23-12-2018, 02:00 PM
To Cyprus according to twitter

cleanyman
23-12-2018, 02:01 PM
Yet another signing at full back that hasn't worked out

Dashing Bob S
23-12-2018, 02:14 PM

Legend. Will never be forgotten. Hope to see him back at ER one day - perhaps in some coaching capacity.

My_Wife_Camille
23-12-2018, 02:18 PM
Yet another signing at full back that hasn't worked out
Deary me. Can we give the guy a chance before we write him off?

MWHIBBIES
23-12-2018, 02:20 PM
Never lost a game

jacomo
23-12-2018, 02:20 PM

Tbf it sounds like it’s too late for that, if this rumour is correct.

Gmack7
23-12-2018, 02:22 PM
if correct what a waste of money. with the emergence of Mackie Nelom will likely be the same

Moulin Yarns
23-12-2018, 02:23 PM

Is it a reliable source?

https://twitter.com/HFCTransferNews/status/1076855971937509376?s=19

bingo70
23-12-2018, 02:24 PM
if correct what a waste of money. with the emergence of Mackie Nelom will likely be the same

Nelom is on a deal until he end of the season, Mavrias was only here till January.

BILLYHIBS
23-12-2018, 02:28 PM
:bye:

Bye Harry!

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

:xwave

Hibbyradge
23-12-2018, 02:30 PM

:faf:

Allant1981
23-12-2018, 02:33 PM
Looked not to bad when he played, needed a run of games I think, was really only brought in as cover and only signed for a few months so no big loss

Tarrahib
23-12-2018, 02:35 PM
Never lost a game
Only on the match programme front page on Wednesday night.
I notice Rocky was on the front cover yesterday!!!

Lago
23-12-2018, 02:36 PM
For goodness sake who's recruiting these guys, no more than journeymen.

Bostonhibby
23-12-2018, 02:38 PM
If true Hopefully the club will put together a compilation of his best moments and get it in the Hibs shop in time for Xmas.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

bingo70

I think this one was more of an extended trial than a proper signing.

we are hibs
File alongside Matt thornhill, Adam eckersley, farcyal rherras and neil eardly

rotherhamrob
23-12-2018, 02:42 PM
Legend. Will never be forgotten. Hope to see him back at ER one day - perhaps in some coaching capacity.

🤣🤣

danhibees1875
23-12-2018, 02:42 PM
I thought he looked okay in his very brief chance to play. Nothing spectacular to oust SDG but a reasonable backup to have, not sure what's with all the sarcastic comments. :dunno:

Pedantic_Hibee
23-12-2018, 02:43 PM
Was never bought to be a starter. Backup and nothing more. I fail to see the problem here but if it means sticking the boot in once more by all means bash on.

Hibees1973
23-12-2018, 02:46 PM

Correct.....this year we have handed wages to so many who have contributed so little.

Poor scouting from Hibs.

Allant1981
23-12-2018, 02:46 PM
Was never bought to be a starter. Backup and nothing more. I fail to see the problem here but if it means sticking the boot in once more by all means bash on.

Are you really shocked?

Allant1981
23-12-2018, 02:47 PM
Correct.....this year we have handed wages to so many who have contributed so little.

Poor scouting from Hibs.

Like who?

Pedantic_Hibee
23-12-2018, 02:51 PM
Are you really shocked?

Absolutely not. And that’s the sad thing. The garden isn’t rosy by any means at the moment but some thrive on it and embellish anything and everything to really twist the knife.

SteveHFC
23-12-2018, 03:02 PM
If true Hopefully the club will put together a compilation of his best moments and get it in the Hibs shop in time for Xmas.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

And we charge £50 for the dvd.

we are hibs
23-12-2018, 03:08 PM
Like who?

What time period do you want? Because there are plenty who have contributed little/Nothing under Lennon.

brog
23-12-2018, 03:12 PM
I thought he looked okay in his very brief chance to play. Nothing spectacular to oust SDG but a reasonable backup to have, not sure what's with all the sarcastic comments. :dunno:

Its Hibs Net. We have a core of posters who thrive on negativity. We sign an internationalist as cover. His contract expires next week & he's leaving, shock! If we hadn't signed him & had a crisis in his position the same posters would have been screaming about our failure to sign cover.

Allant1981
23-12-2018, 03:13 PM
What time period do you want? Because there are plenty who have contributed little/Nothing under Lennon.

Well seeing as the poster said this year I think it would be kind of obvious?

SideBurns
23-12-2018, 03:13 PM
He was on the cover of the Huns programme, with an accompanying interview inside; someone wasn't told he was packing his bags...

we are hibs
23-12-2018, 03:14 PM
Well seeing as the poster said this year I think it would be kind of obvious?

I was asking because it could go back to the very beginning of his tenure. I can name you more poor/ineffective signings than good.

Hermit Crab
23-12-2018, 03:17 PM
Like who?

Maclaren for one.

Allant1981
23-12-2018, 03:19 PM
Maclaren for one.

Took you longer than expected, I agree though he has been a bit of a waste this year, through injury or just not getting picked which is a shame for him and us as he had a big impact last season

Centre Hawf
23-12-2018, 03:23 PM
Like who?

This year alone?

Faycal Rherras
Thomas Agyepong
Nelom
Mavrias

Thats before we even get into the debates about players who are actually playing but not nearly good enough for long enough. As someone else has posted we could go back to Lennons other transfer windows and find even more names to add to the list that I'm sure no one could argue picked up a wage for doing next to nothing.

Smartie
23-12-2018, 03:26 PM

Why Matt Thornhill?

Not saying he wasn't pish, but he doesn't fall into the "full-back, here for half a season and left without making any sort of impact" club.

Allant1981
23-12-2018, 03:26 PM
This year alone?

Faycal Rherras
Thomas Agyepong
Nelom
Mavrias

Thats before we even get into the debates about players who are actually playing but not nearly good enough for long enough. As someone else has posted we could go back to Lennons other transfer windows and find even more names to add to the list that I'm sure no one could argue picked up a wage for doing next to nothing.

So mavrias played ok when he actually played(signed as cover though)
Nelom, again brought in as cover and luckily not really been needed
Agyepong(played well before getting injured)
Rherras I will give you

Inconsequential
23-12-2018, 03:31 PM
Another player obviously signed as a back-up along with Nelom who is probably in the same situation which is fair enough but why are these type of players paraded at the time of signing as major coups? Is it a case of giving them training facilities and hoping they will turn out as quality players. Free agents so nothing to lose apart from a few months wages?

Pedantic_Hibee
23-12-2018, 03:33 PM
Another player obviously signed as a back-up along with Nelom who is probably in the same situation which is fair enough but why are these type of players paraded at the time of signing as major coups? Is it a case of giving them training facilities and hoping they will turn out as quality players. Free agents so nothing to lose apart from a few months wages?

Your last sentence. That’s exactly what they are/were. With the bonus that they might turn out to be brilliant and worth keeping on.

Centre Hawf
23-12-2018, 03:38 PM
So mavrias played ok when he actually played(signed as cover though)
Nelom, again brought in as cover and luckily not really been needed
Agyepong(played well before getting injured)
Rherras I will give you

I think your being a bit generous to them. Which is fine, I hold no ill will to any of these players either so I don't want to twist the knife into them especially when they have injury issues.

But the fact remains that the likes of Agyepong has probably been available for about 10 percent of the games he's been at Hibs for. I don't know what we're paying of his probably half decent Man City wage, it could be half, it could be zero. But I would imagine we are paying something and it's very very difficult for anyone to sit here and persuade me that it hasn't been a waste of a wage.

Mavrias - I think has been a waste mostly due to the fact he's been signed as cover to begin with and was never actually fit to step in till about 2 months later, so we ended up shoe-horning Efe there then playing 3 at the back which has leaked goals for us. Again without knowing what he's on wage wise, the fact we're signing right backs on an extended trial when we have had SDG's injury problems since his first season at the club is poor. IMO we would have been better off playing a young laddie in at right back or trying to find some young lad that's perhaps been released down south and had him waiting in the wings to come in when SDG got injured, which lets be honest everyone knew would happen at some point this season.

Nelom - I'll admit that Stevenson for me is as good as we could probably get at Left back/LWB so trying to sign someone to replace him is always going to be difficult. If Stevenson plays well and Nelom never plays is it a good signing? Or should we have had Mackie in as back up with Neloms wage going to someone who will contribute in other positions? I think I know which one I'd perhaps rather try at this point but understand if others disagree with me on that.

The 90+2
23-12-2018, 03:49 PM
Like who?

That other diddy full back that I think now is at Hamilton for a start?

JimBHibees
23-12-2018, 03:51 PM

Couldn't agree more. Haters gotta hate though. :greengrin

JimBHibees
23-12-2018, 03:55 PM
Maclaren for one.

Laughable as per..

Hibbyradge
23-12-2018, 04:09 PM
Another player obviously signed as a back-up along with Nelom who is probably in the same situation which is fair enough but why are these type of players paraded at the time of signing as major coups?

Possibly because it excites the fans and boosts the player's confidence.

Scotty Leither
23-12-2018, 04:22 PM

Problem is these guys are trumpeted as "internationalist signings" which kind of denotes we're maybe getting a bit of quality in that'll either go straight in the first team or will be challenging for a starting place straightaway.

I'm getting a bit fed up with "back-up players" being the zenith of our transfer dealings to be honest.

We keep getting told how innovative our recruitment team is and how tirelessly they work in sourcing players.

Time to earn their corn starting in 8 days time, methinks.

Eyrie
23-12-2018, 04:46 PM
No surprise here.

I said that I thought he was here as a thank you to his agent (who delivered Kamberi and Maclaren) to help him train with a team and maybe get a game if required before moving on.

What else did people expect from an "internationalist" who was still without a team in October?

Pedantic_Hibee
23-12-2018, 05:18 PM
Problem is these guys are trumpeted as "internationalist signings" which kind of denotes we're maybe getting a bit of quality in that'll either go straight in the first team or will be challenging for a starting place straightaway.

I'm getting a bit fed up with "back-up players" being the zenith of our transfer dealings to be honest.

We keep getting told how innovative our recruitment team is and how tirelessly they work in sourcing players.

Trumpeted by us then that’s our fault. Trumpeted by the club then you can’t blame them. We’d hardly do a press release on the website, under a photo of them with the scarf, saying “we’ll be honest, this chump will hardly play unless we get any injuries and even then, he’ll be straight back out the team once folk are fit. Dinnae tell him though. Cheers, Neil and Garry”

easty
23-12-2018, 05:30 PM

Thornhill was tatties, not a full back though.

The Spaceman
23-12-2018, 05:38 PM
Absolute cult hero. Thanks for all the memories Mavrias.

Smartie
23-12-2018, 05:53 PM
It saves me having to finish my "Charalampos, what' cha knowing" version of Simon and Garfunkel's Feeling Groovy, that wasn't going to well if the truth be told.

eastmainsmsh
23-12-2018, 06:16 PM
At least Harry can say he played for mighty Hibs good luck to you sir

Hermit Crab
23-12-2018, 06:20 PM
Laughable as per..

Aye its really funny a player taking a wage and contributing next to nothing.:aok:

NORTHERNHIBBY
23-12-2018, 06:55 PM
This signing looked like we were turning a favour for an agent, giving a player a wage and training facilities. Hopefully we will see payback in January.

lyonhibs
23-12-2018, 07:15 PM
Was fairly sure this would happen when his signing was announced. Ultimately, a bit of a pointless one as it's turned out.

Scotty Leither
23-12-2018, 07:23 PM
Trumpeted by us then that’s our fault. Trumpeted by the club then you can’t blame them. We’d hardly do a press release on the website, under a photo of them with the scarf, saying “we’ll be honest, this chump will hardly play unless we get any injuries and even then, he’ll be straight back out the team once folk are fit. Dinnae tell him though. Cheers, Neil and Garry”

Wasn't trumpeted by me that's for sure, because we've been sold this line before by the club that the "international" players we sign are the dug's bollocks, when in reality a guy who's unattached in October might not be any better than what we've got and that's being charitable to the recruitment team.

What have him, Nelom, Rherras, Eardley, Eckersley, et al contributed to the team?

Zip, that's what, and I'm sick of the whiff of "budget buys" that permeates our signings and the club shouldn't take us for such mugs by signing stop-gaps to replace players that have moved on.

Hibbyradge
23-12-2018, 07:39 PM
Wasn't trumpeted by me that's for sure, because we've been sold this line before by the club that the "international" players we sign are the dug's bollocks, when in reality a guy who's unattached in October might not be any better than what we've got and that's being charitable to the recruitment team.

What have him, Nelom, Rherras, Eardley, Eckersley, et al contributed to the team?

Zip, that's what, and I'm sick of the whiff of "budget buys" that permeates our signings and the club shouldn't take us for such mugs by signing stop-gaps to replace players that have moved on.

All of the players you list were bought as back up in case of emergency. Insurance, if you like.

Fortunately, they weren't needed.

JimBHibees
23-12-2018, 07:43 PM

Recruitment in the main has been better than not in most cases imo. Some of these guys are cover so not sure of the need to get excited when they leave.

500miles
23-12-2018, 07:48 PM
Don't need him. We're bringing in the big Gunns in January.

SirDavidsNapper
23-12-2018, 08:04 PM
What a player he was. We were lucky to have him

Saturday Boy
23-12-2018, 08:17 PM
All of the players you list were bought as back up in case of emergency. Insurance, if you like.

Fortunately, they weren't needed.

Agreed. I’m sure some posters know this full well, but it’s easier to put the boot in to the club.

I’m worried that the next step will be calling unused subs out for contributing nothing and being wage thieves 😄

CropleyWasGod
23-12-2018, 08:35 PM
Agreed. I’m sure some posters know this full well, but it’s easier to put the boot in to the club.

I’m worried that the next step will be calling unused subs out for contributing nothing and being wage thieves [emoji1]That Stevenson was a waste of a track suit yesterday.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Scotty Leither
23-12-2018, 08:40 PM
Recruitment in the main has been better than not in most cases imo. Some of these guys are cover so not sure of the need to get excited when they leave.

I'd have preferred one proven player like a half-decent experienced centre forward that could've made a difference.

I'm sure there's maybe even one out there that we could've flexed the budget a bit for too, and they needn't even have been an international player, either.

CmoantheHibs
23-12-2018, 08:41 PM
Don't need him. We're bringing in the big Gunns in January.

Would be happy with that.

BILLYHIBS
23-12-2018, 08:50 PM
Played in two full games recently 5/12/18 St Mirren (H) 2-2
8/12/18 Hamilton (A) 1-0

:confused:

Now surplus to requirements

Its a hard knock life !

Forza Fred
23-12-2018, 08:54 PM

At least he actually kicked a ball during a first team game......something that Eckersley didn’t.

WhileTheChief..
23-12-2018, 10:46 PM
Same goes for every Hibs manager.

Probably every manager.

JimBHibees
24-12-2018, 05:06 AM
Aye its really funny a player taking a wage and contributing next to nothing.:aok:

You really dont understand football do you. It is a squad game so not all will play he was brought in as short term cover which he provided when needed.

Brooster
24-12-2018, 06:13 AM
I've read 2 threads so far this morning - this and the Porteous thread and they are rammed with folk getting Leeds Utd about nothing really. Squad player moves on and star defender plays on with minor injury......day to day happenings at a football club in my opinion.

Winston Ingram
24-12-2018, 06:44 AM

Who on Twitter?

neil7908
24-12-2018, 07:04 AM
I've read 2 threads so far this morning - this and the Porteous thread and they are rammed with folk getting Leeds Utd about nothing really. Squad player moves on and star defender plays on with minor injury......day to day happenings at a football club in my opinion.

I've been critical of Lennon recently but agree this isn't a massive issue.

Another poster said it was like an extended trial and that's how I see it. Clearly he was brought in as cover and to test the waters but it hasn't worked.

Would it have been better if we'd given him a 5 year deal?

I have questions about Lennon's recruitment but have no issues with having a couple of players like Nelom and Marvais in short deals, as long as the core of the squad are more settled.

Brooster
24-12-2018, 07:10 AM
I've been critical of Lennon recently but agree this isn't a massive issue.

Another poster said it was like an extended trial and that's how I see it. Clearly he was brought in as cover and to test the waters but it hasn't worked.

Would it have been better if we'd given him a 5 year deal?

I have questions about Lennon's recruitment but have no issues with having a couple of players like Nelom and Marvais in short deals, as long as the core of the squad are more settled.

I agree with that Neil. We are all begging for new players in January but to achieve that we need to move players on. Mavrais won't be missed if he moves.

Bangkok Hibby
25-12-2018, 01:20 AM
Who on Twitter?Sorry cant do links but it was twitter site "Hellas football"

Ronniekirk
25-12-2018, 08:01 AM
Thought he was injured But if Lennon and Parker are serious about carrying out thier threat to Bring new players in ,as certain players aren't contributing , then they need to Off load players who are deemed surplus to Requirements or who they think aren't performing for them ,and the Club.
Could be an Intetesting Window

Pretty Boy
25-12-2018, 08:19 AM
I thought he looked average at very best in the games he played. I was suprised to see sone of the praise for him after the St Mirren game.

We brought him in at a time when the options of who you can sign are limited, had a look at him, he helped out when needed, didn't cost a great deal and now he's moving on. No real loss and frees up a wage for January. I don't really see a huge issue.

Ryan69
25-12-2018, 09:31 AM
What was the point in signing him in the first place?
Im pretty sure Nelom will be on the same plane out of here too.

Lennon sure loves to make occasional signings...that appear a complete waste of time.
Rherras last year off the top of my head.

BSEJVT
25-12-2018, 12:46 PM
What was the point in signing him in the first place?
Im pretty sure Nelom will be on the same plane out of here too.

Lennon sure loves to make occasional signings...that appear a complete waste of time.
Rherras last year off the top of my head.

I think that's pretty harsh on Lennon whose signing policy btw I don't have unbridled admiration for.

The squad is paper thin and there are bucket loads of young boys in there.

The squad badly needed some experience and Nelom & Mavrias ought to have offered that at low cost.

I think they have both been very poor but without them at times we would have been playing far too many young boys at the one time and that wouldn't have been good for their development or that of the other young boys playing.

I would file their signings under "worth a punt that didn't come off"

Football is littered with guys of decent pedigree who have started down the inexorable road to oblivion far earlier than expected.

Ryan69
25-12-2018, 01:14 PM
I think that's pretty harsh on Lennon whose signing policy btw I don't have unbridled admiration for.

The squad is paper thin and there are bucket loads of young boys in there.

The squad badly needed some experience and Nelom & Mavrias ought to have offered that at low cost.

I think they have both been very poor but without them at times we would have been playing far too many young boys at the one time and that wouldn't have been good for their development or that of the other young boys playing.

I would file their signings under "worth a punt that didn't come off"

Football is littered with guys of decent pedigree who have started down the inexorable road to oblivion far earlier than expected.

It may be harsh...but these guys even came here on trial first.

So was it bad judgement in watching them train,and believe they offered something?
Or is it that alot of his signings have really not been great.

We got lucky last year in pulling out McLaren and Flo who hit the ground running.
Allan he cant really take praise for.

B.H.F.C
25-12-2018, 01:21 PM

So was it bad judgement in watching them train,and believe they offered something?

We got lucky last year in pulling out McLaren and Flo who hit the ground running.

Why not take praise for Allan?

He had the balls to empty our top scorer and let Bain go to make the transfer happen.

superfurryhibby
25-12-2018, 01:25 PM

Why can’t he take praise for Allan? He signed Bain, swapped him for Allan and punted Stokes and shipped Simon Murray up to Dundee whilst bringing in Mc Laren and Kamberi. That was a masterstroke of wheeling and dealing.

Lennon also brough Ambrose in during 2017 January window, another superb signing.

No one knows the fine details involved in signing guys like Mavrias and Nelom, but I would guess it in pretty minimal in terms of financial outlay for Hibs. In the greater scheme of things, I cannae really work up sweat worrying about the comings and goings of guys like them.

Radium
25-12-2018, 01:38 PM
Sorry cant do links but it was twitter site "Hellas football"

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181225/9d0a932b8d3014b6a19e8e8f82216d5b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BSEJVT
25-12-2018, 05:01 PM

Sometimes you want a Ferrari but can only afford a Fiesta

If you need the Fiesta to get to work you buy it

Its not what you wanted but its the best you could afford.

Dashing Bob S
25-12-2018, 06:21 PM
So the consensus is that is the possibiy one of the most underwhelming threads ever on Hibs net.

SonOfDavidFrancey
25-12-2018, 06:57 PM
Sounds like Mavrias is peed off at not getting into the team and is moving on. So what?

matty_f
28-12-2018, 08:59 AM
Confirmed by Hibs now.

Barney McGrew
28-12-2018, 09:02 AM
http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/9578

bigwheel
28-12-2018, 09:11 AM

These signings are simply an insurance policy ..cheap cover in case we need them. Shouldn’t t be judged as anything else ...

bingo70
28-12-2018, 09:32 AM

So he gets the blame for the signings that don't work out but the signings that do work out are lucky or he can't get the praise for?

Who'd be a manager eh?!

wookie70
28-12-2018, 09:36 AM
No problem with this, the player wants a regular start and we probably signed him hoping he would force his way in. As he is behind Gray and Whittaker and Daz could play there too it's best for us to look for someone that could improve us or to get another up and coming player to try out. I'm very critical of Lennon's/management team's signing record but he was a stocking filler players. They are there to make up the numbers with the hope you get the odd gem. It is the Mallans, Horgans, Holts, Grahams etc etc who are bought with a view to be first team starters that the management team should be judged on.

JimBHibees
28-12-2018, 09:40 AM
These signings are simply an insurance policy ..cheap cover in case we need them. Shouldn’t t be judged as anything else ...

Nail on the head.

Rumble de Thump
28-12-2018, 09:42 AM
These kind of threads are becoming increasingly difficult to read with the amount of posters you have to block these days. Can anyone who doesn't talk gibberish provide a quick summary please?

Lemonade
28-12-2018, 10:37 AM

Spot on.
It’s strange that some posters are getting their knickers in a twist.

matty_f
28-12-2018, 10:42 AM
Spot on.

:agree: He arrived with decent pedigree so we will have known that we could rely on him if needed.

He plugged a gap until the January window opened.

Barman Stanton
28-12-2018, 12:25 PM
Spot on.

Not strange at all. There are some posters who cant wait to stick the boot into Lennon and Hibs.

hibIBZ
28-12-2018, 12:28 PM
Did ok when called upon but never really looked like forcing his way in to a starting place. Cheap cover nothing more, good luck to the guy.

Lancs Harp
28-12-2018, 12:35 PM
Had forgotten all about him to be honest and I didn't get to see him play.

I thought the Europa cup draw had been made early when I saw the OP and have spent the last 15 minutes diligently scanning my European atlas for Mavrias.

Joking aside, clearly didn't work out for him at Easter Road and moving on would seem the best outcome for all concerned.