PDA

View Full Version : We're not the only ones with idiots in the stands

Togs91
29-12-2018, 07:47 PM
Not to take anything away from the vile behaviour of one of our supporters, but i hope both clubs are also working against this.

Check out @hibbymick’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/hibbymick/status/1079111354571808768?s=09

Johnny Clash
29-12-2018, 08:13 PM
It’s really hard to imagine the mentality of that weird looking throbber who had that shirt made. Sad beyond belief!

CMurdoch
30-12-2018, 01:45 AM
It’s really hard to imagine the mentality of that weird looking throbber who had that shirt made. Sad beyond belief!

Just another pathetic act of attention seeking
Youth is indeed wasted on the young

Pete
30-12-2018, 01:49 AM
Just another pathetic act of attention seeking
Youth is indeed wasted on the young

:agree:

If he were ever to come face to face with Mr Lennon and spend a bit of time with him, he would no doubt come away with a few life lessons.

highland hibbee
30-12-2018, 04:23 AM
Not to take anything away from the vile behaviour of one of our supporters, but i hope both clubs are also working against this.

Check out @hibbymick’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/hibbymick/status/1079111354571808768?s=09

3 taps

Pretty Boy
30-12-2018, 04:37 AM
He looks like an intelligent and well rounded chap.

Stuart93
30-12-2018, 04:42 AM
Wonder if there’ll be a media campaign to get this guy caught? Doubt it

SouthMoroccoStu
30-12-2018, 05:39 AM
Wonder if there’ll be a media campaign to get this guy caught? Doubt it

It’s in the Sun online

Sadly I’m not surprised

Walking down Easter Road 2 hours before ko, a group of late 20s hearts fans, swigging buckfast, shouting hang Neil Lennon, fenien Bar stewards etc.

Police on the other side of the street doing nothing about it!

Baffling

Fergos
30-12-2018, 05:51 AM
Send it to Mrs Budgie, looks like it was taken at ER so should br able to track the thing down.

TheHarpy76
30-12-2018, 06:09 AM
Let Hearts deal with their own idiots. I’d rather we concentrated on weeding out ours.

ManBearPig
30-12-2018, 07:03 AM
Prize clown a few rows in front of me in east who was shouting calling fans round him *****bags.

KdyHby
30-12-2018, 07:15 AM
His name and Facebook page is being circulated, oh he hates Hibs going by his photos

calumhibee1
30-12-2018, 07:22 AM
Prize clown a few rows in front of me in east who was shouting calling fans round him *****bags.

4 young laddies (anywhere between 16 and 20) ran down Albion Place before the game declaring the majority of Hibs fans were *****bags and that we should all have been helping to put Hearts **** in their place. They then proceeded to get really close to the police van and shout at the Hearts fans while deliberately being held back. Was really ****ing embarrassing.

calumhibee1
30-12-2018, 07:26 AM
His name and Facebook page is being circulated, oh he hates Hibs going by his photos

According to one of the Hibs fan pages on FB he’s one of these guys who tries really really hard for likes on social media and is a cringey *******.

I’m sure the money and time wasted on the T-shirt will be deemed worth it if he gets 30+ likes from 18 year old ‘ultras’.

hibbysam
30-12-2018, 11:06 AM
It’s in the Sun online

Sadly I’m not surprised

Walking down Easter Road 2 hours before ko, a group of late 20s hearts fans, swigging buckfast, shouting hang Neil Lennon, fenien Bar stewards etc.

Baffling

And singing the sash 😂

Moulin Yarns
30-12-2018, 02:39 PM
And singing the sash 😂

The police were singing the sash? Worse than I thought.

-Jonesy-
30-12-2018, 02:47 PM
According to one of the Hibs fan pages on FB he’s one of these guys who tries really really hard for likes on social media and is a cringey *******.

I’m sure the money and time wasted on the T-shirt will be deemed worth it if he gets 30+ likes from 18 year old ‘ultras’.

His Facebook page had gone dark this afternoon since being outed at about 1am this morning

Famous Fiver
30-12-2018, 02:55 PM
Seems pretty pleased with himself in the t shirt on the Facebook page reproduced in the Daily Record.

They have even named him.

Hibs4185
30-12-2018, 03:10 PM
A boy in the east last night must have watched about 10 minutes of the match and spent the other 80 with his back to the game having a sly fag.The guy with him tried to smash the seat every time a hibs player made a mistake. Absolute idiots.

Nakedmanoncrack
30-12-2018, 03:11 PM
Unfortunately a 17.30 KO Saturday night derby was always going to have a lot of unpleasantry.
I was up Easter Road at the chippy pre-match after only having 2 pints, and the level of drunkness, loud mouthed idiocy was noticeable.
Almost everyone passing had a bottle or can in hand, broken glass everywhere, all entirely predictable.
Post match we watched from the bus as a crowd of Polis ran the full distance from the top of Easter Road to Leith Walk to help deal with what was going on there, a mad night.

Hibernia&Alba
30-12-2018, 03:14 PM
Seems pretty pleased with himself in the t shirt on the Facebook page reproduced in the Daily Record.

The Hearts knuckle-dragger? He's going to regret being such a fud.

Pretty Boy
30-12-2018, 03:18 PM
Unfortunately a 17.30 KO Saturday night derby was always going to have a lot of unpleasantry.
I was up Easter Road at the chippy pre-match after only having 2 pints, and the level of drunkness, loud mouthed idiocy was noticeable.
Almost everyone passing had a bottle or can in hand, broken glass everywhere, all entirely predictable.
Post match we watched from the bus as a crowd of Polis ran the full distance from the top of Easter Road to Leith Walk to help deal with what was going on there, a mad night.

We're going to end up like Glasgow and have all our derbies at midday at the insistence of the Police.

The worst part of that is it's those of us who can enjoy a few beers without acting like utter tits that will suffer. The hard of thinking will just carry on regardless with the bevvying and lines starting at 6am rather than whatever time they started yesterday.

Nakedmanoncrack
30-12-2018, 03:21 PM
We're going to end up like Glasgow and have all our derbies at midday at the insistence of the Police.

The worst part of that is it's those of us who can enjoy a few beers without acting like utter tits that will suffer. The hard of thinking will just carry on regardless with the bevvying and lines starting at 6am rather than whatever time they started yesterday.

:agree:

That's where it's heading.

Hermit Crab
30-12-2018, 03:26 PM

His name and a picture of his season ticket (for section G) have been posted online.

H18 SFR
30-12-2018, 03:30 PM
His name and a picture of his season ticket (for section G) have been posted online.

Student season ticket as well, any self respecting university will punt him as well.

Hermit Crab
30-12-2018, 03:31 PM
Student season ticket as well, any self respecting university will punt him as well.

With views of that nature I expect so.

H18 SFR
30-12-2018, 04:12 PM
With views of that nature I expect so.

Having previously sat on a university disciplinary committee I've seen folk go for far less.

Crab apple
30-12-2018, 06:14 PM
Surprising that he’s let out the house each day let alone attending university.

emerald green
30-12-2018, 06:37 PM
It’s in the Sun online

Sadly I’m not surprised

Baffling

I wonder if that was the same crowd that were inside, and also hanging around outside Middleton's Bar, giving folk the evil eye and so-called hard man stares and passing comments as folk passed by?

BullsCloseHibs
30-12-2018, 08:43 PM
Surely that t shirt and the wearing of it comes under the bigoted behaviour code thing? Therefore arrestible.
Name and shame the Hearts ****.

CMurdoch
30-12-2018, 08:53 PM
Having previously sat on a university disciplinary committee I've seen folk go for far less.

Edinburgh College surely.

Someone on JKB saying he is an ahole and hopes he is banned.

Edinburgh City are gonna have lots of new fans.

Dashing Bob S
30-12-2018, 09:30 PM
The only thing that comes close to rivaling the petty, stupid and self centered behavior described in sheer crassness is the hysterical p*sh on threads like this that accompany it.

Barney McGrew
31-12-2018, 12:38 PM
Two days later, and despite his name and season ticket details having been plastered all over social media nothing appears to have been done.

Budge is clearly all mouth about wanting to stamp this kind of behaviour out at Tynecastle and no action. The guy caught on camera on Saturday night was identified and charged within hours yet this clown and whoever threw the coin at Lennon still get away scot free. Their sectarian element continues to grow, to the point where they are confident enough to chant songs about the pope and the IRA in large numbers, safe in the knowledge Hertz won’t do anything.

She might as well just admit that she’s happy for it to carry on, and Leeann needs to stop doing these joint statement/TV appearances until they actually take some action.

dchibs
31-12-2018, 01:04 PM

Herriot Watt wont.

James310
31-12-2018, 01:23 PM
It's distasteful, but what crime has he committed other than being a total ****?

Future17
31-12-2018, 01:33 PM
It's distasteful, but what crime has he committed other than being a total ****?

At minimum, it's a breach of the peace.

One Day
31-12-2018, 01:41 PM
The police were singing the sash? Worse than I thought.

No surprise there

beensaidbefore
31-12-2018, 02:01 PM
At minimum, it's a breach of the peace.

Is it really though? If I had a t-shirt saying hang trump, would that be breach of the peace? Not saying I agree or think it's clever, but breach of the peace??

Since90+2
31-12-2018, 02:05 PM
Is it really though? If I had a t-shirt saying hang trump, would that be breach of the peace? Not saying I agree or think it's clever, but breach of the peace??

I'd imagine that having a t shirt effectively saying someone should be murdered does fall under some form of criminal charge.

Zazu62
31-12-2018, 02:10 PM
I find it sad that someone would want to put that on a t-shirt and walk about wearing it.

beensaidbefore
31-12-2018, 02:14 PM
I'd imagine that having a t shirt effectively saying someone should be murdered does fall under some form of criminal charge.

I understand your point, but I think it's a bit of a grey area. If he was producing these for sale etc I couod see it, but effectively the guy has written a crappy message on his own t-shirt. No denying he is a cock, but not sure the message was ever meant as a direct threat to NL, or as a real motivator for other to act out the message. For that reason I think BOP is perhaps a bit harsh.

beensaidbefore
31-12-2018, 02:15 PM
I find it sad that someone would want to put that on a t-shirt and walk about wearing it.

I do agree with that.

HibeeHibernian4
31-12-2018, 03:00 PM

Some of them probably started at 6am on Saturday too.

DaveF
31-12-2018, 03:35 PM
Two days later, and despite his name and season ticket details having been plastered all over social media nothing appears to have been done.

Budge is clearly all mouth about wanting to stamp this kind of behaviour out at Tynecastle and no action. The guy caught on camera on Saturday night was identified and charged within hours yet this clown and whoever threw the coin at Lennon still get away scot free. Their sectarian element continues to grow, to the point where they are confident enough to chant songs about the pope and the IRA in large numbers, safe in the knowledge Hertz won’t do anything.

She might as well just admit that she’s happy for it to carry on, and Leeann needs to stop doing these joint statement/TV appearances until they actually take some action.

I'd like to know from our fans reps if this has been brought up with hearts given that spirit of cooperation which came about after the last derby.

I suspect we will do nothing though. Soft touches as per.

silverhibee
31-12-2018, 03:52 PM

Is it a offence to have that slogan on a t shirt.

silverhibee
31-12-2018, 04:01 PM
I'd like to know from our fans reps if this has been brought up with hearts given that spirit of cooperation which came about after the last derby.

I suspect we will do nothing though. Soft touches as per.

Even Lennon has gave up backing our corner, if our board are not going to stand up for things then they will continually be walked over, Budge made a c*** of us at the last Derby with the joint statement nonsense and knows that we won't make a peep over the one at the weekend, whatever happened to the tough talking Leeann Dempster who seems to have lost her tongue recently.

Speedy
31-12-2018, 04:09 PM

Agree.

However, I also think it's sad that people get their knickers in a twist about it to the exist they want him arrested and thrown out of university. No real harm done.

Hermit Crab
31-12-2018, 06:55 PM

Causing unnecessary alarm and distress to other members of the public.

Leith Green
31-12-2018, 07:10 PM

Surely its deemed a hate crime?

Connollys11
31-12-2018, 07:26 PM

I'm sure you wouldn't be saying that if it was a hibs fan wearing a hibs top with "up the ra" on the back of it lol

Connollys11
31-12-2018, 07:27 PM
Surely its deemed a hate crime?

It certainly is my friend it's wishing a man's death based on his irish heritage. Saying that we've had this anti irish racism directed at us for centuries so a doubt anything will be done.

silverhibee
31-12-2018, 07:42 PM
I'm sure you wouldn't be saying that if it was a hibs fan wearing a hibs top with "up the ra" on the back of it lol

He would be a bam as well.

But would he be committing a crime.

beensaidbefore
31-12-2018, 07:54 PM
Causing unnecessary alarm and distress to other members of the public.

I didn't really though, did it? Distress and alarm😂

Sir David Gray
31-12-2018, 08:03 PM

Incitement to commit murder.

Leith Green
31-12-2018, 08:06 PM
Im actually amazed that a fully grown adult would go through all the processes involved in getting to the point of wearing that tee-shirt to the match and not talk himself out of doing it. I genuinely feel sorry for the boy , he must have the mental age of a 7 year old laddie

CMurdoch
31-12-2018, 08:09 PM
It certainly is my friend it's wishing a man's death based on his irish heritage. Saying that we've had this anti irish racism directed at us for centuries so a doubt anything will be done.

You need to chill with the constant 200 years/centuries chat.
Other than half wits at the fitba and in dodgy boozers where is this Anti Irish racism you speak of, happening in Edinburgh in the here and now.
None of the Irish folk i know hang about thicko folk or communities so Anti Irish racism in Scotland is alien to them unless they are into football.

Nameless
31-12-2018, 08:13 PM
Is it really though? If I had a t-shirt saying hang trump, would that be breach of the peace? Not saying I agree or think it's clever, but breach of the peace??The message + context = crime.
Is wearing that t-shirt in your own home a crime - no.
Is wearing that t-shirt in a place where masses of Hibs fans will see it a crime - yes, as it is likely to lead to a Breach of The Peace.

The precedent for this was set when a man was arrested for wearing a t-shirt celebrating the death of a police officer in Manchester last year.

Sent from my G3311 using Tapatalk

joebakerforever
31-12-2018, 08:25 PM

Sorry to disappoint, try reading this from EEN:-

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/crime/hearts-condemn-fan-who-wore-hang-neil-lennon-t-shirt-to-easter-road-derby-1-4850367

IMO both Budge & Dempster are trying to rid both sides of those clowns that cause all the problems.

Connollys11
31-12-2018, 08:35 PM
You need to chill with the constant 200 years/centuries chat.
Other than half wits at the fitba and in dodgy boozers where is this Anti Irish racism you speak of, happening in Edinburgh in the here and now.
None of the Irish folk i know hang about thicko folk or communities so Anti Irish racism in Scotland is alien to them unless they are into football.

Catholics (irish) only just got equal employment rights with the indigenous Scottish protestant people 17 years ago. How often are these songs sung about being up to their knees in our blood in front of millions of people on live television and the broadcasters don't even turn it down? The treatment of our gaffer in this country has been nothing short of appalling also. As a Roman Catholic of irish descent myself I've been subjected to nothing but bile and hate since I can remember. Edinburgh has been a unionist anti irish enclave for centuries. Look at the trouble our clubs forefathers had to go through just to get our club recognised in this city never mind this country. The irish Catholic population in this country will always be looked on as second class citizens and it's absolutely disgusting. You might think up to your knees in fenian blood is just a bit of banter but I think it's nothing more than a racist chant.

Barney McGrew
31-12-2018, 08:40 PM
Sorry to disappoint, try reading this from EEN:-

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/crime/hearts-condemn-fan-who-wore-hang-neil-lennon-t-shirt-to-easter-road-derby-1-4850367

IMO both Budge & Dempster are trying to rid both sides of those clowns that cause all the problems.

Took them a day and a half to chuck out a comment from an unnamed ‘spokesperson’. That’s not the actions of someone who’s really bothered, is it?

And yet again, the silence on the songs coming from their end is deafening......

SRHibs
31-12-2018, 08:46 PM
Catholics (irish) only just got equal employment rights with the indigenous Scottish protestant people 17 years ago. How often are these songs sung about being up to their knees in our blood in front of millions of people on live television and the broadcasters don't even turn it down? The treatment of our gaffer in this country has been nothing short of appalling also. As a Roman Catholic of irish descent myself I've been subjected to nothing but bile and hate since I can remember. Edinburgh has been a unionist anti irish enclave for centuries. Look at the trouble our clubs forefathers had to go through just to get our club recognised in this city never mind this country. The irish Catholic population in this country will always be looked on as second class citizens and it's absolutely disgusting. You might think up to your knees in fenian blood is just a bit of banter but I think it's nothing more than a racist chant.

I'm not trying to be a dick here, but can you give me some examples of non-football related sectarianism you've had to endure? From my perspective religion is, and always has been, a complete non-factor. No Irish/Catholic friend of mine has ever mentioned any type of abuse outside of football games.

CMurdoch
31-12-2018, 08:46 PM

You need to stop seeing life in Scotland through the prism of Scottish football. It's totally warped your sense of reality.
Please read my post again and answer the question I asked you without referring to football.

Nameless
31-12-2018, 08:57 PM
Catholics (irish) only just got equal employment rights with the indigenous Scottish protestant people 17 years ago.

On face value that seems to be either a lie or a twisting of the facts - if you can be bothered, gonna post a link to something that supports this statement, as I'd be interested to learn more.

SRHibs
31-12-2018, 09:02 PM
The tricolour belongs at Easter road though. See this argument always splits our support cause the way you view the tricolour is the way I view that green n white union Jack! Our supports the most confused bunch in Scotland by a mile. Tricolours and up the ra chants one week then green union jacks and we are the people chants the next 😂😂

We're not "confused". There's no reason to expect our support to have any consistent views other than "I like Hibs". We should be made up of fans of all different political/racial/etc backgrounds. That said, there's no need to display any of these political values at ER.

Joe6-2
31-12-2018, 09:12 PM

He does look weird

Connollys11
31-12-2018, 09:13 PM
We're not "confused". There's no reason to expect our support to have any consistent views other than "I like Hibs". We should be made up of fans of all different political/racial/etc backgrounds. That said, there's no need to display any of these political values at ER.
Totally agree ma man

Connollys11
31-12-2018, 09:19 PM
On face value that seems to be either a lie or a twisting of the facts - if you can be bothered, gonna post a link to something that supports this statement, as I'd be interested to learn more.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.scotsman.com/news/politics/study-reveals-scotland-s-sectarian-equality-gap-1-4409787/amp

You would think in a country like Scotland that we would be more enlightened than the north east of Ireland a country that devides the two communities with a 20ft fence.

Nameless
31-12-2018, 09:48 PM
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.scotsman.com/news/politics/study-reveals-scotland-s-sectarian-equality-gap-1-4409787/amp

You would think in a country like Scotland that we would be more enlightened than the north east of Ireland a country that devides the two communities with a 20ft fence.Nowhere in that article does it mention the legislation that you cited in your previous post- what was the name of the Act and I'll find it on the Scottish Govt website?

joebakerforever
31-12-2018, 10:09 PM
Took them a day and a half to chuck out a comment from an unnamed ‘spokesperson’. That’s not the actions of someone who’s really bothered, is it?

And yet again, the silence on the songs coming from their end is deafening......

So the actual article states:-

Hearts have moved to condemn the offensive t-shirt incident, adding that ‘appropriate action’ will be taken following the completion of an investigation.

A club spokesperson said: “Heart of Midlothian condemns the entirely unacceptable actions of this individual.

“As soon as this matter was brought to the club’s attention an investigation was started, and once completed, appropriate action will be taken.”

Perhaps you chose to ignore the part in bold (i.e."as soon as....") or do you dispute this and can back it up with hard evidence?

Suggest you gie it a rest, and get off your moral high horse and accept there are clowns on both sides tarnishing their clubs by their actions.

Barney McGrew
31-12-2018, 10:18 PM
So the actual article states:-

Hearts have moved to condemn the offensive t-shirt incident, adding that ‘appropriate action’ will be taken following the completion of an investigation.

A club spokesperson said: “Heart of Midlothian condemns the entirely unacceptable actions of this individual.

“As soon as this matter was brought to the club’s attention an investigation was started, and once completed, appropriate action will be taken.”

Perhaps you chose to ignore the part in bold (i.e."as soon as....") or do you dispute this and can back it up with hard evidence?

Suggest you gie it a rest, and get off your moral high horse and accept there are clowns on both sides tarnishing their clubs by their actions.

High horse :LOL:

The guy’s picture, name and season ticket details were on social media on Saturday night - why did it take them to lunchtime today to comment? It didn’t exactly require Hercule Poirot to suss out who he is and what he did.

There are indeed clowns on both sides, the difference is how the respective clubs have dealt with it. Hibs, pretty much immediately condemned it and the guy was huckled within hours of the final whistle. Hertz took a day and a half to say anything and still haven’t mentioned the sectarian singing, which Budge was very quick to have a go at Celtic about previously.

CMurdoch
31-12-2018, 10:51 PM
High horse :LOL:

The guy’s picture, name and season ticket details were on social media on Saturday night - why did it take them to lunchtime today to comment? It didn’t exactly require Hercule Poirot to suss out who he is and what he did.

There are indeed clowns on both sides, the difference is how the respective clubs have dealt with it. Hibs, pretty much immediately condemned it and the guy was huckled within hours of the final whistle. Hertz took a day and a half to say anything and still haven’t mentioned the sectarian singing, which Budge was very quick to have a go at Celtic about previously.

The Hibs guy being huckled would have had nothing to do with Hibs chasing it.
There would have been a melt down of bosses and phones at Police Scotland immediately after the incident.
Can't believe the guy got out the ground!

Sammy7nil
02-01-2019, 02:56 PM
Surprising that he’s let out the house each day let alone attending university.

Uni ???
He looks about 42 what a hard paper round he must have had.

Famous Fiver
02-01-2019, 03:08 PM
Certainly looks like a 'mature' student.

Wonder who is funding his studies and what their reaction is?

We can only speculate about what studies he is undertaking.

Hopefully some investigative journalism will further enlighten us.

Elephant Stone
02-01-2019, 03:29 PM
I'm not trying to be a dick here, but can you give me some examples of non-football related sectarianism you've had to endure? From my perspective religion is, and always has been, a complete non-factor. No Irish/Catholic friend of mine has ever mentioned any type of abuse outside of football games.

It exists and it is largely tolerated. I'd bet that it is a thousand times worse in the west of the country but it exists here as well. Some of it might come from football-related sectarianism but when it spills over into every day life it's not simply football related. I had to listen to my manager at work talking about all the things he'd like to see happen to Neil Lennon, who was apparently a taig who deserved to die. I have heard the phrase "so and so's face is like a map of Ireland" countless times; Irish people being referred to as pikeys, gypos, tarriers and fenians, again, this is from people at work.

Then there's the less obvious, snide comments that you get, things like "oh you went to that school? (a Catholic school) I could have guessed you were one of them" with a wink and a smile, this was from a person I had just met. I don't understand how you can doubt that this exists. Loads and loads of people are racist/bigoted/intolerant, there are obviously going to be people who take issue with Irish people and Catholic people in the same way they are against Polish people or Muslim people.

It's also a bit of a kick in the teeth that any sort of racism or antisemitism at football is generally treated very, very seriously (the single Hibs fan who shouted at Dikamona was national news) but outright bigotry in this form every week for Rangers/Hearts is tolerated. That's not a football related kick in the teeth, that's a societal one.

Mac_17
03-01-2019, 10:22 AM
Tbh there has been a lot of crowd trouble all over Scotland this year and last. The problem I have whether its us or any other team, is when the media get hold of it they make out that each occasion is just one team that does it.

Like we do something and All of hibs are out of order.
Aberdeen do something and all of Aberdeen are out of order.

Each occasion the media seem to turn a blind eye to all the previous stuff from other clubs.

The only teams who are given leeway, are the glasgow pair. Both of them have probably the worst record in Scotland for trouble but recently all you hear about is how great they are.

chinaman
04-01-2019, 10:16 AM
It exists and it is largely tolerated. I'd bet that it is a thousand times worse in the west of the country but it exists here as well. Some of it might come from football-related sectarianism but when it spills over into every day life it's not simply football related. I had to listen to my manager at work talking about all the things he'd like to see happen to Neil Lennon, who was apparently a taig who deserved to die. I have heard the phrase "so and so's face is like a map of Ireland" countless times; Irish people being referred to as pikeys, gypos, tarriers and fenians, again, this is from people at work.

Then there's the less obvious, snide comments that you get, things like "oh you went to that school? (a Catholic school) I could have guessed you were one of them" with a wink and a smile, this was from a person I had just met. I don't understand how you can doubt that this exists. Loads and loads of people are racist/bigoted/intolerant, there are obviously going to be people who take issue with Irish people and Catholic people in the same way they are against Polish people or Muslim people.

It's also a bit of a kick in the teeth that any sort of racism or antisemitism at football is generally treated very, very seriously (the single Hibs fan who shouted at Dikamona was national news) but outright bigotry in this form every week for Rangers/Hearts is tolerated. That's not a football related kick in the teeth, that's a societal one.
great post

Keith_M
04-01-2019, 11:22 AM

I'm not trying to triviailize any genuine issues but you do know that people in the West of Scotland actually discuss similar prejudice when applying for a job with many of the local councils if you're not a Roman Catholic?

There used to be a council in the Airdrie/Coarbridge area that was actually disbanded because of the nepotism and corruption that was often accused of favouring the largely catholic Coatbridge over the the largely Protestant Airdrie.

A common joke about Glasgow City Council at the time Celtc played in the UEFA cup final was about who was going to do all the work while the Celtc Fans were all in Seville.

A lot of the discussion is light-hearted, and comes from both sides of the religious divide, but some of the logic is hard to argue with (e.g. Glasgow City Council provosts of the last 30+ years). Now, I'll leave it to others to decide how accurate all these jokes/complaints are, but I'm not convinced there's any more or less evidence for the various stories about anti-Catholic or anti-Irish prejudice in Scotland... but there are a lot of people with an axe to grind in that regard.

-------------

For a bit of background about myself: I am neither Catholic nor Protestant, so have no axe to grind either way.

Killiehibbie
04-01-2019, 11:42 AM
I'm not trying to triviailize any genuine issues but you do know that people in the West of Scotland actually discuss similar prejudice when applying for a job with many of the local councils if you're not a Roman Catholic?

There used to be a council in the Airdrie/Coarbridge area that was actually disbanded because of the nepotism and corruption that was often accused of favouring the largely catholic Coatbridge over the the largely Protestant Airdrie.

A common joke about Glasgow City Council at the time Celtc played in the UEFA cup final was about who was going to do all the work while the Celtc Fans were all in Seville.

A lot of the discussion is light-hearted, and comes from both sides of the religious divide, but some of the logic is hard to argue with (e.g. Glasgow City Council provosts of the last 30+ years). Now, I'll leave it to others to decide how accurate all these jokes/complaints are, but I'm not convinced there's any more or less evidence for the various stories about anti-Catholic or anti-Irish prejudice in Scotland... but there are a lot of people with an axe to grind in that regard.

-------------

For a bit of background about myself: I am neither Catholic nor Protestant, so have no axe to grind either way.

I think Monklands got a not guilty on religious discrimination because it was easier to put it down to nepotism.

I once worked with a guy who told me he didn't get one of 24 jobs going with Glasgow council because they went to 23 catholics and an Asian.

Keith_M
04-01-2019, 11:48 AM
I think Monklands got a not guilty on religious discrimination because it was easier to put it down to nepotism.

I once worked with a guy who told me he didn't get one of 24 jobs going with Glasgow council because they went to 23 catholics and an Asian.

-- "Who's going to do all the council work in Glasgow when Celtc are in Seville?"

---- "The Rangers Fans"

-- "What, all seven of them?"

Killiehibbie
04-01-2019, 11:50 AM
-- "Who's going to do all the council work in Glasgow when Celtc are in Seville?"

---- "The Rangers Fans"

-- "What, all seven of them?"
Hi Ho. Maybe they were filling the diversity quota

Danderhall Hibs
04-01-2019, 12:18 PM

Who did the Asian suppport?

silverhibee
04-01-2019, 10:43 PM
Who did the Asian suppport?

Partick Thistle. :greengrin

Cheers for last week. :aok: