PDA

View Full Version : Craig Thomson

SouthMoroccoStu
20-12-2018, 07:35 AM
Everybody’s favourite ref was poor again last night

Fell for every rangers player dive and faked injury.

The one with Flo at the end was the icing on the cake, I doubt he had a clear view of it and he certainly stopped a goal scoring opportunity

The first yellow past the 70 minute mark was confusing in itself

Morelos spitting at the assistant ref was disgusting, clear as day and the lines man at the west stand side should have signaled to Thomson

But, for balance, therangers probably should have had a penalty with the Milligan hand (elbow) ball in the box. Personally I don’t think Porteous was lucky to stay on the park. I was a yellow, but just a robust challenge - I don’t think Ryan can do any other kind! ;)

But the one that really annoyed me was therangers player going down on the pitch, no foul, the physios come on and the player didn’t go off the park! As I understood it, if a foul produces a card, the player fouled doesn’t have to go off.

Am I wrong on this?

Either way, up til last night, I thought Thomson has been fine against us (post cup final cheating) but a “suitable time” has past and he’s back to his old ways

Hibbyradge
20-12-2018, 07:45 AM
As I posted in the other thread, I thought he was fine.

If Thomson was "back to his old ways" he'd have given Ryan a red card and a penalty for hand ball against Milligan.

I also thought Kamberi did knock the defender on the head which gave him the opportunity to bring out all his acting skills.

BlackSheep
20-12-2018, 07:47 AM
A good analysis of his performance last night.

Unfortunately I have given up caring about the officials in our game as they are piss poor week in week out.

I don’t have the opinion that it’s a conspiracy against us, as most weeks they are just as poor in making decisions both for and against us and there are constant and consistent poor reviews from other matches too.

I used to harbour the opinion that making them full time professional officials would benefit our game, but now i am inclined to agree with (dare I say it!) Levein in saying that the only way forward is VAR. It would be money better spent!

Auckland Hibs
20-12-2018, 07:49 AM
I thought he got the two biggest decisions wrong in the game - it was a definite red card and penalty.

SouthMoroccoStu
20-12-2018, 07:50 AM

If Thomson was "back to his old ways" he'd have given Ryan a red card and a penalty for hand ball against Milligan.

I also thought Kamberi did knock the defender on the head which gave him the opportunity to bring out all his acting skills.

Ryan’s challenge was solid but never a red. But as I said in my post it probably should have been a penalty

I don’t think Thomson had a good view of the Flo “foul” so he panicked and guessed - not exactly good

We may have to agree to disagree on this one HR but I thought he was poor - therangers got too many questionable minor decisions

BlackSheep
20-12-2018, 07:52 AM

Back to the old ways or not, he was poor at his job last night, for and against us.

I would prefer having a ref who officiates well (even if it means decisions against us) than the sorry lot we have right now!

Lendo
20-12-2018, 07:53 AM
Is there a video of this spitting incident. I get a funny feeling I will need it when the inevitable abuse starts at work this morning from our resident hun.

Hibbyradge
20-12-2018, 07:53 AM
I thought he got the two biggest decisions wrong in the game - it was a definite red card and penalty.

Well, it was certainly borderline red, and I expect anyone who wanted Scott Brown sent off on Sunday will agree with you.

SirDavidsNapper
20-12-2018, 07:55 AM
Maybe it's just me but thought the ref had a good game other than missing a clear penalty for Rangers

Hibbyradge
20-12-2018, 07:56 AM
Back to the old ways or not, he was poor at his job last night, for and against us.

I would prefer having a ref who officiates well (even if it means decisions against us) than the sorry lot we have right now!

I thought he was fine and I remember thinking that he was having a good match during the game.

Opinions, eh?

Onion
20-12-2018, 08:06 AM
Some odd decisions but thought Thomson was better than 90% of the imposters we usual get for big games.

Any match where we get away without a dodgy Hun penalty, dodgy offside goal, or one of our boys red carded is a blessed relief. That usually sparks a Sevco statement.

we are hibs
20-12-2018, 08:10 AM
Was the first time in a while the east stand linesman didn't have a howler of an offside call during the whole 90. I also can't believe with the amount of players going down 2nd half and 4 subs in the 2nd half that there was only 2 mins added

Onion
20-12-2018, 08:10 AM
Well, it was certainly borderline red, and I expect anyone who wanted Scott Brown sent off on Sunday will agree with you.

In Browns case, he got near the ball but went in with intent to hurt Slivka. In Ryan's case, he got nowhere near the ball but was just intent in stopping the Hun player. Imo Browns was the closer to a red, and he should have walked.

matty_f
20-12-2018, 08:15 AM
In Browns case, he got near the ball but went in with intent to hurt Slivka. In Ryan's case, he got nowhere near the ball but was just intent in stopping the Hun player. Imo Browns was the closer to a red, and he should have walked.
I don't think there was much difference at all, both should have been refs imho.

I thought the ball struck Milligan's shoulder for the penalty shot and so the ref got that right.

His decision at the end was a disgrace though. It was never a foul on the Rangers player.

aljo7-0
20-12-2018, 08:18 AM
I don't think there was much difference at all, both should have been refs imho.

I thought the ball struck Milligan's shoulder for the penalty shot and so the ref got that right.

His decision at the end was a disgrace though. It was never a foul on the Rangers player.

What was Slivka booked for - Calling out the cheating Hun? Taking a push in the chest? Bending over a player inappropriately?

Frazerbob
20-12-2018, 08:29 AM
What was Slivka booked for - Calling out the cheating Hun? Taking a push in the chest? Bending over a player inappropriately?

This really does my nut in. Whenever there’s any sort of handbags, the ref will ALWAYS book the 2 players involved even when one, like last night, does absolutely nothing to warrant it and the numerous others who pile in get off scot free. Refs taking the easy decision every time.

Connollys11
20-12-2018, 08:32 AM
Everybody’s favourite ref was poor again last night

Fell for every rangers player dive and faked injury.

The one with Flo at the end was the icing on the cake, I doubt he had a clear view of it and he certainly stopped a goal scoring opportunity

The first yellow past the 70 minute mark was confusing in itself

Morelos spitting at the assistant ref was disgusting, clear as day and the lines man at the west stand side should have signaled to Thomson

But, for balance, therangers probably should have had a penalty with the Milligan hand (elbow) ball in the box. Personally I don’t think Porteous was lucky to stay on the park. I was a yellow, but just a robust challenge - I don’t think Ryan can do any other kind! ;)

But the one that really annoyed me was therangers player going down on the pitch, no foul, the physios come on and the player didn’t go off the park! As I understood it, if a foul produces a card, the player fouled doesn’t have to go off.

Am I wrong on this?

Either way, up til last night, I thought Thomson has been fine against us (post cup final cheating) but a “suitable time” has past and he’s back to his old ways I actually thought he handled the game pretty well. Vintage Thomson would've sent off 4 players last night and ruined the match before half time.

J-C
20-12-2018, 08:33 AM
He looked fat, lazy, never up with play and you can see he's getting ready for his retirement. Should've booked Morelos for his dive in the box, missed 3 blatant hand balls particularly Kamberi's when he controlled it with both hands at his thighs, looked around no whistle and carried on, you could even see the surprise on his face when no whistle came. Ignored some obvious fouls and booked Slivka for nothing, he's a shocking ref and it baffles me why these guys get to the levels they do, just terrible and spoils every game he's in charge of.

weecounty hibby
20-12-2018, 09:13 AM
He allowed Morellos to foul all night with no booking or even a talking to. The worst dive I've ever seen as well from Morellos went unpunished. About five minutes into the game at the edge of the box on the east stand side. Total shocker and he should definitely been booked for it

GreenArmyyy!
20-12-2018, 09:15 AM
Can’t emphasise enough my hatred for that cretin.

Bob1875
20-12-2018, 10:14 AM
He’s turned into one our better refs, constantly trying to let the game flow and doesn’t flash cards too easily.

Johnny_Leith
20-12-2018, 11:33 AM
I thought there were a lot of similarities regarding porteous' yellow card with valid Alston's challenge on McGinn at McDiarmid last season.

They were both given as yellow cards, but I think both should be red.

Billy Whizz
20-12-2018, 11:35 AM
I thought there were a lot of similarities regarding porteous' yellow card with valid Alston's challenge on McGinn at McDiarmid last season.

They were both given as yellow cards, but I think both should be red.

McGinn was travelling at full pelt, the Rangers boy wasn’t. Silly challenge from Ryan, needs to get this out of his game quickly

Johnny_Leith
20-12-2018, 11:39 AM
McGinn was travelling at full pelt, the Rangers boy wasn’t. Silly challenge from Ryan, needs to get this out of his game quickly

Both were moving away from their defender and taken out with a high, late and reckless tackle with no attempt for the ball.

Other than the jerseys they were wearing I don't see much difference.

danhibees1875
20-12-2018, 11:45 AM
Both were moving away from their defender and taken out with a high, late and reckless tackle with no attempt for the ball.

Other than the jerseys they were wearing I don't see much difference.

Porteous looked like he was determined to get booked after failing 5 minutes previously with a similar tackle on someone at the half way line. The reckless intent from RP could have easily worked against him. From what I recall of Allison's he just made sure SJM didn't break away up the pitch.

number9dream
20-12-2018, 11:56 AM
I'm a bit worried that Porteous could find himself in trouble for that reckless lunge. It was nasty, no doubt, and came not long after he'd missed Morelos with a similar flying hack. We'd be going bananas if that was an opposition player...
Darian Mackinnon at Hamilton was banned earlier this season for a foul that was initially a booking, so there is a precedent for retrospective action. Maybe the fact that nothing happened with Scott Brown a few days earlier will work in our favour.
Either way, Porteous needs to cut that out and concentrate on all the really positive progress he has made in such a short time.

Milligan took a big risk sticking his arm out like that to stop the shot, although Gerrard didn't seem too fussed about it later when asked by reporters who were more upset than him about it not being a penalty.

As for Thomson, he let the game flow to a degree but he's very slow and struggles to keep up with play.

Cropley10
20-12-2018, 12:20 PM
Putting aside everything else - he jumped with glee on the opportunity to prevent us from having the chance to go 1 on 1 with McGregor with seconds left.

Likewise, there's a very questionable call which he gives as a foul and a free kick to them - about 25/30 yards out, pretty central. It was a weak effort. But on another day it flies in.

This is how bad/biased refs work. They don't flash cards about they just take the opportunity to influence the key moments, goal-scoring opportunities, mostly. He did that last night. He did in the Cup Final, he'll do it again.

Anyone who's ever heard refs speak on the after-dinner circuit will know what I mean. They talk about how they chose to give decisions and why.

Thomson doesn't like us and he cheats. Not sure what the debate is.

superfurryhibby
20-12-2018, 12:23 PM
Some baffling decisions. Booking Slivka, saying play on tothe Hun then stopping and awarding the foul when they were in strong position ( Hun on the ball seemed to prefer the foul, not really his decision to make though).

Porteous was a very lucky boy though and the ref gave Milligan the benefit of the doubt. Replay showed he moved his arm up and toward the ball, albeit contact seemed to be with chest and arm, I thought itwas a penalty.

The linesman on the west side was taking some abuse from the Hun. He was pretty cool with it, making eye contact and smiling at some ranting ****wits.

TelaStella
20-12-2018, 01:42 PM
Didn’t think he really did much wrong in a game where surprisingly there wasn’t really much to do. If anything he may have done us a couple favours when you look at ryan’s tackle and the hand ball which easily could have went the other way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lago
20-12-2018, 01:57 PM
:aok:
Maybe it's just me but thought the ref had a good game other than missing a clear penalty for Rangers

JeMeSouviens
20-12-2018, 02:01 PM

Don't think it's clear. It comes off the shoulder/very top of Milligan's arm. Borderline.

Watch it slowed down here. It'd be easier to tell from Thomson's angle, so prob not a pen.

https://youtu.be/WxGnm-QRdXE?t=99

allezsauzee
20-12-2018, 02:08 PM

Why? They were totally different challenges. Porteous was late but he didn't jump into the tackle with both feet like Brown's. He does tackle with a bit of force though which means that if he mistimes his tackle, it is going to look violent.

Hibbyradge
20-12-2018, 02:15 PM
Putting aside everything else - he jumped with glee on the opportunity to prevent us from having the chance to go 1 on 1 with McGregor with seconds left.

Likewise, there's a very questionable call which he gives as a foul and a free kick to them - about 25/30 yards out, pretty central. It was a weak effort. But on another day it flies in.

This is how bad/biased refs work. They don't flash cards about they just take the opportunity to influence the key moments, goal-scoring opportunities, mostly. He did that last night. He did in the Cup Final, he'll do it again.

Anyone who's ever heard refs speak on the after-dinner circuit will know what I mean. They talk about how they chose to give decisions and why.

Thomson doesn't like us and he cheats. Not sure what the debate is.

"Put away everything else" and you'll always get the answer you're looking for.

If Thomson wanted us to lose, why didn't he send Ryan off and,/ or give the Rangers at least one penalty?

Tornadoes70
20-12-2018, 02:22 PM
Don't think it's clear. It comes off the shoulder/very top of Milligan's arm. Borderline.

Watch it slowed down here. It'd be easier to tell from Thomson's angle, so prob not a pen.

https://youtu.be/WxGnm-QRdXE?t=99

Why? They were totally different challenges. Porteous was late but he didn't jump into the tackle with both feet like Brown's. He does tackle with a bit of force though which means that if he mistimes his tackle, it is going to look violent.

Agree with both these posts.

Shoulder rather than arm and would have been a soft very debatable controversial sending off with instead the yellow the correct call.

Both teams had good chances to score and I'm happy to come out of it with a point.

Onwards and Upwards.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

Hibbyradge
20-12-2018, 02:24 PM

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/scotland/46588222

Gloucester Hibs
20-12-2018, 02:30 PM
My twisted, bitter, opinion of Thomson is that he will generally officiate our games fairly and impartially now, as in his mind his work has already been done. 2012 was bad enough and the penalty and sending off effectively ended the contest, but who remembers a nonsense red card given to Steven Fletcher very early on in a derby prior to that final? Also a ridiculous decision that ended the game.

kaimendhibs
20-12-2018, 02:43 PM
My twisted, bitter, opinion of Thomson is that he will generally officiate our games fairly and impartially now, as in his mind his work has already been done. 2012 was bad enough and the penalty and sending off effectively ended the contest, but who remembers a nonsense red card given to Steven Fletcher very early on in a derby prior to that final? Also a ridiculous decision that ended the game.Never forget the 2 semi finals against Dunfermline. Gave us nothing and then a penalty to them for Adam Hammils dive. How anyone supporting Hibs can stick up for him is beyond me

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Cropley10
20-12-2018, 02:44 PM
"Put away everything else" and you'll always get the answer you're looking for.

If Thomson wanted us to lose, why didn't he send Ryan off and,/ or give the Rangers at least one penalty?

Why?

Because that's too blatant - to open to scrutiny, to video replay and analysis, to appeal. It's subtlety that influences the game, not (so-called) big decisions.

The last minute opportunity when he immediately blew for a foul isn't in the BBC highlights, it's been forgotten, ignored. Thomson will be quietly satisfied with that; Hibs had a chance, he immediately blew. Job done.

He's not flagrant any more, he's sleekit.

Cropley10
20-12-2018, 02:48 PM
Agree with both these posts.

Shoulder rather than arm and would have been a soft very debatable controversial sending off with instead the yellow the correct call.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

Gerrard didn't think it was a penalty either.

Some on here will see the fact that Thomson didn't either as an argument that he's not biased. :confused:

Hibbyradge
20-12-2018, 02:51 PM
Why?

Because that's too blatant - to open to scrutiny, to video replay and analysis, to appeal. It's subtlety that influences the game, not (so-called) big decisions.

The last minute opportunity when he immediately blew for a foul isn't in the BBC highlights, it's been forgotten, ignored. Thomson will be quietly satisfied with that; Hibs had a chance, he immediately blew. Job done.

Do you think he would have waited till the last minute to get the "job done" if he wanted to cheat against us?

No-one would have criticised him for sending Porteous off.

No-one would have criticised him for awarding a penalty for handball.

Apart from you, obviously.

Hibbyradge
20-12-2018, 02:55 PM
Gerrard didn't think it was a penalty either.

Some on here will see the fact that Thomson didn't either as an argument that he's not biased. :confused:

:faf:

If he was biased, he would have given it.

Would you have given it against Hearts or the Rangers?

Hibeesmad
20-12-2018, 02:56 PM
If Porteous did that at Ibrox he would have been sent off

Cropley10
20-12-2018, 06:02 PM
:faf:

If he was biased, he would have given it.

Would you have given it against Hearts or the Rangers?

I think you're missing the point. It wasn't a penalty. I wouldn't have given it against anyone because it wasn't a penalty.

Thomson's not daft - cunning but not stupid. If he gives a penalty that isn't a penalty - one that both managers didn't think was a penalty either - he ends up with endless replays and debate, and obvious accusations of being a cheat.

When you immediately blow to avoid Hibs getting a 1v1 for a winning goal with seconds left he's done much more to nuance the outcome. It's the same with soft fouls around our box. It's the same with not booking Morelos for diving early, when he lay on the ground like he'd been shot. He takes the opportunity to make odd decisions that don't favour us when he can, very often.

Like I said you've obviously never heard ex ref's do the after-dinner thing. They're loaded with bias.

This is actually quite straight-forward. But, you know that.

Cropley10
20-12-2018, 06:07 PM
Do you think he would have waited till the last minute to get the "job done" if he wanted to cheat against us?

No-one would have criticised him for sending Porteous off.

No-one would have criticised him for awarding a penalty for handball.

Apart from you, obviously.

Yes they would - it's not a sending off and it's never a penalty. The scrutiny, the replays, the accusations would be pretty heated if he'd done either never mind both.

So - for the last time - the way to effect outcomes isn't to go around giving obviously debatable, difficult decisions against Hibs, it's to do small things to count against us. He did that - and has done that - consistently.

And - in the last minute it's nil/nil - a point each. Boyler goes round ****ger and it's 1-0 and three points - Thomson wouldn't entertain the chance of that happening.

Hibbyradge
20-12-2018, 06:27 PM
Yes they would - it's not a sending off and it's never a penalty. The scrutiny, the replays, the accusations would be pretty heated if he'd done either never mind both.

So - for the last time - the way to effect outcomes isn't to go around giving obviously debatable, difficult decisions against Hibs, it's to do small things to count against us. He did that - and has done that - consistently.

And - in the last minute it's nil/nil - a point each. Boyler goes round ****ger and it's 1-0 and three points - Thomson wouldn't entertain the chance of that happening.

Remember, didn't he give a penalty against us and send our player off although it was obviously, and proved to be, be outside the box?

Why would he wait till the last minute to "get the job done" when he had better opportunities to screw us?

Alan Stubbs thought Milligan had handled and he thought Ryan was lucky to stay on the park.

By the way, Kamberi did hit the defender with his arm, so it was a foul. Soft, maybe, but a foul nonetheless, and as correct a decision as either of the other two.

I know it's pointless to ask you to consider these counter arguments so let's just agree to disagree.

Hi Heid Yin
20-12-2018, 06:36 PM
We should thank our lucky stars that the ref had an impartial game...He could and should have red-carded Porteous for that potentially season-ending lunge.

I have no complaints about his overall performance...Like all refs he will make one or two iffy calls in a game due to the pace it is played these days.

SRHibs
20-12-2018, 06:45 PM
Why?

Too blatant? Those were the perfect opportunities. They were debatable either way. We couldn’t have accused him of cheating if Porteous got sent off, or if Milligan had conceded a penalty because we would have had no complaints.

Lago
20-12-2018, 08:08 PM
Had a decent game overall.

Eyrie
20-12-2018, 09:04 PM
I loathe Thomson but he had a decent game last night.

Talking with colleagues today I said that we got lucky with the penalty claim and Porteous. We then watched the Porteous incident and the consensus from the neutrals (1 Dundee Utd, 2 Celtc) was that it should have been a yellow card for diving.

Hibbyradge
20-12-2018, 09:10 PM
I loathe Thomson but he had a decent game last night.

Talking with colleagues today I said that we got lucky with the penalty claim and Porteous. We then watched the Porteous incident and the consensus from the neutrals (1 Dundee Utd, 2 Celtc) was that it should have been a yellow card for diving.

Really? They thought Porteous didn't commit a foul?

By the way, there's never a neutral when it comes to the Rangers.

Eyrie
20-12-2018, 09:12 PM
By the way, there's never a neutral when it comes to the Rangers.
Correct :wink: