PDA

View Full Version : Savings

H18 SFR
22-12-2018, 01:32 AM
Where's the wise money being saved nowadays for regular savings?

Wembley67
22-12-2018, 06:57 AM
Is there such a thing? For me personally in a stocks and shares ISA (investment trust), it's all down to your personal risk though.

danhibees1875
22-12-2018, 07:44 AM
Depends on your access requirements. If you don't need it any time soon (for retirement) then pension AVC or a S&S Lifetime ISA with the 25% top up would seem the best options.

If you need access to it then moneysupermarket have a regularly updated list of the accounts with the best interest rates, but none will be that great.

Inbetween and you can get fixed rate bonds between 2-3%pa for 1-5 years. I think if you're approaching the 5 year mark and beyond a shares based saving scheme would start to be better though.

Wembley67
22-12-2018, 08:16 AM
https://www.bailliegifford.com/en/uk/intermediaries/how-to-buy/investment-trusts/

Bangkok Hibby
22-12-2018, 04:15 PM
Savings???

Bangkok Hibby
22-12-2018, 04:16 PM
Wise money???

heretoday
22-12-2018, 09:02 PM
Stocks and shares ISAs outstrip anything in a good year.
You have to think long-term though. With Brexit in the melting pot it takes a wee bit of nerve.

H18 SFR
23-12-2018, 11:02 AM
Stocks and shares ISAs outstrip anything in a good year.
You have to think long-term though. With Brexit in the melting pot it takes a wee bit of nerve.

I moved money into one 8 weeks ago and it's dropped 6% in value. In for the long haul now. Pretty much the reason why I asked the original question ha ha.

patch1875
23-12-2018, 11:15 AM
With the Brexit shenanigans I’m got most of mines back into cash for the time being.

pollution
25-12-2018, 05:28 PM
Marcus 1.5% start with £1 and it's easy access. Safe up to £85000, government guaranteed.

IGRIGI
25-12-2018, 09:11 PM
Prepare to short sell into the upcoming bear market.

Pretty Boy
26-12-2018, 08:51 AM
My stocks and shares ISA is currently down in value by 11.25%. It's a long haul thing though so not massively worried.

A few people gave us money when we had the bairn and we added to it and bought her premium bonds. It's generally not recommeded but she's had a couple of wins already so the return has probably been better than if we had stuck it in a savings account, in the short term anyway.

patch1875
26-12-2018, 10:16 AM
My stocks and shares ISA is currently down in value by 11.25%. It's a long haul thing though so not massively worried.

A few people gave us money when we had the bairn and we added to it and bought her premium bonds. It's generally not recommeded but she's had a couple of wins already so the return has probably been better than if we had stuck it in a savings account, in the short term anyway.

I know a couple of people who have the max amount in premium bonds they regularly win and get reasonable returns.

I tracked down some that I was given at birth 47 years later I won nowt!

RyeSloan
26-12-2018, 12:11 PM
I know a couple of people who have the max amount in premium bonds they regularly win and get reasonable returns.

I tracked down some that I was given at birth 47 years later I won nowt!

Premium bonds are certainly not an investment.

They might class as savings as they are redeemable but they are also certain to fall in value due to inflation and do not pay interest so even that description is a stretch.

They are more akin to pre paid perpetual lottery tickets...with the chance of winning any significant sum dramatically reduced accordingly.

The odds are staggering. To win the million you have a one in 36 BILLION chance. To win 25k you have a one in 2.2 billion chance.

Basically they are almost certainly going to lose you money.

speedy_gonzales
26-12-2018, 04:05 PM
Premium bonds are certainly not an investment.

They might class as savings as they are redeemable but they are also certain to fall in value due to inflation and do not pay interest so even that description is a stretch.

They are more akin to pre paid perpetual lottery tickets...with the chance of winning any significant sum dramatically reduced accordingly.

The odds are staggering. To win the million you have a one in 36 BILLION chance. To win 25k you have a one in 2.2 billion chance.

Basically they are almost certainly going to lose you money.
I've had premium bonds for a couple of years now, averaging 3.5%ish growth with the wins being reinvested in bonds rather than cash. If they keep on paying that I'll be happy. I know there are better long term savings and ISA products out there but the capital I've put away I need quick access to (I'm very close to paying my mortgage off and want the funds readily available).
Martin Lewis has a page dedicated to Premium Bonds on his website and he isn't that keen on them either because the theoretical growths are 100% a gamble, the least you get is 0% but a £1 bond "could" win the big prize,,,,

overdrive
28-12-2018, 02:47 PM
Not savings but an opportunity to make some cash. If you think the Euro exchange rate will get any worse, open a Revolut account. I got it for holiday spending but I’ve made a bit of a killing exchanging GBP to Euros and exchanging back as the rate dropped. Obviously at your own risk (and possibly against their T&Cs).