PDA

View Full Version : Forwards unable not holding the ball up

eastcoasthibby
20-12-2018, 05:50 AM
What is it with whoever we have playing up front, just can't seem to take the ball in or protect the ball at all, when its played up to them, with any frequency.
It's either a flick on, poor touch, slow to go towards the ball or a wrong decision to try and play a first time pass that gives the ball away ! Flo just tries to get fouls without even attempting to go towards the ball or jump challenge for it, they seem scared to take challenge from defenders.
Across the board, its a poor part of our forward play, as it doesn't link up play well enough, take the pressure of the defence or get us enough fouls in good areas, coaching and clear instruction/strategy can improve this for us.

DetroitHibs
20-12-2018, 05:57 AM
Good hold up play comes with experience and having older heads give them advice. Unfortunately our forward players are still young and raw. A Mixu or Brewster type player would be perfect right now.

RIP
20-12-2018, 06:23 AM
The failure to even jump for an upfield ball is simply mystifying. Free header for the opposition every single time.

Zazu62
20-12-2018, 06:34 AM
We need another striker, grant holt would do

we are hibs
20-12-2018, 07:32 AM
Maybe they don't want balls constantly launched at them? It's become a trait this season. These floated balls forward to either wing or upfront and expecting Shaw and Flo to work wonders on their own with zero support coming from midfield most of the time. I would rather we got the ball on the deck and started doing what we are good at. Get Hyndman on the ball in behind their midfield. Get mallan further up nearer to their box. We aren't going to do that with balls being lumped up to 2 players and saying "it's your problem now, make something of that"

BOB MARLEYS DUG
20-12-2018, 07:33 AM
Maybe they don't want balls constantly launched at them? It's become a trait this season. These floated balls forward to either wing or upfront and expecting Shaw and Flo to work wonders on their own with zero support coming from midfield most of the time. I would rather we got the ball on the deck and started doing what we are good at. Get Hyndman on the ball in behind their midfield. Get mallan further up nearer to their box. We aren't going to do that with balls being lumped up to 2 players and saying "it's your problem now, make something of that"
Well said. If we get Scott Allan we will see the best of Flo/Macca again.

MWHIBBIES
20-12-2018, 07:35 AM
Look at Flo's touch to put Shaw through. That's a real piece of forward play. They could hold it up better but it's not really that simple, it still requires decent service and runners off them.

GreenNWhiteArmy
20-12-2018, 07:40 AM
When your midfielders are 40/50 yards away, what can we realistically expect from 2 players who's game isn't to hold the ball up?

Get the ball on the deck, get the runners closer to our strikers and play to their strengths.

Blaster
20-12-2018, 07:46 AM
Whilst I agree they didn’t get great service last night they have to do better holding the ball up sometimes especially when we are under the cosh. Both strikers in the first half were too easily marked and pushed off the ball

Very few runs made into the channel. It was difficult for whoever had the ball as their options were limited due to our static strikers

Keith_M
20-12-2018, 07:52 AM
Flo held the 40 yard, cross field pass from Mackie at the weekend. He scored from it. Maybe that's the kind of ball we should be playing to him, instead of a lump up the park.

In saying that, I'm not sure he would have scored if it had been against Rangers, as they closed down a lot better than Celtc did at the weekend.

we are hibs
20-12-2018, 07:56 AM
Flo held the 40 yard, cross field pass from Mackie at the weekend. He scored from it. Maybe that's the kind of ball we should be playing to him, instead of a lump up the park.

In saying that, I'm not sure he would have scored if it had been against Rangers, as they closed down a lot better than Celtc did at the weekend.

He almost had the chance to replicate it at the end of last night's game but Thompson decided once he seen him through on goal to give a foul for an imaginary elbow

wookie70
20-12-2018, 10:35 AM
Look at Flo's touch to put Shaw through. That's a real piece of forward play. They could hold it up better but it's not really that simple, it still requires decent service and runners off them. Runners and support are as much to blame as the strikers lack of ability to hold it up. Flo and Shaw play too far apart for me and the midfield don't get forward quickly enough. Both our strikers can find a pass and Flo is very good at flicks and tricks but if he is on his own without options the defenders double up on him and most times get possession back.

eastcoasthibby
20-12-2018, 07:47 PM
I agree about midfielders not suppporting quick enpihh, but my issue is the forwards just dont protect the ball well enough or work hard enough to get onto it, fair enough the quality of what comes to.them isn't great but their touch and decision making is not great !! IMHO

GoalsMcGinley
21-12-2018, 07:29 AM
It’s one of the the worst parts of Kamberi’s game for me. Hold it in. Use your body to protect the call. Draw fouls and get us up the park. It’s actually a fairly easy part of a strikers game which he needs to improve on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not In The Know
21-12-2018, 08:02 AM
The kind of pass and ball the strikers have been getting recently has been terrible. High floaty crosses to the edge of the box being the constant.