PDA

View Full Version : Too much hoofing/long balls

BOB MARLEYS DUG
29-12-2018, 08:00 PM
Sad to see this again, especially after how good our football was last season.

Unseen work
29-12-2018, 08:02 PM
This tactic is also why Kamberi is looking so poor imo.

On the odd occasion it is into his feet there is no one anywhere near him to link the play with

BOB MARLEYS DUG
29-12-2018, 08:03 PM

On the odd occasion it is into his feet there is no one anywhere near him to link the play with

:agree:

MWHIBBIES
No one to take the ball from the defence. People used to criticize McGeouch and Fyvie for only playing short passes but that's exactly what we're missing. Fullbacks having to turn back. Central defenders hoofing it or passing between themselves. Fyvie would walk into this side. He's much better than Mallan. Ridiculous that he was allowed to go for free because he didn't sign quick enough but we waited for Milligan who is hopeless.

Cod Boy
Berra and his partner had cigars out tonight easy game for them.

Heisenberg
29-12-2018, 08:04 PM
Berra and his partner had cigars out tonight easy game for them.

Totally played into their hands. Lennon hasn’t a clue.

Ozyhibby
29-12-2018, 08:05 PM
It’s the diagonal crosses from deep that annoyed me most. The Hearts defence must have thought it’s was their lucky day. They can defend that all day.
Really missed Boyle’s ability to get behind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hibsbollah
29-12-2018, 08:07 PM
It’s the diagonal crosses from deep that annoyed me most. The Hearts defence must have thought it’s was their lucky day. They can defend that all day.
Really missed Boyle’s ability to get behind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:agree: We hoofed it again and again and Craig Leveins hertz passed it better than us. That should never happen.

cabbageandribs1875
29-12-2018, 08:07 PM

:agree:

A Hi-Bee
29-12-2018, 08:11 PM

Hear,hear it must be pretty frustrating for him although he could show a bit more application same as last season.

Thegreenside
29-12-2018, 08:13 PM
See thread ‘midfield’ strikers can do nothing with anyone in be midfield, zero creation, zero fight

calumhibee1
29-12-2018, 08:21 PM
We just do not have a style of play. A midfield who cant knock it about with enough end product to play through them and a forward line who cant deal with long balls.

Weve far too many players who are more than happy to just drift around on the periphary of the game.

NORTHERNHIBBY
29-12-2018, 08:26 PM
The odd hoof up the park is a decent option but only to a forward who can play off it or if there is a chance for a second ball. Almost every ball came straight back out. Pointless.

RIP
01-01-2019, 05:16 PM
:agree: We hoofed it again and again and Craig Leveins hertz passed it better than us. That should never happen.

Lennon persists with this mindless tactic and then looks to blame talented young strikers who need ball to feet.

I was always a big fan of Neil until he started to shirk responsibility and accuse Kamberi, Shaw and McLaren of not trying.

A lack of leadership and accountability on the part of the manager.

NAE NOOKIE
01-01-2019, 05:30 PM
I agree with the OP ….. But as so many others have said its what you end up limited to when you cant play through midfield or get round the back, IMO the loss of Boyle and Agyepong for the Hearts game absolutely handed them a huge bonus.

For all of that, we did manage to lump the ball into the Hearts box time and again, especially in the 2nd half and hoofball or not you would have hoped that on at least a few of those occasions a couple of strikers as tall as Kamberi and Shaw would have been able to get a bloomin' header on goal.

The_Horde
01-01-2019, 06:00 PM
Getting the ball forward is necessary at times, particularly when teams like Hearts just sit in and frustrate. Problem is it's not sticking when we do.

IGRIGI
01-01-2019, 06:08 PM
I've never understood why we do it especially against Hearts.

Berra and co won't have an easier time, it's kindergarten work for them especially up against Kamberi who either can't or won't jump.

Shrekko
01-01-2019, 06:30 PM
I've never understood why we do it especially against Hearts.

Berra and co won't have an easier time, it's kindergarten work for them especially up against Kamberi who either can't or won't jump.

Happens in every derby- pace is so frantic and players scared to make mistakes so take the easy option.

The Hibs playing hoof ball is becoming a Hibs.net myth tho. We really don’t. Plenty decent balls played up to the strikers this season - a lot of weak hold
up play though.

And when we do... it’s not too much to ask anybody to at least try and compete for a ball.

The 90+2
01-01-2019, 06:31 PM
Charlie Adam slow as **** but can ping a pass would be a good option in the quarterback role.

The 90+2
01-01-2019, 06:32 PM
Happens in every derby- pace is so frantic and players scared to make mistakes so take the easy option.

The Hibs playing hoof ball is becoming a Hibs.net myth tho. We really don’t. Plenty decent balls played up to the strikers this season - a lot of weak hold
up play though.

And when we do... it’s not too much to ask anybody to at least try and compete for a ball.

I’m sure their goal came from Ambrose ****ting it, hitting it out the pitch they took the throw in hoof up to that boy and we’re behind.

Saying that even against the huns when they stood off us at the best of times there was a complete lack of ideas.

GreenPJ
01-01-2019, 06:33 PM

Kamberi might not be as suited at taking the ball back to goal or trying to compete with physical centre half’s but that is no excuse for not putting a 100% effort. He is currently lazy and when the ball isn’t at him he makes no attempt to get involved. Shaw whilst also not suited to trying to win and hold the back up was trying very hard in the derby to get involved.

The 90+2
01-01-2019, 06:36 PM
Kamberi might not be as suited at taking the ball back to goal or trying to compete with physical centre half’s but that is no excuse for not putting a 100% effort. He is currently lazy and when the ball isn’t at him he makes no attempt to get involved. Shaw whilst also not suited to trying to win and hold the back up was trying very hard in the derby to get involved.

The rest of the midfield also are lazy then because they do nothing but pass it back and then get Efe usually to punt it. That’s when they are failing to track opponents midfielders making runs to the end of our box.

hibsbollah
01-01-2019, 06:39 PM
The rest of the midfield also are lazy then because they do nothing but pass it back and then get Efe usually to punt it. That’s when they are failing to track opponents midfielders making runs to the end of our box.

I think 'lazy' is the most overused criticism in football. If a player is passing it backwards instead of forwards, not taking players on or resorting to long balls, all things we are guilty of, it's more likely to be down to lack of confidence than laziness .

IDHibs
01-01-2019, 07:02 PM
No one to take the ball from the defence. People used to criticize McGeouch and Fyvie for only playing short passes but that's exactly what we're missing. Fullbacks having to turn back. Central defenders hoofing it or passing between themselves. Fyvie would walk into this side. He's much better than Mallan. Ridiculous that he was allowed to go for free because he didn't sign quick enough but we waited for Milligan who is hopeless.

Definitely. Said it at the time that we should have never have let him leave. It's a sad day when the Arabs can offer a Hibs legend better terms than we were prepared to offer. Parsimonious penny pinching shortsightedness at which Hibs excel.

Brightside
01-01-2019, 07:03 PM
We need a new Dylan if we want to build from the back again.

The 90+2
01-01-2019, 07:18 PM
I think 'lazy' is the most overused criticism in football. If a player is passing it backwards instead of forwards, not taking players on or resorting to long balls, all things we are guilty of, it's more likely to be down to lack of confidence than laziness .

Was kind of the point I was making branding Flo’ lazy, Lazily 👍

IDHibs
01-01-2019, 07:20 PM

Efe and "punt it" in the same sentence? aye right. Point taken about the midfield though, they do appear lazy.

hibsbollah
01-01-2019, 07:22 PM
Was kind of the point I was making branding Flo’ lazy, Lazily 👍

I'm definitely more of a Lennon fan than a Lennon critic. I do think one criticism that could be levelled at his team is they are scared to try creative things and to make mistakes. I don't know if that's down to him, but it's not unrealistic to imagine that the players are intimidated by him a bit and that could be influencing their performances.

CockneyRebel
01-01-2019, 07:47 PM
Definitely. Said it at the time that we should have never have let him leave. It's a sad day when the Arabs can offer a Hibs legend better terms than we were prepared to offer. Parsimonious penny pinching shortsightedness at which Hibs excel.

He ended up at United bececause our offer was withdrawn as he took too long to decide. We were not outbid and I'm sure he will be on less money there - why would they offer him a bigger wage when he was unemployed?

The 90+2
01-01-2019, 07:50 PM
Efe and "punt it" in the same sentence? aye right. Point taken about the midfield though, they do appear lazy.

Sorry, Efe appears to be the only one tontske responsibility to make a pass or come with it when getting fkd off.

The 90+2
01-01-2019, 07:54 PM
I'm definitely more of a Lennon fan than a Lennon critic. I do think one criticism that could be levelled at his team is they are scared to try creative things and to make mistakes. I don't know if that's down to him, but it's not unrealistic to imagine that the players are intimidated by him a bit and that could be influencing their performances.

Dylan has his best half season in a hibs jersey the final six months of his contract after being ripped a few times about injuries maybe being in his head, he played with confidence and ability a bit like the swagger JC had knowing he was off soon. You probably have a point and and I would agree, Mackie seems to have the confidence though which still makes me think there’s a bit of a Collins situation going on where our 3 most confident players are Efe Lennons mate and the two youngsters most recently brought in. Just like when Lewis and Fletcher loved Collins.

IDHibs
01-01-2019, 11:28 PM
He ended up at United bececause our offer was withdrawn as he took too long to decide. We were not outbid and I'm sure he will be on less money there - why would they offer him a bigger wage when he was unemployed?

Do not kid yourself. He had every right to hold out for the best deal available, which is precisely what he did. I sure as hell would. without being ITK i would hazard that the Arabs offered a better package when you take into account signing on fees, bonuses etc. Otherwise he would have accepted Hibs deal at the last minute rather than be "unemployed".. Only my perspective of course.

IDHibs
01-01-2019, 11:30 PM
Sorry, Efe appears to be the only one tontske responsibility to make a pass or come with it when getting fkd off.

Correct...and while i'm at it hurry back Lewie :wink:

we are hibs
02-01-2019, 09:10 AM

up play though.

It's really not becoming a myth. The standard of football at times has been shocking. Lumping it up to kamberi and Shaw when the midfield aren't interested in looking for the ball. Not a coincidence we create more chances through efe bringing the ball forward than we do through this midfield doing the same.

neil7908
02-01-2019, 09:56 AM
It's really not becoming a myth. The standard of football at times has been shocking. Lumping it up to kamberi and Shaw when the midfield aren't interested in looking for the ball. Not a coincidence we create more chances through efe bringing the ball forward than we do through this midfield doing the same.

I agree. The football for the majority of the season hasn't been great. There have been some exciting performances where we've got the ball down and passed it but overall we seem to have regressed recently and lost any sense of cohesion or game plan.

We've definitely missed options out wide which has forced us to try and play everything through the middle.

JimBHibees
02-01-2019, 01:24 PM
Do not kid yourself. He had every right to hold out for the best deal available, which is precisely what he did. I sure as hell would. without being ITK i would hazard that the Arabs offered a better package when you take into account signing on fees, bonuses etc. Otherwise he would have accepted Hibs deal at the last minute rather than be "unemployed".. Only my perspective of course.

One of the key reasons he would have gone to United would have been guaranteed playing time which he wouldn't have got at Hibs. Also the semi final where he was taken off first half and he took a week to walk off would have hurt him a bit especially against his former team.

hibsbollah
02-01-2019, 02:55 PM

up play though.

If you can bear it, watch the second half of the derby again and you'll see there's no 'myth'; long ball after long ball, diagonal from wide to the edge of the box. Our strategy for coming back from a one goal deficit was ping the ball up to nobody hoping for a mistake a lucky bounce or a knockdown. It was baffling tactics and would have been questionable even if the execution was good, which it wasn't.

where'stheslope
03-01-2019, 03:24 PM
Efe did a great job of picking up and driving into their half, but with everyone in or around their penalty box his only option was to punt it into the box???
Midfield need to try and find space 30 to 35 yards from goal to give an option to anyone carrying the ball from the back!!!

RIP
05-01-2019, 03:54 PM
If you can bear it, watch the second half of the derby again and you'll see there's no 'myth'; long ball after long ball, diagonal from wide to the edge of the box. Our strategy for coming back from a one goal deficit was ping the ball up to nobody hoping for a mistake a lucky bounce or a knockdown. It was baffling tactics and would have been questionable even if the execution was good, which it wasn't.

The style of ‘anti-football’ is the reason why our strikers aren’t scoring like they did in the second half of last season. Instead of changing his tactics, Neil blames the forwards.

Jamie, Olly and Florian are fast two footed ball players, not target men or hold up merchants.