PDA

View Full Version : Penalties

BILLYHIBS
22-12-2018, 08:14 PM
After Livvys delaying tactics and FLOs body language and run up resulting in a poor attempt as Liam Kelly seemed to have been already diving that way as he made an easy save at the perfect height and weight for a goalkeeper

Someone in front of me commented that Mark Milligan has never missed a penalty in his long and illustrious career.

I have found nothing online to contradict this claim and there are plenty of clips on YouTube to back this claim up

Is it time to relieve Flo of his penalty taking duties bearing in mind what affect it may have on his already declining confidence together with the fact that we are in the middle of a tough league campaign where every game is a war of attrition and penalty kicks are a free hit?

MWHIBBIES
22-12-2018, 08:18 PM
That would mean Milligan is on the pitch so no thanks.

GreenProfessor
22-12-2018, 08:18 PM
After Livvys delaying tactics and FLOs body language and run up resulting in a poor attempt as Liam Kelly seemed to have been already diving that way as he made an easy save at the perfect height and weight for a goalkeeper

Someone in front of me commented that Mark Milligan has never missed a penalty in his long and illustrious career.

I have found nothing online to contradict this claim and there are plenty of clips on YouTube to back this claim up

Is it time to relieve Flo of his penalty taking duties bearing in mind what affect it may have on his already declining confidence together with the fact that we are in the middle of a tough league campaign where every game is a war of attrition and penalty kicks are a free hit?

Good point and a tricky one....if he gets back on the proverbial horse and scores the next one it could give him a much needed boost of confidence...all assumimg he scores of course 😬

spudhib
22-12-2018, 08:23 PM
Low in confidence then hit it hard as you can straight down the middle surely.?

hibee-boys
22-12-2018, 08:28 PM
I find it incredible that someone who's full time job is kicking a football can't simply pick a botton/top corner and strike it hard into one of those. There's no excuse for trying to send a keeper the wrong way, hit the ball with pace and the keeper has no chance. Anyone who doesn't have the confidence to strike a penalty as above shouldn't bother stepping up.

BILLYHIBS
22-12-2018, 08:29 PM

Just what my son said!

Lancs Harp
22-12-2018, 08:35 PM
Just what my son said!

Low in confidence, he shouldnt be takin one, simple as.

cannastar
22-12-2018, 10:57 PM
piteous or Mackie should have taken it.got a feeling Mackie would have burst the net with it.

wookie70
22-12-2018, 11:05 PM
Management team picks the penalty taker and they surely would have had misgivings about Flo considering their comments. If they were worried about his attitude, application or confidence why was he on penalties.

Eyrie
23-12-2018, 09:32 AM
Hammering the ball into the back of the net always worked for Kamberi previously. Don't know why he changed yesterday.

Management team picks the penalty taker and they surely would have had misgivings about Flo considering their comments. If they were worried about his attitude, application or confidence why was he on penalties.
Unless his indecision was because he was feeling under pressure due to being publicly criticised by management?

J-C
23-12-2018, 09:41 AM
Boyle's a good pen taker, pick a spot and put the foot through it Vardy style 😁

theonlywayisup
23-12-2018, 09:42 AM
I think players should lose a week's wages for trying these fancy penalties. I firmly believe that a penalty should be low and with loads of pace. If you do, it's then the miracle save that stops. If you try the fancy stuff then a goalie just has to guess correctly.

You saw that with the Leicester penalties in mid week. McGuire went low and firm. The goalie guessed correctly but couldn't save. The next three all took fancy walk ups and missed.

Wheat Hound
23-12-2018, 09:47 AM
Flo took a crap pen 1st game v Runavik which just squirmed under the keeper. Boyle took an equally crap one v Dun Utd away Dec 2016 which the keeper saved. MacLaren v Abderdeen away last season was powderpuff.

Can't think of the last regular taker we had who scored regularly?

theonlywayisup
23-12-2018, 09:48 AM
Flo took a crap pen 1st game v Runavik which just squirmed under the keeper. Boyle took an equally crap one v Dun Utd away Dec 2016 which the keeper saved. MacLaren v Abderdeen away last season was powderpuff.

Ally McLeod

NORTHERNHIBBY
23-12-2018, 09:55 AM
It is not always the correct choice for a striker to be the penalty taker if you consider how often in a game they will be asked to strike a ball that isn't moving.

BILLYHIBS
23-12-2018, 09:57 AM
Ally McLeod

Joe Davis

Pretty Boy
23-12-2018, 09:58 AM
Kamberi has generally been consistent with his penalty taking. Yesterday he looked liked a guy terrified to miss the target and no wonder.

Bostonhibby
23-12-2018, 10:04 AM
Troy Deeney shows the way against west ham yesterday.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Wheat Hound
23-12-2018, 10:21 AM
To be fair, my earlier post was a bit unfair on Flo. His 2 penalties in the last 2 games of last season at Tynecastle and at ER v Sevco were excellent.

LaMotta
23-12-2018, 10:34 AM

Tommy McIntyre.

Well until the Airdrie Scottish cup QF.:boo hoo:

IDHibs
23-12-2018, 10:54 AM
Joe Davis

Hit the post once against Airdrie or Motherwell as i recall.... shockeroony. Was a Wed'y night game and at Dunbar end. He'd have been hung drawn and quartered for his misdemeanour in this day and age by some of the posters on here

erin go bragh
23-12-2018, 11:02 AM
It is not always the correct choice for a striker to be the penalty taker if you consider how often in a game they will be asked to strike a ball that isn't moving.
James Milner at Liverpool is the perfect example.
Get Milligan on the pens pronto .

erin go bragh
23-12-2018, 11:07 AM
Boyle's a good pen taker, pick a spot and put the foot through it Vardy style 😁
Boyle hit a shocking pen against Utd ,which was also in Dec 2016 .
Maybe were just crap with penalties during December 😜

SChibs
23-12-2018, 11:19 AM
Troy Deeney shows the way against west ham yesterday.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

He's a good pen taker but he had actually missed his 2 previous before yesterday.

GreenCastle
23-12-2018, 11:32 AM

I remember that penalty v Runavik.

Who else has Flo scored penalties against ?

Boyle says on the DVD he isn't too comfortable on penalties.

Hanlon is good at them - but wasn't on the pitch.

I have no idea if they practice them but we have missed too many in recent years in one off situations - even lost the shoot out V Aberdeen in the cup this season.

MWHIBBIES
23-12-2018, 11:35 AM
I remember that penalty v Runavik.

Who else has Flo scored penalties against ?

Boyle says on the DVD he isn't too comfortable on penalties.

Hanlon is good at them - but wasn't on the pitch.

I have no idea if they practice them but we have missed too many in recent years in one off situations - even lost the shoot out V Aberdeen in the cup this season.
Flo scored penalties Vs Hearts, Rangers and Kilmarnock.

GreenCastle
23-12-2018, 11:39 AM
Flo scored penalties Vs Hearts, Rangers and Kilmarnock.

Thanks - I knew he had scored a few but couldn't remember .

So 4 out of 5 he's scored.

Will be interesting to see who takes the next penalty.

wookie70
23-12-2018, 12:14 PM
I would have thought about the penalty taker yesterday. Did anyone in the ground think Flo looked confident. Of course with Lennon ripping into him we now realise there is something going on behind the scenes. I don't think he was the right man for the job and it was fairly easy to tell. I know the macho men will say he has to man up and what a good opportunity it was for him to get back on track but he had been public called out by Parker a week or so earlier and then dropped for the game yesterday. He is young and youngster have been brought up in a different world to lots of us 40 and 50 year olds. It was a bad pen but should he have been taking it.

Famous Fiver
23-12-2018, 12:34 PM
I'm 70 odd and could have kicked it harder than Flo did yesterday.

He is a powerful man. Why didn't he put that strength into his kick?

Is there any coaching, advice or research done with the penalty takers or are they given a free hand to take it as they see fit?

In my footballing days it was always drummed into the penalty taker that first priority it should be hit really hard.

Just my thoughts.

southern hibby
23-12-2018, 12:36 PM
I’ve said for a while now, why don’t we practice penalties at the end of each friendly. Both teams could agree to this before the game as it would give players a chance to take penalties in front of a crowd rather than just during a training period.

Not sure if it would improve penalties but one thing it can’t make it any worse.

GGTTH

Keith_M
23-12-2018, 12:38 PM
Ally McLeod

He took the worst penalty I've ever seen, away to Falkirk in the 1st division.

TBF, he made up for it later by scoring the winner.

J-C
23-12-2018, 12:40 PM
Boyle hit a shocking pen against Utd ,which was also in Dec 2016 .
Maybe were just crap with penalties during December 😜

I was reminded of that one a few posts earlier :greengrin, the only other one I remember seeing him take he blootered it into the net, as I said though Jamie Vardy style penalty all day long, pick a spot and smack it into the net, if the keeper saves it'll be a great save.

Galahibby
23-12-2018, 12:41 PM
Porteous for me. Even if the keeper gets to it, he's going into the back of the net with it 😉

BILLYHIBS
23-12-2018, 12:43 PM
Hit the post once against Airdrie or Motherwell as i recall.... shockeroony. Was a Wed'y night game and at Dunbar end. He'd have been hung drawn and quartered for his misdemeanour in this day and age by some of the posters on here

Missed one against SV Hamburg when we went out on away goals when Joe McBride SNR wrongly had two goals chalked off for offside when the Hamburg goalie wore a green top :confused:

Greenbeard
23-12-2018, 12:58 PM
From the other perspective, given how many penalties get hammered down the middle, I can't fathom why more goalies don't just stand their ground instead of diving one way or the other. Any goalies out there got a view?

biscuitersed75
24-12-2018, 12:44 PM
Lewis Allan should have taken the pen. Has a decent record from his development team days, particularly in shoot-outs.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Peevemor
24-12-2018, 01:01 PM
Lewis Allan should have taken the pen. Has a decent record from his development team days, particularly in shoot-outs.

Sent from my SM-G950F using TapatalkAnd had he missed, people would have said that somebody more senior should have taken it.

biscuitersed75
24-12-2018, 01:07 PM
And had he missed, people would have said that somebody more senior should have taken it.Fair point. He'd have been slaughtered. Still think he'd have scored though, then he's a hero! Fine margins.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Sammy7nil
24-12-2018, 01:15 PM
I think players should lose a week's wages for trying these fancy penalties. I firmly believe that a penalty should be low and with loads of pace. If you do, it's then the miracle save that stops. If you try the fancy stuff then a goalie just has to guess correctly.

You saw that with the Leicester penalties in mid week. McGuire went low and firm. The goalie guessed correctly but couldn't save. The next three all took fancy walk ups and missed.

I agree no fancy Dan pens just hit the baw, no silly run up,no dinks, no giving the keeper the eyes just kick the the baw hard and low. If the keeper saves it so be it but at least there has been no gifts.

Smartie
24-12-2018, 01:18 PM
I don't remember Darren Jackson missing many.

IGRIGI
24-12-2018, 01:20 PM
I'd just send the keeper up to send a rocket into the net.

danhibees1875
24-12-2018, 01:20 PM

Stokes? But people would always say his goals stats didn't count because he scored penalties.
Kamberi usually hits good pens too apart from Saturday. His one in the 5-5 game was a rocket into the top corner.

From the other perspective, given how many penalties get hammered down the middle, I can't fathom why more goalies don't just stand their ground instead of diving one way or the other. Any goalies out there got a view?

I'd imagine it's because keepers are relatively blameless if they dive the wrong way but would look pretty silly if they just stood still and the ball was rolled past them to one side.

BILLYHIBS
24-12-2018, 04:54 PM

Shout!

Scored 14 pens in his HIBS career including two in a relegation playoff away to Airdrieonians a very important match in which he grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck

Eyrie
24-12-2018, 05:59 PM
I'd imagine it's because keepers are relatively blameless if they dive the wrong way but would look pretty silly if they just stood still and the ball was rolled past them to one side.
Which is what happened in the penalty shoot out against Dundee United when their keeper just stood there as Cummings put us into the final.

Jones28
24-12-2018, 06:06 PM
I'm sure someone on here said the Milligan has never missed a penalty?

BILLYHIBS
24-12-2018, 06:40 PM
I'm sure someone on here said the Milligan has never missed a penalty?

Yip! Someone made the comment at the match on Saturday after Flos miss

I cannae find anything online to contradict that statement

Takes t pens for Australia

TObeachesHibby
25-12-2018, 04:08 AM
I find it incredible that someone who's full time job is kicking a football can't simply pick a botton/top corner and strike it hard into one of those. There's no excuse for trying to send a keeper the wrong way, hit the ball with pace and the keeper has no chance. Anyone who doesn't have the confidence to strike a penalty as above shouldn't bother stepping up.

U try … any decent goalie , even 12-13 years, who knows the penalty takers favorite foot and run up, can guess where the ball is going. Hence the bluff.

SChibs
25-12-2018, 08:43 AM

No excuse yet it's Messi's favourite technique to send the keeper the wrong way most of the time. But he misses pens too

Haymaker
25-12-2018, 12:07 PM
I'd just send the keeper up to send a rocket into the net.

Mate of mine plays a decent standard in England and takes penalties as the keeper. :agree: it's class

3pm
25-12-2018, 12:13 PM
Hanlon when he’s back in the team. Or Cummings.

Lemonade
25-12-2018, 12:18 PM

I’m sure it was only until recently that Hibs had NEVER missed a penalty to another Scottish side.

Sorry , it was we had never lost a penalty shoot out.

danhibees1875
25-12-2018, 12:19 PM
I’m sure it was only until recently that Hibs had NEVER missed a penalty to another Scottish side.

Never lost a shootout. Think the only one we'd lost was to Leeds.

Then Hamilton broke that, closely followed by Dundee United and then Aberdeen recently.

Johnny_Leith
25-12-2018, 01:31 PM
Stokesy was only good for ****ging, winning Scottish cups and scoring penalties, apparently.

southern hibby
25-12-2018, 02:23 PM
Never lost a shootout. Think the only one we'd lost was to Leeds.

Then Hamilton broke that, closely followed by Dundee United and then Aberdeen recently.

Also lost out to Bronby.

GGTTH

danhibees1875
25-12-2018, 04:58 PM
Also lost out to Bronby.

GGTTH

Right enough - Hamilton opened the floodgates for it. :greengrin

BILLYHIBS
19-01-2019, 09:44 PM
Flos off pens :greengrin

Eyrie
19-01-2019, 10:43 PM
Poorly taken again.

Kamberi needs to get back to just powering it in.

Onceinawhile
19-01-2019, 10:44 PM
Poorly taken again.

Kamberi needs to get back to just powering it in.

Don't think it's a terrible penalty. Its a good save Imo.

Eyrie
19-01-2019, 10:53 PM
Don't think it's a terrible penalty. Its a good save Imo.

I was side on, but it looked a nice height, pace and distance inside the post for the keeper.

BILLYHIBS
17-02-2019, 07:55 AM
I noticed yesterday when we were awarded the penalty there were four HIBS players hanging around the penalty spot looking for the ball

Mallin, Kamberi(bolt!), Milligan(who allegedly has never missed a penalty at top level) and Marc McNulty who duly grabbed the ball took responsibility and dispatched the penalty with aplomb!

I felt it was obviously something the new Manager had not discussed with the players and his first lineup was very much a case of as you were and why break up a winning team giving him the opportunity to simply observe even giving young Lewis Allan a late run

Safe to say Marc McNulty is now the new official penalty taker until he f**** up that is! :greengrin

Speedy
17-02-2019, 08:03 AM
I noticed yesterday when we were awarded the penalty there were four HIBS players hanging around the penalty spot looking for the ball

Mallin, Kamberi(bolt!), Milligan(who allegedly has never missed a penalty at top level) and Marc McNulty who duly grabbed the ball took responsibility and dispatched the penalty with aplomb!

I felt it was obviously something the new Manager had not discussed with the players and his first lineup was very much a case of as you were and why break up a winning team giving him the opportunity to simply observe even giving young Lewis Allan a late run

Safe to say Marc McNulty is now the new official penalty taker until he f**** up that is! :greengrin

According to transfermarkt:

Mallan - scored 3, missed 1
Kamberi - scored 6, missed 2
Milligan - scored 14, missed 1
McNulty - scored 13, missed 5

BILLYHIBS
17-02-2019, 08:08 AM

Thanks for that!

Based on that stick with McNulty then give Milligan a go :greengrin

Hibee Mac
17-02-2019, 08:44 AM

Very interesting, Milligan then without a doubt.

bigwheel
17-02-2019, 08:45 AM

Pretty sure Kamberi had missed more than that for us ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Steven79
17-02-2019, 08:48 AM
Pretty sure Kamberi had missed more than that for us ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

From the top of my head he missed at Pittodrie last season along with Livingston & Elgin at home this season.

BoomtownHibees
17-02-2019, 08:49 AM
From the top of my head he missed at Pittodrie last season along with Livingston & Elgin at home this season.

It was Maclaren that missed at Pittodrie

Steven79
17-02-2019, 08:52 AM
It was Maclaren that missed at Pittodrie

So it was, sorry for some reason I had it in my head that it was Kamberi.

Lancs Harp
17-02-2019, 09:24 AM
Sky have just run a piece on Norwich and penalties. Apparently they have missed 6 out of 7 so far this season.

Interesting Mark M has missed 5 out of 18. Thats not a great percentage and would suggest an accident waiting to happen. Milligan would be my penalty taker, the evidence is in the figures.

RyeSloan
17-02-2019, 09:26 AM

I’m not so sure.

I thought I saw McNulty pointing to the bench at the start of the huddle in a manner that suggested he was saying ‘remember lads the boss said it was me to take them’...maybe I’m imagining that right enough!

Anyway I see it as a positive that there was so many wanting to take responsibility and that they sorted it quickly and calmly. [emoji736]

Eyrie
17-02-2019, 09:55 AM
I'm level with the edge of the area and it looked to me like Mallan and McNulty both wanted the ball with Kamberi pointing to the bench as if to say "it's already been decided". I was slightly concerned the discussion may have put McNulty off but it didn't.

BILLYHIBS
17-02-2019, 10:24 AM
I’m not so sure.

I thought I saw McNulty pointing to the bench at the start of the huddle in a manner that suggested he was saying ‘remember lads the boss said it was me to take them’...maybe I’m imagining that right enough!

Anyway I see it as a positive that there was so many wanting to take responsibility and that they sorted it quickly and calmly. [emoji736]

No worries will take your word for it as your view was undoubtedly better than mine

McNulty is the man in possession then Milligan imho

My_Wife_Camille
17-02-2019, 11:14 AM
I’m sure Flo was telling Mallan that McNulty was to take the kick rather than going for it himself