PDA

View Full Version : Marvin Bartley

HibsGW
01-01-2019, 08:53 PM
Making my first post here. What’s happening with Marvin Bartley? After the derby I was left again thinking why wasn’t he playing? The issue with all or our midfielders recently has been that we don’t know if they’ll contribute anything but one thing with Marv is that you know when he plays he’ll make tackles, make important fouls and generally make it difficult to break through our midfield. With that in mind and the lack of quality midfielders that we have at the club, I think it’s harsh that he isn’t getting his game every week. Thoughts?

Since90+2
01-01-2019, 08:54 PM
Making my first post here. What’s happening with Marvin Bartley? After the derby I was left again thinking why wasn’t he playing? The issue with all or our midfielders recently has been that we don’t know if they’ll contribute anything but one thing with Marv is that you know when he plays he’ll make tackles, make important fouls and generally make it difficult to break through our midfield. With that in mind and the lack of quality midfielders that we have at the club, I think it’s harsh that he isn’t getting his game every week. Thoughts?

He's been injured.

Sir David Gray
01-01-2019, 08:57 PM
He's been injured for about the past month.

HibsGW
01-01-2019, 08:58 PM
He's been injured.

Ah that would explain it, assuming he’s back to fitness now as he was on the bench against Hearts but I’d like to see him given a run in the team as I feel he’d give us at least as good as anything we’ve got so far from any of Milligan, Hyndman, Slivka, Mallan or Horgan playing in the middle.

Hermit Crab
01-01-2019, 09:04 PM
Ah that would explain it, assuming he’s back to fitness now as he was on the bench against Hearts but I’d like to see him given a run in the team as I feel he’d give us at least as good as anything we’ve got so far from any of Milligan, Hyndman, Slivka, Mallan or Horgan playing in the middle.

Milligan is away with Australia for the next month or so and Hyndman, is away back to Bournemouth after his loan deal finish today.

HibsGW
01-01-2019, 09:09 PM
Milligan is away with Australia for the next month or so and Hyndman, is away back to Bournemouth after his loan deal finish today.
Yes, because of that I’d think its fairly likely we’ll see him playing in the next few games unless we get some midfielders in fairly early doors

Hermit Crab
01-01-2019, 10:02 PM
Yes, because of that I’d think its fairly likely we’ll see him playing in the next few games unless we get some midfielders in fairly early doors

Bartley is not suited for every game we play.

01-01-2019, 10:05 PM
He’s essentially not good enough although probably preferable to most of our current midfield.

Albanian Hibs
01-01-2019, 10:07 PM

Surely a Hibs fan would know he has been injured for the past month or so?

Hermit Crab
01-01-2019, 10:09 PM
He’s essentially not good enough although probably preferable to most of our current midfield.

A bit harsh mate, I believe that had he been playing in the derby then Haring or Djoum would not have have had the freedom they did to run the show for Hearts.

HibsGW
01-01-2019, 10:23 PM
Surely a Hibs fan would know he has been injured for the past month or so?

Haha unreal mate, would be incredible to think a guy who hasn’t been a regular starter for Hibs for over a year might potentially just not be starting every week wouldn’t it 👍🏻

HibsGW
01-01-2019, 10:25 PM

This is pretty much exactly the way I see it just now too, I feel like he’d contribute more than any of the other options just now would but without doubt we need a few strong signings this window for the midfield positions, players with an obvious strength and not players that let games bypass them, easier said than done though

Sergey
01-01-2019, 10:32 PM
He came from the Ithsmian (Pub) League and is not benefiting personally of outstanding ability...but he's currently crocked.

Far worse players than Marvin on the treatment table, though!

Brooster
01-01-2019, 10:32 PM
Bartley is good at man marking and shores up the midfield when we want to see games out but brings little creativity to the team. We don't win many games when he starts. I prefer Milligan in the CDM role tbh, I feel he uses the ball better.

HibsGW
01-01-2019, 10:37 PM
Bartley is good at man marking and shores up the midfield when we want to see games out but brings little creativity to the team. We don't win many games when he starts. I prefer Milligan in the CDM role tbh, I feel he uses the ball better.

I know what people mean when they say this in that he isn’t the most technically gifted player and won’t be cutting teams open with forward passes but I wonder if having Bartley playing the holding role would allow us to shift Mallan further forward. I don’t think Mallan is a centre mid and the best of his form at St Mirren came playing in an attacking midfield role, I do agree that Milligan probably uses the ball better but he doesn’t have nearly the same physical presence that Marv brings us as well so I suppose you need to weigh up what’s more important for the opposition we’re up against.

BILLYHIBS
01-01-2019, 10:55 PM

I rate Marvin Bartley

In my eyes he has never let HIBS down

The only thing that stopped him starting versus the yams was his lack of game time and match fitness due to coming back from injury

I don’t understand what you mean by “important fouls ? “

Hibs players never go out to intentionally foul an opponent :greengrin

He will make tackles sometimes mistimed due to the above and sometimes professional out of necessity but he can always be relied upon to get stuck in unlike our current/ last midfield

We have missed him badly and he has missed a glorious chance to establish himself as our defensive mid when he has been out injured over the last few weeks

I often wonder if he was one of the players called out by Lenny as being unrobust and all too often crying off injured

Edit

I rate him above Kamara whom I have never noticed playing against us and is struggling to get a game for a team bottom of the league

Captain Trips
01-01-2019, 11:02 PM
I rate Marvin Bartley

The only thing that stopped him starting versus the yams was his lack of game time and match fitness due to coming back from injury

He will make tackles sometimes mistimed due to the above and sometimes professional out of necessity but he can always be relied upon to get stuck in unlike our current/ last midfield

We have missed him badly and he has missed a glorious chance to establish himself as our defensive mid when he has been out injured over the last few weeks

I often wonder if he was one of the players called out by Lenny as being unrobust and all too often crying off injured

Edit

I rate him above Kamara whom I have never noticed playing against us and is struggling to get a game for a team bottom of the league

Agreed

HibsGW
01-01-2019, 11:25 PM
I rate Marvin Bartley

Edit

Totally agree with all of this, I’ve always been a fan of him and think he’s one of the guys who really helps set the tone of the team when he plays in a similar way to David Gray, players who impose themselves and take responsibility.

Professional fouls was what I meant really, as in he’ll put himself in for those challenges that the likes of Slivka probably wouldn’t, sometimes he’ll win them and sometimes he won’t but either way I much prefer having someone who will go for it like this than someone who shys away and lets our defence be attacked without a battle.

I’ve wondered the same before, just a gut feeling but I don’t feel like Lennon is too keen on him, whether its to do with injuries or just not liking his slight technical limitations i’m not too sure

Zazu62
01-01-2019, 11:35 PM
What struck me about the last derby we had Gray and Bartley on the bench, now would hearts ever have say Berra and Souttar for example sitting on the bench at a derby? No chance.

BILLYHIBS
01-01-2019, 11:43 PM
Totally agree with all of this, I’ve always been a fan of him and think he’s one of the guys who really helps set the tone of the team when he plays in a similar way to David Gray, players who impose themselves and take responsibility.

Professional fouls was what I meant really, as in he’ll put himself in for those challenges that the likes of Slivka probably wouldn’t, sometimes he’ll win them and sometimes he won’t but either way I much prefer having someone who will go for it like this than someone who shys away and lets our defence be attacked without a battle.

I’ve wondered the same before, just a gut feeling but I don’t feel like Lennon is too keen on him, whether its to do with injuries or just not liking his slight technical limitations i’m not too sure

Agree

I knew you meant professional fouls

I have watched Big Marv closely and he is technically better at close control than most people give him credit for

He was made Captain in the last Derby at Tinycastle and his undoing was a soft booking early doors that limited his physical approach to the game but he was still very effective

The best example I can give of Big Marvs effectiveness was Molde away after losing SJM we were out of our depth but big Marv was immense he bossed their midfield and you could see they were intimidated by him when he went off the whole game changed

I sometimes think you are correct that Lenny does not rate or appreciate the qualities Big Marv brings to the side (strange for an ex midfielder ) and Big Marv is perhaps making himself unavailable

Might be wrong! :confused:

truehibernian
01-01-2019, 11:55 PM

I think Marv is good for the dressing room and camaradarie Brooster but offers nothing on the pitch - Milligan offers even less. I would move on both in the summer, and if we could move Milligan on now, bravo - he's awful.

MagicSwirlingShip
02-01-2019, 01:26 AM
What struck me about the last derby we had Gray and Bartley on the bench, now would hearts ever have say Berra and Souttar for example sitting on the bench at a derby? No chance.

This. If they are fit enough to come on and try to make an impact for the closing stages of the match, get them out there to make an impact at the start.
Derby’s are often decided by who gets the first goal, I would always try and get our best 11 out for the first whistle.

eastmainsmsh
02-01-2019, 01:58 AM
Did Marv play for Burnley in the premier league

Allant1981
02-01-2019, 07:38 AM
Did Marv play for Burnley in the premier league

Championship I'm sure, or whatever it was called then

blackpoolhibs
02-01-2019, 07:45 AM
I'm gutted he was injured for the derby, as i'm 100% sure he'd have performed better than every other midfielder we currently employ at the club.

That is not to say i'd want him in the side every week.

Carheenlea
02-01-2019, 08:07 AM
I think he’s a better footballer than he’s given credit for and is underrated by many. His defensive attributes obviously his strongest asset, but is tidy with the ball keeping it simple and often finding himself quite far up the park. Have shouted a few times at him to have a pop but never takes the option to do so which must be a confidence thing. I like him in the team.

Allant1981
02-01-2019, 08:10 AM
He is a good defensive midfield, for someone to suggest he adds nothing on the park is nonsense

we are hibs
02-01-2019, 09:00 AM
Should be starting. At least teams wouldn't be waltzing through our midfield at will if he was in there.

worcesterhibby
02-01-2019, 09:08 AM
Marvin adds plenty on the park, but it's not the flashy stuff, so most of it is ignored. We have been missing three essential things since October..

Steel in the midfield and the ability to win enough second balls
Creativity from the midfield
intelligent runs and decent finishing from our forwards

Marvin would help sort the first of the above.
Allan would help sort the second
Cummings would help sort the third

JimBHibees
02-01-2019, 01:28 PM
I'm gutted he was injured for the derby, as i'm 100% sure he'd have performed better than every other midfielder we currently employ at the club.

That is not to say i'd want him in the side every week.

Totally agree on both counts, he was on the bench though and should have come on to strengthen the midfield.

MWHIBBIES
02-01-2019, 03:36 PM
A bit harsh mate, I believe that had he been playing in the derby then Haring or Djoum would not have have had the freedom they did to run the show for Hearts.

They didn't run anything. Haring went off and Djoum never had a kick 2nd half.

CapitalGreen
02-01-2019, 03:50 PM
They didn't run anything. Haring went off and Djoum never had a kick 2nd half.

Haring dominated the midfield before picking up an injury. Him having to go of played a big part in us getting into the game for the last 20 mins.

MWHIBBIES
02-01-2019, 04:24 PM
Haring dominated the midfield before picking up an injury. Him having to go of played a big part in us getting into the game for the last 20 mins.

He robbed it off Mallan a couple times and fell on his arse after getting turned by Slivka. He really didn't dominate anything. Not one of their midfield touched it 2nd half.

LaMotta
04-01-2019, 12:37 AM
I think Marv is good for the dressing room and camaradarie Brooster but offers nothing on the pitch - Milligan offers even less. I would move on both in the summer, and if we could move Milligan on now, bravo - he's awful.

You can't have watched many Hibs games in recent years if you think Bartley offers nothing on the pitch. Astonishing statement to make.

BILLYHIBS
04-01-2019, 07:25 AM
You can't have watched many Hibs games in recent years if you think Bartley offers nothing on the pitch. Astonishing statement to make.

Agree! Marvin Bartley is the master of his position :greengrin

cabbageandribs1875
04-01-2019, 08:02 AM
contract up in may, give the man a 2 year extension this month :agree: along with SDG who i think should just get an offer of 1 year extension along with Darren

cabbageandribs1875
04-01-2019, 08:06 AM

would cost quite a few £££ to move him on with 18 months left on his contract

Heisenberg
04-01-2019, 08:10 AM
would cost quite a few £££ to move him on with 18 months left on his contract

The fact that he’s clearly prioritised playing for his country over Hibs doesn’t sit well with me. I’m sure some team in Australia would have him.

B.H.F.C
04-01-2019, 08:11 AM
contract up in may, give the man a 2 year extension this month :agree: along with SDG who i think should just get an offer of 1 year extension along with Darren

A two year deal for someone at his age, who hasn’t started much over the last year, is pretty unlikely.

Hibernian Verse
04-01-2019, 08:13 AM

This may be unpopular but I wouldn't be giving Bartley or McGregor an extension. We're meant to be a progressive football club not a charity. Neither are good enough for our ambitions. They were once upon a time, but not now.

cabbageandribs1875
04-01-2019, 08:15 AM
The fact that he’s clearly prioritised playing for his country over Hibs doesn’t sit well with me. I’m sure some team in Australia would have him.

but would they be willing to pay us a transfer fee for him, or would it be a 'mutual' :dunno:

A two year deal for someone at his age, who hasn’t started much over the last year, is pretty unlikely.

you're probably right i was just dreaming a bit, surely worth at least another year though , i don't think NL realises just how much a warrior Marv is :)

cabbageandribs1875
04-01-2019, 08:17 AM
This may be unpopular but I wouldn't be giving Bartley or McGregor an extension. We're meant to be a progressive football club not a charity. Neither are good enough for our ambitions. They were once upon a time, but not now.

fair points, i wonder to what extent Darren's 'niggling' injury is, or if he takes injections for any pain

MacGruber
04-01-2019, 08:32 AM

All about opinions and yes, unpopular with me lol
Would give both extended contracts. Would also have Bartley playing far more often. Big physical players, big characters, loads to offer still.

If Marv, Gray and Boyle started the last derby m opinion is we wouldnt have lost. Marv would have been a big part in that. Never lost to them with big marv on the pitch. Lost one game at Tynie he started but notably they never scored their winner until he was off the park

Brooster
04-01-2019, 09:38 AM

I agree. McGregor struggles fitness wise these days, doesn't train a lot and can't play 2 games a week. Bartley hardly plays and we hardly ever win when he does. To progress we have to let both players go, we cannot dish out contracts on sentiment.

Centre Hawf
04-01-2019, 09:57 AM
Bartley stays for me. We’re in a time of squad upheaval and I want someone like him round who gets the club and who wants the best for it setting training standards and the dedication required for new folk coming in. Even an extra years contract, he’s such a useful option to have too from a playing perspective.

500miles
04-01-2019, 09:59 AM

We had more possession and territory before Haring went off. Haring dominated nothing, Whittaker moved into the middle and started making meaningful passes in the last 20, with SDG bombing up the right and actually able to play wing back.

Brooster
04-01-2019, 10:11 AM
Bartley stays for me. We’re in a time of squad upheaval and I want someone like him round who gets the club and who wants the best for it setting training standards and the dedication required for new folk coming in. Even an extra years contract, he’s such a useful option to have too from a playing perspective.

Fair point but I would be inclined not to spend circa £100k salary on a bit part player to set a good example in training.

wills
04-01-2019, 10:18 AM
Big Marv reminds me of a modern day Matty Jack, great physical presence in the middle of the park, in their faces all the time and someone the opposition hate playing against. You can also count on Marv to put in a shift on the park. I’d start him ahead of Milligan every day of the week. I hope they offer him a new contract, a very difficult player to replace

Greenbeard
04-01-2019, 10:19 AM
He robbed it off Mallan a couple times and fell on his arse after getting turned by Slivka. He really didn't dominate anything. Not one of their midfield touched it 2nd half.
Name that tune..........."It's easy. Like taking candy, from a baby."

Centre Hawf
04-01-2019, 10:38 AM
Fair point but I would be inclined not to spend circa £100k salary on a bit part player to set a good example in training.

I’d agree when put that way. But I think Marv when fit is still strong, deceptively quick, and always willing to do the dirty work. Even if he isn’t a starter there will always be situations he’s the best option off the bench.

blackpoolhibs
04-01-2019, 11:03 AM

Normally i'd agree with this, but i feel Bartley is a different animal here. I'm fed up with us selling our best players like we did last summer, and bringing in players nowhere near good enough to replace them.

What i'd love is that we got stronger as a team, and our fringe players were as good as the likes of Bartley. I know he's not the best footballer in the world, but he does have some qualities i wish all the others all had.

It is a squad game these days, and for me Bartley could and should be part of it i my opinion.

HibsGW
04-01-2019, 11:09 AM
Normally i'd agree with this, but i feel Bartley is a different animal here. I'm fed up with us selling our best players like we did last summer, and bringing in players nowhere near good enough to replace them.

What i'd love is that we got stronger as a team, and our fringe players were as good as the likes of Bartley. I know he's not the best footballer in the world, but he does have some qualities i wish all the others all had.

It is a squad game these days, and for me Bartley could and should be part of it i my opinion.

The way I see it right now is that if we’re happy to let Bartley go, we should be happy to let our whole midfield go because he contributes more than any of the rest do, albeit in a more defensive role. Never lets us down when he plays, more than can be said for the others