PDA

View Full Version : Enemy of the people

humptiedumptie
27-12-2018, 07:43 PM
Watched the game from the Copland Road Stand. Originally meant to be three of us, a Leith Bluenose,a fellow retiree and myself, maybe the last time. It`s about being able to sit and the only available seats together were in the family stand behind the opposite goals so the Bluenose got the one ticket for me.I chose to walk to Ibrox from the bus station eventually via the Clyde Walkway, crossing at Bells Bridge beside the BBC studios then past the Louden Tavern, an establishment hard to imagine open on any other but match days with long queues waiting to enter and past Copland Road subway. Once the game got underway, their first noticeable excitement was the score coming from Pittodrie and the possibility of a step towards the title,eventually knocked on the head. Then as our game progressed their attention was drawn to the fenian ******* of a referee,eventually one of the more erudite revealing that it was Andrew Dallas. Then the favourite scored...…..ALFREDO. And as the sectarian chants began to increase it became clear that most emanated from The Family Stand, the section furthest away from the Hibs support. Then as more and more Rangers players tackles were penalised and Hibs players uncarded, they became more convinced of the wrong constantly done to them by match officials and when Neil Lennon was called out as a Fenian *******, their conclusions were twofold that it was yet more opportunity for him to play the victim card and that the media would be creaming themselves on this latest outpouring from the supporters and more grist to their anti- Rangers fans agenda. They became more uneasy at the solitary goal advantage and the substitution of Hyndman a chance to remark on THAT ****, 20 games for them and a waste of a jersey until IT HAPPENED, Hibs equalised, cue exodus cue despair and the pleasing on the ear, rendition of Walking Away The Rangers way from the band of Hibs fans in the away end.

H18 SFR
27-12-2018, 07:46 PM
Interesting post. I couldn't sit with them.

CmoantheHibs
27-12-2018, 07:48 PM
Did you get involved with any chat with them?

Hi Heid Yin
27-12-2018, 07:56 PM
Watched the game from the Copland Road Stand. Originally meant to be three of us, a Leith Bluenose,a fellow retiree and myself, maybe the last time. It`s about being able to sit and the only available seats together were in the family stand behind the opposite goals so the Bluenose got the one ticket for me.I chose to walk to Ibrox from the bus station eventually via the Clyde Walkway, crossing at Bells Bridge beside the BBC studios then past the Louden Tavern, an establishment hard to imagine open on any other but match days with long queues waiting to enter and past Copland Road subway. Once the game got underway, their first noticeable excitement was the score coming from Pittodrie and the possibility of a step towards the title,eventually knocked on the head. Then as our game progressed their attention was drawn to the fenian ******* of a referee,eventually one of the more erudite revealing that it was Andrew Dallas. Then the favourite scored...…..ALFREDO. And as the sectarian chants began to increase it became clear that most emanated from The Family Stand, the section furthest away from the Hibs support. Then as more and more Rangers players tackles were penalised and Hibs players uncarded, they became more convinced of the wrong constantly done to them by match officials and when Neil Lennon was called out as a Fenian *******, their conclusions were twofold that it was yet more opportunity for him to play the victim card and that the media would be creaming themselves on this latest outpouring from the supporters and more grist to their anti- Rangers fans agenda. They became more uneasy at the solitary goal advantage and the substitution of Hyndman a chance to remark on THAT ****, 20 games for them and a waste of a jersey until IT HAPPENED, Hibs equalised, cue exodus cue despair and the pleasing on the ear, rendition of Walking Away The Rangers way from the band of Hibs fans in the away end.

You sir, are a brave man!

Thank you for that insight.

IDHibs
27-12-2018, 08:01 PM
class post :agree: :top marks

i had the dubious pleasure of attending the 6-1 drubbing they gave us courtesy of a Colin Stein hat trick. Went through on the Hawkhill branch bus and Maud (Mrs Mac) for whatever reason shepherded us to the Copland Road end. what a warm welcoming place it is/was.

Also was an attendee at the "Marinello makes a bee line for the goal" game...3-1 we gubbed them. Was in the Broamloan end and never been so **** scared in my life. Fighting amongst themselves and the rules of engagement were firmly not applied. Razors, bottles and steel toe cap boots were the order of the day. 78,000 there that day. complete and utter imbeciles

thebakerboy
27-12-2018, 08:11 PM

i had the dubious pleasure of attending the 6-1 drubbing they gave us courtesy of a Colin Stein hat trick. Went through on the Hawkhill branch bus and Maud (Mrs Mac) for whatever reason shepherded us to the Copland Road end. what a warm welcoming place it is/was.

Also was an attendee at the "Marinello makes a bee line for the goal" game...3-1 we gubbed them. Was in the Broamloan end and never been so **** scared in my life. Fighting amongst themselves and the rules of engagement were firmly not applied. Razors, bottles and steel toe cap boots were the order of the day. 78,000 there that day. complete and utter imbeciles
I was at the Marinello game as well, finished work at the Waverley station jumped on a train with a mate and went for a couple before game and missed KO , so just dived in at first turnstyle we came to( you could walk round terracing in those days) climbed the stairs and found a spot as young Peter ran in to score the first goal , started to jump up and down and then realised we were at the wrong end and started to run with a few chasing us , got to the safety of a large group of Hibees just in time . what a day.

eastterrace
27-12-2018, 08:21 PM
I was at the Marinello game as well, finished work at the Waverley station jumped on a train with a mate and went for a couple before game and missed KO , so just dived in at first turnstyle we came to( you could walk round terracing in those days) climbed the stairs and found a spot as young Peter ran in to score the first goal , started to jump up and down and then realised we were at the wrong end and started to run with a few chasing us , got to the safety of a large group of Hibees just in time . what a day.

Yes I was at the game and remember us being surrounded by them but cant remember what end it was memory a bit clouded.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

IDHibs
27-12-2018, 08:26 PM

i'll wager i was in that group.... my older brother got a boot up the arse and did a runner leaving me on my Jack. :grr:

IDHibs
27-12-2018, 08:27 PM
Yes I was at the game and remember us being surrounded by them but cant remember what end it was memory a bit clouded.

broomloan end ****** nightmare

thebakerboy
27-12-2018, 08:29 PM

It was a long time ago and a lot of alcohol was involved that day and ever since , at least in my case, so no problem with memory being cloudy.

eastterrace
27-12-2018, 08:37 PM
broomloan end ****** nightmare

Think we had not more than a few hundred of us , mind them breathing down our necks well it felt like that.

Austinho
27-12-2018, 08:43 PM
And none of them picked up on the smell of human coming from you?

Sir David Gray
27-12-2018, 08:53 PM
Fair play to you, I'd rather stick my privates in a meat grinder than sit in the home end of Ibrox.

IDHibs
27-12-2018, 08:55 PM
Think we had not more than a few hundred of us , mind them breathing down our necks well it felt like that.

Yeah we went on the SMT excursion from St Andrews square...double decker. Some bampot Hun managed to board it as we were parked up waiting for a few stragglers. Clown tried to crack a Lambrusco bottle with the obvious intention of causing GBH. thankfully he was carted off before he could accomplish his mission.

Lago
27-12-2018, 09:00 PM
A sad description, a ''Leith Blue Nose' and there right away is one of the major reasons Scottish football will always struggle to be competitive, buses leaving Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Dundee, Ayr, Hamilton Kelso for Parkhead/Ibrox. Down South, in the main fans support their local team.

Sylar
27-12-2018, 09:12 PM
Fair play to you, I'd rather stick my privates in a meat grinder than sit in the home end of Ibrox.

I've done it a few times - mother in law and her dad are season ticket holders in the Club Deck and I've done hospitality a twice. It can be a truly horrifying experience, made worse depending on who they're playing.

I was at the Old Firm game last year when Celtc pumped them 5-1. The atmosphere was complete and utter poison, start to finish. And I had the joy of being on a West Lothian-based supporters bus with my grandfather-in-law on the way home. True neanderthals!

I was in hospitality at Ibrox for the 3-0 drubbing we gave them when Sproule got his hattrick - sitting still was nigh on impossible. Sure a few around me sussed it by the end of the game, but there wasn't QUITE the hatred then that there seems to be now.

Ringothedog
27-12-2018, 09:15 PM

Had a few drinks in central Glasgow, subway to Ibrox and decided we would have a few drinks in the Louden, what a vile place that is, sectarian songs being belted out, I had an idea what it would be like so wasn’t shocked.

BILLYHIBS
27-12-2018, 09:18 PM
Remember listening to the 3-0 game on Radio Scotland

At 5.30 pm ran up to the Newsagent at Slateford Road ( No not Johnny Hamilton’s) and there it was for all the world to see in splendid pink the headline:

” PUNCHINELLO ROCKS THE GERS!”

:not worth

Sylar
27-12-2018, 09:19 PM
A sad description, a ''Leith Blue Nose' and there right away is one of the major reasons Scottish football will always struggle to be competitive, buses leaving Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Dundee, Ayr, Hamilton Kelso for Parkhead/Ibrox. Down South, in the main fans support their local team.

That's just not true!

Granted, I doubt many Brighton or Bournemouth fans reside too far from the south coast, but Old Trafford, the Etihad, Stamford Bridge, the Emirates, Annfield and Wembley attract fans from all over the country week in, week out, as well as a regular stream of football tourists.

I played weekly fives when I was living in Guildford, and the strips on display across the 4 pitches in that particular complex covered the length and breadth of England.

Hibeesmad
27-12-2018, 09:20 PM
I wouldn’t be able to help myself from celebrating if we scored at any ground, especially at Ibrox

Austinho
27-12-2018, 09:48 PM
I wouldn’t be able to help myself from celebrating if we scored at any ground, especially at IbroxOnce found myself sat in the directors box at Tynecastle, next to the Scotland Manager at the time. Riordan got a freekick in the 93rd minute, so I stood in the gangway ready to go mental and make a quick getaway. Blasted it over the bar somewhere around Oxgangs. Probably the best time to witness a 0-0.

Sir David Gray
27-12-2018, 10:01 PM
I've done it a few times - mother in law and her dad are season ticket holders in the Club Deck and I've done hospitality a twice. It can be a truly horrifying experience, made worse depending on who they're playing.

I was at the Old Firm game last year when Celtc pumped them 5-1. The atmosphere was complete and utter poison, start to finish. And I had the joy of being on a West Lothian-based supporters bus with my grandfather-in-law on the way home. True neanderthals!

I was in hospitality at Ibrox for the 3-0 drubbing we gave them when Sproule got his hattrick - sitting still was nigh on impossible. Sure a few around me sussed it by the end of the game, but there wasn't QUITE the hatred then that there seems to be now.

I honestly couldn't think of anything worse.

Weegreenman
28-12-2018, 12:10 AM

Ahhhhhhh....Maud, now there’s a blast from the past. A name I’ve often thought of when thinking about our recent cup win and how lucky we all were to be part of that special day when good Hibs folk like Maud who followed Hibs home and away never got to see it unfortunately. RIP Maud.xx

Sylar
28-12-2018, 01:12 AM

Tne quality of their hospitality used to be as good as any I'd experienced, but I otherwise agree with you wholeheartedly :greengrin

cabbageandribs1875
28-12-2018, 02:52 AM
Ahhhhhhh....Maud, now there’s a blast from the past. A name I’ve often thought of when thinking about our recent cup win and how lucky we all were to be part of that special day when good Hibs folk like Maud who followed Hibs home and away never got to see it unfortunately. RIP Maud.xx

this :agree: and so many others

malcolm
28-12-2018, 08:38 AM

I've done it a few times - mother in law and her dad are season ticket holders in the Club Deck and I've done hospitality a twice. It can be a truly horrifying experience, made worse depending on who they're playing.....

I’d have imagined that was something you could only do once! :wink:

Tom Hart RIP
28-12-2018, 09:01 AM
Watched the Gordon Hunter game from the old enclosure in the current main stand at Tynecastle.
Limited Hibs allocation due to work in the Gorgie Road end so only ticket I could get.
Few Hibbies in there who were thrown out after being identified so I kept quiet.
Thought I was going to explode😄
Went mental when I eventually joined fellow Hibbies at full time

One Day
28-12-2018, 09:22 AM

I've been twice in the away end at Ibrox one a nil nil draw and the other a 2-1 win for the Hibs. Both were horrendous experiences. At the 2-1 game Hibs were winning 2 nil and they were all leaving plenty room all around me. Then they scored and the all came running back in and sat all around me for last 5 mins or so. I was sure they could tell. Never been happier to get back to the car

Lago
28-12-2018, 11:37 AM
That's just not true!

Granted, I doubt many Brighton or Bournemouth fans reside too far from the south coast, but Old Trafford, the Etihad, Stamford Bridge, the Emirates, Annfield and Wembley attract fans from all over the country week in, week out, as well as a regular stream of football tourists.

I played weekly fives when I was living in Guildford, and the strips on display across the 4 pitches in that particular complex covered the length and breadth of England.
I too lived & worked down South, Stevenage, & yes you did get the Spurs/Arsenal support, but then it was a London overspill town. In the main people support their local team attendance at the majority of grounds is high, unlike Scotland. The stream of Celtic/Rangers buses leaving Fife for games has to be seen to believed.

Lago
28-12-2018, 11:43 AM
Could be a supporter having moved to Leith from Govan still supporting his team.
Are Raith Rovers in the Championship or the 1st division these days?
Could be, but having worked in Edinburgh I met many local born OF supporters, unfortunately, League 1, 10 points behind Arbroath who top the table.