29-12-2018, 07:05 PM
“Other than the goal, did ok”

Sums the ****** up.

Since90+2
29-12-2018, 07:08 PM

Sums the ****** up.

Harsh.

Hanlon is a good spfl standard centre half and has been excellent for us. He has not played at a higher level because he is not good enough but that doesn't justify abusing him.

Callum_62
29-12-2018, 07:09 PM

Sums the ****** up.

nice strike though

Beefster
29-12-2018, 07:11 PM
He’s not the player that he has been for the past few seasons but, ffs, have we really lowered ourselves to calling players, who have given their careers to Hibs, whatever ****** is hiding?

Allant1981
29-12-2018, 07:16 PM
To be fair to him he is just back from injury so never going to be 100% match fit and sharp, was a cracking goal though

tamig
29-12-2018, 07:17 PM
He’s not the player that he has been for the past few seasons but, ffs, have we really lowered ourselves to calling players, who have given their careers to Hibs, whatever ****** is hiding?

The sort of pish I’m sure we’ll see plenty of tonight.

loanheadhibby
29-12-2018, 07:19 PM
nice strike though

Was a lovely strike but how on earth did he turn so easy and get a shot away?

Viva_Palmeiras
29-12-2018, 07:20 PM
What would Paul say about ChazD’s epitaph ?

Malthibby
29-12-2018, 07:35 PM
Hanlon is clearly not fit, his mobility is limited and it's not the first time he's been done & it has cost us, but he's a total Hibby
& will be hurting as much as any of us.
Slagging him off is utterly classless.

MWHIBBIES
29-12-2018, 07:37 PM
Laughable to blame him. It was a shot from 30 yards FFS.

Hibs Class
29-12-2018, 07:38 PM
What would Paul say about ChazD’s epitaph ?

Probably Chaz who?

.Sean.
29-12-2018, 07:38 PM

Sums the ****** up.
😂 nae bother Maldini

Crab apple
29-12-2018, 07:39 PM
He shouldn't be immune from criticism. Too easily turned tonight and has been poor for the last few games.

SChibs
29-12-2018, 07:39 PM
If you get turned 30 yards from goal you get annoyed but chances are the opposition don't score. Unlucky for hanlon the gunts did. Just unlucky imo

Connollys11
29-12-2018, 07:40 PM
He was decent in the second half like.

B.H.F.C
29-12-2018, 07:42 PM
To be fair to him he is just back from injury so never going to be 100% match fit and sharp, was a cracking goal though

He came back too early and did nothing but give goals away.

He’s now come back again and contributing to giving goals away again.

Not good enough from him.

Heckys Wheel
29-12-2018, 07:53 PM

Always decent for a parts of the game. Usually out-muscled, bullied and out fought for other parts. Pish

Coach Jon
29-12-2018, 07:58 PM

Aw, thats okay then.:rolleyes:

itslegaltender
29-12-2018, 08:00 PM
It was obvious that he should have closed down Lee, the boy had plenty time to turn and have a clear strike at goal.

J-C
29-12-2018, 08:01 PM
He got turned a little but come on it was pretty good strike from 20 odd yards, it was probably the only decent shot on target all day by them.

flash
29-12-2018, 08:12 PM

Sums the ****** up.

Agree with first sentence. Nae need for the second.

emerald green
29-12-2018, 09:00 PM
Hanlon is clearly not fit, his mobility is limited and it's not the first time he's been done & it has cost us, but he's a total Hibby
& will be hurting as much as any of us.
Slagging him off is utterly classless.

If Hanlon is "clearly not fit", why is he playing in a very physical derby match? Just asking. :confused:

matty_f
29-12-2018, 09:05 PM

Scottish Cup winning players. Shameful abuse.

Jones28
29-12-2018, 09:10 PM

Sums the ****** up.

Well goodnight folks, that's enough Hibs for me for one day.

lyonhibs
29-12-2018, 09:10 PM
Scottish Cup winning players. Shameful abuse.

They are not exempt from criticism. This, however, is a load of *****

Brightside
29-12-2018, 09:15 PM
This site is full of utter roasters now.

NAE NOOKIE
29-12-2018, 10:23 PM
Been off it a bit since returning from injury ….. but this thread is just pish.

Northernhibee
29-12-2018, 10:31 PM
Hanlon, Stevenson, McGregor and Gray are a back line that will be remembered for decades. Hanlon might not have a great game today but his epitaph will be of a Scottish cup winner and a tremendous servant to the club, like all four of them.

Crab apple
29-12-2018, 10:32 PM

Poor thread title but your slavish defence of Hanlon on multiple threads marks you down as a prime roaster. He was poor tonight and has been since returning from injury.

Rumble de Thump
29-12-2018, 10:39 PM

It's been riddled with Hearts and The Rangers fans for a few years.

St.Kristopher
29-12-2018, 11:05 PM
Not so long ago we were critical of every Scotland team that did not include him. ‘Man Up...Man down...Man up...Man down’ We are Hibernian FC...I am Hanlon!

Beefster
30-12-2018, 06:35 AM

I know neither of you mean me because I’m an extremely valued member of the community but this is ironic because the OP has been a member longer than both of you.

Hibernia&Alba
30-12-2018, 08:46 AM
I'm giving credit to the scorer, not blaming the defender on this yin. It was a great hit. Hanlon didn't do much wrong.

calumhibee1
30-12-2018, 08:53 AM
I'm giving credit to the scorer, not blaming the defender on this yin. It was a great hit. Hanlon didn't do much wrong.

9 times out of 10 you'll get away with defending like Hanlon because the opponent won't usually score from 25 yards on their weak foot. The fact they scored has highlighted a mistake that was probably made numerous times over the game by other players but didn't result in a goal. Not great defending by Hanlon but like you I'd be more inclined to just hold our hands up and say fair play, great hit rather than criticise Hanlon for it.

CraigHibee
30-12-2018, 09:00 AM
nice strike though

Exactly, not a lot could be done about that, I haven't seen the highlights but it looked a good goal

Viva_Palmeiras
30-12-2018, 09:03 AM

Sums the ****** up.

Hibs Class eh?

Sioux
30-12-2018, 09:04 AM
Useless as he is, Berra wouldn't have allowed a player to turn and get a shot away.

One on one defending is not Hanlon's strong point, but should do better.

Hibernia&Alba
30-12-2018, 09:08 AM
Useless as he is, Berra wouldn't have allowed a player to turn and get a shot away.

One on one defending is not Hanlon's strong point, but should do better.

The guy was almost thirty yards out. Hanlon was tight on him, but it seemed to me he didn't want to give away the foul, so just jockeyed him, thinking it was in a safe area. It was then a great shot; the type of shot that rarely goes in. I wouldn't be too hard on Hanlon for it.

Future17
30-12-2018, 09:10 AM
He shouldn't be immune from criticism. Too easily turned tonight and has been poor for the last few games.

He's only played the last two having missed the previous five. I don't think he was poor in the last two either.

Lennon said in his pre-match interview that Hanlon had had "something viral" on Friday night but had chosen to play. Fair play to him and certainly doesn't deserve the abuse in the OP.

Viva_Palmeiras
30-12-2018, 09:11 AM
The guy was almost thirty yards out. Hanlon was tight on him, but it seemed to me he didn't want to give away the foul, so just jockeyed him, thinking it was in a safe area. It was then a great shot; the type of shot that rarely goes in. I wouldn't be too hard on Hanlon for it.

Unless... let the self flagllation commence/continue.

Brightside
30-12-2018, 09:18 AM
https://twitter.com/skysportsstatto/status/1079076130483814400?s=21

This picture clearer indicates my point. Yes Hanlon should do better. But it’s not his job to close down a midfielder in that area. He’s ran 20 yards to do that whilst. Whitt, Efe, Darren, Slivka have let the player go. The right sided players should have been all over him. He should never have got that space.

Hibernia&Alba
30-12-2018, 09:20 AM

This picture clearer indicates my point. Yes Hanlon should do better. But it’s not his job to close down a midfielder in that area. He’s ran 20 yards to do that whilst. Whitt, Efe, Darren, Slivka have let the player go. The right sided players should have been all over him. He should never have got that space.

I'm inclined to agree.

calumhibee1
30-12-2018, 09:23 AM

I can't remember how the build up to the goal went but Lee picked the ball up bang in the centre of the pitch, possibly even slightly to our left hand side of the pitch. His turn took him over to the right side.

It should have been better dealt with all round but I'm not sure I'd say Hanlon shouldn't have had to be anywhere near him. Either way, the guy has hit a great strike and I don't think anyone is hugely to blame for it.

neil7908
30-12-2018, 09:24 AM
We need to stop hammering players for perceived mistakes.

Paul could have done better but it was a great strike.

Our issues are in midfield and up front. The defence have been decent this season given the lack of protection.

Allant1981
30-12-2018, 09:25 AM

It doesn't really though, that was where he ended up, he didn't start from there, I agree he shouldn't have been allowed to run through, I have a screen shot of it but have no idea how to do it on my phone

Brightside
30-12-2018, 09:34 AM
It came from a throw in. Efe sliced a basic clearance out on the right. We didn’t mark up correctly and the guy was able to pass a couple before getting a strike off.

Allant1981
30-12-2018, 09:35 AM
It came from a throw in. Efe sliced a basic clearance out on the right. We didn’t mark up correctly and the guy was able to pass a couple before getting a strike off.

Think I've managed to do it, Lee clearly runs from the left hand side(unless I've got the wrong still)

AgentDaleCooper
30-12-2018, 09:37 AM

I genuinely wonder whether some folk 'support' hibs just to vent their own personal rage at something. Would hate to be their partners.

B.H.F.C
30-12-2018, 09:37 AM

He never passed a couple. He turned Hanlon. Hanlon was never more than a few yards from him.

It was crap from him, just admit it.

He’s made far too many errors leading to goals in his last few appearances. It’s not like him and he needs to improve after the break.

BILLYHIBS
30-12-2018, 09:39 AM
Hanlon was first to the guy he should never have let the boy turn he unleashed a worldly **** happens!

I was worried about Hanlon just coming back from injury but apart from that mistake and a few wayward passes looked more like his old self last night

He will only keep getting better now returned to full fitness

GGTTH

flash
30-12-2018, 09:42 AM

Pass a couple? You are making things up now.

where'stheslope
30-12-2018, 09:44 AM
Last night's game was a mirror image of the Ryan Stevenson goal followed by the Jamie MacDonald show from a few years back!
The goal was even scored from the same place!
I don't blame Hanlon for it, as he at least came out to try and close him down, others need to look at themselves as they let him go!!
We did enough to win or at least get a draw, but they appeared to want it more!!!

Allant1981
30-12-2018, 09:45 AM
Pass a couple? You are making things up now.

Yup, he didn't pass anyone, as shown from the still I put on my post

Brightside
30-12-2018, 09:54 AM
Yup, he didn't pass anyone, as shown from the still I put on my post

That still is ages before the strike? So if he doesn’t get past anyone how does he end up with a strike from less than 25 yards?

Allant1981
30-12-2018, 09:57 AM
That still is ages before the strike? So if he doesn’t get past anyone how does he end up with a strike from less than 25 yards?

Watch the footage

Brightside
30-12-2018, 10:06 AM
Watch the footage

Watched it plenty times now. And yes Hanlon should do better. But the team is massively out of shape during the passage of play. Hanlon has to come over due to Whit and McGregor being caught out by that ball.

Allant1981
30-12-2018, 10:08 AM
Watched it plenty times now. And yes Hanlon should do better. But the team is massively out of shape during the passage of play. Hanlon has to come over due to Whit and McGregor being caught out by that ball.

I'm out now

Wee Mickey
30-12-2018, 10:19 AM

Sums the ****** up.
According to his dad, he was up most of Friday night being sick. Kudos to the guy for turning out when Ill.

emerald green
30-12-2018, 10:28 AM
According to his dad, he was up most of Friday night being sick. Kudos to the guy for turning out when Ill.

If this is true, and I'm not saying it isn't, Hanlon really shouldn't have been playing in such a hard physical game.

It says a lot for him personally, and it also says a lot about the weakness of Hibs current squad (through injuries and players in Australia) that Lennon allowed Hanlon to play.

Pete
30-12-2018, 10:30 AM
Woeful thread.

Brightside
30-12-2018, 10:35 AM
I'm out now

Me too. There is something rotten in Denmark. And this thread is appalling. Our captain being hung out to dry for one mistake.

Allant1981
30-12-2018, 10:50 AM
Me too. There is something rotten in Denmark. And this thread is appalling. Our captain being hung out to dry for one mistake.

But you were happy to blame others for the goal? Hanlon was at fault, doesnt matter how you dress it up, yes I get he is your pal or a relative of some sort but there are times where you can criticise him

Brightside
30-12-2018, 11:05 AM
But you were happy to blame others for the goal? Hanlon was at fault, doesnt matter how you dress it up, yes I get he is your pal or a relative of some sort but there are times where you can criticise him

The difference is i didnt come on here blaming anyone for the goal. Its a good goal and there are mistakes in many areas that create the opportunity for Hearts. To go from that to create a Paul Hanlons Epitaph thread is disgustingly poor, but unfortunately typical of the way the forum has been heading over the last few years.

Allant1981
30-12-2018, 11:09 AM
The difference is i didnt come on here blaming anyone for the goal. Its a good goal and there are mistakes in many areas that create the opportunity for Hearts. To go from that to create a Paul Hanlons Epitaph thread is disgustingly poor, but unfortunately typical of the way the forum has been heading over the last few years.

Aww I agree completely, think the OP was harsh as Hanlon has been a great servant to the club, and when fully fit again should be in the team every week

Scouse Hibee
30-12-2018, 11:17 AM
He never passed a couple. He turned Hanlon. Hanlon was never more than a few yards from him.

It was crap from him, just admit it.

He’s made far too many errors leading to goals in his last few appearances. It’s not like him and he needs to improve after the break.

It was a great bit of play from Lee just admit it

blackpoolhibs
30-12-2018, 11:20 AM
Full backs have to get there and block crosses from getting into the box, defenders have to stop the man they are marking getting shots away, its just how it is.

Hanlon was turned far too easily, and unlucky for him/us the guy scored.

Apart from that, i thought he played well enough, but he will be remembered in this game for that goal.

Crab apple
30-12-2018, 01:20 PM
He's only played the last two having missed the previous five. I don't think he was poor in the last two either.

Lennon said in his pre-match interview that Hanlon had had "something viral" on Friday night but had chosen to play. Fair play to him and certainly doesn't deserve the abuse in the OP.

If he wasn’t fit then he shouldn’t have been playing.

highland hibbee
30-12-2018, 02:34 PM

Which is a lot more than can be said for Harry Potter back in 1986!!
Fair play to Paul.

Liberal Hibby
30-12-2018, 02:34 PM
And the winner of the worst thread of 2018 goes to...

truehibernian
30-12-2018, 02:38 PM
Which is a lot more than can be said for Harry Potter back in 1986!!
Fair play to Paul.

He also had to come in early from the warm up - Hanlon would play through illness and pain if he could. Shame others don’t have his mindset and will to win and play football.

B.H.F.C
30-12-2018, 02:38 PM

No problem admitting it was an excellent strike. Should never have been allowed to get it away though.

brog
30-12-2018, 02:59 PM

This 100%. Hanlon also had the nous to push Lee on to his weaker foot. I doubt he'll ever hit another one as cleanly as that. Regardless of who was to blame for the goal though the level of abuse on this & other threads is IMO unacceptable, makes the Hibs Class banner seem a tad ironic. I'll support every Hibs player who gives 100%, that's all we can ask. Good SPFL players cant change into international stars & we have no god given right to win every game. I hate losing to them but life goes on & we'll be back.

Viva_Palmeiras
30-12-2018, 03:36 PM
Is there a term for threads that attract wired to the moon comments ?

Hermit Crab
30-12-2018, 03:38 PM

You can always spot them, very low post counts. :agree:

Hermit Crab
30-12-2018, 03:41 PM

No, Hanlon got turned inside out and had to pay to get back in, the strike itself was good, should never have been allowed to get a shot away though.

Hermit Crab
30-12-2018, 03:44 PM

Well if that s the case he should have declared himself unfit. No use having a half fit defender in a derby.

HibeeHibernian4
30-12-2018, 03:49 PM
If Hanlon was a signing we'd only made two or three seasons ago, some people would rate him much more highly than they do.

Instead, he has the 'baggage' of being part of some godawful Hibs sides and playing in some of our biggest/heaviest defeats. 5-1 against Hearts, 0-7 against Malmo, part of the Hibs side that went down (albeit while injured himself).

Since Stubbs, he absolutely improved into a very solid and capable centre back who's been touted for a Scotland call-up by many on here and a few in the media too. Last season he was almost as good as Efe at the back for us, and a big part of why we finished the table with the fourth fewest number of goals conceded.

This season, he's had problems with injuries and, quite simply, has not been up to scratch since he's returned. The pairing should be Porteous and Ambrose going forward and it's up to Hanlon to win his place back. Last night certainly didn't help his cause.

Heckys Wheel
30-12-2018, 03:49 PM
Well if that s the case he should have declared himself unfit. No use having a half fit defender in a derby.

Thought he did ok last night, other than the goal. Hence the joke about the epitaph.

He is usually, almost always, better than average but he gets bullied too easily and we lose goals because of it. It’s annoying at the best of times, sickening when losing a derby.

Hiber-nation
30-12-2018, 03:52 PM
Thought he did ok last night, other than the goal. Hence the joke about the epitaph.

He is usually, almost always, better than average but he gets bullied too easily and we lose goals because of it. It’s annoying at the best of times, sickening when losing a derby.

But do you still think he's a ******? Whatever that is.

Scouse Hibee
30-12-2018, 04:47 PM
No, Hanlon got turned inside out and had to pay to get back in, the strike itself was good, should never have been allowed to get a shot away though.

It was a great turn and strike, that’s why he got the shot away just admit it.

Scouse Hibee
30-12-2018, 04:48 PM
No problem admitting it was an excellent strike. Should never have been allowed to get it away though.

But he did, great turn and strike.

B.H.F.C
30-12-2018, 04:49 PM
But he did, great turn and strike.

Aided by poor, weak defending.

SquashedFrogg
30-12-2018, 04:50 PM

Did someone not needlessly sclaff the ball out before they scored?

Viva_Palmeiras
30-12-2018, 04:51 PM

Hilarious so it was

Scouse Hibee
30-12-2018, 04:51 PM
Aided by poor, weak defending.

Nope just a great bit of skill, there doesn’t always have to be someone at fault, just a great goal.

B.H.F.C
30-12-2018, 04:52 PM
Nope just a great bit of skill, there doesn’t always have to be someone at fault, just a great goal.

You seriously think Hanlon defended it as well as he could?

Captain Trips
30-12-2018, 05:00 PM
Paul Hanlon got done. Big deal him and every other defender in this league will be getting done plenty of times during career.

Funnily enough when I think of Paul Hanlon I think of equalisers and cup win. Its going to take a hell of a lot of mistakes to change that as first thought.

B.H.F.C
30-12-2018, 05:08 PM
Paul Hanlon got done. Big deal him and every other defender in this league will be getting done plenty of times during career.

Funnily enough when I think of Paul Hanlon I think of equalisers and cup win. Its going to take a hell of a lot of mistakes to change that as first thought.

I don’t think anybody sensible would dispute that. I’ll remember him as being a cup winner more than I will last night, obviously.

However, at the moment we are toiling badly. And Hanlon has toiled in a number of the more recent games he’s played IMO. Two goals away against Dundee. One at Killie. Culpable last night.

There might have been reasons for it. But it is quite a big deal because it’s been costing us goals and, in turn, points. I think he’s a better player than that.

Leith's finest
30-12-2018, 05:08 PM

P!ss off lol, he been missing for weeks, brought back from injury early

matty_f
30-12-2018, 05:24 PM
I don’t think anybody sensible would dispute that. I’ll remember him as being a cup winner more than I will last night, obviously.

However, at the moment we are toiling badly. And Hanlon has toiled in a number of the more recent games he’s played IMO. Two goals away against Dundee. One at Killie. Culpable last night.

There might have been reasons for it. But it is quite a big deal because it’s been costing us goals and, in turn, points. I think he’s a better player than that.

Hanlon's not match fit following his injury imho, he'll get better with games and hopefully people are able to give him those games without getting ripped into him for any mistakes he makes.

Scouse Hibee
30-12-2018, 05:27 PM
You seriously think Hanlon defended it as well as he could?

Yes, it’s easy to look back and say someone should have done better, the boy done him and scored a great goal as simple as that.

B.H.F.C
30-12-2018, 05:31 PM
Hanlon's not match fit following his injury imho, he'll get better with games and hopefully people are able to give him those games without getting ripped into him for any mistakes he makes.

The problem is we now don’t have a game for three weeks (with the exception of a friendly in Dubai). So how many games does he need following the winter break to get up to speed?

Hanlon is always going to make mistakes, as most defenders will. He’s just made too many lately. As I say, I think he’s a good player and it kind of sums us up at the moment in that far too many players are under performing.

Pretty Boy
30-12-2018, 05:32 PM
A CB who isn't match fit got turned and the guy got a great strike away. It happens.

Hanlon has been a fine servant to Hibs for 10 years and has had far more good games than bad. I can forgive him a mistake. If he continues to perform below hos usual standards heading into the summer then the manager has something to think about with regards recuritment. I don't that being an issue though.

Leith's finest
30-12-2018, 05:45 PM
Think the people going to dubia may be in for a let down

SideBurns
30-12-2018, 05:47 PM
A CB who isn't match fit got turned and the guy got a great strike away. It happens.

Hanlon has been a fine servant to Hibs for 10 years and has had far more good games than bad. I can forgive him a mistake. If he continues to perform below hos usual standards heading into the summer then the manager has something to think about with regards recuritment. I don't that being an issue though.

This is a problem of the modern game in the media eye, imo. Every single move is analysed to death; maybe Hanlon shouldn't have let him turn, but he was still goalside and who expected the boy to stick it in the top corner from there?

If it hadn't resulted in a wonder goal which won the game, I doubt anyone could argue Hanlon didn't play very well, and in the 2nd half particularly provided the drive from the back on the left that we've missed in his absence. Certainly gave more in an attacking sense 2nd half than any of our midfielders.

Hibernia&Alba
30-12-2018, 05:52 PM
This is a problem of the modern game in the media eye, imo. Every single move is analysed to death; maybe Hanlon shouldn't have let him turn, but he was still goalside and who expected the boy to stick it in the top corner from there?

If it hadn't resulted in a wonder goal which won the game, I doubt anyone could argue Hanlon didn't play very well, and in the 2nd half particularly provided the drive from the back on the left that we've missed in his absence. Certainly gave more in an attacking sense 2nd half than any of our midfielders.

I fully agree. Everything is micro-analysed. Hanlon didn't do much wrong; it was a great strike.

Crab apple
30-12-2018, 06:10 PM
P!ss off lol, he been missing for weeks, brought back from injury early

I lol at most of your posts.

He has come back from injury too soon as I said earlier.

Danderhall Hibs
30-12-2018, 06:36 PM
I fully agree. Everything is micro-analysed. Hanlon didn't do much wrong; it was a great strike.

You don’t need to micro analyse it to tell he let the guy have a yard to get the shot away. I’ve not seen it back yet but could tell from the F5 upper that’s what happened.

Hibernia&Alba
30-12-2018, 06:41 PM
You don’t need to micro analyse it to tell he let the guy have a yard to get the shot away. I’ve not seen it back yet but could tell from the F5 upper that’s what happened.

He was tight on Lee and jockeyed him, at 25 plus yards. It's what defenders do in every game; it's just that, on this occasion, a wonder strike went in. With hindsight it's a case of 'shoulda coulda', but he didn't do a lot wrong.

Danderhall Hibs
30-12-2018, 06:45 PM
He was tight on Lee and jockeyed him, at 25 plus yards. It's what defenders do in every game; it's just that, on this occasion, a wonder strike went in. With hindsight it's a case of 'shoulda coulda', but he didn't do a lot wrong.

Not a lot, but enough.

Scouse Hibee
30-12-2018, 07:31 PM

Exactly, people blaming Hanlon for the goal are being ridiculous.

MagicSwirlingShip
30-12-2018, 07:40 PM
My personal opinion is sometimes you just have to take your hat off to the opposition player for a great strike.

I’d also suggest that if he had turned onto his other foot (right) and struck then Paul may have got there as he would’ve been blocking the shot with his stronger foot (left). But he never, so here we are.

Jonnyboy
30-12-2018, 07:44 PM

I keep reading the shot was from 25 and sometimes 30 yards. It wasn't, maybe 20. Check the highlights and the photo in Scotland on Sunday which clearly shows Hanlon and Lee and the D of the 18 yard box.

That aside, I agree with Scouse and others - it was a great strike. Paul got turned, it happens

Danderhall Hibs
30-12-2018, 07:47 PM
I keep reading the shot was from 25 and sometimes 30 yards. It wasn't, maybe 20. Check the highlights and the photo in Scotland on Sunday which clearly shows Hanlon and Lee and the D of the 18 yard box.

That aside, I agree with Scouse and others - it was a great strike. Paul got turned, it happens

I thought that as well - I was sure it was on the edge of the box (not seen it back yet).

You disagree with scouse etc as they’re saying it was a great goal and PH couldn’t have done any better.

Lancs Harp
30-12-2018, 07:48 PM
It was a good strike I think you can always look at goals you concede and say you could have done this that or the other better. They had a great strike and it went in. We had two great efforts, one hit the bar, the other the inside of the post. That's football for you. We'll stuff 'em next time.

Jonnyboy
30-12-2018, 07:49 PM
I thought that as well - I was sure it was on the edge of the box (not seen it back yet).

You disagree with scouse etc as they’re saying it was a great goal and PH couldn’t have done any better.

I specifically meant the great strike :greengrin

allmodcons
30-12-2018, 07:49 PM

If he made a mistake it was that he was too tight to Lee but, for me, it has been over analysed. It was a good turn and a tremendous strike. Paul Hanlon is very good SPL defender who has been a great servant to the club.

Heckys Wheel
30-12-2018, 07:59 PM
Yours would be "wide mouthed classless fud lies here"

Oaft. That’s a sare yin. 🙄

The Green Goblin
30-12-2018, 08:15 PM
Paul Hanlon

Hibs Captain
Represented Hibernian 2007-2018 in the Scottish domestic game Represented Hibernian in European competition
300+ Career appearances for Hibernian
Scottish Championship winner
Scottish Cup winner
Capped for Scotland
Goals: 16

SquashedFrogg
30-12-2018, 10:39 PM
Paul Hanlon

Hibs Captain
Represented Hibernian 2007-2018 in the Scottish domestic game Represented Hibernian in European competition
Scottish Cup winner
Capped for Scotland

Aye but, aye but.... (insert attention seeking text here)

NC1875
30-12-2018, 11:00 PM
He’s miles off Lee when he takes his first touch and then far too tight when he takes his second touch. Because Hanlons a hibby he gets an easy ride on here. Not good enough I’m afraid

Viva_Palmeiras
30-12-2018, 11:10 PM

My Ignore list has swelled from 0 a week ago to about 7 poetic really. All Zenned out now. Bliss

SquashedFrogg
30-12-2018, 11:12 PM
He’s miles off Lee when he takes his first touch and then far too tight when he takes his second touch. Because Hanlons a hibby he gets an easy ride on here. Not good enough I’m afraid

None of that even makes sense.

Your last sentence is embarrassing.

Captain Trips
30-12-2018, 11:27 PM

He is Paul Hanlon not Franco Baresi. He has been more blatantly at fault for goals than that as has Daz, Efi, and every other defender who we have or will sign and just like every other defender in this league.

It is good enough because on balance he does a hell of a lot of good stuff as do the rest of the defence the ones that don't get moved on.

Tornadoes70
30-12-2018, 11:27 PM
To be perfectly fair i'm sure even Paul himself would have held his hands up in the dressing room and admitted he got it wrong when allowing Lee to turn away into space and hit a sweet strike.

All defenders make mistakes, not all of them result in 20 yard decent hits that leave keepers no chance.

Lenny got the formation ergo the tactics wrong. Levein had already stated he was flooding the midfield and it worked perfectly for Levein when they got their goal as he loves nothing better than defending one goal leads against the big teams such as ours.

In saying that I agree with the posters who opined we should have postponed the match when offered due to the likes of Boyle being absent because Boyle would have had them on the back foot much more frequently with his blistering pace in behind.

Lenny's got to get smarter against Levein who got the tactics spot on of which I hate saying but its more or less the truth and we have to take it on the chin and learn the lessons.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

:flag:

flash
31-12-2018, 06:14 AM
To put it simply if that had been Whittaker this place would have been in meltdown. It's not what you do often but who you are.

Hiber-nation
31-12-2018, 06:19 AM
Paul Hanlon

Hibs Captain
Scottish Cup winner
Capped for Scotland

He hasn't actually been capped for Scotland. Got a squad call up last year but didn't get on.

I always think Hibs are a better side with Hanlon playing because of his ability to build from the back but he should have done better at their goal, simple as that.

JimBHibees
31-12-2018, 07:27 AM

He definitely shouldnt have let him turn and then roll the ball with the sole of his left foot before unchallenged smash it in the top corner. Very poor defending especially in a derby game can you imagine any of their defenders allowing a player that amount of space at the edge of the box.

Allant1981
31-12-2018, 07:33 AM
He was turned far to easy, and for a defender of his experience it will have annoyed him, normally shots like that will fly over the bar but unluckily for us it goes in the top corner, no point in blaming others as it was his man but it's done now and nothing is going to change it, when fully fit Paul Hanlon is our second best defender but for me has been brought back to early, if Porteous had been fit I don't think Hanlon would have played, hopefully is back to his best after the break

SideBurns
31-12-2018, 07:44 AM
He definitely shouldnt have let him turn and then roll the ball with the sole of his left foot before unchallenged smash it in the top corner. Very poor defending especially in a derby game can you imagine any of their defenders allowing a player that amount of space at the edge of the box.

Whittaker's was from roughly the same area was it not? Which one of their defenders was at fault for allowing him to get a shot in? As another poster pointed out, just about every goal ever scored could be criticised from a defensive perspective. I've said he did allow Lee too much space to turn but fitba isn't an exact science and it was hardly a howler.

lyonhibs
31-12-2018, 08:02 AM
I thought my memory was deceiving me, all this chat about Hanlon being too far off him. If you watch the highlights, Hanlon is right behind him, touch tight practically but not physical enough with it. If anything he's too close and thus has not enough time to react to the change of direction before the shot has gone.

Far better defenders than him have been similarly turned only to see the ensuing shot go flying over the bar or harmlessly back to the goalie.

It was a great goal, end of story.

JimBHibees
31-12-2018, 08:06 AM
Whittaker's was from roughly the same area was it not? Which one of their defenders was at fault for allowing him to get a shot in? As another poster pointed out, just about every goal ever scored could be criticised from a defensive perspective. I've said he did allow Lee too much space to turn but fitba isn't an exact science and it was hardly a howler.

Whitty got his shot away quickly before he was pressed, Paul got turned then got nowhere near him. Not saying it was a howler however he definitely should have done better.

Allant1981
31-12-2018, 08:13 AM
I thought my memory was deceiving me, all this chat about Hanlon being too far off him. If you watch the highlights, Hanlon is right behind him, touch tight practically but not physical enough with it. If anything he's too close and thus has not enough time to react to the change of direction before the shot has gone.

Far better defenders than him have been similarly turned only to see the ensuing shot go flying over the bar or harmlessly back to the goalie.

Yip the problem was he was too tight so got turned very easy, but as I mentioned before it was a cracking goal

Coach Jon
31-12-2018, 08:15 AM

The scorer has his back to goal when he receives the ball, there is no way he should get any sort of shot in from that position, its poor defending.

NC1875
31-12-2018, 08:29 AM
None of that even makes sense.

Your last sentence is embarrassing.

Not quite sure what you’re struggling to understand.

As someone else said if that had been Whittaker he’d be getting slated. Hanlon has cost us numerous times in his years playing for Hibs. In my opinion we could do better.

SquashedFrogg
31-12-2018, 08:30 AM
The scorer has his back to goal when he receives the ball, there is no way he should get any sort of shot in from that position, its poor defending.

I saw a Man City mistake yesterday which led to a goal. I also saw a Man Utd error which led to a goal.

cleanyman
31-12-2018, 08:53 AM
Hanlon is an okay player. A great servant for Hibs but gets bullied far too often.

I didn't get the Scotland call up chat because he's no where near that level

Diclonius
31-12-2018, 08:59 AM
A home derby defeat is always guaranteed to explode into stupid threads like this.

Calling a Scottish Cup winner a ******. Have a word.

SquashedFrogg
31-12-2018, 09:02 AM
Not quite sure what you’re struggling to understand.

As someone else said if that had been Whittaker he’d be getting slated. Hanlon has cost us numerous times in his years playing for Hibs. In my opinion we could do better.

Of course no player is exempt from criticism. Every player makes mistakes. But Paul Hanlon has undoubtedly been one of our most reliable and consistent players over the years.

Id love to see a list the 'numerous' times he has cost us.

Thankfully your opinion isn't shared by most. Why would consecutive managers continue to play him?

BoomtownHibees
31-12-2018, 09:03 AM
I saw a Man City mistake yesterday which led to a goal. I also saw a Man Utd error which led to a goal.

And they were poor defending as well. What’s your point?

The 90+2
31-12-2018, 09:54 AM
Hanlon is more than good enough for us. I don’t blame him for the loss neither but he did seem to be back to when he first started at CH in derbies. He’s not fit though and still looks at least a yard short. Where’s the midfield when their players are outside our penalty area?

Brooster
31-12-2018, 10:28 AM
Hanlon is an okay player. A great servant for Hibs but gets bullied far too often.

I didn't get the Scotland call up chat because he's no where near that level

I agree. Not tough enough to be a top top player. He hardly ever gets booked, I like my centre halfs to let opponents know all about it.

SquashedFrogg
31-12-2018, 11:41 AM
And they were poor defending as well. What’s your point?

Ok, if I must. My point was that even top players at top teams make mistakes. Soiling ones pants over a mistake on Saturday is all very unnecessary.

SquashedFrogg
31-12-2018, 11:43 AM
Hanlon is more than good enough for us. I don’t blame him for the loss neither but he did seem to be back to when he first started at CH in derbies. He’s not fit though and still looks at least a yard short. Where’s the midfield when their players are outside our penalty area?

Your last sentence is a good point. Hanlon getting hung out to dry by some, but midfield should be closing Lee down before PH has to get involved.

matty_f
31-12-2018, 11:50 AM
I agree. Not tough enough to be a top top player. He hardly ever gets booked, I like my centre halfs to let opponents know all about it.

Rio Ferdinand once went a full season without a yellow card iirc, he was an excellent defender.

MWHIBBIES
31-12-2018, 11:52 AM

I like them to be good defenders. Not hachet men who smash into opponents. Plenty of good defenders who never get booked.

Smartie
31-12-2018, 11:59 AM
Hanlon has been an outstanding player for us over the years but has been very poor for us this season.

I think he might have been a bit complacent for the goal. It was a cracking strike and not one you'd have expected. I'm pretty sure Lee is right-footed, so I'd normally happily see them skelp shots in from distance on their weaker foot. 99 times out of 100 they end up in the stand or in the goalkeeper's hands and someone has a quiet word about not letting them get shots in.

It was a mistake that was cruelly punished but hardly a howler and we need to lay off him a bit. He did make one or two other mistakes in that first half, although I thought he played very well in the second.

Scouse Hibee
31-12-2018, 12:54 PM

I always considered you to have a good understanding of the game, this post has left me wondering.

Brightside
31-12-2018, 12:56 PM

😂😂😂🎺

BoomtownHibees
31-12-2018, 12:59 PM
Ok, if I must. My point was that even top players at top teams make mistakes. Soiling ones pants over a mistake on Saturday is all very unnecessary.

No soiling of pants here but on the flip side I think it’s fair when folk call out he made a mistake. There’s others who won’t/don’t want to recognise that because PH is a Hibby or because he’s a legend who won the cup. It was a mistake from him, which can happen, however it has happened to him far too many times lately. Is he fit? If not then he shouldn’t be playing but I don’t see fitness as a reason for the mistake he made on Saturday

Brooster
31-12-2018, 01:06 PM
I always considered you to have a good understanding of the game, this post has left me wondering.

If he had let Ollie Lee know he was there we wouldn't be talking about an embarrassing defeat to one of the worse hearts teams to come to ER in 40 years.

scoopyboy
31-12-2018, 01:14 PM
If he had let Ollie Lee know he was there we wouldn't be talking about an embarrassing defeat to one of the worse hearts teams to come to ER in 40 years.

Or if someone had managed to score a goal we wouldn't have suffered a defeat, too many times we can't score when we go behind.

Brooster
31-12-2018, 01:19 PM
Or if someone had managed to score a goal we wouldn't have suffered a defeat, too many times we can't score when we go behind.

I agree. We defo lack goals.

Speedway
31-12-2018, 01:35 PM
Why is everyone blaming Hanlon when Daz leaned away rather than into the shot from the yam?

The Green Goblin
31-12-2018, 03:00 PM
Win as a team. Lose as a team.

MWHIBBIES
31-12-2018, 03:14 PM
If he had let Ollie Lee know he was there we wouldn't be talking about an embarrassing defeat to one of the worse hearts teams to come to ER in 40 years.Not even one of the worst Hearts teams in the last 5 years.

Gmack7
31-12-2018, 03:15 PM

or he lets him know he's there,gets booked and they score from the fee kick
It was a good goal and the only difference between the two teams. Slaughtering PH is very Harsh imo

SquashedFrogg
31-12-2018, 03:16 PM

I've seen much worse Hearts teams than that beat us. If only Ambrose hadn't needlessly sliced the ball out for a throw in leading up to the goal. If only the midfield gave better protection to the defence leading up to the goal. If only Flo had grown a set and stood up to Berra throughout the 90 mins. If only, if only....

They beat us, and will beat us again. It happens.

Lancs Harp
31-12-2018, 03:19 PM
I've seen much worse Hearts teams than that beat us. If only Ambrose hadn't needlessly sliced the ball out for a throw in leading up to the goal. If only the midfield gave better protection to the defence leading up to the goal. If only Flo had grown a set and stood up to Berra throughout the 90 mins. If only, if only....

They beat us, and will beat us again. It happens.

If only the goalpost manufacturers had used a thinner coat of paint on the post.

Keith_M
31-12-2018, 03:50 PM

Sums the ****** up.

Take a hike!

SquashedFrogg
31-12-2018, 03:53 PM
If only the goalpost manufacturers had used a thinner coat of paint on the post.

That was just typical us though. Any other team and the ball would've spun in off the other post.

Need grippier baws! 😂

Jonnyboy
31-12-2018, 04:19 PM
If Flo had done that and turned Berra.before smashing the ball into the net we’d have been lauding his skill.

Pretty Boy
31-12-2018, 04:20 PM
If Flo had done that and turned Berra.before smashing the ball into the net we’d have been lauding his skill.

Everyone except Neil Lennon and Garry Parker. They'd be asking why he didn't do it twice:greengrin

The 90+2
31-12-2018, 04:22 PM

If Flo has lost his man and the player done that he would be getting pelters for being lazy and not covering his man.

The 90+2
31-12-2018, 04:22 PM
Everyone except Neil Lennon and Garry Parker. They'd be asking why he didn't do it twice:greengrin

Or every other week.

Jonnyboy
31-12-2018, 04:28 PM
If Flo has lost his man and the player done that he would be getting pelters for being lazy and not covering his man.

My point is, it was a clever piece of play and a good finish. Those slaughtering PH should maybe take that into consideration.

CMurdoch
31-12-2018, 04:58 PM
Can someone who was a decent standard of player comment on the following.

When faced with the situation Hanlon had I would have stood square on directly behind Lee and waited until he turned and then tackled him or in this case blocked the shot.
What Paul did was try to win the ball before Lee turned by reaching his foot round Lee's left side. Seeing this Lee turned to his right and released the shot past a now out of position Hanlon.

Does my thinking of the defender keeping his body between the attacker and the goal and waiting for the turn hold for a professional defender?

The 90+2
31-12-2018, 05:03 PM
My point is, it was a clever piece of play and a good finish. Those slaughtering PH should maybe take that into consideration.

I know, I apologise. I was being ironic about the abuse Flo’ gets. Still the player should never been able to get the shot in. I don’t blame PH solely though, where’s the midfield cover and it all stemmed from Ambrose being pressured into punting the ball out the park, they got throw, punt to Rob Lees boy and nightmare happened.

Bleeds green
31-12-2018, 06:00 PM
This site gets worse week by week more and more halfwit comments and threads

Nameless
31-12-2018, 08:44 PM
Win as a team. Lose as a team.A - f¿[emoji2398]£! ^g - MEN!!!

Sent from my G3311 using Tapatalk

Brightside
01-01-2019, 10:29 AM
Can someone who was a decent standard of player comment on the following.

When faced with the situation Hanlon had I would have stood square on directly behind Lee and waited until he turned and then tackled him or in this case blocked the shot.
What Paul did was try to win the ball before Lee turned by reaching his foot round Lee's left side. Seeing this Lee turned to his right and released the shot past a now out of position Hanlon.

Does my thinking of the defender keeping his body between the attacker and the goal and waiting for the turn hold for a professional defender?

A decent standard of player would have done exactly what Paul did.

erin go bragh
01-01-2019, 01:37 PM
Can the administrators just delete this . Sniff sniff all over it .

NC1875
01-01-2019, 02:08 PM

Surely that’s a wind up. Hanlon made Lees mind up for him by diving in.

Danderhall Hibs
01-01-2019, 02:14 PM
Surely that’s a wind up. Hanlon made Lees mind up for him by diving in.

I took it that underscore meant a decent player would do that, however an above average player would’ve been able to do better.

Danderhall Hibs
01-01-2019, 02:15 PM
Can the administrators just delete this . Sniff sniff all over it .

Nonsense. Just cos he played a big part in the cup win doesn’t make him immune from criticism.

cmcd
01-01-2019, 02:33 PM
If players didn't make mistakes we wouldn't see any goals. We have 6 pages of nonsense where people are criticising one of our own players.Yes possibly Hanlon could have done better but he is not a world class player.If he was he wouldn't be playing for Hibs.All players make mistakes so give the guy a break

CMurdoch
01-01-2019, 03:06 PM

Why?
No wind up, I really want to know.
I was always taught to remain goalside and wait for the attacker to turn before tackling or blocking.

P.S. wish someone would change the thread title

Captain Trips
01-01-2019, 03:43 PM
What's the big deal? Hanlon got done he will again as will all our CBs and Hearts etc etc.

B.H.F.C
01-01-2019, 03:48 PM
What's the big deal? Hanlon got done he will again as will all our CBs and Hearts etc etc.

It’s a big deal when, recently, he’s made a fair number of errors leading to goals against.

SquashedFrogg
01-01-2019, 04:01 PM
It’s a big deal when, recently, he’s made a fair number of errors leading to goals against.

Has he not been injured recently? Or am I blind?

Captain Trips
01-01-2019, 04:08 PM

Has he, well you think we should sell him then and bring in another CB who will make less? I think folk need to get a grip here he has played nearly 300 games of which he has been decent. In 300 games I would expect a CB playing for Hibs to be at fault for a fair few goals. He has been at fault far worse than the other night. These threads pop up when an error has been made or perceived error yet we can go months with no mention of him due to the fact doing his job.

The big deal is our in ability to create and score chances, make simple passes, cross balls maybe if we sort that out the inevitable defensive mistakes will not be as costly.

SquashedFrogg
01-01-2019, 04:15 PM
Why?
No wind up, I really want to know.
I was always taught to remain goalside and wait for the attacker to turn before tackling or blocking.

P.S. wish someone would change the thread title

I'm guessing based on your analysis and critique that you never let a player go past you and played at a very high level?

Maybe send your cv in to the club?

Seems we have an abundance of top coaches, scouts, managers on .net. Maybe they should put their expertise to good use instead of sitting in their pants at home passing on guidance.

B.H.F.C
01-01-2019, 04:17 PM
Has he, well you think we should sell him then and bring in another CB who will make less? I think folk need to get a grip here he has played nearly 300 games of which he has been decent. In 300 games I would expect a CB playing for Hibs to be at fault for a fair few goals. He has been at fault far worse than the other night. These threads pop up when an error has been made or perceived error yet we can go months with no mention of him due to the fact doing his job.

The big deal is our in ability to create and score chances, make simple passes, cross balls maybe if we sort that out the inevitable defensive mistakes will not be as costly.

I’ve never suggested we should sell him or anything along those lines, but you know that of course.

In his last four or five games he’s made a number of errors that have cost us goals, stretching back to Dundee at home when he’d apparently been rushed back.

I think Hanlon is a good player but he’s under performed when he’s played lately and it’s cost us goals. He needs to improve after the break. So less of the ‘get a grip’ pish because folk happen to have the opposing view to you eh.

Captain Trips
01-01-2019, 04:19 PM
I’ve never suggested we should sell him or anything along those lines, but you know that of course.

In his last four or five games he’s made a number of errors that have cost us goals, stretching back to Dundee at home when he’d apparently been rushed back.

I think Hanlon is a good player but he’s under performed when he’s played lately and it’s cost us goals. He needs to improve after the break. So less of the ‘get a grip’ pish because folk happen to have the opposing view to you eh.

So less of the "pish" because folk happen to have the opposing view to you eh.

B.H.F.C
01-01-2019, 04:22 PM
So less of the "pish" because folk have a different point of view to you eh.

It not me that is telling people they need to get a grip because of their views is it?

Perfectly capable of accepting people see things differently and happy to debate said points.

Never told you your views were pish did I? Just the fact that you feel the need tell others they need to get a grip.

Captain Trips
01-01-2019, 04:54 PM
It not me that is telling people they need to get a grip because of their views is it?

Perfectly capable of accepting people see things differently and happy to debate said points.

Never told you your views were pish did I? Just the fact that you feel the need tell others they need to get a grip.

I never told them theirs were I just asked them to get grip you interperate that as "pish" that's your call.

CMurdoch
01-01-2019, 05:10 PM
I'm guessing based on your analysis and critique that you never let a player go past you and played at a very high level?

Maybe send your cv in to the club?

Seems we have an abundance of top coaches, scouts, managers on .net. Maybe they should put their expertise to good use instead of sitting in their pants at home passing on guidance.

Sadly not. Too slow and not athletic enough.
This has now been compounded by old age and a passion for sugar.
However ma analysis and critique of the basics is still right up there :wink:.

SquashedFrogg
01-01-2019, 05:21 PM
Sadly not. Too slow and not athletic enough.
This has now been compounded by old age and a passion for sugar.
However ma analysis and critique of the basics is still right up there :wink:.

Brilliant reply 👍

SideBurns
01-01-2019, 05:22 PM
I must have been one of the top 30 centre-halves playing Sunday Amateur/pub fitba in the 90s, so i trust that meets C Murdoch's requirements as 'decent standard'.

I would have tried to blooter Lee, and either the same outcome would've resulted or i would've given away a free-kick and got a yelly or red. Have a guid kip CM, and Happy New Year!

The 90+2
01-01-2019, 05:34 PM
I must have been one of the top 30 centre-halves playing Sunday Amateur/pub fitba in the 90s, so i trust that meets C Murdoch's requirements as 'decent standard'.

I would have tried to blooter Lee, and either the same outcome would've resulted or i would've given away a free-kick and got a yelly or red. Have a guid kip CM, and Happy New Year!

It was certainly the standard I used to watch Colin Murdoch play that’s for sure 😂

CMurdoch
01-01-2019, 06:20 PM
Cheers guys :wink:

J-C
01-01-2019, 08:15 PM
Look it wasn't a serious mistake by Paul, Lee still had to put his laces through the ball, it was a cracking shot, one even Paul probably didn't think he'd make.