PDA

View Full Version : NHC Who is going to win the English Premier League?

theonlywayisup
24-12-2018, 06:36 AM
Who's going to win the EPL?

Liverpool - the unbeaten leaders. However, the BBC showed at stat that in the past 10-15 years that the leader at Christmas has always gone on to win the title apart from on two occasions. On those two occasions, that team who lost out was Liverpool.

Man City (4 points behind) - playing great football, but do they have the resilience that Liverpool seem to have discovered this year.

Spurs (6 points behind) - great to watch, but they seem to be reliant on three or four key players, one of which they'll lose for the Asian Cup.

Chelsea & Arsenal (both 11 points behind) - have they got it to go on that long unbeaten run, which will mean beating the top three teams as well.

Man United - Too far (19 points) behind, but what will the Solskjaer effect be?

That's the current top six, the winners IMO will come from the top three.

theonlywayisup
24-12-2018, 06:40 AM
I voted Liverpool, but it's difficult to choose between the top three. All great sides, great to watch.

Sir David Gray
24-12-2018, 06:41 AM
Abl

WeeRussell
24-12-2018, 06:43 AM
Up until very recently I was very much in the confident city camp. Now I think either them or Liverpool (who must be getting close to favourites)... still more than happy to discount Spurs.. and everyone else for that matter.

Lendo
24-12-2018, 06:45 AM
I have a bit of a soft spot for Spurs and based on their performance on Sunday I've voted for them.

MWHIBBIES
24-12-2018, 07:36 AM
Spurs won't win it. Liverpool or City.

hibsbollah
24-12-2018, 07:50 AM
I like the humourous inclusion of Man Yoo in the poll:greengrin

Michael
24-12-2018, 07:54 AM
Still can't see Liverpool doing it. I think they'll dip second half.

bingo70
24-12-2018, 08:06 AM
Still can't see Liverpool doing it. I think they'll dip second half.

Don’t know why but when you say that I just think of Newcastle signing Tino Asprilla to help them see out the league.

Think he was quite a good player but did he not totally disrupt the balance of the side?

Bravest thing Klopp could do would probably be to sign nobody and go with what he’s got till the end of the season but rarely seems to happen these days.

Winston Ingram
24-12-2018, 08:13 AM
Spurs have had their best start to a season since 1961.

The 2nd half of the season is usually much better than the first half for them. They’re a decent outside bet.

Winston Ingram
24-12-2018, 08:19 AM
Who's going to win the EPL?

Liverpool - the unbeaten leaders. However, the BBC showed at stat that in the past 10-15 years that the leader at Christmas has always gone on to win the title apart from on two occasions. On those two occasions, that team who lost out was Liverpool.

Man City (4 points behind) - playing great football, but do they have the resilience that Liverpool seem to have discovered this year.

Spurs (6 points behind) - great to watch, but they seem to be reliant on three or four key players, one of which they'll lose for the Asian Cup.

Chelsea & Arsenal (both 11 points behind) - have they got it to go on that long unbeaten run, which will mean beating the top three teams as well.

Man United - Too far (19 points) behind, but what will the Solskjaer effect be?

That's the current top six, the winners IMO will come from the top three.

I think that could be said for all the teams, particularly Liverpool. If they lost Salah and Van Dijk it be a completely different story. If Chelsea lost Hazard they’d drop like a stone. Arsenal are massively reliant on Aubamayang. The only team I think that aren’t are City.

Hibeesmad
24-12-2018, 09:02 AM
I think City will win it. Spurs are highly under rated. OP mentions they rely on 3 or 4 players, they comfortably rotate their squad with similar quality players in every position. They will win a trophy this season.

calumhibee1
24-12-2018, 09:02 AM
I still think City but I’m not a mile off changing my mind to Liverpool.

Hibeesmad
24-12-2018, 09:03 AM
I think that could be said for all the teams, particularly Liverpool. If they lost Salah and Van Dijk it be a completely different story. If Chelsea lost Hazard they’d drop like a stone. Arsenal are massively reliant on Aubamayang. The only team I think that aren’t are City.

I agree

Smartie
24-12-2018, 09:07 AM
If Liverpool can avoid slipping up in the run in then I think it's theirs.

I wouldn't mind seeing Liverpool winning it. They play great stuff and were the top team in my youth. They've gone a long time without winning it.

MWHIBBIES
24-12-2018, 10:03 AM

Arsenal aren't that reliant on Aubameyang. They generally play better when Lacazette plays instead or with him. Ozil is the one they miss when he's not there, he's the only creativity they have.

theonlywayisup
24-12-2018, 10:11 AM

Yes - agree. Thought that as I was typing it, but still didn't correct it. You could argue that Liverpool losing Salah would be a bigger loss than Spurs losing Kane.

theonlywayisup
24-12-2018, 10:13 AM
If Liverpool can avoid slipping up in the run in then I think it's theirs.

I seem to recall Liverpool slipping up in the past, but can't recall which player it was who slipped up. :greengrin

ScottB
24-12-2018, 11:26 AM
The upcoming Liverpool City game will be a big one, a 7 point gap would be a big one even for City. A win for City and Spurs the same weekend would close things up nicely.

Don’t think Spurs have the squad depth to go the distance. Which out of Liverpool and City do it may well depend on how far they go in the Champions League.

Northernhibee
24-12-2018, 11:39 AM
I seem to recall Liverpool slipping up in the past, but can't recall which player it was who slipped up. :greengrin

Andy Halliday? Or did he play for someone else?

Lago
24-12-2018, 11:41 AM
​Would love Spurs to do it.

Hibeesmad
24-12-2018, 11:57 AM
The upcoming Liverpool City game will be a big one, a 7 point gap would be a big one even for City. A win for City and Spurs the same weekend would close things up nicely.

Don’t think Spurs have the squad depth to go the distance. Which out of Liverpool and City do it may well depend on how far they go in the Champions League.

Looking at spurs players who didn’t start last night

Defence- Aurier, Vertonghen, Rose, Foyth

Midfield- Dembele, Dier, Wanyama

Attack- Lucas, Lamela, Llorente

Wouldn’t say squad depth is a huge issue. They have played 9 games in the last 4 weeks and have changed their team repetitively around this still pulling out amazing results like wins over Chelsea, Inter, Arsenal and drawing away to Barcelona

Northernhibee
24-12-2018, 12:12 PM
Man City. Really can’t see past them and their squad.

HibbySpurs
24-12-2018, 12:36 PM
Spurs obviously 🙄.... GGTH

McD
24-12-2018, 12:46 PM
Liverpool looking ominous, city still very dangerous, almost too close to call. Champions league progress may be a factor. I think Liverpool will edge it, but still a long way to go, and a winter transfer window that will have an effect too. If Liverpool can add 1 or 2 to compliment what’s already there, or city finding a player or system that allows them to rest Fernandinho without the drop off they have when he’s not there, either of those scenarios could play a big part yet.

spurs I think will not be able to catch either of them, I think moving to their new stadium will have a natural disruption to their season and comfort levels, the Man Utd - pochettino links aren’t going to go away, possibly one or two players eyeing the exit door as well.

cabbageandribs1875
24-12-2018, 12:56 PM
this will be the season of the L's in the english footy leagues

Liverpool
Leeds
Luton
Lincoln

i'm tellin yi

Eyrie
24-12-2018, 05:52 PM
I like the humourous inclusion of Man Yoo in the poll:greengrin

I couldn't resist it :devil:

I think the winner will be decided by Liverpool's trip to Man City. Might even watch that one.

Hibernia&Alba
25-12-2018, 07:28 AM
I still think City will do it. Huge game when Liverpool go to the Empithad at new year.

mjhibby
25-12-2018, 10:20 PM
Too many people getting carried away with man city. Liverpool are stronger defensively and should Allison and van dyck stay fit I think they will win the title. I think a few teams have sussed City now. Spurs are on a roll but it will take some effort to take seven more points than Liverpool but I'd love to see them win it as they are a joy to watch and we're awesome v Everton especially the sixth goal.

heretoday
25-12-2018, 11:32 PM
Spurs. Hurrah!

IDHibs
26-12-2018, 08:19 AM
where's the "Do i give a S*** option" ?

Michael
26-12-2018, 09:39 AM

It's called scrolling past to the next thread.

IDHibs
26-12-2018, 09:59 AM
It's called scrolling past to the next thread.

Almost clever and funny.. i say almost. But in reality, will whoever wins it change anything for us? Not one iota. They will offer derisory money for Porteous mark my words, despite their mega millions tv deals.

MWHIBBIES
26-12-2018, 10:03 AM
Almost clever and funny.. i say almost. But in reality, will whoever wins it change anything for us? Not one iota. They will offer derisory money for Porteous mark my words, despite their mega millions tv deals.
The Premier league winners wont be after Porteous so don't worry.

Hibeesmad
26-12-2018, 04:32 PM
Spurs now above Man City after smashing Bournemouth 5-0

Future17
26-12-2018, 04:41 PM

As that's a question, you'd really have to post your own poll.

theonlywayisup
29-01-2019, 08:53 PM
Interesting!!

Not been a great night for City.

calumhibee1
29-01-2019, 08:56 PM
Interesting!!

Not been a great night for City.

Liverpools to throw away now. :agree:

theonlywayisup
30-01-2019, 06:25 AM
Liverpools to throw away now. :agree:

Yes, big game tonight. Live on BT Sports. Should be a good game.

theonlywayisup
05-04-2019, 06:33 PM
How do you think it's going to pan out over the next few games?

Man City (80 points)
Crystal Palace (A)
Spurs (H)
Man United (A)
Burnley (A)
Leicester (H)
Brighton (A)

Liverpool (79 points)
Southampton (A)
Chelsea (H)
Cardiff City (A)
Huddersfield (H)
Newcastle (A)
Wolves (H)

Both have got Champions League Quarter Finals amongst the above and City have the FA Cup. Somewhere, someone is going to draw/lose a game you don't expect.

Hibernia&Alba
05-04-2019, 09:13 PM

Man City (80 points)
Crystal Palace (A)
Spurs (H)
Man United (A)
Burnley (A)
Leicester (H)
Brighton (A)

Liverpool (79 points)
Southampton (A)
Chelsea (H)
Cardiff City (A)
Huddersfield (H)
Newcastle (A)
Wolves (H)

Both have got Champions League Quarter Finals amongst the above and City have the FA Cup. Somewhere, someone is going to draw/lose a game you don't expect.

It could go down to the final day. How ironic would it be if United beat City, letting Liverpool become champions? I still fancy City to do it, but it's going to be close.

Sir David Gray
05-04-2019, 09:19 PM
It could go down to the final day. How ironic would it be if United beat City, letting Liverpool become champions? I still fancy City to do it, but it's going to be close.

I hope Ole plays the kids that day. :greengrin

Pagan Hibernia
05-04-2019, 09:19 PM

Man City (80 points)
Crystal Palace (A)
Spurs (H)
Man United (A)
Burnley (A)
Leicester (H)
Brighton (A)

Liverpool (79 points)
Southampton (A)
Chelsea (H)
Cardiff City (A)
Huddersfield (H)
Newcastle (A)
Wolves (H)

City will drop at least three points in their next three games, possibly more. It’s liverpools’s title.

hfc rd
05-04-2019, 09:30 PM

Really looks like the destiny of the PL title is gonna be decided at Old Trafford on 24 April. Its all well and good to say that we have to focus on ourselves and our quest for CL qualification and I know the players won't be thinking this way, but it's gonna sting real bad if it's us that's handing Liverpool the title by taking points of City. We will never hear the end of it.

hibsbollah
05-04-2019, 09:37 PM
Really looks like the destiny of the PL title is gonna be decided at Old Trafford on 24 April. Its all well and good to say that we have to focus on ourselves and our quest for CL qualification and I know the players won't be thinking this way, but it's gonna sting real bad if it's us that's handing Liverpool the title by taking points of City. We will never hear the end of it.

Man U won't be 'handing Liverpool the title' if they beat City, Liverpool will have done that by themselves. Klopps Liverpool haven't got nearly enough credit this season; if you look at the points gained at this stage of the season, Man Utds double winning side and Arsenal's Invincibles would be back in third place behind 2019 City and Liverpool. Both historically great sides.

Hibernia&Alba
05-04-2019, 09:40 PM
Man U won't be 'handing Liverpool the title' if they beat City, Liverpool will have done that by themselves. Klopps Liverpool haven't got nearly enough credit this season; if you look at the points gained at this stage of the season, Man Utds double winning side and Arsenal's Invincibles would be back in third place behind 2019 City and Liverpool. Both historically great sides.

But if United beat City at Old Trafford, that could be the pivotal result, no question. It's the key game for City; Liverpool's is the Chelsea match. Huge pressure on each.

Sir David Gray
05-04-2019, 09:41 PM

Where's Slippy G when you need him? :greengrin

Pagan Hibernia
05-04-2019, 09:44 PM
But if United beat City at Old Trafford, that could be the pivotal result, no question. It's the key game for City; Liverpool's is the Chelsea match. Huge pressure on each.

City would do well to focus on the not so key games and let the derby take care of itself. Personally I think they’ll slip up at Palace

hibsbollah
05-04-2019, 09:49 PM

I dunno, Chelsea aren't playing for Sarri, even with a CL place on the line I can't see Chelsea going to Anfield and getting anything else but their erses handed to them. I think City Spurs sandwiched between their CL games will be a tougher test for City. Even before talking about the Manchester derby.

A great finale though.

Lancs Harp
05-04-2019, 10:14 PM
Didnt Hearts win this in October? The month after they won the SPL and just before they won the Champions League, the six nations, the open, Masterchef and won tomorrows Grand National back in January?

JimBHibees
05-04-2019, 10:19 PM
I hope Ole plays the kids that day. :greengrin

He might have if they didn't need points to get anywhere near 4th.

JimBHibees
05-04-2019, 10:21 PM
City would do well to focus on the not so key games and let the derby take care of itself. Personally I think they’ll slip up at Palace

Palace away who have beaten city already this season, spurs and united away are 3 very tough games. Think pool will win next 3 relatively comfortably as Chelsea are poor.

jacomo
05-04-2019, 10:33 PM
I think it’s Liverpool’s title.

But Man City night well get a cup treble. Having so many English teams left in the CL suits them.

Swedish hibee
06-04-2019, 03:08 AM
City will win it easily ;)

cabbageandribs1875
06-04-2019, 03:52 AM
liverpool will win it, fact

told yi's 3 months ago :) gies the ££'s

BILLYHIBS
06-04-2019, 06:13 AM
City

No particular reason:

Oh!

Better squad

Better players

Better Manager

Strength in depth

Better system and style of play not fly by the seat of your pants and hope for the best

Yoiu always feel someone gonna Kop a 7-0 from City

Saying that will not be displeased if Liverpool pull it off :greengrin

theonlywayisup
06-04-2019, 07:14 AM
I take you back to the stat from the opening post - in the past 10-15 years the leader at Christmas has always gone on to win the title apart from on two occasions. On those two occasions, that team who lost out was Liverpool.

I think City will still win, but what a fantastic boost Liverpool will get from last night.

Sir David Gray
06-04-2019, 08:16 AM
He might have if they didn't need points to get anywhere near 4th.

I'm happy for them to miss out if it means Liverpool don't win the title! :greengrin

The 90+2
06-04-2019, 08:21 AM
Liverpool league City European Cup.

Just for ****s and bad banter.

erin go bragh
06-04-2019, 08:55 AM
Would like to see Liverpool win it . Going to be close and as been previously said , it could come down to City’s game at Man U .
Liverpool could win all their remaining games and still not win it .

JimBHibees
06-04-2019, 09:12 AM
I'm happy for them to miss out if it means Liverpool don't win the title! :greengrin

Even if it meant your closest rivals winning it. :greengrin How petty.

Hibeesmad
14-04-2019, 09:03 PM
I think City will win it. Spurs are highly under rated. OP mentions they rely on 3 or 4 players, they comfortably rotate their squad with similar quality players in every position. They will win a trophy this season.

Just the Champions League left to play for :greengrin

In terms of the title it's looking really close, it will probably go down to last game of the season. If City beat Spurs and United then I think they've got it but it's really exciting. Liverpool have taken advantage of all the luck they can get which usually sees teams go onto win something. Regardless of what happens it's been a joy to watch both teams this season.

Sir David Gray
14-04-2019, 09:05 PM
Even if it meant your closest rivals winning it. :greengrin How petty.

I'd rather see Manchester City win the league than Liverpool.

Dashing Bob S
14-04-2019, 09:07 PM
Liverpool now. They have two easy games and City need to beat both Spurs and United. Can see a draw at old trafford.

cabbageandribs1875
14-04-2019, 09:10 PM
ok c'mon, who said Man u would win it

anyway....still liverpool to win it...££ winging it's way to my bank account

if Leicester city can win it,so can liverpool

Hibeesmad
14-04-2019, 09:11 PM
Liverpool now. They have two easy games and City need to beat both Spurs and United. Can see a draw at old trafford.

Liverpool most definitely have the easier run in. The difficult game for them out of the lot I think will be Newcastle away, the rivalry between the clubs from the past will have the geordies right up for it. All the plaudits of Rafa from Liverpool fans when Newcastle beat City earlier in the season could come back to bite them.

3pm
14-04-2019, 09:13 PM
Citeh.

cabbageandribs1875
15-04-2019, 02:29 AM
wtf was liverpools Fabinho all about yesterday https://twitter.com/search?q=fabinho%20hazard&src=tyah&lang=en

what a thoroughly dirty ******d, absolutely disgusting

JimBHibees
15-04-2019, 10:34 AM
wtf was liverpools Fabinho all about yesterday https://twitter.com/search?q=fabinho%20hazard&src=tyah&lang=en

Nowhere near Hazard I don't think

Here’s Lucy!
15-04-2019, 04:49 PM
It's funny that Liverpool could win all five remaining games, and still might not win the league.

They will win them all however and the dreadful Manchester City won't.

:greengrin

hibsbollah
15-04-2019, 07:48 PM
It's funny that Liverpool could win all five remaining games, and still might not win the league.

They will win them all however and the dreadful Manchester City won't.

:greengrin

It's been a ridiculous season of two genuine superpowers.
A brilliant stat is that both Arsenal's Invincibles and Alex Fergusons Man U famous double squad points total would be trailing behind both clubs in 3rd place this season.

hibsbollah
15-04-2019, 07:51 PM

:confused: I feel like the VT doesn't match the outrage. Unless it's a boomerang bogey it wouldn't have landed anywhere near him. Is this what constitutes a twitterstorm thèse days?...

Pagan Hibernia
20-04-2019, 01:55 PM
Massive 3 points for city today. They’ve now successfully negotiated two of the three difficult fixtures I thought they’d struggle with in the run in. Win the derby next week and it’s hard to see them throwing it away from there

theonlywayisup
20-04-2019, 07:54 PM
Massive 3 points for city today. They’ve now successfully negotiated two of the three difficult fixtures I thought they’d struggle with in the run in. Win the derby next week and it’s hard to see them throwing it away from there

Massive game against United.

theonlywayisup
24-04-2019, 06:55 PM
Big Manchester derby about to start. Should be great viewing.

PatHead
24-04-2019, 07:23 PM
Not a bad game so far. United pressing well. City not settled yet.

Northernhibee
24-04-2019, 07:41 PM
Not a bad game so far. United pressing well. City not settled yet.
It’s enthralling for a game that hasn’t had much happen so far.

theonlywayisup
24-04-2019, 08:26 PM
It's City's title.

JeMeSouviens
24-04-2019, 09:13 PM
Amazing title race to be fair.

Hibeesmad
24-04-2019, 11:26 PM
How a team could potentially finish the season on 97 points and still finish 2nd is mind-boggling. This City team is different class.

basehibby
25-04-2019, 12:44 AM
Who gives a **** although I hope it's Liverpool - old mates that support them and all that.

calumhibee1
25-04-2019, 05:50 AM
How a team could potentially finish the season on 97 points and still finish 2nd is mind-boggling. This City team is different class.

If Liverpool don’t win it it will be interesting to see if they fall away a bit next season. Players and maybe even Klopp might decide they fancy a new challenge if they see themselves performing like they have and still coming up second best?

Lancs Harp
25-04-2019, 09:43 PM
If Liverpool don’t win it it will be interesting to see if they fall away a bit next season. Players and maybe even Klopp might decide they fancy a new challenge if they see themselves performing like they have and still coming up second best?

Citys title to lose but I think Burnley on Sunday will provide a bigger challenge to City than United the other night.

Scouse Hibee
25-04-2019, 10:17 PM

With only one point between them they are both different class, Liverpool still have a massive chance in the CL too. On their day they can easily compete with Barca. Losing the league but winning the CL again would elevate Liverpool above Man City in the eyes of many across the world, A fantastic season and one of the best ever for some younger fans.

It won’t happen but imagine if Liverpool won both and City finished the season with only the League cup!

JimBHibees
26-04-2019, 05:59 AM
Citys title to lose but I think Burnley on Sunday will provide a bigger challenge to City than United the other night.

Totally agree a style of play City will hate and very dangerous off set plays etc.

theonlywayisup
26-04-2019, 06:29 AM
I did find it really odd that Man United fans wanting City to win the title rather than Liverpool. I can understand it, but still find it odd.

If City win the title, this will be their sixth league title. If they win, I think we'll see a long period of City domination similar to that of Fergie's United.

Prior to Fergie arrival, United had one seven titles. Fergus added another 13 in 20 years.

Beware what you wish for Man United fans.

heretoday
26-04-2019, 04:09 PM
City must be faves now. That was a big win the other night whereas they looked nervy against Tottenham.

Here’s Lucy!
30-04-2019, 04:32 PM
Oasis City are going to fluke this one, aren't they?

calumhibee1
30-04-2019, 04:45 PM
Oasis City are going to fluke this one, aren't they?

Nothing flukey from either team. They've both been exceptional. :agree:

Renfrew_Hibby
30-04-2019, 05:01 PM
Next up both sides face former Liverpool bosses as the Reds take on former fans favourite Rafas' Newcastle & City have to play Brendans Leicester City.

Leicester have been very good since the change of manager and Vardy is back to his best so although Man City are at home I think they have definitely got the harder task.

Hibeesmad
30-04-2019, 05:05 PM
Next up both sides face former Liverpool bosses as the Reds take on former fans favourite Rafas' Newcastle & City have to play Brendans Leicester City.

Leicester have been very good since the change of manager and Vardy is back to his best so although Man City are at home I think they have definitely got the harder task.

I think Liverpool have the tougher task purely because they play Barcelona twice within the next week, 3 days before Newcastle and 3 days after, being away first.

Man City 3-0 Leicester
Newcastle 0-0 Liverpool

My predictions 👍

Just Jimmy
30-04-2019, 06:17 PM
Newcastle beat City at St James'.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Here’s Lucy!
06-05-2019, 04:46 PM
Come on Leicester City tonight!!

Hibernia&Alba
06-05-2019, 05:23 PM
Huge pressure on City tonight, but they are packed with experienced winners and should do the job at home.

The 90+2
06-05-2019, 05:27 PM
Brandans going to help Liverpool tonight. Vardy first goal finish 1-1.

ekhibee
06-05-2019, 05:59 PM
I think the linesman who was standing right in front of Fabinho who blatantly dived for the free kick that led to the 3rd Liverpool goal will have their eternal gratitude if Man City slip up against Leicester.

Sir David Gray
06-05-2019, 06:05 PM
Come on Manchester City.

Blue moon and all that!

matty_f
06-05-2019, 06:10 PM
I can't see past City for the title now. I just don't think they'll drop points - and three points for Liverpool against Wolves isn't a given, either.

I'd love to see Liverpool do it, I thought they were amazing when I was wee and only really stopped liking them when Souness took charge, regardless, whoever wins will rightly be viewed as one of the best sides in English Premier League history - as should the runners up.

HH81
06-05-2019, 08:21 PM
Still 0-0 with 30 mins left. Maddison just wide there. Step up Vardy and send both Manchester clubs fans into tears please.

SteveHFC
06-05-2019, 08:27 PM
Boooo

Since452
06-05-2019, 08:28 PM
Some goal

we are hibs
06-05-2019, 08:29 PM
Not Liverpool anyway 😂

Betty Boop
06-05-2019, 08:29 PM
Vincent Kompany :flag:

HoboHarry
06-05-2019, 08:30 PM
That was some goal...

Hibbyradge
06-05-2019, 08:53 PM
Nervy, nervy stuff, but a huge result.

SteveHFC
06-05-2019, 08:55 PM
Man City buying the league once again.

hfc rd
06-05-2019, 08:55 PM
Huge result. Thank **** the title ain’t going to Merseyside!

Scouse Hibee
06-05-2019, 08:56 PM

Have you seen how much Liverpool have spent?

David_D
06-05-2019, 08:56 PM
Kompany will never ever hit any shot like that again in his career.

HH81
06-05-2019, 09:01 PM

Liverpool have lost one in 37 games and won't be enough to win the league.

Just shows how far behind the rest of the premiership is to these teams.

Hibbyradge
06-05-2019, 09:07 PM

How much did they spend?

Liverpool spent £170m, iirc.

Pretty Boy
06-05-2019, 09:07 PM
It's hard not to feel sorry for Liverpool. They will likely finish the season on 97 points and fail to win the league. That would have seen them win the title in all but 1 of the last 10 seasons.

Domestically Man City are just a sensational side at the moment and a season like this shows just how hard they are to finish above. You do wonder how long Guardiola gets if they fail in the Champions League again next year though; let's be honest they didn't appoint him to win the EPL.

Lago
06-05-2019, 09:12 PM
Enjoyed the game great goal, Rogers now a smallish fish in a big pool.😊

scottish_sleepy
06-05-2019, 09:19 PM
How much did they spend?

Minus the £130m ish for coutinho so only an outlay of £40m net.
The yanks haven't exactly slashed the cash over the past 3 or 4 years.

Hibernia&Alba
06-05-2019, 09:25 PM
There could yet be more twists on the final day. Ordinarily, you'd expect both City and Liverpool to win their games comfortably, but pressure always means uncertainty. City, being away, have the trickier match at Brighton. They will be desperate for a good start, to calm things down.

Ronniekirk
06-05-2019, 09:32 PM

Yep would of been happy for Liverpool to win it Koop is a breath of fresh air and his passion is there for all to see

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sir David Gray
06-05-2019, 09:42 PM
I think it's hilarious to think Liverpool are possibly going to lose the title after getting 97 points. :faf:

heretoday
06-05-2019, 10:07 PM
I can't see City having too many problems at Brighton. It's tough on LFC but what a season it's been.

G B Young
06-05-2019, 10:17 PM

Liverpool were the league's top spenders on signings this season by a considerable distance IIRC so that claim doesn't really wash.

Not especially bothered for City, but I've always harboured a strong dislike for Liverpool so it's good to see them fail again. It's that vile all red strip that I think turns so many people off them.

heretoday
06-05-2019, 10:39 PM
Buying the league doesn't really wash as an accusation these days. The top six and others have all spent a fortune. It's that City's purchases have been better than say Arsenal or Chelsea and that includes the manager.
I wouldn't mind if someone came along and helped us buy the league.

Hibeesmad
06-05-2019, 10:52 PM
Another trophyless season for Klopp if City win on Sunday. How much more money does he need to spend :confused:

Hibeesmad
06-05-2019, 10:58 PM
A lot of people talk about Van Dijk being one of, if not the greatest defenders in Premier League history. What Vincent Kompany has achieved in his career is a lot more than Van Dijk will. On the verge of captaining Man City to a fourth Premier League title, second FA Cup and already secured a fourth league cup. Incredible achievement, he deserved that goal tonight.

Liam89
06-05-2019, 11:13 PM
It's hard not to feel sorry for Liverpool. They will likely finish the season on 97 points and fail to win the league. That would have seen them win the title in all but 1 of the last 10 seasons.

Domestically Man City are just a sensational side at the moment and a season like this shows just how hard they are to finish above. You do wonder how long Guardiola gets if they fail in the Champions League again next year though; let's be honest they didn't appoint him to win the EPL.

Absolutely no chance they'd get rid of Pep if he continues dominating the league like he is. Whilst the owners would be disappointed at champs league failure, I'm sure they'd be smart enough to realise they'd be sacking the best manager in the world.

jgl07
07-05-2019, 08:00 AM
Absolutely no chance they'd get rid of Pep if he continues dominating the league like he is. Whilst the owners would be disappointed at champs league failure, I'm sure they'd be smart enough to realise they'd be sacking the best manager in the world.
More likely that Pep will decide to take a break or seek a new challenge.

No likely for another year or two.

JimBHibees
08-05-2019, 06:34 AM
How much did they spend?

Liverpool got loads in for Coutinho though didn't they

Scouse Hibee
08-05-2019, 08:20 AM
Another trophyless season for Klopp if City win on Sunday. How much more money does he need to spend :confused:

Hmmm maybe not

MWHIBBIES
08-05-2019, 09:36 AM
:faf:

A lot of people talk about Van Dijk being one of, if not the greatest defenders in Premier League history. What Vincent Kompany has achieved in his career is a lot more than Van Dijk will. On the verge of captaining Man City to a fourth Premier League title, second FA Cup and already secured a fourth league cup. Incredible achievement, he deserved that goal tonight.
No champions league finals though.

Scouse Hibee
08-05-2019, 11:37 AM
I think Liverpool have the tougher task purely because they play Barcelona twice within the next week, 3 days before Newcastle and 3 days after, being away first.

Man City 3-0 Leicester
Newcastle 0-0 Liverpool

My predictions 👍

I’m seeing a pattern with your predictions 😁

Here’s Lucy!
08-05-2019, 03:40 PM
Come on Brighton!

Hibeesmad
08-05-2019, 11:04 PM

:wink:

MWHIBBIES
09-05-2019, 12:17 PM
:wink:

:confused:

Tarrahib
09-05-2019, 03:26 PM

They will probably have to settle for another season of mediocrity.:na na:

theonlywayisup
11-05-2019, 11:55 AM
So how do you think it will pan out tomorrow.

Easy win for City or will they struggle to get the three points they need.

And Liverpool, will they struggle against a very good Wolves team. Not a betting man, but I predict that Wolves will give Liverpool a harder game than Barcelona did.

Hibeesmad
11-05-2019, 12:28 PM

And Liverpool, will they struggle against a very good Wolves team. Not a betting man, but I predict that Wolves will give Liverpool a harder game than Barcelona did.

Both teams will win (City & Liverpool). I also think Leicester will beat Chelsea and Spurs will get their first 0-0 of the season.

Scouse Hibee
11-05-2019, 12:30 PM
City and Liverpool to both draw

SeanWilson
11-05-2019, 12:38 PM

Liverpool will murder wolves. Citee will sneak a 1-0 87th minute 🙄

SChibs
11-05-2019, 01:01 PM
Buying the league doesn't really wash as an accusation these days. The top six and others have all spent a fortune. It's that City's purchases have been better than say Arsenal or Chelsea and that includes the manager.
I wouldn't mind if someone came along and helped us buy the league.

Sorry to pick hairs but top 6 Spurs have spent zero and signed nobody the last 2 windows. It shows how good a manager Pochetino is imo.

Hibeesmad
12-05-2019, 05:19 PM
Congratulations Man City. Never in doubt.

Hermit Crab
12-05-2019, 05:30 PM
Liverpool will murder wolves. Citee will sneak a 1-0 87th minute 🙄

Will they? And its Citeh.

Hibernia&Alba
12-05-2019, 07:23 PM
I'm glad City did it, but, even as a United fan, I can't help but be impressed by Liverpool. 97 points and just one defeat all season still wasn't enough; they have been tremendous and gave City a massive fight. Well done to both for this season; shame on you United.

Sir David Gray
12-05-2019, 09:09 PM
I'm glad City did it, but, even as a United fan, I can't help but be impressed by Liverpool. 97 points and just one defeat all season still wasn't enough; they have been tremendous and gave City a massive fight. Well done to both for this season; shame on you United.

Disgraceful season from Manchester Utd. They have massive problems going into next season. They are light years away from the top two and almost every player in their squad needs replaced if they are to challenge for the title.

Hibernia&Alba
13-05-2019, 05:12 AM
Disgraceful season from Manchester Utd. They have massive problems going into next season. They are light years away from the top two and almost every player in their squad needs replaced if they are to challenge for the title.

I would try to keep De Gea and Pogba, along with perhaps one or two others, and replace the rest. That's how bad it is.

Dashing Bob S
13-05-2019, 06:27 AM
Late to this thread but going to go for City.

Sir David Gray
13-05-2019, 07:54 AM
I would try to keep De Gea and Pogba, along with perhaps one or two others, and replace the rest. That's how bad it is.

Pogba only tries when he feels like it, it seems. You won't win league titles with players who have that sort of attitude. There's no denying his class when he does try but that isn't happening often enough.

De Gea has had an awful season but is clearly a top quality goalkeeper so I would keep him. The only other one I would keep is Rashford.

I can't think that many others (if any) would get onto the Liverpool or Manchester City benches. That has to be the standard.

Smartie
13-05-2019, 10:01 AM
Pogba only tries when he feels like it, it seems. You won't win league titles with players who have that sort of attitude. There's no denying his class when he does try but that isn't happening often enough.

De Gea has had an awful season but is clearly a top quality goalkeeper so I would keep him. The only other one I would keep is Rashford.

I can't think that many others (if any) would get onto the Liverpool or Manchester City benches. That has to be the standard.

I wonder if Pogba would be better in a better team, that's why he's temperamental? There is a lot of expectation on his shoulders, he comes in for regular criticism and plays in a team that has more than its fair share of dross.

A world class player would be better than that, but I do think his problems are between his ears.

He's one you'd want to work with, put it that way, rather than be one of the first you would bin.

Their squad is fully of very average players who they have paid decent money for and it speaks volumes that the one outfield player you would keep came through their youth system.