PDA

View Full Version : A Stuttgart fan's account of seeing the Hibees!

wearehibernian
29-12-2018, 02:37 PM
Thought I would post this up. Maybe some light relief from the nerves today.
Tobi is a German friend that I took along to watch Hibs recently and is now a big fan of the club!

(Written by Tobi - Stuttgart fan)
I have to confess that I was a Celtic fan back in the 90s. The St. Pauli-connection, the history and the fans (especially at European away games) lead me that way and a few visits to games in Glasgow confirmed my 'rebel's choice' back then.
But then came Irvine Welsh books, the Cup Final, Sunshine on Leith after the game (on YouTube) and then Andy gave me his book "We are Hibernian".
After reading it in only two days something happened. Something that, in my opinion, a football fan can do abroad but never at home: I changed my team and became a Hibs fan!
When I saw that Hibs were playing Celtic and Rangers at Easter Road in the same week I decided to come over for the two games. Before the trip I promised Andy 4 points - 1 against Celtic and 3 against the Huns. I expected poor football and maybe an average home support because Hibs had not done well in the games before. I was also looking forward to seeing and hearing 'the best fans in the world'. Well, things turned out to be the other way round...
After three quick pints early in the morning (kick-off at 12.30 is a violation of human rights) we entered Easter Road right on time for kick-off. Before we even found our places Slivka scored. Not a bad start and we got ready for 89 minutes of defensive football. But to my surprise Hibs held Celtic away from their goal and still continued playing nice football. We even got better and far more chances than them. After going 2:0 up I never had the impression that Hibs would lose. Sunshine on Leith after the game was pure magic and I was wondering if I would be allowed to go back home if we managed another victory on the Wednesday.
The biggest disappointment of the afternoon was the away end. Two songs in 90 minutes? Don't know if it was the early kick-off or protest against the reduction of the away tickets. The Hibs support was good and sometimes the whole stadium joined in the songs. In Germany we always admired hearing this in Scottish and English grounds. A very good first visit to Easter Road.
Sadly on Wednesday Rangers were better on and louder off the pitch so we were lucky not to lose because of the four or five big chances the huns had. In the second half it was a little bit better and two good Hibs chances could have lead to a surprise but in the end we left Easter Road quite satisfied.
My trip to Edinburgh was a great experience and I already have plans for another visit at the end of next year to see Hibs against Hearts. We will see...
Thanks to Andy for the tickets and taking me around Leith.
Glory to the Hibees!

JXM73
29-12-2018, 02:40 PM
👍

JeMeSouviens
29-12-2018, 02:48 PM
Haste ye back, Tobi.

The Green Goblin
29-12-2018, 02:48 PM
Nice one!

Joe6-2
29-12-2018, 03:20 PM
Wunderbar!!

Cat Stanton
29-12-2018, 04:04 PM
Amusingly weird seeing a German refer to "the Huns"...