [emoji106]. Have a ball.

LustForLeith
03-01-2019, 05:32 PM
Is there any Irish pubs In Dubai?

LustForLeith
03-01-2019, 05:35 PM
On that note I thought it was a wee bit naive of Stevie Mallan to be sharing on Instagram he was out on a bevy last night, drinking shots etc.

I know he’s a young guy and with no training for a few days it won’t do him any harm however with the noises Lennon has been making about being more professional in their own time it may have been a better idea for him not to share that kind of thing on Instagram.

If I was Lennon I’d be delighted as that’s the first shot he’s had in ages

Billy Whizz
03-01-2019, 05:37 PM

Nice temperature

Baldy Foghorn
03-01-2019, 05:37 PM
Are you heading there B? Nice one [emoji106]. Have a ball.

Yes, going for 5 nights, can't wait:flag:

Billy Whizz
03-01-2019, 05:48 PM
[QUOTE=LustForLeith;5652035]

Is there any Irish pubs In Dubai

Had this texted to me from a Hibs fan, going to Dubai, who doesn’t post on here

“We’re meeting up with guys from Dubai Hibs in a bar called Fibber Magees it’s attached to the World Trade Centre ( no bars / pubs in Dubai as such unless they are within hotels Fibber Magees got around it by attaching themselves to the WTC)”

Hope this helps

The 90+2
03-01-2019, 05:53 PM

“We’re meeting up with guys from Dubai Hibs in a bar called Fibber Magees it’s attached to the World Trade Centre ( no bars / pubs in Dubai as such unless they are within hotels Fibber Magees got around it by attaching themselves to the WTC)”

Hope this helps
Fibber Magees next to the WTC in Dubai has to sound like the most made up name in history? 😂😂😂

Sammy7nil
03-01-2019, 05:53 PM
Fair enough you're entitled to your opinion.

I still wouldn't go if you paid me.

Which part am I wrong about by the way?

The horrendous human rights record?

The dubious legal system?

The terrible treatment of migrant workers, mainly from the Indian subcontinent?

The fact that flogging is a punishment for illegal consumption of alcohol, however it is somehow tolerated (even encouraged) in the tourist areas?

The fact that 100 lashes are given to anyone found to have had premarital sex but they are actively encouraging young European couples to go there on holiday, a lot of whom won't be married but will likely have had sex during the course of their relationship.

I could go on but I'm sure you get my point.

It's a disgusting, intolerant regime with horrible, medieval laws thrust upon their own people but totally hypocritical when it comes to those who are willing to spend big money on holiday.

Seems like a fair reflection. However there are number of countries with similar records.

Billy Whizz
03-01-2019, 05:55 PM
[QUOTE=Billy Whizz;5652073]
Fibber Magees next to the WTC in Dubai has to sound like the most made up name in history? 😂😂😂

https://www.fibbersdubai.com

WoreTheGreen
03-01-2019, 05:56 PM
Heard shiek Kano has a bar over there called the One less hand

bigwheel
03-01-2019, 05:56 PM
Yes, going for 5 nights, can't wait:flag:

Magic. Got a good Hibee contact living out there (will be at the game) let me know if you want his contact for any local advice !

Envious [emoji106][emoji122]

The 90+2
03-01-2019, 05:57 PM
[QUOTE=90+2;5652078]

https://www.fibbersdubai.com

That’s class 😂. If someone told me we are meeting there I would definitely have to double check.

The 90+2
03-01-2019, 05:58 PM

👍😂😂😂😂

bigwheel
03-01-2019, 05:58 PM

[emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]

StirlingHibee
03-01-2019, 06:11 PM
I understand Dubai won't be everyone's cup of tea but I find it a fantastic (and fascinating) place to holiday (I've also worked out there). It's not cheap (around £10 a pint) but great nightlife if you know where to go. Almost 80% of the population are non-emiratis and to a certain extent some of the previous posts are true in that the migrant workers are poorly treated. The taxi drivers tend to be largely Pakistani and Bangladeshan who often work 12 hour shifts 7 days a week. The construction workers tend to be from India and work in extremely uncomfortable conditions. Filipinos and Nepalese work in the hospitality sector. Average wage for migrants is around £250-300 a month. I'll be honest it does play with my conscious sometimes, however, it's important to remember that the migrant workers send the vast majority of their wages back to their families to support them. Bottom line is, like it or not, the migrant workers are better off in Dubai as the opportunities are simply not there at home. I also tip well at every opportunity (particularly taxi drivers). Last bit of info if i may - have a few beers, even a dance, but normal rules don't necessarily apply here. I think the best approach is don't do anything that brings attention on yourself!! All said and done - a great place to go.

flash
03-01-2019, 06:32 PM
Aye sounds terrific.......

bigwheel
03-01-2019, 06:48 PM
I can understand and respect the resistance to the UAE and Dubai..there are definitely some factors which are troubling..and as some have said the “haves and have nots” environment is extreme...

Although that can be said for India , almost all of Asia, and frankly big swathes of North and South America ...

The history of the British empire in Africa doesn’t read well either ... each to their own - but it would be hard to n ow where to stop if politics and culture will restrict your travel choices ....

Dubai is a weird place , no doubt ..a Vegas without casinos built in the desert ..it does have though some of the finest hotels and modern infrastructure anywhere on the planet ..old Dubai is very interesting..and Oman next door is beautiful. By and large the local people are incredibly warm and welcoming...

The marina area is fab for drinks and dinner ..and a Friday Brunch there is something to behold ...

Hope everyone who goes has a great trip [emoji106][emoji106]

LustForLeith
03-01-2019, 07:01 PM

Hope this helps

I was only joking as well! Wish I had been at work for two days already this year and instead gone to Dubai. With my bank balance just now I couldn’t afford a pint in Fimnigans Wake!

Barney McGrew
03-01-2019, 08:31 PM
What can we expect BM?

A very expensive pint :greengrin

It’s a massive city, very long and thin and stretched out along the waterfront. Where are you staying about?

Pubs are all pretty much in hotels, as others have said the Dubai Hibs boys seem to meet in Fibbers which is pretty much in the middle. Restaurants of every variety, hotel ones tend to be pricey, get yourself out and about (taxis are dirt cheap and there’s loads). Temperature just now will probably be spot on, nowhere near the 45-50 degrees it sometimes gets to in the height of summer.

Barney McGrew
03-01-2019, 08:37 PM
I understand Dubai won't be everyone's cup of tea but I find it a fantastic (and fascinating) place to holiday (I've also worked out there). It's not cheap (around £10 a pint) but great nightlife if you know where to go. Almost 80% of the population are non-emiratis and to a certain extent some of the previous posts are true in that the migrant workers are poorly treated. The taxi drivers tend to be largely Pakistani and Bangladeshan who often work 12 hour shifts 7 days a week. The construction workers tend to be from India and work in extremely uncomfortable conditions. Filipinos and Nepalese work in the hospitality sector. Average wage for migrants is around £250-300 a month. I'll be honest it does play with my conscious sometimes, however, it's important to remember that the migrant workers send the vast majority of their wages back to their families to support them. Bottom line is, like it or not, the migrant workers are better off in Dubai as the opportunities are simply not there at home. I also tip well at every opportunity (particularly taxi drivers). Last bit of info if i may - have a few beers, even a dance, but normal rules don't necessarily apply here. I think the best approach is don't do anything that brings attention on yourself!! All said and done - a great place to go.

Summed up my thoughts perfectly and better than I have :greengrin

silverhibee
03-01-2019, 09:19 PM

Take the hat off.

Itsnoteasy
03-01-2019, 09:42 PM
Seems like a fair reflection. However there are number of countries with similar records.

But Hibs aren't playing in those other countries.

Itsnoteasy
03-01-2019, 09:44 PM

Removing their passports so they can't go home is a tad more than being poorly treated.

Forza Fred
03-01-2019, 10:02 PM
They should have come to sunny Sydney......

Baldy Foghorn
04-01-2019, 10:41 AM
A very expensive pint :greengrin

It’s a massive city, very long and thin and stretched out along the waterfront. Where are you staying about?

Pubs are all pretty much in hotels, as others have said the Dubai Hibs boys seem to meet in Fibbers which is pretty much in the middle. Restaurants of every variety, hotel ones tend to be pricey, get yourself out and about (taxis are dirt cheap and there’s loads). Temperature just now will probably be spot on, nowhere near the 45-50 degrees it sometimes gets to in the height of summer.

I'm teetotal so all good.

Staying at Recency think it's central. Can't wait to see this mall for clothes I keep hearing about

southsider
04-01-2019, 11:12 AM

Staying at Recency think it's central. Can't wait to see this mall for clothes I keep hearing about

Keep an eye out for the Mall with the indoor ski-slope. Unreal,

NORTHERNHIBBY
04-01-2019, 12:45 PM

Not if you are one of the type of people who they "approve " of.

Coco Bryce
04-01-2019, 07:20 PM

Sounds fantastic right enough. Was that the good points?

'Don't do anything that brings attention to yourselves...' What like have fun :greengrin

Coco Bryce
04-01-2019, 07:21 PM

Are Hibs visiting these countries?

hibsbollah
04-01-2019, 07:34 PM
Are Hibs visiting these countries?

LeeAnn has negotiated a summer friendly season, Including a three night stay in Pyongyang, a trip to Brazil to watch the new fascist regime hack down the rainforest and an intercontinental bawbag trophy in Saudi where there will be a ceremonial limb removal of shoplifters at the centre circle at halftime.

Love it or leave it, liberal justice warrior snowflakes:flag:

Luna5
04-01-2019, 07:42 PM
Who is not going?

BoomtownHibees
04-01-2019, 07:44 PM
Who is not going?

Me

HibbyAndy
04-01-2019, 07:45 PM
Who is not going?

Me

You couldn't pay me to go there

Connollys11
Do they no behead folk in Dubai for drinking in the streets or is that Saudi Arabia?

Luna5
Meant players!!!
Heard Lewis Martin Ross all not - any more?

hibsbollah
04-01-2019, 07:48 PM
Do they no behead folk in Dubai for drinking in the streets or is that Saudi Arabia?

Greenock

Connollys11
04-01-2019, 07:49 PM
Greenock

Hahaha they behead folk for less than that in greenock bollah

Mick O'Rourke
04-01-2019, 07:59 PM
Be interested in older fans recalling places Hibernian have visited that may/would have been on Human Rights Watch/Amnesty Intl. at the time.

I recall us touring Nigeria pre season, late 60s, at a time of civil war (Biafra) in that
Country.

The Tornadoes played FC Besa in Albania at a time when that Country was possibly the most secretive/closed Country in Europe.

Players could not go for a p without being watched by the "official guide" (cop) or "tour rep." (another cop)

On Dubai....

Peter Cook and Dudley Moore toured there.
They were so unimpressed,they wrote a song about the place.http://www.hibs.net/images/icons/icon12.png

Dubai ,Dubai
we're leaving now, Dubai :na na:

oconnors_strip
04-01-2019, 08:52 PM
Meant players!!!
Heard Lewis Martin Ross all not - any more?

Ofir is in the dominican republic just now so presume he isn’t going or joining the team later in the week

SiinDubai
04-01-2019, 10:47 PM
LeeAnn has negotiated a summer friendly season, Including a three night stay in Pyongyang, a trip to Brazil to watch the new fascist regime hack down the rainforest and an intercontinental bawbag trophy in Saudi where there will be a ceremonial limb removal of shoplifters at the centre circle at halftime.

Love it or leave it, liberal justice warrior snowflakes:flag:

Limb removal for shoplifting, just aswell we never re signed sparky 😀

Viva_Palmeiras
05-01-2019, 12:48 AM
Who is not going?

Wimbledon fans.

macca70
05-01-2019, 10:01 AM
Is it true that the folk from Dubai don’t like the Flintstones?..........

....But the folk from Abu Dhabi do?!! 😂

Billy Whizz
05-01-2019, 01:24 PM
Be interesting to see if Agyepong goes to Dubai. Give us an indication if he’s staying or not

truehibernian
05-01-2019, 01:35 PM
Be interesting to see if Agyepong goes to Dubai. Give us an indication if he’s staying or not

Hope not Billy, looks to be made of paper and we need players who are prepared to really bust a gut to get into the side and play football. Good player he may be, he's offering us zero.

I'm not entirely convinced of his injury to be even more brutally honest.

Newhaven
05-01-2019, 03:33 PM
Any estimates of how many are going? Good effort by all concerned

SlickShoes
05-01-2019, 03:37 PM
Hope not Billy, looks to be made of paper and we need players who are prepared to really bust a gut to get into the side and play football. Good player he may be, he's offering us zero.

Why?

Lago
05-01-2019, 04:52 PM
When will we know who is in the squad to travel ?

tamig
05-01-2019, 05:29 PM
Limb removal for shoplifting, just aswell we never re signed sparky 😀

As long as it wasn’t his left peg.

tamig
05-01-2019, 05:35 PM

Strange comments. Every time I’ve seen the wee man I’ve always been impressed at his willingness to get stuck in.

Albanian Hibs
05-01-2019, 06:21 PM
Flight ready to depart

SMAXXA
05-01-2019, 06:47 PM
Paul Hanlon

Payls away with the squad so not sure where your hearing that pish. They are away tonight for a week decent trip that.

Carheenlea
05-01-2019, 06:55 PM

The look in his face when he came off against Dundee suggests otherwise - looked distraught and obviously knew he was in trouble.

Iggy Pope
05-01-2019, 07:57 PM

If you’re reading this S, get me a team sheet if you can.
Stay out of trouble now and keep out the papers! Takes a long time to get folks back from there.
S.

eastterrace
05-01-2019, 08:01 PM

Eh , the guys quality and looked really sick when he had to come of against Dundee.

ardecos
05-01-2019, 08:02 PM
They should have come to sunny Sydney......

41 degrees? Thanks, but no thanks. I was in Sydney in early November and it was great. Watched the Melbourne Cup from a pub in The Rocks, but I wouldn't want to be there now in the current heat.

Forza Fred
05-01-2019, 08:06 PM
41 degrees? Thanks, but no thanks. I was in Sydney in early November and it was great. Watched the Melbourne Cup from a pub in The Rocks, but I wouldn't want to be there now in the current heat.

Pleasant 21 today, and similar for rest of the week...but certainly can spike at times.

ardecos
05-01-2019, 08:19 PM
Pleasant 21 today, and similar for rest of the week...but certainly can spike at times.
Yes, seems to have cooled down a lot. Still glad to have visited when the weather was pleasant, probably good luck on my part😊

MWHIBBIES
06-01-2019, 10:14 AM
Malmö, Rosenberg and Copenhagen have all cancelled their training camps in Dubai after fan backlash over human rights violations.

jdships
06-01-2019, 10:53 AM

thats my info from E Mains:thumbsup:

cabbageandribs1875
06-01-2019, 12:44 PM
so, have our players/staff etc etc arrived at their nice warm holiday destination yet :cb

:)

Radium
06-01-2019, 01:41 PM
so, have our players/staff etc etc arrived at their nice warm holiday destination yet :cb

:)

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190106/a27825b4262c78d8e6bc6c5d6300c3a8.jpg

Not who’s picking their nose on Mallan’s Instagram

cabbageandribs1875
06-01-2019, 01:49 PM

i've tried zooming in but still can't 'pick' out who that is, darren/lewis ?

SChibs
06-01-2019, 02:01 PM

It obviously isn't but it actually looks like Ryan Christie.

Radium
06-01-2019, 02:03 PM

Not sure either, also had this up. Presumably a view from the hotel

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190106/48f4886e4f3ceaba0224c9b42124349e.jpg

silverhibee
06-01-2019, 02:12 PM

Whoever it is needs to lose a few tyres :greengrin

BoomtownHibees
06-01-2019, 05:55 PM
Whoever it is needs to lose a few tyres :greengrin

Surely no a player wi moobs like that

Lago
06-01-2019, 06:08 PM
Malmö, Rosenberg and Copenhagen have all cancelled their training camps in Dubai after fan backlash over human rights violations.
Pat on the back for them from my point of view.

EH54
06-01-2019, 10:00 PM

Looks like Stevie Mallan himself tbh!

Nicho87
06-01-2019, 10:04 PM
That’s mcgregor

Stokesy's on fire
08-01-2019, 08:15 PM
Why is Marciano not with the team?

bingo70
08-01-2019, 08:16 PM

He’s injured.

calumhibee1
08-01-2019, 08:28 PM

Injured and also can’t gain entry to Dubai as he is an Israeli.

Stokesy's on fire
08-01-2019, 09:07 PM
Injured and also can’t gain entry to Dubai as he is an Israeli.

Never knew that cheers! I knew he was injured but i thought it would be beneficial for him to spend some time with his team mates but he is onto a winner in the Domican with his young child.

southern hibby
09-01-2019, 12:03 AM
How gutted am I..... tried booking the flight to Dubai and for some reason my money was taken from my account but according to the flight company it wasn’t. I’ve received e mails from company to myself and bank stating they won’t try and take the payment. However the bank promised me it would be back into my account by tonight so I can book flight again.

Long story short. Not received funds back into my account so not sure if I will get my money or not before dinner time tomorrow as I need it to book new flights for tomorrow evening.

Come on Nationwide do us proud and let me get to Dubai.

GGTTH

KeithTheHibby
09-01-2019, 06:48 AM
Can’t be assed scrolling through loads of pages. Is the friendly likely to be shown on Hibs Tv? Ta muchly.

calumhibee1
09-01-2019, 07:13 AM
Can’t be assed scrolling through loads of pages. Is the friendly likely to be shown on Hibs Tv? Ta muchly.

Nothing been announced afaik.

Edit: Hibs TV will be shown highlights and reaction so presumably nothing live.

bingo70
09-01-2019, 08:40 AM
Lots of people saying Marciano couldn’t have travelled to Dubai as he’s from Israel however I see Nir Bitton is in Dubai with celtic so there must be exceptions given in certain circumstances.

Pleased about that, I wouldn’t have liked the thought of one of our players being excluded because of his nationality.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/return-nir-bitton-forgotten-celtic-13832113

oneone73
09-01-2019, 08:46 AM
Lots of people saying Marciano couldn’t have travelled to Dubai as he’s from Israel however I see Nir Bitton is in Dubai with celtic so there must be exceptions given in certain circumstances.

Pleased about that, I wouldn’t have liked the thought of one of our players being excluded because of his nationality.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/return-nir-bitton-forgotten-celtic-13832113
Bitton's an Arab Israeli. Think he has different travel documents?

bingo70
09-01-2019, 08:51 AM
Bitton's an Arab Israeli. Think he has different travel documents?

Showing my ignorance here.

I wasn’t aware there was a difference. I assumed all Israelis would have the same travel restrictions.

oneone73
09-01-2019, 09:00 AM
Showing my ignorance here.

I wasn’t aware there was a difference. I assumed all Israelis would have the same travel restrictions.

There's a Palestinian National ID. Tbf, I don't know whether Bitton has that, or whether it makes a difference to the UAE.
Either way, I don't think we should be in Dubai.