we are hibs
31-12-2018, 09:49 AM

cleanyman
31-12-2018, 09:50 AM
He has been Box Office

What a window we have now

Diclonius
31-12-2018, 09:56 AM
Luckily we are well covered at CB, but still a huge loss.

Hibernia&Alba
First of all a personal apology to Efe. When he signed, I was fearful that his error prone play would be very costly to us, and said so on here. I was wrong. Yes, his concentration can be a problem, but his natural talent is plainly evident. Efe had far more good days than bad as a Hibs player.

Thanks for your efforts, big man; you will be missed. It's a blow.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
Well that’s absolutely gutting. Massive window for us now.

Jim44
31-12-2018, 09:58 AM
Bit of major surgery required throughout the team in January. I hope Lennon gets the backing he needs to get us back on track.

Hibeesmad
31-12-2018, 09:58 AM
Just lost our best player

leithsansiro
31-12-2018, 09:59 AM
Was probably in the cards, but it’ll be a big loss. Time for a change of shape at the back or for others to step up? I’m not sure about a back three of Porty, Hanlon and Big Daz.

IGRIGI
31-12-2018, 10:00 AM
About as anti-pleasing as you can get.

JimBHibees
Couldn't read attachment what did it say.

SirDavidsNapper
Oh dear. The one shining light in this terrible run

Diclonius
31-12-2018, 10:01 AM
Was probably in the cards, but it’ll be a big loss. Time for a change of shape at the back or for others to step up? I’m not sure about a back three of Porty, Hanlon and Big Daz.

We can either stick with four at the back or not play three, because on our budget we'll have nothing left for a good CB anyway. It'll be another Daniel Boateng or Matt Doherty.

matty_f
Our player of the season so far imho, will be missed massively.

The one saving grace is that we're well covered in that area.

I hope we are making every effort to keep him.

JimBHibees
Luckily we are well covered at CB, but still a huge loss.

Not sure we are. All of Daz Paul and Ryan have been injured this season

we are hibs
Talk of Cardiff and Marseille looking to sign him. Can't blame him if true; he is getting on and the chance to play PL football or for such a big club with big wages as Marseille is too good to turn down. Not sure there is anything hibs could have done either.

staunchhibby
31-12-2018, 10:04 AM
Will be a huge loss.

calumhibee1
31-12-2018, 10:04 AM
Talk of Cardiff and Marseille looking to sign him. Can't blame him if true; he is getting on and the chance to play PL football or for such a big club with big wages as Marseille is too good to turn down. Not sure there is anything hibs could have done either.

Circumstances regarding his visa are probably the only reason he ended up here in the first place. A wonderful player who would thrive at a club like Marseille IMO.

Wonder if they would have anyone they’d fancy loaning us?!

Albanian Hibs
31-12-2018, 10:06 AM
Awful news, but expected. Our player of the year by miles.

The Modfather
31-12-2018, 10:07 AM
Our only creative outlet for the last few games, gutted if it’s true.

Long term, a back 4 with Hanlon on the left and Porteous on his natural side is still a good balanced pairing. Ambrose is a big loss though.

wookie70
31-12-2018, 10:11 AM
Lennon's best signing by a country mile and easily our best player this year. One of the few players in our team who has real class on the ball. The Efe moments he was famous for when he arrived have pretty much disappeared from his game. The Efe moments I'll remember is when he glides past players, effortlessly cuts out dangerous passes and nutmegs Jambos. What a massive loss for the team and probably harder to replace than SJM. What a miss Efe will be if he leaves.

The 90+2
31-12-2018, 10:11 AM
No money for him either! Tragic!

MacGruber
31-12-2018, 10:12 AM
***** fock :(

Johnny_Leith
31-12-2018, 10:12 AM
Circumstances regarding his visa are probably the only reason he ended up here in the first place. A wonderful player who would thrive at a club like Marseille IMO.

Wonder if they would have anyone they’d fancy loaning us?!

Visa circumstances and the fact Neil Lennon is our gaffer.

Big loss, best centre half hibs have had in a long time. Hope he goes on to do well for himself, gave everything here (bar going AWOL once haha)

Crab apple
31-12-2018, 10:13 AM
My player of the year. Efe is calmness personified.

whiskas
31-12-2018, 10:21 AM
Gutted he’s leaving but grateful to have had him as a Hibs player. What a mentor to have as a young centre half. Good luck to him wherever he ends up

Aldo
31-12-2018, 10:23 AM
Irreplaceable at this time of the season imho! Massive void to fill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hibsbollah
31-12-2018, 10:24 AM
Awwww FFS.

we are hibs
31-12-2018, 10:25 AM
Bamba and efe would be some watch every week as a pairing

Smartie
31-12-2018, 10:25 AM
I was probably Efe's loudest critic at times. The player who started the past 2 seasons was a shambolic mess.

The player who played from September onwards for us during those seasons has been possibly the best defender to play for us for 20 years.

An "Efe moment" has for me changed from a disastrous lapse of concentration to an exquisite moment of skill. Some of Efe's moments of late have rivalled some of the finest moments we ever got from Sauzee in a Hibs top.

He's going to be a massive loss and is probably the only thing we have at the moment that separates us from the very poor bottom 3 teams at the bottom of the league.

A positive I would say though is that a move to Hibs has undoubtedly been good for him. He's rebuilt his reputation and started to enjoy his football and really look the part again. Hopefully other similar players might notice his rehabilitation and consider us as being somewhere to do likewise, a bit like Jim Leighton did back in the day?

The_Horde
31-12-2018, 10:26 AM
Gonna need to sign a ball carrier to make up for this loss. That doesn't even take into account his aerial abilities and general reading of the game.

Huge loss.

B.H.F.C
31-12-2018, 10:30 AM
Gonna need to sign a ball carrier to make up for this loss. That doesn't even take into account his aerial abilities and general reading of the game.

Huge loss.

We need to sign a midfielder who will take the ball from the defence.

Ambrose is great at bringing the ball out but he’s been having to come way further up the pitch than he should because there is nobody to give it to most of the time.

He’s going to be a big loss.

DaveF
31-12-2018, 10:31 AM
Huge gap to fill if he goes in January. Not appreciated for his coolness and skill by many hibs fans for much of his time here - me being one of them - but his form lately has been absolutely brilliant.

Crab apple
31-12-2018, 10:34 AM
We need to sign a midfielder who will take the ball from the defence.

Ambrose is great at bringing the ball out but he’s been having to come way further up the pitch than he should because there is nobody to give it to most of the time.

He’s going to be a big loss.

All true. And Efe very rarely gets injured.

The_Horde
31-12-2018, 10:41 AM
Huge gap to fill if he goes in January. Not appreciated for his coolness and skill by many hibs fans for much of his time here - me being one of them - but his form lately has been absolutely brilliant.

The nutmeg the other night deserved to be on the winning side.

Centre Hawf
31-12-2018, 10:41 AM
Absolutely gutted if this happens. Absolute adore the big man. I was one of his biggest critics when he was at Celtic but when he came here he’s been a joy to watch and at times the only one worthy of the admission price, and he would walk back into the Celtic team in current form.

It’s been a pleasure Efe and I hope to see you doing your thing on the big stage. This window just got a whole lot bigger for us.

GlesgaeHibby
31-12-2018, 10:42 AM
All true. And Efe very rarely gets injured.

:agree: played every league game for us last season - and can't remember him being out at all this season either.

Gutted to see him go.

Brooster
31-12-2018, 10:43 AM
Why do Hibs continually do this? Get the fans back in numbers then sell our best players. It's time to speculate to accumulate or it's back to the bad old days. Will we get money for Efe?

Pete
31-12-2018, 10:45 AM
If he goes then we’ll lose a lot of the creativity in our team.

Huge window.

The 90+2
31-12-2018, 10:48 AM
Why do Hibs continually do this? Get the fans back in numbers then sell our best players. It's time to speculate to accumulate or it's back to the bad old days. Will we get money for Efe?

It says the release clause allows him to leave for free?. It may also help him get in the Nigeria squad for the summer should he move to a higher profile league although him taking a gamble to shop window himself at the ACN more more ££ might benefit us instead of signing a long term deal with someone in January.

Johnny_Leith

Rumours circulating he has a release cause in his contract, so if we are getting cash it won't be very much I'd imagine.

Did get a quality player for 18 months so although he's moving on its probably been a very good deal for hibs.

3pm

No....

BoomtownHibees

No

Heisenberg
31-12-2018, 10:49 AM
Suppose that explains why we nearly sold him in the summer if he can go for free now.

BILLYHIBS
31-12-2018, 10:50 AM
NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

:grr:

:brickwall

Pete
31-12-2018, 10:51 AM
Did get a quality player for 18 months so although he's moving on its probably been a very good deal for hibs.

This is where I’m at. He’s one of the best players in the league and to get him playing for us in any capacity was a coup.

Good luck Efe!

EH54

Very sad if that's the last we see of efe. What a player he has been an absoloute joy to watch. Shame he can't see the season out and pick up a deserved player of the year award.

Gatecrasher
If he goes we're about to see a drop in quality at the back. The guy oozes class.

pacoluna
31-12-2018, 10:53 AM
Disaster, best footballer we have by a mile.

truehibernian
31-12-2018, 10:54 AM
Huge January window now, and it was going to be anyway. Efe has been very good for Hibs and to be honest he was nearly away in summer to China I was hearing.

Club did well to get him and secure him on a contract. Just hope that the club haven't been blindsided to this happening, which I doubt, and that moves are in place to get cover. How good was Sidiki for the development team this month ?

I'm comforted by the fact that post-Celtic game, Lennon hinted that they had held a board meeting which had went well and he knew what he had to spend / play with this window and he seemed content with it.

Pete
31-12-2018, 10:56 AM
If he goes we're about to see a drop in quality at the back. The guy oozes class.

It’s not really the back we should be concerned about, it’s his drive and creativity we’ll need to replace.

We’ll need more midfielders to fill this particular hole.

Viva_Palmeiras
31-12-2018, 10:57 AM

How do you know what went on behind the scenes? I found it astounding we managed to attract and retain him perhaps a season and a bit longer (Europe would have helped).

Hibs90
31-12-2018, 10:57 AM
Devastated. One of the best in the league.

Stuart93
31-12-2018, 10:58 AM
People keep saying we’re well covered in that area is strange. Baring in mind we often go with 3 at the back we will only be left with 3 natural CB’s, that’s providing none get injured. We’ll definitely need another one in.

BegbieHSC
31-12-2018, 10:59 AM
Genuinely devastated.

I laughed when he first signed, but not player has ever proved me so wrong as Efe has.

Lad is just a class above. Hope we are pulling out all the stops to get him to stay, but if not, thank you for your time, Efe- it’s been a pleasure.

neil7908
31-12-2018, 11:03 AM
Not the news you want to hear given the number of new signings we need further forward.

Centre back is the one area of the pitch that we're fairly covered but he'll be a massive loss.

We were lucky to sign him in the first place and did amazingly to get 18 months out of him. And if a club the size of Marseille are interested you cant blame him.

Eyrie
31-12-2018, 11:10 AM
Don't want to lose him (especially for nothing) but he will go with my best wishes. Ambrose has settled into a joy to watch with his reading of the game and ability to bring the ball forward.

The only silver lining I can find is that it should put a stop to three at the back.

calumhibee1
31-12-2018, 11:15 AM

I’d suspect the clause in his contract was part of the reason he signed. Hes giving us 18 months of outstanding football and if the rumours of the sort of teams that have wanted him are true then he should never have been here in the first place had it not been his visa circumstances working in our favour.

Leith Green
31-12-2018, 11:32 AM
If Anbrose does leave then I reckon Lennon might start to play Milligan at centre half and sign a decent centre midfielder or two instead.

Pretty Boy
31-12-2018, 11:38 AM
We need to replace McGreggor mid term as well. Looks like we can add 2 CBs to the shopping list.

lyonhibs
31-12-2018, 11:39 AM

No we won't and I imagine the relevant clause in his contract was a condition necessary to get an internationalist in his prime to sign with a (at the time) Scottish Championship club.
Given the quality of performance we've often been treated to in that time from Efe, I'd say Hibs have played a blinder in getting him here in the first place and keeping him for a couple of years.

Huge transfer window coming up

truehibernian
31-12-2018, 11:46 AM
If Anbrose does leave then I reckon Lennon might start to play Milligan at centre half and sign a decent centre midfielder or two instead.

That would give me the utter fear putting Milligan there - shouldn’t even be in the side, terrible signing for me.

As it stands we have Porteous out injured, Darren who rarely trains and can break down now and again, an unreliable SDG at full back (injury wise), Lewy out for a while, and Hanlon coming back too soon from injury.

We certainly don’t have our troubles to seek at present. Huge window and Leeann and George better be prepared to deal with a great many questions from supporters if quality isn’t brought in. Record season tickets, Euro money, SJM money.......isn’t good enough so far.

MWHIBBIES
31-12-2018, 11:47 AM
Nightmare

Lemonade
31-12-2018, 11:50 AM
No money for him either! Tragic!

Why wouldn't we get a fee ?

James Stephen
31-12-2018, 11:51 AM
That would give me the utter fear putting Milligan there - shouldn’t even be in the side, terrible signing for me.

As it stands we have Porteous out injured, Darren who rarely trains and can break down now and again, an unreliable SDG at full back (injury wise), Lewy out for a while, and Hanlon coming back too soon from injury.

We certainly don’t have our troubles to seek at present. Huge window and Leeann and George better be prepared to deal with a great many questions from supporters if quality isn’t brought in. Record season tickets, Euro money, SJM money.......isn’t good enough so far.

I think Milligan as a sweeper would be ok, with Hanlon and or McGregor/ Porteous either side. You can get away without pace at the back.

Efe will be an enormous miss though, been a great player for us and is easily good enough to play a good level above Scotland.

G B Young
31-12-2018, 11:54 AM
Why wouldn't we get a fee ?

He apparently has a release clause in his contract which he can activate in January.

Gmack7
31-12-2018, 12:20 PM
I think Milligan as a sweeper would be ok, with Hanlon and or McGregor/ Porteous either side. You can get away without pace at the back.

Efe will be an enormous miss though, been a great player for us and is easily good enough to play a good level above Scotland.
I've always felt SDG would be suited to the right of a back 3,assuming he could stay fit

bodhibs
31-12-2018, 12:24 PM
Thought this was going to happen but my heart still sank when I read the thread title. Absolutely gutted, very hard to replace, loved watching him ☹️

Hedlund12
31-12-2018, 12:27 PM
I'll be gutted to see Efe go..
I did wonder why he was the last man off the park on Saturday. At first I thought it was as simple as catching up/talking to a hearts player.
I referred to Efe (to my son) as a bit of a mad scientist..
He showed signs of madness at times and signs of brilliance at other times... more good than bad IMO.
He's been a pleasure to watch in a hibs jersey. 💚

Speedway
31-12-2018, 12:39 PM

Because we have little to no ambition beyond sustained profitablity within the ownership.

Hibernia&Alba
31-12-2018, 12:45 PM
Because we have little to no ambition beyond sustained profitablity within the ownership.

Perhaps to some extent, but that isn't the whole story. It's a reflection of our position in football's pecking order. When bigger clubs with much deeper pockets make an offer for a player, what can we do?

pacoluna
31-12-2018, 12:45 PM
How do you know what went on behind the scenes? I found it astounding we managed to attract and retain him perhaps a season and a bit longer (Europe would have helped).

We keep going around in circles,it's why we never have consistent top 4 league finishes as we should be doing. It will never change.

bingo70
31-12-2018, 12:47 PM
Perhaps to some extent, but that isn't the whole story. It's a reflection of our position in football's pecking order. When bigger clubs with much deeper pockets make an offer for a player, what can we do?

Use our muscle down the way to clubs smaller than us to get their best players.

I know we’ve done that in the past but not enough for my liking.

heidtheba
31-12-2018, 12:49 PM

I think this is a slightly different case. From what I can work out, Efe came here more for visa reasons than perhaps fully 'footballing' ones. I think we've been lucky to get him and I think his contract from us has been based around us being fortunate to have him, making the most of him when he was here but very much not standing in his way when he decided to leave. Not the usual contractual situation, but benefited us because we got a player who was better than the championship side we were and which benefits the player too.
All the best Efe and thanks for everything.

The 90+2
31-12-2018, 12:49 PM

Sound out players from smaller teams and scout them properly for a good few months expecting this possibility or even probability? I’m hoping that we have a pca lined up right away and not scraping the barrel for random loans or guys we’ve never heard of coming in for a couple of months.

Hibernia&Alba
31-12-2018, 12:54 PM
Use our muscle down the way to clubs smaller than us to get their best players.

I know we’ve done that in the past but not enough for my liking.

Sound out players from smaller teams and scout them properly for a good few months expecting this possibility or even probability? I’m hoping that we have a pca lined up right away and not scraping the barrel for random loans or guys we’ve never heard of coming in for a couple of months.

I agree with both of you regarding replacements. I'm just saying we are always going to lose our better players to clubs which can pay far bigger salaries.

macca70
31-12-2018, 12:56 PM
This is devastating, easily our best player at the moment.

And despite playing centre half, he’s probably been our most creative player.

The 90+2
31-12-2018, 12:57 PM
I agree with both of you regarding replacements. I'm just saying we are always going to lose our better players to clubs which can pay far bigger salaries.

Of course, law of the jungle. Just have to hope unlike past history we bring someone good in our league even if it’s potential. What I don’t want is some over the hill donkey who will take ages to get up to speed. The Livingston CH would be my choice.

Carheenlea
31-12-2018, 12:59 PM
Efe is not only a majestic footballer, but is also an entertainer - moments of outrageous skill pretty much every game which can light up any match and have you shaking your head and putting a smile on your face. His style is very much Hibs in nature.
Hopefully he stays, but if not it’s been a joy having him here and I’ve loved watching him play for us.

WhileTheChief..
31-12-2018, 01:00 PM
Gutted.

Hoped he would see out the season at least.

Wish him every success wherever he goes, love the big guy.

MWHIBBIES
31-12-2018, 01:00 PM
Of course, law of the jungle. Just have to hope unlike past history we bring someone good in our league even if it’s potential. What I don’t want is some over the hill donkey who will take ages to get up to speed. The Livingston CH would be my choice.

"The Livingston Ch" to replace a player like Ambrose? He's so good you don't know his name.

Our recent history of signing defenders is Fontaine, McGregor, Gunnarsson and Ambrose. Pretty decent.

The 90+2
31-12-2018, 01:04 PM
"The Livingston Ch" to replace a player like Ambrose? He's so good you don't know his name.

Our recent history of signing defenders is Fontaine, McGregor, Gunnarsson and Ambrose. Pretty decent.

Calm down eh I’m pretty sure everyone knows who I mean! Their captain!
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craig_Halkett
At this stage of the season would you rather Chris Martin or someone. Yep, Stubbs could spot a player and Efe had the Lennon link. Our recent history of replacing our best and main players is god awful.

brog
31-12-2018, 01:04 PM
We can either stick with four at the back or not play three, because on our budget we'll have nothing left for a good CB anyway. It'll be another Daniel Boateng or Matt Doherty.

You mean Matt Doherty who's an ever present for Wolves & stifled Kane, Eriksen, Son etc the other night? Yes please!!

The 90+2
31-12-2018, 01:07 PM
You mean Matt Doherty who's an ever present for Wolves & stifled Kane, Eriksen, Son etc the other night? Yes please!!

We need someone in that’s played many first team games is the point I read. Doherty played about 4 times before coming up.

Rumble de Thump
31-12-2018, 01:07 PM
Anyone got a link to the Daily Mail article?

The_Horde
31-12-2018, 01:10 PM

Halkett. Would be a good choice IMO.

cabbageandribs1875
31-12-2018, 01:11 PM
glad i got the chance to change my opinion of him as a football player, always a bomb scare at sellick imo and although a few 'Efe moments' with us i loved watching him storming up the pitch(most of the time) gonna miss the big mam :( good luck Efe

oneone73
31-12-2018, 01:16 PM
Anyone got a link to the Daily Mail article?

Same thing is in the EEN.

calumhibee1
31-12-2018, 01:17 PM

I’m sure Gunnarsson is a free agent..

Michael
31-12-2018, 01:19 PM
I’m sure Gunnarsson is a free agent..

Would be good, but don't think we could afford him.

Northernhibee
31-12-2018, 01:21 PM
One of those signings that have been absolutely brilliant for all parties involved. It's been an utter pleasure to see Efe Ambrose make mincemeat of attackers and midfielders alike, and it appears that his confidence is right back where it needs to be and he's going to get a big move.

Thank you Efe, hope we see you back at ER sometime soon :thumbsup::flag:

Rumble de Thump
31-12-2018, 01:23 PM
Same thing is in the EEN.

Cheers. Every article I've seen just seems to be lifted from the Daily Mail. Maybe it's only in the print version. I thought it might have some insight or quotes regarding Efe's contract.

The 90+2
31-12-2018, 01:23 PM
I wonder why this has been leaked now? Maybe to let the fans know and Neil forcing the boards hand on replacement funds?

Bishop Hibee
31-12-2018, 01:28 PM
Disappointing. I’d hoped we’d keep him until the end of the season. He’s been great for us. With a big wage freed up, it will hopefully give us a bit more clout in the transfer window.

Billy Whizz
31-12-2018, 01:29 PM
I wonder why this has been leaked now? Maybe to let the fans know and Neil forcing the boards hand on replacement funds?

Get all the bad news out together

bingo70
31-12-2018, 01:29 PM

Crossed my mind too.

I may be due Underscore an apology as can almost see it panning out over the next week or so, Efe leaves for nowt, Lennon wants money to replace him, Hibs refer Lennon to our empty biscuit tin and he’s not happy about it.

Wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest.

Jim44
31-12-2018, 01:30 PM

If he’s played his last game, it’s natural that it’s announced sooner rather than later.

The 90+2
31-12-2018, 01:33 PM

I don’t think it’s as clear cut as that personally.

The 90+2
31-12-2018, 01:33 PM
Crossed my mind too.

I may be due Underscore an apology as can almost see it panning out over the next week or so, Efe leaves for nowt, Lennon wants money to replace him, Hibs refer Lennon to our empty biscuit tin and he’s not happy about it.

Wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest.

My thoughts exactly.

HFC 0-7
31-12-2018, 01:34 PM

Dont bring in the players that arent getting a sniff and put their wages towards players we want to keep. Too many players come in and are just a waste of a wage. We would be better using the younger players for squad depth.

The 90+2
31-12-2018, 01:35 PM
If he’s played his last game, it’s natural that it’s announced sooner rather than later.

Not really, it’s usully not leaked about a clause in contract and he’s leaving, this clause nobody apart from Santa knew about. I’m hoping it’s to publicly let the support know from Lennon he needs backing. Usually it would be Efe leaving towards the end of the window thanks for the effort replaced by some diddy. Lennon is a very smart guy.

Billy Whizz
31-12-2018, 01:35 PM
Dont bring in the players that arent getting a sniff and put their wages towards players we want to keep. Too many players come in and are just a waste of a wage. We would be better using the younger players for squad depth.

We are, 4 of them were on the bench on Saturday

HFC 0-7
31-12-2018, 01:36 PM

Absolutely, Milligan shouldnt be in there, far too slow, would get turned too easy and done for pace. Efe was class in there, maintained possesion where some defenders would lump it away, he also started attacks well with his runs out of defence. We need a signing in there now, as you say we are thin on the ground in there with the potential for more injuries.

Lago
31-12-2018, 01:38 PM

It hasn't, I posted on 26th Dec that reports in the printed press indicated he was considering activating his release clause with interest in his signature coming from England & Turkey.
We should be happy we had such an accomplished footballer at ER for the period we have. He probably has 1 last decent contract left & wants to make the most of it. And never a bomb scare, an entertainer. If he goes I wish him all the best.

HFC 0-7
31-12-2018, 01:40 PM

Because of injuries, point is, some of the players we have brought in never even made the squad.

JohnM1875
31-12-2018, 01:40 PM

Speaking of the youngsters, what's the script with Fraser Murray? Always looked a real talent when I've seen him play

hibsbollah
31-12-2018, 01:41 PM
Shinnie out of contract in the summer. Would be a massive statement of intent from moneybags Petrie.

Billy Whizz
31-12-2018, 01:50 PM
Speaking of the youngsters, what's the script with Fraser Murray? Always looked a real talent when I've seen him play

Back training now, spoke to him pre match on Saturday. Grown in height and added muscle too.

Billy Whizz
31-12-2018, 01:50 PM
Because of injuries, point is, some of the players we have brought in never even made the squad.

Sorry who?

MWHIBBIES
31-12-2018, 01:51 PM
Shinnie out of contract in the summer. Would be a massive statement of intent from moneybags Petrie.

How much are you expecting him to pay? If we make a great offer and he still doesn't join is that Hibs fault?

hibsbollah
31-12-2018, 01:52 PM
How much are you expecting him to pay? If we make a great offer and he still doesn't join is that Hibs fault?

I'm just saying it would be a great signing:confused:

Hibeesmad
31-12-2018, 01:59 PM

Would take him but I doubt he would come to us

NAE NOOKIE
31-12-2018, 02:13 PM
If there's a release clause in his contract he has Hibs over a barrel and that clause was probably the only reason we were able to sign him in the first place along with his personal circumstances.

Rolls Royce of a player at times and so enjoyable to watch his storming runs down the wing. If its true that the likes of Cardiff and Marseille are interested we are out of the game no matter what we offer him.

This puts us in the biggest bind we've been in since the new regime started at ER with the appointment of Leanne Dempster. In theory we are still well covered at centre half, but that cover consists of Darren McGregor who is out for lengthy periods through injury, Paul Hanlon who is becoming more and more injury prone, Mark Milligan whose stock is falling by the day and Ryan Porteous whose current injury we don't know the extent of, NL was talking about weeks a few days ago.

We have a midfield which needs at least two additions to put a rocket up the backsides of the current incumbents and we need at least one new striker.

Chuck in a replacement for Ambrose and that leaves us in need of a minimum of 4 players and probably somebody to cover for Boyle as he continues his quest for permanent jet lag as he represents Australia in tournaments and friendlies against the likes of Fiji and the Solomon Islands.

I would imagine Efe is on a fair wedge in Hibs terms so at least his absence will free up some money. Whatever Hibs do next if there was ever the time for an out of left field signing to enthuse the fans now would be it ….. We could pull out all the stops to sign Scott Allan, but if there is interest from the USA I would be willing to bet he will take that as the easier option … I wonder if Peter Crouch is available on loan :greengrin

Its gonna' be an interesting few weeks :confused:

erin go bragh
31-12-2018, 02:17 PM
Losing our best player for nowt. Only positive it will free up a good chunk of wages as Effe must have been one of our highest earners .
Massive window for us now .

Hibee Mac
31-12-2018, 02:28 PM
The club should not see this as anything other than a potential disaster the way we are going this season.

We are in relegation form and that was with efe, what might happen if our best defender leaves and our recruitment is poor yet again?

Massive window ahead and Lennon has half a season to save his job.

The_Horde
31-12-2018, 02:31 PM
Losing our best player for nowt. Only positive it will free up a good chunk of wages as Effe must have been one of our highest earners .
Massive window for us now .

We're starting to specialise in losing our best players for nothing or next to nothing.

The 90+2
31-12-2018, 02:34 PM
The club should not see this as anything other than a potential disaster the way we are going this season.

We are in relegation form and that was with efe, what might happen if our best defender leaves and our recruitment is poor yet again?

Massive window ahead and Lennon has half a season to save his job.

We won’t go down. Season ticket sales will though if this continues.

MWHIBBIES
31-12-2018, 02:34 PM
I'm just saying it would be a great signing:confused:Fair enough, misunderstood the post.

The 90+2
31-12-2018, 02:35 PM
We're starting to specialise in losing our best players for nothing or next to nothing.

Apart from McGinn and Cummings? In comparison to what other side that specialises in getting top money for players? It’s the way it is in Scotland. Players won’t come here for 5 years to sell on. It’s a shop window they are after

banchoryhibs
31-12-2018, 02:36 PM

The board will already know - after all the they will be coordinating the flight tickets for the the Gulf trip. Need to know who is travelling .

Gatecrasher
31-12-2018, 02:38 PM
It’s not really the back we should be concerned about, it’s his drive and creativity we’ll need to replace.

We’ll need more midfielders to fill this particular hole.

I agree about his creativity but he is a rock at the back more so than anyone else on the squad, we will miss him big time imo.

Speedway
31-12-2018, 02:39 PM
Wring yer knickers out.

This is a negotiating ploy to get Hibs to pay him proper money to extend his deal.

The 90+2
31-12-2018, 02:40 PM
The board will already know - after all the they will be coordinating the flight tickets for the the Gulf trip. Need to know who is travelling .

Of course they will, but by this coming out publicly in the Scottish media it makes the support aware. Just need to check this thread.

The 90+2
31-12-2018, 02:40 PM
Wring yer knickers out.

This is a negotiating ploy to get Hibs to pay him proper money to extend his deal.

£20k will cover it. Who’s not signed up to HSL yet?

bingo70
31-12-2018, 02:45 PM
Wring yer knickers out.

Or we hear from Lenny in the next week saying we’ve not given up hope of him staying, spend the next few weeks competing with clubs who pay far more than we can......then he joins one of them on the last day of the transfer window with no time to replace him.

Onion
31-12-2018, 02:59 PM
Or we hear from Lenny in the next week saying we’ve not given up hope of him staying, spend the next few weeks competing with clubs who pay far more than we can......then he joins one of them on the last day of the transfer window with no time to replace him.

Sadly, that's how Hibs transfer movies tend to end. Best player at ER by a country mile, so will be a real blow to see him go. Saying that, I have complete faith in Lennon to find a suitable, equivalent replacement :fibber:

NikGunnarsson
31-12-2018, 03:20 PM
Time for a move for Gunnarsson?

calumhibee1
31-12-2018, 03:21 PM
Time for a move for Gunnarsson?

Come home Niklas.

BILLYHIBS
31-12-2018, 03:23 PM
Sadly, that's how Hibs transfer movies tend to end. Best player at ER by a country mile, so will be a real blow to see him go. Saying that, I have complete faith in Lennon to find a suitable, equivalent replacement :fibber:

Time to bring Jackie MacNamara SNR back from Spain :greengrin

Heisenberg
31-12-2018, 03:34 PM

Are you David Hardie? :greengrin

https://trib.al/XJksmT0

staunchhibby
31-12-2018, 03:34 PM
Be nice if the management or board gave us an update regarding effe.

Willis1875
31-12-2018, 03:38 PM
Hibs have offered Efe a new deal
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-hope-bumper-deal-can-convince-efe-ambrose-to-stay-at-easter-road-1-4850395

NAE NOOKIE
31-12-2018, 03:53 PM
Hibs have offered Efe a new deal
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-hope-bumper-deal-can-convince-efe-ambrose-to-stay-at-easter-road-1-4850395

Unfortunately being 'one of Hibs highest earners' is meaningless in the grand scheme of things … Efe is 30 now and will rightly take the highest offer he can, that's not going to be what we are offering unless interest from elsewhere has cooled, which given his performances this season I'm inclined to doubt.

The Spaceman
31-12-2018, 04:18 PM
Unfortunately being 'one of Hibs highest earners' is meaningless in the grand scheme of things … Efe is 30 now and will rightly take the highest offer he can, that's not going to be what we are offering unless interest from elsewhere has cooled, which given his performances this season I'm inclined to doubt.

:agree: this is probably an empty offer from us so they can appease fans with "well, we tried!".

Efe will be away. Thanks for the memories big man, you'll be missed and good luck to you wherever you end up.

Fortunately, he currently occupies a position where we aren't short on quality. Hanlon and Porteous are both more than good enough to pair up!

silverhibee
31-12-2018, 04:40 PM

What's the other bad news :greengrin

The 90+2
31-12-2018, 04:42 PM

He should be made the joint highest earner with Gray.

MWHIBBIES
31-12-2018, 04:54 PM
He should be made the joint highest earner with Gray.Tbh, Ambrose is worth alot more than Gray who is quite injury prone now.

Smartie
31-12-2018, 04:57 PM
:agree: this is probably an empty offer from us so they can appease fans with "well, we tried!".

Efe will be away. Thanks for the memories big man, you'll be missed and good luck to you wherever you end up.

Fortunately, he currently occupies a position where we aren't short on quality. Hanlon and Porteous are both more than good enough to pair up!

We shouldn't piss about here.

He's not going to accept our biggest and best offer, and deserves a last shot at getting some big bucks elsewhere.

Efe has done well by us and rather than prolong anything Dylan-style we should get a feel for what he wants to do asap.

It's a blow to lose as talented a player but it was imo inevitable.

We need to be working on the restructuring to deal with his departure NOW, at the same time as we are sorting the midfield and forwards.

I'll be raging if we lose Efe late in the window with nothing other than a half-arsed sticking plaster lined up to fill a jersey until he's away.

TBH I'd probably be happy enough with Hanlon, McGregor and Porteous with Milligan as cover and ditching the 3 at the back. We can then work on properly getting what we need to sort the midfield.

If we're hell bent on playing 3 at the back, Milligan, Whittaker, Stevenson and Gray could potentially all play on the right side, but we'll need a very different midfield to do so.

Ryan69
31-12-2018, 05:13 PM
If Efe leaves....there will not be a man with hard feelings towards him. Has been absolutely brilliant for us.

We should try offer a 4-5 year deal with him on a very nice wage. The guy is worth his weight in gold.
Id give him a Captaincy role also.

Good thing is his family are settled...so we can only hope.

If the guy goes...Im sure every single Hibs fan will wish him the very best.

The_Horde
31-12-2018, 05:28 PM
Mcgeouch all over again.

Efe: I'm leaving

Hibs: Please stay

Efe: Naw

Hibs: Well can we offer you a contract to make it look like we at least tried?

Efe: Aye, sound.

Shrekko
31-12-2018, 05:33 PM
Mcgeouch all over again.

Hibs surely can’t be criticised for not being able to offer the guy what he can get elsewhere?

I didn’t even think we’d get this far with him and credit to the club for that. A truly fantastic player for Hibs over 2 years.

jacomo
31-12-2018, 05:44 PM
Wring yer knickers out.

Is it?

If Cardiff put in an offer it will be miles above anything that Hibs can afford.

AgentDaleCooper
31-12-2018, 05:44 PM
Mcgeouch all over again.

Would you rather we didn't bother? How do you know we aren't trying?

Pointless negativity.

Billy Whizz
31-12-2018, 05:45 PM
What's the other bad news :greengrin

I meant after Saturday’s lose, that’s bad news

Ryan69
31-12-2018, 05:49 PM
Is it?

If Cardiff put in an offer it will be miles above anything that Hibs can afford.

Or Marseille

The 90+2
31-12-2018, 05:54 PM
Tbh, Ambrose is worth alot more than Gray who is quite injury prone now.

Whilst I agree my opinion is captain should always ern most.

The 90+2
31-12-2018, 05:55 PM
Mcgeouch all over again.

He’s wanting quite rightly to activate some ***** clause and move away for big bucks. I’ve no idea how the club can be at fault apart from the new contract looking like a token gesture.

emerald green
31-12-2018, 06:58 PM
Maybe Neil Lennon will be able to persuade Ambrose to stay until the end of the season?

Connollys11
31-12-2018, 07:05 PM
He’s wanting quite rightly to activate some ***** clause and move away for big bucks. I’ve no idea how the club can be at fault apart from the new contract looking like a token gesture.
True mate he's a free agent in the summer we can hardly hold the guy hostage ae 😂😂

Connollys11
31-12-2018, 07:05 PM
Maybe Neil Lennon will be able to persuade Ambrose to stay until the end of the season?

One can only hope mate

Weegreenman
31-12-2018, 07:07 PM
Players will come and players will go. It’s us the supporters who’ll be left supporting the club and the new players who’ll come into fill the space left by the departed. Having said that, I’ll be sad to see Efe leave. Having once or maybe even twice called him a circus act, he managed to prove me and many others wrong. There is a player in him somewhere beneath the theatrics......We got Efe Ambrose ��

Connollys11
31-12-2018, 07:08 PM
Players will come and players will go. It’s us the supporters who’ll be left supporting the club and the new players who’ll come into fill the space left by the departed. Having said that, I’ll be sad to see Efe leave. Having once or maybe even twice called him a circus act, he managed to prove me and many others wring. There is a player in him somewhere beneath the theatrics......We got Efe Ambrose 🎶

Spot on mate.

ekhibee
31-12-2018, 07:18 PM
Players will come and players will go. It’s us the supporters who’ll be left supporting the club and the new players who’ll come into fill the space left by the departed. Having said that, I’ll be sad to see Efe leave. Having once or maybe even twice called him a circus act, he managed to prove me and many others wrong. There is a player in him somewhere beneath the theatrics......We got Efe Ambrose ��
I have to say, that's by far the most accurate assessment of him IMO. He was excellent at times, no doubt, but he made plenty of mistakes too. Will miss him though. Just out of curiosity, there's no mention of it on the official site or the BBC website either, they have an article saying that Cardiff are interested in Kamara from Dundee and that's on the Cardiff City rumours as well, nothing I could see about Ambrose there. Maybe he is away but don't think it's to Cardiff.

SingaporeHibs
31-12-2018, 07:19 PM
He has been great but if the story is true there is probably nothing Hibs can do. We could offer him the best contract ever in our history and it wouldn’t be enough to stop him move to England’s leagues or the French. As sad as it is, only the OF could offer him enough wages to stay in Scotland and I don’t see that happening.
As great as he has been I do think we can get away with losing him. It’s midfield and forward that really needs attention and freeing up his wages may well help the greater good of us moving forward.
As much as I would love us to have a great Jan window, it’s by far the harder of the 2 windows to bring in players of real quality. Not impossible but much harder than the summer. Got everything crossed for some luck. Hope Scott Allan becomes the first one in very early in the window.

Connollys11
31-12-2018, 07:22 PM
He has been great but if the story is true there is probably nothing Hibs can do. We could offer him the best contract ever in our history and it wouldn’t be enough to stop him move to England’s leagues or the French. As sad as it is, only the OF could offer him enough wages to stay in Scotland and I don’t see that happening.
As great as he has been I do think we can get away with losing him. It’s midfield and forward that really needs attention and freeing up his wages may well help the greater good of us moving forward.
As much as I would love us to have a great Jan window, it’s by far the harder of the 2 windows to bring in players of real quality. Not impossible but much harder than the summer. Got everything crossed for some luck. Hope Scott Allan becomes the first one in very early in the window.
Aye that's it mate. The only thing we have in our favour is that his family are settled in Scotland and that Lennon is like a father figure to him not to mention he'll never get loved by another fan base like he does with us but I'll be stunned if he stays we can only hope. As long as we get Allan in and kamara fi Dundee and a striker we should be sound.

NAE NOOKIE
01-01-2019, 02:19 PM
He should be made the joint highest earner with Gray.

And what's Gray on? … £3,000 a week at best probably. If Cardiff or Marseille signed him as the poorest paid player in their first team squad he would probably still be on between 5 and 10 times that.

Hibeesmad
01-01-2019, 02:35 PM
Whittaker is probably on about £4,000 a week

Lago
01-01-2019, 02:39 PM
We have no idea what each individual player is on & that's how it should be, anything else is an educated guess.

Since90+2
01-01-2019, 02:41 PM

No chance.

NAE NOOKIE
01-01-2019, 02:45 PM
We have no idea what each individual player is on & that's how it should be, anything else is an educated guess.

Apart from that, what any Hibs player is on is immaterial in this sort of debate … you don't have to know what our top earner is being paid to know that there are hundreds of clubs out there who can knock it out of the park.

Just Jimmy
01-01-2019, 02:54 PM
Salford city signed Adam Rooney from Aberdeen.

there's clubs people on this board haven't even heard off in England and Europe that can blow hibs out the water in wages.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Lago
01-01-2019, 02:57 PM
:aok:
Apart from that, what any Hibs player is on is immaterial in this sort of debate … you don't have to know what our top earner is being paid to know that there are hundreds of clubs out there who can knock it out of the park.

FilipinoHibs
01-01-2019, 10:01 PM
I have to say, that's by far the most accurate assessment of him IMO. He was excellent at times, no doubt, but he made plenty of mistakes too. Will miss him though. Just out of curiosity, there's no mention of it on the official site or the BBC website either, they have an article saying that Cardiff are interested in Kamara from Dundee and that's on the Cardiff City rumours as well, nothing I could see about Ambrose there. Maybe he is away but don't think it's to Cardiff.

Agent spin to get his wages up. Hard from him to leave Scotland with wife and kids settled here.