PDA

View Full Version : Ollie shaw

Babyshamble
23-12-2018, 12:30 AM
Hasn't improved one bit.pretty sure will get the Ltyf for saying this.get rid of him.hes just pish. Offers nowt.

GaryOsCheerios
23-12-2018, 12:33 AM
What does Ltyf stand for?

Shaws done ok. Wouldn’t write him off just yet. Still young remember.

MWHIBBIES
23-12-2018, 12:45 AM
You're not a yam, just clueless. Which is fine. Someone has to make the rest of us look good.

Shaw is a talent. 2 important goals recently, assist Vs Celtic. Only played 45 minutes today.

cannastar
23-12-2018, 01:03 AM
ollie needs a run of games.he is almost there very very exciting prospect.

Slim Shady
23-12-2018, 01:05 AM
You're not a yam, just clueless. Which is fine. Someone has to make the rest of us look good.

Shaw is a talent. 2 important goals recently, assist Vs Celtic. Only played 45 minutes today.

Shaw maybe a talent in your opinion. Hibernian have to be aiming and looking at a higher calibre right now tho. We don’t have the opportunity to sit back and play Ollie on the hope he will succeed. Mediocrity is not acceptable where we want to be. If that’s the ambition of our current board then it doesn’t match the manager - he will walk.

MWHIBBIES
23-12-2018, 01:08 AM
Shaw maybe a talent in your opinion. Hibernian have to be aiming and looking at a higher calibre right now tho. We don’t have the opportunity to sit back and play Ollie on the hope he will succeed. Mediocrity is not acceptable where we want to be. If that’s the ambition of our current board then it doesn’t match the manager - he will walk.
But our manager is the one picking Shaw mate, not me. He's a talent in Neil Lennons opinion.

Daydreamer
23-12-2018, 01:20 AM
But our manager is the one picking Shaw mate, not me. He's a talent in Neil Lennons opinion.

Not true. He is definitely on his last legs at Hibernian FC if you know any of the players regarding his attitude. He will be at a championship club this time next year.

Keyser Sauzee
23-12-2018, 03:16 AM
Not good enough today, but better than Allan. How Lennon continued with Allan in the 2nd half is beyond me. Will Shaw be a success, time will tell, but he has to impose himself for 90 mins more. Yes he has contributed quite a lot recently but over a 90 minute game he has to do more.

calumhibee1
23-12-2018, 03:20 AM
At best he will be a career ‘sub striker’ imo. The kind of guy that will get 6 or 7 goals a season but never really threaten to get alot more.

Allan might be the least threatening forward I’ve seen in a long time. I’ve no doubt in my mind he won’t score a first team goal any time soon.

DetroitHibs
23-12-2018, 03:32 AM
If you take the blinkers off, he actually offers more than Maclaren. Scored more goals this year and does more off the ball. The BIGGEST issue is not with Shaw. A young development players shouldn't have all that weight on his shoulders. The problem was starting the season with ****ing three forwards. Two first team players and a youngster. A team that has aspirations of cup runs and challenging for Europe does NOT start the season with such a bare thread squad.

WeeRussell
23-12-2018, 06:15 AM
Not true. He is definitely on his last legs at Hibernian FC if you know any of the players regarding his attitude. He will be at a championship club this time next year.

What part wasn’t true in what MW said.. Neil Lennon doesn’t think he’s a talent?

IDHibs
23-12-2018, 06:33 AM
What Shaw and Allan have to learn, and quickly, is that you get zero time on the ball at this level. First touch and awareness of those around you are crucial. Ollie has shown he can operate in this league in patches. Allan looked like a lost boy yesterday and for me needs to be bled into the team sparingly. He shouldn't have been starting , too much weight on a young boys shoulders, rather bleed him in via substitute appearances

bingo70
23-12-2018, 06:47 AM
Shaw and Allan both remind me of Danny Handling in that they seem almost apologetic for being on the park, they seem content to try and control it, pass it back 10 yards and be content they’ve not lost the ball. Lennon went nuts at Shaw yesterday for doing that when he could have turned and had a shot.

Imo neither have the spark or that bit of something special to make the step up.

I wasn’t always Cummings biggest fan but watching him break through, even when he wasn’t scoring, was night and day to these two.

Nicho87
23-12-2018, 07:01 AM
Not currently good enough.

Heisenberg
23-12-2018, 07:08 AM
What Shaw and Allan have to learn, and quickly, is that you get zero time on the ball at this level. First touch and awareness of those around you are crucial. Ollie has shown he can operate in this league in patches. Allan looked like a lost boy yesterday and for me needs to be bled into the team sparingly. He shouldn't have been starting , too much weight on a young boys shoulders, rather bleed him in via substitute appearances

Allan isn’t a young boy. He’s 22, a year younger than Flo. He simply isn’t good enough.

IDHibs
23-12-2018, 07:22 AM
Allan isn’t a young boy. He’s 22, a year younger than Flo. He simply isn’t good enough.

Certainly young in terms of first team experience and it showed yesterday. Maybe he won't cut the mustard, i don't know, but i stand by what i said in as much as the responsibility heaped on him and Shaw yesterday didn't help their cause one little bit.

LustForLeith
23-12-2018, 07:25 AM
I feel sorry for Shaw. He seems to be lacking confidence. He’d benefit from playing with a Grant Holt type or even a Kenny Miller type, someone with experience who’ll put an arm around him.

judas
23-12-2018, 07:40 AM

You’ve just served a large portion of single fish.

Shaw may not currently be good enough and he may not make the grade in the end, but there’s nowt wrong with his attitude

Have a word.

Ronniekirk
23-12-2018, 07:41 AM

Lennon chose to keep him on another year but on yesterday's showing Its hard to see how we could justify giving him another extension to his contract Maybe it was a big ask yesterday to throw him in ibut that's was his chance to shine and I do t think he did enough Next Season will. be a big one for Ollie He has shown he can score at this level and he now needs to keep working on his game seeking to improve

Pretty Boy
23-12-2018, 08:09 AM
I'm a bit conflicted with Shaw. There are times I think he's 'got it' and is going to be a star for us and others when I think his next club won't be at a comparable level to Hibs, and I don't mean he'll be moving upwards.

He's at a bit of a crossroads at the moment and he needs to kick on and start showing the good stuff more consistently. He strikes me as being one who could be a bit like Tam McManus; here for years, long spells of being average, a few flashes of brilliance then a journeyman career awaits. Equally in the good spells I think he could be far better than that.

Time will tell I suppose.

Since90+2
23-12-2018, 08:10 AM
Shaw at the moment in time is not good enough to be a starting striker for Hibs. He may over time improve but my instinct with him is that he will spend most of his career in the Championship.

Ryan69
23-12-2018, 08:27 AM
Hasn't improved one bit.pretty sure will get the Ltyf for saying this.get rid of him.hes just pish. Offers nowt.

Think he needs a loan spell in the Championship for the rest of the season.
Playing regularly,would score goals,and really helpful for him.

theonlywayisup
23-12-2018, 08:37 AM
I'm a bit conflicted with Shaw. There are times I think he's 'got it' and is going to be a star for us and others when I think his next club won't be at a comparable level to Hibs, and I don't mean he'll be moving upwards.

He's at a bit of a crossroads at the moment and he needs to kick on and start showing the good stuff more consistently. He strikes me as being one who could be a bit like Tam McManus; here for years, long spells of being average, a few flashes of brilliance then a journeyman career awaits. Equally in the good spells I think he could be far better than that.

Time will tell I suppose.

That's my thoughts as well. I think at this moment in his career that he's best used coming on for the last twenty minutes. Not starting with another who's only played three or four senior games for Hibs.

Baldy Foghorn
23-12-2018, 08:38 AM
Needs to work on his upper strength, but I like him, he will be a big player in a year. Unfortunately we need big players now

GreenCastle
23-12-2018, 09:20 AM
Am I the only one who was surprised Shaw came off instead of Allan?

I actually think Shaw has improved recently and his half turn and shot showed what he’s all about.

He’s a natural finisher and while he could have scored against Rangers he still is improving and agreed needs experience alongside him. He issue is Flo isn’t playing well and isn’t exactly experienced - Grant Holt would be the perfect player.

Brightside
23-12-2018, 09:24 AM
What does Ltyf stand for?

Shaws done ok. Wouldn’t write him off just yet. Still young remember.

Isnt he same age as Kamberi? Our academy players seem to stay young for about 10 years.

SirDavidsNapper
23-12-2018, 09:26 AM
Our starting strike force yesterday wouldn't look out of place in the Championship.

Heisenberg
23-12-2018, 09:27 AM
Folk give our academy players so much leeway. If MacLaren had put in a performance like Shaw/Allan yesterday there would be a huge thread already detailing his number of touches and how ***** he was.

Lewis Allan is a League Two striker at best. Shaw, while he’s scored some tap ins he’s clearly nowhere near good enough.

Lennon made a massive mistake starting with that team yesterday. The subs, mainly Horgan, saved us a point.

Baldy Foghorn
23-12-2018, 09:29 AM
Folk give our academy players so much leeway. If MacLaren had put in a performance like Shaw/Allan yesterday there would be a huge thread already detailing his number of touches and how ***** he was.

Lennon made a massive mistake starting with that team yesterday.

Lennon was obviously unhappy with our senior players, took a chance, it didn't pan out well.......

Real Emerald
23-12-2018, 09:31 AM
Our starting strike force yesterday wouldn't look out of place in the Championship.

That stating strike force is not even good enough for the Championship. After spending 3 seasons down there I think we would all be a bit worried if we were relying on them two as a main strike force to get us promoted!

overdrive
23-12-2018, 09:34 AM
I think if you combined certain attributes of Shaw and Allan into one player, we’d have a decent player on our hands. Individually, I don’t think either will make it. I thought Mackie was quite poor yesterday too unfortunately.

Bob1875
23-12-2018, 09:34 AM
He’ll end up in championship, league 1. Absolute certainty. Nothing against the guy just don’t think he has it.

BILLYHIBS
23-12-2018, 09:37 AM
We could do worse than swap yesterday’s front two for Edinburgh City’s front two

My_Wife_Camille
23-12-2018, 10:31 AM

Shaw does not have it. I don’t know why you continue to bang that drum and then insult people who disagree with you.

He’ll be playing lower league football before too long.

J-C
23-12-2018, 10:37 AM
Shaw's not ready to start yet, needs to toughen up a bit, championship loan would do him the world of good

MrRobot
23-12-2018, 10:43 AM
Lennon was obviously unhappy with our senior players, took a chance, it didn't pan out well.......

I thought he was just rotating the squad.

MWHIBBIES
23-12-2018, 10:44 AM
Shaw does not have it. I don’t know why you continue to bang that drum and then insult people who disagree with you.

He’ll be playing lower league football before too long.

I didn't insult him. Anyone who comes on here and describes a 20 year old lad who has scored quite a few important goals for us already as "just pish" is obviously a bit silly. He's obviously talented. Could easily make it here.

Eyrie
23-12-2018, 10:59 AM
Shaw isn't capable of carrying the team because he's too inexperienced and he's a finisher more than a link man, so he needs the right partner to play with.

I'm fine with him starting or coming off the bench for this year and next before a decision needs to be made.

Keyser Sauzee
23-12-2018, 11:01 AM
I didn't insult him. Anyone who comes on here and describes a 20 year old lad who has scored quite a few important goals for us already as "just pish" is obviously a bit silly. He's obviously talented. Could easily make it here.

Calling him clueless is insulting him

MWHIBBIES
23-12-2018, 11:02 AM
Calling him clueless is insulting him

That's true. It's also my opinion. Shaw might not make it but he's far from pish. Will score alot of goals for someone. Better record than most for his age.

B.H.F.C
23-12-2018, 11:05 AM
If you had told me at the start of the season Shaw would have chipped in with 5 goals by now I’d have been quite happy with that.

But that would have been based on him being third choice striker. He’s played more that he should have, and probably more than his own form deserves, because we signed so poorly and one of our big signings has contributed absolutely nothing.

Keyser Sauzee
23-12-2018, 11:20 AM
That's true. It's also my opinion. Shaw might not make it but he's far from pish. Will score alot of goals for someone. Better record than most for his age.

So u can insult a poster as long as its ur opinion?? Nobody can argue that Shaw hasn’t been important for us in the last month or so and even with the couple of goals he’s scored in that time I’d still class his performances as ok, nothing more. I can’t remember a game where he was really good for the whole 90 mins. Not trying to have a go at him but our current situation means we need more from all our players, esp our strikers. I wouldn’t be surprised if shaw has a decent career in the top league in Scotland, I also wouldn’t be surprised if his career was mainly in the lower leagues up here too.

Allant1981
23-12-2018, 11:22 AM
Isnt he same age as Kamberi? Our academy players seem to stay young for about 10 years.

3 years younger

MWHIBBIES
23-12-2018, 11:26 AM
So u can insult a poster as long as its ur opinion?? Nobody can argue that Shaw hasn’t been important for us in the last month or so and even with the couple of goals he’s scored in that time I’d still class his performances as ok, nothing more. I can’t remember a game where he was really good for the whole 90 mins. Not trying to have a go at him but our current situation means we need more from all our players, esp our strikers. I wouldn’t be surprised if shaw has a decent career in the top league in Scotland, I also wouldn’t be surprised if his career was mainly in the lower leagues up here too.

I didn't say it was okay but I've not been warned by any admins for it so it must be. I think anyone coming on here calling any of our players pish is clueless. It's a ridiculous thing to say. Especially about a guy with 5 goals already this season.

SirDavidsNapper
23-12-2018, 11:47 AM
If we had signed a player and he'd had Shaws return and performances he'd be getting hounded. We seem to show our youth players unwavering faith. Seen it loads of times. Persevering with young players who are just not good enough.

MWHIBBIES
23-12-2018, 11:49 AM
If we had signed a player and he'd had Shaws return and performances he'd be getting hounded. We seem to show our youth players unwavering faith. Seen it loads of times. Persevering with young players who are just not good enough.

If we signed a 20 year old and he scored 10 goals in the minutes Shaw has I'd be delighted.

Since90+2
23-12-2018, 12:16 PM
If we signed a 20 year old and he scored 10 goals in the minutes Shaw has I'd be delighted.

He's played 42 games and scored 10 goals which is a decent return , not sure I would be delighted if it was a new signing though.

As a comparison Simon Murray scored 14 goals in 29 games for us (quite a few in th league cup admittedly), although I'd accept quite a few of Shaw's appearances are from the bench. I'd also argue that Murray contributed more when not scoring , purely down to his work ethic and the amount of running he put in.

Everyone wants Ollie to succeed and go on and become a top drawer forward but there are legitimate concerns at this time IMO whether or not he is at the standard required.

MWHIBBIES
23-12-2018, 12:32 PM
He's played 42 games and scored 10 goals which is a decent return , not sure I would be delighted if it was a new signing though.

As a comparison Simon Murray scored 14 goals in 29 games for us (quite a few in th league cup admittedly), although I'd accept quite a few of Shaw's appearances are from the bench. I'd also argue that Murray contributed more when not scoring , purely down to his work ethic and the amount of running he put in.

Everyone wants Ollie to succeed and go on and become a top drawer forward but there are legitimate concerns at this time IMO whether or not he is at the standard required.
For someone who had about 6 appearances this time last year and has played mainly from the bench I think it's a very good return. We've had much worse first choice forwards. I personally hope we sign a new striker to partner flo and Oli can grow and learn without the pressure of being a first choice every week. Not that he's let us down at all in the last few weeks.

GreenCastle
23-12-2018, 12:38 PM
That stating strike force is not even good enough for the Championship. After spending 3 seasons down there I think we would all be a bit worried if we were relying on them two as a main strike force to get us promoted!

That's a fair point...

If I was an opposition defender I would be probably thinking I was 1-0 up playing against 2 kids.

The same happened when Shaw was up against Berra at Tynecastle perviously.

We need to recruit better - injuries or not we have been left short in a key area.

hibsbollah
23-12-2018, 12:41 PM
Am I the only one who was surprised Shaw came off instead of Allan?

I actually think Shaw has improved recently and his half turn and shot showed what he’s all about.

He’s a natural finisher and while he could have scored against Rangers he still is improving and agreed needs experience alongside him. He issue is Flo isn’t playing well and isn’t exactly experienced - Grant Holt would be the perfect player.

I agree with you. I thought Lewis Allan looked completely outclassed and didn't contribute anything of note in 45. Shaw should have done better (against an excellent keeper, admittedly) when firing straight at him, but his movement was better than Allan.

But the squad is looking threadbare and the result didn't surprise me particularly. A new dynamic centre forward in the window would give everyone a boost.

makaveli1875
23-12-2018, 01:43 PM
Some absolute ***** in this thread . Ollie has just come up from the ****ing youth team of course he's not the finished article , but a league 1 player come on thats ****ing brutal patter

Ozyhibby
23-12-2018, 05:26 PM
I think Shaw will come good in time but I’m confident Allan won’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wookie70
23-12-2018, 08:12 PM

Shaw has scored at a rate of more than a goal every 2 games in the top league. Better than Kamberi's league record. He is a young inexperienced player who has done very well and looks to have many of the attributes a goalscorer needs. This season he should probably be learning his craft off the bench but we are so short up front he has played quite a bit and often when we are struggling. If he keeps scoring and gets stronger then he will easily be a good Premier League player. He is pretty much there already at 20 years old. He deserves some support regardless if he came through the academy or was signed as he is generally doing a decent job.

Billy Whizz
23-12-2018, 08:25 PM
Shaw has scored at a rate of more than a goal every 2 games in the top league. Better than Kamberi's league record. He is a young inexperienced player who has done very well and looks to have many of the attributes a goalscorer needs. This season he should probably be learning his craft off the bench but we are so short up front he has played quite a bit and often when we are struggling. If he keeps scoring and gets stronger then he will easily be a good Premier League player. He is pretty much there already at 20 years old. He deserves some support regardless if he came through the academy or was signed as he is generally doing a decent job.

Too sensible a post for here

Onion
23-12-2018, 08:45 PM
Some absolute ***** in this thread . Ollie has just come up from the ****ing youth team of course he's not the finished article , but a league 1 player come on thats ****ing brutal patter

Think Shaw is getting it in the neck because Lennon failed to sign a 3rd striker and the first 2 (Kamberi and MacLaren) have been woeful. Who knows if he'll make it, but at this point too much is being asked of Shaw by Lennon but he's doing all he can under the circumstances.

Unseen work
23-12-2018, 10:01 PM
He’s not nearly as good a finisher as I was expecting, understand he’s still young and will be nervous but Iv yet to see him score a really good goal.

The miss against Rangers on Wednesday was horrendous

MWHIBBIES
23-12-2018, 10:21 PM
He’s not nearly as good a finisher as I was expecting, understand he’s still young and will be nervous but Iv yet to see him score a really good goal.

Scored a lovely goal vs Celtic.. Cracker in Europe. Took his goal on the first day Vs Motherwell very well too.

Lago
23-12-2018, 10:52 PM

Murray would have been an asset on Saturday.

wookie70
23-12-2018, 10:56 PM

To me the best strikers score their goals in the box, in between the sticks and with fairly simple finishes usually caused by a good run and sensible positioning. To me Shaw has all that and yes he misses. So do all strikers. Both misses against The Rangers were the result of very good strikers play but he, unusually for him, missed the target. I can't think why but maybe he is lacking a bit of confidence or feeling under pressure. can't think why

Smartie
23-12-2018, 10:59 PM
He's not nearly as good a finisher as I was expecting but he's a far better all-round player.

It's been a bit unlucky for him that he's been thrust into a struggling team and expected to play a lot more football than expected.

With the right players around him, I think he could be a big asset. That goes for pretty much all of our players right now, although none of them seem to be able to play particularly well with each other.

I also didn't think Lewis Allan was all that bad. He had a few very good touches to go with some dreadful ones, probably what you'd expect from someone who has started so few matches and played so few first team minutes.

Smartie
23-12-2018, 11:02 PM
Murray would have been an asset on Saturday.

Murray would and really should have been our main striker throughout the first half of this season.

It's crazy that we got rid of him and then used Shaw, Allan and an out-of-sorts Flo as much as we have.

Diclonius
23-12-2018, 11:11 PM
I don't get this whole "people falling over themselves to write off a guy who's 20" thing.

MWHIBBIES
23-12-2018, 11:51 PM
Murray would and really should have been our main striker throughout the first half of this season.

It's crazy that we got rid of him and then used Shaw, Allan and an out-of-sorts Flo as much as we have.
Allan has started 2 games so let's discount him right away. Flo is a better player with a far higher ceiling that Murray will ever have. Shaw has rarely let us down. Would definitely not swap Shaw or Flo for Murray.

Smartie
23-12-2018, 11:56 PM
Allan has started 2 games so let's discount him right away. Flo is a better player with a far higher ceiling that Murray will ever have. Shaw has rarely let us down. Would definitely not swap Shaw or Flo for Murray.

Allan's started 2 games so there's 2 starts for Murray.

I don't think I'd be swapping any of these players for Murray, but he'd have been an excellent alternative. If he was at the club in addition to these 3, there are probably 10+ games that I'd have chosen to start Murray over the others for various reasons.

Murray looked horribly short of confidence during the summer and he was certainly hot and cold for us, but he had something about him, wasn't a total failure and if he'd have recaptured a bit of confidence and form then he might well have been an asset.

His pace and graft could create half chances for himself which might have been useful in a team as lacking in creativity as ours.

cocteautwin
24-12-2018, 12:32 AM
I don't get this whole "people falling over themselves to write off a guy who's 20" thing.

20"? Better tell Roy Castle to bring a measuring tape.

basehibby
24-12-2018, 12:49 AM
Hibs.net would be very quiet without someone in the team getting a kicking.
I get that people are entitled to an opinion but I wish posts would fade away after a time as a lot of the anti anything Hibs on here get far too much mileage with some posts.

BBC web page is becoming a more appealing read than Hibs.net these days and that is just plain wrong.

Agreed - sometimes Hibs.net is like an exhibition of reactionary stupidity. Shaw is not the finished article but has made a more than decent start to his Hibs career. At 20 he has a bit time on his side to improve yet, but is already finding the net with pleasing regularity.

As for Allan - it's the first time I've had a decent look and there's more cause for concern there for a player who, at 22, should really be a regular first teamer - or elsewhere other than Easter Rd. He was far from impressive over the 90 minutes and that does not bode well for him.

What is even more perplexing and concerning is how the much vaunted Jamie McLaren was relegated to the bench by these two. I can understand that Flo has played plenty of games and there may have been an argument for resting him with two crucial games in the next week - not so for McLaren who has barely had a sniff so far this season and surely should have been the next in line for a start if all was well.