PDA

View Full Version : Porteous injury

Unseen work
22-12-2018, 07:07 PM
Got to say I’m embarrassed as a club we allowed him to play in when his knee was clearly giving way so frequently

He will never say he wants to come off, you need to look after the player in the long run.

He could have done serious damage to his knee or something else by playing on.

Scoring the goal papers over poor decision making from Lennon/physios from me

hibee1875
22-12-2018, 07:10 PM
Agree. Especially when we had another 3 defenders on the bench that could have slotted in in one way or the other.

WhileTheChief..
22-12-2018, 07:12 PM
I was in hospitality and Ryan came in to talk after the game.

He was asked about the injury and he said that his knee kept popping out of place and he had to pop it back in.

He wasn’t phased or hampered by it at all.

It’s never happened before he said so there was no reason not to play him or to take him off.

Also said the game has gone soft if his challenge during the week was a red!!

wookie70
22-12-2018, 07:12 PM
I said that to my mate who quickly and accurately replied we kept him on and he scored. I thought he should have been taken off and if his knee was popping out surely he should have been taken off but that is best left to the player and medical staff. Hope he is ok and his courage and desire hasn't meant a more serious injury. Apart from his defending he is probably our biggest goal threat at the moment.

Unseen work
22-12-2018, 07:16 PM

He was asked about the injury and he said that his knee kept popping out of place and he had to pop it back in.

It’s never happened before he said so there was no reason not to play him or to take him off.

The fact it’s never haooened before but then happened about 8 times in one game makes it even more concerning imo.

we are hibs
22-12-2018, 07:18 PM
I find it astonishing we have let a player continue if his knee has popped out.

WhileTheChief..
22-12-2018, 07:18 PM
The physio wasn’t concerned, nor the manager , nor the player himself.

Why you bothered by it when it didn’t affect the game at all?

Unseen work
22-12-2018, 07:21 PM
They strapped the knee up and Porteous went down and looked physically sick just about any time he made a tackle or turned direction at pace.

To say no one was concerned is just untrue.

We will see how it works out, but if his knee was popping out of place he will need a recovery period.

WhileTheChief..
22-12-2018, 07:30 PM
And yet he was absolutely fine 20 mins after the final whistle.

andybev1
22-12-2018, 07:34 PM
Surely if someones knee pops out - which is a dislocated knee, you would not be able to walk, never mind play

greenlex
22-12-2018, 08:41 PM
Should have been subbed at half time. Risking wrecking the laddies career. He needs managed better. There was plenty defensive options.

HappyAsHellas
22-12-2018, 09:01 PM
Remember this happening to a guy playing in the Sunday leagues at the Jack Kane - their manager guy came on the park and popped his knee back in and the guy played on ok. Never heard of it on a professional level though.

Boyle89
22-12-2018, 09:02 PM
My knee has popped out before. If ryan did his like mine its not that bad. Just straighten the leg and it goes back. Only he will know how badly it went so he is the best judge to say if he should've stayed on. Having said that when i saw him go down i feared the worst and wanted him off asap to protect him.

Hibee Mac
22-12-2018, 09:05 PM
He's a Muppet for playing on if his knee popped out. He could have just done some real damage better hope he's alright

hibee_girl
22-12-2018, 09:13 PM
He said in hospitality that it popped out three times, that it was sore initially but when it was put back in it was fine. He said the third time it happened it wouldn’t pop back in easily so he said he’d maybe have to come off but we’d already used our three subs.

He was moving about quite freely and seemed in a great mood so I doubt there’s too much to worry about tbh

Danderhall Hibs
22-12-2018, 09:45 PM
He said in hospitality that it popped out three times, that it was sore initially but when it was put back in it was fine. He said the third time it happened it wouldn’t pop back in easily so he said he’d maybe have to come off but we’d already used our three subs.

He was moving about quite freely and seemed in a great mood so I doubt there’s too much to worry about tbh

Wow, that’s mental. The last time he was down he looked in agony then next thing he sprinted over to the touch line.

Surely can’t be a dislocation?

Hi Heid Yin
22-12-2018, 11:16 PM

Ryan Porteous already deserves the accolade: "He's a man's man!"

He must have been reincarnated, as he comes across and plays like a no-nonsense centre-half from the days

when a football weighed as heavy as a cannonball and players all but broke their necks headin' the damn thing

The now common derogatory term " snow-flake" certainly can't be levelled at our Ryan.

superfurryhibby
22-12-2018, 11:34 PM
Don't think it's a recent injury, hence why he's been rested earlier in the season.

cannastar
22-12-2018, 11:48 PM
hope its not career defining injury.everything I want to see in a player wearing a hibs shirt.id be tempted to stick him up front as a striker as he knows here the goal is and is not afraid to put himself in where it gets hurt.best player iv seen come through the academy for ages.

hibsdaft
23-12-2018, 12:20 AM
I don't understand what I'm reading. We've got a derby in a week's time. On top of that this player is our biggest long term prospect in years. Mental.

cannastar
23-12-2018, 12:47 AM
man of the match again today even with his knee popping out three times.reminds me of andy gray when he played and apologies as I know he was a hun but its the bust a gut for your team bravery thing:flag:

NAE NOOKIE
23-12-2018, 01:07 AM
This just seems bizarre to me. A player goes down with no physical contact obviously in pain and then goes on to do the same thing twice more and that isn't cause for concern?

Porteous is clearly the sort of guy you would have to drag off the park and I love that about him, but I have to say I'm amazed Hibs let him play on … I'm no doctor but surely folks knees don't just 'pop out' there must be an underlying cause and if there is any danger of this affecting him in the future it would be negligent of Hibs to risk him in any way …. A) for the sake of what could be a very good career and …. B) to protect what could be a hugely valuable asset a few years down the line.

MacGruber
23-12-2018, 09:21 AM
That was madness. I couldn't care that he scored and was man of the match - he should have been taken off and protected from himself. When he was down at the end you could see the close up on tv of his body jolt as the knee got popped back in. The management team and physio put his health at risk yesterday and should be ashamed of themselves. I doubt we've seen the last of this epidode and it wouldn't surprise if he is now either going to be out for a protracted period or left in a crumpled heap 10 mins into the game on boxing day.
Porteous himself is a warrior and I love his bravery but like it was said on Hibs tv commentary, he needed protection from himself and the decision made for him.

The Kamberi comments are also a disgrace

Eyrie
23-12-2018, 10:38 AM
Ryan Porteous already deserves the accolade: "He's a man's man!"

He must have been reincarnated, as he comes across and plays like a no-nonsense centre-half from the days

when a football weighed as heavy as a cannonball and players all but broke their necks headin' the damn thing

The now common derogatory term " snow-flake" certainly can't be levelled at our Ryan.

I'd describe Porteous as being an avalanche.

rotherhamrob
23-12-2018, 10:58 AM
That was madness. I couldn't care that he scored and was man of the match - he should have been taken off and protected from himself. When he was down at the end you could see the close up on tv of his body jolt as the knee got popped back in. The management team and physio put his health at risk yesterday and should be ashamed of themselves. I doubt we've seen the last of this epidode and it wouldn't surprise if he is now either going to be out for a protracted period or left in a crumpled heap 10 mins into the game on boxing day.
Porteous himself is a warrior and I love his bravery but like it was said on Hibs tv commentary, he needed protection from himself and the decision made for him.

The Kamberi comments are also a disgrace

100%.
I said the same thing to my son, Tbh I thought it was terrible management, we could quite easily have taken him off and brought gray on and gone to a back 4.
He's a young player with massive potential, why risk his career for half a game, it's obvious that he's the type to play through it but it shouldn't be his choice to carry on.

One Day
23-12-2018, 11:02 AM
I find it astonishing we have let a player continue if his knee has popped out.

Yes it sounds horrible

JimBHibees
23-12-2018, 11:14 AM
This just seems bizarre to me. A player goes down with no physical contact obviously in pain and then goes on to do the same thing twice more and that isn't cause for concern?

Porteous is clearly the sort of guy you would have to drag off the park and I love that about him, but I have to say I'm amazed Hibs let him play on … I'm no doctor but surely folks knees don't just 'pop out' there must be an underlying cause and if there is any danger of this affecting him in the future it would be negligent of Hibs to risk him in any way …. A) for the sake of what could be a very good career and …. B) to protect what could be a hugely valuable asset a few years down the line.

Agree the fact this seemed to be the first time it has happened in a game is a little worrying in that it then happened 2 or 3 times after which suggests whatever it is appears to be worsening. Would have thought he could have been taken off and then either Gray or Whitty could have played right back in a 4.

hibee_girl
23-12-2018, 11:40 AM
Ally McCoist put Porteous in his team of the season so far on BT Soort

TheReg!
23-12-2018, 12:28 PM
Got to say I’m embarrassed as a club we allowed him to play in when his knee was clearly giving way so frequently

He will never say he wants to come off, you need to look after the player in the long run.

I’ve had my knee give way a few times like that, it usually takes a few weeks to get back to any sense of normality, you’d think that the pitch side physio would have been all over NL to get him off? Poor management all round imho.

Lago
23-12-2018, 01:42 PM
I'd describe Porteous as being an avalanche.

A unit, a big unit.:greengrin

broondog
23-12-2018, 06:00 PM
Agree with most on here that it’s madness he wasn’t taken off as a precaution. He’s one of the most promising defenders in the country and we should be protecting his longtern future Yet more evidence of Lennons incompetence and lack of understanding when man managing players.soner he goes the better.

Criswell
23-12-2018, 11:34 PM
Anatomy is not my strongest subject and I have no idea what is meant by a knee "popping out". I have never heard of that. For it to happen numerous times in one match is very concerning. Porteous could turn out to be great asset to the Club so due care and attention must be applied to ensure his continuing fitness.

Hibbyradge
23-12-2018, 11:37 PM
I don't believe there's the slightest possibility that Hibs would force, or even allow, a seriously injured player to continue.

Smartie
24-12-2018, 12:24 AM
I don't believe there's the slightest possibility that Hibs would force, or even allow, a seriously injured player to continue.

:agree:

The knee is not a part of the body I would claim to know a great deal about, but I'd imagine if this was anything like a serious injury then Hibs would have taken him off immediately?

Apart from anything else, he's probably our most valuable asset right now. I can't see us being reckless with such an asset.

Not every knee injury is a potentially career ending ligament injury.

SChibs
24-12-2018, 06:57 AM

Exactly. The medical staff at hibs know a lot more about this sort of stuff than the vast majority of posters on here do so I trust their judgement.

Ringothedog
24-12-2018, 07:11 AM
Exactly. The medical staff at hibs know a lot more about this sort of stuff than the vast majority of posters on here do so I trust their judgement.

From the comments on here I wouldn’t be too sure about that.

Jumbo
24-12-2018, 09:51 AM
From the comments on here I wouldn’t be too sure about that.

There’s experts on everything here, I’m sure if there was pictures of Ryan opening his Christmas presents someone would be along to say he’s doing it wrong and as for Whitty 😴

Sioux
24-12-2018, 10:01 AM
There’s experts on everything here, I’m sure if there was pictures of Ryan opening his Christmas presents someone would be along to say he’s doing it wrong and as for Whitty 😴

So true
:aok:

bigwheel
24-12-2018, 10:05 AM
There’s experts on everything here, I’m sure if there was pictures of Ryan opening his Christmas presents someone would be along to say he’s doing it wrong and as for Whitty [emoji42]

I’d be really disappointed if he doesn’t open them by slide tackling them from 10 yards away ....[emoji6]

BILLYHIBS
24-12-2018, 10:12 AM

Dunno about that?

Porto looked as though he should have come off when his knee gave way from under him in his own eighteen yard box early in the second half but fair play to him he was prepared to put his body on the line for the cause and scored the goal that got us back into the game.

He collapsed later on in their box and was not prepared to come off as by then we had used all our subs

The boy does not know when he is injured

Kamberi looks as though he is badly in need of an op

I remember the late great Alan Gordon shuffling about Easter Road hardly able to walk after years of prematch cortisone injections

Professional football clubs tend to try and make sure their best players are out on the pitch at all costs

I might be wrong and things may have changed over the years with medical advancements and football clubs may have changed their attitude with regard to ensuring their star players are fit and ready for big games

We also seem to be experiencing a higher than expected number of players being sidelined by niggling strain injuries?

SChibs
24-12-2018, 02:05 PM
Dunno about that?

Porto looked as though he should have come off when his knee gave way from under him in his own eighteen yard box early in the second half but fair play to him he was prepared to put his body on the line for the cause and scored the goal that got us back into the game.

He collapsed later on in their box and was not prepared to come off as by then we had used all our subs

The boy does not know when he is injured

Kamberi looks as though he is badly in need of an op

I remember the late great Alan Gordon shuffling about Easter Road hardly able to walk after years of prematch cortisone injections

Professional football clubs tend to try and make sure their best players are out on the pitch at all costs

I might be wrong and things may have changed over the years with medical advancements and football clubs may have changed their attitude with regard to ensuring their star players are fit and ready for big games

We also seem to be experiencing a higher than expected number of players being sidelined by niggling strain injuries?

To be honest it's a strange one. Near the end he could hardly walk then he was suddenly sprinting to the dugout to get back on the pitch quicker. He obviously went from being in a lot of pain yo pretty much nothing by the looks of it. There wasn't even a slight limp as he ran back.

500miles
24-12-2018, 02:36 PM
To be honest it's a strange one. Near the end he could hardly walk then he was suddenly sprinting to the dugout to get back on the pitch quicker. He obviously went from being in a lot of pain yo pretty much nothing by the looks of it. There wasn't even a slight limp as he ran back.

A slipping knee cap is a really odd injury. Agony when it slips, absolutely nothing after it's put back in place. Can be sometimes be sorted with physio, sometimes it needs surgery. The busy fixture list could be fatiguing the small support muscles, causing the slip, in which case the docs may not be all that worried, and Ryan will just continue with his various leg extension exercises.

Not a doctor obviously, just based on what I've read dealing with my own shambolic injury list!

pacoluna
24-12-2018, 06:36 PM

Lennon's fault.

Famous Fiver
24-12-2018, 07:19 PM
I almost feel sorry for the presents under Ryan's tree.

The thought of him slide tackling them from 10 feet away is bringing tears to my eyes.......

BILLYHIBS
24-12-2018, 07:34 PM
I remember when I played about thirty years ago the attitude was always “run it oaf!”

You were expected to carry on playing unless your foot was hanging from your leg by a thread of skin

Scotty Brown played at Ibrox in the Ivan Sproule game with a broken leg and was outstanding

Unseen work
26-12-2018, 02:17 PM
Well.....not in the squad at all today.

1van Sprou7e
26-12-2018, 02:27 PM
I remember when I played about thirty years ago the attitude was always “run it oaf!”

You were expected to carry on playing unless your foot was hanging from your leg by a thread of skin

Scotty Brown played at Ibrox in the Ivan Sproule game with a broken leg and was outstanding

Is that true about scott brown? How is it possible to run that fast with a broken leg?

BroxburnHibee
26-12-2018, 02:27 PM
Well.....not in the squad at all today.

Maybe a blessing in disguise. He'd have been a stick on for a red today.

TiaMaria
26-12-2018, 02:36 PM
Is that true about scott brown? How is it possible to run that fast with a broken leg?

graphics|Help
Football

Football

My Club

Hibernian
Squad Selector
Results
Fixtures
Table
Club Stats
---------------
Five Live>>
---------------
Daily E-mail
Mobiles
Fun and Games
Question of Sport
CHOOSE A SPORT

Go
RELATED BBC SITES
NEWS
WEATHER
Sport feedsSport feeds |

Last Updated: Friday, 10 February 2006, 15:23 GMT

E-mail this to a friend Printable version
Hibs' Brown suffers a leg break
Hibernian midfielder Scott Brown
Scott Brown has been hindered by injury
Hibernian midfielder Scott Brown has broken his leg, but the Edinburgh club expect him to be out of action for only six weeks.
The 20-year-old was injured in last weekend's 3-0 Scottish Cup win over Rangers at Ibrox.

Brown's progress has been hampered by injury in recent seasons.

He was missing for four months with ligament damage suffered in October 2004 and was out for two months from last September after an ankle injury.

E-mail this to a friend Printable version

MWHIBBIES
26-12-2018, 02:47 PM

Wasn't the Sproule game. No way he was running like that with a broken leg. Was the cup tie.

gillythehibby
26-12-2018, 02:48 PM

Agreed. Thought that myself at the time.

MWHIBBIES
26-12-2018, 02:52 PM
Do people think our doctors and physios win a cereal packet competition to get to the job for the day? I'll trust them to know what's best for Ryan.

blackpoolhibs
26-12-2018, 02:54 PM
Do people think our doctors and physios win a cereal packet competition to get to the job for the day? I'll trust them to know what's best for Ryan.

I know, the way some folk are going on, you'd think we had a physio who had no qualifications at all? :greengrin

smack
26-12-2018, 08:31 PM
I’d be really disappointed if he doesn’t open them by slide tackling them from 10 yards away ....[emoji6]

Quality [emoji23]

The Baldmans Comb
26-12-2018, 09:13 PM
No chance of Ryan being back for the Hearts game either according to Lennon's post match Mordor interview.

Knees popping out of sockets and no one thought it might be sensible to save the player from his own enthusiasm doesn't on the face of it look like very responsible medical care from Hibs.

Speedy
27-12-2018, 01:20 PM
I know, the way some folk are going on, you'd think we had a physio who had no qualifications at all? :greengrin

I'm sure they're well qualified but that doesn't mean they make perfect decisions all day every day.

wookie70
27-12-2018, 01:20 PM
Is there any news on Ryan's injury. When it buckled under him in the second half in front of the west it looked madness to continue. Hopefully he told the physio what was happening as on the face of it he was making a bad situation worse by playing on. I can't imagine a physio would allow a player to play on when a knee was popping out and surely the management team would have subbed him if they knew.

blackpoolhibs
27-12-2018, 01:21 PM
I'm sure they're well qualified but that doesn't mean they make perfect decisions all day every day.

I'm willing to state here on record, they will make a much better informed decision based on the evidence they have than you.

Speedy
27-12-2018, 01:52 PM
I'm willing to state here on record, they will make a much better informed decision based on the evidence they have than you.

:rolleyes:

This is a discussion board, for discussion.

wookie70
27-12-2018, 02:06 PM

That for me is the important point. I hope Ryan was letting them know exactly what was happening. I would think it is fairly safe to assume that a knee popping out for the first time in a player's career would be a cause for concern and discretion would be the better part of valor. He is likely to be our most valuable asset on the field and in terms of bank balance in the year to come so it would be madness to taker any big chances with him.

Iggy Pope
27-12-2018, 02:32 PM
:rolleyes:

This is a discussion board, for discussion.

Better though for discussing the merit, or lack of it, of our chosen teams ability to kick a ball about better than the other lot do it.

There are other media for folks to offer their prowess in the field of physiology. Or, as we also had recently across several excruciating threads, psychoanalysis.

MacGruber
27-12-2018, 02:40 PM

They made the wrong decision. Knee popped out there son, off you come. That's it. Having him play on was ridiculous. Wonder how long exactly he will be out now - time will tell.
Not having any of this physio knows best. Off as a precaution at the very least. For the sake of 30 mins of a league game v Livi with defenders on the bench. Madness for me sorry

Peevemor
27-12-2018, 05:00 PM
They made the wrong decision. Knee popped out there son, off you come. That's it. Having him play on was ridiculous. Wonder how long exactly he will be out now - time will tell.
Not having any of this physio knows best. Off as a precaution at the very least. For the sake of 30 mins of a league game v Livi with defenders on the bench. Madness for me sorryWhat if it's happened before, in training for example?

BILLYHIBS
27-12-2018, 05:14 PM

You should know Ivan you were playing

Scotty Brown was out for six weeks with a broken leg

The link is on BBC Sport

The Oracle has spoken! 😁

BILLYHIBS
27-12-2018, 05:17 PM
Wasn't the Sproule game. No way he was running like that with a broken leg. Was the cup tie.
Was out for six weeks with a broken leg link on BBC Sport

matty_f
27-12-2018, 05:20 PM
Not having any of this physio knows best. Off as a precaution at the very least. For the sake of 30 mins of a league game v Livi with defenders on the bench. Madness for me sorry

There's no way that Hibs would risk a player's long term fitness.

100% the physio would be best placed to assess the injury and advise the manager.

Centre Hawf
27-12-2018, 05:37 PM
I'm sorry but I'm not having this "physio knows best" he should have been dragged off as a precaution.

MacGruber
27-12-2018, 05:43 PM
I'm sorry but I'm not having this "physio knows best" he should have been dragged off as a precaution.

Absolutely.
It's done now though. Just hope he isn't on the sidelines for long. Hopefully winter break helps

Hibee Mac
27-12-2018, 05:48 PM
If the physio knew best then he wouldn't be out injured just now would he?

The whole stadium could see the boy should have been off the pitch yet the physio knows best for not taking him off, aye okay.

B.H.F.C
27-12-2018, 05:54 PM
If the physio knew best then he wouldn't be out injured just now would he?

The whole stadium could see the boy should have been off the pitch yet the physio knows best for not taking him off, aye okay.

How do you know playing on made the injury any worse?

I’ll tell you who would have known even better than the physio though. Porteous himself. If it was that bad then he should have said so himself.

Centre Hawf
27-12-2018, 06:03 PM

I’ll tell you who would have known even better than the physio though. Porteous himself. If it was that bad then he should have said so himself.

Knowing Porteous you would have had to drag him off the park, as someones already mentioned Scott Brown wanted to play with a broken leg and I would say Ryan is the similar type of player to try playing through pain barriers. So sometimes these decisions need to be made for the player rather than by the player. He's a 19 year old laddie who would be eager to impress his boss to keep his newly found place in the starting 11.

These injuries can sometimes not feel that bad at the time either, how many players do you see walking off the park looking fairly okay when they've done their ACL but will likely miss a year of football?

If Porteous had injured himself and opened his body up to any sort of injury that one wrong twist or one clatter from an opposition player could further damage then there is absolutely no question that he should have been taken off the park especially considering the options we had on the bench and the games we had coming up.

Maybe he would have missed the games anyway, but we would have minimised the risk of losing him for a season vs potentially getting him back for the league restarting at the end of January.

superfurryhibby
27-12-2018, 06:04 PM

No one knows, but I would assume Hibs management take advice on injury issues from the various professionals arund the club.

On the face of it, it seems very strange that Porteous stayed on. We also know this injury has troubled him for months. Personally, I’ll give credit to the club on this one and say they know what is best, but I suppose the obvious won’t stop people making huge leaps with their speculation.

Either way, hears hoping he makes a swift recovery. The laddie has is top class and the team needs him.

Iggy Pope
27-12-2018, 06:57 PM
You should know Ivan you were playing

Scotty Brown was out for six weeks with a broken leg

The link is on BBC Sport

The Oracle has spoken! 😁

You’re getting mixed up ‘Oracle’.
The ‘Sproule’ game MW refers to can only ever be the 3-0 hat trick game, played earlyish season (this Oracle was there, not too many were).
Scott Brown ran amok as we all know, with two perfectly good legs.

The cup game was 3-0 too. Not referred to as the Sproule game as he only got the one that fine day.
Scott Brown may well have played that day with a broken leg as he missed a crushing semi final defeat later in the tournament, to the side who may well have done the damage to his leg.

You’re a wee bit more Teletext than you are Oracle Billy.

Broken Gnome
27-12-2018, 07:03 PM
The ‘Sproule’ game MW refers to can only ever be the 3-0 hat trick game, played earlyish season (this Oracle was there, not too many were).

The cup game was 3-0 too. Not referred to as the Sproule game as he only got the one that fine day.
Scott Brown may well have played that day with a broken leg as he missed a crushing semi final defeat later in the tournament, to the side who may well have done the damage to his leg.

Brown took a kicking off Brellier a week before which did the initial damage, I think?

Then came off in the cup game at Ibrox after Murray gave him a sore one.

Iggy Pope
27-12-2018, 07:07 PM
Brown took a kicking off Brellier a week before which did the initial damage, I think?

Then came off in the cup game at Ibrox after Murray gave him a sore one.

:wink:That will be the week before the cup game, not the week before the Ivan game which is the moot point.
He was bum fit in the Ivan game and ran rings round the Hun.

scoopyboy
27-12-2018, 07:12 PM
:wink:That will be the week before the cup game, not the week before the Ivan game which is the moot point.

My lasting memory of the Ivan game was the second goal where Scott Brown ran virtually box to box with the ball his feet and Peter Lovenkrands couldn't keep up.

Hibbyradge
27-12-2018, 07:18 PM
(this Oracle was there, not too many were).

There were 800 of us that day. Hibs.net ran the bus I was on, iirc.

There were 6000 of us at the cup game, although the Broomloan stand holds 8000 and I think we got it all.

Hibee Mac
27-12-2018, 07:18 PM

No one does. But I tell you what I do know, it didn't make it any better did it?

There was a large risk in letting him stay on and you can't deny that, daft decision from the management/physio staff and whether he's perfectly fine or out for a year that doesn't change the fact it was a daft decision.

Like everyone else has said, it's the staffs responsibility to know that Porteous is going to want to stay on against his best interest and to take him off anyway.

Iggy Pope
27-12-2018, 07:19 PM
There were 800 of us that day. Hibs.net ran the bus I was on, iirc.

There were 6000 of us at the cup game, although the Broomloan stand holds 8000 and I think we got it all.

Only game I ever bought a programme on the way out :greengrin

Iggy Pope
27-12-2018, 07:21 PM
My lasting memory of the Ivan game was the second goal where Scott Brown ran virtually box to box with the ball his feet and Peter Lovenkrands couldn't keep up.

My memory says he got the ball close to the bottom corner and took off. You’re correct.

Broken Gnome
27-12-2018, 07:22 PM

I know, I'm agreeing with you and giving some wonderful extra context.

Iggy Pope
27-12-2018, 07:27 PM

True.

B.H.F.C
27-12-2018, 07:38 PM
No one does. But I tell you what I do know, it didn't make it any better did it?

There was a large risk in letting him stay on and you can't deny that, daft decision from the management/physio staff and whether he's perfectly fine or out for a year that doesn't change the fact it was a daft decision.

Like everyone else has said, it's the staffs responsibility to know that Porteous is going to want to stay on against his best interest and to take him off anyway.

So I get that players don’t want to come off. But he’s a big boy and has a responsibility to himself as much as the staff have a responsibility to him. He knows better than anyone else if he’s actually fit to play on or not.

When the physio treated him, if he truly thought there was a risk to him, then he would have told the bench and he would have been subbed IMO.

Players play on with injuries/knocks all the time, I’m not sure why this one is such a big issue. Just yesterday, the Rangers centre half limped back on to the pitch after half time. He could hardly move and probably shouldn’t have been back out. It happens though.

James Stephen
27-12-2018, 07:43 PM
I did think it was an odd decision at the time - but then i wondered if it was just a dead leg or something painful but trivial.

jonty
27-12-2018, 07:51 PM

some more context :greengrin

https://youtu.be/KKXlgf37iFQ?t=60

EH75
27-12-2018, 08:04 PM
Any news on how long he is likely to be out for?

Hibby70
27-12-2018, 08:07 PM
Ryan Porteous, Flying Fortress.

Craig Levien, Drama Queen

BILLYHIBS
27-12-2018, 08:22 PM

:hnetinq:

Yip? Just making sure you were wide awake and paying attention!

The Sproule game was a League game where Gary OConnor muttered the immortal words to Tony Mowbray on being subbed “What the ****s he gonnae dae?”

The Scottish Cup game where he broke his leg was what I like to call the Chris Killen game 0-3 where he scored from an acute angle in front of the HIBS end

But my original point still holds Scott Brown played with a broken leg

This is the link I was referring to in my earlier posts

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/hibernian/4701648.stm

Tia Maria #49 got it spot on

THE ORACLE. :greengrin

Iggy Pope
27-12-2018, 08:30 PM
Aye. And you got your games wrong.

BILLYHIBS
27-12-2018, 09:20 PM
Aye. And you got your games wrong.

Father!

My only excuse is the Cask and Barrel ! :greengrin

My heart was in the right place

Merry Christmas and all the best for 2019

MacGruber
28-12-2018, 07:44 AM
Neil Lennon quoting Lewis out for 4-6 weeks and Ryan out for 'a long time'. Suspect he puts a number of weeks against Lewis but not Ryan as it is going to be too long for him being considered in the short term and more than 6 weeks. Hope not.
When you play on with a bad injury you run the risk of aggrivating it.... always. No ifs or buts. He might be out for the same length of time as if he came off straight away but the knee slipping out weakens the surrounding muscle more each time - it didn't need to happen another 2 times in order to negotiate 30 mins v Livi. Also for the mindset, happens once and gets sorted, happens 3 times and possibly gets into the players head. I know,.. & yes, I'm still raging the physio/management never done their jobs properly and let him down. This guff that Ryan knows best aswell. My young lad would eat chocolate breakfast lunch and dinner but I don't let him because it's not in his best interests.
Totally commend Ryan's bravery and attitude though, what a boy. It's also gone now so we now have to get on with it without him and hope to see him back as soon as possible.

JimBHibees
28-12-2018, 08:15 AM
Neil Lennon quoting Lewis out for 4-6 weeks and Ryan out for 'a long time'. Suspect he puts a number of weeks against Lewis but not Ryan as it is going to be too long for him being considered in the short term and more than 6 weeks. Hope not.
When you play on with a bad injury you run the risk of aggrivating it.... always. No ifs or buts. He might be out for the same length of time as if he came off straight away but the knee slipping out weakens the surrounding muscle more each time - it didn't need to happen another 2 times in order to negotiate 30 mins v Livi. Also for the mindset, happens once and gets sorted, happens 3 times and possibly gets into the players head. I know,.. & yes, I'm still raging the physio/management never done their jobs properly and let him down. This guff that Ryan knows best aswell. My young lad would eat chocolate breakfast lunch and dinner but I don't let him because it's not in his best interests.
Totally commend Ryan's bravery and attitude though, what a boy. It's also gone now so we now have to get on with it without him and hope to see him back as soon as possible.

Got to be said it did look a strange decision at the time to let him play on especially given there were defensive options on the bench think Gray and Whittaker were there. I have had an acl injury and op in the past and cant really get my head around what damage would potentially could happen to ligaments if/when the knee dislocates and also as you say impact on muscles in that area of the leg.

BILLYHIBS
28-12-2018, 08:25 AM
This!
Exactly my point Football Clubs always put their own short term interests first
Disappointed to hear young Ryan to be out for a long time
Will definitely curtail his development
Questions need to be answered

calumhibee1
28-12-2018, 08:34 AM
My young lad would eat chocolate breakfast lunch and dinner but I don't let him because it's not in his best interests.

This made me laugh :greengrin

Crap news about Porteous as he’s been very good recently. Seemed strange to keep him on but then as you say, who knows if it has aggravated things or not. Seemed an unnecessary risk at the time but then maybe it wasn’t going to aggravate the injury and there wasn’t any risk at all.

At least with Lewis the break will cover a lot of his period out.

Smartie
28-12-2018, 08:42 AM
Got to be said it did look a strange decision at the time to let him play on especially given there were defensive options on the bench think Gray and Whittaker were there. I have had an acl injury and op in the past and cant really get my head around what damage would potentially could happen to ligaments if/when the knee dislocates and also as you say impact on muscles in that area of the leg.

I think we'd made all of our subs at that point, I thought he was going to go off and leave us with 10.

BILLYHIBS
28-12-2018, 08:46 AM
I think we'd made all of our subs at that point, I thought he was going to go off and leave us with 10.
I am sure first dislocation took place early in the second half in his own box before MacLaren came on(81mins).

Might be wrong?

calumhibee1
28-12-2018, 08:53 AM
I am sure first dislocation took place early in the second half in his own box before MacLaren came on(81mins).

Might be wrong?

The first time he went down was definitely before we’d made all our subs. Possibly even the first couple. He did go down once we’d made all our subs aswell though.

eastcoasthibby
28-12-2018, 09:13 AM
First problem happened in middle of the first half at the touchline next to the east, went to challenge Moreleos and went down awkwardly, you could see pain in his face as he couldn't get up to go after him. Folk around me were shouting for him to stay down. So the first time was way before any subs were made.
From then on it could be seen he wasnt right and I reckon there was another 3 or 4 times he showed it really affecting him.
For what its worth I couldn't believe he appeared for the second half, and I really am not convinced by our medical team, look at all the injuries we have had and not all through match play, players not being fit or missing games as not quite ready.

Smartie
28-12-2018, 09:17 AM
First problem happened in middle of the first half at the touchline next to the east, went to challenge Moreleos and went down awkwardly, you could see pain in his face as he couldn't get up to go after him. Folk around me were shouting for him to stay down. So the first time was way before any subs were made.
From then on it could be seen he wasnt right and I reckon there was another 3 or 4 times he showed it really affecting him.
For what its worth I couldn't believe he appeared for the second half, and I really am not convinced by our medical team, look at all the injuries we have had and not all through match play, players not being fit or missing games as not quite ready.

Morelos?

I thought we were talking about Porteous in the Livi game when I wasn't aware of Porteous going down until fairly near the end of the match and he stayed down in their box.

I was amazed to see him come back on tbh.

Hibee Mac
28-12-2018, 09:19 AM
Yup, the injury was caused from his diving lung to keep the ball out to Stevenson when we were playing towards the South, so the first half before any subs.

BILLYHIBS
28-12-2018, 09:20 AM
Menga?

Golden Bear
28-12-2018, 09:40 AM
Serious question - do we have our own physio team or do we recruit from an Agency on an "as and when required" basis? I thought I read somewhere a while back that we use an Agency but hopefully I was imagining things.

wookie70
28-12-2018, 10:28 AM
Really bad news that Ryan will be out for a "long time". Impossible not to think that letting a knee pop out 2 or 3 times more in a high intensity game was a terrible idea. If Ryan never told the physio the full extent of the problem then that will be a valuable lesson learned. Saying that you could see from the stands that his knee was buckling under him. If the physio or management team "chanced it" then questions really need asked. At least we have Hanlon and Daz back and starting to look like their old selves. Hopefully, Ryan can get fit again and come back at a similar level he was playing. Looks like that may be next season depending on what long time means

JimBHibees
28-12-2018, 10:44 AM

Thought it was in the left back area after about 30mins before any subs came on. Think his final one was also before our final sub as Jamie came on then Ryan scored the equaliser might be wrong on that one though.

Carheenlea
28-12-2018, 10:48 AM
Really bad news that Ryan will be out for a "long time". Impossible not to think that letting a knee pop out 2 or 3 times more in a high intensity game was a terrible idea. If Ryan never told the physio the full extent of the problem then that will be a valuable lesson learned. Saying that you could see from the stands that his knee was buckling under him. If the physio or management team "chanced it" then questions really need asked. At least we have Hanlon and Daz back and starting to look like their old selves. Hopefully, Ryan can get fit again and come back at a similar level he was playing. Looks like that may be next season depending on what long time means

Yes, pretty concerning that no timescale for his recovery has been given other than a “long time”. Hopefully the extent of it can become clearer quickly and we know where we are. Be a big loss.

hibee_girl
28-12-2018, 10:52 AM
Thought it was in the left back area after about 30mins before any subs came on. Think his final one was also before our final sub as Jamie came on then Ryan scored the equaliser might be wrong on that one though.

Ryan himself said in hospitality after the game that the third time it happened during the livi game was the worst as it wouldn’t pop back in so easily and it was after the 3 subs had been made so he couldn’t come off.

B.H.F.C
28-12-2018, 11:01 AM
Yes, pretty concerning that no timescale for his recovery has been given other than a “long time”. Hopefully the extent of it can become clearer quickly and we know where we are. Be a big loss.

We never seem to get timescales for injuries these days. David Gray was always ‘close’ but ended up out for three months.

I might have missed the comments about Porteous being out long term. All I’ve seen from Lennon on it is that Saturday would probably be too soon for him.

JimBHibees
28-12-2018, 11:15 AM
Ryan himself said in hospitality after the game that the third time it happened during the livi game was the worst as it wouldn’t pop back in so easily and it was after the 3 subs had been made so he couldn’t come off.

Ok cheers wasnt sure of the time of the last one but hopefully nothing too serious though sounds pretty serious to me.

Carheenlea
28-12-2018, 11:17 AM
We never seem to get timescales for injuries these days. David Gray was always ‘close’ but ended up out for three months.

I might have missed the comments about Porteous being out long term. All I’ve seen from Lennon on it is that Saturday would probably be too soon for him.

Yes, haven’t found any news or quotes online other than on here about being out long term, so curious to know where the poster heard Lennon say this?

MacGruber
28-12-2018, 11:19 AM

He could and should though and we play with 10 for the last 5 mins. Would rather risk get beat by Livi playing a man short than draw or win at the expense of making the injury to Porteous any worse - or risking making it worse. Imagine he played the last couple of mins and a livi player goes through him with a hefty challenge on that knee. Was crazy.

MacGruber
28-12-2018, 11:21 AM
Yes, haven’t found any news or quotes online other than on here about being out long term, so curious to know where the poster heard Lennon say this?

It's in the sun article under McGregor saying he has faith in the young players. Quoting Lennon on Lewis & Ryan

B.H.F.C
28-12-2018, 11:21 AM

Just saw it in an Evening News article where it appears to quote him. I’ve not seen the same quote elsewhere so hopefully they’ve misquoted him!

GGTTH07
28-12-2018, 12:01 PM
He not out long term. Fine after winter break

southsider
28-12-2018, 12:10 PM

When I first went in the 60’s there were no subs. Our keeper Willie Wilson got hurt and had to go off. Peter Cormack went in goals and was unbeaten. Bravly Wilson came back on and played right wing. Neatly scored Hibs won 1-0 Thu an Eric Stevenson goal.

Lee Marvin
28-12-2018, 02:20 PM
10 days

BILLYHIBS
24-01-2019, 06:23 PM
Apologies for trudging out this old thread from just after the Livvy game but it really makes you think and wonder if our medical team should really have made the decision to substitute young Ryan Porteous when his knee dislocated the first time during the Livvy game

It now looks as though Ryan needs a major op and will be out for a long time we need to ask ourselves if management put their own selfish short term needs before the welfare and long term fitness of our valuable professional footballers

It is a short career in any case no need to make it unnecessarily shorter!

calumhibee1
24-01-2019, 06:25 PM
Apologies for trudging out this old thread from just after the Livvy game but it really makes you think and wonder if our medical team should really have made the decision to substitute young Ryan Porteous when his knee dislocated the first time during the Livvy game

It now looks as though Ryan needs a major op and will be out for a long time we need to ask ourselves if management put their own selfish short term needs before the welfare and long term fitness of our valuable professional footballers

They should have taken him off. People can tell us about how the medical team know better all they want but it was blatantly obvious something was really wrong during the Livi game.

MacGruber
24-01-2019, 07:04 PM

It was outrageous. Off the first time. One of the defenders off the bench that we pay handsomely. Ryan off to get fixed up

BILLYHIBS
24-01-2019, 08:26 PM
They should have taken him off. People can tell us about how the medical team know better all they want but it was blatantly obvious something was really wrong during the Livi game.

Agree 100 %

It now turns out that us dotnetters that knew nothing because we are not medically qualified actually knew more than the people who are medically qualified just by observing what was happening on the pitch in front of us with our own eyes!

Where is Tom McNiven when you need him?

:dunno:

The Baldmans Comb
24-01-2019, 08:37 PM
Its still hard to comprehend that a player whose knee popped out of it socket 3 times in one game (v Livi) was allowed by the management and medical team to stay on the pitch to the final whistle.

That it happens again in his comeback game is supremely worrying both physically and mentally for the lad.

Hibs have done him no favours.

BILLYHIBS
24-01-2019, 11:38 PM
Its still hard to comprehend that a player whose knee popped out of it socket 3 times in one game (v Livi) was allowed by the management and medical team to stay on the pitch to the final whistle.

That it happens again in his comeback game is supremely worrying both physically and mentally for the lad.

Hibs have done him no favours.

Equally hard to imagine when the young man in question showed the braveheart spirit to pop his knee back into place himself a further twice while also finding the time to score the goal to haul us back into the game

I would say that Ryan Porteous is/was our best long term prospect/asset and the fact that he has now suffered a long term mismanaged injury he now finds himself for the time being through no fault of his own surplus to requirements and facing a lengthy time on the side lines

Questions need to be asked as to why this exciting young player was thrown into the fray on an important Wednesday night Premeir League fixture while obviously not 100% fit and why so many unnecessary changes were made to a winning line up not for the first time denying the team from establishing a rapport a blend a winning relationship a trust going on a consistent run of form that is perhaps a question that I know is already being asked on countless other threads on this forum?

Heisenberg
25-01-2019, 10:45 AM
He’s having a scan today and seeing a specialist on Monday according to SSN. Got to hope Hanlon and McGregor don’t get injured.

LeithMike
25-01-2019, 11:00 AM
I don't know anything about Porteous' fitness prior to Wednesday so obviously the management are in the best position to judge. But...

... Neil Lennon and Gary Parker have been very vocal and public in their criticism of the players regarding their attitudes and the regularity of injuries. It wouldn't be entirely surprising that some of the players (particularly younger ones) would feel a pressure to play when maybe not quite there.

Real concerns about the relationship between the management and the players have been revealed in a public forum and these aren't going to go away with new signings, no matter how good they are.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

where'stheslope
25-01-2019, 11:28 AM
Its always the same when a young player gets injured, if he has an operation will he come back the same as he was?
In this incident, it does make you wonder how much the teams Dr. and Physio knew about this?
To keep him playing on when the knee kept breaking down, was always going to end up this way!
I only hope for the lads sake that it is not damaging to a good career prospect!!

Centre Hawf
25-01-2019, 11:34 AM
Said it at the time Vs Livi. Shambles from the staff to allow him to carry on. Serious questions need asked and answered about situations like this. Lennons comments about the commitment of players can’t have helped create a sense of fear to admit to being injured from youngsters like Porteous either.

MagicSwirlingShip
25-01-2019, 11:44 AM
He’s having a scan today and seeing a specialist on Monday according to SSN. Got to hope Hanlon and McGregor don’t get injured.

Given their record so far this season, their respective ages and our general luck this season I’d say it’s a stick on we will lose at least one of them for a few weeks before the end of the season.

How are we placed in the reserves for centre backs? Who partnered Ryan In the youth team last season? I remember reading that Ben Stirling was well fancied by the coaches at the club but he might have been a central midfield man? Maybe someone who watches more youth/reserve games than me could advise?

I’d rather promote one of the boys from our setup that bring in another also ran on a 6 month deal.

Centre Hawf
25-01-2019, 11:46 AM
Given their record so far this season, their respective ages and out general luck this season I’d say it’s a stick on we will lose at least one of them for a few weeks before the end of the season.

How are we places in the reserves for centre backs? Who partnered Ryan In the youth team last season? I remember reading that Ben Stirling was well fancied by the coaches at the club but he might have been a central midfield man? Maybe someone who watches more youth/reserve games than me could advise?

I’d rather promote one of the boys from our setup that bring in another also ran on a 6 month deal.

Id happily trust a young lad to step up. But why can we not go get a lad like Jimmy Dunne that Hearts got? There’s obviously geme to be had.

BILLYHIBS
25-01-2019, 11:49 AM
Given their record so far this season, their respective ages and our general luck this season I’d say it’s a stick on we will lose at least one of them for a few weeks before the end of the season.

How are we placed in the reserves for centre backs? Who partnered Ryan In the youth team last season? I remember reading that Ben Stirling was well fancied by the coaches at the club but he might have been a central midfield man? Maybe someone who watches more youth/reserve games than me could advise?

Yeah like Brian McLean :confused:

Billy Whizz
25-01-2019, 11:53 AM

Ben’s an excellent up and coming defender, can play anywhere across the back line

MagicSwirlingShip
25-01-2019, 11:55 AM
Ben’s an excellent up and coming defender, can play anywhere across the back line

Get him stripped and on the bench, no point having Nelom there at all

MagicSwirlingShip
25-01-2019, 11:56 AM
Yeah like Brian McLean :confused:

You’ll have to come again with that one as it went right over my head.

calumhibee1
25-01-2019, 12:04 PM
Get him stripped and on the bench, no point having Nelom there at all

Especially once Lewis is back.

Zazu62
25-01-2019, 12:08 PM
He didn’t even have to play on Wednesday night, Hanlon could have played in his natural position, Mackie LB. Lennons bizarre team selections haven’t helped Ryan he’s been hung out to dry

BILLYHIBS
25-01-2019, 12:10 PM
You’ll have to come again with that one as it went right over my head.
:confused:

Ex Rangers and Motherwell centre half played two games for us April 2017 signed short term from a team in Brunei as far as I know he went back there

Mibbes Aye
25-01-2019, 12:14 PM

Very impressed by him on the occasions I’ve seen him, he had real presence.

Like any step-up I hope he will get patience from the support as and when he starts to feature.

MagicSwirlingShip
25-01-2019, 12:40 PM
:confused:

Ex Rangers and Motherwell centre half played two games for us April 2017 signed short term from a team in Brunei as far as I know he went back there

Ah right gotcha fella. Aye my point exactly. Get a young lad we’ve invested in stripped and ready to get more experience. It’s the Hibs way!

Unseen work
01-02-2019, 04:49 PM
Maybe the fans aren’t as stupid after all...