PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (The Rangers 19122018)

Jonnyboy
19-12-2018, 10:38 PM
After my mystery virus had prevented me from attending last Sunday’s brilliant win against Celtic, I wasn’t about to give it another chance to keep me away so I dragged myself down to Easter Road in the hope that the ‘other weegie cheek’ might suffer the same fate. It was not to be.

Neil Lennon went with the same starting eleven and nobody could fault his logic. Unfortunately, the Rangers were much more aggressive than a passive Celtic team had been and Gerrard got his tactics right by having his men do to us what we did to Celtic. From the off they pressed us when we had the ball and Mallan in particular seemed to have three players surrounding him every time he got possession. Midfield partners Slivka, Horgan and Hyndman couldn’t seem to get into the game and as a result, very little was created whilst Rangers swarmed around our eighteen yard box at every opportunity.

Around the fifteen minute mark, Rocky collected a poor cross by Tavernier but as he fell to the ground it was immediately apparent that he had suffered some kind of injury. It looked to me like a calf muscle problem and the physio quickly established that he needed to be replaced by Adam Bogdan and it wasn’t long before the replacement keeper was in action, twice denying Morelos with excellent saves. At the other end, Shaw curled a shot wide of the post from about twenty yards before a header from a Rangers corner looked to be on target until Lewis Stevenson threw himself full length at the low ball and headed it clear.

I lost count of the number of passes that Hibs players attempted without reaching their target and it seemed clear that the exertions of Sunday had taken their toll, with the home players very sluggish at times. Thankfully, the Rangers were failing to punish us, mostly due to the profligate Morelos who was giving Ryan Porteous a testing time with his strength on the ball.

Mark Milligan replaced Daryl Horgan at half time, I’m guessing in an attempt to beef up our midfield. It worked to an extent but when Oli Shaw was given two golden opportunities to break the deadlock he couldn’t convert either. I thought that with the first he knew he only had McGregor to beat but that the Rangers keeper was in fine form. I felt Oli tried to hammer the ball hard but in doing so he sent it over the bar. The second was a tad easier but again his effort cleared the bar.

At the other end, Morelos had a couple of good chances but Bogdan saved the first whilst his second cleared the far post after he had turned Efe inside out to create the chance. A Tavernier free kick looked too close for comfort before a Morelos effort deflected off the shoulder of Milligan and went out for a corner. “Penalty” roared the visiting fans – “no chance” said Craig Thomson. As the clock ticked down, Hibs enjoyed a wee bit more possession but an attempt to set Boyle free was curtailed by the Rangers man reaching the ball first. Porteous was then booked for a rash challenge on Coulibaly when it might have been a red as it was high and a tad late. Right at the death, Kamberi and Goldson challenged for the ball with Flo winning out but as Goldson hit the deck like a sack of tatties and Flo through on goal, Craig Thomson blew for a foul that I’m pretty sure he was the only one in the ground to see.

At the end of the day we rode our luck but looking at it from a positive point of view we kept a clean sheet again, took our tally to four points from the two games and despite obvious tiredness ran until we dropped to protect the point earned.

The players

Rocky – I really felt for the guy tonight. He’d patiently waited on his chance to recapture the jersey and then had to go off with an injury.

Adam – Cold off the bench I thought he was excellent with two vital saves in the first half and a generally competent display for the rest of the game.

Whitty – I thought he started slowly, got caught out a couple of times but went on to improve for the rest of the game. The Rangers man Grezda looks a handful but Whitty coped with him for the most part.

Efe – Calm and composed for the majority of the game he was rash on a couple of occasions in trying to get to the ball first, only for Morelos to turn him. Efe didn’t look too clever either when Morelos turned him inside out in our six yard box.

Ryan – Has the heart of a lion and put Morelos in his place when the Rangers man made an outrageous dive in trying to win a penalty. I have to say though that he allowed himself to be dragged out of the centre a few times and his yellow card was for a pretty poor challenge.

Lewis – There was one occasion in the first half when that man Morelos again got the better of him but as for the remainder of the game he didn’t put a foot wrong defensively and earns my man of the match award, just pipping Adam at the post.

Slivka – After a cracking first half against Celtic he was unable to impose himself as much tonight but I can’t help but think the poor form of his midfield team mates didn’t help his cause.

Stevie – Against Celtic he was majestic, against the Rangers he was all over the place. Gave the ball away far too often either with a poor pass or when caught in possession.

Emerson – I felt he flitted in and out of the game. I love how he can take a pass on the turn and stride forward but tonight he was often muscled off the ball.

Daryl – Another who failed to live up to Sunday’s performance I can only recall a couple of excellent crosses and little else.

Oli – This poor laddie will be having nightmares tonight as he missed two golden opportunities to score and didn’t take either.

Flo – Worked very hard but got little change out of the Rangers rear guard.

Mark – I loved this guy when he first arrived but he seems to be struggling with his form at the minute. His introduction did help but he found himself bypassed a few too many times.

Boyler – I hoped his pace would trouble Rangers but he hardly got involved if truth be told.

Neil – I heard his interview and felt he was very honest in his assessment.

Craig Thomson – Didn’t get a lot wrong to be fair although the ‘foul’ at the death was surely only in his mind.

The fans – Unlike a subdued Celtic support, the Rangers fans were noisy from start to finish. It never ceases to amaze me that the ‘minority’ the club alludes too when sectarian chanting etc. goes on, actually succeed in grabbing all the tickets for away games.

Our fans were noisy but a tad disjointed in their singing with the fans in the FF Upper singing completely different songs to the fans in the East. At the final whistle there were some boos but I’ve no idea why!

Brooster
19-12-2018, 10:47 PM
Stevenson man of the match? C'mon Johnny.

Johnny Clash
19-12-2018, 10:49 PM
Another great summary. Boos at the end were definitely aimed at the Referee.

Jonnyboy

My man of the match, aye but obviously not yours, S 😉

3pm

He was good.

Greenbeard
19-12-2018, 10:51 PM
Sound assessment within which, two words sum it up. "Profligate Morelos".
A stollen point for Christmas.

Brooster
19-12-2018, 10:53 PM
He was good.

He never won a header and over hit every pass. Teams target him because he is our weak link. In my opinion of course.

GlesgaeHibby
19-12-2018, 10:53 PM
My man of the match, aye but obviously not yours, S 😉

Poor game by his standards. First half looked out of sorts, much better second half though.

wookie70
19-12-2018, 10:55 PM
He was good.

Stevenson was very good bit Porteous would have been my motm

Jonnyboy
19-12-2018, 10:57 PM
He never won a header and over hit every pass. Teams target him because he is our weak link. In my opinion of course.

Not surprised with your take on it, S as you’ve made it very clear in the past that you don’t rate him 😳

Greenbeard
19-12-2018, 10:57 PM
Stevenson was very good bit Porteous would have been my motm
Same. Or Bogdan.

MWHIBBIES
19-12-2018, 10:59 PM
He never won a header and over hit every pass. Teams target him because he is our weak link. In my opinion of course.Teams targeting him must not be working well because thats 3 clean sheets in a row. Lewis was very solid tonight. Only complaint from me is he slowed us down a bit going forward.

Brooster
19-12-2018, 11:02 PM
Not surprised with your take on it, S as you’ve made it very clear in the past that you don’t rate him 😳

I don't, he is limited to say the least. He is steady enough but that's all we ever get from him. In my opinion he was nowhere near motm tonight.

Centre Hawf
Don’t think many come out of tonight with pass marks truth be told. Porteous and Efe did well with Bogdan saving us.

I thought Mallan had an absolute stinker tonight and had there been more depth in the midfield and an extra sub available would have likely found himself off the park. Perhaps needs a rest or just generally dropped on Saturday.

Green Man
Stevenson man of the match for me as well.

ehf
19-12-2018, 11:05 PM
Same. Or Bogdan.

Bogdan for me, particularly as he would not have been expecting to feature.

truehibernian
19-12-2018, 11:07 PM
Stevenson man of the match for me as well.

I love Lewy but not in a million years was he MotM tonight - that goes to Bogdan or Efe (with Ryan close too).

Neither full back had any decent out ball tonight which was hugely frustrating. I'd like a right and left back who rather than cut inside or take the safe option, take the opposition full backs on and make them work. Tavernier had the quietest game defending he has ever had against us tonight which is disappointing as he is an awful defender.

Jonnyboy
19-12-2018, 11:11 PM
I love Lewy but not in a million years was he MotM tonight - that goes to Bogdan or Efe (with Ryan close too).

Neither full back had any decent out ball tonight which was hugely frustrating. I'd like a right and left back who rather than cut inside or take the safe option, take the opposition full backs on and make them work. Tavernier had the quietest game defending he has ever had against us tonight which is disappointing as he is an awful defender.

Opinions, eh 😀

calumhibee1
19-12-2018, 11:11 PM
Bogdan my MOTM by a mile.

BILLYHIBS
19-12-2018, 11:12 PM
Great report as usual JC

Were you standing beside me in the pub tonight as it is almost verbatim my take on things

I gave Lewis man of the match for his goal line clearance

Still cannot believe The Rangers and Olly did not score and complained that Flo was right thru one on one with McGregor before being pulled back for an imaginary foul by the Hearts barsteward!

truehibernian
19-12-2018, 11:20 PM
Opinions, eh 😀

He uncharacteristically gave the ball away second half too many times for me JB, too often choosing a pass inside rather than taking the ball for a wander, or a couple of times playing aimless passes which is most unlike Lewy.

He wasn't helped with lack of options and the forwards not holding the ball in.

monktonharp
19-12-2018, 11:30 PM
downside, another 2 home points dropped.upside, knocked der hun from the top, and another point closer to the gorgie mob.

Hermit Crab
19-12-2018, 11:48 PM

:agree:. I share that opinion but you get shot down on here for criticising him.

Hi Heid Yin
20-12-2018, 01:03 AM
Before the game I wondered if our midfield would turn up and impose themselves on Sevco, and sadly Slivka, Hyndeman, Horgan and Mallan - did not deliver for us (creatively).

Sevco quite simply got their tactics spot on and were all over us in the middle.

How this Rangers tribute act did not come away with a win was due to their own failings in front of goal, our keeper, Bogdan (my MOTM),

an impressive backs-to-the-wall performance from our defence and Lady Luck!

And talking of luck: Porteous was a lucky, lucky boy not to be sent off.

That was a red if ever I saw one.

truehibernian
20-12-2018, 01:14 AM
Before the game I wondered if our midfield would turn up and impose themselves on Sevco, and sadly Slivka, Hyndeman, Horgan and Mallan - did not deliver for us (creatively).

Sevco quite simply got their tactics spot on and were all over us in the middle.

How this Rangers tribute act did not come away with a win was due to their own failings in front of goal, our keeper, Bogdan (my MOTM),

an impressive backs-to-the-wall performance from our defence and Lady Luck!

And talking of luck: Porteous was a lucky, lucky boy not to be sent off.

That was a red if ever I saw one.

So was Scott Brown's on Slivka :aok: full blooded challenges, both of them, sad days when they are red cards though. Shame thought that the authorities don't punish cheating like Coulibaly's first half when he tried to get Whitty booked / red carded :agree: for me that's a red card offence :aok:

Hi Heid Yin
20-12-2018, 01:23 AM
So was Scott Brown's on Slivka :aok: full blooded challenges, both of them, sad days when they are red cards though. Shame thought that the authorities don't punish cheating like Coulibaly's first half when he tried to get Whitty booked / red carded :agree: for me that's a red card offence :aok:

Good point re The brown incident.

I'm from the old school and remember that day when "Sloop" up-ended Rangers enforcer John Greig, and walked away as though butter wouldn't melt in his mouth.

The tackles in those days were cringing and leg-breaking (Brownlie anyone?) but refs turned a blind eye frequently...slide tackles from behind with "studs-into-heels" was a given in every game.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e43/hibbybrian/JohnGreigvJohnBlackley.jpg

SeanWilson
20-12-2018, 01:33 AM
Stevenson wasn't motm. Had a half decent game but is a major issue with a) not running diagonal off the line and b) unable to make a pass rather than stopping and tracking back. Which has been his problem forever. Porteous is a great wee player who needs to chill the **** out, he's literally going to break someone in half. Efe, was efe. He's brilliant when the team are free flowing, not so much when everyone else off it. Whittaker, ok, but a) needs others to play to his strengths and b) needs protection as his legs are shot. Slivka, who knows what plant pot he sometimes pops from but he was hiding in the garden tonight. Horgan, played well and one of my few first half pass marks, not a scooby why he was replaced rather than Mallan. Mallan, absent, spent the whole game blaming others for his mistakes. Hyndman, kept involved and did well to follow his umpteen different formation changes throughout the game, especially when pushed on last 20. Shaw, did well but lacked the extra second required to compose and finish those chances. Flo, not too bad, leggy and could have done better. Subs, Bogdan great saves but felt defence were shakey around him for some reason, rest kind of made sense except I'd never have subbed Horgan. Milligan, he's a player for sure, the ball he played for Boyle halfway through second half was a peach, had he been on the touchline. Team playing so poorly doesn't help a player in his role. Boyle was useless.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

NAE NOOKIE
20-12-2018, 01:35 AM
How it feels is we got away with one tonight, they were the better team by some way. I wondered before the game if we could keep up the same intensity as Sunday and clearly the answer was no. That doesn't take away the fact that there was some brave defending by the lads at the back.

Marciano …. 5 ….. Wasn't really tested before having to go off injured.

Whittaker …. 6 …. To be fair to him he stuck to his task pretty well, but at times his lack of pace and dithering on the ball were there for all to see.

Ambrose …. 7 …. Did some great defending at times, but he was also beaten more than once because he dived in a wee bit, tried hard to push us up the park, but too often didn't have anybody finding space for a quick forward pass.

Porteous …. 7 ….. Put in a great shift, but found it harder than Sunday IMO ….. put in a couple of real levellers on Sevco players, but one of these days he will get himself sent off, he was a wee bit lucky to only see a yellow for that one in the second half. NL said on the radio he wasn't too happy with that challenge and would be having a word, but I would hate to see Porteous go in with any less 'enthusiasm' …. loved the way he gave it tight to that diving little prick too.

Stevenson …. 7 …. I thought Lewis had an excellent game and twice stopped net bound shots, one of which would have KO'd a lesser moral. It was clear that Sevco were targeting him with every clearance and goal kick and he did lose quite a few headers … but that happens to smaller defenders and it was up to Hibs to identify what was happening and help him out.

Mallan ….. 6 ….. As prominent as he was in the Celtic game he wasn't in this game, with far less time to see and find his passes and far less energetic as well, when he did get a pass away his accuracy was well down on Sunday.

Horgan …. 5 …. I do like his attitude in that when he gets the ball his first thought is to get at the defence, trouble was he didn't get the ball very much … also from where I was sitting when he had that run and shot in the first half it looked as if a pass to the Hibs player to his right would have been the better option.

Hyndman …. 6 …. He did try to get involved, but once again his lack of physicality was shown up as he was too easily eased off the ball and he failed to win many second balls, to be fair to him that was a failing of the whole Hibs midfield for most of the evening.

Slivka …. 6 ….. Started quite well, but faded out of the game after half an hour and didn't have a great deal of influence on it thereafter which was a shame considering his excellent showing for 45 minutes against Celtic. Nearly made a great chance for himself in the second half, but lost out when he failed to pull the trigger when he had the chance, taking one touch too many and being robbed of the ball.

Shaw …. 6 …. He worked hard to try and close down their defence to be fair to him and he did really well to get in front of the Sevco defender to create the first of his two good chances, but he would have hoped to do better with both of them.

Kamberi …. 6 …. Worked hard, but he got very little service with Hibs having no width because both Stevenson and Whittaker were pretty well nullified as an attacking force by the Sevco midfield and defence. Should have had a clear chance to win it at the death, with only Hearts legend Craig Thomson seeing the apparent foul which he is supposed to have committed on the Sevco defender.

SUBS:

Bogdan …. 9 ….. Was solid throughout and made two outstanding saves in the first half, the one with his leg would have made David de Gea proud, it was world class IMO.

Milligan … 5 …. Did ok, but he still looks a bit short of being the player he was when he first came.

Boyle …. 5 …. Barely involved, but I'm scratching my head as to why he was being played on the left when practically every Hibs attack in the second half was coming down the Sevco left. I also cant help wondering if the Boyle of 12 months ago would have allowed Jack to get back and tackle him when he gave away the ball … it does look like he is half a yard slower than he was.

What I will say is even though we weren't at the level we were against Celtic and we did ride our luck a bit all of the players stuck at it and never gave up, the pace and intensity had dropped a bit from Sunday, but the will to take something from the game hadn't and they all deserve credit for that.

Onceinawhile
20-12-2018, 06:09 AM
Sound assessment within which, two words sum it up. "Profligate Morelos".
A stollen point for Christmas.

Assuming this is a pun and not a spelling mistake. Greenbeard gets my motm.

Golden Bear
20-12-2018, 06:26 AM
Bogdan my MOTM by a mile.

:agree:

Fuzzywuzzy
20-12-2018, 07:10 AM
Stevensons goal line clearance from the corner was a vital moment.

*might have been mallan

hibee_girl
20-12-2018, 07:11 AM
I don’t tbink Lewis was MOTM but he didn’t have a bad game at all. His goal line clearance was brilliant considering how low it was.

Bogdan was my MOTM

calumhibee1
20-12-2018, 07:17 AM
Stevensons goal line clearance from the corner was a vital moment.

*might have been mallan

It was Stevenson. Seemed unorthodox but it got the job done :greengrin

MB62
20-12-2018, 07:55 AM
I don’t tbink Lewis was MOTM but he didn’t have a bad game at all. His goal line clearance was brilliant considering how low it was.

Bogdan was my MOTM

I thought all the plaudits for this game went to the defenders but in particular Bogdan, Porteous and Stevenson. Ryan blotted his copy book slightly with that tackle (although against them, I LOVE it) but I thought Lewis didn't put a foot wrong and I wouldn't argue with him being given MOTM. It wasn't just his fantastic goal line header, he immediately followed that up with another block as the shot came back in from his clearance.

Greenbeard
20-12-2018, 09:12 AM
Assuming this is a pun and not a spelling mistake. Greenbeard gets my motm.
Cheers. Icing sugar on the cake.

Jonnyboy
20-12-2018, 08:37 PM
I enjoy writing my thoughts out and truly appreciate the supporting remarks, so thank you.

I also like the fact that my thoughts can occasionally generate debate. This time my man of the match was not a universally popular choice :greengrin and on reflection perhaps Adam would have been a worthier winner.

So why did I go for Lewis? Essentially I felt we were under the cosh for large parts of the game and that meant a lot of defending. I looked at the back four and thought ….. Whitty - not bad but not great; Efe - I've watched the highlights and they confirm Morelos gave him a torrid time. Also, his forays forward were much affected by us lying so deep; Ryan - also found Morelos a handful and was caught out of position a few times when he decided to do an Efe and bomb forward. Just prior to his booking he tried to take Morelos out in the centre circle and (thankfully) missed. To Lewis - he defended very well indeed and if you watch the highlights you'll see how good that was. Yes, he lost out on a couple of headers but he won his fair share too and his forward pass to Kamberi that was flicked on to Oli for the first chance deserves to be acknowledged. I agree there were a couple of times that he just put the ball into space down the left but surely that was better than getting caught in possession which all three of the remaining back four were guilty of on occasion.

Anyway, I've got that off my chest now so thanks for reading and ………. feel free to disagree :greengrin

TrinityHibs
20-12-2018, 10:10 PM
In order
Bogdan
Efe/Lewis...Lewis/Efe
Ryan

After that hard to say as we were not great but possibly Whitts as we somehow didn’t concede a goal but maybe Morelos for being poor

blackpoolhibs
22-12-2018, 06:58 AM
I enjoy writing my thoughts out and truly appreciate the supporting remarks, so thank you.

I also like the fact that my thoughts can occasionally generate debate. This time my man of the match was not a universally popular choice :greengrin and on reflection perhaps Adam would have been a worthier winner.

So why did I go for Lewis? Essentially I felt we were under the cosh for large parts of the game and that meant a lot of defending. I looked at the back four and thought ….. Whitty - not bad but not great; Efe - I've watched the highlights and they confirm Morelos gave him a torrid time. Also, his forays forward were much affected by us lying so deep; Ryan - also found Morelos a handful and was caught out of position a few times when he decided to do an Efe and bomb forward. Just prior to his booking he tried to take Morelos out in the centre circle and (thankfully) missed. To Lewis - he defended very well indeed and if you watch the highlights you'll see how good that was. Yes, he lost out on a couple of headers but he won his fair share too and his forward pass to Kamberi that was flicked on to Oli for the first chance deserves to be acknowledged. I agree there were a couple of times that he just put the ball into space down the left but surely that was better than getting caught in possession which all three of the remaining back four were guilty of on occasion.

Anyway, I've got that off my chest now so thanks for reading and ………. feel free to disagree :greengrin

I also disagreed with your selection for MOM, but he was up there in my opinion with a shout. :agree:

theonlywayisup
22-12-2018, 07:57 AM

At the game, I mentioned that teams do seem to target Lewis. Not because he's poor, but more because he's small. Laugherty always seemed to play against him. Sinclair on Sunday. Again on Wednesday.

However, I also reflected at the game that he generally comes up on top on most of those encounters. He has a great attitude to playing for Hibs and I'm sure he has a much higher pain threshold that players much bigger than him. We are lucky to have him.

He wasn't Man of the Match IMO, but I still think he played okay in a game that no-one in a Hibs shirt excelled, apart from Bogdan. His saves, as much as The Ranger's poor finishing was the reason we won.

BILLYHIBS
22-12-2018, 09:00 AM
At the game, I mentioned that teams do seem to target Lewis. Not because he's poor, but more because he's small. Laugherty always seemed to play against him. Sinclair on Sunday. Again on Wednesday.

However, I also reflected at the game that he generally comes up on top on most of those encounters. He has a great attitude to playing for Hibs and I'm sure he has a much higher pain threshold that players much bigger than him. We are lucky to have him.

He wasn't Man of the Match IMO, but I still think he played okay in a game that no-one in a Hibs shirt excelled, apart from Bogdan. His saves, as much as The Ranger's poor finishing was the reason we won.

Drew!

Eyrie
22-12-2018, 09:59 AM
Drew!

Felt like a win though after the battering we took.

BILLYHIBS
22-12-2018, 10:35 AM
[QUOTE=Eyrie;5637654]Felt like a win though after the battering we took.[/QUOT

:thumbsup: