PDA

View Full Version : Livi beat those clowns 5-0. That's perspective.

G B Young
30-12-2018, 09:31 AM
I know folk tend to let their emotions get the better of them after a derby defeat and that after a day or two some perspective returns. However, IMHO the only perspective to be drawn from last night is that we are a club going backwards. Yes, we were missing a good few players and yes a derby is a very different fixture to a game at Livingston. However, to lose at home to a bang average Hearts side which had been in freefall is a stinging summation of how far we've slipped in a short space of time.

flash
30-12-2018, 09:32 AM
I know folk tend to let their emotions get the better of them after a derby defeat and that after a day or two some perspective returns. However, IMHO the only perspective to be drawn from last night is that we are a club going backwards. Yes, we were missing a good few players and yes a derby is a very different fixture to a game at Livingston. However, to lose at home to a bang average Hearts side which had been in freefall is a stinging summation of how far we've slipped in a short space of time.
Right you are then.

Allant1981
30-12-2018, 09:33 AM
Previous results have hee haw to do with anything, it was a bad day at the office

Hibernia&Alba
30-12-2018, 09:36 AM
Hearts are bang average, but, let's be honest, so are we just now. It was two evenly matched sides, with a great stike separating the teams. Sadly for us, Whittaker's shot didn't quite make it.

I wouldn't read too much into their 5-0 pumping at Livi. For some reason they collapsed in the last fifteen minutes.

G B Young
30-12-2018, 09:50 AM
Previous results have hee haw to do with anything, it was a bad day at the office

Too many 'bad days at the office' this season for us to brush this aside as a one-off. We played Hearts off the park on their last few visits to Easter Road and should have had a few more goals to show for it. We rarely looked like finding the net last night which surely confirms how much weaker a side we are this season.

Allant1981
30-12-2018, 09:51 AM
Too many 'bad days at the office' this season for us to be able to shrug this off as a one-off. We played Hearts off the park on their last few visits to Easter Road and should have had a few more goals to show for it. We rarely looked like finding the net last night which surely confirms how much weaker a side we are this season.

I agree but results from other games have nothing to do with last night

hibee_girl
30-12-2018, 09:54 AM
Too many 'bad days at the office' this season for us to brush this aside as a one-off. We played Hearts off the park on their last few visits to Easter Road and should have had a few more goals to show for it. We rarely looked like finding the net last night which surely confirms how much weaker a side we are this season.

It’s not like Hearts had loads of chances last night either, they had one wonder strike which went in. Ours ran across the goal line and didn’t go in.

Scouse Hibee
30-12-2018, 09:54 AM

And we beat Celtic 2-0 and drew twice with Rangers. Previous results have no reflection on the derby.

Baldy Foghorn
30-12-2018, 09:55 AM

Did you watch the match? Slaver

G B Young
30-12-2018, 10:02 AM

Yes, and what struck me was how poor we looked in comparison to the the previous half dozen derbies at ER, which we have thoroughly dominated. Our standards have slipped dramatically in a short space of time - of that there's surely little doubt.

wookie70
30-12-2018, 10:08 AM
Not sure the Livi result is too much of a gauge on how good Hearts are. Looking at Hearts in the last couple of Derbies I would say they have one of the worst teams I can recall them fielding in the last 30 years or so. They were very, very poor yesterday but were organised and worked hared. That was enough to beat us though and will more than likely be enough to see them finish above us. That may well be the case with Livi and St Johnstone too and unless we improve dramatically 8th could well be where we finish.

Baldy Foghorn
30-12-2018, 10:08 AM
Yes, and what struck me was how poor we looked in comparison to the the previous half dozen derbies at ER, which we have thoroughly dominated. Our standards have slipped dramatically in a short space of time - of that there's surely little doubt.

We dominated yesterday

ChickenCurryYLT
30-12-2018, 10:10 AM

Get your tin hat ready.

How dare you have a negative opinion on Hibs and voice your concern.

3pm
30-12-2018, 10:10 AM
We dominated yesterday

Without threatening too much again.

JimboHibs
30-12-2018, 10:17 AM

What game were you watching ? Slaver put your green tinted glasses away we were pish,watching that dross bores the life out of me.

Baldy Foghorn
30-12-2018, 10:19 AM
What game were you watching ? Slaver put your green tinted glasses away we were pish,watching that dross bores the life out of me.

Really bully for you....Dross really?

Haha don't go if it bores you

HibeeHibernian4
30-12-2018, 10:22 AM
We dominated yesterday

Depends on what you mean by dominated. Doyle barely had a save to make all evening and, apart from Whittaker hitting the post, we never came close to scoring.

We shaded possession and they took their chance well. A 0-0 would’ve been fair. It was nowhere close to the domination of the last Fenlon Derby that we lost 1-0, where we could’ve been 3 up in the first 25 minutes before they got their goal.

As has been the case with most of our time in the top flight so far, we’ve controlled games without doing enough to win them. I think dominated is stretching it.

What absolutely is true is that we’d all bite your hand off for a win like Hearts got last night at Tynecastle. Mallan’s long range efforts in October there were the closest we came, so why not try more of it?

B.H.F.C
30-12-2018, 10:22 AM
We dominated yesterday

We dominated the ball but that doesn’t get you very far.

The intensity in our play, compared the the Easter Road derbies of the last few years was non existent.

For all we talk about the midfield we’ve lost, it’s more than just their ability on the ball we’ve lost. They drove us on and we ran over the top of Hearts. We were timid in that respect last night.

Baldy Foghorn
30-12-2018, 10:24 AM
We dominated the ball but that doesn’t get you very far.

The intensity in our play, compared the the Easter Road derbies of the last few years was non existent.

For all we talk about the midfield we’ve lost, it’s more than just their ability on the ball we’ve lost. They drove us on and we ran over the top of Hearts. We were timid in that respect last night.

Agree, but just calling out posters claiming it was dross. It was far from some of the dross we have witnessed in bygone years

Pretty Boy
30-12-2018, 10:26 AM
Perspective is clouded by recent events. If Whittakers shot had sneaked in then we would be hailing another game unbeaten, the fight shown in the face of so many absentees and praising the manager for changing the shape. As it was it didn't go in so we are plunged into crisis in the eyes of a few.

My view has been consistent for a while now. We aren't a great side and the midfield is a huge issue; our recruitment from the summer in that area hasn't worked out and we need a big January. I'd also add I don't think this is a one window solution but I acknowledge that you don't get years to build a team in Scotland as things are always evolving.

Lennon has more than earned the right to guide us through a rough patch. If we finish the season around about 8th place then I think both parties will be giving some consideration to where we go from there. We aren't at that stage yet, we have a few weeks break and the chance to salvage something from this season.

Baldy Foghorn
30-12-2018, 10:35 AM
Perspective is clouded by recent events. If Whittakers shot had sneaked in then we would be hailing another game unbeaten, the fight shown in the face of so many absentees and praising the manager for changing the shape. As it was it didn't go in so we are plunged into crisis in the eyes of a few.

My view has been consistent for a while now. We aren't a great side and the midfield is a huge issue; our recruitment from the summer in that area hasn't worked out and we need a big January. I'd also add I don't think this is a one window solution but I acknowledge that you don't get years to build a team in Scotland as things are always evolving.

Lennon has more than earned the right to guide us through a rough patch. If we finish the season around about 8th place then I think both parties will be giving some consideration to where we go from there. We aren't at that stage yet, we have a few weeks break and the chance to salvage something from this season.

Correct S.

Nameless
30-12-2018, 10:41 AM
And we beat Celtic 2-0 and drew twice with Rangers. Previous results have no reflection on the derby.I don't think anyone came here for sensible posts.

Sent from my G3311 using Tapatalk

B.H.F.C
30-12-2018, 10:45 AM
Agree, but just calling out posters claiming it was dross. It was far from some of the dross we have witnessed in bygone years

In terms of the season overall, dross isn't the worst description, perhaps a tad strong. The emotions of a derby defeat at home (which were not used to these days) heightens that.

We have obviously seen worse in years gone by, but I’m not sure how relative that is to what we are seeing at the moment. We have a lot more going for us that should make us stronger on the park than we did in years gone by but are under performing. Winning 2 out of 13 can, I think, be considered dross.

I should add, I’m not in the ‘Lennon out’ camp....yet.

SideBurns
30-12-2018, 10:47 AM

And Livvy also beat The Huns, drew with Celtic, and of course beat us. In the last 2 weeks, we've drawn twice with the Huns, drew with Livvy, and comfortably beaten Celtic.

With 11 players out last night, it was always going to be the best chance they've had in years of winning at ER. A single goal victory either way was the likeliest outcome, other than a draw. We have gone backwards, that much is obvious, but to use Hearts result at Livvy to make last night's defeat seem worse than it is doesn't make sense. Their 5-0 loss was as much a freak result as their own 4-0 win v Celtic last season.

JimboHibs
30-12-2018, 11:24 AM
Really bully for you....Dross really?

Haha don't go if it bores you

Haha is that it dont go .... glad you were chuffed at that performance.

Baldy Foghorn
30-12-2018, 11:33 AM
Haha is that it dont go .... glad you were chuffed at that performance.

It was a performance that didn't merit losing.

Connollys11
30-12-2018, 11:50 AM
Why is this even a thread? Every game is different especially a derby game. Didn't heart's end up with 9 men before Livingston scored an extra 4 goals? Livingston are no mugs as we've found out this season.

Hermit Crab
30-12-2018, 12:41 PM
Why is this even a thread? Every game is different especially a derby game. Didn't heart's end up with 9 men before Livingston scored an extra 4 goals? Livingston are no mugs as we've found out this season.

10 men was it not? Djoum sent off.

mutley
30-12-2018, 12:57 PM
And we beat Celtic 2-0 and drew twice with Rangers. Previous results have no reflection on the derby.

This

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

G B Young
31-12-2018, 08:16 AM

You could argue that those results should have had a reflection on the derby though? If we're capable of a win and two draws against the top two then should we not expect to have taken something at home from a side which lost 5-0 to Livi during the same period?

I agree to an extent that it doesn't really work that way when it comes to the derby, but my point was more that losing at home to Hearts underlines how quickly we've regressed this season and how inadequate the replacements for the big-time players we lost have been.

hibbydog
31-12-2018, 08:22 AM

Good post. Derbies are generally won on small margins. It’s crazy how the reactions are so OTT at times though.

Keith_M
31-12-2018, 07:15 PM

I surely can't be the only person sick of hearing people say that. It's time to admit the truth, we're just not very good.

No, I'm not being a Doom and Gloomer, over-reacting, or whatever else. I'm looking honestly at the team this season, the consistent bad performances, and results, and that's the only conclusion anyone can logically come to.

I'm hoping we make some seriously good signings in January, and clear out the dross.

Fife-Hibee
31-12-2018, 07:26 PM
We dominated yesterday

We dominated corners, possession and shots.

What does it count for when you can't take corners, can't do anything meaningful with the possession and can't create meaningful goal scoring opportunities beyond pop shots outside the box?

Our understanding of domination on here is completely wrong.