PDA

View Full Version : Australian situation

eastcoasthibby
26-12-2018, 10:29 PM
Where are people with this situation, where it seems like the Australian National team manager or FA are calling the players in earlier than their teams expected or had agreed ? !!
From the interviews with both Lennon and Rodgers last week, it seemed that the squad being pulled together before our last games before the winter break wasn't what they expected. So why would it be that way yet, it seems that there is no way of telling them that we pay their wages and need them here for a couple of days to fulfill their obligations to us.
Surely dates or.an agreement were in place before this has appeared as an issue in the past 2 weeks.

jodjam
26-12-2018, 10:34 PM
They could have insisted they didn’t play today. Shame we are losing them but that’s international football

Billy Whizz
26-12-2018, 10:40 PM
If Milligan was injured today, where does it lead him with his call up

Future17
26-12-2018, 10:42 PM
Where are people with this situation, where it seems like the Australian National team manager or FA are calling the players in earlier than their teams expected or had agreed ? !!
From the interviews with both Lennon and Rodgers last week, it seemed that the squad being pulled together before our last games before the winter break wasn't what they expected. So why would it be that way yet, it seems that there is no way of telling them that we pay their wages and need them here for a couple of days to fulfill their obligations to us.
Surely dates or.an agreement were in place before this has appeared as an issue in the past 2 weeks.

I think you've got that wrong.

FilipinoHibs
27-12-2018, 12:40 AM
I think you've got that wrong.

Under FIFA rules should have missed the Rangers games. Oz gave us dispensation and was all agreed some time ago. Never going to play in Derby. Only Celtic have been moaning about it. So says Oz manager

Future17
27-12-2018, 03:59 AM
Under FIFA rules should have missed the Rangers games. Oz gave us dispensation and was all agreed some time ago. Never going to play in Derby. Only Celtic have been moaning about it. So says Oz manager

Yeah, that's what I thought. Not sure where the OP is coming from.

Forza Fred
27-12-2018, 05:33 AM
Yep, not a case of us negotiating with the FFA over their release.

Whether we like it or not....and personally I don’t.....Oz did everything according to FIFA regulations, and even showed a bit leeway to let them play at Ibrox, and the players had to miss the derby.

The Asian Championship is the equivalent of your European Championship, and Oz are current holders.

The African Nations is another tournament that European clubs do not like as several ‘big’ clubs lose players for that.

There is no ‘right or wrong’ to this, and such situations will continue to arise as long as there is international football.

Hibs DID get the option to postpone the derby, but the club chose not to.

Steve20
27-12-2018, 05:55 AM
The players should be playing for Hibs.

Forza Fred
27-12-2018, 09:37 AM

Unfortunately, FIFA regulations say otherwise.

Not much point debating it.

overdrive
27-12-2018, 09:40 AM

Lennon was moaning about it as well. He implied there had been some sort of arrangement where we only released two of the players (presumably keeping Boyle I would imagine) before the Hearts game.

eastcoasthibby
27-12-2018, 09:40 AM
Thanks for the rules clarification folks ....as stated I thought I picked up something questionable in comments made, which now seems strange for it to even have been mentioned if rules exist as have been highlighted.
The Australian trio's situation really is an issue given the impact its had on their form and performances around the previous breaks.
It's amazing how McLaren wasnt fit and ready to play for us during at least one of the previous Australian squad get togethers, but of he went and was fine. Milligan is apparently injured, yet will no doubt be fine I expect to Captain them in their first game ! did he invoke the "I should be away with my country rule against Sevco ?" hence not in the squad/injured ?
Wonder what condition they will be in when they eventually come back ? In reality fitness and sharpness they should be right up there, it's almost a stick on, that at least one will not be fit too play when they come back, and I am going for 2 of them not being ok to play on return.
Whilst everyone has mixed views in their actual value to us so far this season, I actually think they all add value to us.
Nothing we can do about it, but having players away for so long and so often, impacts on clubs like ourselves, I think.

Sir David Gray
27-12-2018, 10:22 AM
Thanks for the rules clarification folks ....as stated I thought I picked up something questionable in comments made, which now seems strange for it to even have been mentioned if rules exist as have been highlighted.
The Australian trio's situation really is an issue given the impact its had on their form and performances around the previous breaks.
It's amazing how McLaren wasnt fit and ready to play for us during at least one of the previous Australian squad get togethers, but of he went and was fine. Milligan is apparently injured, yet will no doubt be fine I expect to Captain them in their first game ! did he invoke the "I should be away with my country rule against Sevco ?" hence not in the squad/injured ?
Wonder what condition they will be in when they eventually come back ? In reality fitness and sharpness they should be right up there, it's almost a stick on, that at least one will not be fit too play when they come back, and I am going for 2 of them not being ok to play on return.
Whilst everyone has mixed views in their actual value to us so far this season, I actually think they all add value to us.
Nothing we can do about it, but having players away for so long and so often, impacts on clubs like ourselves, I think.

With the exception of Boyle (who has only recently agreed to play for Australia) we knew what we were getting into when we signed these guys, especially Milligan who has been a mainstay in the Australia squad for years and has been their captain.

I'm not chuffed at the prospect of going into the derby without them but the club had the option to postpone it and decided not to.

FilipinoHibs
27-12-2018, 11:41 AM
Lennon was moaning about it as well. He implied there had been some sort of arrangement where we only released two of the players (presumably keeping Boyle I would imagine) before the Hearts game.

That is not what the Australian FA are saying. Only heard from Rogers. They made it clear to Celtic & Hibs the payers stay could be extended to 26th but not longer. Spurs South Korean star is off after boxing day game. Think Rogers just trying it on. This Asian Cup like the European Championships to Europeans. It is big over here an Australia one if the favourites. To avoid this just keep to European players. But outside our pay range so we just have to lump it.

bingo70
27-12-2018, 11:48 AM
I think it's great for the players and I just hope they come back with a spring in their step, full of confidence and better players for the experience.

Disappointing to lose them for The Derby but it is what it is, no point in moaning about it. I can completely understand why the Oz FA can't give dispensation to one club as they have a big game, if he lets our three play he needs to let Rogic play for Celtic and who knows what can of worms that opens for other European based players.

It's also possible Boyle could have an excellent tournament which could add significant value to him should any clubs be hovering about with interest.

Overall i think it's a good thing that won't do the profile of our club any harm either. We should be good enough to pump Hearts regardless.

Future17
27-12-2018, 11:48 AM

Why?

Diclonius
27-12-2018, 12:05 PM
Why don't these tournaments take place at the same time as the Euros? Loss of TV revenue?

bigwheel
27-12-2018, 12:15 PM
Why don't these tournaments take place at the same time as the Euros? Loss of TV revenue?

I'm guessing for Asian & Australian clubs this is their close season....

FilipinoHibs
27-12-2018, 12:16 PM

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/3663619/graham-arnold-brendan-rodgers-tom-rogic-celtic-australia-neil-lennon-boyle-maclaren-milligan/

Apologies Sun link.

SquashedFrogg
27-12-2018, 12:20 PM
I think it's great for the players and I just hope they come back with a spring in their step, full of confidence and better players for the experience.

Disappointing to lose them for The Derby but it is what it is, no point in moaning about it. I can completely understand why the Oz FA can't give dispensation to one club as they have a big game, if he lets our three play he needs to let Rogic play for Celtic and who knows what can of worms that opens for other European based players.

It's also possible Boyle could have an excellent tournament which could add significant value to him should any clubs be hovering about with interest.

Overall i think it's a good thing that won't do the profile of our club any harm either. We should be good enough to pump Hearts regardless.

Couldn't agree more with this. Disappointing but there are many positives.

Forza Fred
27-12-2018, 06:14 PM

Surprising as it may seem to someone living in Scotland, the football calendar throughout the rest of the world does not necessarily mirror that of the Uk.

Don’t mean that in a sarcastic way, and would have probably said the same thing prior to me emigrating.

Even within Asia, there are different season starting times among the various countries.

1van Sprou7e
27-12-2018, 07:06 PM
Believe it or not but we will have more players missing due to this tournament than any other team in Europe

c31
27-12-2018, 07:28 PM
The final is 1st feb. So if they go all the way it would be at least the 8th feb before they are back

hibbyfraelibby
27-12-2018, 07:34 PM
Believe it or not but we will have more players missing due to this tournament than any other team in Europe

Does that mean we will get a bumper pay out?

Sir David Gray
27-12-2018, 07:44 PM

It's being played in the UAE, one of the reasons it's not taking place in July is the same as why the 2022 World Cup in Qatar is being played in December.

It's far too hot to play football in that part of the world in July.

joebakerforever
27-12-2018, 09:04 PM
With the final of the Tournament scheduled for 1st February, there is a possibility that Australia could progress to the final.

Looking at Hibs league fixtures, they are Motherwell (a) 23/1, St Mirren (a) 27/1 & Aberdeen (h) 2/2.

Given under FIFA rules, we would be entitled to request postponements by having 2+ players involved, I reckon we should seriously consider taking such action, if Australia are still involved.

Does anybody know if we can do this, and how much notice we require to give the SPL?

P.S. I assume we can feel confident enough to take Elgin on in the Cup on 19/1 without the trio.

Forza Fred
27-12-2018, 11:16 PM
The final is 1st feb. So if they go all the way it would be at least the 8th feb before they are back

Given injuries and the Socceroo squad selected, methinks semi final is probably as far as they will go.

Sir David Gray
27-12-2018, 11:51 PM
With the final of the Tournament scheduled for 1st February, there is a possibility that Australia could progress to the final.

Looking at Hibs league fixtures, they are Motherwell (a) 23/1, St Mirren (a) 27/1 & Aberdeen (h) 2/2.

Given under FIFA rules, we would be entitled to request postponements by having 2+ players involved, I reckon we should seriously consider taking such action, if Australia are still involved.

Does anybody know if we can do this, and how much notice we require to give the SPL?

P.S. I assume we can feel confident enough to take Elgin on in the Cup on 19/1 without the trio.

I would seriously consider postponing all three depending on how long the injury list is by then. If it's still as long as it is now we should definitely do it.

We're going to struggle to name a full bench on Saturday.

Forza Fred
28-12-2018, 12:54 AM
I would seriously consider postponing all three depending on how long the injury list is by then. If it's still as long as it is now we should definitely do it.

We're going to struggle to name a full bench on Saturday.

My understanding is that after the Hearts game, it will be monitored on a game by game basis, and if thought necessary, postponements will be requested.

Sproule Three
28-12-2018, 05:29 AM
My understanding is that after the Hearts game, it will be monitored on a game by game basis, and if thought necessary, postponements will be requested.

Complications eh. Who was that daft Hibee with dual citizenship that agreed to sign Boyles paperwork eh ? -;)

Gatecrasher
28-12-2018, 08:20 AM
Hibs should have called the Derby off, it wouldn't have been a popular decision but we are missing too many key players for this one from international call ups and otherwise.

Forza Fred
28-12-2018, 09:25 AM
Complications eh. Who was that daft Hibee with dual citizenship that agreed to sign Boyles paperwork eh ? -;)

Some radge from the northern beaches of Sydney I am told.....

danhibees1875
28-12-2018, 09:41 AM
What's the earliest Australia could be knocked out? Is it like the Euros/WC where they have a group stage first?

Edit: they play Jordan, Palestine, and Syria which takes them to the 15th. Don't imagine they'll lose anything there. :dunno:

Billy Whizz
28-12-2018, 09:57 AM
Hibs could possibly apply to postpone all games in Jan/Feb while Australia are still in the tournament. Hope we don’t though
Early recruitment is key in the forthcoming transfer window to bolster the squad

ozwoody
28-12-2018, 12:08 PM
The info I’m hearing is that Graham Arnold had not discussed when training camp was with Scottish clubs , letting the clubs think that they could play their Australian players who could then join after derby games.
The clubs have been blindsided by the players being refused to play in their respective derbies and the clubs are furious

eastcoasthibby
28-12-2018, 03:07 PM
So the initial, we will be without them for the winter break period now extends to possibly 5 games minimum and possibly 6 if they get to the final ! And then who knows what they will be like when they eventually get back !!
I get the dilemma of cancelling games, as it not only adds to fixture congestion, but also stops the rest of the squad staying match fit/sharp ...the big one is the Derby and it seems there has been a lack of clarity ...no matter what Aussie boss say's, with him being here a month or so ago there should have been no doubt about their availability.

Forza Fred
28-12-2018, 08:25 PM
So the initial, we will be without them for the winter break period now extends to possibly 5 games minimum and possibly 6 if they get to the final ! And then who knows what they will be like when they eventually get back !!
I get the dilemma of cancelling games, as it not only adds to fixture congestion, but also stops the rest of the squad staying match fit/sharp ...the big one is the Derby and it seems there has been a lack of clarity ...no matter what Aussie boss say's, with him being here a month or so ago there should have been no doubt about their availability.

But surely even if he posted the dates of the pre tournament camp in the front page of the Edinburgh Evening News every day for 6 weeks prior, it still would not have made any difference if they were required to play, as their release was within FIFA’s rules?

Steve-O
29-12-2018, 07:43 AM
I'm guessing for Asian & Australian clubs this is their close season....

Middle of the season in Australia too

Steve-O
29-12-2018, 07:48 AM
It's being played in the UAE, one of the reasons it's not taking place in July is the same as why the 2022 World Cup in Qatar is being played in December.

It's far too hot to play football in that part of the world in July.

The last tournament was in Australia, in January (summer), it’s just when they play it.

Ryan69
30-12-2018, 12:17 PM
If Milligan was injured the otherday...He has made an amazing recovery.

Starting and captaining Australia at the moment.

WestStandWillie
30-12-2018, 12:18 PM
Australia can gtf. We pay the players wages.

wookie70
30-12-2018, 12:19 PM
2-0 Aussies with Boyle and McLaren on the bench. Oman are terrible

Ryan69
30-12-2018, 12:23 PM
2-0 Aussies with Boyle and McLaren on the bench. Oman are terrible

Guaranteed McLaren will come on and double his goal tally for the whole season.

Connollys11
30-12-2018, 12:39 PM
I thought it was up to the players if they went on international duty or not? Just read an article about the aussie situation and rogic apparently apologised to Celtic fans yesterday saying it was out of his hands!

tamig
30-12-2018, 12:58 PM
I thought it was up to the players if they went on international duty or not? Just read an article about the aussie situation and rogic apparently apologised to Celtic fans yesterday saying it was out of his hands!

Of course they can refuse. They’d be effectively giving up on their international careers though. Not something I’d think a lot of players would want to do unless they were at the tail end of their career and nothing more than bit part players. Not a position any of our three are in.

G B Young
30-12-2018, 07:05 PM
A 5-0 cruise for the Socceroos in what was effectively a training match. Milligan was on from the start before being subbed in the second half when both Boyle and Maclaren came on.

SquashedFrogg
30-12-2018, 07:09 PM
Guaranteed McLaren will come on and double his goal tally for the whole season.

Your slaughtering of Hibs players is relentless. Do you ever have any happiness in your life?

grunt
01-01-2019, 05:02 PM
Martin Boyle injured and heading home early.

Radium
01-01-2019, 05:03 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190101/bc266580539320b3eaf05a43b6e50499.jpg

Football Federation Australia (FFA) regret to advise that attacker Martin Boyle will miss the AFC Asian Cup UAE 2019[emoji769] due to injury.

Boyle sustained a contact injury to his knee late in Australia’s 5-0 win over Oman on Sunday and following a review with Australia’s medical team in the Middle East, the decision has been made to withdraw him from the tournament.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Danderhall Hibs
01-01-2019, 05:18 PM
FFS what a waste of time. You’ve got to wonder how much him electing to play for Australia had been worth to him. Certainly a costly choice for us.

Bristolhibby
01-01-2019, 05:20 PM
From the Hibs Facebook.

⚽️| Martin Boyle picked up a knee injury late on in Australia's Asian Cup warm-up victory over Oman on Sunday and will return to Scotland for treatment immediately. An update will follow when he has been fully assessed.

▶️ www.socceroos.com.au/news/martin-boyle-miss-afc-asian-cup-uae-2019-due-injury

Ralphy C
01-01-2019, 05:27 PM
From the Hibs Facebook.

⚽️| Martin Boyle picked up a knee injury late on in Australia's Asian Cup warm-up victory over Oman on Sunday and will return to Scotland for treatment immediately. An update will follow when he has been fully assessed.

▶️ www.socceroos.com.au/news/martin-boyle-miss-afc-asian-cup-uae-2019-due-injury (http://www.socceroos.com.au/news/martin-boyle-miss-afc-asian-cup-uae-2019-due-injury)

Hibs should have called the Derby off, it wouldn't have been a popular decision but we are missing too many key players for this one from international call ups and otherwise.
Had it been at Tyncastle they would have imo

eastcoasthibby
02-01-2019, 12:51 PM
Milligan injury for Sevco game away, fact or protecting himself from injury for the Aussie Asian Cup games ...started and played full game against Oman , raises my concerns about his commitment to us !!

H18S NX
02-01-2019, 12:57 PM
Milligan injury for Sevco game away, fact or protecting himself from injury for the Aussie Asian Cup games ...started and played full game against Oman , raises my concerns about his commitment to us !!....and mine.

bingo70
02-01-2019, 02:09 PM
Milligan injury for Sevco game away, fact or protecting himself from injury for the Aussie Asian Cup games ...started and played full game against Oman , raises my concerns about his commitment to us !!

Why? There was about 2 weeks between those matches were there not?

Perfectly feasible for an injury to clear up in that time frame.

Real Emerald
02-01-2019, 02:28 PM
Had it been at Tyncastle they would have imo

Hearts would definitely have called it off. They would do anything to help win a derby, beating Hibs is the one thing they live for. On the other hand we have pandered to TV schedules and folks drinking plans and have given no priority in giving us the best chance of winning. If that’s our focus then we have to live with the result.

Wouldn’t have been my choice.

BoomtownHibees
02-01-2019, 02:55 PM
Hearts would definitely have called it off. They would do anything to help win a derby, beating Hibs is the one thing they live for. On the other hand we have pandered to TV schedules and folks drinking plans and have given no priority in giving us the best chance of winning. If that’s our focus then we have to live with the result.

Wouldn’t have been my choice.

You really think Hibs chose to play the game because of folks drinking plans? And why would TV scheduling have been considered by Hibs?

We should have had more than enough to beat them despite the 3 being away with Australia

JimBHibees
02-01-2019, 03:03 PM

About 4 days which if you include travelling a quick recovery from not being able to play to playing a full match.

Sir David Gray
02-01-2019, 05:42 PM

There was less than 4 days between the games.

We played Rangers on Boxing Day at 3pm and Australia played Oman at 12pm GMT on 30th December.

Real Emerald
02-01-2019, 06:34 PM
You really think Hibs chose to play the game because of folks drinking plans? And why would TV scheduling have been considered by Hibs?

We should have had more than enough to beat them despite the 3 being away with Australia

The three players away was our get put off jail card. We had many more problems on top of that and put us in a situation that I’m convinced Hearts would have used to their advantage. We chose to play it rather get out of an awkward situation, we lost. The reasons for keeping the game on would have been heavily influenced by my previous points, don’t you think? TV, people’s plans, sold out tickets. All of this IMHO trumpet the disadvantage on the pitch. Hearts would have taken the pitch advantage as beating Hibs is their over riding priority. It’s all a bit hypocritical though and a bit pointless now. We have to learn and move on.

Forza Fred
03-01-2019, 05:12 AM

A good story.

Unfortunately it contains errors of fact.

Milligan did not play a full game against Oman.

Viva_Palmeiras
05-01-2019, 01:54 AM
The three players away was our get put off jail card. We had many more problems on top of that and put us in a situation that I’m convinced Hearts would have used to their advantage. We chose to play it rather get out of an awkward situation, we lost. The reasons for keeping the game on would have been heavily influenced by my previous points, don’t you think? TV, people’s plans, sold out tickets. All of this IMHO trumpet the disadvantage on the pitch. Hearts would have taken the pitch advantage as beating Hibs is their over riding priority. It’s all a bit hypocritical though and a bit pointless now. We have to learn and move on.

Arguably given form Bigger loss is Efe. It’s not like Lennon didn’t weigh up the options. So we played with him (and he had a storming performance) but we lost. As you say move on.

Speedy
05-01-2019, 01:29 PM

Hearts were missing players as well so there's no guarantee we'd be in a better position when it was re-arranged. We do know it would contribute to another fixture pile up.

Danderhall Hibs
05-01-2019, 04:57 PM
Hearts were missing players as well so there's no guarantee we'd be in a better position when it was re-arranged. We do know it would contribute to another fixture pile up.

Not missing as many as we were. Also we were in the middle of a fixture pile up and postponing would’ve eased that and we’d easily have been able to rearrange the one game (surely that wouldn’t make a pile up?)

Connollys11
05-01-2019, 05:06 PM
I agree mate no one would be batting an eyelid had we won or even drawn.

Gmack7
06-01-2019, 03:43 PM
Has Boyle played a competitive game for Australia yet?, if not could he still represent Scotland?

Sir David Gray
06-01-2019, 03:48 PM
Has Boyle played a competitive game for Australia yet?, if not could he still represent Scotland?

He's only played in friendlies so far for Australia and is eligible to play for Scotland until he plays in a competitive match for them.