PDA

View Full Version : Shaw

TheMentalHibees
29-12-2018, 07:21 PM
Not good enough. Fair enough he’s young, but we’ve seen Riordan, Fletcher, Griffiths, O’Connor and Cummings all performing better at that age than him. Shrugged off the ball easily by the Hearts rugby players tonight and disappears far too often. He’ll score goals but not at this level. We need better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thegreenside
29-12-2018, 07:22 PM
If you are going to have a pop at anyone shaws not fair or justified

bingo70
29-12-2018, 07:24 PM
Agreed.

It’s not nice singling out a young player but let’s be honest, there’s absolutely no chance of him ever being good enough for Hibs.

I think he could have a decent career in football, probably at a championship club or lower league premiership club but there’s no way he’s a striker good enough for us.

supermcginn
29-12-2018, 07:27 PM
Never ever good enough, not his fault but doesn't have a future here if we want to progress.

Allant1981
29-12-2018, 07:29 PM
Not good enough but he shouldn't be in the position of having to play most weeks, we should have had another couple of strikers signed in the summer and then brought him through gradually in cup games etc

.Sean.
29-12-2018, 07:33 PM
He’s soft as ***** and makes Alex Harris look brave.

He’s had more than enough game time to show what he’s all about on a consistent basis and if you want to compare him against similar homegrown strikers we’ve had as first picks at a similar age to him he’s miles behind O’Connor, Riordan, Fletcher, even Cummings who apparantly only scored against pish. Bang average as per. Why should he be cut slack just cause we brought him through the youths, I appreciate we want to see academy players do well but he’s just not got it.

He’s not particularly quick or a good enough reader of the game to make up for it, nor is he clinical enough.

Im not blaming him as such either, was clear as day we needed strikers in the summer so he’s playing as we have literally nobody else to fill the jumper. Simon Murray was 10X effective which is the nippy thing.

Thegreenside
29-12-2018, 07:34 PM
Slag off shaw, Kamberi played like ronaldi

Unseen work
29-12-2018, 07:35 PM
Was actually wanting Jamie Gullan to get a chance tonight.

Think he is a bit braver on the ball, skillfull and will run at folk

Cod Boy
29-12-2018, 07:36 PM
Problem being Shaw starts then isn’t quoted behind gullan Allan and mcclaren. Then gets a start he was told a couple of months back he wasn’t up to it.

hfc rd
29-12-2018, 07:36 PM
I agree. He isn’t good enough. Nothing personal against the lad and I hope he goes on and has a very good career but can’t see it being at Hibs.

wookie70
29-12-2018, 07:37 PM
Looks decent to me when the ball is rolling but that really isn't our game this year. Long balls or balls drilled into heavily marked strikers who have no option to lay it off because we don't have midfield runner. If we do get the ball wide we hammer it in or hit the first defender. My biggest worry with Shaw is he looks like he is following Flo and the head is going down. If we had bought another striker in the summer he could have been given a rest but for some reason we thought 4 including Boyle was enough

SChibs
29-12-2018, 07:37 PM
Nothing to gain from slating the boy. He tries his best but he does score goals usually

Connollys11
29-12-2018, 07:38 PM
Totally agree. Ross Caldwell was better than Shaw and look where he's playing now. He needs binned.

cabbage_88
29-12-2018, 07:45 PM
Feel a bit sorry for Shaw, we are having to rely on him nearly every week when at the end of the day he's just a 20 year old laddie.

He hasn't been great at all of late but we shouldn't have to be relying on him.

All the strikers have been absolutely woeful. If we had a Scott Allan in our team I've no doubt all 3 would have bagged a lot more this season and would have much more confidence

SChibs
29-12-2018, 07:47 PM
Totally agree. Ross Caldwell was better than Shaw and look where he's playing now. He needs binned.

Disagree as Shaw has scored 10 times as many goals as Caldwell has for Hibs

supermcginn
29-12-2018, 07:49 PM
Disagree as Shaw has scored 10 times as many goals as Caldwell has for Hibs

Caldwell scored a winner at tynecastle, and was more physical. Shaw wont be here much longer

3pm
29-12-2018, 07:50 PM
Shaw was the better out of the two of them tonight.

Allant1981
29-12-2018, 07:51 PM
Shaw was the better out of the two of them tonight.

They were both gash and both as bad as each other

MWHIBBIES
29-12-2018, 07:51 PM
Caldwell scored a winner at tynecastle, and was more physical. Shaw wont be here much longer

Caldwell wasn't close to Shaw. Absolute pish

Swedish hibee
29-12-2018, 07:57 PM
I hoped he'd be on the weights this summer and come back more stronger.

supermcginn
29-12-2018, 07:58 PM

I think your opinion is pish. Shaw isnt up to it im afraid

yonder1875
29-12-2018, 07:58 PM
Unfortunately nowhere near the standard required. Anyone who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves on.

supermcginn
29-12-2018, 07:59 PM
Unfortunately nowhere near the standard required. Anyone who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves on.

Correct

Ozyhibby
29-12-2018, 07:59 PM
With better service Shaw will be fine.

Unseen work
29-12-2018, 08:00 PM
If he played for an opposition team, would you be worried about him?

Borderhibbie76
29-12-2018, 08:03 PM
That decision not to sign a 3rd experienced striker has haunted us since August - dreadful mistake by either Lennon and/or the board. That and the lack of a midfield has been our undoing all season

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The Harp Awakes
Shaw was not the problem tonight. I actually thought he did well in the first half. We created nothing from midfield which is where the game was lost. However, I don't think he is good enough to be starting. Massive investment needed in the team in January or else it's bottom 6 and underachievment yet again.

DetroitHibs
How about the boards decision not to back Lennon when we clearly said he wanted more players in the summer and got nowt. Rather than blame a young laddie that should have been eased in to the first team slowly, we thought starting the season with two forwards and a young laddie acceptable. In all honesty, a team of our structure and expectations should have had four forwards and Shaw.

MWHIBBIES
29-12-2018, 08:11 PM
I think your opinion is pish. Shaw isnt up to it im afraid

He might not be up to it but he is 10 times the player Caldwell ever was.

Ozyhibby
29-12-2018, 08:12 PM
How about the boards decision not to back Lennon when we clearly said he wanted more players in the summer and got nowt. Rather than blame a young laddie that should have been eased in to the first team slowly, we thought starting the season with two forwards and a young laddie acceptable. In all honesty, a team of our structure and expectations should have had four forwards and Shaw.

100% correct. Selling McGinn and banking the cash is typical Petrie. We were told no more capital projects but still the money never gets reinvested on the pitch.

GreenCastle
29-12-2018, 08:17 PM
I actually thought he was fine in spells also BUT ....

SHAW v BERRA....Berra knows he has him in his pocket - We have seen this in previous derbies.

We need a Grant Holt type who actually wins headers against Berra and some speed off the flick downs. Bit old school but with no width / pace or creativity we had to add.

Both strikers had limited decent service tonight - we are needing someone who can open up defences and the last guy we had Allen - is sitting picking up his wages at Celtic - couldn't even get on their bench today.

HIGHLANDLEITHER
30-12-2018, 11:30 AM
He is 20 and technically scored at Tynecastle but for an incompetent referee. He will bulk up and has a chance . Fortunately the people who will decide that won’t call him pish if they decide not to give him a contract.

Hibiza
30-12-2018, 11:39 AM
Agreed.

It’s not nice singling out a young player but let’s be honest, there’s absolutely no chance of him ever being good enough for Hibs.

I think he could have a decent career in football, probably at a championship club or lower league premiership club but there’s no way he’s a striker good enough for us.

:top marks :flag:

Gmack7
30-12-2018, 11:55 AM
Agreed.

lower level premiership, like a team sitting 8th? I agree though his next contract wont be at Hibs

GreenArmyyy!
30-12-2018, 11:56 AM
He might be young but he really isn’t good enough. We need two strikers in January.

NORTHERNHIBBY
30-12-2018, 11:58 AM
Had we not sold Murray, I think that he would be picked ahead of Shaw.

MWHIBBIES
30-12-2018, 01:15 PM
He is 20 and technically scored at Tynecastle but for an incompetent referee. He will bulk up and has a chance . Fortunately the people who will decide that won’t call him pish if they decide not to give him a contract.

I meant Caldwell wasn't close to Shaw's level. Shaw is much better.

Since90+2
30-12-2018, 01:17 PM
Had we not sold Murray, I think that he would be picked ahead of Shaw.

100% I'd have preferred Murray last night to Shaw.

Brightside
30-12-2018, 01:20 PM
So based on hibs net we are now looking to replace. Olly, Hanlon, Darren, Lewie, Mallan, Slivka, Hyndman, Milligan, Horgan, Boyle, Kamberi and Maclaren. Going to be a busy January window.

blackpoolhibs
30-12-2018, 01:21 PM
When was the last time we has 4 senior strikers?

rcarter1
30-12-2018, 01:25 PM
Time will tell, but I recall Steven Fletcher was never going to make it at Hibs, and wasnt developing quickly enough.

Confidence, a team that is playing well, support from team mates, coaching staff and playing in formations that fit. If all these were to go in Olly's favour he could suddenly being called up for a Scotland Cap. Dont think its sensible to write off players - Celtic fans were giving Jamie Forrest dogs abuse a few years ago for being light weight, inconsistent, and a coward. Same for Kamberi. There is an excellent player in there, but we arent seeing it.

Robbo6-2
30-12-2018, 01:28 PM
I thought Shaw was actually decent last night. He didn't give the ball away and fed off scraps all game. He won fair share of headers too. Unlucky with shot off the bar too.

He did offer more of a goal threat than Kamberi.

Shrekko
30-12-2018, 01:33 PM
Unreal to have fans writing a player off at 20. Utterly incredible.

Compare that to the defence of Kamberi on the other thread where it’s everyone else’s fault but his.

There’s been very little to choose between the pair this year and I actually think Shaw’s all round game has been better.

truehibernian
30-12-2018, 01:57 PM
When was the last time we has 4 senior strikers?

Cummings, Keatings, Holt and Graham - Boyle also played as striker.

blackpoolhibs
30-12-2018, 02:49 PM
Cummings, Keatings, Holt and Graham - Boyle also played as striker.

Cummings was still a boy like Shaw if you believe the argument that Shaw is still a development player, and Graham was pish. Although you are right, we had 4 forwards, and apparently you are not allowed to count Boyle as a forward if you have the opinion we are short up front. :greengrin

Vault Boy
30-12-2018, 03:17 PM
Unlucky not to score with a great strike. He's got bags of potential. Can't agree at all.

JimBHibees
31-12-2018, 08:08 AM
I thought Shaw was actually decent last night. He didn't give the ball away and fed off scraps all game. He won fair share of headers too. Unlucky with shot off the bar too.

He did offer more of a goal threat than Kamberi.

That was my view thought he did ok and held the ball up well on occasions. Very unlucky with a snapshot which hit the bar and also had a header he couldnt quite reach first half. Not sure why he is getting criticised at all. Could do with a goal that is for sure.

eastcoasthibby
31-12-2018, 12:07 PM
100% correct. Selling McGinn and banking the cash is typical Petrie. We were told no more capital projects but still the money never gets reinvested on the pitch.

Investing in a new indoor pitch at east mains at the cost of probably decent wages for 4 or 5 players that are desperately needed on the pitch and remember we keep being told "having great training facilities attracts better players" ..!!?? Really ....right now we need to see the quality on the pitch.

The 90+2
31-12-2018, 12:21 PM
Time will tell, but I recall Steven Fletcher was never going to make it at Hibs, and wasnt developing quickly enough.

Confidence, a team that is playing well, support from team mates, coaching staff and playing in formations that fit. If all these were to go in Olly's favour he could suddenly being called up for a Scotland Cap. Dont think its sensible to write off players - Celtic fans were giving Jamie Forrest dogs abuse a few years ago for being light weight, inconsistent, and a coward. Same for Kamberi. There is an excellent player in there, but we arent seeing it.

Are you kidding? Fletcher was that highly regarded that he was better than any of the golden generation before him.

WhileTheChief..
31-12-2018, 12:26 PM
So based on hibs net we are now looking to replace. Olly, Hanlon, Darren, Lewie, Mallan, Slivka, Hyndman, Milligan, Horgan, Boyle, Kamberi and Maclaren. Going to be a busy January window.

May as well bin Lennon if we’re replacing most of the squad, he’d just sign useless huddies anyways.

I’d probably tell Leanne that her time is up too.

And Petrie. Obviously.

500miles
31-12-2018, 12:31 PM
Are you kidding? Fletcher was that highly regarded that he was better than any of the golden generation before him.

By the coaching staff. Fletcher got pelters on here for being one footed, not clincial enough and not strong/ good enough in the air for his size.

hibsbollah
31-12-2018, 12:37 PM
By the coaching staff. Fletcher got pelters on here for being one footed, not clincial enough and not strong/ good enough in the air for his size.

Correct. So tiresome to read. Was it filled rolls or another poster who used to moan about Fletcher? ( I accused Blackpool of being the Fletcher hater once before and had to apologise :faf:

GreenOnions
31-12-2018, 12:43 PM
That was my view thought he did ok and held the ball up well on occasions. Very unlucky with a snapshot which hit the bar and also had a header he couldnt quite reach first half. Not sure why he is getting criticised at all. Could do with a goal that is for sure.

I agree with this. It's quite difficult at the moment to tell how well our strikers are playing because the service they receive is so poor. However, I thought Shaw was very much the better of the two strikers against Hearts. he linked up quite well on a few occasions with Horgan in the first half, nearly got on the end of a cross which was marginally too high, won more headers with his back to goal than Kamberi and had that snap shot which was pretty close and demonstrated real strikers' instinct. I also thought he held the ball up better than Kamberi on the night.

Again - the comparisons are not totally straightforward as kamberi was up against Berra all night which was a much more difficult proposition than Shaw's markers.

I think Ollie still shows a lot of promise and ability - as does Kamberi. I'm not saying we don't need another striker but it would be to complement Kamberi and Shaw rather than to replace them IMO.

Lancs Harp
31-12-2018, 12:54 PM
I would agree that Shaw shows potential but in an ideal situation his introduction to the first team would be a bit slower with less game time, the odd start and a few apps here and there from the bench. I dont think he's ready for the amount of time hes actually getting on the park and thats solely due to our current misfiring forward line and a lack of working options. I dont buy he needs more game time to improve, in one sense that of course is true but what are we supposed to do wait a season, say until he's ready? IMO at present he isnt a week in week out starter based on ability rather than need.

The 90+2
31-12-2018, 12:58 PM

Sorry, wasn’t around at the time. I enjoyed him when he was here, he even done a job under Mixu target man which ironically completely changed his game for the most of his career.

My_Wife_Camille
31-12-2018, 01:15 PM
Sorry, wasn’t around at the time. I enjoyed him when he was here, he even done a job under Mixu target man which ironically completely changed his game for the most of his career.
aye you were

The 90+2
31-12-2018, 01:45 PM
aye you were

Eh? I can assure you I wasn’t on this message board when SF came through mate.

Onion
31-12-2018, 02:01 PM
Not good enough. He's at best Championship standard but might struggle to hold down a place even in that league.

NORTHERNHIBBY
31-12-2018, 02:19 PM
Shaw has potential IMO but it's not potential that we need right now.

BILLYHIBS
31-12-2018, 02:26 PM
Unrelated I know but how good were Steven Fletcher and Benji in the 2007 League Cup Final?

What a HIBS line up as wel!

Happy Days :greengrin

supermcginn
31-12-2018, 05:38 PM
Unrelated I know but how good were Steven Fletcher and Benji in the 2007 League Cup Final?

2 unbelievable players. Legends for 2007 final

ThomasAgyepong
31-12-2018, 06:02 PM
Cummings was still a boy like Shaw if you believe the argument that Shaw is still a development player, and Graham was pish. Although you are right, we had 4 forwards, and apparently you are not allowed to count Boyle as a forward if you have the opinion we are short up front. :greengrin

Harsh to say that he was ‘pish’

Connollys11
31-12-2018, 06:04 PM
Harsh to say that he was ‘pish’

He wasn't good either 😂😂

ThomasAgyepong
31-12-2018, 06:09 PM
He wasn't good either 😂😂

I know that, he was bang average. But not ‘pish’

Connollys11
31-12-2018, 06:09 PM
I know that, he was bang average. But not ‘pish’

Just below average pal haha

Mibbes Aye
31-12-2018, 08:33 PM
I think it's fair to say there's a number of posters on here who don't get to games. I think it's also fair to say the vast number don't get to dev games.

I don't get to as many games as I would like but I reckon I've seen Oli in as many dev games as I have first-team games.

We have had no shortage of attacking players who could score for fun or set up goals for fun in the dev team over the years - Damon Gray, Kurtis Byrne et al.

I'm usually cautious about players coming through - but Shaw looks technically gifted enough to thrive at our level.

Paul Hanlon got blooded at a slightly later age than Oli, got benched for periods before making himself a starter. Shaw is good enough too, but still learning.

What can't be learnt is natural technique. Rather like Fletcher, Oli has that in spades.

He will do well for us and all things being equal will probably move onwards and upwards IMO.

Billy Whizz
31-12-2018, 08:35 PM
I think it's fair to say there's a number of posters on here who don't get to games. I think it's also fair to say the vast number don't get to dev games.

I don't get to as many games as I would like but I reckon I've seen Oli in as many dev games as I have first-team games.

We have had no shortage of attacking players who could score for fun or set up goals for fun in the dev team over the years - Damon Gray, Kurtis Byrne et al.

I'm usually cautious about players coming through - but Shaw looks technically gifted enough to thrive at our level.

Paul Hanlon got blooded at a slightly later age than Oli, got benched for periods before making himself a starter. Shaw is good enough too, but still learning.

What can't be learnt is natural technique. Rather like Fletcher, Oli has that in spades.

He will do well for us and all things being equal will probably move onwards and upwards IMO.

Interesting enough, Oli is one of the top 15 or so, goals per minutes on the pitch this season, of all Premiership strikers. For a load of only 20, this is truly outstanding

Mibbes Aye
31-12-2018, 09:02 PM
Interesting enough, Oli is one of the top 15 or so, goals per minutes on the pitch this season, of all Premiership strikers. For a load of only 20, this is truly outstanding

:agree:

He's a goalscorer but I think he confuses some folk due to his height and build. He's got tricky feet and good close control. And he finds the net consistently.

The 90+2
31-12-2018, 10:32 PM

What I would give for a big Johna at the back to replace Efe. Benji was utterly unplayable though.

BILLYHIBS
01-01-2019, 10:22 AM
What I would give for a big Johna at the back to replace Efe. Benji was utterly unplayable though.

Classic image of him bursting through the snow with the one handed fist salute having just given us the lead.

Brilliant!

Went to the Captains Supper a wee while ago and the door burst open and there was Big Jones standing with the League Cup held aloft the whole company burst into “Jones” to the tune of Gold by Spandau Ballet

Brilliant!

CMurdoch
01-01-2019, 03:51 PM

A good positive and balanced post. Thank ****.

RIP
01-01-2019, 08:24 PM
Both Oli and Florian are talented ball players who can score with either foot.

However a blind man can see that neither is a big target man. Lennon is ruining their talent by asking Mallan and the full backs to keep floating in aimless crosses and hoping for sloppy seconds.

Hopeless tactics making promising youngsters look bad. Only one man responsible and he is blaming everything and everyone else at the moment.