PDA

View Full Version : All 3 Aussies named in Asian Cup Squad

Forza Fred
19-12-2018, 11:26 PM
Boyle, Milligan and MacLare on international duty in January..squad just announced in Sydney.

We’ll miss them, but wish them good luck.

calumhibee1
19-12-2018, 11:30 PM
We’ll miss them numbers wise. Milligan and Maclaren haven’t played that much football recently though so other than Boyle I’m not sure we’ll miss them too much, especially if we get some signings in while they’re away.

hibby6270
19-12-2018, 11:36 PM
Remember though that the Group stage games take place during our winter break. Only if the Socceroos qualify for the knockout rounds, we potentially wouldn’t have them available from the Scottish Cup game through to 1st Feb(ish). So not all doom and gloom.

Sir David Gray
19-12-2018, 11:38 PM
Does having the three of them away not mean that we can have our matches postponed until they are back?

Smartie
19-12-2018, 11:44 PM
Does having the three of them away not mean that we can have our matches postponed until they are back?

Not sure, but would we not probably be better trying to get by without these 3 for a bit than having a fixture pile-up later in the season?

Ozyhibby
19-12-2018, 11:50 PM
Not sure, but would we not probably be better trying to get by without these 3 for a bit than having a fixture pile-up later in the season?

That rule only applies for UEFA games.
Only Boyle will be a big miss. The other two have been a great disappointment this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hermit Crab
20-12-2018, 12:06 AM
Boyle, Milligan and MacLare on international duty in January..squad just announced in Sydney.

We’ll miss them, but wish them good luck.

**** knows how.

Forza Fred
20-12-2018, 12:09 AM
Remember though that the Group stage games take place during our winter break. Only if the Socceroos qualify for the knockout rounds, we potentially wouldn’t have them available from the Scottish Cup game through to 1st Feb(ish). So not all doom and gloom.

They assemble in Jordan on Boxing Day

CMurdoch
20-12-2018, 12:15 AM

Are our guys joining up on that date or staying here for the Hearts game before flying out?

EH54
20-12-2018, 12:40 AM
**** knows how.

Agreed. Maclaren certainly doesn't deserve a call up.

Forza Fred
20-12-2018, 12:43 AM
Are our guys joining up on that date or staying here for the Hearts game before flying out?

Good question.

Graham Arnold, the coach just said on the telly that Tom Rogic wanted to fly out after the Celtic v Rangers game, but he said he needed him there earlier.

He also said that they would be arriving on the 26 th and 27th.

NAE NOOKIE
20-12-2018, 01:46 AM
As others have said given their contribution ( or lack of it ) over the last couple of months Milligan and MacLaren will be no big miss. Boyle is a different matter, though even he hasn't been at the level of last season.

At least they will be in warmer climes and that hopefully will encourage them to rediscover their form and enthusiasm.

Lets hope when they come back they will look at our new additions and wonder how they are going to get back into the first team squad :greengrin

Hi Heid Yin
20-12-2018, 01:53 AM
Boyle has been blowing hot and cold (mostly cold) this season, but always carries a threat, so he will be the only one we might miss.

Milligan, after a promising start, has faded badly, and Maclaren's season just has not taken off or even got going.

I don't think we need worry too much about our season being impacted detrimentally during their absence.

eastcoasthibby
20-12-2018, 05:30 AM
Whilst I get peoples view on their lack of positive contribution recently they are all players that we could do with as they can give us something. Just wonder how much coincidence rests with their added poor.form since.the last Australia trip ? Are there heads with playing for Australia or Hibs first ? Wonder if they will manage to to be fit for the period they're away, without some knock /inhjury keeping them from playing or will that be for when we get them back ? Is it.coincidence that this seems to be the first time this season we have all 3 fit at the same time !! Pity their club form seems to bare no influence on them getting selected, cos if it did maybe we would have seen and got more from them this season ....I think they out of committment to the club should stay.til after the Derby !!

Scorrie
20-12-2018, 05:55 AM
Not sure we’ll miss Milligan too much based on last night. Thought Mackie had earned some game time based on his performance v Celtic so hopefully we’ll see him in the next couple of games

Forza Fred
20-12-2018, 06:04 AM
Whilst I get peoples view on their lack of positive contribution recently they are all players that we could do with as they can give us something. Just wonder how much coincidence rests with their added poor.form since.the last Australia trip ? Are there heads with playing for Australia or Hibs first ? Wonder if they will manage to to be fit for the period they're away, without some knock /inhjury keeping them from playing or will that be for when we get them back ? Is it.coincidence that this seems to be the first time this season we have all 3 fit at the same time !! Pity their club form seems to bare no influence on them getting selected, cos if it did maybe we would have seen and got more from them this season ....I think they out of committment to the club should stay.til after the Derby !!

Been a long time since Hibs had a potential club v country clash of such proportions.

Certainly the culture in Oz is definitely on the side of the national team ...club interests are basically discounted if players are needed for international matches...even youth internationals.

Not sure if the three have been given an exemption to get to the training camp after the Hearts game, but the Australian coach this morning said that while he understood Tommy Rogic’s wish to fly out after the Celtic - Rangers clash, he told him he needed him out before that,

As Hibs play Hearts the same day it does raise the question as to what the expectations are in regard to their arrival in camp.

Rogic maybe a special case as he has been nursing an injury, but I just don’t know about our trio, and presumably it will all be clarified soon.

JimBHibees
20-12-2018, 06:34 AM
If all 3 miss the derby would be a big loss given how small the squad is at present.

we are hibs
20-12-2018, 07:28 AM
Maclaren and Milligan not being here won't make much of a difference. Neither will Boyle on his last few months of form the but we will miss his pace.

Frazerbob
20-12-2018, 07:33 AM
This is precisely why I didn’t join the whooping and hollering when Boyle received his call up. If fit, 2 of the three would start the Derby IMHO with the third on the bench ready to come on if we’re behind. A big loss if they have to fly out on the 26th.

B.H.F.C
20-12-2018, 08:06 AM
If we lose them for the derby that’ll be a blow with us already having a thin squad.

I’d expect them all to play some part in the next couple of games before they are away.

Last night showed that we’ll need to mix the team up a bit to keep it fresh IMO.

we are hibs
20-12-2018, 08:22 AM
If we lose them for the derby that’ll be a blow with us already having a thin squad.

I’d expect them all to play some part in the next couple of games before they are away.

Last night showed that we’ll need to mix the team up a bit to keep it fresh IMO.

The derbies next week? The competition isn't until January why would they not be here for the derby?

Billy Whizz
20-12-2018, 08:26 AM
If all 3 miss the derby would be a big loss given how small the squad is at present.

Seemingly can’t play against Hearts according to this
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46630908

calumhibee1
20-12-2018, 08:27 AM
The derbies next week? The competition isn't until January why would they not be here for the derby?

Rogic has apparently been told he needs to meet up with the squad before the OF game which is the same day as our derby. Would presume our guys have to be there the same time.

davhibby
20-12-2018, 08:27 AM

The derby is a week before their first game. They'll all be there by then. BBC story up now saying this. Also suggests we could postpone it if we wanted to

hibee_girl
20-12-2018, 08:28 AM
The derby is a week before their first game. They'll all be there by then. BBC story up now saying this. Also suggests we could postpone it if we wanted to

Also says we’ve decided against asking to postpone

we are hibs
20-12-2018, 08:29 AM
Rogic has apparently been told he needs to meet up with the squad before the OF game which is the same day as our derby. Would presume our guys have to be there the same time.

I had read the boy son from spurs was due to leave after spurs played man u on the 13th January so assumed it was a mid January start

Zazu62
20-12-2018, 08:29 AM
Seemingly can’t play against Hearts according to this
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46630908

What a shambles. How they have even been called up is a mystery they haven’t kicked a ball for Hibs

J-C
20-12-2018, 08:31 AM
Won't miss MacLaren, Milligan will be missed as a squad payer and Boyle will be missed because he's a 1st team pick most weeks.

Since90+2
20-12-2018, 08:52 AM
Probably wishful thinking but I wonder if Boyle might potentially withdraw? Suppose it depends how much he enjoyed the experience before and with all the travelling involved along with potentially being away from his young family for a long period of time

Billy Whizz
20-12-2018, 09:06 AM
Seeming Spurs player doesn’t join up until the 13th Alan?

http://www.espn.co.uk/soccer/tottenham-hotspur/story/3732742/tottenham-confirm-son-heung-min-will-go-to-asian-cup-after-man-united-game

BoomtownHibees
20-12-2018, 09:06 AM

She will be delighted

Famous Fiver
20-12-2018, 09:15 AM
Can't believe some of the know alls on here say some/all won't be missed.

In my opinion this is a direct negative criticism of Neil Lennon who obviously is happy to work with these players. They all have and will make a positive contribution to our season.

I really shake my head when I see some of the anti Hibs player drivel on this (and other) threads.

Rant over

Billy Whizz
20-12-2018, 09:18 AM

In my opinion this is a direct negative criticism of Neil Lennon who obviously is happy to work with these players. They all have and will make a positive contribution to our season.

I really shake my head when I see some of the anti Hibs player drivel on this (and other) threads.

Rant over

I’d play them all on Boxing Day, leaves 3 players fresh for the Derby

Forza Fred
20-12-2018, 09:46 AM

Rant over

I think I can honestly state that there is not ONE player who has not been overly criticised at some point on this forum by someone who passionately believes s/he is right.

This thread is about Australian internationalists’ hence it is their turn to cop it.

Start a thread on the midfield and they will get it tight, and heaven forbid if we start one on full backs....

Forza Fred
20-12-2018, 10:00 AM
Probably wishful thinking but I wonder if Boyle might potentially withdraw? Suppose it depends how much he enjoyed the experience before and with all the travelling involved along with potentially being away from his young family for a long period of time

Don’t remember too many Players chosen for the World Cup finals pulling out because they will be away a month, unless for life or death situations, as happened with an Oz goalkeeper a few years ago.

The Asian Cup is not the World Cup, but it is the equivalent of your European Championship, so can’t see that happening...if he did he would effectively finishing his international career

Souter96Mac
20-12-2018, 10:07 AM
This means we definitely need numbers in come January. Potentially 3, maybe even 4. Another striker, a Winger, Scott Allan, and maybe another combative midfielder.

Frazerbob
20-12-2018, 10:17 AM
I think I can honestly state that there is not ONE player who has not been overly criticised at some point on this forum by someone who passionately believes s/he is right.

This thread is about Australian internationalists’ hence it is their turn to cop it.

Start a thread on the midfield and they will get it tight, and heaven forbid if we start one on full backs....

Spot on. This place is ridiculous.

Hibernian32
20-12-2018, 11:07 AM
What has Mclaren done to get a call up? When he came to us it was to reignite his international career but since he's been called up he's done nothing in the last 6 months he's played a handful of games, Porto hasn't scored more goals than him ffs

Hermit Crab
20-12-2018, 11:10 AM
]What has Mclaren done to get a call up?[/B] When he came to us it was to reignite his international career but since he's been called up he's done nothing in the last 6 months he's played a handful of games, Porto hasn't scored more goals than him ffs

He's gash.

Callum_62
20-12-2018, 11:12 AM
3 folk missing because they are assessed as being international standard, but we wont miss them apparently

All due to a kid have a good 45 mins first team action

Boyle is the biggest blow - the other 2 add something to our squad, and Milligan maybe a starter

Hermit Crab
20-12-2018, 11:14 AM
3 folk missing because they are assessed as being international standard, but we wont miss them apparently

All due to a kid have a good 45 mins first team action

Boyle is the biggest blow - the other 2 add something to our squad, and Milligan maybe a starter

Not one of them played against Celtic, the champions. How did that go for us?

theonlywayisup
20-12-2018, 11:17 AM
She will be delighted

That is funny!

Blaster
20-12-2018, 11:19 AM

We are still light on numbers HC especially for so many games in a short space of time. We will have to hope that we get no further injuries in the next 2 games and that Gray & Hanlon can make the squad

calumhibee1
20-12-2018, 12:27 PM
We are still light on numbers HC especially for so many games in a short space of time. We will have to hope that we get no further injuries in the next 2 games and that Gray & Hanlon can make the squad

They’re only missing for one of this run of games mind. After that they’ll miss Elgin in the cup (you’d like to think they’re not required for that) Motherwell and St Mirren by which point the window will nearly be shut so we will hopefully have some new bodies in anyway.

Blaster
20-12-2018, 12:30 PM
They’re only missing for one of this run of games mind. After that they’ll miss Elgin in the cup (you’d like to think they’re not required for that) Motherwell and St Mirren by which point the window will nearly be shut so we will hopefully have some new bodies in anyway.

To be honest mate it’s only the hearts game I’m worried about for the reasons you have given. Transfer window open and hopefully injured
players back.

Billy Whizz
20-12-2018, 12:44 PM
Presume we’ll get a handsome payment for them appearing in the tournament

JimBHibees
20-12-2018, 12:49 PM
What a shambles. How they have even been called up is a mystery they haven’t kicked a ball for Hibs

Really, they have all kicked a ball for Hibs but some due to injury etc havent as much as others. Huge loss given the injuries we currently have with 2 tough games coming up prior to the derby.

.Sean.
20-12-2018, 12:55 PM
Do Hibs need to release them?

If not Lennon should be telling Australia you’re waiting til after the 29th and that’s that.

JimBHibees
20-12-2018, 12:57 PM
Do Hibs need to release them?

If not Lennon should be telling Australia you’re waiting til after the 29th and that’s that.

Assuming they do yes.

MWHIBBIES
20-12-2018, 01:08 PM

A magnificent sample size

MWHIBBIES
20-12-2018, 01:09 PM
Apparently Son from Spurs only joining South Korea squad on the 13 of January

3pm
20-12-2018, 01:10 PM
Apparently Son from Spurs only joining South Korea squad on the 13 of June.

How many rounds are there?

MWHIBBIES
20-12-2018, 01:16 PM
How many rounds are there?

:faf: woops

Gloucester Hibs
20-12-2018, 02:00 PM
Just seen Celtic are hopeful of retaining Rogic to play in the old firm game :hmmm:

Hibeesmad
20-12-2018, 02:23 PM
Apparently Son from Spurs only joining South Korea squad on the 13 of January

He’s missing the first two group games as an agreement between Spurs and KFA part of his involvement in the Asian Games back in August/September

silverhibee
20-12-2018, 04:01 PM
She will be delighted

:greengrin

Future17
20-12-2018, 07:31 PM
He’s missing the first two group games as an agreement between Spurs and KFA part of his involvement in the Asian Games back in August/September

Which he only played in to avoid military service.

BILLYHIBS
23-12-2018, 09:07 AM
Is that it then?

Are our boys away?

:dunno:

Hibeesmad
23-12-2018, 09:10 AM
Boyle will be a huge miss for the derby

Heckys Wheel
23-12-2018, 09:22 AM
Boyle is a huge miss for the derby. Milligan will be missed as well. McLaren shouldn’t even be in the Australia squad but doesn’t seem to be in Lennon’s plans at the moment anyway.

Sir David Gray
23-12-2018, 09:23 AM
Is that it then?

Are our boys away?

:dunno:

They're leaving on the 27th I think.

All of them are available for Ibrox on the 26th.

BILLYHIBS
23-12-2018, 09:29 AM
They're leaving on the 27th I think.

All of them are available for Ibrox on the 26th.

Thanks for that SDG

Not as bad as I thought

:thumbsup: