PDA

View Full Version : Stubbs v Lennon signings

thebausburst
01-01-2019, 08:47 PM
If it’s essentially the same team of staff identifying signings why is Stubbs signing record so much better than Lennon’s?

CallumLaidlaw
01-01-2019, 08:49 PM
Stubbs - 30 signings

Tomas Cerny
David Gray
Marty Kennedy
Franck Dja Djedje
Fraser Fyvie
Scott Allan
Liam Fontaine
Mark Oxley
Farid El Alagui
Jake Sinclair
Martin Boyle
Dylan Mcgeouch
Keith Watson
Dom Malonga
John Mcginn
Darren Mcgregor
Antonio Requero
Chris Dagnall
Dan Carmichael
Marvin Bartley
Kevin Thomson
James Keatings
Jamie Insall
Anthony Stokes
Henri Anier
Liam Henderson
Islam Feruz
Niklas Gunnarsson
Conrad Logan
Adam Eckersley

Lennon - 31 signings

Grant Holt
Brian Graham
Scott Gallagher
Chris Humphrey
Ross Laidlaw
Ofir Marciano
Andrew Shinnie
Kris Commons
Efe Ambrose
Neal Eardley
Brian McLean
Vykintas Slivka
Anthony Stokes
Davydas Matulevicious
Cammy Bell
Steven Whittaker
Danny Swanson
Simon Murray
Faycal Rherras
Scott Allan
Jamie McLaren
Brandon Barker
Flo Kamberi
Stevie Mallan
Mark Milligan
Emerson Hyndman
Adam Bogdan
Thomas Agyepong
Daryl Horgan
Harry Mavrias
Miquel Nelom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

H18 SFR
01-01-2019, 08:50 PM
You'd get a better XI out of Lenny's.

01-01-2019, 08:53 PM

Wrong

thebausburst
01-01-2019, 08:54 PM

Are you serious?

GreenArmyyy!
01-01-2019, 08:59 PM
The difference in quality is quite frightening considering Lennon has had a bigger budget.

thebausburst
01-01-2019, 09:01 PM
Are you serious?

Just using Stubbs signings, not guys already at club like Stevenson and Hanlon, you could have this 11

Logan

Gray McGregor Fontaine Gunnarsson

Allan McGinn McGeough Henderson

Stokes Malonga

JimmyL
01-01-2019, 09:04 PM
Better Manager?

thebausburst
01-01-2019, 09:12 PM
Better Manager?

What than the guy that won the SC and took us to 2 major finals in same year, should have won a double

The 90+2
01-01-2019, 09:12 PM
Better Manager?

Managing players? Stubbs all day long.

Centre Hawf
01-01-2019, 09:19 PM
All IMO.

Stubbs XI -

Conrad Logan

David Gray
Darren McGregor
Liam Fontaine
Nicklas Gunnarsson

John McGinn
Dylan McGeouch
Fraser Fyvie
Scott Allan

Stokes
Martin Boyle

And that's leaving out lads like Malonga, Keatings, and Henderson.

Lennon XI

Adam Bogdan

Whittaker
Efe
Brian McClean
Nelom

Slivka
Allan
Milligan
Barker

Flo
Maclaren

You could have Stokes in but I felt his spell under Lennon wasn't up to scratch compared to the form Flo and Jamie hit when they were first initially signed, the midfield is a bit of a lottery because I don't think theres enough function in the combination of players like there is under Stubbs.

Overall I think Stubbs' team wins it for me, the defence looks better despite the ropier choice of goalkeepers compared to Lennons. I think the Stubbs' midfield is obviously it's strong point. Up front if you had the Flo and Jamie from January to May it wins hands down, but since then I don't think they've shown consistency. Stubbs relied quite heavily on Cummings, much like Neil did in his first season.

The Modfather
01-01-2019, 09:19 PM
Better Manager?

In my opinion Stubbs has the better eye for a player and putting a team together. I’ve got question marks over Lennons recruitment and what he is trying to do, however Lennon got more out of the team Stubbs put together.

Let’s get Stubbs to sign the players in January and Lennon to manage them 😀

calumhibee1
01-01-2019, 09:27 PM
Stubbs - 30 signings

Tomas Cerny
David Gray
Marty Kennedy
Franck Dja Djedje
Fraser Fyvie
Scott Allan
Liam Fontaine
Mark Oxley
Farid El Alagui
Jake Sinclair
Martin Boyle
Dylan Mcgeouch
Keith Watson
Dom Malonga
John Mcginn
Darren Mcgregor
Antonio Requero
Chris Dagnall
Dan Carmichael
Marvin Bartley
Kevin Thomson
James Keatings
Jamie Insall
Anthony Stokes
Henri Anier
Liam Henderson
Islam Feruz
Niklas Gunnarsson
Conrad Logan
Adam Eckersley

Lennon - 31 signings

Grant Holt
Brian Graham
Scott Gallagher
Chris Humphrey
Ross Laidlaw
Ofir Marciano
Andrew Shinnie
Kris Commons
Efe Ambrose
Neal Eardley
Brian McLean
Vykintas Slivka
Anthony Stokes
Davydas Matulevicious
Cammy Bell
Steven Whittaker
Danny Swanson
Simon Murray
Faycal Rherras
Scott Allan
Jamie McLaren
Brandon Barker
Flo Kamberi
Stevie Mallan
Mark Milligan
Emerson Hyndman
Adam Bogdan
Thomas Agyepong
Daryl Horgan
Harry Mavrias
Miquel Nelom

Logan

Gray
Daz
Fonts
Gunnarsson

Boyle
Allan
McGinn
McGeough
Hendo

Stokes

V

Rocky

Whittaker
Ambrose
Milligan
Nelom

Barker
Slivka
Allan
Horgan

Flo
Maclaren

The two best teams from each IMO. Team 1 is considerably better.

Ryan69
01-01-2019, 09:29 PM
Just using Stubbs signings, not guys already at club like Stevenson and Hanlon, you could have this 11

Logan

Gray McGregor Fontaine Gunnarsson

Allan McGinn McGeough Henderson

Stokes Malonga

As much as Logan had an outstanding 1 game....He was far from great.
If he had not been so fat....It would probably of been 3-0 that day.

He was so unprofessional,the job he was paid handsomely for....He couldnt even be in shape for!

Diclonius
01-01-2019, 09:30 PM
Stubbs:
Tomas Cerny 5
David Gray 9
Marty Kennedy 6
Franck Dja Djedje 6
Fraser Fyvie 9
Scott Allan 10
Liam Fontaine 9
Mark Oxley 7
Farid El Alagui 6
Jake Sinclair 4
Martin Boyle 9
Dylan Mcgeouch 10
Keith Watson 5
Dom Malonga 8
John Mcginn 10
Darren Mcgregor 10
Antonio Requero 4
Chris Dagnall 5
Dan Carmichael 5
Marvin Bartley 9
Kevin Thomson 7
James Keatings 9
Jamie Insall 5
Anthony Stokes 9
Henri Anier 6
Liam Henderson 9
Islam Feruz 4
Niklas Gunnarsson 7
Conrad Logan 9
Adam Eckersley 5

Lennon:
Grant Holt 8
Brian Graham 6
Scott Gallagher 5
Chris Humphrey 5
Ross Laidlaw 7
Ofir Marciano 9
Andrew Shinnie 7
Kris Commons 8
Efe Ambrose 10
Neal Eardley 4
Brian McLean 6
Vykintas Slivka 7
Anthony Stokes 7
Davydas Matulevicious 5
Cammy Bell 5
Steven Whittaker 7
Danny Swanson 6
Simon Murray 7
Faycal Rherras 5
Scott Allan 10
Jamie McLaren 8
Brandon Barker 8
Flo Kamberi 9
Stevie Mallan 7
Mark Milligan 7
Emerson Hyndman 6
Adam Bogdan 8
Thomas Agyepong 6
Daryl Horgan 7
Harry Mavrias 5
Miquel Nelom 5

Stubbs average: 7.17
Lennon average: 6.74

JimmyL
01-01-2019, 09:34 PM
Based on the OP question my opinion is Stubbs all the way and unfortunately most of these guys have moved on.

Connollys11
01-01-2019, 09:37 PM
If we hadn't won the Scottish cup Stubbs would be another fenlon who never even got us out the championship.

CallumLaidlaw
01-01-2019, 09:38 PM

He was so unprofessional,the job he was paid handsomely for....He couldnt even be in shape for!

That’s ridiculously unfair. He’d been out injured for over a year and hadn’t planned to return as early as he did with Hibs. Was planning on getting ready for the following season.

Elephant Stone
01-01-2019, 09:40 PM

:confused:

bigwheel
01-01-2019, 09:45 PM

it’s good to know we have a future great Hibee Historian just waiting in the wings.....

SideBurns
01-01-2019, 09:45 PM

Correct, Conrad was a disgrace - big fatty, who only saved penalties in the shoot-out because he was too tired and full of half-time pies to stand up. His teammates bailed him out in the final by scoring one more goal than the Huns. Medal thief!

Hi Heid Yin
01-01-2019, 09:49 PM
What than the guy that won the SC and took us to 2 major finals in same year, should have won a double

Loved Stubbsy, and that day in May will never be forgotten, but the league cup final capitulation to Ross County was an embarrassment,

as was finishing 3rd in the league behind Falkirk. To then fail again in the play offs was unacceptable. The Scottish Cup win saved our season from being an absolute disaster.

Billy Whizz
01-01-2019, 09:51 PM
Loved Stubbsy, and that day in May will never be forgotten, but the league cup final capitulation to Ross County was an embarrassment,

as was finishing 3rd in the league behind Falkirk. To then fail again in the play offs was unacceptable. The Scottish Cup win saved our season from being an absolute disaster.

Sorry saved our club at the time

CallumLaidlaw
01-01-2019, 09:51 PM

The Ross county bit is very harsh. They were a league above us. We played well in the final too.

The_Horde
01-01-2019, 09:56 PM
A bit of a hard one to judge.

Stubbs had to build a good side almost from scratch. So a higher number of first team regulars required from the off.

Lennon, up until the last window, mostly had to add bits and bobs of quality in specific areas and backup/stopgap players to the squad (like Mavrias, Commons, Humphrey and Nelom)

Not sure if Lennon would've built the same quality of squad from scratch as Stubbs did but you can't, IMO, compare the 30/31 like for like.

SideBurns
01-01-2019, 09:58 PM

The cup final defeat was neither a capitulation nor embarrassing; Hibs played very well against a team in the league above us, and one defensive mistake cost us the game. Our league form is a different argument, and we had a shocking run in early 2016 with some genuinely terrible defeats, but even then we would've been in the play off final were it not for disgraceful refereeing against Falkirk.

Northernhibee
01-01-2019, 10:03 PM

The schedule for the second half of his season was a total joke. No McGinn or McGeouch hurt us against Ross County as had the constant midweek fixtures. Despite all this he only got 1pt less than our championship winning season in a much harder league.

For the comment without the SC he’d be another Fenlon that’s ludicrous. He didn’t have a full first team squad when he took over, signed good young players with potential, got us playing good football and gave us some great results. 2-0 against Aberdeen and Hearts at ER, 4-0 against Rangers at ER, 3-1 against Rangers at Ibrox.

Attacking Stubbs seems to be the weirdest thing as he gave us our pride back.

The 90+2
01-01-2019, 10:04 PM
If we hadn't won the Scottish cup Stubbs would be another fenlon who never even got us out the championship.

But he did.

Fenlon had a squad full of loan signings and one year contracts.

If we had lost in the final check the nick of the squad Stubbs left Lennon with.

Hi Heid Yin
01-01-2019, 10:08 PM
The Ross county bit is very harsh. They were a league above us. We played well in the final too.

Sorry, but Ross County will never be a team that I will ever consider Hibs being 2nd best to, irrespective of the division we might play in.

Player for player we had a far superior team to them in that League Cup final and we blew it!

The 90+2
01-01-2019, 10:08 PM

You clearly didn’t love Stubbsy and love Neil Lennon.

Losing to hearts in the Scottish was a much worse embarrassment than losing a cup final. Hearts where utter pap last season and somehow won twice against us and our shambolic set up. Losing Ross County having been the better side wasn’t an embarrassment. Lennon losing to Ross County in the Scottish Cup Semi final is as embarrassing as anything though and Morton in the league cup?

The 90+2
01-01-2019, 10:10 PM
Sorry, but Ross County will never be a team that I will ever consider Hibs being 2nd best to, irrespective of the division we might play in.

Player for player we had a far superior team to them in that League Cup final and we blew it!

Player for player who built the squad when it was on its knees?

What do you call Lennons loss against Ross County in the National Semi then? Fk sake his team selection made Jimmy Scott look a superstar.

Ryan69
01-01-2019, 10:11 PM
That’s ridiculously unfair. He’d been out injured for over a year and hadn’t planned to return as early as he did with Hibs. Was planning on getting ready for the following season.

Just cause your injured for abit doesnt mean you cant keep a descent shape about you.

Ill always believe that if he wasnt so out of shape...he would of reached both of The Rangers goals.

He had 1 fantastic game!
He did win us that game though.

Apart from that...He was not that great really.

If he was so fantastic,and now back in shape...where is he playing?
Back up goalie at bloody Mansfield Town!

B.H.F.C
01-01-2019, 10:14 PM

Agree about that cup final. We should have won that. Never turned up that day.

Best result of that season was managing to pick ourselves up and win the quarter final replay up at Inverness 3 days later IMO.

The 90+2
01-01-2019, 10:15 PM

Best result of that season was managing to pick ourselves up and win the quarter final replay up at Inverness 3 days later IMO.

One of the best results in modern history that nobody seen coming. God bless Anthony Stokes.

B.H.F.C
01-01-2019, 10:16 PM
Just cause your injured for abit doesnt mean you cant keep a descent shape about you.

Ill always believe that if he wasnt so out of shape...he would of reached both of The Rangers goals.

He had 1 fantastic game!
He did win us that game though.

Apart from that...He was not that great really.

If he was so fantastic,and now back in shape...where is he playing?
Back up goalie at bloody Mansfield Town!

I agree with your general point that he had one brilliant game and was otherwise average. Made a big mistake at home to Falkirk in the play offs.

But nobody was reaching those two Rangers goals in that final. Both were absolute bullets.

Hi Heid Yin
01-01-2019, 10:17 PM
You clearly didn’t love Stubbsy and love Neil Lennon.

Losing to hearts in the Scottish was a much worse embarrassment than losing a cup final. Hearts where utter pap last season and somehow won twice against us and our shambolic set up. Losing Ross County having been the better side wasn’t an embarrassment. Lennon losing to Ross County in the Scottish Cup Semi final is as embarrassing as anything though and Morton in the league cup?

I maintain that I love both managers.

Stubbsy for the Scottish Cup win and the sheer satisfaction of eliminating Hearts on the way.

Lennon for adding steel and instilling a collective winning mentality (in practically the same bunch of players) in clinching The Championship, and then guiding us to a European slot.

Speedy
01-01-2019, 10:17 PM
If it’s essentially the same team of staff identifying signings why is Stubbs signing record so much better than Lennon’s?

Hard to compare at this stage as Stubbs' signings had the benefit of time to win everyone over (thinking Boyle & McGeouch in particular)

Austinho
01-01-2019, 10:25 PM
Some of the players Stubbs signed 4.5 years ago still form the backbone of the club. 6 of them proved to be good enough to leave the club for bigger teams. Stubbs built for the future, and transformed the future of the club from nothing.

The worrying thing about Lennon’s signings is the building for the future part - how many of those signings do we envisage being at the club in the next 2-4 years? Many of them have either proven to be not good enough or they are on short term contracts or loans. Lots of stopgap options, and for the 2nd January in a row he’s have to start from scratch after a summer of poor recruitment. Loan signings saved our season last year, then we had to build all over again at the start of this season. Seems we are now in a perpetual cycle of rebuilding each transfer window rather than continuity.

BILLYHIBS
01-01-2019, 10:28 PM
Player for player who built the squad when it was on its knees?

What do you call Lennons loss against Ross County in the National Semi then? Fk sake his team selection made Jimmy Scott look a superstar.

More worrying in my eyes was Lennys team selection versus the Sheep in the Scottish Cup Semi Final 2017

Ball passed back to SJM from kick off Lenny shouts to him to take it for a walk McGinn gets ambushed

Macgregor has a chance to clear 1-0

Ball does not stick with Cummings as a lone striker

Christie scores an opportunist free kick catching out Rocky on his near post

Grant Holt comes on for Fyvie ball starts to stick and we are back in the game 2-2

Eventually we lose out 2-3 through an unlucky deflection but in my eyes sheep were there there to be taken and once again we lose out through a poor initial team selection

calumhibee1
01-01-2019, 10:29 PM

I fully intended to go to Inverness but I just couldn’t see any way we were winning after the way we lost the final. With it being midweek I decided to give it a miss. As you said, probably the most important/impressive result of that season. To bounce back from that in the way we did, especially seeing as we went onto win the cup was possibly the biggest non derby/cup final result in our history.

Centre Hawf
01-01-2019, 10:35 PM

Stubbsy for the Scottish Cup win and the sheer satisfaction of eliminating Hearts on the way.

Lennon for adding steel and instilling a collective winning mentality (in practically the same bunch of players) in clinching The Championship, and then guiding us to a European slot.

We lost a game of football against a side who were just as up for as we were that day in Ross County. It was no embarrassment at all. Do you not remember any of the other Finals we'd been in years prior? Those were embarrassments.

Lennons winning mentality is an absolute myth people fall back on. Where is it at the moment? That winning mentality you speak so highly off to get us out the championship only managed us 1 extra point compared to Stubbs the year before, yet one finish is a disgrace and the others an amazing bit of man managing? Mental the perspective 1 single point can have on a managers legacy.

Hi Heid Yin
01-01-2019, 11:04 PM
We lost a game of football against a side who were just as up for as we were that day in Ross County. It was no embarrassment at all. Do you not remember any of the other Finals we'd been in years prior? Those were embarrassments.

Lennons winning mentality is an absolute myth people fall back on. Where is it at the moment? That winning mentality you speak so highly off to get us out the championship only managed us 1 extra point compared to Stubbs the year before, yet one finish is a disgrace and the others an amazing bit of man managing? Mental the perspective 1 single point can have on a managers legacy.

We always had a soft underbelly with Stubbsys team and suffered sequences of poor league results. The League Cup Final angered me as it demonstrated that soft underbelly - that ability to conjure up a defeat even when we actually played quite well. That Ross County side were there for the taking and we failed to deliver - as we did in the league and the playoffs under Stubbsy for 2 seasons.

No matter which way you look at it or spin it, Stubbsy just could not get us promoted, whether automatically or through the play offs.

Neil Lennon did.

The 90+2
01-01-2019, 11:11 PM

What about building a team on its knees and bringing in amazing footballers great wins, who could forget the huns on the 27th and bringing back thousands onto the gate? Stubbs didn’t just win us the cup, he revitalised the club. Lennon brought a steel to his side and has done well but there’s genuinely no contest.

I would love the players both had to answer the question of who was better for them.

The 90+2
01-01-2019, 11:14 PM
We always had a soft underbelly with Stubbsys team and suffered sequences of poor league results. The League Cup Final angered me as it demonstrated that soft underbelly - that ability to conjure up a defeat even when we actually played quite well. That Ross County side were there for the taking and we failed to deliver - as we did in the league and the playoffs under Stubbsy for 2 seasons.

No matter which way you look at it or spin it, Stubbsy just could not get us promoted, whether automatically or through the play offs.

Neil Lennon did.

Lennon had pish in the league with to compete with. There’s no danger he would have taken us up with huns and hearts in the league. Not a hope.

Lennon has taken us miles backwards now Stubbs side have left. I’m not sure how you can defend otherwise.

A few points behind the same as last hear I hear? Aye that’s with the best midfield in Scotland Stubbs created. This year the best midfielder we have is an academy player.

Hibeesmad
01-01-2019, 11:18 PM
Stubbs made some excellent signings considering we were a championship team. Lennon has also brought some great talent in.

Stubbs was the manager who won us the Scottish Cup so will always be highly regarded and rightly so. However Lennon has achieved a lot of great things for the club in the 2 and a half years he’s been here. Won the Championship, two cup semi finals, finished 4th in our first season back in the Premiership and winning a few rounds in Europe bringing in record attendances and giving hibs a footprint of playing attacking football brilliant to watch.

To replace McGinn, Allan and McGeough was always going to be a very difficult job and the signings of Mallan and Hyndman (who majority of people on here probably were happy with up until November) unfortunately went off the boil over the last couple of months.

This window is going to be huge for us and will have a big outcome on our end of season achievements.

If the board are fully behind Lennon then they will give him all the money they can to help him bring in the players he wants. If they don’t trust him and we don’t bring in the players required, I don’t expect him to be our manager next season.

Hi Heid Yin
01-01-2019, 11:20 PM
What about building a team on its knees and bringing in amazing footballers great wins, who could forget the huns on the 27th and bringing back thousands onto the gate? Stubbs didn’t just win us the cup, he revitalised the club. Lennon brought a steel to his side and has done well but there’s genuinely no contest.

I would love the players both had to answer the question of who was better for them.

I 100% agree that Stubbsy revitalised us and brought in some great players. Thrashing Sevco 4-0 was sheer delight.

Stubbsy himself is a genuinely nice guy to boot. I met and chatted with him once at The Ocean Terminal Starbucks.

Neil Lennon is actually a nice guy off the pitch too, but a real firey and passionate character when donning his manager's cap.

I too would be interested in hearing what some of the players (who played under both) think of Stubbsy and Lenny.

Centre Hawf
01-01-2019, 11:21 PM

Neil Lennon did.

As others have said I don't think there's a chance in hell that had Lennon came into the situation Stubbs did he would have got us promoted either, and I also doubt he'd have gotten as as many scalps/cup runs, and a trophy. Stubbs would have walked the Championship had he stayed the next season.

The 90+2
01-01-2019, 11:22 PM
I 100% agree that Stubbsy revitalised us and brought in some great players. Thrashing Sevco 4-0 was sheer delight.

Stubbsy himself is a genuinely nice guy to boot. I met and chatted with him once at The Ocean Terminal Starbucks.

Neil Lennon is actually a nice guy off the pitch too, but a real firey and passionate character when donning his manager's cap.

I too would be interested in hearing what some of the players (who played under both) think of Stubbsy and Lenny.

Top man 👍 happy new year by the way mate.

Hibeesmad
01-01-2019, 11:25 PM
I’m actually interested to see what Stubbs next move will be. Will be difficult for him to get a decent gig after getting sacked by Rotherham and St Mirren within 5 months I think of being in both jobs.

Hi Heid Yin
01-01-2019, 11:27 PM
Lennon had pish in the league with to compete with. There’s no danger he would have taken us up with huns and hearts in the league. Not a hope.

Lennon has taken us miles backwards now Stubbs side have left. I’m not sure how you can defend otherwise.

A few points behind the same as last hear I hear? Aye that’s with the best midfield in Scotland Stubbs created. This year the best midfielder we have is an academy player.

This is mere conjecture and, with all due respect, a nonsense too.

None of us can seriously look back and say that this manager would have done this that or the other if they'd been in charge.

I could equally retort that Lenny would have got us promoted ahead of Hearts that first season down and won us the League Cup and Scottish Cup final while he was at it.

MWHIBBIES
01-01-2019, 11:28 PM

Lennon for adding steel and instilling a collective winning mentality (in practically the same bunch of players) in clinching The Championship, and then guiding us to a European slot.Lennon hasn't insilled a winning mentality at all, we've won 2 games in 13.

wookie70

What about getting pumped 3-1 at Home v Queen of the South the season after that in the league cup. I know which cup run was less capable given similar players in my opinion

The 90+2

None of us can seriously look back and say that this manager would have done this that or the other if they'd been in charge.

I could equally retort that Lenny would have got us promoted ahead of Hearts that first season down and won us the League Cup and Scottish Cup final while he was at it.

👍

SquashedFrogg
01-01-2019, 11:32 PM

You're quite an angry person btw. No need. Seems to be a theme with your posts. It's the festive period, time to reflect and take stock. We are all Hibees here mate.

Just trying to calm things, no offence.

2019 we need to come together.

The 90+2
01-01-2019, 11:37 PM
You're quite an angry person btw. No need. Seems to be a theme with your posts. It's the festive period, time to reflect and take stock. We are all Hibees here mate.

Just trying to calm things, no offence.

2019 we need to come together.

I’m not sure how you work that one out mate but fair enough mate 👍No offence taken at all. Post will be taken on board too.

snedzuk
01-01-2019, 11:38 PM

Neil Lennon did.

......and being humped at home by queen of the south in the league cup has been airbrushed from history.

calumhibee1
01-01-2019, 11:47 PM

I think people always bring up this sort of thing though when people say Stubbs couldn’t get us promoted, Lennon did. Obviously that’s a fact but it’s a massively unfair comparison to make seeing as we’re comparing Stubbs competing against a team with a budget 5 or 6 times ours and a Hearts team that had spent 6 or 7 months preparing for life in that league while we’re talking about Lennon having a budget probably not far off twice the size or more of everyone he had to compete with and taking over a club who just had the greatest moment in our history and a squad packed full of talent.

Of course Lennon may have rebuilt us in our first season after relegation and being a **** show and closed the 21 point gap on Hearts. I think if we’re being honest though, deep down i would think there’s very few people believe that - and that’s not a criticism of Lennon by the way, next to no manager would have imo. We’ll never know for sure. The second season we were competing against a much improved Rangers team who like I said had a budget that dwarfed ours. We finished behind Falkirk which was disappointing but it could be said the fact we made it to two cup finals (eventually winning one after the league season finished) was partly to blame for that.

People get defensive when they hear the “Lennon got us promoted, Stubbs didn’t” line (myself included) because it seems like a hugely unfair comparison to use against one of the most legendary people to ever grace our football club.

The 90+2
01-01-2019, 11:53 PM
I think people always bring up this sort of thing though when people say Stubbs couldn’t get us promoted, Lennon did. Obviously that’s a fact but it’s a massively unfair comparison to make seeing as we’re comparing Stubbs competing against a team with a budget 5 or 6 times ours and a Hearts team that had spent 6 or 7 months preparing for life in that league while we’re talking about Lennon having a budget probably not far off twice the size or more of everyone he had to compete with and taking over a club who just had the greatest moment in our history and a squad packed full of talent.

Of course Lennon may have rebuilt us in our first season after relegation and being a **** show and closed the 21 point gap on Hearts. I think if we’re being honest though, deep down i would think there’s very few people believe that - and that’s not a criticism of Lennon by the way, next to no manager would have imo. We’ll never know for sure. The second season we were competing against a much improved Rangers team who like I said had a budget that dwarfed ours. We finished behind Falkirk which was disappointing but it could be said the fact we made it to two cup finals (eventually winning one after the league season finished) was partly to blame for that.

People get defensive when they hear the “Lennon got us promoted, Stubbs didn’t” line (myself included) because it seems like a hugely unfair comparison to use against one of the most legendary people to ever grace our football club.

100% spot on. Word for word.

Perhaps I do come across angry and I’ve never realised that before and will take more consideration in my posts but, some can’t see Neil Lennon doing no wrong to the detriment of Stubbs. And it seems whenever criticises the manager people take it personally.

Hi Heid Yin
02-01-2019, 12:02 AM
Top man 👍 happy new year by the way mate.

Happy New Year to you too bud.

No one needs to tell me that we both want the absolute best for our club.

pacoluna
02-01-2019, 01:52 AM
I’m actually interested to see what Stubbs next move will be. Will be difficult for him to get a decent gig after getting sacked by Rotherham and St Mirren within 5 months I think of being in both jobs.

Can see him going back to being a youth coach.

pacoluna
02-01-2019, 01:56 AM

It's so evident that those like you who bash Lennon at every single opportunity after every single game is through nothing but absolute spite, the spite being through the fact he replaced stubbs. We all love Stubbs, but he's gone now and I very much doubt he'll be back in a professional capacity giving his managerial record since.

houstonhibbee
02-01-2019, 03:27 AM
What's the point of this thread. Lennon is our manager not Stubbs, he chose to leave us.

heretoday
02-01-2019, 05:50 AM
Stubbs would have got us promoted eventually.

calumhibee1
02-01-2019, 06:28 AM
What's the point of this thread. Lennon is our manager not Stubbs, he chose to leave us.

To compare their signings? Don’t see what’s wrong with it especially when one of the managers inherited a lot of very good players from the other.

we are hibs
02-01-2019, 07:58 AM

Without doubt the most ridiculous argument of them all. We did win the Scottish cup. His style of football was far better than it was under fenlon. Fenlon was out his depth and it showed. Nice enough guy but shouldn't have been hibs manager.

BILLYHIBS
02-01-2019, 09:05 AM
Credit to Stubbs he had to rebuild our depleted squad and turn them into Championship contenders and Scottish Cup winners revitalising our club

It took Lennon to finally get us over the Championship line

The vultures are now circling

Lennons current season has been dogged by mood swings, international call ups, injuries to key players, suspensions, poor and baffling team selections, poor man management calls, avoiding the press unfortunately racist and sectarian abuse and threatening to leave on at least two occasions

This is a big window for Lennon he needs to get it right and needs the backing of the Board

A bottom six finish and I fear he will walk

Edit:

Stubbs should never have left HIBS big mistake!

we are hibs
02-01-2019, 09:15 AM
Lennon hasn't insilled a winning mentality at all, we've won 2 games in 13.

People talk about myths on here all the time. That's the biggest one.

Gloucester Hibs
02-01-2019, 09:18 AM
Some of the players Stubbs signed 4.5 years ago still form the backbone of the club. 6 of them proved to be good enough to leave the club for bigger teams. Stubbs built for the future, and transformed the future of the club from nothing.

The worrying thing about Lennon’s signings is the building for the future part - how many of those signings do we envisage being at the club in the next 2-4 years? Many of them have either proven to be not good enough or they are on short term contracts or loans. Lots of stopgap options, and for the 2nd January in a row he’s have to start from scratch after a summer of poor recruitment. Loan signings saved our season last year, then we had to build all over again at the start of this season. Seems we are now in a perpetual cycle of rebuilding each transfer window rather than continuity.

Good post.

judas
02-01-2019, 09:23 AM
I make that 12 -7 to Stubbs.

That is to say 12 very good signings who made a positive impact for Stubbs.

hibbydog
02-01-2019, 10:12 AM

Good thread IMO, and makes me realise how good Stubbs signings were.

Inevitably debate turns to bickering though.

Sigh

MacGruber
02-01-2019, 11:08 AM
I make that 12 -7 to Stubbs.

That is to say 12 very good signings who made a positive impact for Stubbs.

I make it 14 - 9 to Stubbs with the 14 far stronger. Lennon's 9 include Scott Allan and Stokes second time round.

matty_f
02-01-2019, 11:24 AM

Good post.

IMHO it seems like we've got a recruitment team that are there to identify players for Lennon, who at the same time seems to be preferring players put to him by agents.

I get that there will be times where a player might come to us that we think is better than those that we identified and so we take advantage of that, and in principle I'm not against that.

However, I think when that happens we might be getting a good player but they won't necessarily have the specific attributes that the recruitment team have been looking for.

In which case, it's probably more likely that we find ourselves in the situation where we are after the last window - I don't think we signed bad players, but I also don't think we signed players that do what we need them to do to play the way Lennon wants us to.

I don't have an issue with the level of investment, I think it's demonstrably evident that Lennon was given sufficient funds to have us challenging higher in the league than we are now, but I do think that there has been a deviation from the recruitment strategy which means that we haven't done as well as we could have done.

Swedish hibee
02-01-2019, 11:25 AM
Sir David Gray💚

MacGruber
02-01-2019, 11:33 AM
I make it 14 - 9 to Stubbs with the 14 far stronger. Lennon's 9 include Scott Allan and Stokes second time round.

I also make it from a top 10 of all those signings I would say Stubbs signed about 8 or 9.

Lennon clearly had a better eye for goalies though

Makalambay
02-01-2019, 11:35 AM
Scanned the entire thread and dont see a mention of the single common denominator here, George Craig and his recruitment team.

Whilst im sure both managers had the 'final say' on who to sign it is likely that most players were identified via the head of football operations - credit or otherwise should largely lie with that department.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/hibs-transfer-strategy-uncovered-club-11758466

GreenNWhiteArmy
02-01-2019, 11:35 AM
Comparing apples and oranges as far as their respective time in charge goes imo

Stubbs rebuilt a club from its knees granted with help from above him to become 1) Scottish cup winners 2) top dogs in Edinburgh 3) reconnected the club to it's supporters playing a style of football I've seen a handful of times since attending my first game in 1993

I don't believe it's a case of "well Lennon got us promoted so he's the better manager" as each season should be judged individually in which case all of the last 4 seasons, have imo been a success

What lennon has done though, is take the players Stubbsy brought in or were already at the club, to another level. At various points we've spoke about SDG, Hanlon, McGregor, Boyle being capable of joining lewy, SJM and Dylan as Scotland internationalists.

It's not ALL about signings for me, it's how you utilise the players you have at your disposal and Lennon edges it although Stubbsy was a better motivator

SirDavidsNapper
02-01-2019, 11:38 AM
Stubbs made a bad team (or lack of a team) very decent. Lennon has made a very decent team decidedly average at best with his signings.

H18S NX
02-01-2019, 11:54 AM
Stubbs wins it for me imo.

calumhibee1
02-01-2019, 12:01 PM
Stubbs made a bad team (or lack of a team) very decent. Lennon has made a very decent team decidedly average at best with his signings.

I think that’s a bit harsh. I agree with the point about Stubbs but Lennon lost probably the best midfield I’ve ever seen at Hibs in one go. So yes, a very good team has became average at best one and that’s partly down to his signings but there was always going to be a drop in quality due to who we lost. It just shouldn’t have been as big a drop.

Borderhibbie76
02-01-2019, 12:05 PM
Credit to Stubbs he had to rebuild our depleted squad and turn them into Championship contenders and Scottish Cup winners revitalising our club

It took Lennon to finally get us over the Championship line

The vultures are now circling

Lennons current season has been dogged by mood swings, international call ups, injuries to key players, suspensions, poor and baffling team selections, poor man management calls, avoiding the press unfortunately racist and sectarian abuse and threatening to leave on at least two occasions

This is a big window for Lennon he needs to get it right and needs the backing of the Board

A bottom six finish and I fear he will walk

Edit:

Stubbs should never have left HIBS big mistake!If we do finish bottom 6 I'd hope he would walk as that is a failure on our budget and not good enough imo.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

B.H.F.C
02-01-2019, 01:09 PM

Harsh on Lennon.

He inherited some good players and helped develop others. Boyle is the obvious one. He wasn’t a regular under Stubbs and I don’t think too many people would have been overly fussed had he left.

The team that played in the second half of last season had McGregor, McGeouch, McGinn and Boyle in it that were signed by Stubbs. The likes of Ambrose, Marciano and Kamberi (in the form he was at the time) helped improve us massively. It was a mix of Stubbs and Lennon’s players.

Lennon did, initially, improve what he inherited and the drop off has been a result of what he’s now lost. Whether he can turn it around only time will tell.

Connollys11
02-01-2019, 02:03 PM
But he did.

Fenlon had a squad full of loan signings and one year contracts.

If we had lost in the final check the nick of the squad Stubbs left Lennon with.
When a say he would just be another fenlon am no actually comparing him to fenlon bro what a mean is if we had lost that final then he would just be another bang average manager who took us to a couple of cup finals and failed to get us out the second tier of Scottish football on two separate occasions.

Connollys11
02-01-2019, 02:06 PM
Without doubt the most ridiculous argument of them all. We did win the Scottish cup. His style of football was far better than it was under fenlon. Fenlon was out his depth and it showed. Nice enough guy but shouldn't have been hibs manager.

It's hardly ridiculous folk were wanting him sacked after the play off second leg at falkirk. Am no directly comparing him with fenlon fs all am saying is he would be in the long list of pish managers we've had over the years who were nearly men had we not won the Scottish.

we are hibs
02-01-2019, 04:19 PM
It's hardly ridiculous folk were wanting him sacked after the play off second leg at falkirk. Am no directly comparing him with fenlon fs all am saying is he would be in the long list of pish managers we've had over the years who were nearly men had we not won the Scottish.

But he isn't. So what's your point?

Hibs90
02-01-2019, 05:11 PM
Tomas Cerny
David Gray
Marty Kennedy
Franck Dja Djedje
Fraser Fyvie
Scott Allan
Liam Fontaine
Mark Oxley
Farid El Alagui
Jake Sinclair
Martin Boyle
Dylan Mcgeouch
Keith Watson
Dom Malonga
John Mcginn
Darren Mcgregor
Antonio Requero
Chris Dagnall
Dan Carmichael
Marvin Bartley
Kevin Thomson
James Keatings
Jamie Insall
Anthony Stokes
Henri Anier
Liam Henderson
Islam Feruz
Niklas Gunnarsson
Conrad Logan
Adam Eckersley

Lennon - 31 signings

Grant Holt
Brian Graham
Scott Gallagher
Chris Humphrey
Ross Laidlaw
Ofir Marciano
Andrew Shinnie
Kris Commons
Efe Ambrose
Neal Eardley
Brian McLean
Vykintas Slivka
Anthony Stokes
Davydas Matulevicious
Cammy Bell
Steven Whittaker
Danny Swanson
Simon Murray
Faycal Rherras
Scott Allan
Jamie McLaren
Brandon Barker
Flo Kamberi
Stevie Mallan
Mark Milligan
Emerson Hyndman
Adam Bogdan
Thomas Agyepong
Daryl Horgan
Harry Mavrias
Miquel Nelom

Stubbs for me by a mile.

SideBurns
02-01-2019, 05:32 PM
Tomas Cerny
David Gray
Marty Kennedy
Franck Dja Djedje
Fraser Fyvie
Scott Allan
Liam Fontaine
Mark Oxley
Farid El Alagui
Jake Sinclair
Martin Boyle
Dylan Mcgeouch
Keith Watson
Dom Malonga
John Mcginn
Darren Mcgregor
Antonio Requero
Chris Dagnall
Dan Carmichael
Marvin Bartley
Kevin Thomson
James Keatings
Jamie Insall
Anthony Stokes
Henri Anier
Liam Henderson
Islam Feruz
Niklas Gunnarsson
Conrad Logan
Adam Eckersley

Lennon - 31 signings

Grant Holt
Brian Graham
Scott Gallagher
Chris Humphrey
Ross Laidlaw
Ofir Marciano
Andrew Shinnie
Kris Commons
Efe Ambrose
Neal Eardley
Brian McLean
Vykintas Slivka
Anthony Stokes
Davydas Matulevicious
Cammy Bell
Steven Whittaker
Danny Swanson
Simon Murray
Faycal Rherras
Scott Allan
Jamie McLaren
Brandon Barker
Flo Kamberi
Stevie Mallan
Mark Milligan
Emerson Hyndman
Adam Bogdan
Thomas Agyepong
Daryl Horgan
Harry Mavrias
Miquel Nelom

Stubbs for me by a mile.

You don't think Laidlaw, Commons, & Bogdan were/ are good signings?

Connollys11
02-01-2019, 06:01 PM
But he isn't. So what's your point?

My point is Lennon is clearly a better manager.

Smartie
02-01-2019, 07:10 PM
Stubbs also managed exclusively in the Championship whilst playing bigger clubs in one off games in the cups, whilst Lennon started in the Championship and has had to continue in the Premier League.

The standard IS higher, and there are different levels of expectation. There was a different pressure in the Championship, but we were more likely to enjoy a lot of pressure and try to dominate teams. We're more likely to have teams press us higher up the park in the Premier League. I think the Premier League will be tougher for midfielders and forwards to stand out, whereas you're more likely to notice your defenders having a good game.

Not sure exactly what point I'm trying to make here, but I do think it is worth taking into consideration. New signings might bed in a little differently in the 2 leagues.

Speedy
02-01-2019, 07:21 PM
Tomas Cerny
David Gray
Marty Kennedy
Franck Dja Djedje
Fraser Fyvie
Scott Allan
Liam Fontaine
Mark Oxley
Farid El Alagui
Jake Sinclair
Martin Boyle
Dylan Mcgeouch
Keith Watson
Dom Malonga
John Mcginn
Darren Mcgregor
Antonio Requero
Chris Dagnall
Dan Carmichael
Marvin Bartley
Kevin Thomson
James Keatings
Jamie Insall
Anthony Stokes
Henri Anier
Liam Henderson
Islam Feruz
Niklas Gunnarsson
Conrad Logan
Adam Eckersley

Lennon - 31 signings

Grant Holt
Brian Graham
Scott Gallagher
Chris Humphrey
Ross Laidlaw
Ofir Marciano
Andrew Shinnie
Kris Commons
Efe Ambrose
Neal Eardley
Brian McLean
Vykintas Slivka
Anthony Stokes
Davydas Matulevicious
Cammy Bell
Steven Whittaker
Danny Swanson
Simon Murray
Faycal Rherras
Scott Allan
Jamie McLaren
Brandon Barker
Flo Kamberi
Stevie Mallan
Mark Milligan
Emerson Hyndman
Adam Bogdan
Thomas Agyepong
Daryl Horgan
Harry Mavrias
Miquel Nelom

Stubbs for me by a mile.

Some strange verdicts there...

Bogdan (and Bain who isn't on the list) are better keepers than Oxley & Logan.

Commons was a fairly successful emergency loan.

Also odd having Stokes as a positive for Stubbs but not for Lennon.

hhibs
02-01-2019, 07:26 PM
Scanned the entire thread and dont see a mention of the single common denominator here, George Craig and his recruitment team.

Whilst im sure both managers had the 'final say' on who to sign it is likely that most players were identified via the head of football operations - credit or otherwise should largely lie with that department.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/hibs-transfer-strategy-uncovered-club-11758466

As you say.

Perhaps the buck actually should be stopping there !

wookie70
02-01-2019, 07:34 PM
Some strange verdicts there...

Bogdan (and Bain who isn't on the list) are better keepers than Oxley & Logan.

Commons was a fairly successful emergency loan.

Also odd having Stokes as a positive for Stubbs but not for Lennon.

I don't think Stokes was a positive for Lennon. I agree about the others though and Commons was a good signing but not exactly on teh same level as Henderson. Similar position but one could have ended up being our star of teh future the other was on his way down. That is the big difference for me. I saw real value in the majority of Stubb's signings. i often thought we would get our money's worth or make a profit. I can't say the same with Lennon's signings.

The 90+2
02-01-2019, 07:37 PM
Tomas Cerny
David Gray
Marty Kennedy
Franck Dja Djedje
Fraser Fyvie
Scott Allan
Liam Fontaine
Mark Oxley
Farid El Alagui
Jake Sinclair
Martin Boyle
Dylan Mcgeouch
Keith Watson
Dom Malonga
John Mcginn
Darren Mcgregor
Antonio Requero
Chris Dagnall
Dan Carmichael
Marvin Bartley
Kevin Thomson
James Keatings
Jamie Insall
Anthony Stokes
Henri Anier
Liam Henderson
Islam Feruz
Niklas Gunnarsson
Conrad Logan
Adam Eckersley

Lennon - 31 signings

Grant Holt
Brian Graham
Scott Gallagher
Chris Humphrey
Ross Laidlaw
Ofir Marciano
Andrew Shinnie
Kris Commons
Efe Ambrose
Neal Eardley
Brian McLean
Vykintas Slivka
Anthony Stokes
Davydas Matulevicious
Cammy Bell
Steven Whittaker
Danny Swanson
Simon Murray
Faycal Rherras
Scott Allan
Jamie McLaren
Brandon Barker
Flo Kamberi
Stevie Mallan
Mark Milligan
Emerson Hyndman
Adam Bogdan
Thomas Agyepong
Daryl Horgan
Harry Mavrias
Miquel Nelom

Stubbs for me by a mile.

Very generous to include Shinnie then leave out a guy who scored in a derby win.

The 90+2
02-01-2019, 07:40 PM
As you say.

Perhaps the buck actually should be stopping there !

I think a reason of persuasion to get or keep Lennon would be giving him a bit of a bigger say in who’s brought in.

SideBurns
02-01-2019, 07:51 PM
Very generous to include Shinnie then leave out a guy who scored in a derby win.

Shinnie scored in a derby win too, mind.

PercyHibs
02-01-2019, 08:13 PM
For me, Stubbs made the better signings. Lennon has brought in really good players too but has had more duds.

As for the better manager, I would take Lennon every time. (Despite the baggage that comes along with it) Stubbs has a fantastic record in the big games but I remember a lot of really poor performances against lesser teams and a couple of long periods without a win. FWIW I think Lennon would have taken us up 2nd season in the championship.

Both great managers for the club in their own right.

pacoluna
02-01-2019, 08:17 PM
My dad's better than your dad.

Speedy
02-01-2019, 08:19 PM
I don't think Stokes was a positive for Lennon. I agree about the others though and Commons was a good signing but not exactly on teh same level as Henderson. Similar position but one could have ended up being our star of teh future the other was on his way down. That is the big difference for me. I saw real value in the majority of Stubb's signings. i often thought we would get our money's worth or make a profit. I can't say the same with Lennon's signings.

He scored more goals under Lennon and at a higher level. Not that he was Lennon's signing as such anyway.

In terms of top signings I agree Stubbs edges it with a few coming as unknowns and leaving/currently being key players. Time will tell whether any of Lennon's will do the same.

In terms of volume I don't think there's much in it. Keatings/Murray being another example, both did their bit -
ultimately not good enough but helped us get promoted/got us a bit cash respectively so on the whole can't complain.

Eyrie
02-01-2019, 10:19 PM
Stokes was a success under Stubbs because of his performance in the Scottish Cup Final, although before that he'd divided opinion.

Stokes wasn't a success under Lennon because he was released after just six months.

Straightforward to me.

Centre Hawf
02-01-2019, 11:53 PM
Stokes was a success under Stubbs because of his performance in the Scottish Cup Final, although before that he'd divided opinion.

Stokes wasn't a success under Lennon because he was released after just six months.

Straightforward to me.

You could argue on League form only both signings of Stokes were failures. But I have to admit it's reasonable to say Stokes under Stubbs was a success due to the fact he was unplayable that day and was instrumental in our replay win up in Inverness.

Some people will point to Stokes goal return under Lennon but quite honestly a few of his goals were consolation penalties in games we'd lost the points in already by that point (Aberdeen away and Hamilton at home spring to mind). He was a failure upon his return.

Connollys11
03-01-2019, 12:00 AM
You could argue on League form only both signings of Stokes were failures. But I have to admit it's reasonable to say Stokes under Stubbs was a success due to the fact he was unplayable that day and was instrumental in our replay win up in Inverness.

Some people will point to Stokes goal return under Lennon but quite honestly a few of his goals were consolation penalties in games we'd lost the points in already by that point (Aberdeen away and Hamilton at home spring to mind). He was a failure upon his return.

He stepped up when it mattered but apart from the cup final he was below par both spells like. The cup final was his only decent display.

Centre Hawf
03-01-2019, 12:11 AM
He stepped up when it mattered but apart from the cup final he was below par both spells like. The cup final was his only decent display.

Agreed mate. I won't blame Lennon for bringing him back because at the time I wanted him (although we were slow to bring in someone to replace Cummings) but his best decision was getting rid of him in January.

greeny
03-01-2019, 08:02 AM
You've all forgotten a Stubbs signing that actually played in our run to winning the Scottish Cup.
Otso Virtanen

Mac_17
03-01-2019, 10:11 AM
Tbh I love both managers. In the past 10 years it would be difficult to pick two managers back to back that I have done a great job here.

However I think the Stubbs rebuild gives him the edge, I can’t really see Lennon being able to rebuild us from what we were when Stubbs started. Lennon has done a good job of adding some talent to our team but the main spine of our best line up would be players that Stubbs brought in.

pacoluna
03-01-2019, 01:52 PM
Is there actually anyone that feels it's time for Lennon to go but don't want Stubbs back? Seems to me that those who keep on laying into Lennon always seems to bring up Stubbs's name.

The 90+2
03-01-2019, 01:53 PM
Is there actually anyone that feels it's time for Lennon to go but don't want Stubbs back? Seems to me that those who keep on laying into Lennon always seems to bring up Stubbs's name.

Yes. I’ve never once suggested Stubbs returns as manager.

pacoluna
03-01-2019, 01:55 PM
Yes. I’ve never once suggested Stubbs returns as manager.

Why compare then? I would see the point if Stubbs was sacked.

Hibeesmad
03-01-2019, 01:55 PM
You've all forgotten a Stubbs signing that actually played in our run to winning the Scottish Cup.
Otso Virtanen

Totally forgot about him

The 90+2
03-01-2019, 01:59 PM

I didn’t make the thread mate I thought it was interesting though based on the managers we have had since relegation/Dempster/Craig.

Speedy
03-01-2019, 03:12 PM

I'm on the fence about Lennon. I don't want him sacked but it doesn't seem like he's fully committed.

Stubbs was almost opposite. If we didn't win the cup I reckon he would've been sacked so was quite glad to see him leave in good light when he did.

we are hibs
03-01-2019, 03:28 PM

Lennon is being compared to the manager he replaced though. That's the only reason they are compared. I don't want Stubbs back as a manager if/when Lennon goes.

thebausburst
03-01-2019, 04:53 PM

If you check the original thread it’s a comparison of their respective signings not the managers. I started the thread because I’m interested in folks views on why Stubbs signings were, on the whole, so much better despite fact Lenny has had a far bigger budget to operate with.

Connollys11
03-01-2019, 04:56 PM
Agreed mate. I won't blame Lennon for bringing him back because at the time I wanted him (although we were slow to bring in someone to replace Cummings) but his best decision was getting rid of him in January.

Aye definitely bud a was the same a was buzzing when we signed um but he was rank rotten. A think kamberi will be away this window aswell a think Lenny will have a clear out like.

pacoluna
03-01-2019, 04:59 PM
If you check the original thread it’s a comparison of their respective signings not the managers. I started the thread because I’m interested in folks views on why Stubbs signings were, on the whole, so much better despite fact Lenny has had a far bigger budget to operate with.

So we agree then that the reason for the thread in reality is to have a pop at Lennon?

Connollys11
03-01-2019, 05:05 PM
So we agree then that the reason for the thread in reality is to have a pop at Lennon?

It most definitely is pal.

calumhibee1
03-01-2019, 05:07 PM

The threads to compare the two managers signings as they both operated with the same recruitment team or whatever we’re calling them in place. If you feel it’s to have a pop at Lennon then that’s probably because his recruitment has been poorer than Alan Stubbs’ recruitment.

Don’t really see the issue in it, it’s quite a fair and also an interesting comparison to make.

pacoluna
03-01-2019, 05:14 PM
The threads to compare the two managers signings as they both operated with the same recruitment team or whatever we’re calling them in place. If you feel it’s to have a pop at Lennon then that’s probably because his recruitment has been poorer than Alan Stubbs’ recruitment.

Don’t really see the issue in it, it’s quite a fair and also an interesting comparison to make.

Hibs was the rite club at the rite time for Stubbs, he had a clean slate and and open canvas to recruit and completely rebuild the team and to a certain extent was successful. He tried the same approach with Rotherham and st mirren when it wasn't needed and look what happened.

Comparing recruitment between lennon and Stubbs is like comparing apples and pears given the totally different situations in which they became manager.

calumhibee1
03-01-2019, 05:20 PM
Hibs was the rite club at the rite time for Stubbs, he had a clean slate and and open canvas to recruit and completely rebuild the team and to a certain extent was successful. He tried the same approach with Rotherham and st mirren when it wasn't needed and look what happened.

Comparing recruitment between lennon and Stubbs is like comparing apples and pears given the totally different situations in which they became manager.

He needed to completely rebuild in his first window. He didn’t need to completely rebuild when he signed SJM, Henderson, McGregor, Stokes, Boyle or Bartley, 4 of which have been terrific servants for Hibs and the other two who played such pivotal parts in the greatest day in every Hibs fans life but didn’t serve us for nearly as long.

Radium
03-01-2019, 05:21 PM
Otso Virtanen

Was he in goals for the home leg against Brondby?

Connollys11
03-01-2019, 05:22 PM

Spot on bud 👏

we are hibs
03-01-2019, 05:29 PM
Lennon should've had an easier job than Stubbs at recruiting good players yet has struggled more.

The 90+2
03-01-2019, 05:33 PM
Lennon should've had an easier job than Stubbs at recruiting good players yet has struggled more.

Yep, the attraction of coming in on good money when we returned to the top flight should have played a massive factor in bringing in players who came in when we had just been relegated.

pacoluna
03-01-2019, 05:35 PM
He needed to completely rebuild in his first window. He didn’t need to completely rebuild when he signed SJM, Henderson, McGregor, Stokes, Boyle or Bartley, 4 of which have been terrific servants for Hibs and the other two who played such pivotal parts in the greatest day in every Hibs fans life but didn’t serve us for nearly as long.

He works well with his own players not so much with players recruited by previous, that's the impression I get given his spells with Rotherham and st mirren and ofcourse Hibs where he had to rebuild. The opposite from Lennon imo who has taking certain players who he inherited to the next level.

The 90+2
03-01-2019, 06:05 PM
He works well with his own players not so much with players recruited by previous, that's the impression I get given his spells with Rotherham and st mirren and ofcourse Hibs where he had to rebuild. The opposite from Lennon imo who has taking certain players who he inherited to the next level.

Craig, Cummings and Scott Robertson as well as obviously Lewis and Hanlon all decent or better than decent inherited by Stubbs.

jacomo
03-01-2019, 07:37 PM

You’re embarrassing yourself here.

Hi Heid Yin
03-01-2019, 07:50 PM

My football friends down south laughed when they heard we got beaten by a club from a town with a population of 5,000 people.

So, yes, losing to them, for me, was an embarrassment.

jacomo
03-01-2019, 07:59 PM
My football friends down south laughed when they heard we got beaten by a club from a town with a population of 5,000 people.

So, yes, losing to them, for me, was an embarrassment.

You didn’t explain any context to them no?

Ah well.

MWHIBBIES
03-01-2019, 08:26 PM

So, yes, losing to them, for me, was an embarrassment.We were playing against 5000 people? No wonder we lost.

Size of the town isn't really relevant. They scored off of 2 silly mistakes. If we played that game again 10 times we'd win them all. Its football. Nothing embarrassing. Posting utter pish about it is the embarrassing part.

Connollys11
03-01-2019, 08:55 PM

How's he embarrassing himself it's the truth mate. Everyone was calling for his head after the play off second leg 😂

Connollys11
03-01-2019, 08:56 PM
We were playing against 5000 people? No wonder we lost.

Size of the town isn't really relevant. They scored off of 2 silly mistakes. If we played that game again 10 times we'd win them all. Its football. Nothing embarrassing. Posting utter pish about it is the embarrassing part.

That cup final against ross county is up there with livi in in 2004 for me like what an embarrassing day that was.

bigwheel
03-01-2019, 08:58 PM
How's he embarrassing himself it's the truth mate. Everyone was calling for his head after the play off second leg [emoji23]

No. He was embarrassing himself with those comment..rightly called out ...He was calling out the comment about the loss to Ross County - that was disappointing not embarrassing ...

The loss to Falkirk was devastating..but the context was one of small margins, some bad decisions and a bad twist of luck - those things happen

Stubbs can righty be challenged for finishing third that season - but think it was the same amount of points that won is the league the next season ...

Hiber-nation
03-01-2019, 08:59 PM
That cup final against ross county is up there with livi in in 2004 for me like what an embarrassing day that was.

For you. But no other Hibs supporter.

bigwheel
03-01-2019, 09:01 PM

I was more gutted about the Livi final than the Hearts one - but to say it’s embarrassing doesn’t stand up to any scrutiny...the truth is we had a young inexperienced team - they had a better squad, with some good SPL level players - they had a better and more experienced side than us at the time. And it showed ...It’s not about who’s the biggest club ....

Connollys11
03-01-2019, 09:04 PM
No. He was embarrassing himself with those comment..rightly called out ...He was calling out the comment about the loss to Ross County - that was disappointing not embarrassing ...

The loss to Falkirk was devastating..but the context was one of small margins, some bad decisions and a bad twist of luck - those things happen

Stubbs can righty be challenged for finishing third that season - but think it was the same amount of points that won is the league the next season ...

Dissappointing to loose a major final to a pub team? You must be a chilled out fellow. It took us 3 season's to get out of a pub league. We should've been promoted in the first season we were down. Maybe I think to highly of my club sometimes but expect my club to pump pub teams like ross county in major finals. If we hadn't beat the huns in the Scottish cup Stubbs would've got the butchers treatment.

Connollys11
03-01-2019, 09:08 PM
I was more gutted about the Livi final than the Hearts one - but to say it’s embarrassing doesn’t stand up to any scrutiny...the truth is we had a young inexperienced team - they had a better squad, with some good SPL level players - they had a better and more experienced side than us at the time. And it showed ...It’s not about who’s the biggest club ....

Hahaha naeway like. That final in 2012 was the worse day of my life like nothing compares to it. Who did they have in their squad that would replace anyone in ours? Absolutely no one. That final was embarrassing. We had most of the stadium much like the livi game and we got beat by that pish totally unacceptable in my books like but we all have different opinions a suppose mate ae.

Tornadoes70
03-01-2019, 09:08 PM
Dissappointing to loose a major final to a pub team? You must be a chilled out fellow. It took us 3 season's to get out of a pub league. We should've been promoted in the first season we were down. Maybe I think to highly of my club sometimes but expect my club to pump pub teams like ross county in major finals. If we hadn't beat the huns in the Scottish cup Stubbs would've got the butchers treatment.

Times your pain by at least 100 for the yams who lost out to st mirren in the league cup final. How many years in a row is it now?

56 or 57?

:greengrin

bigwheel
03-01-2019, 09:09 PM

I find terms like “pub team” really enhances the points you make .....you’ve convinced me

Connollys11
03-01-2019, 09:09 PM
Times your pain by at least 100 for the yams who lost out to st mirren in the league cup final. How many years in a row is it now?

56 or 57?

:greengrin
Hahaha who cares about that lot mate it's all about the hibees

Connollys11
03-01-2019, 09:10 PM
I find terms like “pub team” really enhances the points you make .....you’ve convinced me

Glad a could help yi pal

bigwheel
03-01-2019, 09:11 PM
Hahaha naeway like. That final in 2012 was the worse day of my life like nothing compares to it. Who did they have in their squad that would replace anyone in ours? Absolutely no one. That final was embarrassing. We had most of the stadium much like the livi game and we got beat by that pish totally unacceptable in my books like but we all have different opinions a suppose mate ae.

Have a look at the teams and remind yourself. Unfortunately, having more fans doesn’t win you the cup ...

Connollys11
03-01-2019, 09:12 PM
Have a look at the teams and remind yourself. Unfortunately, having more fans doesn’t win you the cup ...

Right we get it you dinni mind loosing cup finals to diddy teams fair play buddy

Tornadoes70
03-01-2019, 09:16 PM
Hahaha who cares about that lot mate it's all about the hibees

Seeing as they're our capital rivals who reveled in our many years of barren Scottish Cup win before 2016's greatest cup win in history its always good to throw that horrendous statistic at them.

56 or 57 years since they won the league cup, absolutely shocking for a club that sought to conquer the European Cup. :greengrin

bigwheel
03-01-2019, 09:17 PM
Right we get it you dinni mind loosing cup finals to diddy teams fair play buddy

and we get you are all about the facts and analysis [emoji106]✊️

Connollys11
03-01-2019, 09:20 PM
Seeing as they're our capital rivals who reveled in our many years of barren Scottish Cup win before 2016's greatest cup win in history its always good to throw that horrendous statistic at them.

56 or 57 years since they won the league cup, absolutely shocking for a club that sought to conquer the European Cup. :greengrin

Aye that's it bro a totally agree

Connollys11
03-01-2019, 09:21 PM
and we get you are all about the facts and analysis [emoji106]✊️

The facts are hibs should be beating ross county in cup finals pal so aye a really am all about the facts to be fair like

Hi Heid Yin
03-01-2019, 09:23 PM

:agree::agree: Yes, The Livingston league cup final still angers me.

MWHIBBIES
03-01-2019, 09:25 PM

Jackson Irvine would walk into our team. He was very good that day, doing well in England as well.

Connollys11
03-01-2019, 09:26 PM
:agree::agree: Yes, The Livingston league cup final still angers me.

A was only 12 at the time and it still boils ma blood like haha probably cause it was ma first cup final but none the less to put out who we put out and Chuck it away to that pish in the final was brutal like. We made David fernandez look like raul

Connollys11
03-01-2019, 09:26 PM
Jackson Irvine would walk into our team. He was very good that day, doing well in England as well.

He's pish

MWHIBBIES
03-01-2019, 09:29 PM
He's pish:faf:

Time for bed mate.

Connollys11
03-01-2019, 09:31 PM
:faf:

Time for bed mate.

😂😂 where is he even playing now? Am sorry but he gets nowhere near our last midfield like he was a big horse.

MWHIBBIES
03-01-2019, 09:33 PM
😂😂 where is he even playing now? Am sorry but he gets nowhere near our last midfield like he was a big horse.Hull City after a 2 million pound move from Burton. He's a very good player.

Connollys11
03-01-2019, 09:36 PM
Hull City after a 2 million pound move from Burton. He's a very good player.

How does that make him a very good player 😂 he was rank up here like. Right enough he plays in the second best league in the world now ae my apologies haha

The 90+2
03-01-2019, 09:37 PM
The facts are hibs should be beating ross county in cup finals pal so aye a really am all about the facts to be fair like

Nobody liked it but in the wider of picture of embarrassing occasions then for me it struggles to make the top 5.
Ayr Utd Semi
Livingston Final
Scottish Cup Semi final
Scottish Cup Final
Relegation against Hamilton 2 up
Then Ross County perhaps they did have a good season in the top flight also.

I’m not sure what it’s got to do with the signings thread but interestingly if it’s used as a stick to beat Stubbs with in terms of embarrassments I’m not sure if I would be asking Neil Lennon his thoughts of Lowe league Ross County in the Scottish Cup Semi 👍

Hi Heid Yin
03-01-2019, 09:38 PM

How could you possibly know, bigwheel, whether or not I was embarrassed and who are you to then accuse me of embarrassing myself?

The 90+2
03-01-2019, 09:39 PM

As would Liam Boyce and Alex Shaulk at the time!

Connollys11
03-01-2019, 09:39 PM
Nobody liked it but in the wider of picture of embarrassing occasions then for me it struggles to make the top 5.
Ayr Utd Semi
Livingston Final
Scottish Cup Semi final
Scottish Cup Final

I’m not sure what it’s got to do with the signings thread but interestingly if it’s used as a stick to beat Stubbs with in terms of embarrassments I’m not sure if I would be asking Neil Lennon his thoughts of Lowe league Ross County in the Scottish Cup Semi 👍

Agree with all of the above mate 👍! Aye am sure he went through his Celtic team that day aswell 😂 he goes missing for weeks if we draw 2 games on the bounce! Imagine if he had been in charge on that day sir the melt down would've been something else like 😂

Connollys11
03-01-2019, 09:40 PM
As would Liam Boyce and Alex Shaulk at the time!

Over stokes and Cummings sorry a canny agree with this lads. A would take Cummings back the morra like

Tornadoes70
03-01-2019, 09:43 PM
Ayr Utd Semi
Livingston Final
Scottish Cup Semi final
Scottish Cup Final

I’m not sure what it’s got to do with the signings thread but interestingly if it’s used as a stick to beat Stubbs with in terms of embarrassments I’m not sure if I would be asking Neil Lennon his thoughts of Lowe league Ross County in the Scottish Cup Semi ��

Where's all this dredging up from the past come from?

The successes have more than made up for the failures.

The greatest cup win of all time in 2016 more than made up for any of what you describe.

We've won the League Cup three times in the last 50 years or so whereas the yams have had to wait 56/57 years and counting.

Who's behind this latest attempt to aggravate 'negativity' on here?

Laughable.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

bigwheel
03-01-2019, 09:44 PM
All due respect, big wheel, but you are coming across as just a little bit arrogant.

How could you possibly know whether or not I was embarrassed and who are you to then to tell all and sundry on Hibs. Net that I was not embarrassed?

Ok LL I think you are misinterpreting my points ..that said I Don’t want to get into any personal point scoring. So if that’s coming across , I take it back ...

Let me just say that I didn’t agree with your points around the Ross County result - to me (not you) it was disappointing not embarrassing...

MWHIBBIES
03-01-2019, 09:46 PM
How does that make him a very good player 😂 he was rank up here like. Right enough he plays in the second best league in the world now ae my apologies haha

He wasn't rank at all. If he was rank he wouldn't have got MOTM in the cup final against us and then got a move down to England. You're talking absolute nonsense.

The 90+2
03-01-2019, 09:52 PM
Over stokes and Cummings sorry a canny agree with this lads. A would take Cummings back the morra like

Fair enough at the time I would have though. Certainly as a replacement for Chris Dagnall. I would have the goalie too. I get the point splayed for player we should have won, which we should have unlike the Livi final where we weren’t at the races. I seriously didn’t come away from that game embarrassed though it was the usual hurt especially with the family there, ended up at the Scottish on my own so they aren’t getting to come again 😂

bigwheel
03-01-2019, 09:53 PM
He wasn't rank at all. If he was rank he wouldn't have got MOTM in the cup final against us and then got a move down to England. You're talking absolute nonsense.

He’s a top player .... would walk into our (and many others) first 11

The 90+2
03-01-2019, 09:54 PM
Where's all this dredging up from the past come from?

The successes have more than made up for the failures.

The greatest cup win of all time in 2016 more than made up for any of what you describe.

We've won the League Cup three times in the last 50 years or so whereas the yams have had to wait 56/57 years and counting.

Who's behind this latest attempt to aggravate 'negativity' on here?

Laughable.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

In terms of embarrassment of the above matches, Ross County Final wasn’t an embarrassment. I also don’t believe Stubbs would have been sacked should we had lost to the huns, I would hope the majority could see what we where building considering where we came from.

The 90+2
03-01-2019, 09:57 PM
He’s a top player .... would walk into our (and many others) first 11

He was quite pish at Killie which is fair enough to base an opinion on but sure he got played out of position! Ross County he had an outstanding season in arguably the best season in their history.

Hi Heid Yin
03-01-2019, 09:57 PM
Ok LL I think you are misinterpreting my points ..that said I Don’t want to get into any personal point scoring. So if that’s coming across , I take it back ...

Let me just say that I didn’t agree with your points around the Ross County result - to me (not you) it was disappointing not embarrassing...

Fair play, but I can honestly say that when some close friends from further afield laughed at my Capital city club, Hibernian, losing to a team from Dingwall (population 5,400) I actually did feel embarrassed, as well as bitterly disappointed!

bigwheel
03-01-2019, 10:02 PM
Fair play, but I can honestly say that when some close friends from further afield laughed at my Capital city club, Hibernian, losing to a team from Dingwall (population 5,400) I actually did feel embarrassed, as well as bitterly disappointed!

I can get that tbh...but it lacks footballing context from them doesn’t it ...Football is about 11 v 11 isn’t it. Not City v TownThey were in a higher league than us ...doing well in their league at the time ....we dominated them and couldn’t get the winner..and were sucker punched at the end - it happens.

The character we showed up in Inverness was as good a reaction from a Hibs side I had ever seen - made me proud...as good , in many ways, as our reaction to the Falkirk defeat in the play offs.

Tornadoes70
03-01-2019, 10:03 PM
In terms of embarrassment of the above matches, Ross County Final wasn’t an embarrassment. I also don’t believe Stubbs would have been sacked should we had lost to the huns, I would hope the majority could see what we where building considering where we came from.

Who gives one now though?

Stubbsie's a legend now along with the rest of the 2016 greatest cup win in history squad, that's all that matters.

We've had some failures like every other club also some spectacular successes.

However, each to their own if they wish to continue wallowing in past defeats, however, the 56/57 in a row League Cup continued run of failure takes some beating :greengrin

Mon the Cabbage!!!

bigwheel
03-01-2019, 10:04 PM
He was quite pish at Killie which is fair enough to base an opinion on but sure he got played out of position! Ross County he had an outstanding season in arguably the best season in their history.

Yep. He was still young at Killie wasn’t he - Finding his role...he looks quality now ...athletic, box to box, goal scoring midfielder. Could do with one of them [emoji2][emoji106]

The 90+2
03-01-2019, 10:05 PM
Who gives one now though?

Stubbsie's a legend now along with the rest of the 2016 greatest cup in history squad, that's all that matters.

We've had some failures like every other club also some spectacular successes.

However, each to their own if they wish to continue wallowing in past defeats, however, the 56/57 in a row League Cup continued run of failure takes some beating :greengrin

Mon the Cabbage!!!

👍

The 90+2
03-01-2019, 10:06 PM
Yep. He was still young at Killie wasn’t he - Finding his role...he looks quality now ...athletic, box to box, goal scoring midfielder. Could do with one of them [emoji2][emoji106]

Too right!

snedzuk
03-01-2019, 10:10 PM

I didnt find losing that final embarrassing but since being admitted to the premier division in 12/13 we have finished lower that the mighty ross county every year bar last year - thats embarrassing for a club this size.

Hi Heid Yin
03-01-2019, 10:24 PM
I can get that tbh...but it lacks footballing context from them doesn’t it ...Football is about 11 v 11 isn’t it. Not City v TownThey were in a higher league than us ...doing well in their league at the time ....we dominated them and couldn’t get the winner..and were sucker punched at the end - it happens.

The character we showed up in Inverness was as good a reaction from a Hibs side I had ever seen - made me proud...as good , in many ways, as our reaction to the Falkirk defeat in the play offs.

I agree that it did lack context for them...and yes, we did indeed dominate them...which made losing all the harder to take.

The Inverness result, I agree too, was unbelievable and a wonderful reaction from our boys.

James Stephen
03-01-2019, 10:43 PM
I agree that it did lack context for them...and yes, we did indeed dominate them...which made losing all the harder to take.

The Inverness result, I agree too, was unbelievable and a wonderful reaction from our boys.

Probably the biggest performance and result outside the final in decades.

Also, a very un Hibs like result.

Would we have won it of we had won that cup final? I have my doubts...

Hi Heid Yin
04-01-2019, 12:58 AM

:agree: Hard to argue with that

pacoluna
04-01-2019, 01:54 AM

Has the asteris home and away game or the brondby away game slipped peoples mind?

bigwheel
04-01-2019, 05:28 AM
Has the asteris home and away game or the brondby away game slipped peoples mind?

Those were big performances for sure, but both at start of season...neither compare with a game three days after a confidence sapping 90th minute cup final defeat...at a ground we rarely get a win at...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pacoluna
04-01-2019, 11:36 AM
Those were big performances for sure, but both at start of season...neither compare with a game three days after a confidence sapping 90th minute cup final defeat...at a ground we rarely get a win at...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dearie me!

bigwheel
04-01-2019, 11:39 AM
Dearie me!

well, now that you have written that..I agree with your point :aok:

Titch
04-01-2019, 11:43 AM
I love stubbly for winning THE cup and only remember the good things 🤪🤪🤪
However IMHO if he hadn’t won the cup he wouldn’t have had to leave he would have been sacked

The 90+2
04-01-2019, 11:50 AM

We lost to Brondby away?

Smartie
04-01-2019, 11:50 AM
The signing of Efe Ambrose is right up there with any of Stubbs' signings.

Not many Hibs managers in our history would have made that one possible.

calumhibee1
04-01-2019, 11:54 AM
The signing of Efe Ambrose is right up there with any of Stubbs' signings.

Not many Hibs managers in our history would have made that one possible.

Agree. Only thing that works against it is that we ended up not getting a fee. But in terms of pure ability he’s right up there with the best of them.

The 90+2
04-01-2019, 11:54 AM
Agree. Only thing that works against it is that we ended up not getting a fee. But in terms of pure ability he’s right up there with the best of them.

Only McGinn has been a better signing long term in all honestly.

calumhibee1
04-01-2019, 12:25 PM
Only McGinn has been a better signing long term in all honestly.

True :aok:

pacoluna
04-01-2019, 05:30 PM
well, now that you have written that..I agree with your point :aok:

You cannot seriously suggest beating ICT away over 90 minutes is a bigger achievement than beating brondby over 90 and beating asteris at home after being 2-0 down then getting the draw away to progress? It's not even debatable regardless of the time of season or if we had just got beat from the giants of Ross county, I'll agree it was a huge game for Stubbs if we had got beat by Inverness good chance he would have been walking on a very tight rope.

pacoluna
04-01-2019, 05:36 PM
We lost to Brondby away?

We drew with ICT in the first leg at ER if you want to be pedantic.

bigwheel
04-01-2019, 06:28 PM
You cannot seriously suggest beating ICT away over 90 minutes is a bigger achievement than beating brondby over 90 and beating asteris at home after being 2-0 down then getting the draw away to progress? It's not even debatable regardless of the time of season or if we had just got beat from the giants of Ross county, I'll agree it was a huge game for Stubbs if we had got beat by Inverness good chance he would have been walking on a very tight rope.

Stubbs was not at risk at all in that game ...regardless of result

Depends how you define “bigger achievement “...I’d contest that there is absolutely no debate that in our history the ICT win was a much bigger result than both..tbh the Brondy performance was excellent, but we still exited the competition..so it doesn’t compare.

I was at both the Greek games - certainly was a great turnaround ...and I can get your point on that one.

But for me , I couldn’t have expected less from Hibs the day of the ICT game - it was a time when the “hibsed it” thing was still in the air ..For me personally, I was more proud of the performance that night driving home, than I was after the great result in Greece - although that was indeed magic ...and would also say it was a defining moment in our clubs history much more than those two you list - of that I have no doubt ...

SideBurns
04-01-2019, 06:38 PM
We lost to Brondby away?

We beat Brondby 1-0 in Copenhagen, but lost the overall tie on pens (having been robbed by a shocking offside decision against Cummings in the first leg).

The 90+2
05-01-2019, 12:11 PM
We drew with ICT in the first leg at ER if you want to be pedantic.

We got through the tie away in Inverness though, correct. If you consider failure to qualify ahead of qualifying then going on to win the competition bash on.

The 90+2
05-01-2019, 12:12 PM
We beat Brondby 1-0 in Copenhagen, but lost the overall tie on pens (having been robbed by a shocking offside decision against Cummings in the first leg).

Yeah so we lost the tie in Brondby? I’m not sure how in any way amit can be considered a better result than winning a tie?

berwickhibee
05-01-2019, 08:04 PM
Yeah so we lost the tie in Brondby? I’m not sure how in any way amit can be considered a better result than winning a tie?

I think its clear to all winning in brondby is a bigger achievement than winning in inverness. Different level.

SideBurns
05-01-2019, 08:13 PM

You said we lost to Brondby away. We didn't, we won and it was a superb display. John McGinn's missed penalty in the shoot-out ultimately lost us the tie.

I'm not saying Lennon was a better manager than Stubbs, or vice versa for that matter; I can't make my mind up about that, but there's no point twisting the facts to suit your own opinion.