PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (The Rangers 261218)

Jonnyboy
26-12-2018, 08:44 PM
Safely home from the cauldron of hate I have to say that although the home support can make attendance there uncomfortable, it can be a rewarding experience as Hibs have a very good record there in recent times and today was no exception. Given that the Rangers played us off the park at Easter Road recently, this was a much improved performance by the men in green and white and we certainly deserved a share of the spoils.

After last week’s struggle against Livingston, Lenny rang the changes again with five in total. Porteous and Milligan missed out, presumably due to injury whilst Lewis Allan was not quoted at all with Shaw and Mackie relegated to the bench. In their place, Paul Hanlon returned to the starting eleven whilst Stevenson, Mallan, Kamberi and Maclaren also started. That had us guessing what the formation would be and as it turned out, Hibs went with a 3-5-2 with Ambrose, McGregor and Hanlon at the back; Paul’s return giving us a much more balanced look; Boyle and Stevenson took the flanks with Slivka, Mallan and Hyndman in the midfield. The front two, so good as a pair last season were Kamberi and Maclaren.

Hibs started brightly with a move involving Maclaren, Kamberi and Boyle setting Hyndman up with a headed chance but the midfielder got too much on the ball and his effort went well wide. At the other end, Bogdan looked comfortable in denying both Candeias and Tavernier. With both sides pushing forward at every opportunity the deadlock was broken around twenty five minutes in. A sloppy headed clearance by McGregor only reached Candeias who fed Morales, the striker beating Bogdan on the angle with a powerful low drive. The hosts threatened again soon after with the tricky Middleton leaving Ambrose in his wake but the cross when it came was poor and easily cleared.

Hibs were playing well, despite being behind and fine save by Allan McGregor denied both Boyle and Kamberi. With the clock ticking down to half time, Lewis Stevenson was in a race with Candeias down the Rangers right and in stretching to put the ball safely out for a throw the Hibs man failed to get back to his feet and was clutching a hamstring. The physio came on and immediately signalled for a substitution to be made, which brought young Sean Mackie off the bench.

The second half almost got off to a fine start for the visitors when Mackie found Kamberi at the angle of the eighteen yard box. The big striker took one touch and then curled a shot towards the top corner but with McGregor stranded the ball just cleared the bar. The Rangers responded but the Hibs defence was coping well with high balls into the box so the hosts resorted to playing the ball on the ground and our back three was breached a couple of times but Bogdan was on hand to make two brilliant saves.

With Hyndman a bit peripheral, Lenny decided to change things and replaced him with the all action Horgan who had an immediate impact in providing a very good cross into the box which McGregor snatched off the head of Maclaren. It would be the Aussie’s last involvement as he was replaced by David Gray who played wide right and Boyle moved up top alongside Kamberi. Bogdan was in action again in tipping over a drive from Halliday whilst at the other end Mackie delighted the Hibs support by leaving Kalinic dead in the water when doing a Cruyff turn before laying the ball off to Kamberi but Tavernier was quick in the tackle and won the ball back.

I felt Hibs were very much still in with a shout as they were playing well and causing the Rangers problems. A right footed effort from Horgan flew over the bar and then Boyle wriggled free from a couple of players but his attempted one-two failed as he was body checked by Tavernier without a free kick being awarded. Mackie was showing up really well on the left and with around four minutes to go he sent over a perfect cross which Darren McGregor bulleted home with his head to send the Hibs fans wild and send a fair few the Rangers fans heading for the exits. It seems they do indeed ‘walk away’ and those that left would have missed another glorious cross by Horgan to the back post which Boyle threw himself at but couldn’t make the connection that gave Hibs a 2-1 lead.

Although the hosts searched out a winner, Lafferty bringing out a stunning save from Bogdan, Hibs very much finished the game on the front foot and their never say die approach was rewarded with a thoroughly deserved point which meant in three games against the so called Glasgow giants they had taken five points from a possible nine and had remained undefeated in doing so. There are posters who like to quote certain statistics, not always positive but surely this statistic, together with extending our run of games to five without defeat should be viewed in a positive light.

Changes will be needed for Saturday’s game with Boyle and Maclaren away and Lewis injured but I think Hibs should go into the game in a positive frame of mind.

The players

Adam – Once again Bogdan made a series of excellent and vital saves and the point won is as much down to him as anyone else in the team. As a result, he wins my man of the match award.

Efe – Perhaps it was because it was Ibrox and the Rangers but Efe was not quite as sparkling as of late and had a few ‘moments’ best forgotten.

Daz – His weak header that led to the opening goal aside, he was a colossus in defence and winning countless aerial duels, the most important coming at the other end for the equaliser.

Paul – His last comeback from injury didn’t go too well but this time he was fantastic, leading by example and coping quite well too with the menace that is Alfredo Morales.

Boyler – Once again I felt Boyler flitted in and out of the action but when he did get a chance to run at them he was a handful, especially for Halliday at left back. I know this is his natural position but he needs to work on the defensive side of his game because too often he left Efe exposed.

Stevie – Non-stop from start to finish he was lucky not to get booked for an early wild challenge on an opponent and then was eventually booked for persistent fouling – not bad for a player often accused of failing to do the physical stuff.

Slivka – Always involved and always looking for the ball he covered one helluva lot of grass today.

Emerson – For me he was the only ‘disappointment’ in a good team performance. Missed that early headed chance but was too often on the fringe of the action.

Lewis – Was coping very well with the threat from Tavernier and hugely unlucky to suffer what looks like a pulled hamstring. It was weird watching him walk off as he just doesn’t do injured.

Jamie – Worked his socks of in both finding good space and working the Rangers defenders in possession. If we can get Scott Allan in the team Jamie’s runs will offer a better reward than at present.

Flo – Obviously he was under pressure today after Lenny’s latest criticism of him but I’m guessing that criticism worked as he gave everything he had in both attack and tracking back.

Sean – Fitted in like he’d always been there and with Lewis a doubt for the Derby, he’s a fine replacement at left back or wide of a midfield five.

Daryl – Involved from the minute he joined the game he buzzed around and gave the Rangers defenders a tough time. Personally I’d have liked to see him replace Hyndman at half time but the substitution wasn’t made until after the hour mark.

SDG – Efe looked so much more comfortable with SDG in front of him and I’m just happy to see him back, especially with the Derby looming.

Lenny – I thought he got his tactics and formation spot on today and as Billy Whizz remarked to me at the end of the game, Lenny deserves plaudits for encouraging his team to take the game to the Rangers, especially late in the game. I can’t disagree with that!

Andrew Dallas – I’ve always felt he’s a bit weak as a referee but I thought he was excellent today in refusing to be intimidated by a hostile crowd unhappy their team was being matched all over the park. As an aside, one of the Rangers substitutes today was a young lad by the name of Andrew Dallas.

The fans – What a pleasant experience it was to be able to walk from the car park to the turnstiles and back without having all sort of sectarian abuse shouted at me. Inside the ground we were noisy and boisterous but I didn’t see any really bad behaviour so well done one and all.

davemcbain
26-12-2018, 09:01 PM
Grand stuff as ever. Watching on a rotten internet stream, it seemed that every time they were dispossessed, der hun went down like a sack of spuds and more often than non the trainer was called. Can't recall ever seeing a game with so many 'injuries' and delays. Same view from the game?

Jonnyboy
26-12-2018, 09:03 PM
Grand stuff as ever. Watching on a rotten internet stream, it seemed that every time they were dispossessed, der hun went down like a sack of spuds and more often than non the trainer was called. Can't recall ever seeing a game with so many 'injuries' and delays. Same view from the game?

Very much so, aye. I expected Gerrard to come out post match and accuse us of being a dirty team

Hillsidehibby
26-12-2018, 09:08 PM
Very much so, aye. I expected Gerrard to come out post match and accuse us of being a dirty team

To be honest and watching the game on hun tv Gerrard said he loves watching hibs as they are a good attacking side.

The two fuds commentating were always saying hibs were a good side

Hermit Crab
26-12-2018, 09:10 PM
To be honest and watching the game on hun tv Gerrard said he loves watching hibs as they are a good attacking side.

The two fuds commentating were always saying hibs were a good side

Did Gerrard really say that? Fair play if he did but it won't make him a popular man amongst the dregs of their support.

Hillsidehibby
26-12-2018, 09:12 PM
Did Gerrard really say that? Fair play if he did but it won't make him a popular man amongst the dregs of their support.
Yes he did

Hermit Crab
26-12-2018, 09:12 PM
Safely home from the cauldron of hate I have to say that although the home support can make attendance there uncomfortable, it can be a rewarding experience as Hibs have a very good record there in recent times and today was no exception. Given that the Rangers played us off the park at Easter Road recently, this was a much improved performance by the men in green and white and we certainly deserved a share of the spoils.

After last week’s struggle against Livingston, Lenny rang the changes again with five in total. Porteous and Milligan missed out, presumably due to injury whilst Lewis Allan was not quoted at all with Shaw and Mackie relegated to the bench. In their place, Paul Hanlon returned to the starting eleven whilst Stevenson, Mallan, Kamberi and Maclaren also started. That had us guessing what the formation would be and as it turned out, Hibs went with a 3-5-2 with Ambrose, McGregor and Hanlon at the back; Paul’s return giving us a much more balanced look; Boyle and Stevenson took the flanks with Slivka, Mallan and Hyndman in the midfield. The front two, so good as a pair last season were Kamberi and Maclaren.

Hibs started brightly with a move involving Maclaren, Kamberi and Boyle setting Hyndman up with a headed chance but the midfielder got too much on the ball and his effort went well wide. At the other end, Bogdan looked comfortable in denying both Candeias and Tavernier. With both sides pushing forward at every opportunity the deadlock was broken around twenty five minutes in. A sloppy headed clearance by McGregor only reached Candeias who fed Morales, the striker beating Bogdan on the angle with a powerful low drive. The hosts threatened again soon after with the tricky Middleton leaving Ambrose in his wake but the cross when it came was poor and easily cleared.

Hibs were playing well, despite being behind and fine save by Allan McGregor denied both Boyle and Kamberi. With the clock ticking down to half time, Lewis Stevenson was in a race with Candeias down the Rangers right and in stretching to put the ball safely out for a throw the Hibs man failed to get back to his feet and was clutching a hamstring. The physio came on and immediately signalled for a substitution to be made, which brought young Sean Mackie off the bench.

The second half almost got off to a fine start for the visitors when Mackie found Kamberi at the angle of the eighteen yard box. The big striker took one touch and then curled a shot towards the top corner but with McGregor stranded the ball just cleared the bar. The Rangers responded but the Hibs defence was coping well with high balls into the box so the hosts resorted to playing the ball on the ground and our back three was breached a couple of times but Bogdan was on hand to make two brilliant saves.

With Hyndman a bit peripheral, Lenny decided to change things and replaced him with the all action Horgan who had an immediate impact in providing a very good cross into the box which McGregor snatched off the head of Maclaren. It would be the Aussie’s last involvement as he was replaced by David Gray who played wide right and Boyle moved up top alongside Kamberi. Bogdan was in action again in tipping over a drive from Halliday whilst at the other end Mackie delighted the Hibs support by leaving Kalinic dead in the water when doing a Cruyff turn before laying the ball off to Kamberi but Tavernier was quick in the tackle and won the ball back.

I felt Hibs were very much still in with a shout as they were playing well and causing the Rangers problems. A right footed effort from Horgan flew over the bar and then Boyle wriggled free from a couple of players but his attempted one-two failed as he was body checked by Tavernier without a free kick being awarded. Mackie was showing up really well on the left and with around four minutes to go he sent over a perfect cross which Darren McGregor bulleted home with his head to send the Hibs fans wild and send a fair few the Rangers fans heading for the exits. It seems they do indeed ‘walk away’ and those that left would have missed another glorious cross by Horgan to the back post which Boyle threw himself at but couldn’t make the connection that gave Hibs a 2-1 lead.

Although the hosts searched out a winner, Lafferty bringing out a stunning save from Bogdan, Hibs very much finished the game on the front foot and their never say die approach was rewarded with a thoroughly deserved point which meant in three games against the so called Glasgow giants they had taken five points from a possible nine and had remained undefeated in doing so. There are posters who like to quote certain statistics, not always positive but surely this statistic, together with extending our run of games to five without defeat should be viewed in a positive light.

Changes will be needed for Saturday’s game with Boyle and Maclaren away and Lewis injured but I think Hibs should go into the game in a positive frame of mind.

The players

Adam – Once again Bogdan made a series of excellent and vital saves and the point won is as much down to him as anyone else in the team. As a result, he wins my man of the match award.

Efe – Perhaps it was because it was Ibrox and the Rangers but Efe was not quite as sparkling as of late and had a few ‘moments’ best forgotten.

Daz – His weak header that led to the opening goal aside, he was a colossus in defence and winning countless aerial duels, the most important coming at the other end for the equaliser.

Paul – His last comeback from injury didn’t go too well but this time he was fantastic, leading by example and coping quite well too with the menace that is Alfredo Morales.

Boyler – Once again I felt Boyler flitted in and out of the action but when he did get a chance to run at them he was a handful, especially for Halliday at left back. I know this is his natural position but he needs to work on the defensive side of his game because too often he left Efe exposed.

Stevie – Non-stop from start to finish he was lucky not to get booked for an early wild challenge on an opponent and then was eventually booked for persistent fouling – not bad for a player often accused of failing to do the physical stuff.

Slivka – Always involved and always looking for the ball he covered one helluva lot of grass today.

Emerson – For me he was the only ‘disappointment’ in a good team performance. Missed that early headed chance but was too often on the fringe of the action.

Lewis – Was coping very well with the threat from Tavernier and hugely unlucky to suffer what looks like a pulled hamstring. It was weird watching him walk off as he just doesn’t do injured.

Jamie – Worked his socks of in both finding good space and working the Rangers defenders in possession. If we can get Scott Allan in the team Jamie’s runs will offer a better reward than at present.

Flo – Obviously he was under pressure today after Lenny’s latest criticism of him but I’m guessing that criticism worked as he gave everything he had in both attack and tracking back.

Sean – Fitted in like he’d always been there and with Lewis a doubt for the Derby, he’s a fine replacement at left back or wide of a midfield five.

Daryl – Involved from the minute he joined the game he buzzed around and gave the Rangers defenders a tough time. Personally I’d have liked to see him replace Hyndman at half time but the substitution wasn’t made until after the hour mark.

SDG – Efe looked so much more comfortable with SDG in front of him and I’m just happy to see him back, especially with the Derby looming.

Lenny – I thought he got his tactics and formation spot on today and as Billy Whizz remarked to me at the end of the game, Lenny deserves plaudits for encouraging his team to take the game to the Rangers, especially late in the game. I can’t disagree with that!

Andrew Dallas – I’ve always felt he’s a bit weak as a referee but I thought he was excellent today in refusing to be intimidated by a hostile crowd unhappy their team was being matched all over the park. As an aside, one of the Rangers substitutes today was a young lad by the name of Andrew Dallas.

The fans – What a pleasant experience it was to be able to walk from the car park to the turnstiles and back without having all sort of sectarian abuse shouted at me. Inside the ground we were noisy and boisterous but I didn’t see any really bad behaviour so well done one and all.

What I will say JB is that there was a long and loud rendition of cheer up Neil Lennon with the F word included. Minority that sing the songs my erse!

Sir David Gray
26-12-2018, 09:15 PM
Good summary although we're now six without defeat, not five.

Jonnyboy
26-12-2018, 09:19 PM
What I will say JB is that there was a long and loud rendition of cheer up Neil Lennon with the F word included. Minority that sing the songs my erse!

Yep, I heard the 40,000 minority belting that out.. Will any action be taken? I doubt it

Jonnyboy

I ran out of fingers - if only I were a Jambo :greengrin

kaimendhibs
Decent summary but Flo didn't work hard. Barely won a header and hold up play was mostly woeful.
Glad you felt safe, we arrived 45 mins before KO, carpark full and we had to park along road past the Copeland road end

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Hillsidehibby
26-12-2018, 09:23 PM
Absolutely. Aparrently they were up to their knees in something, Neil Lennon is sad about something and Derry's walls are quite safe. The world is a beautiful thing...

BoomtownHibees
26-12-2018, 09:29 PM
Decent summary but Flo didn't work hard. Barely won a header and hold up play was mostly woeful.
Glad you felt safe, we arrived 45 mins before KO, carpark full and we had to park along road past the Copeland road end

Nothing wrong with his work rate today. Quality wasn’t there a lot of the time but wrong to question his work rate imo

Billy Whizz
26-12-2018, 09:37 PM
Great report as always JB, and spot on with your analysis

I felt as the 2nd half progressed and we rode a couple of Rangers chances, we could get back in the game.
Great move for the equaliser, and what a 1st time ball from smackie, and header from Daz

NL looked happy at the end as he came over to applaud the Hibs fans

BILLYHIBS
26-12-2018, 10:18 PM
Brilliant read JB as usual

I must confess and not being under the influence of too much Christmas spirit I had to read your last paragraph three times

I take it this match took place at Ibrox Stadium Govan Glasgow and not on Darth Vadars Death Star

Pray explain how you could walk from your car to the turnstiles without being in fear of your life being physically assaulted gobbed on threatened and being called a papist fenian barsteward and did this state of peaceful coexistence continue within the confines of the Stadium?

kaimendhibs
26-12-2018, 10:21 PM
Nothing wrong with his work rate today. Quality wasn’t there a lot of the time but wrong to question his work rate imoHey mate, it's opinions [emoji106]

Jonnyboy
26-12-2018, 10:24 PM
Brilliant read JB as usual

I must confess and not being under the influence of too much Christmas spirit I had to read your last paragraph three times

I take it this match took place at Ibrox Stadium Govan Glasgow and not on Darth Vadars Death Star

Pray explain how you could walk from your car to the turnstiles without being in fear of your life being physically assaulted gobbed on threatened and being called a papist fenian barsteward and did this state of peaceful coexistence continue within the confines of the Stadium?

The police created what they called a sterile zone which was fully cordoned off from the car park to the turnstiles. Practice for the Celtic game I suppose but it served us well :greengrin

Hermit Crab
26-12-2018, 10:46 PM
The police created what they called a sterile zone which was fully cordoned off from the car park to the turnstiles. Practice for the Celtic game I suppose but it served us well :greengrin

It worked very well, should be the norm there for visits from us, Hearts, Celtic and possibly Aberdeen from now on.

Jonnyboy
26-12-2018, 11:02 PM
It worked very well, should be the norm there for visits from us, Hearts, Celtic and possibly Aberdeen from now on.

Agreed :agree:

MWHIBBIES
26-12-2018, 11:28 PM
Hey mate, it's opinions [emoji106]

Not winning headers is totally different from workrate.

Hibrandenburg
26-12-2018, 11:55 PM
Thanks JB. I'm avoiding match day threads at the moment because they're simply dismal reading in contrast to your as it was review.

Hi Heid Yin
27-12-2018, 12:10 AM

Flo Kamberi worked his socks off and put in a great shift - occupying defenders, which allowed midfielders to stray that bit nearer the opposition box and present more of a threat.

Neil Lennon was happy with him and that says it all.

Brooster
27-12-2018, 12:16 AM
Excellent read John, as always.

The Green Goblin
27-12-2018, 12:25 AM
Cracking read. Cheers!

jellybean
27-12-2018, 12:48 AM
Thanks JB. I'm avoiding match day threads at the moment because they're simply dismal reading in contrast to your as it was review.

Totally agree!

Brightside
27-12-2018, 09:52 AM
Good report J. Great to read a more positive outlook on what was a good result.

JimBHibees
27-12-2018, 10:00 AM
Great report as always. An oasis of common sense in a desert of mainly negative crud. :greengrin

kaimendhibs
27-12-2018, 10:43 AM
Not winning headers is totally different from workrate.Is not jumping different? Is backing in and falling over different?

PatHead
27-12-2018, 12:19 PM
Thanks for the report.

Johnny_Leith
27-12-2018, 12:46 PM

Also worth pointing out that during this unbeaten run, we have been in a losing position several times.

Great resilience. Surely dispelling any rumours of the team not playing for the manager.

thebakerboy
27-12-2018, 01:36 PM
Thanks for that report , I was unable to get Hibs TV to work for more than 5 minutes and somehow couldnt get BBC to work either so had to rely on Hibs.net for reports and from that you would think that we were really poor and getting played off the park. In future I will stick to anything to get scores but leave matchday thread alone.

Iggy Pope
27-12-2018, 01:50 PM
Thanks for that report , I was unable to get Hibs TV to work for more than 5 minutes and somehow couldnt get BBC to work either so had to rely on Hibs.net for reports and from that you would think that we were really poor and getting played off the park. In future I will stick to anything to get scores but leave matchday thread alone.

I’ve relied on the Matchday thread on holiday before and when it works, it works really well.
At this point in time though Hibs.net wouldn’t be an ideal information port of call.

matty_f
27-12-2018, 02:09 PM
Cheers for the report, JB. I enjoyed the game, thought our midfield struggled to get a grip of the game in the first half and was frustrated at yet another easily avoidable goal being conceded, however we grew into the game and were well worth the point in the end. A good performance all things considered, and hopefully the late goal gives us a nice lift going into the derby on Saturday.