PDA

View Full Version : Why so many threads slagging players?

theonlywayisup
21-12-2018, 11:33 AM
At the moment at the top of the first page, we've got threads about Whittaker, Mallan, Milligan and Maclaren. We've also had similar about Kamberi and Shaw.

Opinions are divided and very mixed - ranging from he's dire, dreadful, rubbish and never will be a XYZ to he's a really good player, contributes well etc.

At my work, I do a lot of great things (IMO), I'll do a lot of average things and I'll have a number of occasions that I will reflect and think that I could have done my job better. If I was constantly picked up for the negative things then my performance would probably get worse and worse. When the reality is that I've got a lot to offer. I get the feeling that on Hibs.net, there must be many who must be 100% perfect in everything that they do as they seem to have some very high expectations. I'm really glad I don't work for them.

My hope for the new year, is that .net will be more balanced and realistic in it's assessment of players.

My_Wife_Camille
21-12-2018, 11:34 AM
At the moment at the top of the first page, we've got threads about Whittaker, Mallan, Milligan and Maclaren. We've also had similar about Kamberi and Shaw.

Opinions are divided and very mixed - ranging from he's dire, dreadful, rubbish and never will be a XYZ to he's a really good player, contributes well etc.

At my work, I do a lot of great things (IMO), I'll do a lot of average things and I'll have a number of occasions that I will reflect and think that I could have done my job better. If I was constantly picked up for the negative things then my performance would probably get worse and worse. When the reality is that I've got a lot to offer. I get the feeling that on Hibs.net, there must be many who must be 100% perfect in everything that they do as they seem to have some very high expectations. I'm really glad I don't work for them.

My hope for the new year, is that .net will be more balanced and realistic in it's assessment of players.
There's your answer

SirDavidsNapper
21-12-2018, 11:38 AM
The way of the world now. Slag off your own players before all others

SmashinGlass
21-12-2018, 11:43 AM

I think there's also a lot of cognitive dissonance in football fans. For some, no matter what good a player does or how well he performs, as soon as there's a slight drop in performance, everything negative the player has ever done will evidence for that person that he's a poor player. Works in the other direction too.

Agree with your hope for the new year!

superfurryhibby
21-12-2018, 11:46 AM

I think that hope is never really going to be met.

What gets on my nerves a bit is the way some posters feel the need to repeatedly state the same view on different threads. Clearly there are some on the wind-up. My discovery of the ignore button has been a revelation, although perusing threads, this now emphasises how prolific they are. Personally, I haven't the time or energy to devote to reading the same old Tom Kite.

Hibbyradge
21-12-2018, 11:49 AM

More chance of peace in the Middle East.

theonlywayisup
21-12-2018, 11:55 AM

What gets on my nerves a bit is the way some posters feel the need to repeatedly state the same view on different threads. Clearly there are some on the wind-up. My discovery of the ignore button has been a revelation, although perusing threads, this now emphasises how prolific they are. Personally, I haven't the time or energy to devote to reading the same old Tom Kite.

That's same with me - I open a thread, scan through today's argument and then close thread.

I find that I really can't be bothered with Hibs.net as much as a I used to because of all the bickering.

It's like at work when you get someone constantly being negative about everything. You quickly find that no-ones pays any attention to that person.

superfurryhibby
21-12-2018, 12:04 PM
That's same with me - I open a thread, scan through today's argument and then close thread.

I find that I really can't be bothered with Hibs.net as much as a I used to because of all the bickering.

It's like at work when you get someone constantly being negative about everything. You quickly find that no-ones pays any attention to that person.

On here the mega nega's just up the ante and come out with even more bizarre statements. Check out the thread on MacLaren just now. The poster trotting out the same nonsense about him only scoring tap in's etc, debating whether there is a place in the modern game for a poacher type player and the rest. Fine, that's their view, but how many times on how many threads?

Jack Hackett
21-12-2018, 12:32 PM
On here the mega nega's just up the ante and come out with even more bizarre statements. Check out the thread on MacLaren just now. The poster trotting out the same nonsense about him only scoring tap in's etc, debating whether there is a place in the modern game for a poacher type player and the rest. Fine, that's their view, but how many times on how many threads?

As many as it takes to get them the attention they deserve :dunno:

I tend to avoid any named player threads after any perceived bad result

Pretty Boy
21-12-2018, 12:39 PM
I'm a tad confused by the OP. The title suggests there is multiple threads slagging players, fair enough. The body of the text then states:

'Opinions are divided and very mixed - ranging from he's dire, dreadful, rubbish and never will be a XYZ to he's a really good player, contributes well etc.'

That suggests there is at least some level of counter argument to the 'slagging players' and it might actually be what was once called a debate or discussion that is taking place in which there is both criticism and praise for certain players.

I'm also curious as to when the halycon days where when no one criticised players or had players they had more of an irrational dislike to than others. It predates my time watching football anyway. I suppose the rose tinted glasses get a bit stronger as you get older though. I

I can't imagine anything worse than just reading page after page of things I agree with. It's also worth remembering the management team aren't shy in 'slagging' players either. Kamberi got it publicly 3 times from Parker and when asked about Shaws performance during his BBC interview last Sunday Neil Lennons opening line was 'he's had a poor start to the season'.

Ozyhibby
21-12-2018, 01:11 PM
The team are under performing. It’s natural that people are discussing why. And it’s also natural that there are many opinions on why as well. Not sure what is so confusing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hibbysam
21-12-2018, 01:20 PM
The team are under performing. It’s natural that people are discussing why. And it’s also natural that there are many opinions on why as well. Not sure what is so confusing.

Right now we have taken 7 points from our last 9 including two games against the old firm... since when was that ever underachieving?

My_Wife_Camille
21-12-2018, 01:31 PM
Right now we have taken 7 points from our last 9 including two games against the old firm... since when was that ever underachieving?
The beauty of stats like that is that you can twist them to say anything you want.

2 wins in our last 10, failed to even score in half of them, only picked up 2 points from 6 at home to the two teams heading for relegation and languishing in the bottom half of the table.

Prettyboy hits the nail nail on the head with everything there. Some people on here remind me of primary school kids who get all upset when someone says something nasty about the team they like.

I find it mad that some people are so uneasy about the prospect of people discussing the negative aspects of football. These are the people who seem to think that ‘balanced’ actually means ‘positive’ when that isn’t the case. It’s perfectly possible to offer a balanced analysis and still come to a negative conclusion.

Ozyhibby
21-12-2018, 01:44 PM

We’re 8th and behind St. Johnstone, Kilmarnock and Livingston, teams with budgets a fraction of ours. That is under performing.

hibsbollah
21-12-2018, 01:45 PM
... because the world is full of torn faced disasters in general. I've just been to the eighth pit of hell also known as Cameron Toll Shopping Centre. I must have clapped eyes on two or three thousand different individuals, not a smile or a sign of festive enthusiasm to be seen. You can just tell their only joy in life is being critical.

It's society, man.

Viva_Palmeiras
21-12-2018, 02:37 PM
I'm a tad confused by the OP. The title suggests there is multiple threads slagging players, fair enough. The body of the text then states:

'Opinions are divided and very mixed - ranging from he's dire, dreadful, rubbish and never will be a XYZ to he's a really good player, contributes well etc.'

That suggests there is at least some level of counter argument to the 'slagging players' and it might actually be what was once called a debate or discussion that is taking place in which there is both criticism and praise for certain players.

I'm also curious as to when the halycon days where when no one criticised players or had players they had more of an irrational dislike to than others. It predates my time watching football anyway. I suppose the rose tinted glasses get a bit stronger as you get older though. I

I can't imagine anything worse than just reading page after page of things I agree with. It's also worth remembering the management team aren't shy in 'slagging' players either. Kamberi got it publicly 3 times from Parker and when asked about Shaws performance during his BBC interview last Sunday Neil Lennons opening line was 'he's had a poor start to the season'.

Halcyon days ? Well dunno it it was quite like that but I don’t seem to recall the Hibs-list wading into players. It does seem like a bygone era where more folks than not iirc everyone used their own names, I don’t recall wars of attritition, tit-for-tat squabbling, wind up merchants, interloping jamjos but maybe it’s just my beer addled noggin ;)

Viva_Palmeiras
21-12-2018, 02:42 PM

Just extend the window out to get the alarming 2 wins out of the last X...

It’s just how it works.

FWIW i think it’s a Scottish trait that drags us back - tendancy to focus on the negatives - bringing folks down a peg stopping folks getting ideas above their station, alright for some and still dining out on goal/game/cup final and it’s self defeating. Merry Christmas ;)

Pretty Boy
21-12-2018, 02:43 PM
Halcyon days ? Well dunno it it was quite like that but I don’t seem to recall the Hibs-list wading into players. It does seem like a bygone era where more folks than not iirc everyone used their own names, I don’t recall wars of attritition, tit-for-tat squabbling, wind up merchants, interloping jamjos but maybe it’s just my beer addled noggin ;)

My point was there has always been criticism of players. The other examples you use are all, in this context, phenomena of the internet age so are somewhat incomparable to days gone by. Even Hibs list, as good as it was in it's day, was from a different age.

I'd agree the rise of forums and other social media has created a dog with a bone mentality but I'd argue it's because the platform affords the luxury of not having someone to tell you to 'shut the **** up because you're boring me' rather than because moaning about a team and players is a modern invention.

Since90+2
21-12-2018, 02:45 PM
... because the world is full of torn faced disasters in general. I've just been to the eighth pit of hell also known as Cameron Toll Shopping Centre. I must have clapped eyes on two or three thousand different individuals, not a smile or a sign of festive enthusiasm to be seen. You can just tell their only joy in life is being critical.

It's society, man.

Bit ironic this post :greengrin

NORTHERNHIBBY
21-12-2018, 02:47 PM
Depends on how touchy you are or what type of result we have had. Why do we have Happy Clappers and Bed-wetter's? I suppose a pot doesn't stir itself?

makaveli1875
21-12-2018, 02:56 PM

I started the Whittaker thread and if you take the time to read it you'll see i was praising his performance , a few folk jumped in to slag him but it was mostly positive comments :aok:

Pretty Boy
21-12-2018, 03:08 PM
Depends on how touchy you are or what type of result we have had. Why do we have Happy Clappers and Bed-wetter's? I suppose a pot doesn't stir itself?

I've often thought the whole 'happy clappers' and 'bedwetters' thing is a result of some people almost playing a character online. Before I read through a thread I usually have a pretty good idea of who will be all over it dragging it one way or another; by contrast there are, despite opinions to the contrary, a lot of people worth reading on here who provide decent insight and interesting analysis.

I think there's often a failure to recognise everyone is different, I'm as guilty of it as anyone and my 1st point in this post probably confirms that. My posting style on here is similar to how I am in life; I can go from being as high as a kite one day to Mr doom and gloom the next. The bigger picture in almost any arena is alien to me and particularly so when it comes to football. If Hibs win a few games then I'm happy, lose a few and I moan; each to their own but I struggle to be bothered about how many goals we have scored in our last 500 games, how many chances we created 6 months ago or how many games we have won or lost in our last 50. I also accept that the idea of building long term success at a club like Hibs is improbable. Success for all but 2 clubs in Scotland is generally fleeting, a small chunk of the 1980s being the only relatively recent exception, so I tend to think we have to live in the moment and react to the snapshot in time we are currently experiencing. Of course it's possible to build a platform to finish 3rd, 4th or 5th consistently but that will be achieved through a series of peaks and troughs, slumps and goods runs and I'll have fun riding them out.

Sioux
21-12-2018, 03:15 PM
My point was there has always been criticism of players. The other examples you use are all, in this context, phenomena of the internet age so are somewhat incomparable to days gone by. Even Hibs list, as good as it was in it's day, was from a different age.

I'd agree the rise of forums and other social media has created a dog with a bone mentality but I'd argue it's because the platform affords the luxury of not having someone to tell you to 'shut the **** up because you're boring me' rather than because moaning about a team and players is a modern invention.

That would happen in real life. In real life some of the culprits on here wouldn't dare to speak the way they do,only when they'be got the anonymous blanket to hide under.

There's very rarely a discussion. We get "that's my opinion and that's it". Uttering a sentence is not providing an opinion. An opinion is based on a logical thought process. Something like "he's a wage thief", or similar, is not an opinion, its a statement and nothing else.

The loudest mouths very rarely have something to say. It's amazing just how detached from reality all these loud-mouthed advocates are. And its usually those who are pretending to be angry about whatever.

But forums such as this provide a platform for ignorant people to have their 'fifteen minutes of fame'. Maybe there's room for proper administration.

The loudmouths won't like this, but hey ho.

Pretty Boy
21-12-2018, 03:30 PM
That would happen in real life. In real life some of the culprits on here wouldn't dare to speak the way they do,only when they'be got the anonymous blanket to hide under.

There's very rarely a discussion. We get "that's my opinion and that's it". Uttering a sentence is not providing an opinion. An opinion is based on a logical thought process. Something like "he's a wage thief", or similar, is not an opinion, its a statement and nothing else.

The loudest mouths very rarely have something to say. It's amazing just how detached from reality all these loud-mouthed advocates are. And its usually those who are pretending to be angry about whatever.

But forums such as this provide a platform for ignorant people to have their 'fifteen minutes of fame'. Maybe there's room for proper administration.

I'm genuinely curious about the point in bold. In what way?

I've said before but I think there's often a tendency to remember what we don't agree with more than that which we do approve of. One of the criticisms of hibs.net from various external sources is that we over moderate the board and censor negative opinion about the club. It would appear though that there is a strong alternative viewpoint that we allow too much criticism and are actually providing a platform for a negative and hostile atmosphere to breed.

I'm usually loathe to interfere in threads running their natural courses even if I do find some of the statements/opinions baffling because most discussions usually reach a natural conclusion. I'm not sure any admin wants to spend time censoring discussion to the extent that would be required to remove any bickering. Ultimately it would come down to the personal opinions of a few people and that could end up with us allowing what we agreed with and deleting what we didn't and that can't be healthy.

Sioux
21-12-2018, 03:48 PM
I'm genuinely curious about the point in bold. In what way?

I've said before but I think there's often a tendency to remember what we don't agree with more than that which we do approve of. One of the criticisms of hibs.net from various external sources is that we over moderate the board and censor negative opinion about the club. It would appear though that there is a strong alternative viewpoint that we allow too much criticism and are actually providing a platform for a negative and hostile atmosphere to breed.

I'm usually loathe to interfere in threads running their natural courses even if I do find some of the statements/opinions baffling because most discussions usually reach a natural conclusion. I'm not sure any admin wants to spend time censoring discussion to the extent that would be required to remove any bickering. Ultimately it would come down to the personal opinions of a few people and that could end up with us allowing what we agreed with and deleting what we didn't and that can't be healthy.

I don't suggest it is easy. There are many posts on here that are merely lighting the blue touch paper. There are many personal insults. Could that be an area to consider?

There's no doubt in my mind that a free reign can, and does, contribute to a less that healthy discussion. As an example, it seems at the moment that if you don't agree that all Hibs players are, at best, average, you are weak and part of the perceived problem. That's not a discussion.

Maybe 'proper' administration was the wrong word, and i retract that.

theonlywayisup
21-12-2018, 03:49 PM

Proof below from the Whittaker thread, where the attachment shows the high performance stats.

Can't be true, I read on here he didn't have a good game

He didn't.

Bostonhibby
21-12-2018, 03:51 PM

It's society, man.Top post.

The only bit missing is that it's something known as Christmas, and most of them don't want to be at Cameron toll and the credit card bill will arrive in February.[emoji6]

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

One Day Soon
21-12-2018, 03:54 PM

It's society, man.

:agree: I cannot overstate the extent to which this is true. I think it must be built over some gateway to the underworld.

theonlywayisup
21-12-2018, 03:55 PM

:thumbsup:just used the "ignore button"

One Day Soon
21-12-2018, 03:56 PM
:thumbsup:just used the "ignore button"

What exactly happens if you use it?

Pretty Boy
21-12-2018, 04:00 PM
I don't suggest it is easy. There are many posts on here that are merely lighting the blue touch paper. There are many personal insults. Could that be an area to consider?

There's no doubt in my mind that a free reign can, and does, contribute to a less that healthy discussion. As an example, it seems at the moment that if you don't agree that all Hibs players are, at best, average, you are weak and part of the perceived problem. That's not a discussion.

Maybe 'proper' administration was the wrong word, and i retract that.

My post wasn't a criticism of your view at all so no need for retraction.

It's a fair point regarding personal insults. It's generally something not allowed and is dealt with. The issue is it's not always possible to catch every single one and we do rely on people reporting things they think go too far. A lot of people are fairly happy to post about 'yam infiltrators' or other perceived issues publicly, they then rarely if ever report a post before again publicly expressing concerns a short time later. That's something of a vicious cycle in itself.

I've expressed my thoughts previously that the forum structure is probably nearer the end of it's life cycle than it is to the start. A lot of people seems to prefer the quickfire, short bursts of opinion on Twitter etc with little or no challenge. When that makes it's way on here and manifests itself in the way you describe (eg 'wage thief') there is often a negative reaction and people don't take kindly to being challenged.

I've no idea what the long term answer is beyond acceptance that times have changed and the days of a small forum with a select group of posters have gone.

One Day Soon
21-12-2018, 04:03 PM

It's a fair point regarding personal insults. It's generally something not allowed and is dealt with. The issue is it's not always possible to catch every single one and we do rely on people reporting things they think go too far. A lot of people are fairly happy to post about 'yam infiltrators' or other perceived issues publicly, they then rarely if ever report a post before again publicly expressing concerns a short time later. That's something of a vicious cycle in itself.

I've expressed my thoughts previously that the forum structure is probably nearer the end of it's life cycle than it is to the start. A lot of people seems to prefer the quickfire, short bursts of opinion on Twitter etc with little or no challenge. When that makes it's way on here and manifests itself in the way you describe (eg 'wage thief') there is often a negative reaction and people don't take kindly to being challenged.

I've no idea what the long term answer is beyond acceptance that times have changed and the days of a small forum with a select group of posters have gone.

I detest Twitter. The Twitterisation of .net is/would be a very bad thing.

Bostonhibby
21-12-2018, 04:20 PM
We need one sub forum for Hibbies who can't handle a defeat or a draw.

Another one for folk who have been lucky enough to make it onto and survive on a great quality Hibs site but don't really get much joy out of Hibs or aren't Hibbies.

Another one for those that didn't like a player the first time he played for us and will never change however much the players form goes up and down.

Another one for those that just want to take a contrary position to the majority of Hibs fans (copyright Monty Python argument sketch) because they can.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Sioux
21-12-2018, 04:26 PM

That's because it is often that such a comment doesn't have foundation, or someone is unable to form some reason, other than; "what game were you watching" or "were you at the game". If it was expanded upon by, for example, starting with; "Because I think............................................. ........................" you've at least got the basic requirement of an opinion. Unfortunately, that seems to be the exception rather than the norm.

Anyhow, the enjoyment of the forum for me at least is not what it once was. But, I'll still comment occasionally and hope not to get drawn into the melee :greengrin

theonlywayisup
21-12-2018, 04:40 PM

It hides your posts :thumbsup:

Jack Hackett
21-12-2018, 04:44 PM

All the posts from the person you're ignoring come up as 'you're ignoring posts from this person'... with the option to 'view the post' if you really really want to know what's been said but don't care to admit it, even to yourself :greengrin

Edit

In an ideal world, the person you're ignoring would get an electric shock every time they touched the kb :devil:

cabbageandribs1875
21-12-2018, 05:03 PM
All the posts from the person you're ignoring come up as 'you're ignoring posts from this person'... with the option to 'view the post' if you really really want to know what's been said but don't care to admit it, even to yourself :greengrin

Edit

In an ideal world, the person you're ignoring would get an electric shock every time they touched the kb :devil:

unfortunately posts from posters on an ignore list shows up in i-spy, also some fudleys that like reinventing themselves with new usernames have to be put on the ignore list again

Aritch
21-12-2018, 05:04 PM
It would be easier to do things like over on kerrydale street. Just have 1 thread for each player which can cover the entirety of their Hibs career.

That would avoid the issue of people starting multiple knee-jerk threads after matches with OPs like "he's pash. End of." and might actually lead to more nuanced debate with less point scoring.

jacomo
21-12-2018, 05:28 PM
Less slagging more positivity would work for me.

We’re a demanding and volatile support - which I like - but I also think most of our players are trying their best to please us. It’s not easy!

Captain Trips
21-12-2018, 06:13 PM

It looks like you are suggesting that it's maybe only people with a point deemed critical that come across as loudmouth? Is it OK to be aggressive in the defence of a player?

Sorry if this is not what you mean.

Hi Heid Yin
21-12-2018, 06:20 PM

It's society, man.

:tee hee::tee hee: That got me

theonlywayisup
21-12-2018, 06:29 PM
It would be easier to do things like over on kerrydale street. Just have 1 thread for each player which can cover the entirety of their Hibs career.

That would avoid the issue of people starting multiple knee-jerk threads after matches with OPs like "he's pash. End of." and might actually lead to more nuanced debate with less point scoring.

Fully agree with this. Please admins make it happen.

Sioux
21-12-2018, 09:53 PM
It looks like you are suggesting that it's maybe only people with a point deemed critical that come across as loudmouth? Is it OK to be aggressive in the defence of a player?

Sorry if this is not what you mean.

That was an example only. Why would someone need to be aggressive at any time?

Borderhibbie76
21-12-2018, 10:00 PM
Right now we have taken 7 points from our last 9 including two games against the old firm... since when was that ever underachieving?Beat me to it mate...some hibs fans really have ideas above their stations honestly

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Captain Trips
21-12-2018, 10:46 PM
That was an example only. Why would someone need to be aggressive at any time?

Being aggressive on here in type is very subjective, I was just stating that it may come across from your post as the only people whom are "loudmouths" or something similar are people being critical.