PDA

View Full Version : Get a Grip

Pretty Boy
30-12-2018, 06:39 AM
I went to bed early last night and reading through here this morning it seems a few others should have done the same. Folk telling each other to '**** off', calling each other all sorts, thinly veiled threats and so on. I spent some time trying to tidy things up but I just gave up because it's everywhere.

We lost a derby. I get it, that's *****. Does it excuse getting lairy on the internet because you've been on the pish all afternoon though? I can moan with the best of them when things aren't going well but it's like there has been a collective collapsing of erses and some have decided to turn on each other. As the title says: get a grip.

cleanyman
30-12-2018, 06:46 AM
There's always next time folks!

Get some signings and it's party time

greenpaper55
30-12-2018, 06:57 AM
I went to bed early last night and reading through here this morning it seems a few others should have done the same. Folk telling each other to '**** off', calling each other all sorts, thinly veiled threats and so on. I spent some time trying to tidy things up but I just gave up because it's everywhere.

We lost a derby. I get it, that's *****. Does it excuse getting lairy on the internet because you've been on the pish all afternoon though? I can moan with the best of them when things aren't going well but it's like there has been a collective collapsing of erses and some have decided to turn on each other. As the title says: get a grip.

You are right, what we are feeling right now is being felt by 50% of supporters up and down the land. In a few days it will all be forgotten about and we have a few weeks to lick our wounds and get a few bodies in to strengthen the side so time for all to calm down.

TheHarpy76
30-12-2018, 06:59 AM

Oh **** off, you ******** ****.

:greengrin

Hibernia&Alba
30-12-2018, 08:23 AM
Sadly, there was some shameful posting on here last night. I logged off because it was embarrassing. I'm sure booze was a big factor is some of it, added to the passion of the moment, but one or two experienced posters should know better. We've hit rock bottom when Hibs fans are offering each other square goes online.

We lost a hard fought derby to a brilliant goal. We've lost plenty of derbies in the past; we'll lose plenty in the future. It hurts, but some of the meltdowns last night were the worst I've seen during my time on the forum. I don't get it: we've seen far worse performances and defeats in the past. Last night wasn't like losing at Alloa or Dumbarton TWICE! We all know the squad needs improving, particularly in midfield, but, all things considered, the club isn't in such a bad state at the moment. We've come a long way in the past three years.

Perhaps last night was the final straw for some; the moment recent poor form became intolerable. Whatever the issue, this place went haywire and it was poor stuff.

Forza Fred
30-12-2018, 08:37 AM
Yep, some of the reactions were just so over the top.

We lost a hard fought game 0-1.

It will happen again.

Let’s hopefully learn from it and move on.

SideBurns
30-12-2018, 08:47 AM
Sadly, there was some shameful posting on here last night. I logged off because it was embarassing. I'm sure booze was a big factor is some of it, added to the passion of the moment, but one or two experienced posters should know better. We've hit rock bottom when Hibs fans are offering each other square goes online.

We lost a hard fought derby to a brilliant goal. We've lost plenty of derbies in the past; we'll lose plenty in the future. It hurts, but some of the meltdowns last night were the worst I've seen during my time on the forum. I don't get it: we've seen far worse performances and defeats in the past. Last night wasn't like losing at Alloa or Dumbarton TWICE! We all know the squad needs improving, particularly in midfield, but, all things considered, the club isn't in such a bad state at the moment. We've come a long way in the past three years.

Perhaps last night was the final straw for some; the moment recent poor form became intolerable. Whatever the issue, this place went haywire and it was poor stuff.

There was a timely article in the programme last night
(running to several pages) about Mercer's takeover bid, the Hands off Hibs campaign, and the subsequent events which kept us alive. Those of us old enough to recall that period know how it feels to almost lose Hibs from our lives - it was brutal. The hour or so in the immediate aftermath of a derby defeat is a raw time, but as I said to my laddie we'll win and lose countless of these games in the future, as we have throughout our history. It is simply part of life as a fitba fan.

Things aren't great on the park right now, and there is nothing wrong with critical analysis of where we are going wrong, but when it spills over into Hibbies abusing each other then it has gone much too far and lost all perspective. Regardless of personal opinions, surely we can see that we're united by a love of the Hibs?

Joe6-2
30-12-2018, 08:59 AM
We have the cheek to rip into posts on Herts forum when things go wrong for them, they must have loved logging in here last night!!

Johnny Clash
30-12-2018, 09:13 AM
I’ve seen us lose derbies in ways that really rip into your guts. Last night was by no means the worst defeat.

Soon after kick off, things just seemed a little bit flat - even the jambos weren't that loud despite being 1 up for most of the game.

I’m sure the OP is right - that too much bevy for some fuelled all the keyboard warriors last night. Time to crack on...

Baldy Foghorn
30-12-2018, 09:27 AM
Was gutted last night and still am this morning.

Some of the comments here yesterday were a joke, calling for Lennon's head after half an hour. Are these people serious?

On reflection we were the better side AGAIN, however we can't turn possession into goals. Some players in that team are simply not good enough, and we need to replace with better. On another night we win, luck was against us with Whittaker's shot. GGTTH

mcfly
30-12-2018, 09:32 AM
Last night became clear the gulf in quality from last years midfied to the replacements signed by Neil Lennon. Whether that’s due to the money he’s been given is another issue. But why are teams like killmarnock on half our budget doing so better??

Whittaker Slivka Mallan are way below the standard of mcginn mcgeough and Allan.

Lennon signed Whittaker and Mallan, he also signed Horgan who hasn’t really contributed much this season.

They are all his signings. Do you trust him to sign better??

Best players last night were efe and Mackie - I thought we had s real chance going down the left flank as first half Mackie did well

Hyndman is a non trier for me. Even at end when he was fouled in the box he never made anything off it.

Mallan great free kicks but what else?

I’m sorry guys but I’m disappointed in the manager blaming the strikers - even top internationals wouldnt score feeding off the pathetic weak midfield we have.

This lies with the manager, instead of blaming Kamberi he should take a serious look at his team and the players he brought in.

tamig
30-12-2018, 12:04 PM
I’ve said it before. Since the Cup win a new breed of poster has emerged. Full of self-entitlement and a glory-hunting type of attitude - imo. As soon as things go wrong they are all over the place like a rash. It’s not too pleasant.

Pete
30-12-2018, 12:11 PM
Common sense is at a premium nowadays. Everyone has a smartphone and we are so quick to judge regarding matters we either know nothing about or underqualified to give a worthwhile opinion on. Its the nature of the beast nowadays.

If anyone disagrees then drop me a PM and let’s arrange to fight.

Numptie
30-12-2018, 12:13 PM
Was reading the posts last night, and agreed with some of the anger towards NL. I then read about the death of the wife of Andrew Strauss, aged 46, and thought - it's only a game. Win or lose we will always have the next game.

McD
30-12-2018, 01:11 PM

Was reading the posts last night, and agreed with some of the anger towards NL. I then read about the death of the wife of Andrew Strauss, aged 46, and thought - it's only a game. Win or lose we will always have the next game.

2 fantastic posts :top marks

One Day Soon
30-12-2018, 01:43 PM
I’ve said it before. Since the Cup win a new breed of poster has emerged. Full of self-entitlement and a glory-hunting type of attitude - imo. As soon as things go wrong they are all over the place like a rash. It’s not too pleasant.

This all day long. It's an embarrassment and some of the posts that have been seen recently make me think we should have a sin bin approach. Maybe we already do?

SquashedFrogg
30-12-2018, 02:01 PM

Absolutely agree with this. I heard a shout last night after the final whistle saying this is the worst Hibs team they've ever seen!

truehibernian
30-12-2018, 02:07 PM
Absolutely agree with this. I heard a shout last night after the final whistle saying this is the worst Hibs team they've ever seen!

He obviously never witnessed Graeme Smith, Michael Hart, David Stephens, Matt Thornhill, EDG and Junior Agogo !!

Steve20
30-12-2018, 02:08 PM
Aye, everything is great. Just because we’re not as bad as in 2014, we should be happy with that performance. Have we been that battered down by this poor run that last night was seen as an acceptable performance? It was abysmal. We created next to nothing.

If it was a one off then people could maybe put it down to a bad day at the office, but have a quick look at our form the past few months and then have a look at the league table. We’re a bottom six team and that’s where we’ll finish.

swin82
30-12-2018, 02:10 PM

I agree 100%,we surely Can’t be that bad a team amean we beat Celtic and 2 draws against the rangers but that’s quickly forgotten about

One Day Soon
30-12-2018, 02:10 PM
Aye, everything is great. Just because we’re not as bad as in 2014, we should be happy with that performance. Have we been that battered down by this poor run that last night was seen as an acceptable performance? It was abysmal. We created next to nothing.

If it was a one off then people could maybe put it down to a bad day at the office, but have a quick look at our form the past few months and then have a look at the league table. We’re a bottom six team and that’s where we’ll finish.

I think exactly the opposite of every single thing you have posted there.

we are hibs
30-12-2018, 02:24 PM
This all day long. It's an embarrassment and some of the posts that have been seen recently make me think we should have a sin bin approach. Maybe we already do?

Let's ban posters that don't agree with you; is that what your seriously suggesting?

erin go bragh
30-12-2018, 02:25 PM
First loss at ER against that lot in 7 games . Including five straight wins .11 players missing . Bolyes pace was a massive loss . Can’t remember us getting in behind their defence all game .
This was our first loss over the festive period, which included three games against old Firm .
Hibs had the option to postpone the game with Boyle,Milligan and Maclaren away on international duty . When we had so many injuries it would have made sense to do just that .
I trust Lennon to make some signings and we can kick on and challenge for a top four spot .

where'stheslope
30-12-2018, 02:42 PM
I think most of the bitterness on the forum, is down to the belief of fans that they were there for the taking!
We had done well against both the Old Firm and they had capitulated to Livvie 5-0!!
Again our expectations were at an all time high going into an Easter Road floodlight game!
Then they turn up ready for a battle, and we forget to give them one!
Over the years, this has always been our achillies heal against them, we think we just turn up and all is well!
It was shown on other threads with what the score line would be, there was only a few who thought it would be a tight game, some even went for a draw?
The vast majority went for high scoring wins for us, yet when it was pointed out that big scores don't feature all that often in these games, still the big score lines came in???
My thoughts are, this is the reason for such bitterness on this forum, as fans ideas of realism is lost come Derby time, much as we want to win over the years its been a lottery of who wins.
I'm glad we now have a winter break, as it will let some fans settle down from this defeat, but I'm sure it will all start again in the New Year!!!
Till then I hope all of us have a great New Year and be ready for what next year throws at us!!!!!

Lago
30-12-2018, 02:43 PM

Your right, I was just saying to my wife last night that a lot of the posters that I use to see on here appear to have disappeared or no longer post. When I first registered it was a happier & funnier place to be. There was good natured repartee that made you laugh out loud. In the main that appears to be lost to a more angry, antagonist response to others views, with an increasing use of industrial language, all be it with use of strategic placement of an asterisk. Sad really.

Pretty Boy
30-12-2018, 02:44 PM

I think you're missing my point, perhaps intentionally.

I've been pretty clear I'm not particularly chuffed with where we are currently. There have been plent 'negative' points made that clearly havea level of thought behind them. My issue is in regards to the pished up online versions of a square go from a few folk last night. Is losing to Hearts really so bad that people want to pick a fight with someone they have never met on the internet?

One Day Soon
30-12-2018, 02:48 PM
Let's ban posters that don't agree with you; is that what your seriously suggesting?

No, but you seem a bit obsessed with the notion that people somehow aren't allowed to say what they think when they - rightly - do so all the time.

I do think people should be sin binned when they, for example, personally abuse others. But I am happy to leave all that to the admin pricks who it seems to me to do an admirable and thankless job well. Especially in the kind of ludicrous posting context we saw yesterday.

pacoluna
30-12-2018, 03:49 PM
I think most of the bitterness on the forum, is down to the belief of fans that they were there for the taking!
We had done well against both the Old Firm and they had capitulated to Livvie 5-0!!
Again our expectations were at an all time high going into an Easter Road floodlight game!
Over the years, this has always been our achillies heal against them, we think we just turn up and all is well!
It was shown on other threads with what the score line would be, there was only a few who thought it would be a tight game, some even went for a draw?
The vast majority went for high scoring wins for us, yet when it was pointed out that big scores don't feature all that often in these games, still the big score lines came in???
My thoughts are, this is the reason for such bitterness on this forum, as fans ideas of realism is lost come Derby time, much as we want to win over the years its been a lottery of who wins.
I'm glad we now have a winter break, as it will let some fans settle down from this defeat, but I'm sure it will all start again in the New Year!!!
Till then I hope all of us have a great New Year and be ready for what next year throws at us!!!!!

My issue is there is certain posters that are waiting on us to lose so they can lay the boot in. After every single game, it's not even debate it's just spite.

One Day Soon
30-12-2018, 03:51 PM
My issue is there is certainl posters that are waiting on us to lose so they can lay the boot in. After every single game, it's not even debate it's just spite.

Most of it really is.

Since90+2
30-12-2018, 03:57 PM

I actually disagree about the expectations going into the game last night. I said to my brother on the way in the atmosphere doesn't feel quite how it should (especially considering the kick off time and time of the year).

Last night was the first time I can remember playing them at ER in years that I didn't feel fully confident that we would turn them over. I'm not sure if it was the same for others but it certainly felt different.

FilipinoHibs
30-12-2018, 10:29 PM

In a game we dominated in procession, shots and corners. Hit the woodwork twice and denied a late penalty. Berra was allowed to foul Kamberi all match. They had one wonder strike which when you look at again , Lee should have been closed down. I have seen derbies for 50 years and this was one of the few where Hearts posed few threats. Let's get over it and look forward to players resting and getting a few new faces. A lot of fans would not have survived in 80s bad run.

neil7908
30-12-2018, 10:33 PM
In a game we dominated in procession, shots and corners. Hit the woodwork twice and denied a late penalty. Berra was allowed to foul Kamberi all match. They had one wonder strike which when you look at again , Lee should have been closed down. I have seen derbies for 50 years and this was one of the few where Hearts posed few threats. Let's get over it and look forward to players resting and getting a few new faces. A lot of fans would not have survived in 80s bad run.

I thought Lennon was a winner? Isn't that why we hired him? His recent derby record (not just the last game) is poor.

We weren't just unlucky last night, we played badly and some seem to be OK with the idea that scraping a draw at home against Hearts is OK. I'm not.

One Day Soon
30-12-2018, 11:01 PM
I thought Lennon was a winner? Isn't that why we hired him? His recent derby record (not just the last game) is poor.

We weren't just unlucky last night, we played badly and some seem to be OK with the idea that scraping a draw at home against Hearts is OK. I'm not.

No it's not, he's won 2 drawn 2 and lost 2. The same as Levein.

JimBHibees
31-12-2018, 08:10 AM

Lost 3 if you include the cup tie.

we are hibs
31-12-2018, 08:13 AM

Don't think we played particularly badly; i have seen us worse in derbies but in the end it was almost a replica of the fenlon cup game where we just couldn't score and could have probably played all night and not scored. Performances are irrelevant in derbies only the final result.

JimBHibees
31-12-2018, 08:16 AM
Don't think we played particularly badly; i have seen us worse in derbies but in the end it was almost a replica of the fenlon cup game where we just couldn't score and could have probably played all night and not scored. Performances are irrelevant in derbies only the final result.

The Fenlon game we created loads of chances, the one just played we created very few but on balance of play a draw would have been fair. Their shot went in ours didnt.

Beefster
31-12-2018, 09:07 AM

Lost 3 if you include the cup tie.

It’s 3/3/3 overall.

The Modfather
31-12-2018, 09:20 AM
It’s 3/3/3 overall.

Think Lennon will be remembered in derbies for generally being good at home and poor at Tynecastle. That’s certainly how I see it so far.

jellybean
31-12-2018, 09:53 AM
There was a timely article in the programme last night
(running to several pages) about Mercer's takeover bid, the Hands off Hibs campaign, and the subsequent events which kept us alive. Those of us old enough to recall that period know how it feels to almost lose Hibs from our lives - it was brutal. The hour or so in the immediate aftermath of a derby defeat is a raw time, but as I said to my laddie we'll win and lose countless of these games in the future, as we have throughout our history. It is simply part of life as a fitba fan.

Things aren't great on the park right now, and there is nothing wrong with critical analysis of where we are going wrong, but when it spills over into Hibbies abusing each other then it has gone much too far and lost all perspective. Regardless of personal opinions, surely we can see that we're united by a love of the Hibs?

In total agreement with this post. Well said.

McD
31-12-2018, 08:13 PM
Your right, I was just saying to my wife last night that a lot of the posters that I use to see on here appear to have disappeared or no longer post. When I first registered it was a happier & funnier place to be. There was good natured repartee that made you laugh out loud. In the main that appears to be lost to a more angry, antagonist response to others views, with an increasing use of industrial language, all be it with use of strategic placement of an asterisk. Sad really.

Totally agree :agree:

the level of humourous interactions, genuinely funny comments, people lifting each other’s spirits, good natured conversations, and intelligent, sensible, and tolerant debate has decreased incredibly.

nowadays, there’s so much trolling, over-the-top reactions, people trying so hard to catch other people out, people going onto thread after thread to post the same repetitive shrieking, and to shout down others who don’t completely agree.

McD
31-12-2018, 08:15 PM
Think Lennon will be remembered in derbies for generally being good at home and poor at Tynecastle. That’s certainly how I see it so far.

Probably a fair assessment tbh

Connollys11
31-12-2018, 08:22 PM
Probably a fair assessment tbh

Like nearly every manager in our history haha

Tornadoes70
31-12-2018, 08:31 PM
My issue is there is certain posters that are waiting on us to lose so they can lay the boot in. After every single game, it's not even debate it's just spite.

:top marks

The same ones every single time then when they're called out for it a couple of posters pop up defending them. They're extremely fast on when we lose a goal and/or match and are very vocal in their criticism but are nowhere to be seen when we score or win.

Same ones every time.

matty_f
31-12-2018, 08:32 PM
Totally agree :agree:

the level of humourous interactions, genuinely funny comments, people lifting each other’s spirits, good natured conversations, and intelligent, sensible, and tolerant debate has decreased incredibly.

nowadays, there’s so much trolling, over-the-top reactions, people trying so hard to catch other people out, people going onto thread after thread to post the same repetitive shrieking, and to shout down others who don’t completely agree.

:agree: used to be able to have a great laugh on here in days gone by, nobody has a sense of humour anymore.

SRHibs
31-12-2018, 08:34 PM
:top marks

The same ones every single time then when they're called out for it a couple of posters pop up defending them. They're extremely fast on when we lose a goal and/or match and are very vocal in their criticism but are nowhere to be seen when we score or win.

Same ones every time.

Can you give some examples? There are definitely posters like myself who tend to be more...uh...realists (OK, we're negative ****s), but I've not seen many examples of posters who bask in our defeats and disappear when things are rosy.

Tornadoes70
31-12-2018, 08:47 PM
Can you give some examples? There are definitely posters like myself who tend to be more...uh...realists (OK, we're negative ****s), but I've not seen many examples of posters who bask in our defeats and disappear when things are rosy.

No. Wasn't referring to you though.