PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (Livingston 221218)

Jonnyboy
22-12-2018, 07:11 PM
With games coming thick and fast this month, coupled with the fact that a number of our players looked out on their feet after the Rangers game, Lenny decided on six changes to our starting line-up which was an understandable if risky decision. Livingston, after all, had been proving plenty of people wrong by more than holding their own in the top division, witnessed by them having the fourth best defensive record.

Into the starting eleven came Mackie, McGregor, Bogdan, Milligan, Allan and Boyle with Marciano and Mallan out due to injury; Kamberi, Horgan, Stevenson and Whittaker dropped to the bench. Hibs went with three at the back with Boyle and Mackie the wide men in midfield whilst Allan and S haw provided a very young strike force.

Things started well for the visitors and from an early corner, Gallagher blasted the ball over the bar from a good position. At the other end, Mackie set Boyle free but the wide man’s cross arrived behind both Allan and Shaw and Livi cleared by conceding a corner. The flow of play was being constantly interrupted due to Livi committing a series of niggly fouls. Next, Livi keeper Liam Kelly pulled off a fine save to deny Boyle who had been put into shooting range by a clever Hyndman pass. Kelly was busy again soon after when Shaw spun and shot for goal. Kelly couldn’t hold the shot but a defender cleared for a corner that, when delivered by Mackie, found McGregor just eight yards out but Daz got the connection wrong and the ball fizzed miles wide of the goal.

Livi were pushing forward whenever they got the chance and the lively Menga should probably have done better but he fired his shot from sixteen yards well over the bar. The visitors finished the half strongly and twice Bogdan was called upon to make saves and ensure the teams would go in level at the break.

Oli Shaw who had struggled a bit with the physicality of the Livi defenders was replaced by Kamberi and the new man soon won a corner. The ball was played to the back post where McGregor headed it back into the danger area but Porteous could only nod over from close range. Hibs then found themselves a goal down when a hopeful through ball by Gallagher flew over the head of Porteous and as Bogdan raced out to try and narrow the angle, Ryan Hardie cleverly clipped it over the keeper and into the net. In fairness, although Hibs had not been playing particularly well it could be argued that goal came against the run of play.

Now Hibs had to chase the game and a sublime Ambrose pass inside the full back saw Boyle racing into the box and as the Hibs man went to make contact with the ball he was cleaned out by Alan Lithgow who, somewhat surprisingly was not booked. Livi protested and used a few delaying tactics while Kamberi stood patiently with the ball. Finally the kick was taken but the truth is it was a terrible effort and it was no surprise when Kelly saved easily.

The Livi keeper saved again from Kamberi and the Livi No. 1 was keeping his side in the game but he was helpless when a cross from the left by Horgan saw Porteous stoop to power a header home for the equaliser. At the other end substitute Lawson fired wildly over from a good position, a real let off for Hibs who were going for the jugular now and a fantastic mazy run from Boyle saw his shot beat Kelly but slide just past the post. Two late saves from Kelly denied both Boyle and Maclaren as the game ended with honours even.

The players

Adam – Made the saves you’d expect him to make and in truth wasn’t all that busy although some around me felt he could have reacted quicker when the ball sailed over Porteous for the first goal.

Efe – the guy was absolutely outstanding again in both defending and carrying the ball forward. There’s been some talk that he might be away in January and I sincerely hope that it is only talk.

Daz – This to me was the Daz of old and I don’t think I’m exaggerating when I say he didn’t lose a header all day. One vital header though was mistimed and it was in the Livi box with the ball sailing well wide of the target.

Ryan – Once again the laddie put his body on the line in defending well and in joining the attack for set plays. He was chosen as the match sponsors man of the match and although he played well I feel there were a couple of others ahead of him in the queue when it came to selecting mine.

Boyler – Martin was unlucky with his first half effort as Kelly pulled off a fine save but I felt he disappeared for a while and only reappeared after he’d won the penalty. From that point forward he was lively and involved with that mazy run being worthy of a goal to round it off.

Slivka – A hard working and often cultured player I felt he didn’t really get in to top gear today.

Mark – This was to me a far better performance from Milligan. He patrolled that midfield area, was always available for a pass and made some telling tackles when needed.

Emerson – There is no doubt that Hyndman is a very good player but today he struggled badly with the physicality of the Livi midfield and was far too often bossed out of possession.

Sean – Earned his starting place today and didn’t really do himself any harm in his fight to keep it. His positional play was mostly good, he got forward as often as he could and he can whip in a dangerous cross at times.

Oli – Some nice touches and some intelligent runs but he is another that struggled with the physical aspect of the game and he was subbed at half time for Kamberi.

Lewis A – Whilst Oli struggled on the physical side I thought Lewis was up to the challenge but unfortunately the ball would just not run for him in danger areas. I felt he was kept on for his physical attributes when Lenny decided to change his strike force.

Flo – Fell over meekly when Gallagher challenged him just inside the Livi half and that cheap loss of possession cost us a goal as the Livi man’s forward pass was stroked home by Hardie. As for pathetic effort of a penalty kick, dear oh dear.

Daryl – I thought he should have replaced the ineffective Hyndman at half time but once he did come on he was his usual busy self and his cross for the equaliser was excellent.

Jamie – Only got the last ten minutes and the most positive aspect of his contribution was that he seemed to be moving quite freely. Might have had a chance to nick the winner but Kelly gathered at the second attempt with Jamie hovering.

My man of the match for this game is actually a joint award as I just can’t split them. Both Efe and Daz were excellent throughout.

Lenny – I’ve not heard his post-match interview and wonder if he was asked about the number of changes. If he was I’m guessing he might have said (and no disrespect here to Livi) that he was saving legs for the Rangers and Hearts games.

The ref – Greg Aitken is a poor standard of official in my view. A number of free kicks given against us for nothing challenges whilst Livi were more than physical at times and went largely unpunished. The penalty incident was a case in point – why no booking? Ironically, there were more Livi players booked than Hibs so maybe I was just wearing my infamous green tinted specs again!

The fans – The place was pretty quiet today although the folk in the FF upper tried their best.

The opposition – I don’t normally do this but I felt that three of the Livi players stood out today and that they deserved a mention; keeper Liam Kelly along with midfielders Scott Pittman and Steven Lawless.

BILLYHIBS
22-12-2018, 07:38 PM
With games coming thick and fast this month, coupled with the fact that a number of our players looked out on their feet after the Rangers game, Lenny decided on six changes to our starting line-up which was an understandable if risky decision. Livingston, after all, had been proving plenty of people wrong by more than holding their own in the top division, witnessed by them having the fourth best defensive record.

Into the starting eleven came Mackie, McGregor, Bogdan, Milligan, Allan and Boyle with Marciano and Mallan out due to injury; Kamberi, Horgan, Stevenson and Whittaker dropped to the bench. Hibs went with three at the back with Boyle and Mackie the wide men in midfield whilst Allan and S haw provided a very young strike force.

Things started well for the visitors and from an early corner, Gallagher blasted the ball over the bar from a good position. At the other end, Mackie set Boyle free but the wide man’s cross arrived behind both Allan and Shaw and Livi cleared by conceding a corner. The flow of play was being constantly interrupted due to Livi committing a series of niggly fouls. Next, Livi keeper Liam Kelly pulled off a fine save to deny Boyle who had been put into shooting range by a clever Hyndman pass. Kelly was busy again soon after when Shaw spun and shot for goal. Kelly couldn’t hold the shot but a defender cleared for a corner that, when delivered by Mackie, found McGregor just eight yards out but Daz got the connection wrong and the ball fizzed miles wide of the goal.

Livi were pushing forward whenever they got the chance and the lively Menga should probably have done better but he fired his shot from sixteen yards well over the bar. The visitors finished the half strongly and twice Bogdan was called upon to make saves and ensure the teams would go in level at the break.

Oli Shaw who had struggled a bit with the physicality of the Livi defenders was replaced by Kamberi and the new man soon won a corner. The ball was played to the back post where McGregor headed it back into the danger area but Porteous could only nod over from close range. Hibs then found themselves a goal down when a hopeful through ball by Gallagher flew over the head of Porteous and as Bogdan raced out to try and narrow the angle, Ryan Hardie cleverly clipped it over the keeper and into the net. In fairness, although Hibs had not been playing particularly well it could be argued that goal came against the run of play.

Now Hibs had to chase the game and a sublime Ambrose pass inside the full back saw Boyle racing into the box and as the Hibs man went to make contact with the ball he was cleaned out by Alan Lithgow who, somewhat surprisingly was not booked. Livi protested and used a few delaying tactics while Kamberi stood patiently with the ball. Finally the kick was taken but the truth is it was a terrible effort and it was no surprise when Kelly saved easily.

The Livi keeper saved again from Kamberi and the Livi No. 1 was keeping his side in the game but he was helpless when a cross from the left by Horgan saw Porteous stoop to power a header home for the equaliser. At the other end substitute Lawson fired wildly over from a good position, a real let off for Hibs who were going for the jugular now and a fantastic mazy run from Boyle saw his shot beat Kelly but slide just past the post. Two late saves from Kelly denied both Boyle and Maclaren as the game ended with honours even.

The players

Adam – Made the saves you’d expect him to make and in truth wasn’t all that busy although some around me felt he could have reacted quicker when the ball sailed over Porteous for the first goal.

Efe – the guy was absolutely outstanding again in both defending and carrying the ball forward. There’s been some talk that he might be away in January and I sincerely hope that it is only talk.

Daz – This to me was the Daz of old and I don’t think I’m exaggerating when I say he didn’t lose a header all day. One vital header though was mistimed and it was in the Livi box with the ball sailing well wide of the target.

Ryan – Once again the laddie put his body on the line in defending well and in joining the attack for set plays. He was chosen as the match sponsors man of the match and although he played well I feel there were a couple of others ahead of him in the queue when it came to selecting mine.

Boyler – Martin was unlucky with his first half effort as Kelly pulled off a fine save but I felt he disappeared for a while and only reappeared after he’d won the penalty. From that point forward he was lively and involved with that mazy run being worthy of a goal to round it off.

Slivka – A hard working and often cultured player I felt he didn’t really get in to top gear today.

Mark – This was to me a far better performance from Milligan. He patrolled that midfield area, was always available for a pass and made some telling tackles when needed.

Emerson – There is no doubt that Hyndman is a very good player but today he struggled badly with the physicality of the Livi midfield and was far too often bossed out of possession.

Sean – Earned his starting place today and didn’t really do himself any harm in his fight to keep it. His positional play was mostly good, he got forward as often as he could and he can whip in a dangerous cross at times.

Oli – Some nice touches and some intelligent runs but he is another that struggled with the physical aspect of the game and he was subbed at half time for Kamberi.

Lewis A – Whilst Oli struggled on the physical side I thought Lewis was up to the challenge but unfortunately the ball would just not run for him in danger areas. I felt he was kept on for his physical attributes when Lenny decided to change his strike force.

Flo – Fell over meekly when Gallagher challenged him just inside the Livi half and that cheap loss of possession cost us a goal as the Livi man’s forward pass was stroked home by Hardie. As for pathetic effort of a penalty kick, dear oh dear.

Daryl – I thought he should have replaced the ineffective Hyndman at half time but once he did come on he was his usual busy self and his cross for the equaliser was excellent.

Jamie – Only got the last ten minutes and the most positive aspect of his contribution was that he seemed to be moving quite freely. Might have had a chance to nick the winner but Kelly gathered at the second attempt with Jamie hovering.

My man of the match for this game is actually a joint award as I just can’t split them. Both Efe and Daz were excellent throughout.

Lenny – I’ve not heard his post-match interview and wonder if he was asked about the number of changes. If he was I’m guessing he might have said (and no disrespect here to Livi) that he was saving legs for the Rangers and Hearts games.

The ref – Greg Aitken is a poor standard of official in my view. A number of free kicks given against us for nothing challenges whilst Livi were more than physical at times and went largely unpunished. The penalty incident was a case in point – why no booking? Ironically, there were more Livi players booked than Hibs so maybe I was just wearing my infamous green tinted specs again!

The fans – The place was pretty quiet today although the folk in the FF upper tried their best.

The opposition – I don’t normally do this but I felt that three of the Livi players stood out today and that they deserved a mention; keeper Liam Kelly along with midfielders Scott Pittman and Steven Lawless.

Great review Jonnyboy as always but have to say I am worried about young Porteous he does not know when he is injured kept plugging away and got us back into the match with a brave goal even although it was obvious to everyone in the ground that his knee was dislocating from under him

I would not be surprised if the vultures are already circling

A tremendous raw talent the sky is the limit for this young man

AZhibee
22-12-2018, 10:42 PM
Thanks Jonnyboy, always appreciate the write-up.

cannastar
22-12-2018, 11:58 PM
cheers jonnyboy good report as always.only thing for me was I did think Porteous was man of the match and what typifies or seperates him is exactly how he scored his goal.he went in where the boots were flying and didn't shout to be taken off when his knee was poppng out.i wish we had eleven players with the make up of him. colossus.:flag:

NAE NOOKIE
23-12-2018, 12:24 AM
It wasn't as terrible a performance by Hibs as some folk seem to be saying elsewhere. I think we tried pretty hard to win the game with a makeshift team and ongoing injury problems and a ridiculous fixture schedule are taking their toll IMO …. what nutcase decided to rearrange the Sevco game for December? I cant believe Hibs didn't kick up an utter stink about that the moment it was announced.

Bogdan …. 7 ….. Left exposed at the goal and I cant remember him doing anything wrong.

Ambrose …. 8.5 …. Defended well and I was exhausted watching him rampaging up and down the right … I though it was a great performance from him.

McGregor …. 7 …. Won practically every challenge he was involved in.

Porteous …. 8 …. I didn't think I would ever see another Hibs player who can match the guts and determination of Lewis Stevenson, but Ryan is right up there, he was solid at the back and probably our biggest goal threat … unfortunately.

Milligan …. 6 …. Worked hard and put in a reasonable shift.

Hyndman …. 6 …. I thought he played ok and played some nice stuff, but the guy needs to bulk up because he cant compete physically.

Slivka … 6 …. Reasonably neat and tidy, but just doesn't impose himself on games the way he maybe should.

MacKie …. 6 …. Tried to influence the game and played a couple of nice passes, did fine for a guy making his first start.

Boyle … 6 …. He played well in fits and starts, winning us the penalty and nearly scoring what would have been a contender for goal of the season … but I'm deducting him two points from what would have been 8 for his too many awful attempts at getting the ball into the box.

Shaw …. 5 …. I didn't see very much from him and wasn't that surprised to see him hooked

Allan … 5 …. Pretty well the same as Shaw, he worked hard but to little effect,

SUBS:

Kamberi …. 4 …. His hold up play was often poor, he allowed himself to be dispossessed far too easily which lead to Livvi's goal and I could have saved his powder puff penalty.

Horgan …. 6 …. His introduction coincided with our best period of the game and he did well at the free kick which lead to him crossing for the equalizer .. you could see his frustration when the opportunity presented itself to repeat the trick and the other Hibs players just stood looking at him, though even I could see its what he wanted to do.

MacLaren … 4 …. Wasn't on for very long, got one shot away from the edge of the box, but in all honesty it made Kamberi's penalty look like a rocket.

The ref …. Shocking, giving foul after foul against Hibs for nothing challenges, failing to book the Livvi player at the penalty and not even speaking to Livvi players for standing in front of the ball stopping us from taking quick free kicks …. I just couldn't believe it when the Livvi keeper who was about to take a bye kick stopped and picked up his water bottle but wasn't even booked for probably the most ridiculous attempt at time wasting I have ever seen at a game.

BILLYHIBS
23-12-2018, 04:04 AM
It wasn't as terrible a performance by Hibs as some folk seem to be saying elsewhere. I think we tried pretty hard to win the game with a makeshift team and ongoing injury problems and a ridiculous fixture schedule are taking their toll IMO …. what nutcase decided to rearrange the Sevco game for December? I cant believe Hibs didn't kick up an utter stink about that the moment it was announced.

Bogdan …. 7 ….. Left exposed at the goal and I cant remember him doing anything wrong.

Ambrose …. 8.5 …. Defended well and I was exhausted watching him rampaging up and down the right … I though it was a great performance from him.

McGregor …. 7 …. Won practically every challenge he was involved in.

Porteous …. 8 …. I didn't think I would ever see another Hibs player who can match the guts and determination of Lewis Stevenson, but Ryan is right up there, he was solid at the back and probably our biggest goal threat … unfortunately.

Milligan …. 6 …. Worked hard and put in a reasonable shift.

Hyndman …. 6 …. I thought he played ok and played some nice stuff, but the guy needs to bulk up because he cant compete physically.

Slivka … 6 …. Reasonably neat and tidy, but just doesn't impose himself on games the way he maybe should.

MacKie …. 6 …. Tried to influence the game and played a couple of nice passes, did fine for a guy making his first start.

Boyle … 6 …. He played well in fits and starts, winning us the penalty and nearly scoring what would have been a contender for goal of the season … but I'm deducting him two points from what would have been 8 for his too many awful attempts at getting the ball into the box.

Shaw …. 5 …. I didn't see very much from him and wasn't that surprised to see him hooked

Allan … 5 …. Pretty well the same as Shaw, he worked hard but to little effect,

SUBS:

Kamberi …. 4 …. His hold up play was often poor, he allowed himself to be dispossessed far too easily which lead to Livvi's goal and I could have saved his powder puff penalty.

Horgan …. 6 …. His introduction coincided with our best period of the game and he did well at the free kick which lead to him crossing for the equalizer .. you could see his frustration when the opportunity presented itself to repeat the trick and the other Hibs players just stood looking at him, though even I could see its what he wanted to do.

MacLaren … 4 …. Wasn't on for very long, got one shot away from the edge of the box, but in all honesty it made Kamberi's penalty look like a rocket.

The ref …. Shocking, giving foul after foul against Hibs for nothing challenges, failing to book the Livvi player at the penalty and not even speaking to Livvi players for standing in front of the ball stopping us from taking quick free kicks …. I just couldn't believe it when the Livvi keeper who was about to take a bye kick stopped and picked up his water bottle but wasn't even booked for probably the most ridiculous attempt at time wasting I have ever seen at a game.

:hijack:

Baldy Foghorn
23-12-2018, 07:52 AM
For all the stick Lewis receives, I felt we missed his drive down the left Today.

hibee_girl
23-12-2018, 08:34 AM
For all the stick Lewis receives, I felt we missed his drive down the left Today.

:agree:

Jonnyboy
23-12-2018, 12:26 PM

Agreed. I like Mackie as a player and would be tempted to play him on the left in front of Lewis

pacoluna
23-12-2018, 01:43 PM
How long are we just going to keep calling Boyle unlucky in front of goal? Wastes far to many opportunities!

wookie70
23-12-2018, 01:54 PM
How long are we just going to keep calling Boyle unlucky in front of goal? Wastes far to many opportunities!

He is unlucky with his crosses too. For all the Keeper saved his first half effort it was a fairly routine save. He had quite a few opportunities to put a good ball into the box but he chose to play it behind strikers or straight to the first defender. He is also not doing the shift that he previously did and seems far more interested when he has the ball than when he doesn't.

jacomo
23-12-2018, 02:29 PM
I assume Lewis Stevenson was rested?

Surely Neil wouldn’t drop him for tactical reasons anymore?

NAE NOOKIE
23-12-2018, 02:29 PM
:hijack:

I used to post on any thread entitled 'player ratings' or if there wasn't one start one myself. But Jonnyboy always starts his threads with a player by player assessment, so it seemed to me logical just to post my own opinion on how the players rated IMO on that thread. Not sure how that constitutes hijacking it.

BILLYHIBS
23-12-2018, 03:25 PM
I used to post on any thread entitled 'player ratings' or if there wasn't one start one myself. But Jonnyboy always starts his threads with a player by player assessment, so it seemed to me logical just to post my own opinion on how the players rated IMO on that thread. Not sure how that constitutes hijacking it.

Jonnyboy always produces a fair and concise impartial match report through thick and thin through illness and in health which many posters myself included and especially those posters who for one reason or another cannot actually attend matches and very much look forward to and enjoy reading

Jonny starts off by giving an as accurate as possible match report by recreating the atmosphere of the game and by covering all the key incidents for the reader and by highlighting any incidents that may have been missed or may not have been immediately apparent to any spectator at the time

He then goes on to give a player by player rating giving a wee summary of each players individual performance that day

My original comment was intended to be tongue in cheek and I apologise for any upset this may have caused you

My initial thought being that more or less your thoughts on each player were more or less the same as Jonny’s making it exhausting for the reader to go through two sets of player assessments as the layouts were exactly the same hence my “hijack” comment

I did agree with your comments especially with regard to the referee and of course you are entitled to give your opinion on each player

Most posters will normally pick up Jonny on any points they did or did not agree with on an individual basis

On a personal level I felt that the team performance was not great and was greatly affected by the initial team selection

Once again no harm intended apologies for any upset caused what I think I am really trying to say is Jonnyboy is da man!

Merry Christmas and a Hibby New Year

Billyhibs

:santa

Pedantic_Hibee
23-12-2018, 04:03 PM
BillyHibs has ruined NAENOOKIE’s Christmas, pass it on.

Pedantic_Hibee
23-12-2018, 04:04 PM
I wasn’t at the game so can’t comment on any ratings. However, the games I am at or the games I watch on the telly, I obviously see the game through the same eyes as Jonnyboy which saves me a lot of typing. Plus, he’s respected and I’m, well I’m a bit of a dick really.

The 90+2
23-12-2018, 04:05 PM

What stick?

BILLYHIBS
23-12-2018, 04:10 PM
BillyHibs has ruined NAENOOKIE’s Christmas, pass it on.

:faf:

Baldy Foghorn
23-12-2018, 04:15 PM
What stick?

Are your eyes and ears painted on?

Allant1981
23-12-2018, 04:45 PM

A few years ago I would have agreed, certainly not now

hibee_girl
23-12-2018, 04:56 PM
You only need to come on here when we’ve been beat to see the stick Stevenson gets.

Even at the games there’s always some that will get on his back as soon as he doesn’t put the perfect cross in.

The 90+2
23-12-2018, 04:57 PM

Do you have to be so aggressive? I’ve not read much stick on Lewis on here ever. What contrives to “after all the stick he gets”?

The 90+2
23-12-2018, 04:58 PM
You only need to come on here when we’ve been beat to see the stick Stevenson gets.

Even at the games there’s always some that will get on his back as soon as he doesn’t put the perfect cross in.

He gets the least amount of stick bar Ambrose after any defeat.

Baldy Foghorn
23-12-2018, 05:15 PM
Do you have to be so aggressive? I’ve not read much stick on Lewis on here ever. What contrives to “after all the stick he gets”?

Wasn't being agressive, it was a genuine question. Lewis has had detractors for as long as he's been at the Club. The usual comments about not being good enough, can't cross, we need better etc. It is a common occurence which is why I asked the question

23-12-2018, 07:12 PM
I

The players

I don’t get the opportunity to attend too many games but I was there yesterday. So I normally look forward to reading Jonnyboy’s report, which once again this week is excellent. To say I was disappointed in yesterday’s result is putting it mildly. Livi play a hoof ball - let’s get it into their penalty area as quick as possible and we can start playing from there style of football, which Hibs should be able to cope with but struggled with.
From my point of view yesterday
I was looking forward to seeing Kamberi paired with Mclaren up front but presumably with the games already played this month and the ones still to be played the manager had other ideas.
It seems to me that whoever is/has been played up front this season all suffer from the lack of service they received in the second half of last season from the McGeoch, McGinn, Allan midfield. Whichever combination of players that has been tried this season in midfield don’t come close to providing the front players with the same level of service. This can be seen clearly in Kamberi’s relatively poor performance this year. You could see his frustration yesterday and he has stopped making the runs off the ball he made last year because he knows there is no one behind him going to play the ball into him. I am not in any way condoning his attitude because in my opinion he single handedly lost us the game yesterday by falling down, trying to claim a foul when he lost possession to their central defender, who punted the ball forward and five seconds later we were a goal down. If you add that to his pathetic attempt to take a penalty you will see how critical both were to us dropping two points.
The January transfer window is now critical for the club. We need greater drive and creativity from midfield and a proven goal scorer. Various names have been mentioned in other threads, as to who would best strengthen the team in various positions and I am not going to go down that route. I think we have the right man managing the team and if he is given the right level of support by the board of the club he is more than capable of wheeling and dealing to resolve the current problems.
Upwards and onwards Hibs.
Keep up the good work Jonnyboy.